Moparts

Gauging Interest in Hawk HP+ for Mopar 11.75" Pin

Posted By: AlexP

Gauging Interest in Hawk HP+ for Mopar 11.75" Pin - 09/23/13 05:47 PM

I just called up HAWK to see if they will make an HP+ since they make an HPS for that pad. He said it would take an order of about 12 sets. I'd be down to buy 2 or 3 to have until I get sick of 11.75" Brakes. I've got a set of Firm Feel Carbon Metallic and I'd like to have more options. I've got no idea of pricing yet.

The HPS is priced around $60.

http://www.hawkperformance.com/performance/hpplus.php

Let me know if anyone would like to go in on this.

Thanks,

Alex
Posted By: Dan@Hotchkis

Re: Gauging Interest in Hawk HP+ for Mopar 11.75" Pin - 09/23/13 06:03 PM

I could probably be talked into a set for the wifes Dart (71 B-Body Discs).

Re: Gauging Interest in Hawk HP+ for Mopar 11.75" Pin - 09/23/13 06:12 PM

I figure it is the best you can do for the factory caliper and rotor.

I'm going to push the 11.75's until I'm ready for a Dr. Diff kit.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Gauging Interest in Hawk HP+ for Mopar 11.75" Pin - 09/25/13 03:11 PM

I'll take a set or two.

So a 12 set run, do they expect you to buy them all up front or are they willing to make the run on a verbal commitment?

Re: Gauging Interest in Hawk HP+ for Mopar 11.75" Pin - 09/25/13 04:13 PM

Right now, they're going to need one purchase.

I wouldn't mind fronting the cost of how ever many sets they need to confirm a build. I trust moparts members and wouldn't mind keeping them all until I get payment and ship them out one by one.

I'm expecting an email with the quantity needed and pricing any day now.

Re: Gauging Interest in Hawk HP+ for Mopar 11.75" Pin - 09/25/13 05:10 PM

They said that their engineering department can't do it.

Welcome to the unloved world of mopar.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Gauging Interest in Hawk HP+ for Mopar 11.75" Pin - 09/25/13 06:52 PM

Quote:

An we wonder why so much has gone to China.
Posted By: RylisPro

Re: Gauging Interest in Hawk HP+ for Mopar 11.75" Pin - 09/25/13 06:58 PM

Just get the Dr. Diff 13" kit
Uses a 3rd gen Viper pad
Plenty of Carbotech options
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Gauging Interest in Hawk HP+ for Mopar 11.75" Pin - 09/25/13 07:20 PM

Quote:

Any particular reason?
Still not enough sets for a run?
Posted By: PHJ426

Re: Gauging Interest in Hawk HP+ for Mopar 11.75" Pin - 09/25/13 07:43 PM

Install first gen viper calipers on the 11.75 rotors and there are equally as many choices in brake pads......
Posted By: feets

Re: Gauging Interest in Hawk HP+ for Mopar 11.75" Pin - 09/25/13 09:36 PM

Quote:

Just get the Dr. Diff 13" kit
Uses a 3rd gen Viper pad
Plenty of Carbotech options

Many people want inproved braking while keeping their original wheels.

I'm a big fan of larger brakes (obviously) but understand the desire to maintain the wheels.
Posted By: RylisPro

Re: Gauging Interest in Hawk HP+ for Mopar 11.75" Pin - 09/25/13 10:13 PM

Majority of braking depends on tires and contact patch. Would love to stay 15 inch wheels but not a lot of extreme perfomance summer tires in that size. Mostly 17 or 18 inch sizes

Re: Gauging Interest in Hawk HP+ for Mopar 11.75" Pin - 09/26/13 03:34 PM

I just think there are a lack of good pads for the 11.75" Pin/Slider. An HP+ with a single piston caliper and a 12.2" rotor stops my 3300 lb GTI Like a champ. I've had a 14" brembo 4 piston on the car and it stopped amazingly well.

Good pads even with the single caliper would do well for even the majority of the aggressive street drivers and light HPDE people here.

I will end up with a Dr. Diff kit, but for now pads would solve a lot of problems.
Posted By: Uhcoog1

Re: Gauging Interest in Hawk HP+ for Mopar 11.75" Pin - 09/28/13 01:15 PM

Porterfield makes custom brake pads. Call them up and see what they can do. Also- they may already have a pad for the 11.75 caliper in one of their in-house compounds.

http://porterfield-brakes.com/categories/shop/Custom+Brake+Pads.html
Posted By: DynoDave

Re: Gauging Interest in Hawk HP+ for Mopar 11.75" Pin - 09/28/13 04:16 PM

Quote:

They said that their engineering department can't do it. Welcome to the unloved world of mopar.

That's unfortunate, but thank you for your efforts on our behalf.

Quote:

Porterfield makes custom brake pads. Call them up and see what they can do. Also- they may already have a pad for the 11.75 caliper in one of their in-house compounds.

Thanks for the link!

Re: Gauging Interest in Hawk HP+ for Mopar 11.75" Pin - 09/30/13 05:56 AM

Quote:

I called them right after Hawk said no. Waiting on a call back or email.
Posted By: dangina

Re: Gauging Interest in Hawk HP+ for Mopar 11.75" Pin - 09/30/13 07:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I do know they make the rear drum brakes for our cars, I think they would make the fronts as well
Posted By: mod5v

Re: Gauging Interest in Hawk HP+ for Mopar 11.75" Pin - 10/02/13 06:55 PM

Is there a different pad for the 10.5 v/s 11.75 rotor? I have calipers and brackets for the smaller 10.5" rotors off a 73 charger. Was hopeing to find some decent pads for them. they are the pin type.
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Gauging Interest in Hawk HP+ for Mopar 11.75" Pin - 03/23/14 01:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Alex, did you ever get any more info on this?

Re: Gauging Interest in Hawk HP+ for Mopar 11.75" Pin - 03/23/14 06:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Alex, did you ever get any more info on this?

No, I gave up. I've got a set of the HPS for back up until I get a set of Dr. Diff Brakes. I'll have to step up to a different caliper to get a good pad. Sad, but true.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Gauging Interest in Hawk HP+ for Mopar 11.75" Pin - 03/23/14 07:39 AM

Look at the crown vic dual piston calipers, the 11.75 is close enough to the 12.02 that it might be a viable option. Tim
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Gauging Interest in Hawk HP+ for Mopar 11.75" Pin - 03/24/14 06:10 AM

Quote:

Can't or won't?

If they already make a pad for that app exactly how much more engineering and rocket science is involved in making one out of a compound they already have and bonding it to a core?? If the real reason is 12 sets won't pay to start the machinery then spit out a number that will.

Just another in a long line of companies that only want to sell parts they want to sell, not parts people want to buy.

Kevin
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Gauging Interest in Hawk HP+ for Mopar 11.75" Pin - 03/24/14 02:03 PM

Quote:

[
Can't or won't?

If they already make a pad for that app exactly how much more engineering and rocket science is involved in making one out of a compound they already have and bonding it to a core?? If the real reason is 12 sets won't pay to start the machinery then spit out a number that will.

Just another in a long line of companies that only want to sell parts they want to sell, not parts people want to buy.

Kevin

If people wanted to buy those parts they could sell more than 12 of them.

Just because you want something doesn't mean someone else wants to pay for it. Now, I bet if you called them up and said "I want 1000 sets, paid for up front" the would fire up the machinery. Then you could figure out how to sell them.

Ever reline brakes? I have.

Why not reline your own?

Re: Gauging Interest in Hawk HP+ for Mopar 11.75" Pin - 03/24/14 04:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

[
Can't or won't?

Kevin

If people wanted to buy those parts they could sell more than 12 of them.

Just because you want something doesn't mean someone else wants to pay for it. Now, I bet if you called them up and said "I want 1000 sets, paid for up front" the would fire up the machinery. Then you could figure out how to sell them.

Ever reline brakes? I have.

Why not reline your own?

This is a very good point. If the manufacturing isn't cost-productive, it make no sense to make. We have this a lot for our Mopars unfortunately. Most companies aren't going to shut down their production of 10,000 Mustang brake pads to make a set of 10. If you want someone to blame, blame all the Mopar folks who own cars and don't drive them on the Autocross or track. Supply will follow demand.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Gauging Interest in Hawk HP+ for Mopar 11.75" Pin - 03/25/14 03:10 AM

Quote:

This is a very good point. If the manufacturing isn't cost-productive, it make no sense to make. We have this a lot for our Mopars unfortunately. Most companies aren't going to shut down their production of 10,000 Mustang brake pads to make a set of 10. If you want someone to blame, blame all the Mopar folks who own cars and don't drive them on the Autocross or track. Supply will follow demand.

I don't disagree but they were the ones to say buy 12 sets and we'll make them. If it took more sets then they should have spit out the right number.

$60 a set retail (if that's the price) is $720 which in their world is less than pocket change I'm sure but it would likely cover the cost of making 20 or 30 more sets just in case the guys that bought the 12 want more or heaven forbid tell somebody else and they want some too.

Plus it never occurred to them that a set could wind up in your hands.

Being as you're in the go fast around corners Mopar suspension business, if you thought they were better than anything else on the market and you would know the difference, you could conceivably add a line of brake parts to your Mopar line-up or pass on the info to whatever brake vendor you endorse and they make that 1000 unit order.

Just seems like a lost opportunity for them to get some market research done at little to no cost.

Kevin

Re: Gauging Interest in Hawk HP+ for Mopar 11.75" Pin - 03/25/14 06:04 AM

Both Wilwood and Baer make fantastic kits that have the pad selections you are looking for. Factory brakes are a good starting place, but far from the best. Hustling down a 3800lbs b-body from 140mph with 11 inch rotors and a single piston caliper; while exhilarating; is not my idea of fun.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Gauging Interest in Hawk HP+ for Mopar 11.75" Pin - 03/26/14 01:58 AM

Quote:

Is there a different pad for the 10.5 v/s 11.75 rotor? I have calipers and brackets for the smaller 10.5" rotors off a 73 charger. Was hopeing to find some decent pads for them. they are the pin type.

FF makes carbon metallic shoes for pin type... also drum shoes. I'm running their drum shoes on the rear and carbon metallic pads with 13" rotors in the front. It all works well but I don't have much comparison to share. In general the carbon metalic seems a little soft when dead cold and gets better bite as it warms.

http://www.firmfeel.com/carbonme_b.htm
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: Gauging Interest in Hawk HP+ for Mopar 11.75" Pin - 03/27/14 02:14 AM

Quote:

Now, I bet if you called them up and said "I want 1000 sets, paid for up front" the would fire up the machinery.

Doesn't always work that way.

I was dealing with one famous aftermarket forced induction company and offered to put up over $10,000 for them to combine two products they already made into one package. I'd be able to sell hundreds a year!

They refused, just had no interest in doing it they said.
© 2024 Moparts Forums