Moparts

315 Square setup E-body `Cuda

Posted By: RylisPro

315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/14/17 01:29 AM

I flat spotted my BFG Rivals last week at Big Willow. Was doing 135 and stomped on the brakes hard to avoid rear ending a 68 Barracuda.

My 295's were getting old anyways and needed to be switched out. Plenty of tread left but they have been heat cycled out from all the track days I put them through.

Height difference of 295 vs 315 mounted on a 10.5" rim.

I was fairly certain the 315's would hit the leaf spring or the upper inner wheelwell but to my suprise it does not rub anywhere.View of passenger rear.

View of upper inner wheelwell. Plenty of clearance.

View of passenger rear fender. I might fold the lip up if I have any issues but there is lots of clearance here too.

Here is the driver front with the steering turned full lock to the right. Nothing hits with tons of room.

Another view of driver front. I haven't gotten an alignment yet and can still get more negative camber if needed.

I do admit that a 10.5" wheel is not the best size for a 315/30-18 BFG Rival S. An 11" or 11.5" would be ideal to maximize the contact patch. The 10.5" does sink in deep enough that the tire acts as a rim protector though!

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/14/17 01:29 AM

View of passenger front with wheel turned straight ahead. Plenty of space at the fender.

I can still fit my hand in between.

View of passenger front tire. That is nearly 12 inches of contact patch!

Rear view.

295 vs 315

Anyone want a set of skinny 295's? haha! They are going on Craiglist for cheap!

There it is fellas a 315 square setup Ebody. As anyone who has seen my car at the Spring Fling track days can vouch that there is nothing fancy or complicated about my setup. All it takes is careful measurements and custom offset wheels and I'm certain this will apply to Challengers and B bodies as well!

Posted By: amxautox

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/14/17 01:35 AM

You are suppose to square the tire sizes, not the 'roundness' of the tire circumference. eek

Did ya scare the Barracuda driver? It wasn't Steve was it? devil
Posted By: boydsdodge

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/14/17 01:58 AM

Good save, I was wondering if you flat spotted.
Fun day tho, glad you made it out again.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/14/17 02:27 AM

That's a lot of tire, looks nearly certain that the leaf spring will hit, unless you have delrin or very rigid bushings.

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/14/17 02:44 AM

The camera angle is just bad on that pic, here is a better view

Passenger rear

Driver rear

It's tight but there is enough clearance where it will not cause any interference with the leafs. Even if it does I still have 3mm spacers that can push the wheel out a little.
Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/14/17 04:01 AM

I don't think the 295's will fit under my Dart without major surgery and new wheels. Heck, I'm even having problems with 255's.
Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/14/17 04:05 PM

Thats a lot of tire, looks mean. I'd take the 295's if you were closer, I could use them for fitment clearance on my Demon as I'm trying for square 315's on it.

What kind of rims do you have Ariel? I really like the looks of them.

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/14/17 05:04 PM

Hey Brent!
The rims I run are Forgeline GS1R's

http://www.forgeline.com/products/competition-series/gs1r.html
The Red Brick would look badass with a set of these! Talk to Mark Schetter and he'll sell them for less than on the website.

I also have a pair of Enkei wheels w/ 295 BFG KDW's that I let people borrow for fitment. A 315 is only about an inch wider( 1/2" per side) than a 295. Reno isn't that far!

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/14/17 05:09 PM

1500 a wheel??? eek Sorry, not going to happen. Guess I'll be limited to minilight wheels some day.
Posted By: Jerry

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/14/17 05:58 PM

look at ford racing wheels as well. if you can get a hub centric spacer made to fit your wheel and your car they will be plenty strong as well.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/15/17 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By RylisPro
The camera angle is just bad on that pic, here is a better view

Driver rear

It's tight but there is enough clearance where it will not cause any interference with the leafs. Even if it does I still have 3mm spacers that can push the wheel out a little.

Looks better. Is the gap equal side to side? Appears to have more clearance on one side vs the other.

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/15/17 01:08 AM

The gap is tighter on the passenger side by about 1/8". It's because how my perches were welded.
No big deal though

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/15/17 02:25 AM

No wonder this e wheels look so good, Forgelines are some of the best wheel out there! I know I'll be heading down that way in early June for the Sonoma Historics, so if you don't sell the tires by then I'll pick them up.
I'm thinking of buying this tool for measuring wheel offsets once you have the tire size chosen.
https://www.summitracing.com/nv/parts/wwk-10724568/overview/

I'll rent it out to recoup the cost.

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/15/17 03:47 AM

I feel tools like those are garbage because you cannot put the entire weight of the car down on them and set the ride height. Nothing beats a deep offset wheel with a variety of spacers to fine tune measurements. With a physical wheel and tire you can roll the car around, turn the wheel lock to lock and be dead on when the time comes to drop down for the actual rims.
Posted By: mopardamo

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/15/17 05:46 AM

Some overall Picts of the look would be great!

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/15/17 06:25 AM

True and good points. You can get pretty close with that tool by pulling the t bar and shock and cycling the suspension and steering. But the pics above are proof that your way works well!
Posted By: HUSTLESTUFF

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/15/17 07:47 AM

Originally Posted By NV69B7RR
No wonder this e wheels look so good, Forgelines are some of the best wheel out there! I know I'll be heading down that way in early June for the Sonoma Historics, so if you don't sell the tires by then I'll pick them up.
I'm thinking of buying this tool for measuring wheel offsets once you have the tire size chosen.
https://www.summitracing.com/nv/parts/wwk-10724568/overview/

I'll rent it out to recoup the cost.

I have and used one of those on my Charger. I have a lift and just jacked up the suspension and put most of weight on it. I think it's a good tool. Could probably loan with deposit.
Posted By: moparx

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/15/17 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By amxautox
1500 a wheel??? eek Sorry, not going to happen. Guess I'll be limited to minilight wheels some day.

some time ago i made this statement : "i'm NEVER gonna pay $250.00 for a SET of tires AND wheels ! that's just a RIDICULOUS amount !" uh, well, i guess i'm showing my age....... grin i have since had to rethink that statement..........
beer

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/15/17 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By moparx
Originally Posted By amxautox

some time ago i made this statement : "i'm NEVER gonna pay $250.00 for a SET of tires AND wheels ! that's just a RIDICULOUS amount !" uh, well, i guess i'm showing my age....... grin i have since had to rethink that statement..........
beer
Yup, sometimes we change our minds, but I'll NEVER have that kind of money. Well, not until I win the lotto. I can't even save 1600 for something I want for the boat, without some crap happening and taking most of that money that I do/did have saved. I have no real idea what the new well house and new water holding tank will cost me over this summer, at least 1500, and maybe 3,000. at least the ramcharger has new tires even if I can't get to the lake very often this summer.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/16/17 06:25 PM

Sidewall flex is only way a tire hits a leaf spring. It would take a ton of it to flex that far from the ground. The spring itself is incapable of moving towards the tire, with those ubolts holding it to the axle and stuff.
Posted By: jcc

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/16/17 08:21 PM

I would agree in this application, and I would do the same as the OP, but in a drag application, tire shake I would bet, would allow contact, to what harm I have little idea.
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/17/17 11:55 PM

Rylispro-- T/Anks for sharing your pics, etc... 315 square is awesome and what's needed in these latest years top be equal to many other similar classed pony cars... old or late years.

Your leafs are relocated inboard ~1"?

Also, now your front insides of the tires will hit the frame rail a bit more quickly.. correct?

I think you're gonna have to tuck/slightly pull your lips. Also, maybe time to step up to bigger TBs... 1.22 readily avlbl from FF, or request 1.24 from FF. (I run 1.24 TBs)

My 275-45-16s on 10" wide rims will resort to Hoosier A/R 7s.... and that places me in certain allowable classes (E/SP for SCCA Solo II, and some HSAX classes locally).

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/18/17 10:02 AM

Hey Mitch!
I agree and just wanted to show that our cars can be just as competitive as the Chevys and Fords. There should be more Mopars on the road course and hopefully this will inspire more owners to mount wide ass tires & actually drive their cars at their local track days, not just show off at a boring car show.

Yes my leafs are relocated inboard but at 1.5". Dr. Diff has a kit.
My front inside tires never hit at all as there is tons of room available.

This is the driver front with the steering at full lock to the right.

The rear inside tire is another story as that always rubbed but only during U turns. There is very minimal damage.

Here is driver side

Here is passenger side. As you can see it basically just took off the paint from the frame and thats it.

Here is the inside of my old front tires. Light horizontal scratches on the shoulder of the tire but no major damage anywhere. I have more camber wear than anything else and these 295's are about 4 years old with lots of miles and a bunch of track days on them. I'm thinking the 315's will just take off more paint and maybe get some extra wear on the shoulder so not a big deal.

The front fender lips are already folded over and I may just need a little more neg camber for it to clear. The rears are untouched and I will fold them up if needed.
Posted By: AlexP

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/18/17 10:05 PM

I'm liking this. I was able to fit a 275 square on mine easily and I've got a good 1.5" before I even start to hit the UNROLLED fender lip.

I could see this 315 fitting based on my experiences only, your proof confirms this
Posted By: Bob J

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/19/17 01:09 AM

AlexP what wheels are you running. Also what size width and offset. I'm looking at 285 or 295 square on 18" diameter wheel on my 68 GTX.

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/20/17 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By mopardamo
Some overall Picts of the look would be great!

Getting an alignment. Here are some pics.

Posted By: CKessel

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/21/17 03:56 PM

Man that is one killer stance!
Posted By: mopardamo

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/22/17 05:48 AM

Sweet. Thanks and love it!

Damon
Posted By: BergmanAutoCraft

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/30/17 04:21 AM

Good job. I fit 275s square on the Dart. Big rubber can be done
Posted By: AlexP

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/30/17 05:09 AM

Originally Posted By Bob J
AlexP what wheels are you running. Also what size width and offset. I'm looking at 285 or 295 square on 18" diameter wheel on my 68 GTX.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/charcoal-amr-18x9-0512.html

These at 6.18 BS with a 1" spacer all around.

I bought them on sale for $69 each and used a high quality bolt on adapter to space them out.

I want to try to end up where Ariel is....

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/30/17 11:28 AM

If anyone needs assistance on getting wide tire widths under their cars, please let me know!
I am here to help!

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/30/17 10:52 PM

If anyone needs assistance on getting wide tire widths under their cars, please let me know!
I am here to help!

I want 315's on all 4 corners of my Dart. Make it happen!

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/30/17 11:21 PM

I'm sure it could be done. When there is a will there is a way. Wasn't there a purple dart that autocrossed that was running 305/30-19s? Not sure if in front though?

If you take a tape measure and find the distance from the frame to the edge of a front inner fender that shows how much room you have to work with. An E-body should be about 19 inches. I don't know for a A or B body but maybe someone can chime in? The rears should be easy as drag racers stuff wide slicks in back of A-bodies all the time.

A 315 tire is physically about 13 wide so that gives about 3 inches per side of the tire to rotate left and right in an E-body. They key is a wheel that centers the tire exactly in the middle of the inner frame and inner fender edge.

If anyone is gonna make a 315 square setup A-body its gonna be you Samy!

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 04/30/17 11:27 PM

I'm sure it could be done. When there is a will there is a way. Wasn't there a purple dart that autocrossed that was running 305/30-19s? Not sure if in front though?

If you take a tape measure and find the distance from the frame to the edge of a front inner fender that shows how much room you have to work with. An E-body should be about 19 inches. I don't know for a A or B body but maybe someone can chime in? The rears should be easy as drag racers stuff wide slicks in back of A-bodies all the time.

A 315 tire is physically about 13 wide so that gives about 3 inches per side of the tire to rotate left and right in an E-body. They key is a wheel that centers the tire exactly in the middle of the inner frame and inner fender edge.

If anyone is gonna make a 315 square setup A-body its gonna be you Samy!

That's Tom's old Valiant you're referring to. I've seen it run. He had fender flares that pushed his fender out about 2-3". I believe his leaf springs were in the stock location.

It can be done, springs would probably have to come in and fenders would have to go out. I just don't have time right now. Lol.

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 08/10/17 10:08 PM

If anyone is serious about getting wide tires under their car let me know. I called up Forgeline on how to get some substantial discounts off the monoblock wheels on their website and can setup a group buy to cut down on costs.

I'll post up on another thread for a sign up list for those that are interested.

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 08/10/17 10:32 PM

I'm unable to view any of your posted pics. Can you recap your plan with hard numbers, BS, Dia, Tire size aspect/dia/brand/model, You are looking for a group buy on a single size wheel offering?
I just wore out a square set 295/35/18 on my DD Tacoma. I liked them a lot, and am toying around upgrading some of the rest of my fleet(?grin), the $1500/wheel though if true, is not a path I'd like to take, but would entertain its consideration, maybe.

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 08/10/17 10:59 PM

Hey jcc,
Photobucket wants to charge $400 a year for their 3rd party hosting and I'm too lazy to move my pics haha sorry.

Since each Forgeline wheel order would be specific to the customers needs it will be each an individual order. I just need to place a order of 5 sets to get a big discount off the website pricing.

Any monoblock/competition wheel style, any size/width, any offset, any standard finish.
http://www.forgeline.com/main-products/competition-series/

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 08/11/17 02:38 AM

I hear you on the $400 nonsense, you are not alone it seems, do mind sharing what you are thinking about getting?

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 08/11/17 05:50 AM

GS1R's the same style satin black wheels on the `Cuda but 17x9 +63mm sized for my S2000. I like them that much!

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 08/11/17 07:52 PM

Your 17" choice vs say 18" surprises me. I have nothing against 17's and they IMO work well/good with our age of cars, but, my thinking is, 17's will eventually become the new 15's , limited tire selection. I am not sure how long that trend will/could continue, but I have been wrong before. Just making a substantial investment in maybe non resell-able rims in a size that may become scarce, makes me pause. Thoughts?

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 08/12/17 04:34 AM

You are correct jcc,
Most performance sizes are in 18 inch. I will be running a 255/40-17 which is still a very popular extreme performance tire size for many imports.

The 17 inch wheel size I'm getting for my S2K will still be able to sell if I ever decide to with this set of Forgelines. Supply and demand, the market will always dictate what sells.

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 08/12/17 05:53 AM

I just realized it was $4k for wheels after the discount. frown

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 08/12/17 06:21 AM

Hey Samy,
It's more like $5k for the monoblock wheels, very expensive.
It is one of the reasons why I am trying to work with Forgeline to setup a group buy.

I can go on & on about how awesome the wheels are, how the customer service is great, blah blah blah, but at the end of the day the high price will always deter most people.

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 08/29/17 01:21 AM

I went out to test the 315's

They work great!
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 08/29/17 01:32 AM

Damn, that looks beefy.
Cool!

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 08/29/17 08:10 PM

RylisPro -- Your car looks awesome! Let us know if they rub under racing conditions.

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 08/30/17 04:37 AM

Thanks guys!
There seems to be no rubbing yet Mitch. From preliminary testing around my local mountain roads there is no rubbing on the tires anywhere as evidenced by the tire injection "hairs" still being intact.

You can see them in the pic and all four tires are still like that. I haven't pushed the tires at all maybe about 45-50 mph in a turn? I'll definitely post pics when I'm at the track again!

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 09/26/17 04:02 PM

Damn that thing looks mean!

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 11/19/17 03:58 AM

315's work! Confirmed at the Carousel in Sonoma Raceway and the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca

No damage to my fenders, no rubbing or hitting, not even close!

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 11/19/17 04:27 AM

335's now? grin

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 11/19/17 06:18 AM

It's funny you say that Samy!
I think that 335's would definitely fit in the rear. There is tons of clearance out back once one folds the fender lip up. Having 335's might actually cure my slight oversteer issue. Loose is fast though as they say.

335's in the front is another matter though as one would need a 12" wheel up front and that would be a really expensive experiment, if it fits...

I'm very happy with a 315 square setup though!
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 11/19/17 07:47 AM

Loose is fast and on the edge of "Out of control"
Harry Hogg, Days of THunder.

Loose is also unpredictable. I'd prefer LOOSE in a drift car and a little tight in a track car.
Posted By: MoparCar

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 11/19/17 05:04 PM

Maybe I'm missing this, but what backspace are you running up front and with or without any spacers?

Thanks, Wes

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 12/14/17 03:14 AM

More plans for the `Cuda next year!

18x11 Forgeline GTD1 5-lug in Graphite powdercoat with knurled bead

Stay tuned!

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 12/14/17 07:18 PM

What are the specs on your current wheels?

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 12/15/17 06:31 PM

Hey Samy!
I don't give out the specs to my wheels due to all the variation with suspension parts, fender clearance, leaf spring location etc. Even with E-bodies there is great variances between the Cuda vs Chally, any car built in the 70's for that matter.

The specs on my wheels really only fit my setup with 295 tires and also need a few millimeters more to get the "perfect" offsets for 315's. I actually found out that on hard cornering the 315's just barely rubs on the rear leaf springs. I'm going to need to use 3mm spacers as well as rolling the rear fenders for these current wheels. My next setup of wheels will have corrected offsets for 315's R-comps.

If I gave out my specs it doesnt really help anybody and I wouldn't want to get blamed for not fitting their car. One has to get a ruler and measure for their specific application. As always I will help you or anyone else with the correct sized wheels to get the maximum amount of tire underneath.

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 12/16/17 03:52 AM

Your rim game is strong! Forgelines... drool drool drool
Can't wait to see the new look.
Posted By: UCUDANT

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 12/16/17 09:30 PM

Why cant I see the photo's? I am very interested in seeing if I can get 315's under my car.

Here's my set up http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/rearsusp/12.html

I run 15X10" wheels with 6" of backspace
Posted By: UCUDANT

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 12/22/17 02:57 AM

bump

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 12/22/17 08:59 AM

Sorry, most of my pictures are held hostage by Photobucket so blame them if you can't see.

I am going to have to retract my previous statement of possibly fitting 335's in the rear. My setup is actually rubbing in the upper wheel wells upon further inspection. It must be rubbing due to the body roll while cornering. The rubbing is just slight on the tire but, is no way ideal.

315's are definitely attainable, no doubt. With leaf springs, one will have to relocate them inboard 1.5" using Dr. Diff's kit and roll the rear fenders. Once those two things are done its just a matter of finding the correct offset wheels.
I am having more issues fitting them in the rear than in the front haha!
Posted By: MoparCar

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 12/22/17 02:57 PM

Unfortunately Dr. Diff I believe quit making the 1.5" offset kits according to correspondence about a half a year ago.

Wes

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 12/22/17 10:24 PM

I just called Cass and the reasons he stopped making them were because too many people complained that they interfere with a full length exhaust and that they will leave two small dimples on the `Cuda rear valance.

That's too bad, it was a nice product. If enough people ask him nicely though...

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 12/30/17 08:40 AM

Here is the damage from the 315 rubbing in the rear, minimal but not at all ideal.

Some rear fender rolling progress

Eastwood says their roller does not work with thick double wall rear fender sheet metal of most muscle cars but that is all baloney, it works fine, just need a big F'ing hammer also.

Before shot from a while back

This mod is not too bad since I don't have nice paint. Believe me I wasn't gentle on these fenders at all as they are not that easy to fold up. A few whacks of a big hammer does the trick to bend the metal up, then I used the roller fender to get the shape I want. I took my time as didn't want the rear fender to concave in permanently as it would flex when rolling at a certain spot.

Not too bad as I have never rolled fenders before. I still have to do the driver side and I think it adds about an extra inch of clearance. I'll post up actual measurements of before and after at a later time.
My spine is still killing me due to being crouched down under the fender all day haha!
Posted By: moparx

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 12/30/17 04:29 PM

My spine is still killing me due to being crouched down under the fender all day haha!

just wait until a year or 40 passes, then come back and report how your aches feel ! biggrin only a tad of experience talking here.......
beer

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 01/02/18 06:40 AM

Rylis -- nice work!! Mine are flushed/pulled... still appears stock...

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 01/22/18 10:59 PM

I finished the driver side and took before and after pics:
Before

After

Added about 5/8" additional clearance

My advice when rolling the fenders is to take your time and check your work. I got a bit too greedy and the fender concaved in a bit. I had to pop it out from the inside and everything looks great now.
Posted By: mcmopar1

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 10/22/18 01:49 PM

Why not use a mini tub and relocate the springs into the frame rails? US Cartool has a “kit” for it.

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 10/23/18 11:12 PM

Because that would mean more time that the car is down and getting worked on again
which means less time on the road course

Thanks!

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 10/24/18 04:50 AM

Right, I get it! Would it adversely affect handling?

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 10/24/18 05:12 AM

Yes it would definitely would affect handling if one were to add mini tubs. If we did that we would also fit the widest tires possible maybe a 345 or even wider? The problem is that the fronts will only be 315's wide and it would cause severe understeer at the track.

Actually it might be a benefit because currently we oversteer too much haha!

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 10/24/18 10:37 AM

345’s would look awesome.....but moving the springs in 3” or so each side would have no affect on the handling?
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 10/24/18 07:41 PM

Moving the leaf springs inboard reduces the wheel rate about 10# per inch, so similar to running a lighter spring rate in the stock position.

Now, whether or not the butt dyno can feel a 30# rate change per side is highly subjective.

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 10/24/18 11:26 PM

Originally Posted By TC@HP2
Moving the leaf springs inboard reduces the wheel rate about 10# per inch, so similar to running a lighter spring rate in the stock position.

Now, whether or not the butt dyno can feel a 30# rate change per side is highly subjective.

Only in roll, to be clear?

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 10/24/18 11:32 PM

I don't see much reference to the fronts, any real issues there with fitment?

Looks great .

Function over form up

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 10/25/18 04:46 PM

Originally Posted By jcc

This would be in both ride and roll rate because the mounting location is altered, impacting the geometric formula.

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 10/25/18 05:59 PM

You are a member over many years I seldom ever disagree with, but this is one.

Leaf spring location relative to the tire contact patch does not change spring rate in ride, as there is not motion ratio other the 1:1.

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 10/25/18 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By jcc

This would be in both ride and roll rate because the mounting location is altered, impacting the geometric formula.

You are a member over many years I seldom ever disagree with, but this is one. eek

Leaf spring location with a solid axle relative to the tire contact patch does not change spring rate in ride, as there is no motion ratio other the 1:1.
Posted By: Consulier

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 10/25/18 08:36 PM

I have a pile of leftover 355's from this season if you want any for fitment testing.

355 square is where you want to be... up

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 10/25/18 09:45 PM

Summit $781/ea eek

Brand:Pirelli
Manufacturer's Part Number:2307500
Part Type:Tires
Product Line:Pirelli P Zero Corsa System Tires
Summit Racing Part Number:PIR-2307500

Wheel Diameter: 19 in.
Tire Size: 355/30-19
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Tire Construction: Radial
Tire Diameter: 27.40 in.
Section Width: 14.00 in.
Minimum Recommended Wheel Width: 12.00 in.
Maximum Recommended Wheel Width: 13.00 in.
Directional: No
Speed Rating: Y
Load Index: 99
Asymmetrical Tread Pattern: No
UTQG Tread Wear Rating: 60
Traction Rating: AA
Temperature Rating: A
Tread Depth: 8/32 in.
DOT-Approved: Yes
Run-Flat Technology: No
Tube Required: No
Max Load Single (lbs): 1,709

Re: 315 Square setup E-body `Cuda - 10/25/18 09:54 PM

Originally Posted By jcc
You are a member over many years I seldom ever disagree with, but this is one.

Leaf spring location relative to the tire contact patch does not change spring rate in ride, as there is not motion ratio other the 1:1.

There is an alteration to the motion ratio based on two possible variables; spring width and track width.

D1= distance of spring width at housing mounting point
D2= distance of track width at contact patch center

Divide D1 by D2 for motion ratio.

For those interested, taking this one step further; square the motion ratio, multiply by spring rate = wheel rate.

Tightening or loosening the dynamics of this can be further altered by splayed mounting of the leafs, ala E body, that will loosen or tighten up a combo but that is getting in to more complex geometrics with the splay, leaf twist, and resulting wheelbase length alterations under compression/extension than I've ever played with.
© 2024 Moparts Forums