Moparts

Gen 1 Viper caliper deal or not?

Posted By: Pool Fixer

Gen 1 Viper caliper deal or not? - 01/19/14 09:18 PM

Rock auto lists them for 150 each which includes core charge. Seems like a good pric for rebuilt viper calipers. I thought it was only a rebuild svc for those who have existing calipers but i cant find anything that says so. I was considering dr diff adapter kit for gen 1 viper calipers on 11.75 rotors. Is the rock auto deal too good to be true?

Attached picture 8003948-Screenshot_2014-01-19-14-07-46.png
Posted By: pro451bee

Re: Gen 1 Viper caliper deal or not? - 01/19/14 09:34 PM

Yep thats a good deal
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Gen 1 Viper caliper deal or not? - 01/19/14 09:47 PM

Anyway to use those calipers with 13" rotors?
Posted By: brads70

Re: Gen 1 Viper caliper deal or not? - 01/19/14 09:49 PM

That does seem like a good deal. Used Viper calipers in decent shape seem to start at $300 and go up? Maybe phone them and confirm first?

Re: Gen 1 Viper caliper deal or not? - 01/19/14 10:05 PM

Quote:

That does seem like a good deal. Used Viper calipers in decent shape seem to start at $300 and go up? Maybe phone them and confirm first?

I am so used to clicking my way through life that calling them hadnt even occured to me lol. I will tomorrow and let you guys know. Not sure what ill end up with as im considering a few options. AR engineering also makes adapter kits for 2 different wilwood calipers and i wouldnt have to ditch my A body disc knuckles or 1" unicast rotors.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Gen 1 Viper caliper deal or not? - 01/20/14 02:23 AM

Quote:

That was the OEM setup. I ran Gen 1 calipers and rotors on my Coronet for awhile.

Re: Gen 1 Viper caliper deal or not? - 01/20/14 02:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That was the OEM setup. I ran Gen 1 calipers and rotors on my Coronet for awhile.

I should have been more specific.

Are there any kits to run these Gen 1 calipers with 13" rotors.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Gen 1 Viper caliper deal or not? - 01/20/14 05:57 AM

I sold a kit for about 10 years but finally killed it since sales were very slow.

Re: Gen 1 Viper caliper deal or not? - 01/20/14 06:02 AM

Quote:

I sold a kit for about 10 years but finally killed it since sales were very slow.

Yea, I thought that was the only 13" kit for that. I should have bought Tim W's used brake stuff when I had the chance.
Posted By: dickdale

Re: Gen 1 Viper caliper deal or not? - 01/20/14 05:50 PM

They also offer the 3th/4th generation caliper for $229.79...

Re: Gen 1 Viper caliper deal or not? - 01/21/14 03:39 AM

Before i got a chance to call they disappeared out of my cart and i got a message saying no longer available
Posted By: 1fastabody

Re: Gen 1 Viper caliper deal or not? - 01/21/14 03:11 PM

Just a hint, never make a good deal public! Ask the question but don't tell the source. Someone most likely read your post and thought it was a good deal too. I'm sure they will get more in as their stock changes all the time.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Gen 1 Viper caliper deal or not? - 01/21/14 03:32 PM

Quote:

Just a hint, never make a good deal public! Ask the question but don't tell the source. Someone most likely read your post and thought it was a good deal too. I'm sure they will get more in as their stock changes all the time.

No doubt!

Excuse me, I'd like to spend some more money here and it appears your price is too low.....................

Way to go, whoever did that!

My nomination for thread of the year!
Posted By: megajoltman

Re: Gen 1 Viper caliper deal or not? - 01/21/14 05:22 PM

I was going to say that's a smoking deal, I had a hard time finding decent used ones at that price....
Posted By: feets

Re: Gen 1 Viper caliper deal or not? - 01/21/14 06:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No doubt!

Excuse me, I'd like to spend some more money here and it appears your price is too low.....................

I didn't read it that way.

It seemed to me to be a suggestion to call and verify the availability and confirm that it wasn't a rebuild service.

Re: Gen 1 Viper caliper deal or not? - 01/22/14 12:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

No doubt!

I want to believe this isnt directed at me

Re: Gen 1 Viper caliper deal or not? - 01/22/14 12:52 AM

Quote:

Yes i see your point, their stock levels do appear to change. That deal could easily conme along again. Believe me if i was that hot for them id have bought them immediately. Worst case they would have said sorry this really is a rebuild svc or id end up with calipers that i could resell prob for what i paid. I posted this thinking i may go for them and if not someone else in this section could benefit.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Gen 1 Viper caliper deal or not? - 01/25/14 02:46 PM

I tried to buy those calipers a long time ago. got to checkout page, and got a message that said "this product is not available due to lack of inventory. Please purchase rebuild service to have your cores rebuilt and returned to you"

Not sure why they even list it as an option to buy outright, if they have no core inventory to sell.
Posted By: PHJ426

Re: Gen 1 Viper caliper deal or not? - 02/10/14 03:28 AM

I had bought a pair of used First Gen Viper calipers off of a local CL ad for $150 for the pair. That was a screaming deal and they are out there. Keep looking
Posted By: AlexP

Re: Gen 1 Viper caliper deal or not? - 02/10/14 05:05 AM

What surprises me is the amount people want for A-body drum knuckles now that they know that they can be used for good brake set ups.

If anyone knows of an affordable set, let me know.
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: Gen 1 Viper caliper deal or not? - 02/10/14 07:34 PM

They are getting hard to find, even the disc spindles from the same. What is the going rate now?
Posted By: AlexP

Re: Gen 1 Viper caliper deal or not? - 02/10/14 07:38 PM

Quote:

They are getting hard to find, even the disc spindles from the same. What is the going rate now?

I've seen both disc and drum for no less than $100...sometimes more.
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Gen 1 Viper caliper deal or not? - 02/11/14 03:23 AM

My First generation Viper brake kits fit B-body drum knuckles as well as late A-body drum knuckles.

http://www.doctordiff.com/viper-caliper-mounting-brackets-for-mopar-drum-knuckles.html
Posted By: GY3

Re: Gen 1 Viper caliper deal or not? - 02/16/14 10:47 PM

Archer Racing used to have brand new takeoff Viper Calipers. That's where I bought mine.
© 2024 Moparts Forums