Moparts

Hankook Ventus 101 Tires?

Posted By: SCATPK

Hankook Ventus 101 Tires? - 12/09/14 05:12 AM

Anyone running these tires as I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a set for my gtx. My current tires are BFG 305/50/15 on the rears on 15x10 wheels that are 15+ years old and a bit hard but no cracks or weird wear. And on the front running BFG 265/50/15 on 15x8 wheels that are a 12+ years old and a bit scrubbed from my outing at the Spring Fling Speed Fest/ Track day. These Hankooks come in 295/50/15 and 265/50/15 and will replace the original combo pretty closely. I have to imagine that I would notice a bit of improvement on the highway with new fresh rubber. Any thoughts on these tires are welcome. I have also been quoted a price of $611.00 installed and balanced and that does not seem to be to bad of a price.

Re: Hankook Ventus 101 Tires? - 12/09/14 06:31 AM

I have also thought of a set of Nittos for the car and could then go with a 325/50/15 for the rears, they fit well. My main use for this car is the local streets and highways so dead stop traction is not my concern. Nitto does not have a 265/50 but they do have a 275/50 but in drag radial only, any issue with running one up front? Wet weather traction is also not a concern as its not wet weather machine, but if caught don't drive like an idiot is the rule.

Re: Hankook Ventus 101 Tires? - 12/10/14 03:51 AM

Any input from you handling guys with running say Nitto drag radials on all 4 corners? I do have sway bars front and rear [hotchkis] billstein shocks, oversized tie and strut rods as well as welded and plated lower control arms, and a couple of other things such a stage 3 box from firm feel. I like the fat tire look and trying to keep the same look as the original set of tires picked out long ago.
Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: Hankook Ventus 101 Tires? - 12/10/14 06:15 AM

It's hard to say. I'd say choose the option with the stiffest sidewall as tires for 15" wheels aren't meant for handling. Just go out there and have fun and who cares about which tire performs best.

Re: Hankook Ventus 101 Tires? - 12/10/14 07:15 AM

Quote:

It's hard to say. I'd say choose the option with the stiffest sidewall as tires for 15" wheels aren't meant for handling. Just go out there and have fun and who cares about which tire performs best.

Very True! No one normally pushes the performance or limits of most of the things available to our old car technology. In the end it will come down to what fits correctly, looks good, and gives me decent handling on some of our very nice back roads in my area. I drive pretty mellow but would be lying if I said I have not pushed my old bfgs in the twistys, and having fun with the car.
Posted By: Uhcoog1

Re: Hankook Ventus 101 Tires? - 12/10/14 07:29 AM

I vote no for the h101. That's a 400 tw.

I've always wanted to know what Nitto drag radials all around would do. I'd love to hear a report if you decide to go that way.

Re: Hankook Ventus 101 Tires? - 12/10/14 07:54 AM

Quote:

I vote no for the h101. That's a 400 tw.

I've always wanted to know what Nitto drag radials all around would do. I'd love to hear a report if you decide to go that way.

I think the Nittos all around will work just fine. They are probably the closest thing available to a real performance tire in 15" that fit my needs. I have also heard that the sidewalls are a bit stiff and that is a good thing. What I need to see is a tire up close and personal and see what it looks like with the reduced tread.
Posted By: Dan@Hotchkis

Re: Hankook Ventus 101 Tires? - 12/10/14 04:05 PM

We had a guy show up to a road course event with drag radials back in 2010. He was a drag racing guy and wanted to give the road course stuff a go with a few extra rears he had. He didn't do too well and had massive rubbing problems. When he tried to air down for more traction, it just got worse, so he had to run massive psi to keep the tire under control. He came back for the next event on NT05's and was much happier. Drag Radials aren't designed to handle the lateral load of a 3250+lb vehicle pushing .85+g's in a turn.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Hankook Ventus 101 Tires? - 12/10/14 06:06 PM

The Ventus 101 tread design looks similar to Cooper Cobras and MT STs. Wonder how it is under the skin?

Big issue with 15" street tires is they are all built with 2 ply polyester sidewalls so combined with their sidewall height, you get a lot of flex. The old Desert Dog and Mickey Thompson bias ply "I" tires were nice because they had 4 ply sidewalls that held up to cornering loads very well. But, these are discontinued units and can't be found anywhere.

The MT SR does have a decent range of 15" sizes, and is a fairly recent carcass design so it has some advantage over older stuff out there. They do not have a treadwear rating molded into the sidewall and MT is claiming 12-15k for mileage, so they are relatively soft. You might look at them.
Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: Hankook Ventus 101 Tires? - 12/10/14 06:32 PM

Quote:

We had a guy show up to a road course event with drag radials back in 2010. He was a drag racing guy and wanted to give the road course stuff a go with a few extra rears he had. He didn't do too well and had massive rubbing problems. When he tried to air down for more traction, it just got worse, so he had to run massive psi to keep the tire under control. He came back for the next event on NT05's and was much happier. Drag Radials aren't designed to handle the lateral load of a 3250+lb vehicle pushing .85+g's in a turn.

Was that 67Charger (he's got a red, '67 Charger with a big block in it)? I think after that even he swapped over from drag racing to Silver State.
Posted By: Dan@Hotchkis

Re: Hankook Ventus 101 Tires? - 12/10/14 06:36 PM

Quote:

Was that 67Charger (he's got a red, '67 Charger with a big block in it)? I think after that even he swapped over from drag racing to Silver State.

Nope. It was a 71 Mustang with an 800hp big block. American Street Car Series event.

Re: Hankook Ventus 101 Tires? - 12/10/14 10:30 PM

Appreciate the feedback guys will report back when I make a decision and purchase!

Re: Hankook Ventus 101 Tires? - 06/23/15 04:59 AM

Well just a heads up! I went out today and ordered a complete set of Nitto NT555R Drag Radials for my GTX. Ordered a pair of 325/50/15 for the rear and 275/50/15 for the front. I think its going to ride well with drag radials on all 4 corners. Not the optimal setup, but for tires in 15", I think my best choice. It will take 2-3 days for them to come in and then will swap out the rubber. Will take a few pictures when done.

http://www.nittotire.com/race-tires/nt555r-dot-compliant-competition-drag-radial-tire/
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Hankook Ventus 101 Tires? - 06/23/15 05:15 AM

I've had the 555s on my Charger since 2003. Nice tire line, these Nittos. Since mine are so old, I also ordered new tires. I got the NT05s in the same size I have on the car now.

Re: Hankook Ventus 101 Tires? - 06/23/15 05:46 AM

My BFG`S look fine, but are very old. And with the highway being my road of choice, just don't trust them. If this was cruised on city streets would not worry about them. I hate to see them toss the old rubber.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Hankook Ventus 101 Tires? - 06/23/15 06:01 AM

I've seen the way that you "cruise", Herb....
Good thing you're getting new skins!

Re: Nitto NT555R Tires / All 4 Corners - 07/01/15 03:10 AM

Well had the new rubber mounted today and everything clears. And the front 275/50/15 rubber did not rub against anything. Car drives nice and straight with good road manners. Think this was a good call and happy with my purchase. Will take a few pics as the tires fill up the wheel wells nicely.

Re: Nitto NT555R Tires / All 4 Corners - 07/06/15 04:04 AM

Picture
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GB_04-1klcMSzBMwkfRQy2ONp0-81r_S0A/view?usp=sharing

Re: Nitto NT555R Tires / All 4 Corners - 07/06/15 04:07 AM

Another
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r66C8zAcj7DT1wQ_WudUhKQi5daCWhTP4Q/view?usp=sharing

Re: Nitto NT555R Tires / All 4 Corners - 07/06/15 04:10 AM

And another!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dhq6nrZK5zxLQzwBdGfLMjuzagI51gLXRA/view?usp=sharing

Re: Nitto NT555R Tires / All 4 Corners - 07/06/15 04:13 AM

last one.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kttQuFctI8TarmmyFbYI3K_lI9D6nQDN4A/view?usp=sharing
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Nitto NT555R Tires / All 4 Corners - 07/06/15 07:07 PM

That looks wicked! How do the fronts like corners?

Re: Nitto NT555R Tires / All 4 Corners - 07/06/15 09:38 PM

The handling does not seem to be affected by the drag radials up front.Though I have yet to throw the car in the twisties and see what it does. At this point very pleased with the traction improvment, and look of the new rubber, and best of all no rubbing!
Posted By: 67R/T4speeder

Re: Nitto NT555R Tires / All 4 Corners - 07/17/15 05:54 PM

Those look sticky I hope they work well

Wish I could stuff those sizes
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Nitto NT555R Tires / All 4 Corners - 07/31/15 08:50 PM

Looks great Herb! Now you can safely redline the thing in 4th with room to spare. I believe the speed rating on those tires is 186 mph.

I need some fresh front tires on my E-body, and I may go the same route. Radial T/A's are only rated to 110 mph or something.
© 2024 Moparts Forums