Moparts

Hotchkis TVS and drag racing

Posted By: racerx20

Hotchkis TVS and drag racing - 11/13/16 08:02 PM

I have been mulling over taking my 69 Dart into the Pro-touring direction and have been considering the Hotchkis TVS. Anyone using this suspension how did it affect you at the strip? My car currently rides on Springs N Things HD rear leafs and hooks pretty good on MT ET Streets. With the stiffer/lower suspension I know it will compromise just interested in hearing how much.

Thanks
Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: Hotchkis TVS and drag racing - 11/13/16 08:06 PM

I'll let you know when I get my Dart back.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Hotchkis TVS and drag racing - 11/13/16 09:14 PM

Caltracs are necessary.
Posted By: buconine

Re: Hotchkis TVS and drag racing - 11/14/16 01:06 AM

how would caltracs work for autox/road racing? I've been pondering that lately. Curious if there would be a way to set them up to get the car to bite out of corners

Re: Hotchkis TVS and drag racing - 11/14/16 03:58 AM

I made some devices that are kinda hybrid Caltrac/Assassin bars. My biggest problem is without them my driveshaft hits tunnel and want to leave the car.
Posted By: sublimehemi

Re: Hotchkis TVS and drag racing - 11/18/16 08:38 AM

i have 315 drag radials on mine and hooks well on street...680 horse hemi ..a stock style pinion snubber on my s60 is about 3/4 off floor in my 70 charger with full tvs....i have my shocks as stiff as they can go and rear sway in middle hole.

Re: Hotchkis TVS and drag racing - 11/19/16 02:44 PM

That's good to hear, thanks for your input. I like the idea of using caltracs along with the tvs as well.

Re: Hotchkis TVS and drag racing - 11/19/16 11:56 PM

I would de-arch what you have and go from there. Im not a fan of Hotchkis A-body leaves. Im probably going to add another full leaf to mine, a Dart needs more spring than all the other A-bodies.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Hotchkis TVS and drag racing - 11/20/16 01:26 AM

Originally Posted By 72Swinger
I would de-arch what you have and go from there. Im not a fan of Hotchkis A-body leaves. Im probably going to add another full leaf to mine, a Dart needs more spring than all the other A-bodies.

The Hotchkis Challenger appears to have the rear end low every time I see a picture of it. Perhaps they're trying to favor weight bias vs aesthetics.

Re: Hotchkis TVS and drag racing - 11/20/16 03:11 AM

The E and B springs are alot more beefy than the A body versions. From what I could tell when they were R&D'ing these springs they were using a 68 Dart post and a Duster as test mules. Both 108" WB cars with quite a bit less rear weight. Peter tried these in his Dart and the rear ride height was stupid low and he was NOT able to use them, I can agree. Im all for having 0 arch at ride height, but I cant have that with a sacrifice in wrap or rate. Dart Swingers, non-post cars, have a 111" wheelbase and just plain need more spring.

Re: Hotchkis TVS and drag racing - 11/29/16 03:44 PM

Good info, those leafs are pricey to have to deal with these issues.
Posted By: crash520

Re: Hotchkis TVS and drag racing - 12/06/16 08:36 PM

I made some devices that are kinda hybrid Caltrac/Assassin bars. My biggest problem is without them my driveshaft hits tunnel and want to leave the car.
b

Do you have some pictures at all please?

Re: Hotchkis TVS and drag racing - 12/07/16 06:13 AM

The front just contacts the frame under load.
Posted By: crash520

Re: Hotchkis TVS and drag racing - 12/07/16 12:51 PM

Thanks mate, appreciate it
Posted By: moparx

Re: Hotchkis TVS and drag racing - 12/07/16 04:28 PM

The front just contacts the frame under load.

that's an interesting deviation. do they clunk in normal street driving or over bumps ?
beer

Re: Hotchkis TVS and drag racing - 12/07/16 08:15 PM

Big bumps yes, and you can here them "engage".
Posted By: goldduster318

Re: Hotchkis TVS and drag racing - 12/10/16 09:45 PM

I have the ESPO HD stock height leafs at stock height and basically the rest of a TVS (minus the steering links). I'd just keep the springs you have. Unless you are autocrossing you'd probably find you wouldn't put the rear bar on full stiff anyway.

Re: Hotchkis TVS and drag racing - 12/11/16 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By goldduster318
I have the ESPO HD stock height leafs at stock height and basically the rest of a TVS (minus the steering links). I'd just keep the springs you have. Unless you are autocrossing you'd probably find you wouldn't put the rear bar on full stiff anyway.

This is a good idea as well, car sits plenty low as is in the rear.
© 2024 Moparts Forums