Moparts

Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross

Posted By: bordin34

Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/12/15 04:03 AM

I have a 73 Charger with a 440, HV oil pump, windage tray, and 402 oil pan. I am setting up the car for autocross and am worried about starving the engine for oil. As of right now I have crappy all-seasons, Radial TA, on 15" wheels. In the near future I am upgrading to Direzza ZII on 17" wheels. I have 2.45 rear gears currently so I will never have to shift out of 1st at AutoX.
Do I risk losing oil pressure with my current setup?
Do I risk losing oil pressure with the upgraded wheels and tires.
Posted By: amxautox

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/12/15 04:06 AM

yup

oh ya

look on summit web site, and/or that other race parts web site.

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/12/15 04:09 AM

Thank You,
Looks like summit has a $100 6qt hemi repro pan.
Posted By: Jerry

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/12/15 04:12 AM

You need a wide pan that's baffled not a 6 quart stock style pan. Also get an accumulator

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/12/15 04:19 AM

I assume those will interfere with some headers?
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/12/15 04:20 AM

Milodon's stock replacement pans have a minimal baffle in them, better than stock but not as pricey as an all out road race pan. How much it helps, I dunno. I usually use that and a windage tray as well as a lifter valley baffle as the extent of my oil control setup, but that is on a smallblock, you don't need the lifter valley baffle on a BB.

An accumulator might be cheap insurance though.

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/12/15 04:26 AM

Milodon

That's the name I couldn't think of. Look on their web site to see what they make.

And the other parts web site. Jegs

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/12/15 04:30 AM

Milodon 31580 is the road race pan. Its expensive.

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/12/15 04:32 AM

Yes they are, $600 or more. But worth it rather than blowing a motor.
Posted By: RylisPro

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/12/15 04:53 AM

For the Milodon 31580 pan you need the 18328 oil pickup about $500 bucks from Summit
Good luck on them being available from Milodon
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/12/15 01:31 PM

They provide peace of mind, they keep at least a quart trapped at all times. Doubt clearance from headers would be an issue at all. I run a Road Race pan AND an accumulator on my current rendition. Car has REALLY good brakes and REALLY sticky back tires, it corners ok too, at least it used too.....

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/12/15 02:09 PM

I completely agree.
I think it is a good thing that more and more people are ordering these road racing parts.
It may make Milodon consider us Mopar fans profitable instead of just the Ford and GM guys.
Supply and demand
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/12/15 04:13 PM

Quote:

So are engines-pay me now or pay me MORE later. Here's one in my 68 Barracuda, it's a tight fit in the K, but doesn't hit anything.
It was leaking from one of the welds, Brian @ IMM epoxyied it up. By the time the engine was on the pump it was out of warranty and I didn't have time to get with them to try and get an exchange.

Attached picture 8426985-DSC03303.JPG
Posted By: CKessel

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/12/15 04:38 PM

I have one of those pans plus the 3/8 pickup for it. Was going to use it on the new Indy motor for the car but the Indy came with a revised version of the pan. Its setup for an external pickup now. New pan camping out on the shelf. Any takers? Pm me.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/12/15 06:47 PM

Quote:

Yes, but $600 is a lot less than an engine rebuild where I live.

You always could get a weld up kit from an oval track supplier and double up on it for both sides of the sump to add capacity and trap doors. Maybe cost you $100 plus time and labor.

Big thing is to keep oil around the pick up. This is why good pans are expensive. They have internal sumps and gates to trap oil around the pick up in specific directions so that there is always oil at the tube.

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/12/15 08:08 PM

Thanks, I decided to buy a Milodon pan before I AutoX it. For now the 944 will have to do.
Has anyone tried to put this pan in a 73+ B-body yet?
Posted By: Viol8r

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/12/15 08:22 PM

Quote:

Thanks, I decided to buy a Milodon pan before I AutoX it. For now the 944 will have to do.
Has anyone tried to put this pan in a 73+ B-body yet?

I run the Milodon Road Race Pan on a '68, never needed an accumulator with this set-up. Plenty of time of the road course.
Posted By: Tomswheels

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/12/15 10:13 PM

I run a Kevco on my 360, stock size but baffled. I'm not sure if they make a big block one, but they are less expensive than Milodon...

Attached picture 8427312-image.jpg
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/12/15 10:38 PM

Kevko can build big block pans. I have several big block pans from them.
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/12/15 10:47 PM

Its too bad MaMopar never baffled their pans in the first place, E/SPecially for those cars that were marketed for hi-per usage (RT, TA-AAR, etc); the 440-6 and Hemi cars had baffles for acceleration/deceleration, but that alone doesn't do enough for cornering.... but that pan will help the BB engine live longer.

Get the Milodon pan for your BB. On my SB I've welded f/r/side horizontal plates for baffeling (did that ~40 years ago... best mod I've ever done to the car to save the engine!)... I may someday upgrade to the Milodon pan as it appears to be a hi-quality product worht its expense. I advise other people I meet (w/Mopars) that the 1st thing they need to do is modify or change their oil pan to include baffeles.

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/13/15 03:46 AM

Another thing that needs addressed is valve cover baffling IMO. ANY aftermarket VC's suck in this dept. Been down that road already....

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/13/15 03:52 AM

I currently have stock stamped covers. I had stamped aluminum moroso covers with no baffles but getting them to seal started to become a pain.

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/13/15 04:08 AM

Quote:

I currently have stock stamped covers. I had stamped aluminum moroso covers with no baffles but getting them to seal started to become a pain.

Stock are the best for baffling. Its an easy thing to take for granted until you start getting into some cornering G's.
Posted By: goldduster318

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/13/15 04:15 AM

Quote:

I run a Kevco on my 360, stock size but baffled. I'm not sure if they make a big block one, but they are less expensive than Milodon...

And you have had no pressure drop issues? If so that makes me feel pretty good since I also have a Kevko on my 340. Haven't cornered hard enough yet to find out.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/13/15 04:47 AM

I ordered my pan directly from the manufacturer, it was $380 plus shipping, it was the 31581, had the external oil line....Tim
Posted By: Tomswheels

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/13/15 07:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

And you have had no pressure drop issues? If so that makes me feel pretty good since I also have a Kevko on my 340. Haven't cornered hard enough yet to find out.

No pressure drop yet!
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/13/15 08:17 AM

Quote:

Increased capacity with no compromise of ground clearance and gated to keep oil under pickup, what not to like except price?

Answer: Flimsy flange which is prone to severe dimpling when torqued to recommended 15 pounds,,,unless you are a fan of silicone sealers, which I am not,,,,will likely leak if not torqued to that number. Your results may vary depending on gasket supplier.

A bit of 1/8th steel stock and a drill press has addressed this severe design flaw very well for me. No silicone and no leaks.

Attached picture 8427827-image.jpg
Posted By: BergmanAutoCraft

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/13/15 06:25 PM

X2 on the Milodon pan, IF they have it. Usually they are out of stock....I also sell a one piece plastic/silicone oil pan gasket that has a windage tray built in.
Posted By: PHJ426

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/14/15 03:23 AM

For the 360 guys here is the pan you need. They also make it for 6.1 Hemi, no idea if it also fits 5.7 Hemi

http://www.daileyengineering.com/mopar_360.htm

Attached picture 8428492-20-02-0664PHOTO2.jpg

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/14/15 04:07 AM

What? No AMC 390 pan and pumps?
Posted By: 68cuda440

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/14/15 07:03 AM

Quote:

So are engines-pay me now or pay me MORE later. Here's one in my 68 Barracuda, it's a tight fit in the K, but doesn't hit anything.

I put one in a '68 Barracuda in 2004 w/ a '75 K-frame and had to clearance the K-frame a little. Mine has the 1/2" pick up. The bottom of the pan sits flush with the K-frame, it holds 7 quarts, and has the little trap doors to keep the oil in the pickup area during accel / decel and turns.

Attached picture is the Lokar dipstick fit tested using the 1/2" NPT port on the top of the sump.

Attached picture 8428655-DSC05942.jpg

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/14/15 08:12 AM

Sweet pics Micheal I have one of my BB 72 A body K member from underneath

Attached picture 8428698-001.JPG

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/14/15 08:16 AM

Got one with Gen III too. Its a little more snug to the same K member.

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/14/15 04:21 PM

The picture of the Lokar stick is similar to what I have to do for the 581 pan. The Indy aluminum block has no provision for a stick. They must figure its not neccessary to keep an eye on the oil level. HMMM! I'll drain the oil out after the unit is mounted in the rh pan bung then mark it starting at 5qts for every quart added so there is at least some refference to go by besides rod knock. I'll also mount the k-frame to it while its on the stand to clearance as needed for the pan, frame reinforcements, headers etc.

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/14/15 06:07 PM

Quote:

Got one with Gen III too. Its a little more snug to the same K member.

Does the 31003 use a specific dipstick? Part number?

Thanks

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/14/15 10:24 PM

Im just using an ebay special on mine. Gonna have to make another "stick" though out of stainless tig rod because this one reads just barely.
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/14/15 11:38 PM

Mine's in a '68 with a '75 K as well. I trimmed the K when I had it out to reinforce it, so I don't have any data on how it would have fit without that. The K stampings don't seem to have a lot of consistency, so YMMV. I used the Schumaker mounts, I've got a crank scraper, but no windage tray.
Posted By: cageman

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 02/16/15 05:43 PM

I just called the guys at kevko, they are building my pan to the exact specs I gave them, this is my first big block, but I have like ten of their small block pans, I recommend them highly. I talked to the exact guy building my pan. I like that.

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 03/09/15 07:20 PM

Small update. I tried mocking up the pan today. Looks like I will have to clearance the kframe.

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 03/10/15 03:25 PM

Glad to see you are already at it on the pan! When I start working on mine, I have the luxury of the k-frame is not mounted and the engine is on the stand. Will do the clearance checking without diving under the car.

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 03/13/15 02:15 AM

Another update. Looks like I may need to clearance the oil pan with a hammer on the front before the sump. I have around 5/8" between the windage tray and the k-frame and I dont think thats enough room for the oil pan.
Posted By: ntstlgl1970

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 03/13/15 03:11 AM

It's tight but it should fit in there, related question - are your motor mounts good? if not the motor can sink and reduce the clearance - I had that problem...

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 03/13/15 03:20 AM

I remember them being good from when I put in the motor, but I could be wrong. Right now I have the windage tray and pickup in. It looks like it will be a lot of fun getting the oil pan and gasket on.
Edit: I may remove the mounts tomorrow and fill them with window weld if they are bad.

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 03/15/15 03:39 AM

Another update. I don't think its possible to install this oil pan into a 3rd Gen b-body with the engine still connected to the Trans.

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 03/17/15 10:55 PM

Another update. I had to cut the pan a bit above the drain hole. The pan is one the engine. Now I am hoping all the bolt holes line up. It seems some may be slightly off.

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 03/17/15 11:51 PM

Kudos to you for the effort! I pulled my engine when I put one on my BB.

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 03/18/15 03:51 AM

The pan and all the bolts are in. I just need to torque the bolts and it is good to go.
The way the pan is supposed to go on is you put the pan up to the engine with the rear of the pan where the torque converter would be, then slide the pan forward. I removed enough metal so that the pan would drop straight in.

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 03/22/15 03:03 AM

Final update related to the install. I finished the install last night and autocrossed today.
I used my 15" wheels and Radial T/A's knowing they would be terrible, getting any sort of traction was a joke. I need to upgrade to real tires soon. On my first run I got red flagged for part of my exhaust falling off, on the second run one of my heater hoses developed a tear. I fixed the hose between the morning and afternoon runs. The good news is I wasnt the slowest person. I ran a 56.3 on my final run, improving 3 seconds over my next fastest run. FTD was 44.3 by a Miata. An average fast car on good tires ran about a 48. I'm confident with good tires and an LSD rearend I can almost be competitive, albeit still on the slower side because of the long wheelbase and weight.

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 03/22/15 03:05 AM

But it was fun.

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 03/22/15 05:57 AM

It was, tomorrow I have an SCCA Autocross with my 944.

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 03/23/15 10:15 PM

Here are videos from Saturday. Most of the GoPro runs start around a minute in. GoPro 2 is the same run as the Charger Autocross 1. GoPro 3 is Charger 5.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38ettFo2gZk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOdr9dqHZvk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffQ0CZbXFpU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdbg8uKGnyc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGS7xQ5nVcw
Posted By: JAMESDART

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 03/24/15 10:06 PM

what did you have to cut on the pan?

Re: Big Block Oil Pan For Autocross - 03/25/15 03:36 PM

I cut out the red trapezoid as far back as I could.
For some reason the img code isnt working. http://imgur.com/sShCgp6
[img]http://i.imgur.com/sShCgp6.jpg?1[/img]
© 2024 Moparts Forums