Moparts

Richard Petty on Wing cars Aero

Posted By: jcc

Richard Petty on Wing cars Aero - 06/08/13 03:02 AM

Current/newest HR mag received today interviews RP and he gives most detailed account of Wing cars rear vertical stabilizers that I have read. I knew they were beneficial, but he elaborates. Entire article is Worth reading IMO
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Richard Petty on Wing cars Aero - 06/09/13 10:50 PM

Article seemed more like a gloss over and probably "fluffed" by the editors at HR, the Chrysler wind tunnel test reports yield a tremendous amount of data should you be inclined to read it, in 2005 while on a personal invite to the Petty Compound in NC, I talked with Maurice Petty who was a tremendous wealth of information on how wingcars handled, and what they learned to do, and not to do on the track,...Richard was his usual self, just a bump on a log and aloof when it came to any interest in things "aero" or racing history, Maurice could talk for hours....now that would be the man to interview
Posted By: jcc

Re: Richard Petty on Wing cars Aero - 06/10/13 01:53 AM

Evidently though the Chrysler wind testing did not uncover the turning issue at speed that RP referred to, and likely Maurice figured out, which is the first I have ever read about that issue. Yes, Muarice was the "brains" of the outfit, and watched him at the track many times in the 60's, always with a wrench, a rag in his back pocket, and plenty of grease stains. He seldom got or likely sought much press, but I most certainly would buy any book he wrote.
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: Richard Petty on Wing cars Aero - 06/10/13 07:33 PM

About 25-30 years ago, I had a unique business trip to Petty Enterprises.. saw some really cool things... including their original older race cars (not the duplicates in some museums)... cool history.. even the "back-roads" where they'd test their cars before the coming race weekends.... if those roads could talk...!

Posted By: edco440

Re: Richard Petty on Wing cars Aero - 06/10/13 11:10 PM

Awesome Mitch!!! Did you meet Richie Barz or Maurice Petty? The kings car/engine builder? Would love to hear their stories!!!
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Richard Petty on Wing cars Aero - 06/11/13 02:11 AM

Quote:

About 25-30 years ago, I had a unique business trip to Petty Enterprises.. saw some really cool things... including their original older race cars (not the duplicates in some museums)... cool history.

A lot of those old racecars are still there in the warehouses, stacked on shipping racks collecting dust....
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: Richard Petty on Wing cars Aero - 06/11/13 04:34 PM

Sounds like maybe you've been there, too? The real "barn cars"!
Posted By: Dennis Flinchum

Re: Richard Petty on Wing cars Aero - 06/16/13 02:33 AM

Richard was the upfront man and Maurice handled the car...engine etc. I agree Maurice would be the best to talk with(a great guy). Richard was keeping everything kosher with the press and all. Maurice just kept the car upfront, so to speak but it was all a Petty effort.
Posted By: kilroy

Re: Richard Petty on Wing cars Aero - 07/06/13 04:50 AM

ya cause the dyno vs the real world /// driver of the car -v- tuner of car always are on same page.

Wish all the dyno result that we test would actually translate to real world then our money spent actually would be worth it value....
© 2024 Moparts Forums