Moparts

Steering column help

Posted By: Joemoy29

Steering column help - 10/08/14 07:58 PM

hello, my car was manual steering and i just installed the firm feel stage three box, (great company to deal with) i pulled the manual column out of the car, i was able to get a donor column from a power steering car, is there any tips of plan of attack to dismember my manual column and swap the shaft for the shorter power one? Thanks for any help
Joe
Posted By: Rapom65

Re: Steering column help - 10/11/14 06:57 PM

Pretty straight forward remove and replace procedure. If you have never worked on columns before a factory service manual would be highly recommended. There are lots available on-line for free. While you have it blown apart consider replacing the sloppy stock bushing setup with a column support bearing.
Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: Steering column help - 10/11/14 07:00 PM

That's what I did when I replaced my column shaft. Except, when it all went back together, I forgot something, so now my turn signal lever rotates a full 90 degrees before engagement.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Steering column help - 10/12/14 01:47 AM

x2 on the factory service manual.

Also, if you pull the pot coupling apart, mark the orientation or indexing. If it is re-assembled 180 degrees off, it will be impossible to center the steering wheel. The coupling is easy to rebuild with a simple kit and its a good idea to get it cleaned, checked and re-lubed.
© 2024 Moparts Forums