Moparts

Optima Ultimate Strret Car

Posted By: HUSTLESTUFF

Optima Ultimate Strret Car - 01/27/15 11:37 AM

Not sure if anyone is making plans yet, but registration is open and if you're a first timer use the code "First" for 50% off registration. I'm doing the Thunderhill event Feb 28 and Mar 1. Hope to see some cool cars. Only Mopar so far.
http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/new...dates-announced
Mike
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Optima Ultimate Strret Car - 01/27/15 03:54 PM

The Pikes Peak event I would love to compete in but I'm already committed to run in the SORC Aug. 5-8. Road America is the last week of August and I'm thinking that one may be my best bet. Then the week after that is the SCCA CAM championship in Lincoln,NE. Could be a ton of wheel time for me in Aug-Sept if I get crackin on my car.
Posted By: BergmanAutoCraft

Re: Optima Ultimate Strret Car - 01/27/15 04:48 PM

I did the last event last year at Pittsburgh with a 71 Challenger we built for a customer, 6.1, tremec and XV level 2. Cool event, but completely dominated by GM cars. Its a big showcase for Detroit Speed. 14 out of 42 cars ran their suspension at that event. No Northeast Events this year sadly.

Re: Optima Ultimate Strret Car - 01/27/15 05:30 PM

Quote:

I did the last event last year at Pittsburgh with a 71 Challenger we built for a customer, 6.1, tremec and XV level 2. Cool event, but completely dominated by GM cars. Its a big showcase for Detroit Speed. 14 out of 42 cars ran their suspension at that event. No Northeast Events this year sadly.

Exactly why I want to make a showing. If I'm gonna beat the crap out of my car, it may as well be for a good cause.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Optima Ultimate Strret Car - 01/27/15 05:32 PM

I'm contemplating signing up or at least watching the Pikes Peak event. However, my car is far, far from ultimate in appearance and its actual performance is yet to be sorted out. If I do drive in it, its will be a case of not necessarily placing but seeing how much smack down I'll get on 15" tires and stock suspension.
Posted By: Consulier

Re: Optima Ultimate Strret Car - 01/27/15 05:55 PM

Quote:

I'm contemplating signing up or at least watching the Pikes Peak event. However, my car is far, far from ultimate in appearance and its actual performance is yet to be sorted out. If I do drive in it, its will be a case of not necessarily placing but seeing how much smack down I'll get on 15" tires and stock suspension.

A well driven stock suspension car on 15's will put the smack down on well over 1/2 the field at one of these events.

Re: Optima Ultimate Strret Car - 01/27/15 05:57 PM

Quote:

Not sure if anyone is making plans yet, but registration is open and if you're a first timer use the code "First" for 50% off registration. I'm doing the Thunderhill event Feb 28 and Mar 1. Hope to see some cool cars. Only Mopar so far.
Mike

Sadly, unless somebody else from Moparts signs up, it will probably be you and that LS Challenger representing the Mopar crowd.

Re: Optima Ultimate Strret Car - 01/27/15 06:05 PM

Quote:

The Pikes Peak event I would love to compete in but I'm already committed to run in the SORC Aug. 5-8. Road America is the last week of August and I'm thinking that one may be my best bet. Then the week after that is the SCCA CAM championship in Lincoln,NE. Could be a ton of wheel time for me in Aug-Sept if I get crackin on my car.

You should make it to Road America. I've run the last 2 years and it's been fun and they have a decent turn out.

Same as usual, don't expect many Mopars. Last year I think I was the only one and 2013 actually had few late models and the RMS Duster.

Re: Optima Ultimate Strret Car - 01/27/15 06:37 PM

The other draw to that event for me is the Nationwide and T/A races also running on Saturday.
Posted By: Tom_440

Re: Optima Ultimate Strret Car - 01/27/15 07:08 PM

Wait...
I can just sign up for the 2015 OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitational at Las Vegas Motor Speedway with no experience? That sounds hazardous.
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: Optima Ultimate Strret Car - 01/27/15 07:50 PM

I might come up to Road America in August to watch the event...
Posted By: Tomswheels

Re: Optima Ultimate Strret Car - 01/28/15 01:48 AM

Kevin, while this may have been true 2 or 3 years ago, things changed last year at the Fontana USCA event I attended. Huge HP Huge $$ cars driven by people who are racing a lot, and getting a lot better than they used to be. I had a brand new 2013 420HP Mustang Brembo GT at the 2012 Run to the Coast in CA and beat almost everybody, finishing 4th on the road course. Last year at the USCA in the same car, competing against many of the same cars (who had been constantly upgraded for 2 years) and I finished 17th.... They are getting faster. That being said I wish I had more HP in the Valiant, cause I know I could give em hell on the Autocross and Speed Stop, but not with 250HP on the Road Course

Attached picture 8410100-image.jpg
Posted By: ntstlgl1970

Re: Optima Ultimate Strret Car - 01/28/15 04:58 AM

I'm going to try and make it out there. looks like a fun event

Re: Optima Ultimate Strret Car - 01/28/15 05:21 AM

Quote:

A well driven stock suspension car on 15's will put the smack down on well over 1/2 the field at one of these events.

I'm guessing I would not be in the bottom quarter of the field for sure and could maybe hold on against a fair percentage of cars that may be willing to travel this far from either coast, should I run. However, my 15" MT/SRs don't actually have a tread wear rating on them. Not sure how that would factor agains the 200tw requirement.

Quote:

Wait...
I can just sign up for the 2015 OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitational at Las Vegas Motor Speedway with no experience? That sounds hazardous.

No. Groups are classed according to experience and sub divided into four different vehicle classes.

GO hear to see details on the rules; http://driveusca.com/

Quote:

Kevin, while this may have been true 2 or 3 years ago, things changed last year at the Fontana USCA event I attended. Huge HP Huge $$ cars driven by people who are racing a lot, and getting a lot better than they used to be.

So, I'm unsure of the exact rule requirement previously, but one of the bullets in this years rules are that only the owner, family member, or employee of the shop responsible for 75% of the build is allowed to drive the car. Yes I'm sure there are some pretty good drivers, especially if they have been driving and modifying the same car for a couple of years now. But I'd think that eliminates having a ringer as a driver in a large % of cases.
Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: Optima Ultimate Strret Car - 01/28/15 05:50 AM

Reading the rules reminds me of the Baja competitions. If I knew how to drive and I get the proper drivetrain setup in my Dart, I think it could be a good competitor.

Re: Optima Ultimate Strret Car - 01/28/15 05:49 PM

800 mile tow to RA. I need to get crackin, car needs to be on point for a deal like that. Don't want any issues after a haul like that. Gonna need fricken tires too, thinking Rivals in the rear and ZII's in front haha.
Posted By: Viol8r

Re: Optima Ultimate Strret Car - 01/28/15 06:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mike

Sadly, unless somebody else from Moparts signs up, it will probably be you and that LS Challenger representing the Mopar crowd.

I will be at Thunderhill.......and for the last 3 years, I have been the only Mopar (minus the LS powered thing) that has been at the events that we attended. Pretty sad to be honest.
Posted By: RylisPro

Re: Optima Ultimate Strret Car - 01/28/15 07:32 PM

Damn I wish I could have made it to Thunderhill! One of my local tracks!
There was no way I could have made this anyway, my balancer on the 340 separated and I will be in the middle of an engine swap.

I wonder if they will take an S2000?
Posted By: Uhcoog1

Re: Optima Ultimate Strret Car - 01/28/15 07:43 PM

I'll try for 2016 - the 2015 Texas date conflicts with the Mustang Roundup weekend I'm running at TWS. And honestly I would rather run down new mustangs on a 2.9 mile track vs run the little 1.07 mile road course at TMS.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Optima Ultimate Strret Car - 01/28/15 09:15 PM

I Like the new classes vs last year much better then 2014. Obviously some tracks from 2014 were dropped, (Daytona/Sebring) but not sure which others or why.

FWIW 2014 at Daytona fastest lap in second "expert" session for the day, was set by a driver who candidly admitted to me, this was his first time ever driving on a road course. His stock 2014 Mercedes was kinda fast, with all the driver aids.

Re: Optima Ultimate Strret Car - 01/29/15 06:37 PM

Quote:

Kevin, while this may have been true 2 or 3 years ago, things changed last year... They are getting faster.

I disagree that the cars have gotten any faster, it's the drivers. There was a pretty big leap that could be made with the driving. 2-3 years ago most of them were just not very good and the instruction at this years events made a big improvement.

If you look at the times for the cars, the fast cars are lapping at about the same pass in 2014 as the were in 2013. Some are slightly faster, but not huge leaps. Other than the late model and AWD stuff, I think the PT cars have hit a bit of a plateau for lap times.

I'll use USCA Road America as an example and use overall numbers without class splits... I ran my 2013 Challenger R/T in 2013 and finished 19th with a 1:52.825. In 2014 I ran my 2013 Challenger SRT8 Core and finished 16th running a 1:48.658. Now, I picked up 4 seconds due to the car change, but the 1st place finishing time actually slowed by 4 tenths of a second from 2013 to 2014. My time for 2014 would have been 10th overall in 2013.

Similar group of cars, but the driving was distinctly better between the years. More guys picked up big chunks of time. Those big leaps in the same car is not due to more power, brakes, etc... It's driver skill, especially at a more technical track like Road America that has big fast corners and elevation changes.

At the less technical and flat tracks you see a more compact group of lap times with what I would consider the "usual" expectations of a car finishing where it should... cars that appear to be fast/competitive at the top. Why? Simple layout, easy to learn, nothing too scary to deal with. Throw in some high speed carousels, elevation changes, blind crest, etc... and the standings get shuffled up like crazy. Essentially, if you are driving a car with limited modifications, pick your event wisely if you are concerned about finishing position.

Back to the stock suspended comment... I know what the Brick runs at Gingerman and these other tracks. Well known that it's stock suspended, if I put 225/50 Direzza's on it, it would finish a couple seconds ahead of my Challenger. At an event like USCA/Road America it would be well into the top 15, at Motorstate/Gingerman it would be in the top 10.

A well driven Viper, Z06 and possibly a Z28, will podium at any of these events. Running the camera car at MIS I was 4th fastest by less than 1/2 second. This being in a bone stock 2014 Viper TA press fleet car and never getting the chance to put down a true "hot" lap since I was doing camera work.

These cars are not untouchable... far from it.

Re: Optima Ultimate Strret Car - 01/29/15 06:43 PM

Quote:

One ran MIS and qualified for Vegas. Killed it at the Autocross, a little slow on the road course.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Optima Ultimate Strret Car - 01/30/15 07:34 PM

Quote:

Hasn't Detroit Speed just recently released/designed some Mopar specific chassis stuff, to their credit?
Posted By: RylisPro

Re: Optima Ultimate Strret Car - 01/30/15 11:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

One ran MIS and qualified for Vegas. Killed it at the Autocross, a little slow on the road course.

Yeah I am seriously debating whether to go to Thunderhill? Saturday is the auto-x and show portion which I'm not really interested in. Sunday is the road course portion only. Not bad for $275, but for $25 more I can go to two track days at Buttonwillow on March 7-8th

Decisions, decisions...
Posted By: Viol8r

Re: Optima Ultimate Strret Car - 01/31/15 12:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah I am seriously debating whether to go to Thunderhill? Saturday is the auto-x and show portion which I'm not really interested in. Sunday is the road course portion only. Not bad for $275, but for $25 more I can go to two track days at Buttonwillow on March 7-8th

Decisions, decisions...

If you have not done it, the Saturday stuff is pretty fun. The do usually have an interesting speed stop and autocross. Usually not my thing either, but it's cool to just kick around and hang out with the other guys. The Road Rally gives you a chance to see the area and enjoy a night out on the town.

Re: Optima Ultimate Strret Car - 01/31/15 05:43 AM

Quote:

Hasn't Detroit Speed just recently released/designed some Mopar specific chassis stuff, to their credit?

They said they were going to, but all they have done so far is graft a Camaro front stub under a Charger and make a bunch of custom parts they don't plan on selling.
© 2024 Moparts Forums