Moparts

Can Someone Explain These "Geometry Corrected"?

Posted By: 4speeds4me

Can Someone Explain These "Geometry Corrected"? - 01/08/15 08:30 AM

http://www.hotchkis.net/mopar_b_body_geometry_corrected_sport_leaf_springs.html

What is corrected/changed? Decent piece? Wasn't going to get too twisted on the rear of the Charger, but found a good deal on a set.

Thanks!
Posted By: VincentVega

Re: Can Someone Explain These "Geometry Corrected"? - 01/08/15 04:45 PM

I'm sure if you called or emailed them, they'd tell you.

From what I remember, they shorten the spring length between the front mount and the axle, I think the forward bracket is extended for this purpose. They may even angle them inboard or outboard a bit. They are doing whatever they feel "improves" the stock suspension.

Bear in mind that you should always modernize suspension at both ends at the same time or you'll wind up with something that can be unpredictable and unsafe. Personally, I think the factory geometry is fine.

I think the best thing you can do for a factory mopar by far is get a lot of caster on the front wheels, this is usually achieved by aftermarket control arms or running those moog corrector upper bushings in reverse. That will let you get a good result from radial tires. Hotchkis (and many others) have parts specifically for that, and that's what I truly consider "geometry" correcting.

That page says polyurethane, so if you're one of those people that is easily annoyed by squeaks and peeps while you're driving, factor that in.
Posted By: Dan@Hotchkis

Re: Can Someone Explain These "Geometry Corrected"? - 01/08/15 04:56 PM

Quote:

http://www.hotchkis.net/mopar_b_body_geometry_corrected_sport_leaf_springs.html

What is corrected/changed? Decent piece? Wasn't going to get too twisted on the rear of the Charger, but found a good deal on a set.

Thanks!

Most of the change comes from the front hanger which drops the car by raising the pick up point. This allows us to fun a flat spring pack with the eyes inline with the spring. Our springs are flat to reduce roll steer and transmit the forces generated in line with the spring. We also have added half-length springs to the pack to reduce wrap and wheel hop. They are a fantastic solution and about as optimized as you can get a leaf spring setup.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Can Someone Explain These "Geometry Corrected"? - 01/08/15 05:24 PM

Quote:

This allows us to fun a flat spring pack with the eyes inline with the spring.

This is a berlin eye as compared to the stock upturned eye. Only drawback to a berlin eye is that the main leaf must be made from very good steel as the 2nd leaf cannot be brought up under the eye to support the main leaf with this arrangement. I'm sure Hotchkis was very particular about their spring provider to achieve this.

Re: Can Someone Explain These "Geometry Corrected"? - 01/08/15 06:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

This allows us to fun a flat spring pack with the eyes inline with the spring.

This is a berlin eye as compared to the stock upturned eye. Only drawback to a berlin eye is that the main leaf must be made from very good steel as the 2nd leaf cannot be brought up under the eye to support the main leaf with this arrangement. I'm sure Hotchkis was very particular about their spring provider to achieve this.

Exactly. We've used the same spring manufacturer for a long time now and they are the best in the business as far as we are concerned. It adds to the cost, but makes for happy customers and a bullet-proof product.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Can Someone Explain These "Geometry Corrected"? - 01/08/15 06:25 PM

Well this is one of the first things I learned today, a "berlin eye"
Posted By: Secret Chimp

Re: Can Someone Explain These "Geometry Corrected"? - 01/09/15 09:08 PM

If I mount those springs and park my car to the north, are the east and west sides of my axle going to start having problems?
Posted By: jcc

Re: Can Someone Explain These "Geometry Corrected"? - 01/09/15 09:13 PM

Not if you are looking for a vacation.

Re: Can Someone Explain These "Geometry Corrected"? - 01/09/15 10:02 PM

Quote:

If I mount those springs and park my car to the north, are the east and west sides of my axle going to start having problems?

We suggest you don't build a wall. Just let the two sides work it out.

Re: Can Someone Explain These "Geometry Corrected"? - 01/10/15 12:14 AM

Quote:

When I saw your username, I understood the confusion. They are "geometry" corrected, not "geography" corrected!

Re: Can Someone Explain These "Geometry Corrected"? - 01/16/15 04:35 AM

Dan@Hotchkis- Can these be used with Caltracs if need be?

Re: Can Someone Explain These "Geometry Corrected"? - 01/16/15 04:58 AM

You may be able to but I wouldn't recommend it. They would completely negate the effects of the design.

Re: Can Someone Explain These "Geometry Corrected"? - 01/16/15 06:06 AM

So, they would be acceptable on their own launching at the strip?
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Can Someone Explain These "Geometry Corrected"? - 01/16/15 08:17 AM

Just run the Caltracs at the strip then remove the link bar from them for everything else.
Posted By: Grnfsh

Re: Can Someone Explain These "Geometry Corrected"? - 01/16/15 07:10 PM

Quote:

HA!! Took me a second on that one
© 2024 Moparts Forums