Moparts

Better driving experience with aluminum heads?

Posted By: mkdart

Better driving experience with aluminum heads? - 07/12/17 12:59 AM

Just a general question.
After a aluminum head swap,is it a
noticeable difference with 40/50 LB's
off the front end?

thanks, Mike
Posted By: amxautox

Re: Better driving experience with aluminum heads? - 07/12/17 01:38 AM

A person sensitive to his car can feel the difference.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Better driving experience with aluminum heads? - 07/12/17 01:57 AM

You need to refine your question IMO. As a test, add 40-50 lbs on the front of your car, make sure it can settle from the extra weight, measure that amount of movement, now in your comparison test if you make no other changes, the question then becomes, do you notice the difference in weight AND the additional ride height with the correlated alignment changes, albeit small, but still a factor?
Regardless, its nearly the same as 9 gals of fuel, which is about the lower driver limit for I would say the better then average on this forum. twocents
Posted By: Trojmn

Re: Better driving experience with aluminum heads? - 07/12/17 02:45 AM

You would have to have a very sensitive butt to notice. The clock however on the other hand, will notice.

Same with a full tank of gas vs nearly empty, or leaving the jack and spare in the grid... its noticeable, IMO only after looking at the clock.

Posted By: Pale_Roader

Re: Better driving experience with aluminum heads? - 07/12/17 09:52 AM

I definitely notice a full tank ov gas, over the 1/4 tank i typically drive around on. Those heads have weight right where you dont want it. Not to mention the other benefits...
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Better driving experience with aluminum heads? - 07/12/17 01:46 PM

Heck ya I noticed it. As soon as I backed out of my driveway and put it in 1st gear I noticed a power increase which is part of a lighter front end.

I have beat my 340 with edlebrock heads for over 30K miles since 2007 and it still runs great. And yes my car handles better with the lighter front end.
Posted By: MarkZ

Re: Better driving experience with aluminum heads? - 07/13/17 07:03 PM

The difference will be more noticeable if you already have tight front suspension. I recently swapped an aluminum head 360 to an aluminum head big block and felt the additional weight on the nose going around corners.
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: Better driving experience with aluminum heads? - 07/13/17 08:06 PM

Road course driving, autocrossing (HPDE/HSAX/AX), etc... should absolutely be noticeable... think of the weight reduction (vs extra weight carried) compounded at high speeds (~30-40-50-60-70-80-90, etc mph)... not just accelerating, but especially during breaking and cornering... its all physics... less weight = faster response in all actions. The breaks and tires/suspension will favor less weight. I'll re-confirm and tell you in a cpl years when I hopefully install my aluminum heads onto my new SB.
Posted By: MRGTX

Re: Better driving experience with aluminum heads? - 08/08/17 02:41 PM

Taking the weight off of the nose from the (nearly) highest point of the engine is second only to removing unsprung and or rotating mass. If you're going to feel it anywhere, you'll feel it there.

Aside from the performance improvements over stock low compression heads, the weight reduction alone is incredibly valuable in making your car a better driver all around.

Also, be sure to run aluminum intake and water pump to save a bunch more weight...if you haven't already gone that way.
© 2024 Moparts Forums