Moparts

Struck out on dakota, scored this instead

Posted By: buconine

Struck out on dakota, scored this instead - 07/19/14 05:00 AM

Couldn't find a dakota r/t in my price range that wasn't killed but i found this 69 valiant here on the classifieds. Ended up being 40 miles away and a great deal.

Car has:
69 383 4bbl, 727, 3:23sg, 16:1 ff manual box, manual kh discs and a recent front end rebuild(ball joints, tie rods, torsion bars)still has small bolt pattern setup. Has front 225/60 rear 245/60r14 bfgs

Goal is street/strip/autox and some day down the line some track events. Once i get all the driveability/electrical bugs worked out what are the best bang for the buck upgrades? Planning subframe connectors when i have the floors patched this winter.

Thanks for any advice!
Chris

Attached picture 8212818-v100.jpg
Posted By: amxautox

Re: Struck out on dakota, scored this instead - 07/19/14 05:07 AM

some autocross classes and organizations don't allow for the sub frame connectors to be welded to the actual floorboards of the car, only the ends to the sub frames. be sure to do your research.

Re: Struck out on dakota, scored this instead - 07/19/14 05:28 AM

I was going to try for the cam class. I don't know how competitive it would be in street prepared. Really need to talk to the local region guys and see where the car fits.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Struck out on dakota, scored this instead - 07/19/14 05:46 AM

We made enough mods to my son's Barracuda that, even though it was street driven, we had to compete in CP (otherwise known as Heavy Metal). We couldn't compete with truly prepared cars, but did well against the entire field which included some "popular" autocross cars. We were running a 383/4sp in a 67 Barracuda...
Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: Struck out on dakota, scored this instead - 07/19/14 06:43 AM

I've seen a couple videos of Jim's son's Barracuda from way back when and it handled pretty well. As for upgrades, if it were me, I'd probably add larger T-bars (at least 1.06"), get 17 or 18" wheels and tires (Coy's make a set and Motech sells Show Wheels in sbp), and a good pair of shocks (Bilsteins or Fox).
Posted By: Tomswheels

Re: Struck out on dakota, scored this instead - 07/20/14 01:07 AM

We'll since CAM was created for this kind of car, I wouldn't hesitate, I just built my 67 to run CAM and finished 2nd out of 12 cars in its debut (.4 sec away from first...). Start with a front Swaybar and some sticky 200 treadware tires and go have fun!

Re: Struck out on dakota, scored this instead - 07/20/14 02:30 AM

Got front tires on it today so i could finally take it for a shake down run. Amazing how much better it drove without a slipped belt on the front. Need to figure out why it won't upshift into third next. I'm assuming the kickdown linkage is binding/out of adjustment.

Are there any bolt on sway bars for our cars?
Any interior restrictions in cam? Front bench is shot and thought i would throw some aftermarket seats in it if i didn't move me to a higher class.

Thanks for the info. Can't wait to get the bugs out of this thing at take it to the races next month.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Struck out on dakota, scored this instead - 07/20/14 02:54 AM

You have some good bones to work with there! There are several Valiant builds you can check out to learn what parts and combos others have done well with.

Re: Struck out on dakota, scored this instead - 07/20/14 03:23 AM

Plenty of bolt on Sway Bar options, again, I'd start with front only, then good 200 treadwear tires, then shocks. The only interior restriction in CAM is that you have to have one, so seats that keep you centered are a great idea. CAM allows any mods, as long as you are over 3000 lbs, have all exterior body panels and an interior, and use 200 or higher treadwear tires. Similar to the Goodguys Autocross rules, very lenient to a lot of mods!
Posted By: ahy

Re: Struck out on dakota, scored this instead - 07/20/14 03:32 AM

There are plenty of choices for sway bars. I worked with Firm Feel on my stuff.

If/when you think of upgrade to BBP wheels it would be a good time to upgrade brakes. The KH work fine but are hard/a bit expensive to service. Late A spindles, 11.75 rotors and matching calipers would be a good upgrade and easily serviced (see Mopar Action Diskotech).

Re: Struck out on dakota, scored this instead - 07/20/14 04:09 AM

would a sway bar for the current suspension work with the newer suspension?

I'm going to have to run the current setup for awhile and add little things while i build up funds. I can see the next step steamrolling into a big expense. bbp front/rear and wheels/tires is going to be pricey but worth every penny in the long run.

Re: Struck out on dakota, scored this instead - 07/20/14 04:23 AM

Need a really poorly done six pack hood for a 68 valiant? Need to find a correct year hood for mine eventually.

Love the red brick. I was actually reading the thread on your car when i found my 69. Beautiful car, best of luck with it!
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Struck out on dakota, scored this instead - 07/20/14 09:24 AM

Not upshifting to 3rd could be just the gearshift linkage not being adjusted properly with the shifter. I would start by checking this first.

Nice little car.
Posted By: Sneke_Eyez

Re: Struck out on dakota, scored this instead - 07/20/14 06:22 PM

Congrats, I've always liked that style of Valiant. I was looking for one of those when I bought my 74 Dart, but I just couldn't find one.
Posted By: IndyDave

Re: Struck out on dakota, scored this instead - 07/20/14 06:26 PM

Build the car the way you want and run CAM. We created the class for folks like you.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Struck out on dakota, scored this instead - 07/20/14 07:44 PM

Quote:

Build the car the way you want and run CAM. We created the class for folks like you.

Curious question about CAM, with its liberal rule set, why no alcohol or alcohol/water injection allowed?

Water injection is my plan for avoiding detonation without going to the widely variable and sometimes unavailable E85 solution for high compression.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Struck out on dakota, scored this instead - 07/20/14 09:54 PM

I would say you hit a home run with that little sweetheart. Also a testament to me needing to check freakin Craiglist more!

Re: Struck out on dakota, scored this instead - 07/20/14 10:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Curious question about CAM, with its liberal rule set, why no alcohol or alcohol/water injection allowed?

Water injection is my plan for avoiding detonation without going to the widely variable and sometimes unavailable E85 solution for high compression.

I don't know where you got that? Right now it's not addressed specifically in the rules as to what you can use but since the cars are to street legal, licensed and insured, most regions would default to the fuel rules for Street, and Street Touring rules which say that it must be a fuel federally approved for highway use on public highways.

Re: Struck out on dakota, scored this instead - 07/21/14 12:52 AM

Found it on here, at the bottom of the page under safety:

http://www.solomatters.com/introducing-classic-american-muscle-cam

Have to admit, I'm not an SCCA member, have not researched this further than a quick google, and until my car hits the pavement, I likely won't be attending any of their events. I do see they have a few cars running CAM in my region, Rocky Mtn, so it is available when I decide to go, but if the h2o injection eliminates me as a competitor, then I will only be running for experience

Re: Struck out on dakota, scored this instead - 07/21/14 01:14 AM

Quote:

Found it on here, at the bottom of the page under safety:

http://www.solomatters.com/introducing-classic-american-muscle-cam

Have to admit, I'm not an SCCA member, have not researched this further than a quick google, and until my car hits the pavement, I likely won't be attending any of their events. I do see they have a few cars running CAM in my region, Rocky Mtn, so it is available when I decide to go, but if the h2o injection eliminates me as a competitor, then I will only be running for experience

OK, that's from the General Regulations in the Solo Rulebook. Took me a while to find it. Those rules apply to all SCCA Solo classes. My guess why that rule is in place is due to fire concerns. SCCA Solo events are generally run without emergency equipment on scene. We do have basic safety equipment with us, firefighting equipment is limited to ABC extinguishers. While many of us are trained in the proper use of fire extinguishers putting out an alcohol fire can be tricky. Gasoline fires can be seen, alcohol fires cannot always.

Re: Struck out on dakota, scored this instead - 07/21/14 04:40 PM

So my water/meth injection uses basic windshield washer fluid, not pure alcohol. So I would not see it as a hazard any greater than any other washer fluid reservior, but the fact I'm using as a fuel enhancer means it cannot be used?
Posted By: feets

Re: Struck out on dakota, scored this instead - 07/21/14 07:37 PM

Quote:

Start with a front Swaybar and some sticky 200 treadware tires and go have fun!

I'd start with a rear sway bar. The front will encourage understeer to match with the already understeering nose heavy car.

Re: Struck out on dakota, scored this instead - 07/22/14 04:07 AM

I respectfully disagree. Unless you like doing donuts.
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: Struck out on dakota, scored this instead - 07/22/14 05:18 AM

Quote:

Couldn't find a dakota r/t in my price range that wasn't killed but i found this 69 valiant here on the classifieds. Ended up being 40 miles away and a great deal.

Car has:
73 383 4bbl, 727, 3:23sg, 16:1 ff manual box, manual kh discs and a recent front end rebuild(ball joints, tie rods, torsion bars)still has small bolt pattern setup. Has front 225/60 rear 245/60r14 bfgs

Goal is street/strip/autox and some day down the line some track events. Once i get all the driveability/electrical bugs worked out what are the best bang for the buck upgrades? Planning subframe connectors when i have the floors patched this winter.

Thanks for any advice!
Chris

Congrats on picking that car up I was looking at it, but am not in a position to buy, so good for you. There is a lot of potential in that package and I'd say subframe connectors, a roll bar and/or US Body source stiffening kit would be a first. I'd skip their subframe connectors, but the rest of the kit is worthwhile and can be purchased separately. Then tires and basic mods, sway bars/shocks upgraded springs and t-bars. I like those wheels but 14" is hard to get tires for
Posted By: feets

Re: Struck out on dakota, scored this instead - 07/22/14 06:50 PM

Quote:

Throttle modulation.

An autocross is a tight relatively low speed event. I've been around them a time or two as well.

The only way to make his car push harder than his current setup is to swap in a big front bar.
That thing will not want to turn under pressure. Add a rear bar to tighten up the front end. It will bring the car back to a more neutral state. A cheap 3/4" Addco bar would add quite a bit of life to that thing.

If it starts to get a bit pushy then slide one under the front.

Re: Struck out on dakota, scored this instead - 07/24/14 09:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Throttle modulation.

An autocross is a tight relatively low speed event. I've been around them a time or two as well.

The only way to make his car push harder than his current setup is to swap in a big front bar.
That thing will not want to turn under pressure. Add a rear bar to tighten up the front end. It will bring the car back to a more neutral state. A cheap 3/4" Addco bar would add quite a bit of life to that thing.

If it starts to get a bit pushy then slide one under the front.

Sounds like you know more about Abodys and Autocross than me. Must be my stellar driving that seemingly makes the opposite true when I'm actually in one auto crossing. I have a rear bar removed from my Cuda someone can have (free) it worked so well...

Re: Struck out on dakota, scored this instead - 07/25/14 04:01 AM

First box from year one came today. Got everything to make it stop drooling fuel out of the filler neck and fix the sending unit. Also picked up some cheapo tires for the rear. Planning on bbp swap next so didn't want to get good tires when i'll be upgrading wheels soon.

Any preferred brake kits or any to avoid? Quite a few choices out there..
Posted By: Pale_Roader

Re: Struck out on dakota, scored this instead - 07/25/14 11:22 AM

Pffft!

A 69 Valiant could never go fast around corners... . . .
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: Struck out on dakota, scored this instead - 07/26/14 01:49 AM

Quote:

First box from year one came today. Got everything to make it stop drooling fuel out of the filler neck and fix the sending unit. Also picked up some cheapo tires for the rear. Planning on bbp swap next so didn't want to get good tires when i'll be upgrading wheels soon.

Any preferred brake kits or any to avoid? Quite a few choices out there..

I'd talk to Cass, i.e. Dr Diff about your brake upgrades.
© 2024 Moparts Forums