Moparts

Bilstein shocks

Posted By: can.al

Bilstein shocks - 08/12/14 10:15 PM

...who have added just Bilstein shocks to their otherwise stock suspension?
..wondering if Bilstein shocks alone would make a noticeable improvement in ride/handling?
Posted By: brads70

Re: Bilstein shocks - 08/12/14 10:28 PM

In most cases you get what you pay for. I had them then sold them again. Yes they are a improvement over regular run of the mill box store/jobber shocks. IMO They are great for a stock suspension street cruiser type of car for the money. In all honesty I can't say how much better they would be for an all stock suspension as I made a bunch of "improvements" to my suspension all at once.
Posted By: Tomswheels

Re: Bilstein shocks - 08/12/14 11:03 PM

I have Bilstiens on the front of my stock with a Swaybar 1969 Barracuda. What a huge improvement over the KYB shocks it had before. The Bilstiens should have been the first mod I did to the car.
Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: Bilstein shocks - 08/13/14 12:00 AM

I've got Bilstein's all the way around on my bone stock '68 Dart. I'm even running on 205/75/14 wheels all the way around with worn out bushings. Before them I had stock shocks that were shot up front and air shocks (that couldn't hold air) in the rear. On the freeway the car felt like a boat rocking in the waves. Now, it's an extremely nice ride. If it weren't for the tall tires, I'd almost say it feels like a newer car. Probably my best purchase so far.
Posted By: Trojmn

Re: Bilstein shocks - 08/13/14 01:27 AM

Quote:

...who have added just Bilstein shocks to their otherwise stock suspension?
..wondering if Bilstein shocks alone would make a noticeable improvement in ride/handling?

"otherwise stock" and "noticeable improvement" are the key words...

generally all of the premium performance OEM replacement class shocks are specifically meant to go onto a stock suspension and include healthy amounts of bump stiffness to compensate for the OEM softly sprung suspension. So when you replace the worn out 100K miles OEM shock or the bottom barrel "Gabriel" it feels AWESOME. You can get that same feeling with a larger swaybars and/or T-bars.

a major plus to Bilstien is that they are digressive valved, so that they while have alot of bump stiffness that helps turn-in response and slows weight transfer BUT if you hit a bump it resists compression progressively LESS which allows your suspension to collapse and soak up the hit to give you that nice smooth ride.

another plus in my book is they are also a rather durable monotube and have a lot of aftermarket support. *You* as in ANYONE can buy parts and valve stacks to rebuild and re-valve to fit your need. So if your planning on doing anything mildly serious its a good starting point IMO.
Posted By: EWJ

Re: Bilstein shocks - 08/13/14 02:23 AM

I have them on my stock suspension 1969 GTX and love them: they replaced a set of stock Monroe shocks (which I installed new and used for 3K miles). Huge difference over generic replacement shocks and better than KYBs- which I've run in a few cars over the years.
Posted By: can.al

Re: Bilstein shocks - 08/13/14 02:49 AM

i am installing them on my current project, but it also has other suspension upgrades.
just handling these shocks they appear to be very hi quality pieces and it looks like they alone could make a noticeable improvement.
Posted By: dangina

Re: Bilstein shocks - 08/13/14 08:42 AM

I believe they are valved for the stock spring rates, just a jump in added improvement, known many guys who bought them and absolutely love them, but they too are running stock suspension. Good money if your not looking to go any further than that.
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: Bilstein shocks - 08/15/14 04:57 AM

Does anybody have the part number for the front Bilstein shocks? I'm thinking about getting a set for my front shocks. Firm Feel website does not give the part number.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Bilstein shocks - 08/15/14 07:01 AM

I want to get a set for my 2007 Ram. They are on the Summit racing site but are a month out!

Re: Bilstein shocks - 08/15/14 07:21 AM

Summit doesn't list them for our cars. That's why I'm asking what the part numbers are.

Re: Bilstein shocks - 08/15/14 10:59 AM

just phone dick at firm feel - he's a nice guy...
Posted By: feets

Re: Bilstein shocks - 08/15/14 04:15 PM

Quote:

He is a little higher in price than some other outlets but I plan on buying mine from him.

Dick went through all kinds of trouble to try to find a matching rear shock for the Imperial but it doesn't exist.

When the time comes to do the work he will get my business.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Bilstein shocks - 08/15/14 06:09 PM

Quote:

Does anybody have the part number for the front Bilstein shocks? I'm thinking about getting a set for my front shocks. Firm Feel website does not give the part number.

I'll assume it's for the front of your 70 Charger?....#55R082 $228 from PST

Mike

Attached picture 8241156-moparshock.jpg

Re: Bilstein shocks - 08/15/14 06:25 PM

Thanks. Is that the same part number for Firm Feel or Summit?
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Bilstein shocks - 08/15/14 07:52 PM

Quote:

Thanks. Is that the same part number for Firm Feel or Summit?

Not the same part number for FF, $200 there.
Posted By: DeMopuar

Re: Bilstein shocks - 08/16/14 12:20 AM

For an E body the part numbers are 55-R082 for the fronts and 55-R093 for the rears.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Bilstein shocks - 08/16/14 03:07 PM

Quote:

Summit doesn't list them for our cars. That's why I'm asking what the part numbers are.

CALL Summit, and supply the mfg's part number, Summit carries Bilstein Shocks
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: Bilstein shocks - 08/16/14 04:16 PM

Quote:

I have them on my stock suspension 1969 GTX and love them: they replaced a set of stock Monroe shocks (which I installed new and used for 3K miles). Huge difference over generic replacement shocks and better than KYBs- which I've run in a few cars over the years.

Wow Ed, must be nice to have all that dough
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Bilstein shocks - 08/26/14 08:42 AM

I have the RCD Bilstein shocks on my '69 Convertible. It has stock R/T rear springs and sway bar, stock front end and sway bar, and a slightly larger 0.96" T-Bars. It rides good, not real stiff. I thought the shocks would be a bit stiffer like the KYBs on my Charger.
For my stock suspension, I should have just used the KYBs and saved $300.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: Bilstein shocks - 09/04/14 04:24 AM

The big advantage of the Bilsteins is their damping especially in the extended position. The only shock close to them in ride/handling for a street performance car are the Konis...
Yes, they are expensive but will last a long time.

Just my $0.02...
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Bilstein shocks - 09/04/14 04:29 AM

Quote:

When dangina tells ya to phone dick at firm feel... Well ya know things are gettin wierd.

Just sayin

Re: Bilstein shocks - 09/04/14 05:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

When dangina tells ya to phone dick at firm feel... Well ya know things are gettin wierd.

Just sayin

me:

Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Bilstein shocks - 09/23/14 11:28 PM

Stop dicking around guys. This is already a shocking topic and might hurt some firm feelings...

In the mean time...
I just upgraded the rear shocks on my daily '73 Dart. Went from Monroe Sensatrac Loadlevelers to Bilsteins.
Quite a difference.

Some short remarks that came to mind after the first trip with the new shocks;
Car feels firmer, more controlled suspensionmovements over speedbumps, feels more secure in corners at speed, modern like handling.

Since the Bilsteins don't have a helperspring around them, I would've expected a bit more suspension drop coming off a speedbump, but there's nothing of that at all. The shocks control/dampen the car's downward movement so much better, the springs don't even compress that much, so the springs actually 'feel' a little stronger than before.

Another thing which became way more obvious now, is how soft/cheap the front KYB-shocks feel, compared to the rears now.
The front now definitly need to be upgraded and for this I've got a set of Hotchkis adjustable shocks coming my way.
I tend to think now better shocks will probably take away the 'feeling' I need bigger torsionbars in the car. It has 1" JustSuspension bars at the moment.

Posted By: AndyF

Re: Bilstein shocks - 09/24/14 12:50 AM

I put Bilstein shocks on my Ram pickup truck when I bought it. The factory shocks were worthless. They let the truck continue to bounce after a bump while the Bilsteins tie it right down.
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Bilstein shocks - 09/24/14 09:37 PM

Having encountered most of the speedbumps, roads and some of the freeways I usually do on my daily commutes I can safely say the Bilsteins on the rear axle already make the car handle like a modern higher-end luxury car.
Can't wait until the Hotchkis front shocks arrive.
Posted By: BcudaChris

Re: Bilstein shocks - 06/20/16 11:07 PM

So, I installed these all the way around the 73 Barracuda, along with some 1.12 inch bars (following the installation of a ART torque box/SFC/torsion bar mount reinforcement). Wow, what a difference.

Anyway, the fronts have no dust boot. I'm sure there is a scraper in the seal or something, but did anyone feel the need to put generic boots on the fronts?
© 2024 Moparts Forums