Moparts

lets talk clutches...

Posted By: dangina

lets talk clutches... - 12/28/17 06:52 PM

How many out there are running 4 speeds in their cars fort roadrace/autoX? what are you using? I tried running my own master/slave setup and I ended up frying my clutch as I couldn't get enough engagement/disengagement with the slave. So I'm upgrading to a proper hydraulic throwout bearing setup from performance powertrain, but since I'm in the market for a new one, might as well see what everyone else out there is running - I haven't seen much chatter on the subject in the past - looking at the Centerforce LM070552 LMC Series Clutch Kit but man it's pricy. The clutch I had was a science frition street slayer but can't really comment on it. Anyone running twin disk cluch? how are they?
Posted By: RylisPro

Re: lets talk clutches... - 12/28/17 09:12 PM

Never heard of Performance Powertrain?
Are you talking about American Powertrain's stuff? If so then that's great because its the same stuff I use on my T56 Magnum. I run their hydraulic setup along with their Science Friction Street Slayer clutch and no problems whatsoever. Have been running it for about 4 years now. I actually have a spare Science Friction Street Slayer clutch disk when I swapped from 340 to Gen3.

Re: lets talk clutches... - 12/28/17 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By RylisPro

Are you talking about American Powertrain's stuff?

sorry I do mean american powertrain - are you running their pressure plate as well? mine busted on the one side which is part of the failure I had
Posted By: RylisPro

Re: lets talk clutches... - 12/29/17 12:02 AM

Yup running their pressure plate as well. No major issues. The only thing I remember as a small problem was when I was running at Sonoma Raceway after the Carousel turn 6 on the straight I would be in 4th and drop down to 3rd at high speed before the hard right to turn 7. The trans would shudder a bit if I didn't slow down enough. I think its in the end of one of my Sonoma videos on Youtube. Slowing down properly before shifting to 3rd seemed to fix the issue. I kep that in mind for Laguna Seca and I never had a 4th to 3rd shudder there.
Posted By: ahy

Re: lets talk clutches... - 12/30/17 03:09 AM

I am running a Silver Sport/Keisler hydraulic TO bearing setup on a 496 with 5 speed. It has performed well for ~15 years. I have an early version that takes some patience to bleed other than that no issues including X country and road track.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: lets talk clutches... - 12/30/17 04:41 AM

I run a beefed up and freshened stock clutch linkage setup, basically reinforced so nothing flexes and new bushings through out. Nothing fancy, new Hurst shifter and rods, with a new pit pack on the pivot points. Never had a problem. Sachs disc and PP.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: lets talk clutches... - 12/31/17 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By ahy
I am running a Silver Sport/Keisler hydraulic TO bearing setup on a 496 with 5 speed. It has performed well for ~15 years. I have an early version that takes some patience to bleed other than that no issues including X country and road track.

Pretty much the same here, Keisler/SST 5spd TKO600/650 w CF synchros along with their hyd TOB and Wilwood modified master, I run a Sach BorgBeck/3 finger pressure plate in the 2800 lb range with a Sachs single Kevlar disc, pretty much beat the sh1t out of it on the street/track or courses with zero issues, 440/6 up front

Attached picture mellonfade.JPG

Re: lets talk clutches... - 01/02/18 07:07 AM

Originally Posted By DAYCLONA

Pretty much the same here, Keisler/SST 5spd TKO600/650 w CF synchros along with their hyd TOB and Wilwood modified master, I run a Sach BorgBeck/3 finger pressure plate in the 2800 lb range with a Sachs single Kevlar disc, pretty much beat the sh1t out of it on the street/track or courses with zero issues, 440/6 up front

what made you pick the three finger setup over a diaphram plate? I'm afraid I'll bust a diaphram plate again, been thinking about the three finger plate - I guess with the hydraulic TOB it probably all feels the same?

Re: lets talk clutches... - 01/02/18 07:39 AM

also pilot bearing vs pilot bushing? I've never used a pilot bearing before - when would you use these?

Re: lets talk clutches... - 01/02/18 07:40 AM

can you mix and match clutch disks/pressure plates between companies? like a hays disk with a centerfore pressure plate? assuming everything else is the same?
Posted By: pro451bee

Re: lets talk clutches... - 01/02/18 07:41 AM

451 , 3.23 gears , sachs diaphram 11" stock replacement 8 years best clutch I ever had in the car.I have stock bellcrank system and a Shmacher engine limiter with rubber mounts , TREMEC 5 speed .
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: lets talk clutches... - 01/05/18 07:39 AM

Originally Posted By dangina
Originally Posted By DAYCLONA

what made you pick the three finger setup over a diaphram plate? I'm afraid I'll bust a diaphram plate again, been thinking about the three finger plate - I guess with the hydraulic TOB it probably all feels the same?

I don't particularly care for diaphram covers, plus I was looking for something in the 2800 to 3200 lb range, and Sachs had a BB cover and Kevlar disc set up that met my criteria, as far as input bearing/bushing, I run a bearing, Zero issues on several vehicles so equipped, as far as the hyd TOB, it makes the 2800 lb plate feel like stepping on warm butter, no pedal effort at all, in fact the 4 whl disc power brakes takes more pedal effort, and they're light as a touch...

Most mfg's will push a diaphram cover in the 1800-2200# range when using an input shaft mounted hyd TOB because they are not rated for use in the 2500+ lb cover range, to date (14 yrs) I've only blown one hyd TOB, but again I abuse the sh1t out of my rides, I still run an "old school" Mopar 833 4spd with factory linkage/TOB in an E body among my rides with a 3200# BB/3 finger (Hays set up), as far as the clutch pedal pressure, it gets "real old", real fast! hooks up like crazy, but is a chore to drive in stop and go traffic.

IMHO, take the hyd TOB route, you'll never go back to linkage
Posted By: ogopogo

Re: lets talk clutches... - 01/20/18 04:19 AM

im in the market for a new clutch as well,where are you guys getting sachs stuff for an oem a833,and where to get the hydraulic TOB setup?
this is for street driving not racing or roadcourse......

Re: lets talk clutches... - 01/21/18 06:06 AM

Originally Posted By ogopogo
im in the market for a new clutch as well,where are you guys getting sachs stuff for an oem a833,and where to get the hydraulic TOB setup?
this is for street driving not racing or roadcourse......

I found the 2800 lbs plate here:

http://www.brewersperformance.com/products.php?cat=311
© 2024 Moparts Forums