Moparts

8 3/4 disc brake conversion inquiry

Posted By: WS68SSC

8 3/4 disc brake conversion inquiry - 09/19/15 05:45 PM

"For the love of god! Not another 8 3/4 disc brake conversion thread!!"

Has anyone done this economically by using junkyard parts and it ACTUALLY worked?

Please no links with pages of tech info where it says you have to clap your hands, take 7 steps forward, read Mopar witchcraft, etc. And also don't post links that have a new disc brake billet kit for $900+.

Just trying to economically put disc's on the rear of my big block Dart.
Posted By: cageman

Re: 8 3/4 disc brake conversion inquiry - 09/19/15 06:24 PM

I use ford rotors off of an explorer front, gm small metric calipers (monte carlo, 83) and weld on gm caliper mounts, im happy with it, done it to a few of my vehicles, along with customers, they get new stuff, ill use junkyard parts, lol.
Gotta shave a bit off the weld on mounts. The axle is bigger diameter than what a ford nine inch is. I clamp the bracket to the rotor with a one inch square tube to space it away. Just have to have the caliper bolts screwed in and just the width of a washer away from the rotors edge. You get it to close, the rotor will rub.
I hate drums, so i do this swap all the time, basically the same thing every circle track car has.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: 8 3/4 disc brake conversion inquiry - 09/19/15 06:24 PM

Dr. Diff
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: 8 3/4 disc brake conversion inquiry - 09/19/15 06:31 PM

Scarebird (no I won't paste a link) offers $135 brackets that use junkyard parts ('82-'87 Lincoln rotors and 1979-85 Cadillac Eldorado calipers).
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: 8 3/4 disc brake conversion inquiry - 09/19/15 06:40 PM

There are no "junkyard" Mopar rear disc brake conversions that will simply bolt to an 8.75" rear.

The closest thing is a Jeep set up, but this requires machine work.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: 8 3/4 disc brake conversion inquiry - 09/20/15 04:30 AM

There isn't a cheap easy junkyard kit that works. That is why people worked on developing kits. The DoctorDiff kit is the best one available. A lot of the other kits don't work much better than the home built junkyard setups.
Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: 8 3/4 disc brake conversion inquiry - 09/20/15 04:32 AM

Doctor Diff's kit, as far as I know, is also the only one that allows you to use factory-style tapered axle bearings. All of the other ones require Green Bearings.
Posted By: 68rrunner

Re: 8 3/4 disc brake conversion inquiry - 09/20/15 06:26 AM

Used Ford 8.8 (disc brakes, LSD, good factory gear ratios) from a Ford Explorer can be had from 250-400 buck s at a junkyard. A set of perches and a quick stop at the driveshaft shop and you are in!
© 2024 Moparts Forums