Moparts

Front end problem

Posted By: mickm

Front end problem - 08/23/17 03:20 AM

Hi all.

Not sure if this is the best forum, or if the genera would be betterl, but thought I would start here.

I have a 70 b body, the one in the sig pic. Car is 11" drums all the way around, and manual steering. Stock hemi torsion bars, offset upper CA bushings, and all new bushings, etc... probably about 10k miles ago.

Symptoms are: under heavy breaking, pulls to the right, once breaking is on, doesn't seem to pull. At any speed, if I break hard, when I let some pressure off of the pedal, there is a distinct clunk, I'm almost positive it is from the right side. It seems to eat steering boxes, I'm on my second rebuilt one.

When I first put the steering box in, the car feels great, (aside from the breaking issue), it tracks well, doesn't feel loose or squirmy. Now it still tracks well, but is squirmy, I'm working more to drive the car, and it feels like the breaking issue is more exaggerated.

I have torn into the suspension, and everything seems good and tight. I didn't take the strut off to check the play on the LCA, or disconnect the UCA, but it all felt good.

The only obvious thing I can see is the adjuster bolt for the torsion bar on the driver side is roughly even with the bottom of the LCA, whereas on the passenger side it sticks out a good half inch or more beyond the edge of the LCA. A significant difference.

So, any thoughts on where to start with this? I have checked ball joints, all the basic things, and everything seems tight and in good shape, and all of it is relatively new. I've replaced the lower ball joint on the passenger side a while ago, as it did feel slightly loose, and wanted to try something, anything.

Any help is appreciated.
Posted By: geo.

Re: Front end problem - 08/23/17 03:32 AM

How old are your front brake hoses?

Re: Front end problem - 08/23/17 03:50 AM

Originally Posted By geo.
How old are your front brake hoses?

Replaced when we did everything else.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Front end problem - 08/23/17 05:04 AM

"there is a distinct clunk, I'm almost positive it is from the right side"

Well this is a pretty big hint I suspect, Brake strut bushing/attachment needs a better looking over, is my first thinking.
Posted By: CKessel

Re: Front end problem - 08/23/17 05:55 AM

Best to start looking for some cracks, tears broken welds etc.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Front end problem - 08/23/17 05:55 AM

That is my thought too. When there is a bad front bushing in a strut rod, the lower control arm on that side will try to move rearward upon braking. That will affect the toe and cause the car to pull to that side. Releasing the brake allows the LCA to return to it's standard position and toe is back to where it was before.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Front end problem - 08/23/17 07:38 AM

My GTS had the same problem last time it was on the road, except that it was unpredictable which direction it was going to dive. I rebuilt the front end in 1986, so I am positive it needs it again. I also have never inspected the k-member for cracks and the car has somewhere around 155k miles.
Posted By: lilcuda

Re: Front end problem - 08/23/17 05:38 PM

Definitely look for cracks in the K member and also check the torsion bar sockets in the crossmember. I would also recommend calling Dr Diff and getting disk brakes for all 4 corners with the amount of HP you have in that car.

If you are totally stumped, take it to Custom Alignment. They are top-notch.

Re: Front end problem - 08/23/17 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By lilcuda
Definitely look for cracks in the K member and also check the torsion bar sockets in the crossmember. I would also recommend calling Dr Diff and getting disk brakes for all 4 corners with the amount of HP you have in that car.

Well, the idea of discs has crossed my mind! It is in the plans.

Where is Custom Alignment?

Re: Front end problem - 08/23/17 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By Frankenduster
That is my thought too. When there is a bad front bushing in a strut rod, the lower control arm on that side will try to move rearward upon braking. That will affect the toe and cause the car to pull to that side. Releasing the brake allows the LCA to return to it's standard position and toe is back to where it was before.

This does make sense. Fits both the braking and the clunk issue. And makes sense for the steering box as well. Every time I brake, the LCA would move back even slightly, putting a bit of strain on the steering linkage, and hence the box.

I will start there...
Posted By: jcc

Re: Front end problem - 08/23/17 08:17 PM

It would seem to me, under braking the wheel side of the LCA wants to move to the rear, by some factor of the compliance in the strut rod/bushing, and the other end of the LCA, the TB end, wants to pivot forward on the strut/LCA connection fulcrum. work
Posted By: lilcuda

Re: Front end problem - 08/23/17 10:01 PM

Originally Posted By mickm

https://www.customalignment.com

Re: Front end problem - 08/23/17 10:41 PM

Originally Posted By mickm

https://www.customalignment.com

Should have known it was that simple! Thanks!
© 2024 Moparts Forums