Moparts

Why no buzz here on this neat solution?

Posted By: jcc

Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 01/09/15 09:10 PM

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post8389666
Posted By: Uhcoog1

Re: Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 01/09/15 09:53 PM

I'm anxiously awaiting it's release. I called Holley in December for more information - the guy I spoke with didn't have much info.

I also tried to find out what the ARCA spec fuel pump is. The Ilmor efi 396 spec motor puts out 700+ hp. The guy at Ilmor gave me a specific contact at Holley, but I have yet to get him on the phone.

Things I want to know:
-what is the ARCA spec EFI pump
-will the hydramat cause any vacuum at the inlet of an EFI pump? (most efi pumps list 'gravity fed' as a requirement)

I need to make some fuel system changes. But I'm not changing anything until the hydramat comes out.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 01/09/15 10:44 PM

Not real sure it's a "neat" solution.

I can see it messing up sending units, kinda important on a street car. Waiting to see if and/or how it's addressed.

Waiting to see how "neat" the price is. I suspected it'll be really boffo.

Again, refer to my link in the other post you referenced.
Posted By: RylisPro

Re: Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 01/09/15 11:17 PM

That's a cool piece and glad that it will fit inside an ATL fuel cell
Posted By: goldduster318

Re: Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 01/10/15 02:26 AM

I'd be curious how much this costs. I think a lot of us would be adequately served by the Aeromotive Phantom system. Looking at the one of those I have here, I can't see how you'd have a fuel starvation problem so long as you had over a gallon of fuel in the tank (who would run their car hard with less than that anyway?). 340 lph should be enough for all of us as well.
Posted By: Dan@Hotchkis

Re: Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 01/10/15 02:32 AM

Quote:

who would run their car hard with less than that anyway?

<raises hand>

SCCA National Tour event. We got busted for weight at impound as well, buy less than what a gallon of gas weighs too

Re: Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 01/10/15 02:32 AM

Looks to me like it would fit a stock tank, if you had an opening to insert it, for the stock appearing crowd.

I just can't see the cost being outrageous, and if they do gouge, it will only stymie a nice product.

This will halt any of my fuel tank projects until its out on the market.

I would think this thing will work with EFI pumps in low lift, especially since the will never see any air.

Was this at PRI and did anybody put eyeballs on it?
Posted By: ntstlgl1970

Re: Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 01/10/15 02:39 AM

the site does say it's not compatible with methanol, but no mention of ethanol. no matter what, it's some pretty cool stuff. I bet they price it where the cost will be slightly cheaper than an in tank.

Re: Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 01/10/15 02:56 AM

My first guess would be methanol will be a problem as expected, but I really wonder if its a surface tension issue, which is what the design depends on, if I understand the concept correctly.

Re: Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 01/10/15 05:03 AM

Quote:

My first guess would be methanol will be a problem as expected, but I really wonder if its a surface tension issue, which is what the design depends on, if I understand the concept correctly.

A methanol compatible version is coming, if you read the flyer.

Methanol is very corrosive, that is probably the issue.

Re: Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 02/23/15 08:09 PM

Price is out, out there is stupid land too.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 02/23/15 09:00 PM

If it was HALF this price I would still be on the fence...
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/hydramat/parts/12-924

Re: Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 02/23/15 09:37 PM

I can get an EFI tank, pump and sender for my 65 Cuda for less.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/p...prod/prd479.htm
Posted By: Uhcoog1

Re: Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 02/23/15 10:28 PM

Quote:

I can get an EFI tank, pump and sender for my 65 Cuda for less.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/p...prod/prd479.htm

Your post is the first I've seen of this offering from Tanks. I just called Tanks, and they said late April at the earliest for the 70-76 duster tanks (others are coming sooner). They're stamped overseas, and they do have a front to back baffle (5" running full width), and a 4.3 quart tray under the pump (with holes to allow fuel to flow in).

Count me in. I'll be buying and installing one as soon as I can get my hands on it.

Re: Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 02/23/15 10:51 PM

I have been pondering my options in this regard since the 90's when I converted my 87 Diplomat to Holley Projection.

An unbaffled tank feeding EFI directly is a bad thing. I ended up with a small capacity surge tank fed by the mechanical pump with it feeding the EFI pump and the over flow going back to the main tank via the surge tank. Yes, the surge tank had an overflow that went back to the main tank. I did that to eliminate any air in the surge tank whatsoever. It worked, which is more than I can say about the Projection setup.
Posted By: John Brown

Re: Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 02/24/15 02:30 AM

If you ever had any experience behind the counter at a speed shop, you'd realize that nothing shown in magazine articles is in production or the pipeline or will be for at least a year from when the first article comes out. The manufacturers let the articles hit the newsstand to judge what interest they can expect. I always hated when customers wanted me to to call the factory to see if they could get that latest shiny new item.

Re: Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 02/24/15 03:37 AM

Oh I ain't spending $700 or a large fraction thereof for the solution. Regardless of if it's in stock or not.

I have a much cheaper solution, it's been posted a few times but one more time

http://autoperformanceengineering.com/html/pickups.html

Re: Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 02/24/15 04:17 AM

these are the same pickups used in the vaporworx (Rick's stainless) system discussed in other threads. neat stuff
Posted By: brads70

Re: Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 02/24/15 04:58 AM

Quote:

If it was HALF this price I would still be on the fence...
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/hydramat/parts/12-924

That's nuts! I'm shocked at that price! I hope ( not holding my breath) this is just a ARCA "tax" on a spec built part?
Posted By: BergmanAutoCraft

Re: Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 02/24/15 03:04 PM

Aeromotive has a tank sock that is brillian to efi pump retrofits. Its been out for at least a few months.
Posted By: dangina

Re: Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 02/24/15 07:10 PM

Quote:

Oh I ain't spending $700 or a large fraction thereof for the solution. Regardless of if it's in stock or not.

very cool!!! curious, do you replace this with the stock sock that's in you tank for your pump?
Posted By: 4speeds4me

Re: Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 02/24/15 08:45 PM

Quote:

Aeromotive has a tank sock that is brillian to efi pump retrofits. Its been out for at least a few months.

Link?

Re: Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 02/24/15 09:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

very cool!!! curious, do you replace this with the stock sock that's in you tank for your pump?

You'd remove the stock sock off the stock pickup tube and plumb these pickups to it. I used an external pump for my changeover, cause that's what Holley put in the kit.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 02/24/15 11:31 PM

The surge tank that RobbMC sells is a lot cheaper solution and should solve the same problem.

Re: Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 02/24/15 11:46 PM

Quote:

The surge tank that RobbMC sells is a lot cheaper solution and should solve the same problem.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I did with some scrap tubing and welding. Don't think it cost more than about 10% of what Robb wants for his fancy one.
Posted By: Black_Bee

Re: Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 02/25/15 01:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, that's pretty much what I did with some scrap tubing and welding. Don't think it cost more than about 10% of what Robb wants for his fancy one.

Including a fuel pump?

Re: Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 02/25/15 02:02 AM

Got two EFI threads going on this, lol. No, I used an inline pump back then.

Re: Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 08/29/15 03:14 AM

This is new? and kinda priced right.

http://fitechefi.com/default.asp.pg-GoEFISystemFuelCommandCenter

Re: Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 08/30/15 12:50 AM

reminds me of this from edelbrock - either is a workable solution

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/efi/fuel-sump-kits.shtml

Re: Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 08/30/15 01:17 AM

Surge tank

Attached picture 019.JPG
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 08/31/15 02:57 AM

Summit has a variety of them from 140-700, depending on size, configuration and # of fuel pickups.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 08/31/15 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By jcc

I did some research on surge tanks to use with the MSD Atomic I intended to use but when I read up on the EFI Tech system I decided to go with their whole system. Does what the MSD does for a lot less money.

Couldn't be happier.

Attached picture FI RHFH.JPG
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 08/31/15 11:51 PM

Originally Posted By 72Swinger
Surge tank

...those work exceptionally in off-road situations. Which make our cornering fuel concerns look like a joke. The Walbro remote pickups are also pretty stellar.

My plan is a GM 5gen Camaro/CTSV pump [internally regulated] with some remote pickups and internally baffling. I have no interest in spaghetti-fuel line plumbing. It'll be one line coming out of the tank and going to the engine, done.

Re: Why no buzz here on this neat solution? - 09/01/15 12:28 AM

If I run into problems I would get some of those corner pickups and add a scavenge pump to feed the surge tank.
© 2024 Moparts Forums