Moparts

Another alignment question

Posted By: dd340

Another alignment question - 01/17/17 05:33 AM

Recently I was asking about home alignments and and I downloaded a couple of apps to my iPhone. They seem pretty good so far but during my experimentation I found something odd in my cam adjusters. The rear cams on both the left and right side allow plenty of adjustment and I can turn them a full 360* but both front adjusters only allow me to turn the cams about 90*.
I can feel it hit the stop when I turn it fully out but when trying to turn them back in towards the engine it feels like they bind up against the bushing and won't allow me turn turn them back much at all. It seems strange that it is the same on both the left and right side.
Anyone seen this before?
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Another alignment question - 01/17/17 06:18 PM

What vehicle/suspension type?

My 06 cummins had rusty hardware up front. With a breaker bar I could get a little bit of turn but not much. The cam bolts had rusted to the steel sleeve of the bushing. I got out the sawzall and cut off my lower control arms, and replaced them with new arms and new hardware. I put anti-seize on the shank of the bolts so they wouldn't rust to the bushing inserts again.

Perhaps you're fighting a similar issue?
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Another alignment question - 01/18/17 06:32 PM

Do you have the wheel on ground or jacked up, do you have the torsion bar loaded? You are fighting more forces depending on the answer to these questions.

Also dirt and sand gets in there and makes them hard to move. Taking the bolts out, cleaning and luring helps,free them up.
Posted By: dd340

Re: Another alignment question - 01/18/17 08:51 PM

the car was jacked up under the control arm with the wheel on. I am going to disassemble the suspension on that side because i seem to have a twisted lower control arm or maybe the spindle. The alignment was always way off on that side and now i think I know why.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Another alignment question - 03/06/17 06:15 AM

Once you get your eyes in there you will figure it out. Maybe the control arm is touching something or the cambolts are bottomed out in the slots.

Try installing the cambolts without the control arm and see how far they turn.
© 2024 Moparts Forums