Moparts

OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016

Posted By: BergmanAutoCraft

OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 11/07/15 05:07 PM

The 2016 schedule was just released for the Optima Batteries series. This year there is an event at New Jersey Motorsports Park in May. Last year, the closest event in the northeast was Pittsburgh where we fielded a 71 Challenger. I'm looking forward to participating in this event and thankful there is one close by this year.
Posted By: 67autocross

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 11/07/15 05:32 PM

Should be a good time, I will have to check if they are having one in Minnesota this year I might drive down for it.
I was looking at the cars that are racing the Optima invite this weekend in Las Vegas and I don't see a lot of Mopars, it would be interesting to see how the old cars like ours fit into the field of modern pro-touring cars.

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 11/07/15 06:14 PM

There were and always are cars invited to the finale that did not earn spots there. The top guys are really fast and have big dollars invested. A lot of comes down to driving, but there are many high powered cars there. The 6.1 powered 71 Challenger we had there would have been very competitive with more motor. I'll have to post links to the Pittsburgh event.
Posted By: Uhcoog1

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 11/07/15 10:17 PM

Thanks for posting, peter. I tried to copy and paste all the dates on my phone, no luck.

Dates of interest to me:
Circuit of the Americas. August 6-7.
New Orleans. Sept 17-18.

I'll definitely try to make the COTA date. Gonna be HOT.
Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 11/07/15 10:28 PM

From Facebook:

Quote:
The 2016 schedule has been announced for OPTIMA's Search for the Ultimate Street Car. Registration will open before the end of the year

Thunderhill Raceway February 27-28
Palm Beach International Raceway April 9-10
Las Vegas Motor Speedway April 23-24
New Jersey Motorsports Park May 21-22
Charlotte Motor Speedway July 30-31
Circuit of The Americas August 6-7
Road America August 27-28
New Orleans Motorsports Park September 17-18
Auto Club Speedway October 8-9
Optima Ultimate Street Car Invitational November 4-6

Well, I'm going to have a lot of vacation time next year so maybe I can make a few of these events.

I'm definitely shooting for the one at Auto Club Speedway.

Thunderhill is probably going to be too soon and my car probably won't be sorted out by then. Unfortunately the Las Vegas event is the same days as Spring Fling (so it would have to be a debate as to which to go to). The next closest event is probably in Texas, but I'm going to need a tow out there.
Posted By: prrc

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 11/08/15 01:26 AM

Looking forward to making some of these events as well. Really been burning the midnight oil to make this happy for next years events.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 11/08/15 03:53 AM

Just my luck they are not returning to Colo. I think COTA is closer than Road America to me.
Posted By: jcc

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 11/08/15 09:05 PM

Related OT, the following is from the 2015 Vintage class rules:

"c. GTV class - any spoiler or wing configuration with a maximum of
8” tall from it’s highest mounting point or a maximum height of 6” above the
lowest point of the rear window, whichever is less. The maximum width of the
spoiler/wing must be no wider than the original panels of the car and must not
extend more than 6 inches past the furthest point of the rear of the car. No wing
may exceed 8 inches in length (front to back) at any point"

Its a little confusing to me. Earlier the rules mention rule #42, ie, basically, if the rules do not state its legal, its not. Then they say a hood scoop, etc, is an OK modification, but say nothing about a FG hood or trunk lid. The above GTV class rule limits wings, but doesn't say if they are talking about aftermarket or just OEM's, and in 1962 wings where only on planes and birds. Additionally, when they mention "Mounting point", do they mean the lowest point of the wing support strut, or the lowest part of the of the wing that attaches to the strut? They also say wing cannot exceed 8" in length front to back, is that in any one spot F to R, or if the wing is curved L to R then from the farthest back point to the farthest forward point? Does this limitation include the end plates? I of course could contact them, but seems these interpretations have already been decided. Anybody?
Posted By: 68rrunner

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 11/09/15 01:15 AM

I think that as long as you are within the spirit of the rules, unless you are a top contender, it shouldn't matter. The rule was designed to discourage the wings a lot of the New generation cars had on them, which to say the least, were ridiculously huge. One of the Older Camaros even had a Wing that could articulate to provide reduced drag at top speed or increased downforce during braking and could split on two planes for cornering. The wing had been banned in many other series, and not it's banned there as well.

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 11/09/15 03:02 AM

I understand and can appreciate the "spirit" thing. However almost everyone wants to be a "top contender", that is the point. Regarding "wings", leaving anything on the table should never be a goal. Mounting height of rear wings is a huge factor in wing efficiency on our typical sedan/brick shaped decades old cars. Can't really figure out if adding a wing to a car that did not have one OEm is even allowed, and that reflects back to rule #42. They also have copied the Moparts rule book, where they state their decisions are final, can be made at any time, and the reasoning is "confidential". I am thinking this entire event is to sell aftermarket parts by their sponsors for the new cars on the market, and having old iron crash the party and spoil the on track video fitted with items no vendor offers, is not going to make for repeat vendor participation. I just don't like being considered cannon fodder, if that's the case.

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 11/09/15 06:21 AM

Originally Posted By BergmanAutoCraft
There were and always are cars invited to the finale that did not earn spots there. The top guys are really fast and have big dollars invested. A lot of comes down to driving, but there are many high powered cars there. The 6.1 powered 71 Challenger we had there would have been very competitive with more motor. I'll have to post links to the Pittsburgh event.

Post some links if you have them I would like to check out the Challenger, how much more motor do you need than a 6.1 Hemi to be competitive at one of these events? You think that would be enough or close, thanks.
Posted By: ntstlgl1970

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 11/09/15 08:25 AM

realistically, I think you need 650hp to be somewhat competitive, most of the cars (at least at SEMA) have power adders or have professionally built NA race engines

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 11/09/15 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By ntstlgl1970
realistically, I think you need 650hp to be somewhat competitive, most of the cars (at least at SEMA) have power adders or have professionally built NA race engines

I just had a look at the results from the USCA Vegas race this past week end and some of the cars, there is a lot of fast cars in the field. Even if it is an invite race you would still need to have something that was well dialed in just to qualify, I would say if I was trying to make the field that it would be easier in a newer car. Although a few old Mopars did make it in, looks like a 64 Valiant and a 69 Charger.
Posted By: RylisPro

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 11/09/15 06:16 PM

Anyone going to the Las Vegas event?
It's close enough to the Spring Fling event that I might was well go! Las Vegas Motor Speedway is only about 4 hours from Willow Springs International.

I would rather be on another track vs. Spring Fling anyways!
Posted By: 68rrunner

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 11/09/15 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By 67autocross

I just had a look at the results from the USCA Vegas race this past week end and some of the cars, there is a lot of fast cars in the field. Even if it is an invite race you would still need to have something that was well dialed in just to qualify, I would say if I was trying to make the field that it would be easier in a newer car. Although a few old Mopars did make it in, looks like a 64 Valiant and a 69 Charger.

The 69 is the Charger recently completed by DSE and is HEMI powered. Speaking to Kyle and Stacy, they were more than impressed with the power from the 3Gen HEMI. The Valiant is the Rod and Custom Skunkworks; custom Mustang 2 front and custom rear 4 link based of of Chevy A body Components with improved geometry. All aluminium Indy RB.

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 11/09/15 10:51 PM

Come to COTA Ariel! Let's go.

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 11/09/15 11:30 PM

Originally Posted By Uhcoog1

Yeah I put Aug 6-7th on my calendar.
Hopefully the cost won't be that bad haha!
Gonna need to take some time off but that's what vacation days are for!

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 11/10/15 12:02 AM

Originally Posted By MuuMuu101
From Facebook:

Quote:
The 2016 schedule has been announced for OPTIMA's Search for the Ultimate Street Car. Registration will open before the end of the year

Thunderhill Raceway February 27-28
Palm Beach International Raceway April 9-10
Las Vegas Motor Speedway April 23-24
New Jersey Motorsports Park May 21-22
Charlotte Motor Speedway July 30-31
Circuit of The Americas August 6-7
Road America August 27-28
New Orleans Motorsports Park September 17-18
Auto Club Speedway October 8-9
Optima Ultimate Street Car Invitational November 4-6

So if the rules stay relatively the same, which 3-6 tracks would best suit our older cars, ie pre ABS, non IRS, w/o modern aero, etc. It would seem if you can pick your three best weekends to represent your total score, and time and money prevents running every track, I would think a little thought would be helpful in where one runs. I'm thinking mid speed tracks, HP useful, but not so fast aero holds our old cars back, a smooth track to reduce IRS benefits ( I mention this because they ran Sebring 2? years ago and it can be brutal on the set-up). I have no first hand knowledge of any of these tracks except PBIR. The big unknown, I know at Daytona they added chicanes on the straights with banking, to keep speeds under control. So which would you pick and why?

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 11/10/15 03:28 AM

Wade and I have BS'ing back and forth and it looks COTA is a go. Its either that or Road America for this guy stuck in the middle of the states and since I have what I call a friend, Wade, eager to compete as well its a no brainer. Hope some more peeps can make it work also.

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 11/10/15 04:26 AM

COTA!
Posted By: ntstlgl1970

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 11/10/15 05:26 AM

I'm pretty sure that was the orange charger in the central hall - here is the engine.....I'm sure they are making good power with that

Attached picture dse charger engine.jpg

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 11/10/15 05:46 AM

I'm pretty sure that was the orange charger in the central hall - here is the engine.....I'm sure they are making good power with that

That's a weird spot to put the fuel regulator?
Unless maybe it's a dead head setup?!

Really clean though!
Posted By: dangina

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 11/10/15 08:03 AM

Originally Posted By jcc
I understand and can appreciate the "spirit" thing. However almost everyone wants to be a "top contender", that is the point. Regarding "wings", leaving anything on the table should never be a goal. Mounting height of rear wings is a huge factor in wing efficiency on our typical sedan/brick shaped decades old cars. Can't really figure out if adding a wing to a car that did not have one OEm is even allowed, and that reflects back to rule #42. They also have copied the Moparts rule book, where they state their decisions are final, can be made at any time, and the reasoning is "confidential". I am thinking this entire event is to sell aftermarket parts by their sponsors for the new cars on the market, and having old iron crash the party and spoil the on track video fitted with items no vendor offers, is not going to make for repeat vendor participation. I just don't like being considered cannon fodder, if that's the case.

I say do it anyways, beat those sponsored companies involved, come out on top, drink champagne, get the girl...

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 11/10/15 11:32 AM

Originally Posted By 67autocross
Originally Posted By BergmanAutoCraft

Post some links if you have them I would like to check out the Challenger, how much more motor do you need than a 6.1 Hemi to be competitive at one of these events? You think that would be enough or close, thanks.

probably another 200hp...The top guys are fast.
Posted By: Brian

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 11/10/15 07:16 PM

COTA in August, the temperature will probably be hovering around 100 degrees fan , beautiful track with lots of runoff for less experienced road racers like myself blush , rollbar not required for hardtop cars and my car should have a couple of months running under it's belt by then so I'm going to say I'm in drive

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 11/11/15 12:36 AM

Alright Brian!
Posted By: JAMESDART

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 11/11/15 12:49 AM

NJMP sounds good, I'm going to shoot for it.

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 11/14/15 02:46 AM

I have the video game Forza 6 and wow, COTA is just stupid. Its like an ANTI-momentum track. Cant wait....

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 11/14/15 03:09 AM

Definitely an F1 track!

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 11/28/15 09:21 AM

Looks like they are going to Pikes, July 9-10. That would be WAY more convenient for me. Im going to wait and see how it shakes out.

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 11/28/15 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By 72Swinger
Looks like they are going to Pikes, July 9-10. That would be WAY more convenient for me. Im going to wait and see how it shakes out.

For sure
Posted By: Polarapete

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 11/29/15 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By Uhcoog1

That is my idea of a dual purpose Duster. I like it!!
Posted By: norcal-fjo

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 12/14/15 06:29 AM

Yikes! My local track is Thunderhill in February! I'd better hurry with my prep. Gonna come quick after the holidays.

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 04/26/16 03:14 AM

So the njmp event is a couple weeks away. I was hoping to make it but not sure I will. Do you have to pre register? Is there a car cutoff? It looks like you have to get a yearly membership but I haven't found much info specific to that event. I'd be a total newbie but wanted to take advantage of it coming to nj.

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 04/26/16 04:36 AM

entry needs paid in full 45 days before event. You can put $100 down to get your name on the list.

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 05/25/16 04:08 AM

I really wanted to run This event. I emailed the USCA. They said there was no 45 day cut off. Just sign up and go. Membership wasn't required. I gave a brief description of my duster. Guy was real cool. Said bring the car, I'd have a blast and its a great group of guys. Then I realized how much it cost. I couldnt justify it. 250 for 1 day or 550 for the 2 day. I have ton of other things I can use that money for.

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 05/25/16 04:55 AM

They have really increased pricing this year over last. Track rental isn't cheap though.

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 05/25/16 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By JAMESDART
I really wanted to run This event. I emailed the USCA. They said there was no 45 day cut off. Just sign up and go. Membership wasn't required. I gave a brief description of my duster. Guy was real cool. Said bring the car, I'd have a blast and its a great group of guys. Then I realized how much it cost. I couldnt justify it. 250 for 1 day or 550 for the 2 day. I have ton of other things I can use that money for.

That maybe true, and I have no idea what other track experience you already have with your car, but be careful discounting it, as it does quickly point out what things you should be spending your money on, if handling performance is a goal, just sayin.

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 05/27/16 04:48 AM

I was always just a drag racer and I'm thinking I should just stick to that.

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 05/27/16 04:25 PM

Maybe, but you should try it, at least once, you never know, you might be good at it, and even if not, few have ever said they didn't get a kick out of it. twocents

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 05/27/16 11:46 PM

Man I bet its a blast,I just have to find a cheaper option than that.

Re: OPTIMA BATTERIES 2016 - 05/28/16 05:22 AM

Look at SCCA autox James. $40, made 5 runs and found some to do's the car needed.
© 2024 Moparts Forums