Moparts

no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here

Posted By: PHJ426

no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/28/14 03:48 PM

Read that Tim's fully capable and proven track Valiant is for sale. No sense trying to duplicate it when you buy it for fraction of the cost of building your own.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/28/14 05:48 PM

If timing was better I would jump on it.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/28/14 05:51 PM

Where is it advertised here?

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/28/14 06:03 PM

The " here " part in the post subject line refers to "I'm surprised there is no talk here in this forum that Tim's Valiant is for sale. "

No it's not listed for sale on Moparts. The car was listed on the net.
Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/28/14 07:01 PM

Quote:

The " here " part in the post subject line refers to "I'm surprised there is no talk here in this forum that Tim's Valiant is for sale. "

No it's not listed for sale on Moparts. The car was listed on the net.

A link would be helpful, then. We can't discuss if we don't know details.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/28/14 08:16 PM

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/4539445481.html

Didn't really want the thread to get moved to the Ebay / CL section.....since this is where this car being for sale is best discussed.

The entire list of modifications to the car is detailed in the CL ad.
Posted By: 68cuda440

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/28/14 08:43 PM

Anyone have the link to the video of Tim's car being shot from the Ford Focus SVT?

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/28/14 08:45 PM

Quote:

Didn't really want the thread to get moved to the Ebay / CL section.....since this is where this car being for sale is best discussed.

Holy crap! If it's running and driving, I think I would actually buy a ticket to Oregon and drive Tim's Valiant back here for the price he's looking for.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/28/14 09:10 PM

Neat car, looks like a whole bunch of fun !
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/28/14 09:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Holy crap! If it's running and driving, I think I would actually buy a ticket to Oregon and drive Tim's Valiant back here for the price he's looking for.

I suspect it's running/driving. I saw the car on track several years ago. It was impressive then...
Posted By: AndyF

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/28/14 10:09 PM

Yes it is running and driving. He drove it out of my shop a few weeks ago. The car will go 150+ mph if you're willing to keep your foot in it.

The price is dirt cheap. I have over $20K in receipts for the engine alone. The brakes and chassis work that I did a couple years ago was another $8K. Total cost to build that car is more than $40K as it sits.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/28/14 10:17 PM

Suddenly I have the sudden urge to board a plane tonight, make a car purchase, and drive 1000 miles back home just in time to make it to work Monday morning. If only...
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/28/14 10:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I suspect it's running/driving. I saw the car on track several years ago. It was impressive then...

I'd say it is one (if not THE) the fastest street Mopar on an road course with stock type chassis and bolt on locations.

Over the Green Brick or Hotchkis Challenger (lower HP, no cage).

IMHO, Consulier's 74 Dart Sports would/could be the car that could take it. Much more extensive/$$$ cage/chassis foundation.

I hate talking about the sale of it. I wish Tim could keep it. Or AndyF could get it and keep it with one of the creators/collaborators.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/28/14 10:50 PM

Quote:

I'd say it is one (if not THE) the fastest street Mopar on an road course with stock type chassis and bolt on locations.

Over the Green Brick or Hotchkis Challenger (lower HP, no cage).

IMHO, Consulier's 74 Dart Sports would/could be the car that could take it. Much more extensive/$$$ cage/chassis foundation.

I feel like, if possible, this could be a moparts challenge? Kind of like Optima's but have a bunch of moparts people meet up and race.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/28/14 11:47 PM

Don't worry Steve, it's coming to a good home

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/28/14 11:51 PM

Quote:

Don't worry Steve, it's coming to a good home

So you going to flip it or rob the good/expensive parts off it for something else?

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/28/14 11:52 PM

Nope! Gonna keep it and drive it! But I will be getting rid of a Duster soon to pay for it.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/29/14 12:02 AM

Quote:

Nope! Gonna keep it and drive it! But I will be getting rid of a Duster soon to pay for it.

Hope you keep it for a while.

It's a lot of car to grow into. Tim didn't even get to run it much. I don't know if he ran it at the track at all with the new front sway bar setup. Or even with the new Milodon road race oil pan.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/29/14 12:03 AM

Quote:

Sweet! That's what I would have done.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/29/14 12:12 AM

Do you have a Passon 5 speed? If so, that is what the car needs to really be a dual threat. Have Doctor Diff change the 2.94 rear gears over to something in the upper 3's, add the Passon 5 speed and that car becomes a fire breather.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/29/14 12:17 AM

Quote:

Do you have a Passon 5 speed? If so, that is what the car needs to really be a dual threat. Have Doctor Diff change the 2.94 rear gears over to something in the upper 3's, add the Passon 5 speed and that car becomes a fire breather.

He does... The Passon 5-speed has a final gear ratio of 0.70:1. So, if my math is correct, even 4.10's would put it with an equivalent gear ratio as a standard 833 with a 1:1 ratio with 2.87 gears out back.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/29/14 12:18 AM

Quote:

AndyF, do you feel it's a bit compromised and undergeared for the track currently? Or overgeared for the street? Or?

Did Tim get to take it on the track with the Milodon pan and new sway bar setup?

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/29/14 12:19 AM

Yes, I could certainly do that. Ironically I also have a brand new 3.91 center section from Dr. Diff right now and as of today, have not installed the Passon unit in the Duster (was planned this week). I could easily toss in the stock 3 speed and leave the Duster more OEM.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/29/14 12:21 AM

Quote:

Yes, I could certainly do that. Ironically I also have a brand new 3.91 center section from Dr. Diff right now and as of today, have not installed the Passon unit in the Duster (was planned this week). I could easily toss in the stock 3 speed and leave the Duster more OEM.

Do it! Do it! Do it!

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/29/14 12:26 AM

Congratulations on the purchase Scott.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/29/14 12:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

AndyF, do you feel it's a bit compromised and undergeared for the track currently? Or overgeared for the street? Or?

Did Tim get to take it on the track with the Milodon pan and new sway bar setup?

The car is set up right now for PIR so the torque curve matches the track speed of approx. 60 mph on the tight corner to 150-160 mph down the front straight. That is why is has the super tall rear end gears. The super tall rear end gears are a little tough on the clutch life when driving around town.

Some 3.70 or 3.90 rear gears with a Passon 5 speed would make the car a stop light monster and still give it 160 mph top speed capability. It was one of things that we wanted to do with the car but just didn't have the budget. Hopefully the Passon 5 speed can handle the torque output of the 427. If so, then the car would be a serious threat to any Vette or Viper.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/29/14 12:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The car is set up right now for PIR so the torque curve matches the track speed of approx. 60 mph on the tight corner to 150-160 mph down the front straight. That is why is has the super tall rear end gears. The super tall rear end gears are a little tough on the clutch life when driving around town.

Some 3.70 or 3.90 rear gears with a Passon 5 speed would make the car a stop light monster and still give it 160 mph top speed capability. It was one of things that we wanted to do with the car but just didn't have the budget. Hopefully the Passon 5 speed can handle the torque output of the 427. If so, then the car would be a serious threat to any Vette or Viper.

IIRC from the Passon 5 speed thread, the transmission has been rigorously tested behind a big block in an A-body pulling lots of trips down the drag strip as well as some track time as well.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/29/14 12:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ok, that makes sense.

I believe you guys had a 2.44 1st gear close ratio trans in it once and it was a pain to launch on the street or something?

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/29/14 02:01 AM

Yes it used to have a close ratio 4 speed but last time Tim rebuilt the tranny he went with a wide ratio in order to get a little more first gear. Driving up onto the trailer killed the clutch at one race which was a bummer. Having a fifth gear would make the car much easier to drive around town and in the pits. But then you have to shift across the gate a couple of times which is a bit of a downside. It would be nice to have a H pattern for 2 thru 5 and then have a granny gear 1st for the pits and pulling on a trailer.
Posted By: kotacars

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/29/14 02:11 AM

Do you have any pics of the front sway bar up dates?

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/29/14 02:43 AM

I don't. Tim finished up the fabrication at his shop so I didn't get any final pictures. It looks great though, very clean, very strong and very simple.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/29/14 02:58 AM

So the only changes were the addition of the nascar front sway bar?
Posted By: 340duster340

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/29/14 03:10 AM

cool ride and congrats on the purchase. any pics of the cage and firewall to frame rail bars?
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/29/14 03:36 AM

WOW He's taking a blood bath on that. I've modeled my build after that car- the B engine withstanding. It's gotta be a tough decision to sell after putting all that work into it.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/29/14 04:18 AM

Quote:

WOW He's taking a blood bath on that. I've modeled my build after that car- the B engine withstanding. It's gotta be a tough decision to sell after putting all that work into it.

I agree. A gory blood bath.

Like going to an open casket funeral that should not be open casket.... It's just very tough to look at.

Tim and AndyF put so much effort and ideas into the car without really trying to get rich marketing a product or make a buck. And there was a emotional rollercoaster of successes and setbacks while pushing the envelop.

No offense or bad will to Scott that bought it. It's was fully for sale. Just sad circumstances.
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/29/14 04:52 AM

Quote:

Which Duster?

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/29/14 04:58 AM

Not the Duster Im building, the driver 340 4 speed car.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/29/14 07:44 AM

I must have missed it, but....
Why the fire sale? Is there some measure of desperation to force such a quick sale at this price?

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/29/14 07:57 AM

Quote:

I must have missed it, but....
Why the fire sale? Is there some measure of desperation to force such a quick sale at this price?

Not particularly quick/fire sale.

It's a car with a limited audience/buyers. Buyer has to be after similiar goals and understand what it takes to get them.

Not an easy car to sell in the current condtion. Doesn't look pretty and shiny. All purpose. No frills, no catchy B-S name given to the car, No Pro Touring/Bling B-S, no big "name" builder behind it, no clever PR team behind it. No one's going to pay the cost of all the trick inside stuff done to it. Just like most modified cars and race cars.

For instance this car sold for around $25-28K. And it's a numbers matching red/red formula S car. And it's got creature comforts and can back it self up at the track: http://www.carcraft.com/featuredvehicles/116_0507_1968_plymouth_barracuda_s340/ It would take an easy $10K+ to make the Valiant look like the Barracuda. And it would still be a 68 Valiant and not a 68 Formula S 340 4spd car.
Posted By: dangina

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/29/14 08:05 AM

oh why oh why am I just reading about this now????? what a killer price for a killer car.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/29/14 10:56 PM

Tim & Andy put together one heck of a little car, I've always admired it from afar and am super thrilled and honored to have the opportunity to be the next owner. Once I get it in the shop I'll be evaluating everything and getting to know the car. After that I'll form a game plan for any developmental changes.

I'm a happy guy!

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/29/14 11:36 PM

Congrats on the purchase Scott...

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/30/14 12:27 AM

A 3.91 rear gear with the Passon 5 speed would be a pretty good compromise. That combo would have a 10.5 overall first gear ratio which is maybe a tad steep but it should work. With the 0.70 OD ratio the top speed at 6000 rpm would be 165 mph. Not sure the engine can push the car that fast but it might. Tim has had the car to 155 mph and he said it had more in it so maybe it will go 165.

The carb is only a 650 so if a person really wants big numbers rather than drivability then there is another 20-30 hp available from putting a bigger carb on it.

Only problem I see is that the driveshaft wasn't designed for that rpm. With the 0.7 OD the shaft speed will be 8600 rpm at 6000 engine speed. I don't think the aluminum shaft can handle it so the car will probably need a carbon fiber shaft.
Posted By: RylisPro

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/30/14 01:51 AM

Why not a T56 Magnum?
Then one can drive the car to and from the track using a 6th gear!
Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/30/14 02:51 AM

That was a good deal.
I would leave the rear gear and put a GForce 5 speed with a steeper 1st gear.
That would keep drive shaft speed down.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/30/14 03:10 AM

I have a Doug Nash 5 speed in my car with the deep first gear and 1:1 fifth gear but those transmissions don't really fit in a Mopar. Besides not fitting, they are clunky and loud and generally a pain in the rear.

The Passon is a good compromise for a car like this. It is probably 20 lbs heavier than the trans that is in the car but the weight is close to the CG so it shouldn't upset anything. The driveshaft speed is just one thing to deal with. Carbon fiber shafts are expensive but certainly not a deal killer. Just part of the price of having a 150+ mph street car.

With the 3.91 gears the car will probably run mid-elevens at the drags. It isn't set up for drag racing but with those gears it would get out and go.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/30/14 03:21 AM

Even though I don't even have the car yet I can tell you this much, if it gets a trans swap it'll be the Passon, because it will fit, it's strong, and I already have it. 3.91's are an easy choice since I have a brand new complete Yukon based Dr. Diff unit already as well. If it needs something else down the road in either case I'll look at my other options when the time comes. Andy, what does a CF drive shaft run these days?

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/30/14 04:24 AM

Quote:

Not the Duster Im building, the driver 340 4 speed car.

The daily driver?

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/30/14 04:44 AM

Yes, that one. It's in to have the 340 side stripes and rear panel stripes added right now.

Attached picture 8192039-garage.jpg

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/30/14 07:40 AM

Is that the one I delivered for you? or was it the three speed car?

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/30/14 08:03 AM

Mark Williams 3.75" is $1034. http://markwilliams.com/driveshafts.aspx

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/30/14 08:06 AM

No Jim, the one I'm selling is it's near twin (but a 4 speed #'s matching car). The 3 speed car is still on the rotisserie, that one will be back on it's wheels again this week sometime short of any delays.

Attached picture 8192151-DusterGY33Speed.jpg

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/30/14 08:09 AM

Quote:

Mark Williams 3.75" is $1034. http://markwilliams.com/driveshafts.aspx

Looks like I'll be digging out the wallet again
Posted By: Uhcoog1

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/30/14 03:06 PM

Glad to see Tim's car went to a good home!

Scott- where will you be tracking the car?
Posted By: AlexP

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/30/14 03:34 PM

I think most of the talk about Tim's Valiant was between Wade and myself

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/30/14 03:36 PM

Most of the time right here in Spokane, but as time allows I'll likely drag it around to other West coast tracks.

*Wade.....I look forward to chatting with you at length down the road

Attached picture 8192270-SpokaneRaceway.jpg

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/30/14 04:14 PM

Quote:

Yes, that one. It's in to have the 340 side stripes and rear panel stripes added right now.

Boy oh boy, if I didn't have this GTS project going I would be tempted.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/30/14 04:23 PM

Yea it's kind of ironic "Mr. Numbers Matching Guy" is selling his only 100% #s car and buying a race car. Those who know me well know that as much as I love O.E. cars, I've been a racer forever too

See ya on the track!

Attached picture 8192310-Handling101.jpg

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/30/14 05:51 PM

Quote:

Yea it's kind of ironic "Mr. Numbers Matching Guy" is selling his only 100% #s car and buying a race car. Those who know me well know that as much as I love O.E. cars, I've been a racer forever too

See ya on the track!

Very cool

Attached picture 8192370-2007-05-03_038.jpg

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/30/14 07:45 PM

Quote:

See ya on the track!

Once you drive that car around a track at speed it will be in your blood. It's almost like drugs.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/30/14 08:03 PM

Well having driven a much lesser but similar car in Lemons racing I can assure you, I am already addicted

Attached picture 8192521-LemonsDuster2.jpg

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/30/14 08:35 PM

Would really be nice to see the front suspension up dates and how the cage is tighted into the chassis

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/30/14 08:38 PM

I'll post pics when it gets here. I plan to remove and replace the frame connectors since they are currently just welded in the front and rear and a couple other isolated spots. Will also likely be making some cage adds/mods. I just don't want to get far ahead of myself until I get it here.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 06/30/14 10:53 PM

Quote:

Well having driven a much lesser but similar car in Lemons racing I can assure you, I am already addicted

Maybe a visit to Bonneville?

http://www.saltflats.com/

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/01/14 12:28 AM

Quote:

See ya on the track!

Scott....that is what I was scratching my head thinking....isn't Scott a #'s matching guy....

You did call on the Viper brakes I sold last year though so I kinda had the idea the numbers thing is only part of the hobby for you.

All the best with the ownership and have fun with that Valiant that is what it was built for.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/01/14 12:47 AM

Yea, I've had a road race car in mind for quite some time now and a 67-69 Valiant topped my list (Green Brick style).

It's eventually going to need paint, what do you guys think of the factory color red but in a satin finish as opposed to gloss?

I was going to order a personalized plate for the red car today REDRUM but it was already taken
Posted By: 48Heap

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/01/14 12:51 AM

Think you will have it home and be able to bring it to the Mopar show in Spokane the evening of the 12th?

Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with the show, nor am I even a member of the club. I just want to see the car!

I have pictures of Tim's car that I found on the internet back in '07, always thought it was a great car and been very interested in it.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/01/14 12:59 AM

Sure I can bring it to the Spokane show as long as all goes as predicted upon it's arrival.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/01/14 01:06 AM

Would also like to know what this car feels like at speed 160mph and how it compairs to my setup what is the weight and % front to rear?

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/01/14 01:10 AM

For now only Tim or Andy could answer those questions

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/01/14 04:14 AM

Quote:

It's eventually going to need paint, what do you guys think of the factory color red but in a satin finish as opposed to gloss?

if your thinking of a satin finish you might want to look into plasti-dip. way cheaper than a paint job, and some of the effects they do are incredible. there is this guy on you-tube DYC (dipyourcar.com) that has all kinds of videos.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/01/14 04:27 AM

We didn't scale the car last time it was in my shop. Last notes I have were from 2010 when it was 3200 lbs and 55/45 distribution. The numbers should be better now since we removed weight and moved weight back. We started to get more aggressive on any weight that was in front of the CG but there is still a lot of weight that can come off the car. Just takes money and time.

A glass hood with a built in scoop would solve a number of issues. Probably need a cowl hood but a TA hood might work at 150+ mph. Not very many guys road race vintage Mopar muscle at 150 mph so not a lot of data out there on what works.

Attached picture 8193181-weigh.jpg

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/01/14 05:26 AM

Good suggestions but 2 things it will never have as long as I own it; a bed liner paint job, or a cowl hood.

But I have considered the 72 Dart/Demon or 70 TA hood, as well as a 67 Hemi hood scoop (somewhat large, but sturdy and not too tall for the looks of the car). The suede red paint was just a thought, that way I can stick with the original color, keep it looking low key yet serious, and it probably won't show the wear and tear from racing that a glossy paint shows

I really like the looks of this guys car, it's a big money car that doesn't likely see much track time but it looks wicked cool IMO

Attached picture 8193268-238291__1968-plymouth-valiant_p.jpg

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/01/14 07:12 AM

Quote:

We didn't scale the car last time it was in my shop. Last notes I have were from 2010 when it was 3200 lbs and 55/45 distribution. The numbers should be better now since we removed weight and moved weight back. We started to get more aggressive on any weight that was in front of the CG but there is still a lot of weight that can come off the car. Just takes money and time.

A glass hood with a built in scoop would solve a number of issues. Probably need a cowl hood but a TA hood might work at 150+ mph. Not very many guys road race vintage Mopar muscle at 150 mph so not a lot of data out there on what works.

Do you think a scooped hood would create more aero drag than advantages (if any) from: Cowl hood or air from factory cowl box or existing radiator support air?

Old nascar guys never ran scoops. Very little ran bulged hoods. The mid 70's Chargers did, but I wonder if that was just to get the rest of the hood lower/angled down for aero.

I think you could get aero advantage from blocking off the grille thats not directly in front of radiator. Like with a black sheet aluminum on backside of grille. Might still cool at speed. Experiment by adding blockage until gets hot.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/01/14 07:29 AM

Quote:

I think time might tell on the paint. It's patina is some of it's unique lore.

Run like it is. No need to complicate things now.

Don't know if it's even been on the track with new oil pan and sway bar???

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/01/14 07:32 AM

Is the paint all that bad? It seems to look pretty nice from the pictures. I couldn't imagine it being much worse than my Dart that has a bunch of paint chips and rust bubbles. I'd run it as is.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/01/14 07:35 AM

Well I'm not against original patina but the partial trim bothers me, it would all have to be either removed or be complete. I also like a car to be one color and while it's mostly original paint it's been painted doors forward and the reds don't match so I think I'd want to deal with that as well. I am not looking to make it a show pony, just make it a bit cleaner.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/01/14 07:37 AM

Quote:

Well I'm not against original patina but the partial trim bothers me, it would all have to be either removed or be complete. I also like a car to be one color and while it's mostly original paint it's been painted doors forward and the reds don't match so I think I'd want to deal with that as well. I am not looking to make it a show pony, just a bit cleaner.

Now I see the trim and paint difference. You'd probably be bugged with my Dart. You always do have an attention to detail.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/01/14 07:41 AM

Quote:

You'd probably be bugged with my Dart.

Nope, not a bit, who am I to be bugged by YOUR car? To each his own, it's all good

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/01/14 07:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You'd probably be bugged with my Dart.

Nope, not a bit, who am I to be bugged by YOUR car? To each his own, it's all good

Well, "if you owned it" is what I should have said.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/01/14 07:56 AM

Quote:

Well I'm not against original patina but the partial trim bothers me, it would all have to be either removed or be complete. I also like a car to be one color and while it's mostly original paint it's been painted doors forward and the reds don't match so I think I'd want to deal with that as well. I am not looking to make it a show pony, just make it a bit cleaner.

I think it wouldn't be too expensive or hard to find to complete the side trim for time being.

Yea, the trim and colors.... But could make it even more enjoyable and satisfying out at a track day passing some incredible shiny cars. They way it looks now, just makes you want to cheer for it. How could you not root for that car?

When AndyF would post a picture album link to a PIR track day it was hysterical. A 20x10 block of thumnail pictures... and whammo... there's the Valiant. It's sooo much different than everything else.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/01/14 08:03 AM

Good point Steve, that's a great pic

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/01/14 08:21 AM

Quote:

I believe AndyF took that picture.

Forgot the issue the smoke was from.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/01/14 09:33 AM

How about F8 survivor green.......?

Its a bad bad ride. Once you get it and start running it, the next steps will all fall into place.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/01/14 12:01 PM

My cars first track day had a blue smoke trail too, chased my tail all day thinking I had blow by galore and in adequate breather baffling only to find out when I got home that it was a split valve cover gasket. Must be a first time Mopar at the track voodoo thing....

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/01/14 03:14 PM

Quote:

I don't. Tim finished up the fabrication at his shop so I didn't get any final pictures. It looks great though, very clean, very strong and very simple.

Scott, Andy - I would like to see how Tim pulled this off, I very much want to do a sway bar like this on my car. If the K-frame needs to be modified I would like to do that before I send it for powder coating. Any details or pictures would be appreciated. Maybe Tim can share some details with us?

Thanks,

Michael

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/01/14 10:22 PM

Quote:

Sure I can bring it to the Spokane show as long as all goes as predicted upon it's arrival.

I figured asking you to bring it to the show was better than asking if I could stop by and look at it.

Just in case you weren't aware, the Spokane show is an evening show because the swap meet does one during the day. You are welcome to bring the car to the show at the swap meet and sit under the trees at my Dad's booth if you wanted. My buddy (Kevin) that lives a block from you and myself will be there all day and I expect he will bring his Duster (mine is still dead). Kevin and I usually work the swap meet booth and then run out to the show afterwards. Just an FYI.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/01/14 11:55 PM

Quote:

Just in case you weren't aware, the Spokane show is an evening show because the swap meet does one during the day.

Well that's confusing? So there are two Mopar events the same date/place, one swap show/day, and one show at night with different groups running each? Where is it held?

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/01/14 11:58 PM

The K-frame is modified. A tube runs thru the front of the K-frame and then the anti-sway bar fits in the tube. The anti-sway bar has splines on each end which drive the arms.

The K-frame was also modified to clear the Milodon road race pan. The SB road race pan is fairly wide and it wasn't possible to drop the engine in from above unless the K-frame was modified.

Even after all of the modifications we still had trouble dropping the engine into place. I have a bridge crane in my shop so engine installs are usually a 15 minute job but not this one! Tim almost got the whiz wheel out but we finally got everything to fit. I'd recommend a few mods the next time the engine comes out though.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/02/14 12:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The car corners hard enough that Tim had to solve a lot of various oil leaks. A 8 3/4 rear end will leak if you corner hard enough. So will the valve covers and the dipstick.

I did a bunch of machine work on the existing combo to fix the leaks. I used cast valve covers and machined them for o-ring fittings for the breathers. We used a remote puke can for the breathers which should solve that issue.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/02/14 12:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The car corners hard enough that Tim had to solve a lot of various oil leaks. A 8 3/4 rear end will leak if you corner hard enough. So will the valve covers and the dipstick.

I did a bunch of machine work on the existing combo to fix the leaks. I used cast valve covers and machined them for o-ring fittings for the breathers. We used a remote puke can for the breathers which should solve that issue.

I saw a road car that had baffles in the axle tubes to prevent washing out the wheel bearings. Real problem when running a synthetic.

Timkin bearings?

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/02/14 01:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Just in case you weren't aware, the Spokane show is an evening show because the swap meet does one during the day.

Well that's confusing? So there are two Mopar events the same date/place, one swap show/day, and one show at night with different groups running each? Where is it held?

The Early Ford Club does the yearly Swap Meet at the fairgrounds and on Saturday has always done an open cars show. That one isn't a Mopar only show.

The Lilac City Mopar club started doing their show the same Saturday a year or two ago, and in order to not compete they do it in the evening. It's out on Sprague at the New Life Church (one block east of University). Registration opens at 4:00 and judging is from 6:00 to 7:30.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/02/14 02:00 AM

Quote:

It's out on Sprague at the New Life Church (one block east of University). Registration opens at 4:00 and judging is from 6:00 to 7:30.

2 blocks from my house

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/02/14 02:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

It's out on Sprague at the New Life Church (one block east of University). Registration opens at 4:00 and judging is from 6:00 to 7:30.

2 blocks from my house

Did you move?? The one time I was at your house, it wasn't even close to Sprague.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/02/14 02:29 AM

Nope, 9807 E. Broadway, maybe a long 2 blocks but the nearest intersection is University.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/02/14 03:50 AM

Quote:

The K-frame is modified. A tube runs thru the front of the K-frame and then the anti-sway bar fits in the tube. The anti-sway bar has splines on each end which drive the arms.

I'll take a look at the available room. My understanding of the splined bars is that you could run it inside a 2" tube with bearings on either end. Guess I'll see what it takes to mount up a 2" tube.

Quote:

The K-frame was also modified to clear the Milodon road race pan. The SB road race pan is fairly wide and it wasn't possible to drop the engine in from above unless the K-frame was modified.

Even after all of the modifications we still had trouble dropping the engine into place. I have a bridge crane in my shop so engine installs are usually a 15 minute job but not this one! Tim almost got the whiz wheel out but we finally got everything to fit. I'd recommend a few mods the next time the engine comes out though.

Yeah... about that... I have a 440 with a '75 spool K-frame and a Milodon road race pan. I put that in 10 years ago. Some slicing, dicing, and welding was required. The last few times I had the engine out / in I did it as an assembly from under. Dropping it in from the top may not be physically possible.

Michael
Plano, TX

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/02/14 04:04 AM

We used a 2x3 steel tube then machined up some aluminum bushings for the end. I don't know where the pictures are, I took some during construction but I can't find them. Must be on a different computer.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/02/14 06:40 AM

Seems about right, but I was only there once and it was a couple of years ago. Seems farther to me, but I don't drive down Broadway often, at least not past Farr anyway.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/02/14 06:43 AM

Quote:

We used a 2x3 steel tube then machined up some aluminum bushings for the end. I don't know where the pictures are, I took some during construction but I can't find them. Must be on a different computer.

The pictures I saw where on a message board, if that helps any. Don't think you posted them, though, so it must have been Tim. Might not be your pictures, but maybe??

Just trying to help (and get back on topic).

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/02/14 07:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The pictures I saw where on a message board, if that helps any. Don't think you posted them, though, so it must have been Tim. Might not be your pictures, but maybe??

Just trying to help (and get back on topic).

My mistake, wasn't either you or Tim. Completely different car.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/03/14 03:40 AM

Tim sent me a cell phone picture of the front sway bar. You should be able to figure it out if you stare at it a bit. The steel tube is welded inside the K-frame and then the spline bar runs inside the tube.

Attached picture 8195754-photo4(Large).JPG
Posted By: pauly v.100

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/03/14 07:42 PM

I was greatly influenced by "The Green Brick" and later Tim's Valiant in my build. It's not nearly as capable, but it's still a blast. Too bad we don't have a usable track here.
I also had a dilemma with trim, which I would prefer to keep. I have all the trim but one piece was flat sided, So I just ordered some 3M peel and stick to cover the holes until I can find the piece I'm looking for. Might be an option for you.
Congrats on your purchase! -pauly

Attached picture 8196341-9260.jpg

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/04/14 05:26 AM

Looks like a different car with stripes!

Attached picture 8196928-5.jpg

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/04/14 05:26 AM

Attached picture 8196930-3.jpg

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/04/14 05:27 AM

Attached picture 8196931-4.jpg

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/04/14 05:30 AM

Great looking ride pauly v.100, what are your build details?

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/04/14 05:41 AM

Quote:

if your thinking of a satin finish you might want to look into plasti-dip. way cheaper than a paint job, and some of the effects they do are incredible. there is this guy on you-tube DYC (dipyourcar.com) that has all kinds of videos.

I have to apologize for my earlier "Bed liner" comment, I had not seen this stuff in person until today. The stuff is pretty cool! You can paint an entire car in it for around $1,000.00 and if you ever want to remove it simply peel it off and it leaves the underlying surface damage free, they even paint it over brand new paint jobs to protect the new paint. It comes in a rainbow of colors including some with gloss finish and metal flake additives.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/04/14 05:47 AM

Real nice!!
Posted By: bigdad

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/04/14 06:28 AM

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/04/14 02:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have to apologize for my earlier "Bed liner comment, I had not seen this stuff in person until today. The stuff is pretty cool! You can paint an entire car in it for around $1,000.00 and if you ever want to remove it simply peel it off and it leaves the underlying surface damage free, they even paint it over brand new paint jobs to protect the new paint. It comes in a rainbow of colors including some with gloss finish and metal flake additives.

no problem i had the same view of it until i saw the a car in person and then looked at some of the videos on line. its relatively new, but what i like about is the ability to chance color and effects easily. if you haven't see the youtube videos, i would recommend browsing a few, it will really give you a good idea of what can be done with the product.
Posted By: Sneke_Eyez

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/04/14 06:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have to apologize for my earlier "Bed liner" comment, I had not seen this stuff in person until today. The stuff is pretty cool! You can paint an entire car in it for around $1,000.00 and if you ever want to remove it simply peel it off and it leaves the underlying surface damage free, they even paint it over brand new paint jobs to protect the new paint. It comes in a rainbow of colors including some with gloss finish and metal flake additives.

I'm glad this stuff has finally started to gain acceptance by some of the classic car guys.
I think it is the coolest thing ever, and I'm fixing to paint 3 different cars in it by the time this summer is over, including my 69 Satellite Wagon.
Posted By: pauly v.100

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/04/14 08:04 PM

Quote:

Great looking ride pauly v.100, what are your build details?

Thanks, its a pretty basic build..

1.06 FF bars
welded and reinforced 340 Kframe
reinforced LCAs, Magnumforce non adjustable uppers
FF adjustable struts, tie rods, and greasable LCA pins
Polyurethane everything
ARE first gen viper brake kit on 11.75 rotors
B-body rear on 340 Duster leafs, 3.91 sure grip, ARE front hangers
MP frame connectors
360/380 crate motor, 904 with kit and reverse manual body
G-force sport comp 2 tires, 245-40x18 front 255-40x18 rear
EZ 21 circuit wiring harness
body and paint, and everything else for that matter, by me

I have a long wish list including bigger brakes, a T-56, sway bars, and a stroked 340 that I'm currently working on.
It will never reach the performance level of the red car, but it really is alot of fun on the twisty roads. -pauly

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/04/14 09:22 PM

Well it's official! Tim just dropped off the car(great guy!), man this thing is a little beast! Just went for a quick test drive and filled it with gas.

I can't wait to put it on a track, it's WAAAAAY too much for the street that's for sure!

Attached picture 8197481-Valiant1.jpg

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/04/14 10:35 PM

Quote:

Well it's official! Tim just dropped off the car(great guy!), man this thing is a little beast! Just went for a quick test drive and filled it with gas.

I can't wait to put it on a track, it's WAAAAAY too much for the street that's for sure!

Curious on your perspective of speed on this one Scott.....is this your first experience with stroker kit in any of the Mopar engines, LA, B, RB?

Once you experience a stroker engine you will never want to go back to stock configuration....atleast for anything that you want to have fun with....if its a numbers matching show poodle that is just washed and waxed....well that is for the older folks that like to nap during the day.
Posted By: amxautox

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/04/14 10:40 PM

What's going on? I just woke up from my old man's nap.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/04/14 10:44 PM

Get me a cold

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/04/14 10:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Curious on your perspective of speed on this one Scott.....is this your first experience with stroker kit in any of the Mopar engines, LA, B, RB?

Once you experience a stroker engine you will never want to go back to stock configuration....atleast for anything that you want to have fun with....if its a numbers matching show poodle that is just washed and waxed....well that is for the older folks that like to nap during the day.

A lot of generalizations and assumptions with that statement.

There's more that one way to skin a cat.

I drove my 340 as my only car for 15 years. And now I have a 416 stroker. Yes, big difference, but not just because of the stroke.

There's plenty of 340's that would wax my 416. They just have a lot more cam, heads, compression, etc than me. I view the stroker as the easier on parts/pocketbook and milder on the street way to get to the same place.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/04/14 10:53 PM

Quote:

Get me a cold

No cold here. Just some warm old stale Uncle Buck's from the '80s that I used on my dog's coat right after washing him for the dog shows.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/04/14 10:55 PM

No, not my first stroker (I've driven stroked SB,BB, and Hemis) but the first SB with a good chassis under it (aside from a retired SB Mopar powered NASCAR that had an eerily similar feel).

I agree, who needs a big block when a lightweight small block with a big arm can offer so much punch! Andy sure builds a nice engine, it revs like it's got fuel injection, traction is hopeless on the street tires if you get into it beyond light half throttle in 1-3 gears, and that's with 2.94's in the rear! Super fun car.....and the "Patina" is growing on me already.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/04/14 11:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

A lot of generalizations and assumptions with that statement.

There's more that one way to skin a cat.

I drove my 340 as my only car for 15 years. And now I have a 416 stroker. Yes, big difference, but not just because of the stroke.

There's plenty of 340's that would wax my 416. They just have a lot more cam, heads, compression, etc than me. I view the stroker as the easier on parts/pocketbook and milder on the street way to get to the same place.

Agreed....old school ways had to rely on other methods to make power as you mentioned.

Pump gas friendly strokers with street manners and highway gears can put down the same acceleration those old school combos could....now there is power with pump gas combos that can hit highway speeds all day long and not look like a tool leaving a 4 way stop like a caged animal but buzzing the engine at ridiculous rpm at 55 mph.

Been there done that and never will again.

The 2.94 gear in the Runner with the 4.25" stroke RB was a blast for acceleration on 93 octane and hitting the highway for cruising was great. One of the best days was when I tossed that 4.30 gear set out of that car.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/04/14 11:42 PM

Yep, it is pretty funny to think about a car that is traction limited in the first 3 gears with a 2.94 out back. If you put the Passon in there with 3.91 gears it will be traction limited on street tires in the first 4 gears. But you kind of need the extra low first gear in order to load it onto a trailer and stuff like that.

It is basically Hemi power or Viper power in a 3100 lb car. With 427 inches and max ported heads it makes good power. The cam and the carb are both small to help make torque down low. Those can be changed if you want more power. A bigger cam and carb would free up another 50-100 hp depending on how big you went but then you would need the 3.91 gears to launch it.

Attached picture 8197608-dyno.jpg

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/05/14 12:41 AM

Thanks for the dyno pic Andy!

Attached picture 8197682-30.jpg

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/05/14 01:06 AM

Quote:

it's WAAAAAY too much for the street that's for sure!

One can get used to it...

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/05/14 07:47 AM

So it should be from this point referred to as SCOTT's Valiant.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/05/14 02:49 PM

Well, I do own it now but it will always be Tim's, he's the one who put it on the map.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/05/14 04:09 PM

Congratulations on the purchase again! I say you hold off on any changes and spend all your money on track time and tires/pads. No paint, no gears, no OD tranny. None of that will make it faster on the track.

And one day I'd love to run our cars together. Andy's car has always been the benchmark in my mind. Maybe at AutoXcuda's track day in Cali in a year or two? Or another event? Steve- how much track time should one expect at y'all's road course track day?

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/05/14 04:25 PM

Wade,

Wise words that won't be ignored. I plan on doing a lot of testing at the local Spokane track in it's current configuration just as suggested, two reasons, one to get some fresh seat time since I'm a bit rusty and unfamiliar with the car, and two, to check out the current combo. Andy's input about the trans/rear will also be taken, mostly because I already have the brand new Passon 5 speed and a new Dr. Diff Yukon 3.91 drop in unit so those are no brainers, however I won't be doing either swap until winter down time sets in.

It would be fun to run our cars together, we can work out a plan down the road but I'm open to it, me, you, Steve, and maybe some other A-body guys could have a little shootout, that would be a hoot!

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/05/14 05:32 PM

Quote:

It would be fun to run our cars together, we can work out a plan down the road but I'm open to it, me, you, Steve, and maybe some other A-body guys could have a little shootout, that would be a hoot!

That sounds fantastic! Count me in for that shootout.

Track rentals for a half dozen cars or so are usually quite reasonable.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/05/14 06:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That sounds fantastic! Count me in for that shootout.

Track rentals for a half dozen cars or so are usually quite reasonable.

Wow! Depends on when and where but definitely keep me in the loop! My car still needs some assembly and it is more street oriented but I definitely want to get some track time. I would guess it will be running and driving in the spring.

Michael
1968 Barracuda Notchback
Plano, TX

Attached picture 8198413-garage-small.jpg

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/05/14 07:13 PM

Quote:

Congratulations on the purchase again! I say you hold off on any changes and spend all your money on track time and tires/pads. No paint, no gears, no OD tranny. None of that will make it faster on the track.

And one day I'd love to run our cars together. Andy's car has always been the benchmark in my mind. Maybe at AutoXcuda's track day in Cali in a year or two? Or another event? Steve- how much track time should one expect at y'all's road course track day?

At Spring Fling Speed Festival we run from 8am to 5pm the Thursday before Spring Fling. There is a ton of track time and only two run groups. There's only about 30 cars and it's a big track. Here's some pics and info from this years past event: https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...part=1&vc=1

In the afternoon you can run in about any run group. So if you wish, you could run almost constant from 1pm to 5pm. You and/or the car will need more breaks than the track availability.

The red Valiant has run at Spring Fling Speed Festival before in 2007. Seriously fast. That is where a water pump belt slipped off resulting in a blown head gasket... IIRC, that situation directly log-rolled into the 427 motor build.

The red Valiant at SFSF 2007...

the Crossfire drove from Alberta Canada. The orange Challenger from Phoenix. The blue 68 Barracuda is now owned by Boydsdodge in Canada (he comes down most the time)...

Real 1969 Winston Cup Nascar Hemi Daytona.

Scott here is a link to pictures from that day you might be interested in: http://www.mrmopar.com/SpringFling2007/WillowSprings/

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/05/14 08:26 PM

Cool thanks Steve! What was the engine combo like before the 427 build?

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/05/14 08:31 PM

Quote:

IIRC, 360 (or 340) with edelbrock heads. Edelbrock heads re-used after port work on current motor.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/05/14 08:33 PM

Ok so stock stroke? Man this thing will be a different animal with this stroker. I just took it for a short rip around the neighborhood, little sucker is sure fun to drive!

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/05/14 08:52 PM

Quote:

Ok so stock stroke? Man this thing will be a different animal with this stroker. I just took it for a short rip around the neighborhood, little sucker is sure fun to drive!

not just stock stroke, but less heads, less cam relatively, it had 4 piston viper brakes then...

Bob Reed drive it in 2007 and really liked it. He said you can really tell that is has a cage on it. And his personal opinion was that his own 1968 Barracuda was about maxed out chassis-wise without having the roll cage that Tim's Valliant had.

The E-Max Challenger does not have a cage. Seems to do well on track, but really no direct comparison. And Hotchkis is building a new car with with Kevin Wesley...just happens to have an even more extensive roll cage/chassis than the red 68 Valiant.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/05/14 09:50 PM

Is Kevin Westly the guy with the 70 Satellite taxicab looking autocross car?

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/05/14 09:52 PM

That full boogie Dart Hotchkiss is doing will be hard to beat by any of us, but then again, with as much work and $ as it has in it you may as well resurrect a retired NASCAR!
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/05/14 10:12 PM

Quote:

Congrats on getting a car that is far beyond most on the road, not just old Mopars. Here's a couple of pics from the 07 Speed Fest.

Attached picture 8198647-68dart.jpg

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/05/14 10:20 PM

Quote:

Is Kevin Westly the guy with the 70 Satellite taxicab looking autocross car?

Yes.

His new car/build: https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post8073886

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/05/14 11:05 PM

Quote:

That full boogie Dart Hotchkiss is doing will be hard to beat by any of us, but then again, with as much work and $ as it has in it you may as well resurrect a retired NASCAR!

The chassis craftmanship is prettier. I'm sure it will be a visual showcase of sorts for Hotchkis.

The cage work and chassis sheet metal is just extensive. I think it's going to have stock suspension pick up points. Or maybe leaf springs moved in. About the only thing in common with the Red Valiant.

The Dart is a Tour De Force. The Red Valiant is a Grassroots Campaign.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/06/14 12:27 AM

I wouldn't count out the Valiant against that Dart, but I wouldn't bet against the Dart either! Having a stiff strong chassis is paramount to fine tuning the other components of a race car, takes out a lot of variables. The modern Hemi drivetrain, fuel injection, electric steering, etc. will make that Dart easier to drive smoothly, which usually equals speed. At any rate, we'll eventually find out when we get the chance to flog them at the same event.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/06/14 12:44 AM

Kevin- when will your dart sport be done? How bout it, you in for an A body shootout?

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/06/14 12:47 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't count out the Valiant against that Dart, but I wouldn't bet against the Dart either! Having a stiff strong chassis is paramount to fine tuning the other components of a race car, takes out a lot of variables. The modern Hemi drivetrain, fuel injection, electric steering, etc. will make that Dart easier to drive smoothly, which usually equals speed. At any rate, we'll eventually find out when we get the chance to flog them at the same event.

I have a feeling a lot more trick and expensive parts are going to end up on that Dart. We are just seeing the basic chassis get built. I think/hope the idea is to take on those six figure plus Pro Touring cars at the Optima Challenge type events.

I notice there hasn't been any update pictures recently. Maybe saving them for a magazine spread. Can't blame them.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/06/14 01:06 AM

My car is gonna get a cage before its back together. I figure if a guy goes through the trouble of a rollbar you might as well go a little further. In my case I wanted to pull the windshield and dash anyway.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/06/14 01:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

IIRC, 360 (or 340) with edelbrock heads. Edelbrock heads re-used after port work on current motor.

The motor was a j headed 360, I have it in my 69 dart.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/06/14 01:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The motor was a j headed 360, I have it in my 69 dart.

In the pictures here I can see the edelbrock aluminum heads: http://www.mrmopar.com/SpringFling2007/WillowSprings/

I believe those were added at some time. Maybe he put the steel head ones back to sell. Or this E-brock head motor is a whole motor after yours? He may have ran the car with the steel J-heads back on it after doing the headgasket. IIRC, a ebrock head might have got hurt

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/07/14 02:00 AM

The engine we pulled in 2010 had the J heads on it. I think Tim put the J heads back on after overheating it at the track. We sent the Edelbrock heads to Hughes Engines for the Stage III porting and then used them on the 427.

The 427 makes at least 100 hp more than the 360 and the car is about 100 lbs lighter now than it was then. It also has better front brakes, discs in the rear rather than drums and a better front suspension. So while the car was fast back in 2007 it would be significantly faster now.

Attached picture 8199928-engine.jpg

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/07/14 02:06 AM

Here is the 427 ready to go back in. This was the first gen of the 427. We went thru a couple of different oil pans and I changed the valve covers over to orange in the last build. The orange valve covers have AN o-ring fittings for the breathers which was a pretty trick modification.

Attached picture 8199934-427.jpg
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/07/14 02:10 AM

Andy,

looking at the pulley arrangement on the 360, it looks like a .9:1 or even a 1:1 Do you recall what it was and how well it worked? Was the same set up carried over on the 427? I would have expected to see an overdriven(smaller) water pump pulley.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/07/14 04:25 AM

I've never paid much attention to the pulley situation. It seems to work so we never messed with it. They are stock pullies but I don't know the part numbers or sizes.
Posted By: Consulier

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/07/14 01:45 PM

Quote:

There is a lot less $$$ in that car than you think.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/07/14 01:54 PM

Quote:

Kevin- when will your dart sport be done? How bout it, you in for an A body shootout?

I'm always up for stuff like that, but unfortunately the logistics and expense of getting it together will make it interesting.

The west coast is a long way from MI. Just to put it into perspective, I can ship my car in a container to Europe for about the same price as enclosed shipping to Los Angeles.

If this were to honestly happen, it would be best once the Brick is back together. I don't think it would be appropriate to have an A Body shootout without the car that inspired just about all of us.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/07/14 02:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm always up for stuff like that, but unfortunately the logistics and expense of getting it together will make it interesting.

The west coast is a long way from MI. Just to put it into perspective, I can ship my car in a container to Europe for about the same price as enclosed shipping to Los Angeles.

If this were to honestly happen, it would be best once the Brick is back together. I don't think it would be appropriate to have an A Body shootout without the car that inspired just about all of us.

Any idea on ETA for the completion of Rick's green brick? I agree, the brick needs to be there.

And any idea on your cars estimated completion date?

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/07/14 02:49 PM

Quote:

I don't think it would be appropriate to have an A Body shootout without the car that inspired just about all of us.

100%

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/07/14 03:09 PM

Quote:

I have a feeling a lot more trick and expensive parts are going to end up on that Dart. We are just seeing the basic chassis get built. I think/hope the idea is to take on those six figure plus Pro Touring cars at the Optima Challenge type events.

I notice there hasn't been any update pictures recently. Maybe saving them for a magazine spread. Can't blame them.

Nope... nothing trick and nothing expensive. You have to remember, I'm cheap and I honestly do not like working on my cars. It has to be simple, or I lose interest real quick.

No big magazine spread planned, but I'm sure it will end up in one of them at some point. No updates because there really hasn't been much to post. Plus that's all up to the PR guys to sort out for Hotchkis.

It will run Optima, but not because that is what the car was built for. It's going to get killed on the design and judging portion. That will be a side show to it's true intention. The car is being built to be run at events like Pikes Peak, Targa Newfoundland, tarmac rallies and even smooth gravel rallies at some point.

Definitely won't see Optima this year because my plan this year is to see how close to the top 5 I can get at an event with my daily driver SRT8 Core. I base lined it a couple weeks ago at Road America as it rolled off the showroom floor with stock pads, stock alignment and the stock Goodyears.

Here are top 15 road course results with me mixed in to the over 3k class. I was running in Exhibition technically since I skipped the Road Rally and Design segments.

If I can get within 2-3 seconds of the DSE Camaro (2nd fastest in Vegas last year) with my daily driver, I will consider that a win. I'm making a couple changes before the next event, but not touching the engine. All bolt on's and no gutting the car or anything like that.

To put the Challenger times in perspective with the Dart... It will be the same engine with more power (tune with headers and no Cats), 1,250 lbs less weight and more tire. Yes, it's not the same chassis, but the Satellite and Challenger are pretty much equal right now, so I don't think the chassis will be a limiting factor really on the Dart.

To put the Challenger times in perspective with an A Body on the same track... it's currently 12 seconds a lap faster than Eric W's Duster was in 2013. My stock 5.7 Challenger last year went 1:52.8 which was 8 seconds a lap faster.

To put this post back in relation to a shoot out (and no, I'm not trying to stir the pot with this comment)... as you can see by the times, it's not always about the car, or how much money you spend.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/07/14 03:15 PM

Quote:

Any idea on ETA for the completion of Rick's green brick? I agree, the brick needs to be there.

Brick should be done by spring of 2015.

Dart should be ready to be fired by mid August and should see the track for shake down shortly after that.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/07/14 03:29 PM

Kevin, your car is scheduled to be done next month or August 2015?

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/07/14 03:35 PM

Quote:

Kevin, your car is scheduled to be done next month or August 2015?

August 2014... finalizing wiring, plumbing, exhaust and some minor fab stuff by mid August. From their it goes for firing and tune.

Which reminds me I have a list of stuff to order today.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/07/14 05:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Brick should be done by spring of 2015.

Dart should be ready to be fired by mid August and should see the track for shake down shortly after that.

Rick isn't going to bring the brick to SoCal. He's in NY, Kevin is in MI, Peter Bergman is in NY, Scott is in WA, and I'm in TX. I'm sure there are more guys with track experience that want in, but right now the bias is to the NE.

Kevin- what big tracks can we get a full day rental on for a reasonable rate? Mid America is $3500 single day on Mondays and Tuesdays from 8AM-5PM. That's probably a middle of the road fee (some on Texas are $1500, others in US are 5 figures).

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/07/14 05:38 PM

Best bet is to pick an event like OUSCA or a Musclecar challenge event that coincides with one of those tracks like RA, Mid-Ohio, Joliet Autobahn etc. That way the track rental is covered and the media coverage is free lol. Also is this a shootout of car AND driver or car against car? If its car against car, Kevin is gonna be busy and would probably require steak dinner.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/07/14 07:07 PM

Rick suggested these tracks (close to him), and to piggyback on an open track day or driving school:
Lime Rock
Watkins Glen
Summit Point
Mid Ohio

Quote:

Best bet is to pick an event like OUSCA or a Musclecar challenge event that coincides with one of those tracks like RA, Mid-Ohio, Joliet Autobahn etc. That way the track rental is covered and the media coverage is free lol. Also is this a shootout of car AND driver or car against car? If its car against car, Kevin is gonna be busy and would probably require steak dinner.

The 'best' part about getting these cars together on track would be to pit the fastest A body mopars against each other on the same track on the same day. For me personally, the highlight will be running with (i.e. following) Rick, Kevin, Scott's Valiant, etc, to see how I stack up turn for turn. If that can be accomplished at a USCA or similar event, great. Otherwise, an all day track rental is cheap enough when split between 5-10 guys (though that would most likely exclude novice participation).

As far as media coverage - if it's worthy of print, I'm sure Rick will cover it. Not the point, but would probably encourage participation among those in the business.

We've got 8+ months until Rick's car is running, so let's just see what the group wants to do when we get there.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/07/14 07:33 PM

A little bit OT, but what is the first gear in Scott/Tim's Valiant?

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/07/14 08:41 PM

Quote:

A little bit OT, but what is the first gear in Scott/Tim's Valiant?

2.66 from a previous post here.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/07/14 09:25 PM

Well I haven't spoke to Rick, that kinda makes a difference! I'm all for whatever, I was just thinking of killing to birds with one stone and crushing some Camaroes at the same time is always fun.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/07/14 10:10 PM

Quote:

... and crushing some Camaroes at the same time is always fun.

Now that's some confidence. haha

If we're going USCA, let's make it a long track. None of this 1.07 mile TMS crap.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/08/14 12:47 AM

Man... I wish my Dart was fast.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/08/14 01:25 AM

Quote:

It is. Going downhill backwards when the brakes don't work.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/08/14 01:25 AM

Ahh, it just takes time, you'll get there.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/08/14 01:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

... and crushing some Camaroes at the same time is always fun.

Now that's some confidence. haha

If we're going USCA, let's make it a long track. None of this 1.07 mile TMS crap.

It's kinda an odds thing, when there is 30 of them in the field, its not really to tough I would imagine.
Posted By: Tomswheels

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/08/14 03:05 AM

I'd love to get out with mine and try and run with you guys... I'm definitely planning on the next Spring Fling and was at USCA Fontana, I'll drive this thing anywhere west of the Mississippi to run with the other A Bodies!

Attached picture 8201286-image.jpg

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/08/14 03:08 AM

Cool car Tom, what's your setup?
Posted By: jcc

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/08/14 03:29 AM

Is that rig missing a front bumper, or are we just on a new F/R weight improvement plan?

It looks tough regardless.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/08/14 04:46 AM

Quote:

Rick isn't going to bring the brick to SoCal. He's in NY, Kevin is in MI, Peter Bergman is in NY, Scott is in WA, and I'm in TX. I'm sure there are more guys with track experience that want in, but right now the bias is to the NE.

Kevin- what big tracks can we get a full day rental on for a reasonable rate? Mid America is $3500 single day on Mondays and Tuesdays from 8AM-5PM. That's probably a middle of the road fee (some on Texas are $1500, others in US are 5 figures).

Start a new thread and we can toss around some ideas. I think we have brutalized Scott's thread enough.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/08/14 04:54 AM

Quote:

I think we have brutalized Scott's thread enough.

No worries, it's not my thread anyway

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/08/14 05:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I think we have brutalized Scott's thread enough.

No worries, it's not my thread anyway

Sorry Scott.

Of course this all started because of your purchase. Really stoked for you man.
Posted By: Tomswheels

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/08/14 05:18 AM

Thanks Scott, you took the smart path and bought one somebody already put work into, I would have been much smarter to do that as opposed to starting from scratch, but as it sits now mine is just a Hotchkis TVS/ fox adjustable shock setup with 18x10s all around. 320 HP crate 360, Aluminum a833 od, Borgeson box, 73 late A Discs front/ford 8.8 traction lock disc rear. Spending the rest of this year trying to win my local CAM SCCA class and getting out to as many track days as possible. Obviously way down on HP compared to my competition, so working on weight and driving!

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/08/14 05:40 AM

No problem, I'll start a new thread so we can all carry on. I drove the Valiant on a 10 mile jaunt down the freeway and back, it'll be easy to get into trouble in this thing. Hitting the onramp and going through the gears is an A-ticket ride for sure and with the 2.94 rear gear and gobs of power it just pulls forever when you get on it. Coming back I hit some slow moving traffic and it was 92 degrees out so overheating was on my mind for a while but it never got over 205 and cooled right down to 180 after we got moving again.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/08/14 07:47 AM

Quote:

Thanks Scott, you took the smart path and bought one somebody already put work into, I would have been much smarter to do that as opposed to starting from scratch, but as it sits now mine is just a Hotchkis TVS/ fox adjustable shock setup with 18x10s all around. 320 HP crate 360, Aluminum a833 od, Borgeson box, 73 late A Discs front/ford 8.8 traction lock disc rear. Spending the rest of this year trying to win my local CAM SCCA class and getting out to as many track days as possible. Obviously way down on HP compared to my competition, so working on weight and driving!

Scott may have taken the smart path, but how many are out there and how often do they come up for sale? The bottom line is that there are very few A-bodies built in this manner and people build them to use them. It is becoming more popular, though...

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/08/14 07:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I only made it about 30 ft before I hit a tree though.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/08/14 03:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Darn trees, they take all the fun out of it.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/08/14 05:18 PM

Quote:

No problem, I'll start a new thread so we can all carry on. I drove the Valiant on a 10 mile jaunt down the freeway and back, it'll be easy to get into trouble in this thing. Hitting the onramp and going through the gears is an A-ticket ride for sure and with the 2.94 rear gear and gobs of power it just pulls forever when you get on it. Coming back I hit some slow moving traffic and it was 92 degrees out so overheating was on my mind for a while but it never got over 205 and cooled right down to 180 after we got moving again.

Yeah it goes pretty good for having those econo gears out back doesn't it? Just wait until you swap in the 3.91 and the Passon box.

You should try a ThermoQuad on that engine. The Holley is only a 650 and it is giving up about 20 hp on the top end. If you were able to get a TQ carb dialed in on that combo it would make more power and still have good street manners. It would also be killer funny at the track when guys look under the hood and see a TQ.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/08/14 07:18 PM

Man, this is surely swirling around in my head. I autocrossed/hill climbed for 20 years and finally got out because it was becoming too expensive, tires, fuel, entry fees, traveling every weekend etc.. It's like drugs, you can't get enough. Makes me want to do a budget road car, butt ugly but one that goes like hell.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/08/14 07:44 PM

Yea the gear and trans swap will be soon. I am juggling time between carb work and assembling my 71 340 Duster so I need a gap between those to get on it. I MIGHT be able to run the car at Spokane Raceway Friday (if they let me in past the cutoff yesterday). I will try a TQ carb as well, I have a couple good 850 and 1000 Comp series that might just be the ticket.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/08/14 08:08 PM

Why so hot my engine makes a lot more power and in GA heat runs solid 183 standing still and will cool down to 170

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/08/14 08:16 PM

Stop and go freeway traffic for 10 miles and just over 200 isnt bad IMO. cools to 180 almost immediately once moving again.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/08/14 09:44 PM

Quote:

Stop and go freeway traffic for 10 miles and just over 200 isnt bad IMO. cools to 180 almost immediately once moving again.

Is Spokane a short track, less than 2 miles?

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/08/14 09:50 PM

I posted a pic of the Spokane track earlier in this thread

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/08/14 10:04 PM

Quote:

I posted a pic of the Spokane track earlier in this thread

Oh, ok, thanks
Posted By: Rick_Ehrenberg

Re: Green Brick - 07/08/14 11:13 PM

I saw somewhere above a mention that the Green Brick was an inspiration. Thanks for that, it was meant to be exactly that, to prove that brains and clever engineering (mostly Chrysler's) can level the playing field vs. bucks and stupidity (read: Chevies).

I've been asked: "what inspired me"? Watching the '60 NASCAR Mopars at the Glen, then sneaking out on the track at night for a slew of hot laps in my '65 Valiant played a part, to be sure, but the real foundation was laid by the 1960 NASCAR Valiants. If you don't recall, it was a slaughterhouse, with every other brand going though the meat grinder! They were the only cars ever certified by NASCAR to run without a cage -- Chrysler Engineering was able to demonstrate that the unibody was a strong as the competitor's caged cars.

valiants at speed

Rick
Posted By: Dan@Hotchkis

Re: Green Brick - 07/08/14 11:35 PM

Thats what inspired my wifes car. She drives it to work daily and she loves to autocross it. I steal it from time to time as well, but with all the Hotchkis goodies and that screaming little /6 up front, it's hard to not have a riot in it!

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/09/14 12:24 AM

Quote:

Why so hot my engine makes a lot more power and in GA heat runs solid 183 standing still and will cool down to 170

Sounds neat. Could you share some pics and specs of your car?

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/09/14 12:52 AM

Quote:

I saw somewhere above a mention that the Green Brick was an inspiration. Thanks for that, it was meant to be exactly that, to prove that brains and clever engineering (mostly Chrysler's) can level the playing field vs. bucks and stupidity (read: Chevies).

I'm also a long time fan of the Green Brick since it's original inception, definitely one of my all time "Hero Cars" and THE reason I bought the red car, it's the closest thing I've seen that I've had a chance to buy and could afford, I plan on doing a lot of learning in this little car

*I'm in to run track day at Spokane Raceway this Friday July 11th! I'm stoked! It'll be my first chance to really see what it can do

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/09/14 03:51 AM

Quote:

Coming back I hit some slow moving traffic and it was 92 degrees out so overheating was on my mind for a while.

Really? In Washington state???

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/09/14 04:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Coming back I hit some slow moving traffic and it was 92 degrees out so overheating was on my mind for a while.

Really? In Washington state???

Yup, 80s on this side of the mountains. 90s, and some 100s on the east side.

west side;

http://www.komonews.com/weather/

east side;

https://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USWA0422_f.html

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/09/14 04:04 AM

Sorry to hear that. I thought you guys were blessed with mid 80s through the summer.
Us Central CA valley guys can attest to some 100 degree days...

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/09/14 04:15 AM

We are, usually, on the west side, but we do have 90s now and then, and once in a great while a 100 degree day or 2. Couple years ago it got up to 102 or 103 for a day. Didn't even bother me for some reason. Most every year on the east side it'll get into the 100s.

The other day I had to turn on a fan, but then that day I was cutting with a plasma cutter, grinding, and welding in the middle of the day/afternoon to fix the tire tool. Then taking a tire off a rim, flipping it, and putting it back on the rim. Not what I'm used to in the heat.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/09/14 04:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Darn trees, they take all the fun out of it.

The impact just caused some paint chips. If anything, I may have dented the tree.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/09/14 04:24 AM

Quote:

We are, usually, on the west side, but we do have 90s now and then, and once in a great while a 100 degree day or 2. Couple years ago it got up to 102 or 103 for a day. Didn't even bother me for some reason. Most every year on the east side it'll get into the 100s.

The other day I had to turn on a fan, but then that day I was cutting with a plasma cutter, grinding, and welding in the middle of the day/afternoon to fix the tire tool. Then taking a tire off a rim, flipping it, and putting it back on the rim. Not what I'm used to in the heat.

Hot today, 101

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/09/14 05:29 AM

In Spokane, today through Saturday:

Hi:96°Lo:61°
Hi:92°Lo:62°
Hi:97°Lo:65°
Hi:99°Lo:64°
Hi:99°Lo:68°

Having lived in Florida I can say that this little heat wave we are experiencing is a MUCH more comfortable "dry heat" than you guys living back east of the Rockies with all the humidity.
Posted By: lilcuda

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/09/14 06:55 AM

Crap. Missed out on this one. Do you mind sharing what you paid for it? CL ad is expired. The first time I saw this car, I wanted it. Missed my chance. Sigh.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/09/14 06:56 AM

I'm not sure Tim wanted that made public so I'll just say "Under 20K". I got a heck of a deal IMO.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/09/14 03:56 PM

Quote:

In Spokane, today through Saturday:

Hi:96°Lo:61°
Hi:92°Lo:62°
Hi:97°Lo:65°
Hi:99°Lo:64°
Hi:99°Lo:68°

Having lived in Florida I can say that this little heat wave we are experiencing is a MUCH more comfortable "dry heat" than you guys living back east of the Rockies
with all the humidity.

Still hot

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/09/14 03:58 PM

Is the interior gutted?

It would be interesting to see how it does in the standing mile at an event like the Mohave Mile.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/09/14 04:54 PM

Stock dash with added gauges, stock steering column. original door panels and floor. No carpet, no headliner, no back seat, aftermarket buckets. Could make it look showroom stock in weekend.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/09/14 06:39 PM

Quote:

Stock dash with added gauges, stock steering column. original door panels and floor. No carpet, no headliner, no back seat, aftermarket buckets. Could make it look showroom stock in weekend.

Does it have on-board fire suppression?

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/09/14 06:50 PM

Yes, Its a 2 component system: A Scott and a fire extinguisher

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/09/14 07:00 PM

Doesn't a Scott bottle encourage a fire?

Scott = Scottish = from Scotland =

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/09/14 07:37 PM

I thought the right pedal was the primary fire suppressor, drive faster.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/09/14 08:14 PM

Quote:

Yes, Its a 2 component system: A Scott and a fire extinguisher

Scott's new nick name = Scorch

Re: Green Brick - 07/09/14 08:54 PM

Quote:

Rick

I too have been greatly inspired by the Brick. I have even kept articles back to when it was street raced by some guy name Joe or something.

Glad to hear it is being updated. Can't wait to see what you are doing.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/09/14 08:59 PM

Quote:

*I'm in to run track day at Spokane Raceway this Friday July 11th! I'm stoked! It'll be my first chance to really see what it can do

Dang, wish I could make it work to be there and see it. I work less than a mile or two from the track, but will be at the fairgrounds working the swap meet.

Any chance for either the swap meet show or the Mopar show in the evening on Saturday?

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/09/14 10:30 PM

I should have time to make the car show at New Life Christian Center Saturday, It'll probably still be dirty from track day but oh well, it is what it is.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/11/14 09:25 PM

Well I made it to track day! What a freaking blast! Took the Valiant to Spokane County Raceway and put it through the paces. I drove it the (20 miles) or so to the track and back home, some of the looks the other drivers gave me were priceless (most of whom trailered theirs).

There were a dozen or so other cars, most of which were pretty fast, a Viper, Z06 Vette, a couple worked over BMW's, etc. so there was plenty of room to stretch the Valliant's legs without getting into trouble. I drove the first few laps with the track day organizer riding shotgun (wanted to see if I had adequate skills to stay alive) and then he turned me loose. After a few warm up laps I pushed it harder and harder until I was eventually comfortably pacing with the Viper.

So, after a couple sessions I can say that the little Valiant handles like it's on rails, has a bit of very predictable over steer (still messing with tire pressures to dial that in) and when you hit the straight aways it's just a little monster pulling hard until you feel your mortality coming into question and decide to lift and brake, seemingly limitless top end, I ran out of stones before I ran out of engine. What a ball to drive!

Attached picture 8205184-TrackDay1.jpg

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/11/14 10:02 PM

Quote:

Well I made it to track day! What a freaking blast! Took the Valiant to Spokane County Raceway and put it through the paces. I drove it the (20 miles) or so to the track and back home, some of the looks the other drivers gave me were priceless (most of whom trailered theirs).

So you still want to bother painting it?

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/11/14 10:03 PM

Quote:

After a few warm up laps I pushed it harder and harder until I was eventually comfortably pacing with the Viper.

Glad she ran well!!

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/11/14 10:13 PM

I keep calling the car "Tim's Valiant"

I vote to have it named the Red Brick!

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/11/14 10:15 PM

Quote:

So now Scott can't paint it?

Red Brick. I like that.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/11/14 10:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Red Brick. I like that.

Adding paint will only make it slower.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/11/14 10:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Red Brick. I like that.

Adding paint will only make it slower.

Wait until you kiss a wall or rub fenders then paint it

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/11/14 11:00 PM

Red brick...I like that.

Way to go, Scott. I've heard that you were more of a Restoration guy so this is cool to see.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/11/14 11:16 PM

Quote:

Any more pictures??

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/11/14 11:51 PM

Was that with the Kumho tires? Those tires have got to be 5 years old so it might be time to get some new ones. You'll probably notice a difference.

We were going to do a magazine article on tires but the deal never came together. If you make a few calls you might be able to put something together with PHR or Mopar Action.
Posted By: RylisPro

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/12/14 12:13 AM

Very cool!
If you ever have plans to make it down south to Thunderhill in Willows, CA put out a heads up!
I plan to track my car there eventually

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/12/14 01:36 AM

Andy,

Yea, same old tires and they have now seen their last track day, they were on the boarder as far as passing tech. I will say that they worked just fine, but I'm sure there's room for improvement. Interesting idea about the magazines, I'll give that a whirl.

RylisPro,

I went to high school in willows and my family is from there (rice farmers). I have driven 2 24 Hour Lemons races there and LOVE that track! If I have the time and budget I'll certainly make it down there for some laps.

All of you "Red Brick" guys......Not a bad idea

Pick one:

REDBRIK
REDBRIC
RDBRICK

Attached picture 8205401-TrackDay6.jpg

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/12/14 01:37 AM

Coupe more

Attached picture 8205402-TrackDay4.jpg

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/12/14 01:38 AM

Last one, once I figure out how to reduce and post video I'll post a couple

Attached picture 8205405-TrackDay2.jpg

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/12/14 01:48 AM

Looking good!

How about REDBRCK?

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/12/14 01:50 AM

REDBRIK

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/12/14 02:34 AM

In Chicago it would be "Da Brick"
France "Le Brick"

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/12/14 02:40 AM

Quote:

In Chicago it would be "Da Brick"
France "Le Brick"

no LE LEs here!!!

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/12/14 04:52 AM

Awesome, upload the vids to Youtube then copy paste the links. I like videos, and REDBRIK.
Posted By: lilcuda

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/12/14 05:56 PM

Very cool! Looking forward to seeing the videos. I wouldn't paint it if it were mine. I love the sleeper look.

Cast one more vote for REDBRIK.
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/12/14 06:36 PM

"Da Brick".... I like that! how bout "Bad Ass Brick"?
Posted By: GY3

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/12/14 10:21 PM

BUNDY1

In honor of Al Bundy's "Dodge".

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/12/14 10:36 PM

Yea, been there done that. This is our Lemons car, -Our team name? Team Bundy - 1973 "Dodge Duster" (as Al used to call it) it was even the same original color!

Attached picture 8206311-8192521-LemonsDuster2.jpg

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/12/14 10:39 PM

It changed over the years, being brown, red, blue, and I think yellow, changed years as well but the brown one seemed to end up on screen the most.

Attached picture 8206315-AlBundyDuster.jpg

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/12/14 10:46 PM

Ok....So it looks like REDBRIK it is.

Attached picture 8206322-DusterBundyLemons.jpg

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/13/14 01:50 AM

Quote:

Crap. Missed out on this one. Do you mind sharing what you paid for it? CL ad is expired. The first time I saw this car, I wanted it. Missed my chance. Sigh.

Your car is only a few mega-dollars short of achieving the same thing and it's already got the third pedal...

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/21/14 03:57 AM

Well I have a video...It sucks because it was a last minute job with my hand held camera velcro'd to the dash and my chip didn't have much recording time left on it but it's a small window into what track day was like. I only made about 10 laps to check the car and the track out, next time will be a bit more serious.

Youtube Linky

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/21/14 04:08 AM

Looks like you had fun there. A little air time too.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/21/14 06:39 AM

The video was good. I really like the sound of that Valiant's roar. I kind of wish my Dart had a little grunt to it, it barely whispers at full throttle.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/21/14 06:55 AM

Quote:

Well I have a video...It sucks because it was a last minute job with my hand held camera velcro'd to the dash and my chip didn't have much recording time left on it but it's a small window into what track day was like. I only made about 10 laps to check the car and the track out, next time will be a bit more serious.

Youtube Linky

Looks good. I should have some footage of the car from the 2007 SFSF event, but I haven't watched the video in a long time. Steve may know as he's got a copy.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/21/14 09:46 PM

Quote:

Youtube Linky

Did you have the lower gears in the car when you ran it?

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/21/14 10:15 PM

Nope, 4 speed and 2.94's as delivered. It actually runs pretty darn well just like it is, I was loosing traction exiting the slower corners (worn tires were a factor).

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/21/14 10:22 PM

Optima is going to have a Ultimate Streetcar deal in Portland I think this weekend. You should make a showing.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/21/14 10:33 PM

Man that would be cool! Not sure I can make it though. Ironically Ill be in Portland Tues/Weds this week.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/21/14 10:49 PM

Thanks for sharing the video, Scott! Car runs great! Definitely a beast

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/21/14 10:55 PM

Quote:

Nope, 4 speed and 2.94's as delivered. It actually runs pretty darn well just like it is, I was loosing traction exiting the slower corners (worn tires were a factor).

With a little gear in the butt that thing should grab RPM rather quickly. Was the torque a help going out of the corners. notice you had to down shift quite a few times.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/21/14 11:09 PM

Quote:

Man that would be cool! Not sure I can make it though. Ironically Ill be in Portland Tues/Weds this week.

I am sure there are qualified drivers here that might offer to drive said car at a discount rate and are not yet on the TSA "do not fly" list.

And just to be clear, I might be on the list.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/21/14 11:19 PM

Im no super star race car driver thats for sure, especially on a track Ive only been around a few times in a car Im not yet totally familiar/comfortable in......But that'll change with practice. We'll see about this weekend, its a longshot. Yes the torque is Very handy!

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/21/14 11:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I am sure there are qualified drivers here that might offer to drive said car at a discount rate and are not yet on the TSA "do not fly" list.

And just to be clear, I might be on the list.

If Scott can't run the car and wants to have a 'hired gun' run the car, that hired gun needs to be Tim Werner.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/22/14 12:44 AM

Quote:

Im no super star race car drovet thats for sure, especially on a track Ive only been around a few times in a car Im not yet totally familiar/comfortable in......But that'll change with practice. We'll see about this weekend, its a longshot. Yes the torque is Very handy!

Hard to beat a stroker

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/22/14 06:56 AM

Portland in a paddled Hellcat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As0MWXZVArw

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/22/14 10:52 PM

Okay after seeing the redbrick and the hellcat run I want in on a match up road race

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/23/14 12:33 AM

Same power to weight ratio so it would come down to driver skill and tires. The Hellcat probably has better aero so maybe an advantage on a long track. The Hellcat is super heavy so dragging all that weight around the track would take a toll on the tires and brakes.

Now if you put the Hellcat engine in the Valiant you would have a fun car.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/23/14 12:34 AM

Im at the track now. No Valiant, just not enough time to make that happen

Ill tell you one thing, if I saw the Valiant even hold its own against a Hellcat and I owned the Hellcat, Id want my money back

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/23/14 12:36 AM

I've seen that Valiant go right by a fair number of Vipers at the track. Viper guys usually aren't too happy about it either.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/23/14 12:47 AM

Now I am really curious how my car will do it has more power more transmission and gear better front to rear ratio and lighter

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/23/14 12:56 AM

Quote:

Now I am really curious how my car will do it has more power more transmission and gear better front to rear ratio and lighter

only ONE way to find out.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/23/14 01:05 AM

Well I have had it at road Atlanta and I have way past 160mph and suspension is still mopar most of it lol

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/23/14 01:29 AM

Quote:

Well I have had it at road Atlanta and I have way past 160mph and suspension is still mopar most of it lol

Torsion bars and leaf springs?

What is "it"?

Please share some details and pictures of it?

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/23/14 01:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Torsion bars and leaf springs?

What is "it"?

Please share some details and pictures of it?

Kota is this guy:
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rt=all&vc=1

Where are you located, Kota?

Are you in for the Mopar shootout in 2015? Give us some details and pictures- sounds like a wicked ride.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/23/14 01:47 AM

Torsion bars have been gone a long time

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/23/14 02:03 AM

Quote:

Torsion bars have been gone a long time

So what does it have? Spill the beans on the build.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/23/14 02:08 AM

Race me then I will tell

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/23/14 02:22 AM

Quote:

Race me then I will tell

I'm your huckleberry.

Come to Texas and let's go.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/23/14 02:29 AM

I am in ATL

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/23/14 03:52 AM

Both the Valiant and the Hellcat have 275 wide tires but the Hellcat weighs 1200 lbs more. So my guess is that the Valiant would have an advantage. Power to weight ratio is the same for both at 0.16 so no advantage there. The Hellcat has more gears in the tranny so that might be an advantage.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/23/14 12:32 PM

3,100lbs 50.7% front 49% rear 630hp at 6800 540 tq at 5100
275 front 315 rear viper 6spd 3.89 gear

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/23/14 03:17 PM

Quote:

3,100lbs 50.7% front 49% rear 630hp at 6800 540 tq at 5100
275 front 315 rear viper 6spd 3.89 gear

What model body?

Let's pick a date for you to come to Texas. In the fall, when it's not so hot.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/23/14 03:28 PM

Gotta love invisible top secret cars, their great to look at.

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/23/14 03:49 PM

Early a body I would like to see us all run together

Attached picture 8217145-image.jpg

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/23/14 06:21 PM

Excellent choice!

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/24/14 01:20 PM

Thanks it's for sale I bought another one to take to the next level

Re: no talk of Tim's Valiant being for sale here - 07/26/14 07:12 AM

Quote:

Looks like a different car with stripes!

Looked at a local 71 this evening. One owner car. Yellow. Has a call-out hood, auto on the column. Original motor and trans. Has a sears 8 track in the dash" the car has been around for years. Unfortunately the owner has no interest in selling
© 2024 Moparts Forums