Moparts

Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options...

Posted By: MuuMuu101

Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 01/09/15 04:41 AM

Hey there, I was wondering what you guys were using for seats and steering wheels? Since I'm almost done with my handling mods, I feel like my bus-like steering wheel and super flat buckets with a standard lap belt aren't going to be enough to hold me in or keep me safe. What do you use or what do you recommend? Also note I'm 5'7" tall and wear a size 40-42 pants.

I've been looking at some Grant wheels as they have the adapter for mopar columns. i'm unsure about seat belts, although, it seems it's been asked here quite a bit before.

For seats I've been looking at Corbeau or Procar. I've sit in the Procar Rallye's and the standard Corbeau CR1 and although they seem to hold you in fine, they were a bit too narrow for me to be comfortable for anything longer than 15-30 minutes. I also noticed that Corbeau has an option for wide seats that sit a 40" waist size; however, I'm worried about the positioning of it and whether I'd have to remove my center console or if they'll rub the doors. I'd potentially like something with the two holes in the back just in case I ever want to cage the car and run a 4 (or more) point belt. Visually I have an issue as my current seats have white inserts knitted into them.

Any tips or advice?

Here's what I'm working with...

Attached picture 8390038-IMAG0668.jpg

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 01/09/15 04:43 AM

Seats... Altogether it looks nice.

Attached picture 8390040-IMAG0663.jpg
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 01/09/15 04:52 AM

SRT challenger seats are nice.

BTW how is the 273 running?
Posted By: ahy

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 01/09/15 05:00 AM

I run Scat Rally seats and matching brackets on a '70E (Summit). Good side bolsters and comfortable (for me) on long trips. 2,100 miles in 3 days no problem. As far as steering wheel, I run the original (big) rim blow. The one I like is the Flaming River re-pop rally wheel... but have not been willing to shell out $300+. The Grant re-pop is nice but larger diameter vs original and Flaming River re-pop.

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 01/09/15 05:04 AM

Quote:

SRT challenger seats are nice.

I agree. I sat in them for the first time at the 2013 LA Auto Show and they were by far the most comfortable seats I ever sat in. My only concern is if they will physically fit between the center of the car and the door.
Posted By: 71autoxr

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 01/09/15 06:27 AM

I run the original tuff wheel in both the challenger and the dart. Love the look, the size, and the feel. As far as seats, while the dart may not count towards the intention of your car, i had the later split bench redone, with custom foam that has bolsters on the side and bottom. It is extremely comfortable and original looking. The Challenger has stock buckets, but will be coming out for the same treatment as the darts seats.
Posted By: RylisPro

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 01/09/15 07:33 AM

I used to have a Corbeau FX1 Pro which is a decent seat. The Pro is just smaller version of the Corbeau FX1. The way you bolt the seat down really matters as well because I used to have adjustable sliders which were all floppy and move around a lot when compared to my Racetech seat that is bolted down on non-adjustable seat rails. I also run a Grant golf cart wheel and a G-force six point but will step up to Simpson when the cert expires
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 01/09/15 05:53 PM

This wheel
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310750551553?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
These belts.
http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/resebe.html
Posted By: Sneke_Eyez

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 01/09/15 06:03 PM

Steering wheel choice was a big deal for me in my DD 69 Satellite wagon.
I didn't enjoy the cracked original wheel, which I found too big in diameter and too small in rim diameter to be comfortable.

I found lots of nice wheels that I liked that were way too expensive ($200+), and lots that I liked that were affordable, but were not equipped with at least simulated leather wrap.
I have a three spoke foam grip Grant wheel that I like a lot in my 74 Dart, but the foam makes it feel cheap. It was a swap meet score for $25 and therefore it WAS cheap, so that makes it easier to stomach, but it wasn't right for my wagon.

I considered a Tuff wheel replica by Grant, but just couldn't decide if I liked the look of the Tuff wheel enough to have one, and there was that "me too!" feel to that option that I didn't like as much.

Then one day at Pep Boys I came upon a wheel I had definitely seen before, but hadn't considered, the Grant Elite GT (Model 742), which had a stitched leather wrap and a nice polished, but not too polished spoke design. With it being right in front of me, I could test the rim diameter and I was impressed. It has a nice girth and I could tell it would provide nice control when installed on the car.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/grt-742

Also, it was on sale for about $135, so I plopped down my money and immediately ran home and installed it.

I could not be happier with it, and I recommend it as an affordable Tuff wheel alternative for resto-mod and pro-touring style cars that feels like a more expensive wheel than it really is. (Note - I suspect that the leather is actually vinyl, but its a nice grade of vinyl and has the look and feel of a heavy leather.)

As for seats, I'm planning to use a set of 2004 Chrysler 300M heated leather seats that came out of my best friend's 300M when he changed to different seats. I don't know if you could fit them as easily into your Dart, but I've done some measurements and they'll fit right in to my wagon - and they're some of the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in in my life (and I've put almost 100k miles worth of driving into the various sets that I own in my LH cars).
Plus, they're available in junkyards lately for relatively cheap prices.
Only drawback for you is that they don't tilt forward and they don't have provisions for 4 point belts.

For seatbelts in my wagon I'll be installing some 3 point belts from wesco performance. I've seen their product in person when a friend bought some for a truck project he was completing and they're an affordable way to add 3 point safety to my car.

http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/seatbelts.html

Granted, they're not 4 point belts, but they're not for a full pro-touring car.

Good luck, hope my ramblings help.
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 01/09/15 10:08 PM

Seats are like shoes... sit in many before YOU decide what fits YOU best. Also, you'll pay for what you get in quality.

Personally, I suggest Corbuo GTS-II for a good comprimise of bolster, style and excellent comfort. And, I recommend adapting your factory floor glides by simply using a couple plates with spotted holes to attach the seats to the glides... that's what I did and was really easy! The plates can be ~1"-2" wide x ~1/8" thick.

For a steering wheel, remember that smaller diameters help quicken your steering reaction. If you have manual stering then smaller becomes harder to turn; but if you have power stering, a smaller diameter wheel is no problem (mine is 11.5" diameter... really helps with quick reaction!). Also.... thick grip is important, as well as a non-slippery grip.

Posted By: goldduster318

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 01/10/15 01:21 AM

I have the Procar Elite Lumbar seats and like them a lot. They might be a bit flatter than what you want, but they are comfy and look pretty nice. They are comparable to a seat in a new normal car.

Any of the procar seats have available bolt on brackets that go right into your floor in the stock holes. They also allow 3 seat heights as well. Kinda spendy but they drop right in.

I also have the all black 13" Grant steering wheel. It's a pretty nice feeling wheel with leather wrap. In my case, 14" may have allowed me to see the gauges a bit better, but I'm not going to change it. I know in some states, 13" is the smallest legal size for a steering wheel. If it was much smaller it would be incredibly difficult to steer the car at low speeds during an engine stall.

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 01/10/15 05:27 AM

Quote:

Seats are like shoes... sit in many before YOU decide what fits YOU best. Also, you'll pay for what you get in quality.

Personally, I suggest Corbuo GTS-II for a good comprimise of bolster, style and excellent comfort. And, I recommend adapting your factory floor glides by simply using a couple plates with spotted holes to attach the seats to the glides... that's what I did and was really easy! The plates can be ~1"-2" wide x ~1/8" thick.

I agree. That's why I tried sitting in a couple seats. The Corbeau GTS-II's won't fit me. Website says their only meant for a 36-38 sized person and I can tell by the tall side pads that I'm going to have an issue. Corbeau does sell seat tracks for the Dart based off their website.

Quote:

For a steering wheel, remember that smaller diameters help quicken your steering reaction. If you have manual stering then smaller becomes harder to turn; but if you have power stering, a smaller diameter wheel is no problem (mine is 11.5" diameter... really helps with quick reaction!). Also.... thick grip is important, as well as a non-slippery grip.

I'll be running power steering. I haven't decided which one, yet. That's the one thing I don't like about my steering wheel besides being too big, the lack of grip and the thinness of the wheel bother me.

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 01/10/15 05:34 AM

Quote:

I have the Procar Elite Lumbar seats and like them a lot. They might be a bit flatter than what you want, but they are comfy and look pretty nice. They are comparable to a seat in a new normal car.

Any of the procar seats have available bolt on brackets that go right into your floor in the stock holes. They also allow 3 seat heights as well. Kinda spendy but they drop right in.

I also have the all black 13" Grant steering wheel. It's a pretty nice feeling wheel with leather wrap. In my case, 14" may have allowed me to see the gauges a bit better, but I'm not going to change it. I know in some states, 13" is the smallest legal size for a steering wheel. If it was much smaller it would be incredibly difficult to steer the car at low speeds during an engine stall.

I've been slightly eyeing those seats for about a year or so now. They've always looked like they'd work with me and, if it's true, the lumbar support would sure help. The only reason why I've hesitated about those was my rear seats having the white inserts right in the middle of it. I'd have to remove them or get them reupholstered to make it look decent.

It seems like everyone agrees that a 13" Grant wheel should do the job.
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 01/10/15 05:47 AM

Wonder how the width of thoe Procars compare to mine ?

Did you ever sit in the Torana with the Procar/Scat Rallys ?

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 01/10/15 05:56 AM

Quote:

The Elite Lumbars are practically flat on the bottom. Not exactly desirable for handling but whatever. I may have sat in it 2 years ago when we used to go to the car cruises. About the same time I sat in my friend's Demon who has them and although it was fun cruising around, I don't think I would have enjoyed a long distance run. Next time I come over I'll try it out again.
Posted By: goldduster318

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 01/10/15 03:16 PM

Quote:

I've been slightly eyeing those seats for about a year or so now. They've always looked like they'd work with me and, if it's true, the lumbar support would sure help. The only reason why I've hesitated about those was my rear seats having the white inserts right in the middle of it. I'd have to remove them or get them reupholstered to make it look decent.

It seems like everyone agrees that a 13" Grant wheel should do the job.

You could always re-dye the white insert (or possibly the entire seat if it didn't match well) with the SEM Landau black color coat. I did almost my entire interior 12 years ago including the door panels, back seat, etc from green and it's still holding up well. Just need to use their prep solvent first.

Quote:

Here's the dimensions for the procar elite lumbars:
Posted By: brads70

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 01/10/15 04:38 PM

I used Hyundai Tiburon leather seats $35 each from my local wrecker. I bought two pairs with the thought of getting a pair recovered at some point to match the 70 stitching? I love how they fit and are low enough especially to fit an E-Body. No heavy electrical junk
( nothing to fail either!) lots of adjustment. When I made mounts I took the opportunity to move the seat back as I'm long legged. Much more comfortable now.... and much more supportive in corners!
http://s651.photobucket.com/user/B_Richmond/library/Tiburon%20seats?sort=3&page=1

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 01/10/15 06:14 PM

Quote:

You could always re-dye the white insert (or possibly the entire seat if it didn't match well) with the SEM Landau black color coat. I did almost my entire interior 12 years ago including the door panels, back seat, etc from green and it's still holding up well. Just need to use their prep solvent first.

All right. I would only need the rear seats done so it may not be too bad.

Quote:

Quote:

Here's the dimensions for the procar elite lumbars:

Rally for comparison:

Attached picture 8391429-sca-80-1000-51l_xl.jpg
Posted By: lilcuda

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 01/10/15 10:03 PM

Here's the Grant steering wheel in the Valiant. I don't have any good pictures of the Corbeau seats, only the side bolsters. I can post those if you're interested, or I can take a better pic of them.

Attached picture 8391647-9(2).jpg

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 01/10/15 10:17 PM

Quote:

I don't have any good pictures of the Corbeau seats, only the side bolsters. I can post those if you're interested, or I can take a better pic of them.

Either or would be fine.

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 01/11/15 02:08 AM

Corbeau seats in the Valiant.

Attached picture 8391853-IMG_0949.JPG

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 01/11/15 02:08 AM

Another angle.

Attached picture 8391856-IMG_0947.JPG

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 01/11/15 02:09 AM

Driver's side.

Attached picture 8391857-IMG_0946.JPG

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 04/09/15 11:53 PM

Well, this thread is open for discussion again. I just sent my car to a shop and one of the first things they want to tackle is interior and safety. They have a deal/sponsorship with MoMo and would really like my car to be dressed in all MoMo interior. Unfortunately, my butt is still too big for any of their seats so I'm not sure how that is going to workout unless I drop another 30 lbs. However, Corbeau seems to have seats that fit my pant size of 40/42; however, I've heard they wear with usage.

http://corbeau.com/lg1.html
Posted By: MileHighDart

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 04/10/15 12:31 AM

I have the same wheel that Sneke Eyes has.
But I found it hard to get used to the smaller diameter.

Original wheel was 16", and the Grant was 14", and just didn't feel right to me.

I have a buddy who does leather work, and I think I'm going to have him cover my original wheel with blue leather to match my interior. I'm going to cover the wheel with some dense 1/8" think foam before I have him do the leather work, to thicken up the feel of the skinny wheel.

On seats, I didn't go aftermarket. I used Scion TC seats that I got off craig's for $200, they were already black and blue so the fit nicely into my interior. Very comfortable and hold me in place nicely

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 04/10/15 12:38 AM

Originally Posted By MileHighDart
On seats, I didn't go aftermarket. I used Scion TC seats that I got off craig's for $200, they were already black and blue so the fit nicely into my interior. Very comfortable and hold me in place nicely

All of my cars have had smaller steering wheels than my Dart, so that's not an issue. It seems most people agree a 13-14" steering wheel is good. I have a 2011 Scion tC so my seats are a little bigger than yours and I feel comfortable. I was also thinking about seats from a Challenger or Charger.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 04/10/15 12:47 AM

See what he local pull a part has you might get a deal!
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 04/10/15 05:56 PM

I have Corbeau's and they are Junk, had a second set of covers in less than 6 months, the stitching wore out and they got sun faded in a year. I would use them to make new covers out of good material though. Tim
Posted By: Lefty

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 04/10/15 09:21 PM

I've used this Momo om a couple of builds. Very nice feel when driving and goes well with your board name. penguinhat

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 04/11/15 12:04 AM

Im gonna get something in 350mm. Grabbed a 13.5" Grant the other day and that to small for my taste.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 04/11/15 02:42 AM

I used Scat Rally seats on mine. Good side support and comfortable though not a full race seat. The appearance works well in a muscle MOPAR, brackets are available to fit almost anything and reasonable cost (Summit). In the post above you mentioned Challenger or Charger seats... assume you mean the new versions. Original seats in my '70 Challenger were nothing to write home about.

Current (OE) wheel is about 15" and plan to change to a 14" rally wheel whenever I decide to spend the money on the kinda expensive version I like.

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 04/11/15 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By ahy
I used Scat Rally seats on mine. Good side support and comfortable though not a full race seat.

He doesn't fit well in them... (He sat in my Torana with them)
Posted By: BergmanAutoCraft

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 04/11/15 03:00 AM

I made a leather wrapped thick wheel out of the tuff wheel look alike from Grant. For me its great, but was too expensive to make as a product. In the Dart I run old Flofit seats I bought new. Currently, I would purchase anything but a Recaro or a Sparco. The other aftermarket seats like Corbeau have a very flimsy frame. An OE Recaro seat may be a better choice.

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 04/11/15 03:03 AM

The problem with most race seats is that they're not setup for wide people. I wear a 40/42 pant size and it seems like Corbeau is the only ones who makes decent seats for them. The good things about Corbeau that I've found out is that they hold you well and are comfortable. The bad, they wear quick (4-5 years was the average that mostly came up) and their brackets are junk.

The problem I didn't think about with an OEM seat is that I can't really have more than a 3-point seat belt.

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 04/11/15 03:56 AM

Originally Posted By MuuMuu101
The problem with most race seats is that they're not setup for wide people.

I agree. I've had good luck using modern bucket seats with good bolsters from a modern performance car and have then recovered to match the interior.

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 04/11/15 04:04 AM

This is kinda cool. I see the Procar Rallys are now available naked so you can trim then to match your interior.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sca-80-1000-99r/overview/

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 04/11/15 06:33 AM

Originally Posted By Lefty
The problem with most race seats is that they're not setup for wide people.

I agree. I've had good luck using modern bucket seats with good bolsters from a modern performance car and have then recovered to match the interior.

He said, Momo could make me a custom seat, but he didn't seem too enthused about that idea. He was going to try to get Momo to sponsor my interior; however, I'm turning it down because it will cost me more money and for them to make a custom seat (even with a huge discount) and a sticker on my car would look too busy with the trim. Maybe when I get to paint and body I'll revamp the interior again I'll think about a sponsorship.

I've helped make a custom carbon fiber seat in Baja before and it is not a fun job.
Posted By: 4speeds4me

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 04/11/15 08:13 AM

Originally Posted By 72Swinger
Im gonna get something in 350mm. Grabbed a 13.5" Grant the other day and that to small for my taste.

Isn't 350mm basically 14"?

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 04/11/15 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By 4speeds4me

Isn't 350mm basically 14"?

13.77"
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 04/11/15 08:26 PM

I guess I am old school, but I hate today's fat steering wheels, I like the thin ones.
Posted By: dangina

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 04/13/15 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By Supercuda
I guess I am old school, but I hate today's fat steering wheels, I like the thin ones.

with my big mits i hate the thin ones smile

no one makes a aftermarket hub for bbody to run momo wheels - so I bought a cuda aftermarket hub, had it milled down at a machine shop and now I run a momo proto steering wheel

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 04/13/15 11:13 PM

I've used this Momo om a couple of builds. Very nice feel when driving and goes well with your board name. penguinhat

Oh man, how did you get it to fit?
That's the wheel I wanted to use in my Satellite, but between it being just over twice what I wanted to spend and not being able to determine if I could get a mounting kit for it for my Satellite, I gave up.

I found mounts for everything from Chebbies to Ferraris, but nothing for B-Body Mopar.

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 04/14/15 03:18 AM

So, I ended up pulling the trigger with a wide Corbeau LG1 in black Microsuede and a Momo Mod.07 steering wheel. The car will be getting a 5-point belt, but I'm unsure of what brand at the moment. The Dart is also getting an 8-point cage with a swing-out door.
Posted By: 67autocross

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 04/14/15 03:32 AM

Are you mounting the wheel on the stock column? Do they have a kit?

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 04/14/15 03:38 AM

So, I ended up pulling the trigger with a wide Corbeau LG1 in black Microsuede and a Momo Mod.07 steering wheel. The car will be getting a 5-point belt, but I'm unsure of what brand at the moment. The Dart is also getting an 8-point cage with a swing-out door.

Going all out it sounds like !

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 04/14/15 03:44 AM

Originally Posted By 67autocross
Are you mounting the wheel on the stock column? Do they have a kit?

That's up in the air right now. My column was a little messed up due to the last time I rebuilt it. I forgot to install something or installed it correctly and it caused radial play within the column and my turn signal lever to travel anywhere between 7 and 11 o'clock. If they can salvage my column, I believe they're going to try to make it removable. If not, they may try installing a tilt column.

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 04/14/15 03:46 AM

Originally Posted By OzHemi

Definitely... Those seats are the only one that fit, the shop gets a discount on Momo products, and the cage is because I don't want to get seriously injured or die. Let's face it, these old cars are tin cans. If I crash at a high speed, or even on the streets, I'd like to be able to walk away from it.

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 04/14/15 03:46 AM

Im going to adapt a 6 bolt adapter to a Grant adapter. They make 3 bolt to 6 bolt adapters. Mine is only 1/2" thick too, going with a 2.5-3" deep wheel.

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 04/14/15 04:37 AM

Definitely... Those seats are the only one that fit, the shop gets a discount on Momo products, and the cage is because I don't want to get seriously injured or die. Let's face it, these old cars are tin cans. If I crash at a high speed, or even on the streets, I'd like to be able to walk away from it.

I am going to feel left behind in the Torana laugh2

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 04/14/15 04:58 AM

I am going to feel left behind in the Torana laugh2

No no no... You still have the superior LS engine.

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 04/14/15 05:47 PM

Im going to adapt a 6 bolt adapter to a Grant adapter. They make 3 bolt to 6 bolt adapters. Mine is only 1/2" thick too, going with a 2.5-3" deep wheel.

Post some pictures when you do it. I want a Momo wheel in the worst way.

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 04/14/15 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By Sneke_Eyez

Oh man, how did you get it to fit?
That's the wheel I wanted to use in my Satellite, but between it being just over twice what I wanted to spend and not being able to determine if I could get a mounting kit for it for my Satellite, I gave up.

I found mounts for everything from Chebbies to Ferraris, but nothing for B-Body Mopar.

I had to combine a Momo adaptor and a Grant adapter. It's been a few years, so I don't have the part numbers - Sorry... whiney

As I recall, the Grant adapts the Mopar column, then from the Grant to the Momo steering wheel adaptor to the Momo wheel. wrench
Posted By: 340duster340

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 08/31/15 04:22 AM

any suggestions for aftermarket seats that have a vintage look to them?

i am building my 66 dart and would like it to look period-esque.

the low back kirkey's i kind of like, but want to see what other folks are running,

OP - what did you settle on here,

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 08/31/15 04:51 AM

Originally Posted By 340duster340
any suggestions for aftermarket seats that have a vintage look to them?

i am building my 66 dart and would like it to look period-esque.

the low back kirkey's i kind of like, but want to see what other folks are running,

OP - what did you settle on here,

I got these because they're the only race seats that are wide enough for my hips and my shoulders that would accommodate a 5-point belt.

http://corbeau.com/reclining-seats/lg1.html

If you want a kind of period-ish low back look, you may want to try these.

http://procarbyscat.com/seats/Rally-Lowback

But they have other seats.

http://procarbyscat.com/Seats

They even sell adapters for our old mopars. Plus, you can get them from Summit.
Posted By: Hooligan

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 08/31/15 03:32 PM

I just ordered a 3-point conversion kit for my '72 Satellite made by seatbeltsolutions.com. The kit for just the 2 front seats costs roughly $300, but I found them on Amazon for $144. Reason being it is a universal kit instead of direct fit. I think they can build custom units if you have special needs. They also have colors galore!

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 08/31/15 08:45 PM

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 09/01/15 08:45 PM

Welp, my 3-point conversions from Seatbelt Solutions arrived today, and they are excellent! BTW... made in the USA! Mine have the chrome hinge release instead of the button, and they look great! The only thing that is different from the OEM replacements is... the belts are 7 panel webbing instead of 4, like the factory belts.
And the slider loop where the shoulder attachment bolt is located, does not drop down about 7"-8''. This causes the shoulder strap to ride up on my neck, so I will fabricate a drop down segment myself. It's well worth saving a 160 bucks!

Additionally, I don't see any 5-point harnesses on their website.

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 09/01/15 11:14 PM

Originally Posted By sash7
Welp, my 3-point conversions from Seatbelt Solutions arrived today, and they are excellent! BTW... made in the USA! Mine have the chrome hinge release instead of the button, and they look great! The only thing that is different from the OEM replacements is... the belts are 7 panel webbing instead of 4, like the factory belts.
And the slider loop where the shoulder attachment bolt is located, does not drop down about 7"-8''. This causes the shoulder strap to ride up on my neck, so I will fabricate a drop down segment myself. It's well worth saving a 160 bucks!

Additionally, I don't see any 5-point harnesses on their website.

I'd like to see some pictures!

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 09/02/15 12:33 AM

These are made in the usa too:
http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/3poresebewil.html

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 09/02/15 01:47 AM

I'd like to know how to post pictures on Moparts, but I am dumb-founded. So sorry, but I could draw you a picture and send it to you by USPS. Ha-ha-ha!

Mine looks just like the one in "72Swinger's" reply, but mine has the retro style chrome release levers, and minus the 8" sash guide. Do a search for "3-point conversion seat belts" on Amazon.com" and you'll see the ones that I bought.
Posted By: 67autocross

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 09/02/15 01:58 AM

\Could you post a link to the ones you bought? I ordered some from XV a few months ago and they never showed up.
Posted By: bill440rt

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 09/02/15 03:00 AM

I installed a set of Corbeau GTS II's in my Charger. Found a "like new" set on Craigslist, then had them recovered in white vinyl to match the stock upholstery pattern.
MUCH better than the stock buckets which had zero support. Also used Corbeau's seat tracks, which I had to lower a bit. Seems they have since redesigned them to sit lower. It appeared I had the taller variety, after chopping an inch out of them they fit much better.

Also have a Grant wheel, just added a Mopar horn button. Nice leather grip. (Pic taken before seat swap.)

Attached picture 100_5689.JPG
Attached picture DSC_6139 copy.jpg
Posted By: pro451bee

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 09/02/15 03:16 AM

That looks just awesome Bill .Beautiful interior work.
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 09/02/15 05:32 PM

very nice and cooooll!
Posted By: Darius

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 09/03/15 01:29 PM

Great looking interior Bill.
I have the Corbeau seats in my GTX. One thing to consider , that I obviously did not, is if you are going to use retractable belts, the stock mounting point on the rocker panel side will need to be moved back because the lever to recline is right on top of the belt re-tractor. I had to swap the driver/passenger seats so that adjustment lever is now on the center console side. Somewhat inconvenient but I am not into and out of the back seat so much that it is a big hassle.
Posted By: bill440rt

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 09/04/15 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By Darius
Great looking interior Bill.
I have the Corbeau seats in my GTX. One thing to consider , that I obviously did not, is if you are going to use retractable belts, the stock mounting point on the rocker panel side will need to be moved back because the lever to recline is right on top of the belt re-tractor. I had to swap the driver/passenger seats so that adjustment lever is now on the center console side. Somewhat inconvenient but I am not into and out of the back seat so much that it is a big hassle.

Hey, thanks!
Really, you had a problem with the retractors? That's interesting.
Do you have a pic of how yours was? I didn't run into a problem with the adjustment lever on mine.
Here's another shot of mine from a different angle. It's close, but once buckled there wasn't an issue.

Attached picture 100_5690.JPG
Posted By: Darius

Re: Seats, Steering Wheel, and Seat Belt Options... - 09/05/15 01:57 PM

I will take a pic. I think the difference appears to be I have the 3 point shoulder belt set up and the retractor spool mounts right along side of the adjustment lever on the seat. Just in front of the fire ext in your pic.
Those seats sure are comfortable though!
© 2024 Moparts Forums