Moparts

TTI's for Borgeson Box

Posted By: Consulier

TTI's for Borgeson Box - 12/12/14 10:43 PM

I broke down and got a set of the updated TTI's to clear a Borgeson Box. Figured my 2" hit pretty much everything, so maybe the updated design would help.

This is how they look straight out of the box...

So, instead of being dented after you get them, they just do it for you now?

Is this really what they call a fix? Seems a little strange that this is the solution.
Posted By: Uhcoog1

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 12/12/14 10:57 PM

Lol

Did the 2" not have the denting to clear the TB's? They have to be there to clear the TB's on my car.

That's exactly how my second set came. The first set didn't have the middle dent- I had to add it.

Anyway, I don't see those dents as a restriction- or at least not one that matters.

Have you had a chance to test fit them yet?

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 12/12/14 11:12 PM

2" came without "customizing"...

I should have put my R5 in with custom headers and been done with it.

If I was test fitting them, I probably would not be so bitter about all this. But, when you are paying somebody else to find out that the stuff the experts made is crap... it gets old real fast. I'll have more details next week on fitment.

Luckily mounts were made to their exact K member placement specs. So, if they don't fit, I swear I'm getting on a plane to CA.
Posted By: brads70

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 12/13/14 12:07 AM

send it back.... it got damaged in shipping!
Wow that's pretty bad! I'd be pissed! I'd expect more from TTI..... just sayin! We pay what? 3x what a Chevy owner would pay for parts and get that crap?
Posted By: RylisPro

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 12/13/14 01:24 AM

Yeah that's why I'm going to use Schumacher mounts instead of TTI mounts
Seeing that crap, I am half tempted to send my car to Doug Thorley's in SoCal to get a set of headers fabbed up for Gen 3 swaps
or get a custom set made, whatever is cheaper
Posted By: AlexP

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 12/13/14 01:45 AM

My tti's had to be clearanced for the 1.22" bars.

If you don't have to take a hammer to it, it's not hot rodding.

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 12/13/14 02:24 AM

Seriously, is the way those headers are routed the most clear path? As in there is absolutely no clearance for the tubes to go up, down, left, right and necessitate being dented?

I find it hard to believe even in an A body?
I'm sure it would not be as bad in B/E bodies, but damn
for the money you would expect they would get it right.
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 12/13/14 02:26 AM

For the amount of money those tti-tubes always seem to cost they could at least provide a personal inscripted 2 lbs hammer to go with the header purchase...

Posted By: Dan@Hotchkis

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 12/13/14 03:37 AM

I was under a car yesterday and saw a much better way to route the pipes(TTI's on it now), and then I realized something... I think they design their tubes to work with the factory Z bar on most applications. It leaves a lot of unused real estate on the hydraulic clutch / auto cars. I wonder how much better the stuff would fit if they just made it to fit auto/hydraulic clutch cars?
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 12/13/14 07:48 PM

They have room for the Magnum starter too. I'm gonna use an 05 ram 2500 5.7/5spd starter which also makes a bunch more room.
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 12/14/14 02:57 AM

72Swing..do you have some pics of the two starters side by side? Would like to see the size difference.

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 12/14/14 04:20 AM

Quote:

72Swing..do you have some pics of the two starters side by side? Would like to see the size difference.

As a matter of fact I do....

I don't take credit for this little gem, I learned it on FABO, but I think Wade Uchoog is using one. I have to relocate my factory proportioning valve location to clear the #3 or #5 tube too FYI.

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 12/14/14 04:48 AM

Good starter. Fits better than the adjustable one TTI used to recommend. Slides in and out easily.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-56029274aa

I can't take credit for the find- I learned of it on FABO as well.
Posted By: 68cuda440

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 12/14/14 04:49 AM

Quote:

I don't take credit for this little gem, I learned it on FABO, but I think Wade Uchoog is using one.

Does this little gem fit a 440? And will it spin one with 11.25:1 CR?

-Michael
Posted By: Mattax

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 12/14/14 05:02 AM

re: TTI routing
At least on the a-bodies, TTI has a modified Z bar (or you have the option of doing it yourself).

re: custom headers
Performance welding if your on the west coast is worth a look and maybe a call. The website is Perfweld IIRC. Mark is no stranger to mopars as you can see on his website. Might even be have some experience with those big primaries. Stainless so less heat transfer and less rust. Price range is what you'ld expect for custom stainless.

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 12/14/14 05:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't take credit for this little gem, I learned it on FABO, but I think Wade Uchoog is using one.

-Michael

Well the Mopar mini starter it is replacing was on my BB if that tells you anything lol.

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 12/14/14 05:17 AM

Can you mount that on the driver side and use a 10.5" 130 tooth flywheel?

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 12/14/14 05:27 AM

Trucks are driver side, and yes that is what I and Wade are using for flywheel.
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 12/14/14 04:45 PM

That is quite a big difference in size! Now does a starter care about how many teeth are on a flywheel? I have a 143 tooth flywheel for the RR for my 440.

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 12/14/14 05:04 PM

TTI says to use that starter with a 143t flywheel
that's why I asked my question

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 12/14/14 05:27 PM

Only the bellhousing cares about tooth count. Starter cares only that its bolts line up.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 12/15/14 09:29 AM

From what I can tell, the size, pitch and spacing of the flywheel teeth are the same whether it is on the Torque Converter of a 904 or 727, OR a manual from a slant six 9" clutch up to the truck 11" version. The mounting bolts and centering recess in the bellhousing determine where the starter fits. In theory, any starter that fits any slant six should fit almost any other traditional Mopar slanty, V6 or V8.

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 12/17/14 10:10 PM

Just sent the RMA request to Mancini to get these awesome headers sent back to TTI.

They didn't fit... didn't even clear the mini truck starter.

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 12/17/14 11:39 PM

Wtf Wesley? They didn't even clear that Kubota garden tractor starter I showed above?

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 12/18/14 12:19 AM

Quote:

Wtf Wesley? They didn't even clear that Kubota garden tractor starter I showed above?

If by Kubota you mean the 5.7 Ram Manual Trans starter recommended on TTI's page, than yes.

It is interesting that these actually hit the passenger side frame rail and they also hit the bellhousing on the passenger side. I'll give them a pass on the bell since it's a Quicktime, but the frame rail is pretty much a WTF. Even with the factory customizing they were no where close to clearing the Torsion Bars.

At this point I'm going to run the 2" and let them clearance themselves if necessary. Some point down the road I will look at it again, but I'm done spending money on this... again.

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 12/18/14 12:44 AM

I'm pulling for ya, I think I'm gonna definitely assemble my engine and trans and K member on the garage floor this go around.

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 01/31/15 02:41 AM

I had to buy a set of TTI headers just now and for those that are going the same route, I dealt with the guys at http://www.chicagoconnection.us/index.php?main_page=contact_us&zenid=and6sk2r8uj96g54g40cgen9c7
They are authorized distributors and had the most competitive shipping price with no tax if you are in California
Posted By: dangina

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 02/02/15 02:34 AM

^bought mine from these guys, best price I found a year back

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 02/02/15 03:38 AM

Mine came from Modern Muscle on black Friday 2013. FREE shipping.

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 02/02/15 03:39 PM

I bought the TTI's and Borgeson box with adapters from Bergman Auto Craft. Figured if I had trouble with fit I'd have someone go to bat for me.

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 02/07/15 04:50 AM

I got my headers in and here are some pics if anyone is thinking of going the TTI route.

I got the 6.1 Hemi swap into a B/E body with torsion bars un-coated part number TT61HC-C0 these are 1-3/4" tubes

Worth $642.00 dollars? You decide...

I would say these headers are good from far but far from great

I would have rather they not ground down the welds.

Passenger side collector looks like crap

Driver side collector not too bad

As long as the headers seal they shouldn't be too bad and with a black ceramic coat they should perform ok

I feel that quality wise they are a little below the quality of my Doug's D453 headers but I was able to get those for about $500 bucks

Oh well, I guess you get what you pay for...
Posted By: 4speeds4me

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 02/07/15 05:09 AM

Got my Doug's D4477R's today- $345USD. They may be only 1 5/8" tubes, but IMHO more quality looking than those TTI's. The smaller tube isn't going to hurt at my intended performance level. Besides, after reading the "Slick-Built Small Block" article in the April issue of Mopar Muscle, I've come to the conclusion that the less than 1% improvement they saw on that stroker (which would never be felt in the seat-of-the-pants) I'm a-gonna be happy with my buy...

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 02/07/15 05:18 AM

My other complaint about the TTI'S is why put the o2 bungs on the outside of the collectors where rocks from the front tires can kill them?

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 02/07/15 05:21 AM

One of the reasons why got uncoated headers.
I'm going to have those plugged and weld o2 bungs in the number 1 and 8 tubes
Posted By: 4speeds4me

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 02/07/15 06:36 AM

Yeah, the Doug's are on the outside too!

Attached picture 8421699-image.jpg

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 02/17/15 01:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

-Michael

Well the Mopar mini starter it is replacing was on my BB if that tells you anything lol.

OK - I Guinea pigged today... this starter DOES NOT fit a 440. Definitely not one with a Quicktime Bellhousing. Starter is going back to the parts house now... either sticking with the stock Dakota mini starter with about 1/8" clearance between the starter lug and the block, or going to the RobbMC unit in all its clockable glory.
Posted By: BergmanAutoCraft

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 02/17/15 02:43 AM

The Rob MC piece is nice but pricey. If it lasts forever then its worth it.

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 02/17/15 02:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

-Michael

OK - I Guinea pigged today... this starter DOES NOT fit a 440. Definitely not one with a Quicktime Bellhousing. Starter is going back to the parts house now... either sticking with the stock Dakota mini starter with about 1/8" clearance between the starter lug and the block, or going to the RobbMC unit in all its clockable glory.

My bad Mike, I shouldn't have gotten so excited about it without further investigation.
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 02/17/15 04:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

-Michael

Where is the interference? I bought one to go on my low deck, first thing I noticed was that one of the mounting holes is tapped. I was holding off on drilling it out, so I could return it. Right now I have to drop the K member and pull the master to get the header out. Then I'm dropping my pants for a set of TTI's

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 02/17/15 04:53 AM

Quote:

Where is the interference? I bought one to go on my low deck, first thing I noticed was that one of the mounting holes is tapped.

Don't drill!!! The solenoid clocking puts the solenoid into the block. Just to make sure we are on the same page here, I am referring to the starter that fits a 2005+ Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5 speed transmission shown about 28 posts back.

http://s626.photobucket.com/user/bdhmbre/media/IMAG0323_zpsgj3irgs0.jpg.html

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 02/17/15 04:57 AM

Quote:

My bad Mike, I shouldn't have gotten so excited about it without further investigation.

No worries, I know the guy at the parts counter and told him it was a long shot. I already returned it for full credit.

I do admit I was drooling when I saw how small it was...

If you look at your picture comparing the Denso to this starter and look at this picture of a "1998 Dodge Dakota" starter on my engine you will understand why it does not work.

Attached picture 8431909-DSC06161.jpg
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: TTI's for Borgeson Box - 02/18/15 02:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

No worries, I know the guy at the parts counter and told him it was a long shot. I already returned it for full credit.

I do admit I was drooling when I saw how small it was...

If you look at your picture comparing the Denso to this starter and look at this picture of a "1998 Dodge Dakota" starter on my engine you will understand why it does not work.

Bummer I can send it back to Summit. I'll just rebuild my mini starter.
© 2024 Moparts Forums