Moparts

Hotchkis UCAs with Rear mount slider 11.75 issue

Posted By: goldduster318

Hotchkis UCAs with Rear mount slider 11.75 issue - 10/26/14 03:23 AM

Is anyone else running rear mount 11.75" rotors with slider calipers on an A-body with Hotchkis upper control arms? I assembled the passenger side today and turned the wheel to check clearance and found that the retaining clip hits the UCA when you get anywhere near ride height.

I haven't looked into trimming the clip yet, as I have some spares. I'd rather not swap the spindles side to side if I don't have to (would likely have to change calipers and hoses)...but I probably could since I'm going to use the Hotchkis sway bar.

Here's a photo with the suspension drooped:
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Hotchkis UCAs with Rear mount slider 11.75 issue - 10/26/14 06:23 AM

Quote:

Is anyone else running rear mount 11.75" rotors with slider calipers on an A-body with Hotchkis upper control arms? I assembled the passenger side today and turned the wheel to check clearance and found that the retaining clip hits the UCA when you get anywhere near ride height.

I haven't looked into trimming the clip yet, as I have some spares. I'd rather not swap the spindles side to side if I don't have to (would likely have to change calipers and hoses)...but I probably could since I'm going to use the Hotchkis sway bar.

Here's a photo with the suspension drooped:

I know they don't work with pin type with 11 3/4" disks. We had to move them to the front on my A-body.

I don't know if they work with 10 3/4" disk setup pin or slider?

These two pics are with the LCA jacked to max bump spot compression to check for clearance.

So you need to swap the spindles side to side to get caliper to UCA distance

Checking for caliper clearance after switching the spindled side to side

Attached picture 8311971-Hotchkis7_27_10TVSbuildSm02.JPG
Posted By: 340duster340

Re: Hotchkis UCAs with Rear mount slider 11.75 issue - 10/26/14 03:58 PM

73-up calipers mount forward. you need to use the later style sway bar though. this mounts the sway bar ends closer to the center of the LCA.

just did the swap the other day on my 66 dart, running FFI UCAs/swaybar/strut rods.
Posted By: goldduster318

Re: Hotchkis UCAs with Rear mount slider 11.75 issue - 10/26/14 04:37 PM

It is looking like a side-side swap and having to change the calipers to the same side bleeder/inlet type for me. There's no way this is going to work.

I'm going to be using the Hotchkis sway bar kit for the 67-72 K-frame. That kit mounts a lot like a 73-76 sway bar. Should fit fine.

I think Hotchkis may want to revise the directions on these.

I did see that the Shannon Hudson green valiant article in car craft had rear mount 10.87's on it.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Hotchkis UCAs with Rear mount slider 11.75 issue - 10/26/14 06:49 PM

Quote:

73-up calipers mount forward. you need to use the later style sway bar though. this mounts the sway bar ends closer to the center of the LCA.

just did the swap the other day on my 66 dart, running FFI UCAs/swaybar/strut rods.

You dn not have to run 73-76 calipers in the front. You just flip the spindles and get different brake flex line. A brake line with a banjo type fitting work. IIRC, from a mid 70's Cordoba. Or a braided line with a banjo on the end of it.

Attached picture 8312338-CopyofPICT2020.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums