Moparts

fox adjustable shocks settings..

Posted By: jaque

fox adjustable shocks settings.. - 12/22/15 07:35 AM

just installed my fox adjustable shocks, car drives great with all the other goodies i mentioned in this section, however its a bit bouncy at low speeds and cruising.. anyone run these that can chime in on how to set them.. i have a 70 challenger thanks.
Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: fox adjustable shocks settings.. - 12/22/15 07:56 AM

Start cranking them up till the bounce settles. The adjustability is for rebound.

Re: fox adjustable shocks settings.. - 12/22/15 08:00 AM

how do you crank them up?? righty tight, lefty loose??thank you.

Re: fox adjustable shocks settings.. - 12/22/15 08:28 AM

I haven't seen my shocks in months because my Dart has been at the shop; however, I believe righty tighty makes the rebound stiffer. I believe there should be an arrow on the top of the red knob that indicates which way is stiffer. Just make sure to count clicks so both sides are set the same (if that's what you want).

Re: fox adjustable shocks settings.. - 12/22/15 08:34 AM

thank you for input!!!
Posted By: Tomswheels

Re: fox adjustable shocks settings.. - 12/22/15 07:51 PM

Samy is correct, righty stiffy. With a big car like yours, I'd start with the fronts about 1/2 stiff, and the rears 5 clicks from full soft, then adjust from there...

Re: fox adjustable shocks settings.. - 12/22/15 11:20 PM

awesome thanks, each seperate click is and adjustment im assuming?? they just keep on clicking.. so im going to click to lowest setting and the go up from there. ill try that out..

btw, i dig youre car and for the money its a deal, did you sell it?

Re: fox adjustable shocks settings.. - 12/23/15 02:34 AM

I believe there are about 35 different adjustments/clicks so probably start around 15-20 clicks stiff for the front.

Re: fox adjustable shocks settings.. - 12/23/15 02:41 AM

Thanks, not sold yet. I believe mine have about 25 clicks soft to firm...

Re: fox adjustable shocks settings.. - 12/23/15 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By Tomswheels
Thanks, not sold yet. I believe mine have about 25 clicks soft to firm...

Yeah, I'm not sure. Hotchkis' website says 45 rebound adjustments but that may be 25 for the front and 20 for the rear.

http://www.hotchkis.net/product/hotchkis...=286&sm=295

Re: fox adjustable shocks settings.. - 12/23/15 05:21 AM

the fronts were clicked very stiif, didnt cout how many to zero out, from there i went up 11 clicks, jon said there were 22. then in the back zeroed out and went up 5 clicks, they were at least at the half way mark of the settings.. so that would explain bouncy feel. so firmer up top and softer out back and will expirement from there. just happy it drives firm and handles great!
thanks for input, ill keep thread informed on progress thanks again..
Posted By: sublimehemi

Re: fox adjustable shocks settings.. - 12/23/15 06:48 AM

just wanted to chime in...i would like to know which way you guys would mount your rear shocks...i guess you can either mount your rear shocks either way...knob facing down...or knob facing up....john at hotchkis confirmed either way but i would like to hear it from some of the guys here on moparts...my thoughts are yes its way easier to adjust your shock when you mount the shock with knob facing ground but one would think all the fluid in body with gravity does not make sense...mine are mounted knob up with fluid body at rest...witch way would you guys mount them?

Attached picture 013.JPG

Re: fox adjustable shocks settings.. - 12/23/15 08:52 AM

I went upside down... No problems so far

Re: fox adjustable shocks settings.. - 12/23/15 09:12 AM

me too inverted, jon said either way fine, but preference is knob facing down for easy adjustment..
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: fox adjustable shocks settings.. - 12/23/15 10:22 PM

I recall my front Hotchikis shocks were at 17 clicks from soft (from a possible 22).
Been dailydriving with this setting for little over a year now.
Just yesterday I decided to tighten them up a click but noticed only a very minor improvement, so I'll probably add another click soon.
Maybe some internal valve wear is setting in.
Anyone have any input about the service intervals of these shocks?

On the rear I've got QA1 adjustables and they've got the adjuster knob on the bottom by default, so I can adjust their setting by simply reaching around the tires and turn the knob.

Re: fox adjustable shocks settings.. - 12/24/15 12:11 AM

well they are warranted for life, so any problems youre covered..
Posted By: Jon @ Hotchkis

Re: fox adjustable shocks settings.. - 12/30/15 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By BigBlockMopar
I recall my front Hotchikis shocks were at 17 clicks from soft (from a possible 22).
Been dailydriving with this setting for little over a year now.
Just yesterday I decided to tighten them up a click but noticed only a very minor improvement, so I'll probably add another click soon.
Maybe some internal valve wear is setting in.
Anyone have any input about the service intervals of these shocks?

On the rear I've got QA1 adjustables and they've got the adjuster knob on the bottom by default, so I can adjust their setting by simply reaching around the tires and turn the knob.

The Fox guys estimate the lifespan to be around 100-150k miles depending on conditions.
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: fox adjustable shocks settings.. - 12/30/15 01:33 PM

Thanks for that info. I've driven about 6600 miles this year.
But on my daily commutes I encounter about 25 to 50 medium to high speedbumps and quite some brickstone roads. I wouldn't be surprised if some dimishing shock performance will occur after a few years.
Posted By: BergmanAutoCraft

Re: fox adjustable shocks settings.. - 01/04/16 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By Tomswheels
Samy is correct, righty stiffy. With a big car like yours, I'd start with the fronts about 1/2 stiff, and the rears 5 clicks from full soft, then adjust from there...

I'm fairly close to this to start with the fronts a little stiffer. I'm impressed with the difference over the bilsteins. I thought the Bilsteins were excellent, but I can tell a positive difference with these.
Posted By: 67autocross

Re: fox adjustable shocks settings.. - 01/04/16 09:53 PM

While I don't have Fox shocks on my car I ended up with stiffer on the rebound on the front than the rear with my adjustable shocks.
I'm surprised that FOX gives a lifetime warranty on the shock, most of their shocks require frequent oil changes and shaft seal leaks are fairly common.
Posted By: 68rrunner

Re: fox adjustable shocks settings.. - 01/04/16 10:45 PM

You must have Fox confused with QA1

Re: fox adjustable shocks settings.. - 01/04/16 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By 68rrunner
You must have Fox confused with QA1

Are Fox the shocks that have the word "Fox" on them? If that is the case I don't think I'm confused....but you never know, lot of smart people in the planet.
Like I said I would be surprised if Fox is now giving a lifetime warranty on any shock they make, but good on them if they are.
Posted By: BergmanAutoCraft

Re: fox adjustable shocks settings.. - 01/05/16 12:29 AM

I thought it was three years through Hotchkiss. If the shock perform, servicing is part of the deal. I'm an avid mountain biker and send my shocks in every few years for service.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: fox adjustable shocks settings.. - 01/05/16 12:52 AM

Thats part of having a shock that isnt throw away. The oil gets dirty and needs changed to maintain peak performance period. Piston rings and seals might as well get swapped at the same time. I like King, Bilstein and Fox, in that order personally. Have 0 experience with QA1.

Re: fox adjustable shocks settings.. - 01/05/16 12:54 AM

Fox does warranty their shocks for LIFE against manufacturing defects. Oil changes and rebuilds are not considered defects and thus are not covered by warranty.

Re: fox adjustable shocks settings.. - 01/05/16 02:36 AM

Originally Posted By Jon Rasmussen
Fox does warranty their shocks for LIFE against manufacturing defects. Oil changes and rebuilds are not considered defects and thus are not covered by warranty.

Okay, so is that a deal Hotckis has with Fox?
I have dealt with them lots and don't remember them ever having a life time warranty on any of their shocks, 1 to 3 years for defects at best. Not that it really matters, if the warranty does not cover the seals and oil because those are the items that need attention.
While we are talking shocks are the ones they supply you with gas/nitrogen charged?

Re: fox adjustable shocks settings.. - 01/05/16 03:11 AM

Originally Posted By 67autocross
Originally Posted By Jon Rasmussen

Okay, so is that a deal Hotckis has with Fox?
I have dealt with them lots and don't remember them ever having a life time warranty on any of their shocks, 1 to 3 years for defects at best. Not that it really matters, if the warranty does not cover the seals and oil because those are the items that need attention.
While we are talking shocks are the ones they supply you with gas/nitrogen charged?

Yes, our deal with Fox is a lifetime warranty. Seals and oil are wearable items and are not covered under warranty (unless obviously prematurely defective); we have had a few shocks prematurely leak on our customers in which case we RMA and send out a replacement.

Fox suggests a "service interval" of 50,000 miles on their street shocks where the seals and oil are replaced.

Re: fox adjustable shocks settings.. - 01/05/16 07:45 PM

Like I said in my first post in this topic the seals can be a bit of a problem from time to time with these shocks , you have only been selling them a short time and like you mentioned you have already had some returned because of the seals.
I would just be careful throwing the word “Lifetime” out when selling these, they are not parts store shocks where if you show up with a leaking one five years down the road that they will hand you another one over the counter. The shock owner will have to rebuild them at their cost which I would guess to be around $ 50 per shock minimum with a seal kit and labour. And if you do send in the shock for warranty repair you will find most parts in the shock including the shaft, piston, and even the shock body is considered a wearable items.
Still if you are looking for a high performance shock they are a very good choice.
Posted By: 68rrunner

Re: fox adjustable shocks settings.. - 01/05/16 09:35 PM

All the shocks are assembled by hand at Hotchkis, they show up as blanks from Fox.

If you have a defect or premature failure due to pinched/cut o-ring etc; Hotchkis will swap you shocks. It's not a big deal. Hotchkis is backing the product, not Fox.
Posted By: RylisPro

Re: fox adjustable shocks settings.. - 01/05/16 10:20 PM

I think that is pretty cool that Hotchkis backs these for life. I had no idea and just considered them regular consumable wear items (hell, the entire vehicle is a wear item, haha!) to use and service/replace accordingly.

Sending them in to get the seals/oil replaced only costs you some down time which isn't such a bad deal, how much does the service cost by the way?

Still glad I got a set

Re: fox adjustable shocks settings.. - 01/06/16 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By RylisPro
I think that is pretty cool that Hotchkis backs these for life. I had no idea and just considered them regular consumable wear items (hell, the entire vehicle is a wear item, haha!) to use and service/replace accordingly.

Sending them in to get the seals/oil replaced only costs you some down time which isn't such a bad deal, how much does the service cost by the way?

Still glad I got a set

Fox has a rate of $50/shock on their 2" trucks shocks, so I would expect it to be equal to or less than that since our shocks would require less materials.
© 2024 Moparts Forums