Moparts

Front spring hanger Reinforcing Plate

Posted By: cruzin

Front spring hanger Reinforcing Plate - 10/21/14 01:04 AM

Installing a set of SS springs using the required front spring hangers on an E-body. I see there are reinforcing plates available. I don't need them for spacing purpose. However, is it recommended to use them on the backside of the front hanger for added reinforcement or are they not necessary?

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/ebospharepl.html
Posted By: brads70

Re: Front spring hanger Reinforcing Plate - 10/21/14 01:33 AM

I made my own? Thinking it adds strength?
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Front spring hanger Reinforcing Plate - 10/21/14 01:34 AM

The factory put them on the higher powered cars. Seems prudent to reinforce that area since there is so much stress there.
Posted By: 340duster340

Re: Front spring hanger Reinforcing Plate - 10/21/14 02:37 AM

that being said, how does it help? its not load bearing, so unless your concerned with spring hangers pulling out, i don't understand what they do.
Posted By: dangina

Re: Front spring hanger Reinforcing Plate - 10/21/14 04:04 AM

sometimes i just like overkill, one less thing to worry about
Posted By: jcc

Re: Front spring hanger Reinforcing Plate - 10/21/14 04:41 AM

Silly me, I thought they were spacers to align the rear.

Re: Front spring hanger Reinforcing Plate - 10/21/14 06:23 AM

They are reproductions of the original stiffening plates but you can use them as shims to adjust the rear thrust angle if necessary. Works for either application.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Front spring hanger Reinforcing Plate - 10/21/14 05:02 PM

I could see them as a benefit to drag cars with sticky tracks and gripping slicks that are trying to pull the hanger out of its mounting pocket. Not unlike a roll bar reinforcing plate that spreads load over a wider area.

Re: Front spring hanger Reinforcing Plate - 10/21/14 05:10 PM

I thought the load was more compression, especially for drag situations?
Posted By: Dan@Hotchkis

Re: Front spring hanger Reinforcing Plate - 10/21/14 05:44 PM

That is where we connect our subframe connectors, with a similar plate. Transfers the load and really adds to the chassis rigidity and control.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Front spring hanger Reinforcing Plate - 10/22/14 05:26 PM

Quote:

I thought the load was more compression, especially for drag situations?

Its more of a sheer load on the front hanger, although it may be slightly compressive for the top two hanger studs and slightly expansive on the bottom two studs.

If you look at housing rotation on a launch, this pulls the front spring segment up, which pulls the spring eye up, which pulls the mounting bracket up, and because the mopar hanger is not symetrical, it pulls on the bottom studs and pushes on the top studs.

If you use a Cal-trac type device, it resists compressive loading, but this is due to the housing rotation around the axle that would compress anything mounted under the axle centerline.

The reinforcing plates are not a bad addition if you want them.
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Front spring hanger Reinforcing Plate - 10/22/14 10:01 PM

I would *think* there is quite some more compression and forward 'push' to this area, in addition to an upward force.
As after 'all' the things have happened like TC@HP2 has mentioned above, finally the rear axle/leafsprings start pushing the entire weight of the car forward.

Re: Front spring hanger Reinforcing Plate - 10/23/14 04:16 AM

Yes and then when you hit the brakes hard the weight of the car is being pulled back by the spring hanger which is bolted to a couple thicknesses of sheet metal.

And when you go around a corner the car body is held in place by those same bolts.

Re: Front spring hanger Reinforcing Plate - 10/23/14 02:17 PM

But to be accurate, the braking forces will never equal acceleration forces in this location.
© 2024 Moparts Forums