Moparts

275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles

Posted By: MuuMuu101

275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/16/14 02:17 AM

Just curious... For you guys who are running a 275/35/18 or equivalent tire in a stock wheel tub A-body. Did you guys use offset shackles? I've been asking around and doing some measurements and it doesn't seem like they'd fit without one. I've also got a stock width A-body rear end with Dr Diff's kit on it. I just don't recall anybody mentioning needed them. How do the offset shackle kits work? I'm assuming you have to move the perches in.

I found a deal on CL for some bullet 2 piece wheels on CL. 2 piece wheels means I could probably get someone to cut the welds and set it to an offset I need. Or I could just use a spacer. Fronts are 18 x 8" with a 245/40/18 tire and rears are a 18 x 10 with a 275/35/18 tire on it. Offsets are unknown. Honestly, I don't think anything more than a 255/40/18 will fit or maybe a 265/35/18 (may look a little funky as the fronts would be smaller than the rears). Only info I got is that they were originally made for a '72 Mustang but now put on a newer one. Judging by the pictures, the rears seem to have close to 0 mm offset as it sticks out past the quarter panels on the newer Mustang.

Attached picture 8271131-00U0U_9hbYCDUSabW_600x450.jpg

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/16/14 02:18 AM

Another picture...

Attached picture 8271136-00101_cW2Vsfa48po_600x450.jpg
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/16/14 04:36 AM

You can generalize through all A-body.

The body style/shape dictates the distance to the place the outer edge of the tire will rub.

67-69 Darts are just like your 68. Even 70-72 Darts are the same in the rear. And very close in the front as they take a different wheel lip moldling.

GMachineDart would be a good guy to benchmark from.

On my 68 Dart: 245/60/15 15x7 with 4.25" to 4.5" backspacing depending on small or large bolt pattern is about all the rear will take with the car lowered. My rear wheel lips are not rolled and the body has a tiny be more room to the quarter on one side.

Sure there are people that have got more, but make sure their back ends are not all jacked up.

IMHO, the springs are only about 1/2" past the inner fender. But when the rear end rolls, the top of tire tilts in relative to the body. So you need some room there.

In the front I've barely got 225/60/15 on 15x7 4.25" backspacing rim. I've got 245/60/15 with 15x6.5 rims BUT I moved the bottom front of the fender out.

Might consider some 16x7's 5.0" backspacing with 245/50/16's. Then run 1/2" billet spacers in the rear. Or maybe 17x7's and you probably will have to mess with the bottom front fender lip some. Hopefully GMachineDart has some better insight.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/16/14 04:47 AM

Quote:

The body style/shape dictates the distance to the place the outer edge of the tire will rub.

67-69 Darts are just like your 68. Even 70-72 Darts are the same in the rear. And very close in the front as they take a different wheel lip moldling.

On my 68 Dart: 245/60/15 15x7 with 4.25" to 4.5" backspacing depending on small or large bolt pattern is about all the rear will take with the car lowered. My rear wheel lips are not rolled and the body has a tiny be more room to the quarter on one side.

Sure there are people that have got more, but make sure their back ends are not all jacked up.

IMHO, the springs are only about 1/2" past the inner fender. But when the rear end rolls, the top of tire tilts in relative to the body. So you need some room there.

In the front I've barely got 225/60/15 on 15x7 4.25" backspacing rim. I've got 245/60/15 with 15x6.5 rims BUT I moved the bottom front of the fender out.

Might consider some 16x7's 5.0" backspacing with 245/50/16's. Then run 1/2" billet spacers in the rear. Or maybe 17x7's and you probably will have to mess with the bottom front fender lip some. Hopefully GMachineDart has some better insight.

I'm going to have the full Hotchkis TVS with Dr Diff's 13" brembo-style calipers in front and 11.7" Cobra calipers in the rear. My rear end is stock A-body length.

Thanks through my research tonight, that's what I've been finding out. I was able to get more information about the wheels above. fronts are 18 x 8's with a 7mm offset and rears are 18 x 10's with a 0mm offset. He was running spacers on his Mustang so I might ask for them if I decide to pick them up tomorrow as I know the fronts won't fit. I believe rears should be able to fit fine. Worst case scenario I'll trim the lip. If I pick these up tomorrow, I might just order some new 245/40/18 tires for the front and 255/40/18's for the rear on clearance from TireRack (trying to save some money instead of forking over $2500 for new wheels and tires). I'll probably sell the fronts on CL for cheap (to recover some money) and save the 275/35/18 for the future (in case I want to mini-tub or use offset shackles).

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/16/14 04:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm going to have the full Hotchkis TVS with Dr Diff's 13" brembo-style calipers in front and 11.7" Cobra calipers in the rear. My rear end is stock A-body length.

Thanks through my research tonight, that's what I've been finding out. I was able to get more information about the wheels above. fronts are 18 x 8's with a 7mm offset and rears are 18 x 10's with a 0mm offset. He was running spacers on his Mustang so I might ask for them if I decide to pick them up tomorrow as I know the fronts won't fit. I believe rears should be able to fit fine. Worst case scenario I'll trim the lip. If I pick these up tomorrow, I might just order some new 245/40/18 tires for the front and 255/40/18's for the rear on clearance from TireRack (trying to save some money instead of forking over $2500 for new wheels and tires). I'll probably sell the fronts on CL for cheap (to recover some money) and save the 275/35/18 for the future (in case I want to mini-tub or use offset shackles).

Typically large bolt pattern axles move the flange out 3/16 to 1/4" because they have thicker flanges than small bolt pattern axle flanges.

I'm not intimately familiar with Dr Diff rear rotors, but are they thicker where they mount to the axle than the drums you took off that 8 3/4 ?

If so, how much? If so, they makes you rear a little wider too.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/16/14 05:01 AM

Quote:

Typically large bolt pattern axles move the flange out 3/16 to 1/4" because they have thicker flanges than small bolt pattern axle flanges.

I'm not intimately familiar with Dr Diff rear rotors, but are they thicker where they mount to the axle than the drums you took off that 8 3/4 ?

Just did a rough measurement with the rearend in the car using a tape measure. Rotor face to Rotor face is ~59". So if a stock A-body rear is 57 1/8" drum-to-drum than I added an extra 15/16" on each side? ~24 mm? Does that sound right?

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/16/14 05:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Just did a rough measurement with the rearend in the car using a tape measure. Rotor face to Rotor face is ~59". So if a stock A-body rear is 57 1/8" drum-to-drum than I added an extra 15/16" on each side? ~24 mm? Does that sound right?

Check with Dr Diff who you bought the axles and brake kit from.

Is the center section out of the rear? If not you have to bend the tape measure around and give you a bad measurement. Better to take a long straight edge against the end of the axle with the rotor clamped on. Then extend the straight edge to the floor. Mark floor. Then do some on other side. Then measure between marks on floor.

Your rear end has 43" between leaf spring hole centers correct? Not 44"?

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/16/14 05:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Check with Dr Diff who you bought the axles and brake kit from.

Is the center section out of the rear? If not you have to bend the tape measure around and give you a bad measurement. Better to take a long straight edge against the end of the axle with the rotor clamped on. Then extend the straight edge to the floor. Mark floor. Then do some on other side. Then measure between marks on floor.

The rear end is completely assembled in the car including the brakes. I avoided the center section hump by measuring from the top of the pad contact surface to the top pad contact surface (~55.5") on each rotor. Then I measured from the pad contact surface to the wheel surface (~1.75") and multiplied by two. Adding it together gets ~59".

Attached picture 8271435-discbrakeincar.jpg
Posted By: 68cuda440

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/16/14 05:29 AM

Quote:

My car has the very same Front and Rear Dr Diff brake package. Car is a '68 Barracuda. Front is 255/40-18 on 18x9 with a +35mm offset. This is a fitment for a 2005-2014 Mustang. Wheels cost me $150 each from "Late Model Restoration". http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/SVE-1007FC/2005-12-Mustang-Flat-Black-SVE-Drift-18X9

Rear I am running 295/40-18 on 18x10 with +22mm offset. This is a fitment for a 1994-2004 Mustang and cost $160 each. I am running a 1/2" spacer, but my axle is narrowed 7/8" per side from stock. These wheels would fit perfectly on my car with the stock axle width. My axle is narrowed to fit a 12" +25mm offset wheel in the center of the wheel well. The inner wheel housing is flush to the frame AKA mini-tub. So I can run 15x10 1" offset and fit 325/50-15 under the car. Likewise I can run 19x12 and a 325/30-19.
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/SVE-1007FA/1994-04-Mustang-Flat-Black-SVE-Drift-18X10

Only issue with the front on the SVE wheels is I will not be able to run the plastic wheel center caps or I will have to make something special that will fit over the grease cap.

Here is a decent set of pictures showing how the wheels sit:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1970389961&postcount=233

Modifications to clearance front edge of front fender on the Barracuda:
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post8094659

Pictures the day it came home from paint:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1970471762&postcount=296

Here is an older picture with the 15x10 and 325/50 Drag radials:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1326615&postcount=20

-Michael
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/16/14 05:35 AM

An 18x9 is an big as you can fit. The front a bs of 6-6.5 will fly and a 275/35/18 clears. The rear you have to nail on the bs with offset shackles to work. If it were me with stock rear tubs I would find a set of 4 matching wheels with a bs that works in the front and just use a spacer in the rear to make it up.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/16/14 05:35 AM

Quote:

My car has the very same Front and Rear Dr Diff brake package. Car is a '68 Barracuda. Front is 255/40-18 on 18x9 with a +35mm offset. This is a fitment for a 2005-2014 Mustang. Wheels cost me $150 each from "Late Model Restoration". http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/SVE-1007FC/2005-12-Mustang-Flat-Black-SVE-Drift-18X9

Rear I am running 295/40-18 on 18x10 with +22mm offset. This is a fitment for a 1994-2004 Mustang and cost $160 each. I am running a 1/2" spacer, but my axle is narrowed 7/8" per side from stock. These wheels would fit perfectly on my car with the stock axle width. My axle is narrowed to fit a 12" +25mm offset wheel in the center of the wheel well. The inner wheel housing is flush to the frame AKA mini-tub. So I can run 15x10 1" offset and fit 325/50-15 under the car. Likewise I can run 19x12 and a 325/30-19.
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/SVE-1007FA/1994-04-Mustang-Flat-Black-SVE-Drift-18X10

Only issue with the front on the SVE wheels is I will not be able to run the plastic wheel center caps or I will have to make something special that will fit over the grease cap.

Here is a decent set of pictures showing how the wheels sit:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1970389961&postcount=233

Modifications to clearance front edge of front fender on the Barracuda:
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post8094659

Pictures the day it came home from paint:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1970471762&postcount=296

Here is an older picture with the 15x10 and 325/50 Drag radials:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1326615&postcount=20

-Michael

Ok, I've seen your car quite a bit on FABO. This is a good reference for me.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/16/14 05:36 AM

Quote:

An 18x9 is an big as you can fit. The front a bs of 6-6.5 will fly and a 275/35/18 clears. The rear you have to nail on the bs with offset shackles to work. If it were me with stock rear tubs I would find a set of 4 matching wheels with a bs that works in the front and just use a spacer in the rear to make it up.

Yeah, also talking about this on FABO. We didn't realize the brake and bbp axles stuck out so far. I may try doing an 18 x 9" on all 4 corners with the same bs and just running 255/40/18's.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/16/14 05:42 AM

Quote:

Not by much. The outside face of the rotor I have in the rear sits just below flush on the center register on the axle, so yes it is thicker than the stock drum.

The front kit he has is the same as mine. It is like taking a Cordoba hub and cutting the rotor off. Then add the rotor thickness. So it ends up a bit wider than the Cordoba brakes. I think Cass designed it to work with the late model Mustang wheel offsets. To get the same size front and rear and get them to sit right, like a 17x8 wheel for example, you would probably have to go with a small 1/2" spacer on the rear.

I would just ask Cass (Dr Diff), he sells the kits and knows what works.

-Michael

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/16/14 05:55 AM

Quote:

Yeah, also talking about this on FABO. We didn't realize the brake and bbp axles stuck out so far. I may try doing an 18 x 9" on all 4 corners with the same bs and just running 255/40/18's.

That should fit easily, too bad you are not local, I know where a few wheels are you could test fit. Do a few quick measurements on the rear, I think the 18x9 w/ +35mm to +38mm should work fine for you. I run 3" studs on the rear and bought a 1/2" hub centric billet spacer from the same guys that sell the wheels. I think they also sell 1/4" spacer. I used cheap auto zone spacers and flat washers to figure out what spacer thickness I would need. The wheels I bought are thick in the center, the 2" studs that came with the Dr Diff hubs barely made it through the lug nuts. I bought 3" studs for the front and swapped them out: http://southwestspeed.com/?sec=view_part&id=24534 I already had 3" studs in the rear.

*I do not have a spacer on the front*

-Michael

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/16/14 05:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That should fit easily, too bad you are not local, I know where a few wheels are you could test fit. Do a few quick measurements on the rear, I think the 18x9 w/ +35mm to +38mm should work fine for you. I run 3" studs on the rear and bought a 1/2" hub centric billet spacer from the same guys that sell the wheels. I think they also sell 1/4" spacer. I used cheap auto zone spacers and flat washers to figure out what spacer thickness I would need. The wheels I bought are thick in the center, the 2" studs that came with the Dr Diff hubs barely made it through the lug nuts. I bought 3" studs for the front and swapped them out: http://southwestspeed.com/?sec=view_part&id=24534 I already had 3" studs in the rear.

-Michael

Yeah, I've got the 2" stud kit all the way around. I'd hate to swap them out.
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/16/14 06:02 AM

5 x 4.5" bolt pattern A-body conversion axles increase the track 1/4" per side.

Rear rotors increase the track an additional 1/8" per side, for a total assembly width of 58.175".

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/16/14 06:03 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I've got the 2" stud kit all the way around. I'd hate to swap them out.

If you look closely at the pictures of the front you can see the studs sticking out. I did not absolutely NEED to swap the studs in the front. For the rear, with a spacer, I do not think you could get away with running 2" studs. It is going to depend on the thickness of the wheels.

-Michael

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/16/14 06:22 AM

You can't use an A body Barracuda for reference on a Dart in the rear. Barracudas rear quarters are way more forgiving.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/16/14 07:19 AM

Quote:

You can't use an A body Barracuda for reference on a Dart in the rear. Barracudas rear quarters are way more forgiving.

But have you fit 275/35/18 in the rear with just an offset shackle move? No lip rolling or mini tubbing?

On my 68 Dart, 245/60/15 will rub the stock outer lip and I see rub marks on the top of the inner fender from the body leaning and tipping the tire inward.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/16/14 07:41 AM

No, my car got the rear springs moved in on day 2 and the lips rolled on day 3. But the guy with the lime green 71 does run 275's squared. You have to commit to a tire size and go for it. Those little air saws work wonders and so does a block of wood and a sledge.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/16/14 08:31 AM

Quote:

5 x 4.5" bolt pattern A-body conversion axles increase the track 1/4" per side.

Rear rotors increase the track an additional 1/8" per side, for a total assembly width of 58.175".

Thanks... I've got to work on my measuring. But doesn't 57.125 + 2(.250) + 2(.125) = 57.875"? Either I'm really tired, the rear axle info on the tech section is wrong, or I messed up somewhere on my rear end or brake setup.

I just looked at some pictures of my tape measure before I had to leave for the night and it seems to be closer to 58.175" My approximation was just bad looking at the tape measure at a funky angle. I'll post them tomorrow afternoon.
Posted By: Tomswheels

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/17/14 12:20 AM

Samy, I have 4 different sets of 18x9, 18x10, and 19x10.5 wheels with +20 to +50 offsets down here in Escondido if you want to try them before you buy. I can fit the 18x10 with a 285 on the rear of my Valiant if you get the offset perfect. Springs do not need to be re-located. I bought all my wheels thru Americanmuscle.com for $75-$99 each on sale, so don't think this Craigslist deal is the only cost effective way.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/17/14 12:28 AM

Quote:

Samy, I have 4 different sets of 18x9, 18x10, and 19x10.5 wheels with +20 to +50 offsets down here in Escondido if you want to try them before you buy. I can fit the 18x10 with a 285 on the rear of my Valiant if you get the offset perfect. Springs do not need to be re-located. I bought all my wheels thru Americanmuscle.com for $75-$99 each on sale, so don't think this Craigslist deal is the only cost effective way.

If I'm not doing anything Saturday morning, I may be able to drive down for a little bit. I'd have to borrow them for a week or two though as the car is on jack stands.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/17/14 01:20 AM

I have an 18x9 with a 265/35/18 mounted I could loan you, but the rest are either on the cars (69 Cuda and 67 Valiant) or needed for racing. It would be easier if you could drive the Dart down once you get it back together and we could take stuff on and off as needed... By the way, the 18x9 with a 265 or 275/35/18 can work in front, with some fender massaging....

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/17/14 03:45 AM

Quote:

I have an 18x9 with a 265/35/18 mounted I could loan you, but the rest are either on the cars (69 Cuda and 67 Valiant) or needed for racing. It would be easier if you could drive the Dart down once you get it back together and we could take stuff on and off as needed... By the way, the 18x9 with a 265 or 275/35/18 can work in front, with some fender massaging....

I'm just trying to find a set of wheels I can get by with at the moment for either a mock up or temporary driving.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/17/14 04:21 AM

Just a suggestion, eBay item# 201104894475

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/17/14 04:43 AM

Quote:

Just a suggestion, eBay item# 201104894475

I actually really like the look and they're only about 10 miles away from me. But they sure are pricey... About $2500 after taxes. I'd definitely need a spacer for the rear.

If a standard rear end is 57.125" and mine is 58.175", then that means the rears will need to have ~13mm offset to be center, correct?

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/17/14 04:47 AM

That price is for all 4.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/17/14 04:56 AM

Quote:

That price is for all 4.

If it is, he isn't very clear about it.

Attached picture 8272557-Untitled.png

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/17/14 05:03 AM

Look at the first page it says Quantity 4.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/17/14 05:09 AM

Quote:

Look at the first page it says Quantity 4.

Yeah, I see it now. Still not clear if it's 1 or 4 wheels. I guess I'd have to give them a call tomorrow. However, with this wheel I'd probably need something like a 0.750-0.900" spacer for the rear assuming the my current brake setup sits about a touch more than half an inch on both sides than stock. 34 - 13 mm = 21 mm, ~0.820". I only have 2" studs. Isn't that getting thick?

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/17/14 05:29 AM

Got a halfway decent idea of taking the spare tire from my Scion and throwing it on the rear of the Dart. Bolt patterns are the same, but it's a shallow 16" wheel so the face of the caliper was bumping against the inner wheel.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/17/14 05:33 AM

Samy, do your want a set for Autocross?

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/17/14 05:36 AM

I'm thinking it would need 1/2" tops. I believe your rear studs thread into the axle, swapping studs on the rear, don't sweat it.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/17/14 07:05 AM

Quote:

Samy, do your want a set for Autocross?

I'd like to find a set I can use for all purposes. Something I can take to the autocross, road course, or general cruising around town or the freeway. When/if I get more serious about racing the car I'll probably get two sets of wheels or just move on to track wheels.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/17/14 03:59 PM

Just know that 98% of street tires won't hold up well (or do well) at the track. I have a full set of 18x9 stealth black FR500 wheels with a +24/+30 offset and 265/275/35/18 Falken RT615Ks with about 1/2 tread left for $650 if that would help. They are great for track, 200 treadwear, firm ride on the street.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/18/14 02:45 AM

The two tires I've been looking at the most is the Dunlop ZII's and the Hancook RS-23.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/18/14 03:54 AM

Those are great choices, they are in the process now of replacing the Dunlop ZII with the ZII Star Spec...

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/18/14 04:00 AM

Quote:

Those are great choices, they are in the process now of replacing the Dunlop ZII with the ZII Star Spec...

They're already out... http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+ZII+Star+Spec

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/18/14 04:46 AM

So what size offset do you think I'd need front and back. Due to the small wheel wells, I'll constrict myself to 245/40/18's for now (8-9.5" wide wheel). For the fronts, I was told an 18mm to 40mm offset should work. Using the same tire size and offset, I don't see how wheel width would matter. All it would do is stretch or bulge the sidewalls.

Just surfing CL these are some of the wheel specs I found that might work with or without spacers...

1) XXR wheels
Bolt Pattern: 5 x 4.5" / 5 x 100mm
Hub Centerbore: Unknown
Width: 8.5"
Offset: 35 mm

Not a fan of the duel bolt pattern. Very similar (may even be the same) to the wheels 72BBSwinger posted above. I haven't been able to contact them today. I was busy.

2) Unknown make or Varrstoen ES2 (found two different wheels)
Bolt Pattern: 5 x 4.5"
Hub Centerbore: 73.1mm
Width: 9.5"
Offset: 22 mm

Based off of my research, I feel like I could get away with this combo without or with very skinny spacers front and rear. Plus the width may end up helping me out if I choose to go wider tire in the future. Both wheels are built to clear big brakes.

3) Enkei RP01
Bolt Pattern: 5 x 4.5"
Hub Centerbore: Unknown (could find them if I searched hard enough)
Width: 9"
Offset: 42 mm

Would definitely need spacers.

I kind of like option two as they look nice and may seem to fit both the front and rear with little work. All wheels are $650-800 w/out tires. The ES2's come with NT05 245/40/18's for an extra $500 if I want them. The Enkei's are about $1400 for wheels and tires but they're on RS-23 265/35/18.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/18/14 04:48 AM

1) XXR wheels

Attached picture 8273561-00K0K_ltTnLMdaLt8_600x450.jpg

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/18/14 04:49 AM

2) Unknown make

Attached picture 8273562-00r0r_hfDcqYlAR4X_600x450.jpg

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/18/14 04:50 AM

2) Varrestoen ES2

Attached picture 8273563-00505_3o8efAaOHbY_600x450.jpg

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/18/14 04:51 AM

3) Enkei RP01

Attached picture 8273564-00W0W_94s1Uqm5cLf_600x450.jpg
Posted By: RylisPro

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/18/14 05:01 AM

That unknown wheel looks like a Rota which is a copy of a Volk TE37 wheel. Of all the wheels here I would choose Enkei on a limited budget as I feel they have higher quality standards than the other cheap cast wheels. I know people who race and win on the Rota wheels but this is in a gutted S2000 race car not on heavy American Iron.

If I had a recommendation and one had a bigger budget, I would get a custom quality forged wheel that way you can get the correct offsets you need and not mess with spacers.

I understand everybody has a certain budget and all, its just that I would not skimp on the wheels as it is one of the most highly stressed components on a car especially when you go to the track

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/18/14 05:12 AM

Quote:

That unknown wheel looks like a Rota which is a copy of a Volk TE37 wheel. Of all the wheels here I would choose Enkei on a limited budget as I feel they have higher quality standards than the other cheap cast wheels. I know people who race and win on the Rota wheels but this is in a gutted S2000 race car not on heavy American Iron.

If I had a recommendation and one had a bigger budget, I would get a custom quality forged wheel that way you can get the correct offsets you need and not mess with spacers.

I understand everybody has a certain budget and all, its just that I would not skimp on the wheels as it is one of the most highly stressed components on a car especially when you go to the track

The Enkei RSM9 and PF01 come in a 9.5" wide wheel with a 35mm offset. The only thing about them is I've heard they can bend easier in some cases. Some of the spokes do look awfully tiny.

A forged wheel is way out of my budget (maybe $2500 a set minimum I'd assume?). I'm not opposed to getting a 2 piece wheel made with cast centers. I can always talk to OzHemi with regards to my two piece wheel options.

I think a max of $1500-1600 on wheel and $1000 on tires is fairly reasonable. But why spend extra money when you don't need to?

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/18/14 05:36 AM

With $1600 you can definitely get a set of Enkei PF01's as I have a set of two 18x10.5s that I use as rain wheels/ spare tires. I think I got them for $325 each and I beat on these wheels before getting my track wheels.

I would definitly use the PF01 at the track as there are R35's that use them and the Nissan GTR is a fat pig

I agree that forged wheels are not needed, but neither is a cheap cast wheel that will be more likely to fail at the track

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/18/14 05:43 AM

Quote:

With $1600 you can definitely get a set of Enkei PF01's as I have a set of two 18x10.5s that I use as rain wheels/ spare tires. I think I got them for $325 each and I beat on these wheels before getting my track wheels.

I agree that forged wheels are not needed, but neither is a cheap cast wheel that will be more likely to fail at the track

Black:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/enk-4608956635bk/overview/

Silver:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/enk-4608956635sp/overview/

I think a black wheel would look better offsetting itself from the white. Silver will work but I feel like it would get a little lost.

Summit says $1512 for black wheels and $1422 for the silver to ship. Earliest shipping date would be Oct 2nd for the black wheels. If I get these, they're still going to need spacers though.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/18/14 05:55 AM

I got my silver wheels from THmotorsports as they priced matched and dropped shipped them from Enkei. I Then plasti-dipped them black.
Yes I had to get spacers also but that is exactly how I found the offsets for my forged wheels

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/18/14 06:08 AM

Quote:

I got my silver wheels from THmotorsports as they priced matched and dropped shipped them from Enkei. I Then plasti-dipped them black.
Yes I had to get spacers also but that is exactly how I found the offsets for my forged wheels

They're pretty light... 20.65 lbs a wheel. I don't think they'll look too bad with big brakes. I really like black but the silver is $90 cheaper. That's one good option, I wonder how they'd look on the Dart though. Anyone have an idea of what size spacer I'd need for the rears (even though I'm still not too big of a fan of spacers)?
Posted By: blown340

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/18/14 06:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

They're pretty light... 20.65 lbs a wheel. I don't think they'll look too bad with big brakes. I really like black but the silver is $90 cheaper. That's one good option, I wonder how they'd look on the Dart though. Anyone have an idea of what size spacer I'd need for the rears (even though I'm still not too big of a fan of spacers)?

I run the enkei's on my challenger as well and am very happy with them. I have enkei RPF1's 19x9.5 that I picked up with 1/2 tread 275/35/19 Yokohama ADVAN AD08 tires off craigslist for $1k for the entire package. There are some good deals on this stuff used if you are willing to go that way.

-Jon

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/18/14 07:57 AM

I've been doing up some research on the forums about wheel spacers and I'm not sure if I like the idea of them at all. It seems like billet hub-centric spacers are ideal.
Posted By: Uhcoog1

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/18/14 02:12 PM

Quote:

I've been doing up some research on the forums about wheel spacers and I'm not sure if I like the idea of them at all. It seems like billet hub-centric spacers are ideal.

If you are unsure of spacers, do it right and do one of the following:
1. Run different offset front and rear
2. Run a wider rear that takes the same offset as the front

I currently run a 60" rear with 1/4" steel spacers and offset shackles for +45 18x9.5 and 265's or 275's square. Rotating tires was a requirement of mine when building the car.

The deal Tomswheels offered you is a smoking good deal.

Math:
60" rear width put tires almost touching the leafs with +45mm offset, ~11" wide tires, and offset shackles. 1.825/2= .9125" = 23.2 mm. Therefore, of you run a 21.8mm offset with the same width tire, you'll need a 1/4" spacer to get away from the leaf.

Tomswheels set up gets my vote. Run the +24 in rear with offset shackles and a 1/4" steel spacer, and the +30 up front (going to be tight on the fender depending on your alignment and ride height).

There is zero issue with a 1/4" or smaller spacer.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/20/14 07:53 AM

So, I know this is kind of cheesy but I made a mock up wheel out of cardboard to see what offset I'd need for the rear. It's just a cut circle with a rectangular piece taped to the circumference to simulate the width of the tire. I measured it on both sides of the car just in case my perches weren't centered on the rear axle. The wheel is cut to about a 245/40/18 tire (may be a tad taller and wider). Overall, I got that I'd have at least if not more than a finger's worth of room on both sides (leaf spring to outer trim) with about a +7-8mm offset. I measured 130 mm from the outside of the inner "tire" cardboard to the inner face of the cardboard. 245mm/2 = 122.5mm -130mm = 7.5mm.

Attached picture 8275535-wheelmockup2.jpg

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/20/14 08:06 AM

Quote:

If you are unsure of spacers, do it right and do one of the following:
1. Run different offset front and rear
2. Run a wider rear that takes the same offset as the front

I'm leaning towards running different offset wheel although I do like the idea of rotating tires. Another rear end is not an option. I guess you could rotate them by dismounting them and placing them on another wheel if all the wheel widths are the same.

Quote:

The deal Tomswheels offered you is a smoking good deal.

Tomswheels set up gets my vote. Run the +24 in rear with offset shackles and a 1/4" steel spacer, and the +30 up front (going to be tight on the fender depending on your alignment and ride height).

There is zero issue with a 1/4" or smaller spacer.

Offset shackles are not an option at this point. Rear end is already installed and I can't move in perches. To use a max of a 1/4" spacer I have to find a wheel that offers a +30mm offset for the fronts and about a +13-14mm offset for the rears. Although, I have been looking at that site.

So far the wheel that may fit my description on Summit is:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dgw-22786/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dgw-22783/overview/

The Enkei PF01 is offered in +15mm, +35mm, and +45mm +with the 9.5" wide wheels. I'm not sure if they'll fit even though a 245/40/18 will still mount to them. I heard the center bores (at least for the RPF1's) have to be bored out to 73mm as they're tapered.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand...mp;autoview=SKU

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/20/14 06:02 PM

Samy, again, I have a whole slew of wheels between 18x8 and 18x10, between +20 and +50 offset you are welcome to just try on so you don't end up buying a set that doesn't work....

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/20/14 10:15 PM

Quote:

Samy, again, I have a whole slew of wheels between 18x8 and 18x10, between +20 and +50 offset you are welcome to just try on so you don't end up buying a set that doesn't work....

Thanks for the offer, again. My problem is I don't have a set of wheels that will take the Dart down there.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/27/14 02:16 AM

Quote:

I'm starting to believe Tom has some truth to fitting a 275 under an A-body. I visited my friend today and borrowed his Mustang wheels with 275/40/17's on them (he's got a late 90's or early 00's GT). He also gave me a 245/45/17 in case I wanted to swap them. The 275/40/17 is a Hancook Ventus and the 245/45/17 is a Nitto NT555. The jack stands are mounted underneath the rear end of the car with an 1/8 tank of gas (so the suspension is loaded). So, I tried the wheels on the driver's back of the Dart, no spacers or washers, it seems like the tires will fit with little modifications just with less offset. The wheel is flush on the rotor surface. and I can spin it freely without any rub.

Attached picture 8282196-MustangwheelonDart.jpg

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/27/14 02:17 AM

There's about an inch or so till you hit the outter wheel lip and if needed I could even trim that down a touch. The camera angle is kind of funky...

Attached picture 8282198-TiretoOuttertrim.jpg

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/27/14 02:19 AM

And there's a touch of room (maybe 1/4") between the leaf spring and the tire. Sorry for the blurry picture...

Attached picture 8282199-Tiretoleafspring.jpg

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/27/14 02:21 AM

So, am I missing something? Is the suspension not loaded enough? How much room should I look for between the tire and the outer trim/leaf springs should I look for? With a little trimming and a different offset, it seems like a 275/35/18 should fit without much of a problem.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/27/14 02:49 AM

What is the rim width? Also might as well put some kind of spacers, washers whatever, and space it out and see if you canget all the weight down on the car to see how much inner wheelhouse massaging will be needed. If you have Hotchkis springs you are a LONG way from ride height in your pic.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/27/14 02:58 AM

Quote:

What is the rim width? Also might as well put some kind of spacers, washers whatever, and space it out and see if you canget all the weight down on the car to see how much inner wheelhouse massaging will be needed. If you have Hotchkis springs you are a LONG way from ride height in your pic.

I'm not sure... I can put some washers on the studs to space it out a bit. I figured the suspension wasn't loaded enough (Hotchkis leafs). Should I just start throwing things in the trunk?

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/27/14 03:02 AM

Yes, load it down. My Hotchkis springs with half tank of gas on my Dart sit perfectly flat, 0 arch in the main leaf, at ride height. Load it until they're flat and you should be good.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/27/14 03:43 AM

IIRC, the wheels may be 17 x 9 as the tires bulge out a bit. So, I threw almost 100 lbs in the trunk and added about 0.200" (5mm). Leaf springs look almost flat...

Attached picture 8282252-LoweredwheelonDart.jpg

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/27/14 03:44 AM

About 3/4" from tire to outer trim.

Attached picture 8282254-loweredtiretooutertrim.jpg

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/27/14 03:44 AM

About 1/2" from tire to leaf springs.

Attached picture 8282256-loweredtiretoleafspring.jpg

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/27/14 04:05 AM

Cool, I think ride height wise you're close. The wheel lip should be even with the wheelwell lip looking from the side. Anyway, stick your hand between the inside of the tire and the inner wheelhouse next. Also take some chalk and trace the tire to the inner wheelhouse. This will give you an idea of where to put the block of wood and sledge later lol.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/27/14 04:32 AM

Quote:

Cool, I think ride height wise you're close. The wheel lip should be even with the wheelwell lip looking from the side.

Is this with the current wheel that's on there or an 18" wheel?

Quote:

Anyway, stick your hand between the inside of the tire and the inner wheelhouse next.

I did this earlier and I think I was good, but I'll try it again. I haven't mocked this up on the other side, yet.

Quote:

Also take some chalk and trace the tire to the inner wheelhouse. This will give you an idea of where to put the block of wood and sledge later lol.

I'm not sure what the purpose of the chalk is for. I know the sledge is to make some extra room and to remove the giant dimple from the top of the wheel well.

So, am I almost close to proving you can put a 275 series tire underneath a lowered A body with little modifications? Lol.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/27/14 04:47 AM

Here is mine for comparison. Yes these are 18's, but my front hanger is stock +1/2" to move spring eye toward the ground and it has 1" longer than stock rear shackles. I had to do this for many reason that probably won't apply to yours. The inner clearance might be good now, I'm guessing you can get a finger in there, but the first time you pull into a driveway it wont be. Also check at the front lower edge of the inner wheel house as it tapers and rounds in there. I never said it couldn't be done, I said it could be if you nail the backspacing and do a little massaging.

Attached picture 8282306-IMAG0668.jpg

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/27/14 05:12 AM

Quote:

Here is mine for comparison. Yes these are 18's, but my front hanger is stock +1/2" to move spring eye toward the ground and it has 1" longer than stock rear shackles. I had to do this for many reason that probably won't apply to yours. The inner clearance might be good now, I'm guessing you can get a finger in there, but the first time you pull into a driveway it wont be. Also check at the front lower edge of the inner wheel house as it tapers and rounds in there. I never said it couldn't be done, I said it could be if you nail the backspacing and do a little massaging.

I'm still not happy about the tire to spring clearance, I'd prefer to trim the the outer wheel lip a little and give it a touch less back spacing. I'll check the inner edge as well.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/27/14 05:29 AM

Interesting, when I put 245/60-14's in the back of my 72 Swinger, abut 20 years ago, I had to roll the fender lip and still had less room than you do on either side of the tire. In a hard corner my sidewall would just rub the leaf. Never rubbed the outside though. I had maybe 3/4" clearance on both sides of the tire. I cannot imagine being able to fit a tire with a bit more than an inch wider in there.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/27/14 05:33 AM

Quote:

Interesting, when I put 245/60-14's in the back of my 72 Swinger, abut 20 years ago, I had to roll the fender lip and still had less room than you do on either side of the tire. In a hard corner my sidewall would just rub the leaf. Never rubbed the outside though. I had maybe 3/4" clearance on both sides of the tire. I cannot imagine being able to fit a tire with a bit more than an inch wider in there.

I'm still worried about turning or exiting a driveway situations. I'm not sure I'm happy with the amount of room that's there. I'd most likely have to trim the outer wheel well lip and reduce the offset a bit more to get ample clearance and center the wheel a bit more.

I think part of your problem would have been the sidewall flexing and bulging.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/27/14 05:35 AM

Quote:

You are exactly right there. With short sidewalls like you are showing I doubt it would have rubbed. But I had what I had and short sidewall tires back then were out of my price range.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/27/14 05:45 AM

In my experience you want to be tighter to the outside. Say centered you had 1/2" on both sides, I'd move it to 1/4" outside and 3/4" inside. Under hard cornering outside tire moves away from fender and towards inner tub and spring. The other side is moving toward the fender a little but its also traveling away to. Plus tires dont flex near as much at the tops. Ontop of that with 18's 35-40 series rubber, sidewalls flex in minimal.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/27/14 05:57 AM

Quote:

In my experience you want to be tighter to the outside. Say centered you had 1/2" on both sides, I'd move it to 1/4" outside and 3/4" inside. Under hard cornering outside tire moves away from fender and towards inner tub and spring. The other side is moving toward the fender a little but its also traveling away to. Plus tires dont flex near as much at the tops. Ontop of that with 18's 35-40 series rubber, sidewalls flex in minimal.

That's exactly what I thought. Some and a little should help. My driveway is a little steep and the road I'm on is uphill as well so I really would prefer not to rub.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/27/14 06:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You are exactly right there. With short sidewalls like you are showing I doubt it would have rubbed. But I had what I had and short sidewall tires back then were out of my price range.

These are just for mock ups too. My sidewall should be shorter than this as I'm going to get an 18" wheel.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/27/14 01:38 PM

In my experience I have found that clearance at ride height is good, but clearance under 3" of compression is where you need to be looking.

You are fine with 1/4"-3/8" clearance from the leaf. That stays mostly static when driving.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/27/14 05:57 PM

Quote:

In my experience I have found that clearance at ride height is good, but clearance under 3" of compression is where you need to be looking.

You are fine with 1/4"-3/8" clearance from the leaf. That stays mostly static when driving.

That's what I'm worried about also. Is when the springs compress under hard loading or backing out of a steep driveway.
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 09/28/14 04:52 PM

And don't forget to check both sides, since the diff is probably not exactly centered. You can always just have the wheels made with slightly different back spacing to get them centered just where you want on each side.

And with the load in the back, you could always have someone bounce the car or sit in the trunk to lower it a bit more while you look under it and see how things look.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 10/04/14 07:13 PM

I just moved the wheel over on the passenger's side. It seems things are slightly shifted toward the center line of the car. Without spacers, the tire was rubbing on the leaf springs. With the 0.200" (+5mm) spacers I had about 1" to the outer trim and 0.25" to the leaf spring. I took another look at the wheels, they're 17 x 8's and I think I measured them to be about 5.72" of bs which would put it at +30mm. However, taking a closer look at it I think I'd have some rubbing issues on the inner bulge of the wheel well. I'm going to need a little less offset and maybe I should just step down to 265/35/18's. How much is ample tire to outer trim clearance?

Odds are car isn't going to make it to Fall Fling. I just have way too much school work.
Posted By: buconine

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 10/10/14 01:57 PM

How goes it MuuMuu? I remember you being on a tight time frame for completion. Interested how things went as i am doing a similar build this winter on my valiant.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 10/11/14 05:11 AM

Quote:

How goes it MuuMuu? I remember you being on a tight time frame for completion. Interested how things went as i am doing a similar build this winter on my valiant.

Since the spindles took too long getting here and school has started, my original plans of making it to Fall Fling (Oct 25) were cancelled. Just too much school work and not enough energy to work on the car. I've got all the parts now except for the wheels and tires. Hopefully the car should be running by December.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 10/12/14 08:55 PM

So just doing a quick search, based off of my measurements, it seems like I should be able to make the Enkei PF01's to fit with an 18 x 9.5" wheel. They come in both a +15mm offset and a +35mm offset. Any of these tires (Hancook R-S3's) will fit on the wheel:

245/40/18
265/35/18
265/40/18
275/35/18
285/35/18

It all depends on how tight I want everything to fit in the wheel wells.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand...28%2B4294920230

I just need to find some time to get the front end together. I may have some later tonight. Maybe I'll be able to squeeze some time in during the week after work and school.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 10/12/14 10:22 PM

R-S3 285/35-18 Square Setup

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 10/12/14 10:23 PM

Quote:

R-S3 285/35-18 Square Setup

Ideal... But very very tight fit.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 10/12/14 10:31 PM

It will fit just add camber
R-S3's love camber

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 10/12/14 10:46 PM

Quote:

It will fit just add camber
R-S3's love camber

No camber for the rears.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 10/12/14 11:17 PM

I see a spacer in the rear with the 35mm offset in your near future.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 10/12/14 11:22 PM

Quote:

I see a spacer in the rear with the 35mm offset in your near future.

I sent you a reply in my thread on FABO. Here is his response and mine so other people can comment...

Quote:

I also dont see how you think a 15mm offset will have any chance of fitting in the rear without getting SS/AA on your quarter panels. 25mm MAYBE, 15? No f-ing way. I ran a 10 wide with a 43mm offset and had about an inch of outer clearance WITH bulged and rolled lips. That was with a stock A-body rear with drum brakes, your rear is even wider???

The wheel I used for mock up was 17 x 8" and had a +30mm offset on it (measured and looked it up) with a bulged out 275/40/17 tire. I stacked washers up to about -5mm and had maybe .25"-.5" between the springs and .75"-1" between the outer trim depending on which side of the vehicle you were on. I don't see where my calculations are wrong. Rimsntires even states that the tire should be about .4" closer to the outer quarter panel which should give me adequate clearance. Am I right, or am I missing something here?

Attached picture 8298297-Untitled.png

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 10/12/14 11:51 PM

FABO thread... There's some info there that's not on here.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=290394

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 10/13/14 05:56 AM

So 72Swinger has shown me the light of my errors. Since the wheels I used to mock up the tire were only 8" wide, they brought the section width down to about 10"... Meaning, my tire options now are only going to be a 245/40/18 or a 255/35/18 on a 9" wide wheel. Nobody makes a 255/40/18 in an "Extreme Performance Summer" tire except Yokohama. Lame.

So the closest wheels to fitting straight off the market are going to be the Drag Wheels, again. At least their cheap.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...4&autoview=SKU

There's also the Enkei RP03 that comes in a +18mm and a +40mm (have to get the fronts together to make sure it fits) that may work. I'd just have to get it from a different vendor as Summit doesn't hold the +40mm offset.

http://www.enkei.com/rp03.shtml#
http://www.enkei.com/size_chart/RP03.pdf

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 10/13/14 06:39 AM

A couple thoughts Samy. 1st I want everyone to remember every time you change the WIDTH of your Rim, the offset number you will need changes. A +15 offset on an eight inch wheel has a different backspacing from a +15 offset on a nine inch wheel. 2nd remember the section widths of same size tires from different manufacturers can vary quite a bit, sometimes more than the 1/2 inch a different width rim will make (i.e. A 265 Falken on an 8.5 inch rim might have a wider section width than a 265 Dunlop on a nine inch rim). 3rd Michelin makes a Pilot Super Sport in a 255/40/18 which is an excellent road course and street tire, I won a couple late model Goodguys auto crosses with Super Sports, and I get them used off Craigslist for cheap...

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 10/13/14 06:47 AM

Quote:

A couple thoughts Samy. 1st I want everyone to remember every time you change the WIDTH of your Rim, the offset number you will need changes. A +15 offset on an eight inch wheel has a different backspacing from a +15 offset on a nine inch wheel. 2nd remember the section widths of same size tires from different manufacturers can vary quite a bit, sometimes more than the 1/2 inch a different width rim will make (i.e. A 265 Falken on an 8.5 inch rim might have a wider section width than a 265 Dunlop on a nine inch rim). 3rd Michelin makes a Pilot Super Sport in a 255/40/18 which is an excellent road course and street tire, I won a couple late model Goodguys auto crosses with Super Sports, and I get them used off Craigslist for cheap...

I knew the first and second point (part of the reason why I disregard bs and always check on tirerack for the tire specs). Which Michelin Super Sport Tire is it? It seems like they just released a new one.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 10/13/14 08:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I knew the first and second point (part of the reason why I disregard bs and always check on tirerack for the tire specs). Which Michelin Super Sport Tire is it? It seems like they just released a new one.

This is a good test of 200 treadwear tires vs the 300 treadwear super sport:

http://www.hotrod.com/feature_stories/1401_the_best_200_treadwear_tires_test/

Remember this was just a couple Autocross laps, the 300 treadwear Supersports compare even better on a longer course where their consistency pays off. Tire rack sells them here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Super+Sport

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 10/13/14 08:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is a good test of 200 treadwear tires vs the 300 treadwear super sport:

http://www.hotrod.com/feature_stories/1401_the_best_200_treadwear_tires_test/

Remember this was just a couple Autocross laps, the 300 treadwear Supersports compare even better on a longer course where their consistency pays off. Tire rack sells them here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Super+Sport

I saw them on Tirerack. Seems like I may be sold...

So does everyone think my offset numbers, wheel selection, and tire sizes agree with the information I have presented? Do you guys think a 26" tire be too tall?

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 10/30/14 06:28 PM

Here is a pic from the weekend of 18x10 front and rear, with 285/35/18 all around...

Attached picture 8316132-image.jpg

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 10/31/14 06:02 AM

Quote:

Here is a pic from the weekend of 18x10 front and rear, with 285/35/18 all around...

Yeah, I was super angry I wasn't able to make it (even in the Scion). Those wheels look much better than the other torq thrust style Mustang wheels.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 10/31/14 09:11 AM

How did you do Tom? That thing should be on rails! Or those tires the Super Sports or Ventus? Also what is your front camber?

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 10/31/14 02:06 PM

Those tires are RS3 and I'm guessing 2° camber

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 10/31/14 03:21 PM

Quote:

How did you do Tom? That thing should be on rails! Or those tires the Super Sports or Ventus? Also what is your front camber?

The car is really coming alive on the Hankook R-S3s, it turns in beautifully. Camber is 2.75. At the Hotchkis Autocross on Saturday I finished 5th out of 20 cars in the old car class. The gearing with the A833 OD hurts it at times, 1st is too low, 2nd is too tall. Hotchkis Dan got in and turned a lap that was good enough for 3rd, behind only a 1964 Corvette body that was mounted on a new ZR1 chassis/engine and the TCI Camaro.
On Sunday finished 3rd out of 12, again losing to cars with a lot more gears and HP...

Attached picture 8316887-image.jpg

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 10/31/14 05:26 PM

So any other stock suspension cars were in the dust basically.
Posted By: Trojmn

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 11/01/14 04:40 AM

Quote:

The car is really coming alive on the Hankook R-S3s, it turns in beautifully. Camber is 2.75.

Any temp data? RS3v2 REALLY starts working at 120F ;-) 2.75^ is surprising. I'm just now started to turn my a-body. For reference I use less than that on my mc-strut g-street FWD.

What is your suspension setup Tom?

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 11/01/14 05:25 AM

All Hotchkis TVS, Fox adjustables. It was definitely cooler Sunday, could have used more temp! [image][/image]

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 11/02/14 05:29 PM

Sorry if i missed it on an earlier post.
What is the rear setup on your valiant? Minitub or offset shackles? Really like the look with the 285's. Any front fender clearance issues with the big tires in the fronts? Getting ready to start ordering parts for mine and am planning a similar wheel size and suspension setup. Thanks!

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 11/02/14 07:19 PM

Quote:

What is the rear setup on your valiant? Minitub or offset shackles? Really like the look with the 285's. Any front fender clearance issues with the big tires in the fronts? Getting ready to start ordering parts for mine and am planning a similar wheel size and suspension setup. Thanks!

I don't recall if he has offset shackles, but his fenders are flared, subtly.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 11/02/14 08:07 PM

Quote:

Samy is correct, stock rear spring location, no tubs. Front and rear fenders pushed out to fit 285 tires on 10 inch wheels. I'm trying 305 on 19x10.5 rims in the rear this week...
[image][/image]

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 11/03/14 01:40 AM

I think i saw the thread on cutting and portapowering the 1/4's. I'm out on that one, way out of my skill level. Guess i'm back to the can i fit 275/35r18's with just offset perches quest...

Thanks for the info! Your car looks amazing with the big tires on it.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 11/21/14 06:11 AM

Found the Enkei RP03's (18x9, +40mm and +18mm offsets) online for the cheapest price I could find them for from what seems to be a very good vendor (great online reviews). If the +18mm are still too close to the leaf springs (which I don't think it will), then I'll add a spacer (was trying to get the smallest spacer possible). I'm just curious if I should make the purchase now so they'll be here by the time I finish finals in 3 weeks.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 11/21/14 06:28 AM

Quote:

Nobody makes a 255/40/18 in an "Extreme Performance Summer" tire except Yokohama. Lame.

Tire is RT615k 255/40-18; front wheel is SVE Drift sold by Late Model Restoration 18x9 ($150 each), 6.38" Backspacing (for a 2005-2014 Mustang)

-Michael

Attached picture 8337577-P82A04131.jpg

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 11/21/14 06:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Nobody makes a 255/40/18 in an "Extreme Performance Summer" tire except Yokohama. Lame.

Tire is RT615k 255/40-18; front wheel is SVE Drift sold by Late Model Restoration 18x9 ($150 each), 6.38" Backspacing (for a 2005-2014 Mustang)

-Michael

I found out Michelin Super Sports come in a 255/40/18. It definitely looks good. The wheels that I'm looking into purchasing seem to have backspacing of about 6.6" which is about +6mm more offset than yours. Luckily, we both have the same front brake package.
Posted By: Trojmn

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 11/22/14 02:12 AM

Quote:

All Hotchkis TVS, Fox adjustables. It was definitely cooler Sunday, could have used more temp! [image][/image]

damn this thread!!!! i need more tire ;-)

CAM-T PAX =0.825

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 11/22/14 02:46 AM

Yes you do! Tightened the rear sway bar, and went up to 305/30 tires on 19x10.5 wheels. Rear end was much better, won my first CAM race this year...

Attached picture 8338256-image.jpg

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 11/22/14 03:59 PM

Quote:

Yes you do! Tightened the rear sway bar, and went up to 305/30 tires on 19x10.5 wheels. Rear end was much better, won my first CAM race this year...

Congrats!!! Thats awesome man

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 11/23/14 02:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Congrats!!! Thats awesome man

Thanks! It's always fun winning in the only Mopar!

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 11/24/14 04:53 AM

I just placed my order on wheels. I'm wondering if I should order 245/40/18's and start by there or just stick with the 255/40/18's and fiddle around. Remeasuring, I think I'm going to need some small spacers but as long as I have good thread engagement, I think I should be fine. I can't afford to have the wheel hit the frame rails due to brake lines.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 11/24/14 04:59 AM

What wheels? Don't be holding out on us now, I would definitely go with the 255's.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 11/24/14 05:03 AM

Quote:

What wheels? Don't be holding out on us now, I would definitely go with the 255's.

The same ones I've been talking about. Enkei RP03's, 18 x 9's, +40mm for the front, +18mm for the rears. I think I may need +5mm spacers up front and maybe a tiny one out back. From my measurements on the rear, the new wheels will put the tire about 0.400" away from the leaf springs, so a super skinny guy just to move things out a little bit shouldn't hurt too much. We'll see when I mock them up.

Attached picture 8340174-RP03-SBC.jpg

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 11/24/14 05:08 AM

Awesome those will look good! I thought Enkei made those with a 35mm bs also?

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 11/24/14 05:15 AM

Quote:

Awesome those will look good! I thought Enkei made those with a 35mm bs also?

They did in an 8.5" wide wheel. The good thing about these wheels is that their going to weigh about 18.3 lbs a piece. They're cast, I believe, but they're made out of an aircraft grade aluminum. I'm curious how they're going to look as all of the pictures I've seen of them were on lowered and super-cambered imports. Attached is all the specs on the RP03's.

Attached File
8340200-RP03.pdf  (120 downloads)

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 11/24/14 05:25 AM

Enkei's are good wheels no doubt.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 11/25/14 04:12 AM

Got some bad news today... The distributor (THMotorsports) called me up and said when he went to go order the wheels from Enkei, that they were discontinued. So, now I'm back to square one, sorta. He recommended I take a look at SSR Wheels (they're pricey), and if needed be, he may try calling Enkei again and try working something out so I can get the correct sized and offset wheel.

On the plus side, Dr Diff sent in my new spindles that just arrived today and tires should be in on Wednesday, if not next week.

I just tried searching all over the web for wheels and can't really find much that would utilize no spacers besides this: http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand...;SortOrder=Desc

The next best offset I can find is +24mm and the cheapest alternative would be the American Muscle website or I could get quality Enkei's. However, odds are, I'd need like a 3/8" spacer.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 11/25/14 05:26 AM

I'm pretty fond of these. EBay 251680469805

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 11/25/14 05:36 AM

Quote:

I'm pretty fond of these. EBay 251680469805

They look good but only come in a +35 or +45mm backspacing. I'd need like a 20mm spacer... Almost all of SSR's wheels in 18 x 9 are +35mm offset or higher.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 11/27/14 04:01 AM

Tires came in last night and holy crap do they look bad @$$. I'm still on the hunt for wheels. Would it be all that bad trying to use an 8.5" wheel? It still fits within the tire specs.

Edit: And as I've been slowly figuring out... No one makes an 18 x 9" wheel. Literally, every wheel manufacturer's page I go to skips straight from 8.5" to 9.5".

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 11/28/14 10:42 PM

Anyways, I found some wheels that will fit my application, they cost more than the RP03's, but I called the distributor up and he's going to check with the wheel manufacturer on Monday to see if the wheel manufacturer has them in stock, as he only has the rears on him and I don't wait 6 months for wheels. He said, if needed, be he'd even cut the price down on these wheels so that they'd be cheaper than what I would have paid for the RP03's. Talk about awesome customer service!

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 12/07/14 09:12 PM

This is what 285 front and 305 rear look like, winning last weekend...

Attached picture 8354497-image.jpg

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 12/07/14 09:16 PM

Quote:

Nice! By a good 1.5 seconds. How does the larger tires in the back feel vs a square setup?

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 12/07/14 10:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nice! By a good 1.5 seconds. How does the larger tires in the back feel vs a square setup?

Samy I went full tight on the rear Swaybar and changed to the 305/30/19 Hankooks on 10.5 inch wheels and it was a beast, particularly in the slaloms. The rear just stuck. I would recommend squeezing in the most rear tire possible...

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 12/07/14 10:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Samy I went full tight on the rear Swaybar and changed to the 305/30/19 Hankooks on 10.5 inch wheels and it was a beast, particularly in the slaloms. The rear just stuck. I would recommend squeezing in the most rear tire possible...

Tom, did you have to do any mini tubbing to the inner wheel well?

Did you remove the double wall on the outer wheelhouse?

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 12/07/14 10:16 PM

Way to represent the Tbar brigade Tom!

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 12/08/14 12:42 AM

Quote:

Way to represent the Tbar brigade Tom!

Thanks! It's always fun winning... Inner wheel well is stock, outer fender has been pushed out and massaged with a pneumatic tool, lips folded over flush...

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 12/08/14 12:53 AM

Quote:

.... Inner wheel well is stock, outer fender has been pushed out and massaged with a pneumatic tool, lips folded over flush...

Did you flatten/slice the double wall on the outside?

This is after I rolled the lip up. The outerside of the inner wheelhouse starts turning inwards.

Looking upwards

Do you have this ridge/lump on your Valiant?

Attached picture 8354725-OptimaRear8_1_10TireFit1OuterWhlHseRidge.jpg

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 12/08/14 05:09 AM

Quote:

Edit: And as I've been slowly figuring out... No one makes an 18 x 9" wheel. Literally, every wheel manufacturer's page I go to skips straight from 8.5" to 9.5".

SVE Drift wheels on my car, they cost $150-$160 each. Sold for Mustangs... by Late Model Restoration. I mixed and matched years to get the size and offset I wanted.

Fits 1994-2004 Model Year Mustang
Size: 18x9
Offset: +24mm
Backspacing: 5.95
Lug Pattern: 5x114.3
Weight: 24 lbs

Size: 18x10
Offset: +22mm
Backspacing: 6.36
Weight: 25 lbs

If you need deeper offset, then the 2005-2014 Mustang is:
18x9"
Offset - +35mm
Backspacing - 6.38"
Weight - 23lbs

18x10"
Offset - +43mm
Backspacing - 7.20"
Weight - 24lbs

-Michael

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 12/08/14 05:21 AM

Quote:

Do you have this ridge/lump on your Valiant?

Unless you did some significant modification and an aftermarket style tub all our cars have a similar "lump", this is where the outer wheelhouse kicks out to attach to the quarter.

Here is a picture of mine. Car was minitubbed by putting a new inner wheelhouse on and spanning the 3" gap with a flat piece of metal. We also trimmed and rolled the lip where it needed clearance at the top edge.

-Michael

Attached picture 8355094-wheelwell.jpg

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 12/08/14 05:24 AM

I'll get you guys some pics in the AM

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 12/08/14 05:33 AM

Mine doesn't have THAT much of one.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 12/08/14 05:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

SVE Drift wheels on my car, they cost $150-$160 each. Sold for Mustangs... by Late Model Restoration. I mixed and matched years to get the size and offset I wanted.

18x9"
Offset - +35mm
Backspacing - 6.38"
Weight - 23lbs

18x10"
Offset - +43mm
Backspacing - 7.20"
Weight - 24lbs

-Michael

I think I may need to go this route with the 18 x 9's and the +24mm and +35mm offsets, but I don't think I'm seeing them on AMR's website.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 12/08/14 05:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

18x9"
Offset - +35mm
Backspacing - 6.38"
Weight - 23lbs

18x10"
Offset - +43mm
Backspacing - 7.20"
Weight - 24lbs

-Michael

I think I may need to go this route with the 18 x 9's and the +24mm and +35mm offsets, but I don't think I'm seeing them on AMR's website.

You have to be specific about the year on their site. Some wheels are only available for certain years. But you want 94-04 FRONTS for your rears and 05+ fronts for your fronts.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 12/08/14 06:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

18x9"
Offset - +35mm
Backspacing - 6.38"
Weight - 23lbs

18x10"
Offset - +43mm
Backspacing - 7.20"
Weight - 24lbs

-Michael

You have to be specific about the year on their site. Some wheels are only available for certain years. But you want 94-04 FRONTS for your rears and 05+ fronts for your fronts.

I didn't find SVE Drift wheels on their websites and I was looking for 18 x 9's on for both 94-04 (for my rears) and 05+ (for my fronts). Anyways, I think I found a Mustang wheel on Summit with the right offset that I'm going to order tomorrow. 18 x 9's, +24 for the rear and +33 for the fronts. I'll just use a spacer, and maybe some 3" studs and call it at that. Dealing with the other companies have been a pain.

I finish finals on Wed so it's soon time to get...

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 12/09/14 12:40 AM

I forgot the previous owner had done a little cutting along that line. My Fenders have essentially been reverse-tubbed, with inner fender metal being added to make up the gap where we pushed the fenders out...

Attached picture 8355740-image.jpg

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 12/09/14 12:40 AM

Another pic

Attached picture 8355741-image.jpg

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 12/09/14 12:42 AM

Resulting rear view:

Attached picture 8355744-image.jpg

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 12/09/14 01:39 AM

So, I ordered the Mustang wheels on Summit today. According to them, the wheels should be in before the end of the month, but they're being shipped by the manufacturer so who knows how long that will take.

Ironically, the salesman from THMotorsports called me today to see where we were at with regards to the Enkei wheels as he felt bad he was still sitting on my money. I told him I already disputed the charge last week. He told me I didn't need to and they would have given me a refund on the spot. I told him I called and left a message 3-4 times to see if he checked the availability of the wheels and got no response. He said he was going to give me a full refund that should be in my account by tomorrow and that he was going to try to make it up to me by marking down the wheels even more. I told him I made a purchase with Summit already and if that falls through, I'd give him a call. He felt really bad but understood and told me he was going to really mark down my next purchase as he felt really bad about this miscommunication on this one.

I wouldn't know what to get. Maybe racing seats or a smaller steering wheel? The guy sounded like a nice guy through the whole process and it honestly seemed like he just got sidetracked in the Black Friday hustle.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 12/09/14 01:55 AM

Yeah TH Motorsports is a good online parts company for the import stuff I can't get through Summit or Jegs.
They have always been competitive prices and I have placed many orders from them

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 12/09/14 02:10 AM

Quote:

Yeah TH Motorsports is a good online parts company for the import stuff I can't get through Summit or Jegs.
They have always been competitive prices and I have placed many orders from them

Yeah, this kind of stuff always happens to me. The new Enkei wheels I wanted (GTC01's) would have looked really good on the Dart. The wheels I ordered are pretty plain jane Torq-Thrust looking wheels, but it should work fine. I actually really like how the mock up wheel (17 x 8) with a 275/40/17 looks, but I wonder if that extra 1" in diameter and shorter sidewall will take away from the aggressiveness of the look... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/usw-251-9912

We'll see. Maybe after Christmas I'll give them a call and order the new seats and that steering wheel.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 12/09/14 02:40 AM

Samy, did I miss the post where you built a motor and trans for the car or is it still a worn out 273?

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 12/09/14 02:41 AM

Quote:

Samy, did I miss the post where you built a motor and trans for the car or is it still a worn out 273?

Still a worn out 273... I'm thinking of finding a replacement small block. But I've been slow on it as I've been waiting for this quarter at school to end and have been spending money on suspension, wheels, and tires.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 12/16/14 02:29 AM

So... I got a message from Summit on my phone. "The wheels you ordered have been discontinued. Unfortunately they don't offer a +0mm offset, but they do offer a +30mm offset which should push the wheel out about 1.1 inch."

I called them back and told them I didn't order a +0mm offset wheel. They checked my order and basically said, "Crap, we must have called the wrong person as we thought you did." Hopefully this means that the wheel is available and it should be shipped soon. I'm getting tired of every wheel I order being discontinued.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 12/16/14 02:35 AM

They also have their math wrong, going from 0 to +30 wouldn't move the wheel OUT.

Re: 275 Series Tires, A-bodies, and Offset Shackles - 12/16/14 02:44 AM

Quote:

They also have their math wrong, going from 0 to +30 wouldn't move the wheel OUT.

They phrased it very weird in the message... They said something like it would be closer to the street side of the car.

I don't really have my hopes up but
© 2024 Moparts Forums