Moparts

Making progress on TKO install

Posted By: dfsmopars

Making progress on TKO install - 02/02/18 05:22 AM

Purchased a conversion kit from SST to take my ‘72 Charger from A/T to five speed M/T. It’s slow at two or three hours at a time here and there but the pedals and clutch master cylinder are in. Steering column is been converted. Time to confirm some measurements for the clutch disc clearance then it should be time to cut the tunnel. By far the biggest upgrade for me to date.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Making progress on TKO install - 02/02/18 01:00 PM

Cool, and OD manual is fun!
Posted By: lockjaw-express

Re: Making progress on TKO install - 02/02/18 03:46 PM

Let’s see some pictures of your install progress!

Re: Making progress on TKO install - 02/02/18 05:16 PM

Master cylinder mounted

Attached picture IMG_0699.jpg

Re: Making progress on TKO install - 02/02/18 05:18 PM

Pedal connected

Attached picture IMG_0697.jpg

Re: Making progress on TKO install - 02/03/18 12:12 AM

Originally Posted By dfsmopars
Master cylinder mounted

You likely received another bracket to go from the master cyl mounting bolt down to the frame to keep the firewall deflecting. My kit from sst included that.

Re: Making progress on TKO install - 02/03/18 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By GoodysGotaCuda
Master cylinder mounted

You likely received another bracket to go from the master cyl mounting bolt down to the frame to keep the firewall deflecting. My kit from sst included that.

You’re right. Probably needs to be the next step. BTW is there supposed to be a rubber seal or something for the side of the bellhousing? There’s like a 3x3 hole where linkage or hose feeds through. Getting ready to take the finger/bearing clearance measurements and just thought about it.

Re: Making progress on TKO install - 02/03/18 03:57 AM

Originally Posted By GoodysGotaCuda
Master cylinder mounted

You’re right. Probably needs to be the next step. BTW is there supposed to be a rubber seal or something for the side of the bellhousing? There’s like a 3x3 hole where linkage or hose feeds through. Getting ready to take the finger/bearing clearance measurements and just thought about it.

My kit came with a giant rectangular grommet I didn't use on my T56. It may be a TKO grommet.
Posted By: goldduster318

Re: Making progress on TKO install - 02/04/18 03:15 PM

Wow that master cylinder setup is a lot nicer than the American Powertrain ones I've seen. Doing a T56 Magnum swap on my Duster this year as well.

Re: Making progress on TKO install - 02/04/18 06:00 PM

It’s a Wilwood cylinder. This is my first experience with an install like this so nothing to compare it too but I am pleased with this part of the set up so far. Reservoir is in and the brace to prevent the firewall flex.

Re: Making progress on TKO install - 02/11/18 05:59 AM

Update pictures

Attached picture 30388954-6D8D-4561-9CC7-0A913A672444.jpeg
Attached picture 26DD90A6-2896-48EE-8CB5-050AA12BD9E2.jpeg
Attached picture 2139E081-0D4E-4430-ACC3-A90F07FCFF7A.jpeg

Re: Making progress on TKO install - 02/11/18 11:12 PM

I don’t know if anyone else can see the pictures but all I see are file names.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Making progress on TKO install - 02/12/18 12:19 AM

I see them, clean work
Posted By: boydsdodge

Re: Making progress on TKO install - 02/12/18 12:51 AM

I don't see any pics, just a question mark.
I am doing this install on my Challenger, as soon as it gets back in here.
All done but the bell housing alignment, PITA. I am out on the horizontal as well as vertical.
Does SST supply a new bell housing or a modified stock unit?
My kit is one of the last from Keisler.

Re: Making progress on TKO install - 02/12/18 01:31 AM

The kit SST sent to me had a Quick Time bell housing. I did not have any issues with aligning it.

Re: Making progress on TKO install - 02/20/18 12:49 PM

Tunnel is tacked in. Patch is prepared.

Attached picture 04AA5CD2-C27A-40EB-943F-BC6B780001A3.jpeg
Attached picture 0E7950EF-B19F-442C-BB6B-CE3BEC94CCA5.jpeg
Posted By: MadMatt

Re: Making progress on TKO install - 02/23/18 06:14 AM

Here's a link to a video I made of a TKO-600 install in my 70 Dart. The BEST mod I ever did! It was super tight on an A-body, but so glad I did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n67-K41YkA

Re: Making progress on TKO install - 02/23/18 02:56 PM

Big difference in the a body clearance and this third gen b body for sure.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Making progress on TKO install - 02/28/18 07:56 AM

Originally Posted By goldduster318
Wow that master cylinder setup is a lot nicer than the American Powertrain ones I've seen. Doing a T56 Magnum swap on my Duster this year as well.

That's the Keisler/Wilwood design that SST has carried over in it's line up, I've converted my TKO equipped vehicles over to that master set up, as well as a few customers vehicles, proven very reliable with ZERO issues, and many years/miles of use...

Re: Making progress on TKO install - 03/03/18 12:30 AM

Tunnel is completely in with Dynaliner. Trans is in with oil. Drive shaft is ordered. Gotta wire in neutral and reverse switches, bleed matster cylinder, install steering column and carpet and done.

Re: Making progress on TKO install - 03/03/18 04:13 PM

Tunnel is completely in with Dynaliner. Trans is in with oil. Drive shaft is ordered. Gotta wire in neutral and reverse switches, bleed matster cylinder, install steering column and carpet and done.

Any adhesive backing or rubber membrane with that "Dynaliner"? if so it's going to melt/stink with the heat from running in prolonged OD...DAMHIK

FYI: did you slide any high heat spark plug sleeve covering over the braided lines on the hyd TOB set up? to avoid a spongy pedal when the fluid gets heated up from underhood/exhaust/headers/etc heat sources?

Mike

Re: Making progress on TKO install - 03/03/18 06:55 PM

Yes on the adhesive backing. No on the spark plug sleeve.

Re: Making progress on TKO install - 03/03/18 07:56 PM

Yes on the adhesive backing. No on the spark plug sleeve.

If it was just spray adhesive, you should be ok, if it's the thick membrane peel off backing, it might melt or get gooey, or stink until it gets melted completely in the areas where the OD concentrates heat build up on the floor, the factory console in my Charger gets so hot at times, I can't keep anything in it that might melt, the console door (70 Charger) actually gets too hot to touch if I cruising for long hours, and I have dynamat under the carpet...

If you have high under hood temps, headers, or the TOB hyd. line is close to the exhaust, take the time to slide some high temp spark plug sleeve (1500-2000 degree stuff) over the entire braided line, the SS braided hose just sucks up the heat, and if your running Dot3 it can get hot enough to make the pedal spongy if the line is not insulated, I usually run Dot4 Blue Racing fluid in the masters (don't use Dot5 that will destroy the seals in short order), almost every TKO/T56 set up I've done in the past got plagued with heat issues on the hyd. TOB so that I just started automatically insulating every install to avoid the hassles later on the road...even when you think everything is good to go as delivered from the kit mfg, one long/hot trip you get kicked in the teeth from a stubborn TOB/master/pedal that got heat soaked, so insulate it for peace of mind...

Mike

Re: Making progress on TKO install - 03/03/18 09:19 PM

Will do. Thanks for the tip.

Re: Making progress on TKO install - 03/28/18 11:46 PM

Install is complete. Maybe fire it up tomorrow but can’t drive it because of rain. Saturday may be dry. No exhaust but I’ll get started on that tomorrow as well.
© 2024 Moparts Forums