Moparts

Hotchkis UCA Rod End Dust Boots Installation

Posted By: MuuMuu101

Hotchkis UCA Rod End Dust Boots Installation - 09/13/14 01:25 AM

What's the best or proper way to install the rod end dust boots for my UCA? I heard they're a PIA to put on and, if not careful, can tear. I noticed it came with some grease.
Posted By: Dan@Hotchkis

Re: Hotchkis UCA Rod End Dust Boots Installation - 09/13/14 01:31 AM

I stretch out the holes a bit with some spreading pliers to get the rubber a bit flexible, lube them up and go at it. I run the threaded portion in through one of the "side" holes, and then get the rest over the head. Have fun!

Re: Hotchkis UCA Rod End Dust Boots Installation - 09/13/14 01:56 AM

Quote:

I stretch out the holes a bit with some spreading pliers to get the rubber a bit flexible, lube them up and go at it. I run the threaded portion in through one of the "side" holes, and then get the rest over the head. Have fun!

I just did this. Took some needle nose pliers and strectched the holes a little. Applied some grease to the boot openings and squeezed it through. I took a little chunk out of one of the side openings (it split slightly) but it doesn't seem like a big of a tear that it would let gunk in. 3 more to go...

Re: Hotchkis UCA Rod End Dust Boots Installation - 09/13/14 02:15 AM

Second one went on pretty easily with no tear. Spent extra time stretching the boot hole and then I used my needle nose to pull the boot over the rod end.

Update: Yeah, if you spend the time stretching out the rubber they become super easy. The last 3 had no tears.
© 2024 Moparts Forums