Moparts

Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood

Posted By: Lefty

Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood - 04/03/13 11:32 PM

This is a fantastic deal. I've equipped several Mopars with big Wilwood front brakes and for 6 piston calipers and the big rotors this is at least $500-800 less than what you would pay normally.

They have kits for Mopar drum spindles as well as The Magnumforce drop spindles(Aspen).

http://www.wilwood.com/Promo/Promo1.aspx

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood - 04/03/13 11:37 PM

Forgot to add - Those 6 piston calipers would work great for manual discs using the Wilwood 7/8" master cylinder and a 6 to 1 pedal ratio.
Posted By: dart6

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood - 04/04/13 11:07 AM

i see they are for 62-69 b bodies wondering if it work on a 70
Posted By: BergmanAutoCraft

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood - 04/04/13 01:32 PM

Looks like a good deal, but why go through the expense when for a little more you could have 14" rotors? Also, are the Wilwoods weather sealed? I'm going to assume that some would like to attempt some type of track event if they are purchasing these brakes. I wouldn't advise doing it with drum brake sized bearings.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood - 04/04/13 03:58 PM

Quote:

Looks like a good deal, but why go through the expense when for a little more you could have 14" rotors? Also, are the Wilwoods weather sealed? I'm going to assume that some would like to attempt some type of track event if they are purchasing these brakes. I wouldn't advise doing it with drum brake sized bearings.

They are an integral rotor hat system correct? Which I do not prefer. Regarding the bearing question, depending on previous point, at least its steel hub, I have much concern over the common Wilwood alum hub/small bearing/Alter K solutions, including the 73+ bearing stuff style alum hubs, for any big car big tire track use. I do it and don't like it, but there really is no more robust system, until stepping up to maybe impala or Howe/Stock car hubs. Not having road salt issues in my area, I don't have a lot of concern with the seal issue, wisely or not.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood - 04/04/13 04:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

They are an integral rotor hat system correct? Which I do not prefer. Regarding the bearing question, depending on previous point, at least its steel hub, I have much concern over the common Wilwood alum hub/small bearing/Alter K solutions, including the 73+ bearing stuff style alum hubs, for any big car big tire track use. I do it and don't like it, but there really is no more robust system, until stepping up to maybe impala or Howe/Stock car hubs. Not having road salt issues in my area, I don't have a lot of concern with the seal issue, wisely or not.

Forged aluminum hubs

2 pc hat and rotor. Aluminum hat.

I believe this is what dan w from hotchkis uses on his blue rr. Dan?
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood - 04/04/13 04:27 PM

The description says the kits include a new, 1 piece iron rotor.

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood - 04/04/13 04:53 PM

Quote:

The description says the kits include a new, 1 piece iron rotor.

Picture on my phone looked like a two piece hat and rotor, but if I blow it up I don't see any bolts between hub and rotor. Clever.

You're right description says "new" one pc rotor. My guess is that's where the price "discount" comes from. So it's not really 100% the old kit?

Nonetheless its $995 for 13" one pc rotors, big road course 6/4 piston calipers, hubs, and complete bolt in kit. What other options are at the $1000 mark?
Posted By: mopardamo

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood - 04/04/13 10:41 PM

If I have this correct Dr. Diff has a 13" srt8 charger rotor matched with a viper caliper. I believe it's radial mount and about $1200. Not sure what the charger rotor makeup is? Cass am I close?

Damon

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood - 04/05/13 03:29 AM

Hi Damon,

My new kit includes all new parts: Plated, drilled/and/or/slotted 13 x 1.25" Mercedes rotors, fully machined forged aluminum hubs, red powder-coated radial mount Brembo style calipers, semi-metallic pads, billet aluminum caliper brackets, Timken bearings and DOT stainless flex hoses set up for A/B/E body disc knuckles. $1250

I can also provide a 14.25" version of this kit (Charger SRT rotor), but there are not many affordable 18" wheels that clear the large rotor.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood - 04/05/13 04:26 AM

I really dig the fact that mine is Mopar based.

Attached picture 7655095-004.JPG

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood - 04/05/13 06:25 AM

Quote:

Hi Damon,

My new kit includes all new parts: Plated, drilled/and/or/slotted 13 x 1.25" Mercedes rotors, fully machined forged aluminum hubs, red powder-coated radial mount Brembo style calipers, semi-metallic pads, billet aluminum caliper brackets, Timken bearings and DOT stainless flex hoses set up for A/B/E body disc knuckles. $1250

I can also provide a 14.25" version of this kit (Charger SRT rotor), but there are not many affordable 18" wheels that clear the large rotor.

That's a one piece rotor also. Somewhat comparable kit? but $250 more. Some differences?

Dr Diff, will yours fit under most 17" rims?

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood - 04/05/13 07:33 AM

Looks like my 13" x 1.25" kit costs $135 more than Wilwood's 12.88" x 1.1" kit after upgrading the rotor and adding DOT stainless flex hoses to the Wilwood offering.

In addition, I don't see anything compatible with standard Mopar disc knuckles.

As far as I know, most 17" wheels will clear.

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood - 04/05/13 08:18 AM

Quote:

Looks like my 13" x 1.25" kit costs $135 more than Wilwood's 12.88" x 1.1" kit after upgrading the rotor and adding DOT stainless flex hoses to the Wilwood offering.

In addition, I don't see anything compatible with standard Mopar disc knuckles.

As far as I know, most 17" wheels will clear.

Very good points. I thought there would be some differences. But didn't realize all the fine print.

Yours come with braided lines, Willwoods do not. Yours come with drilled and slotted rotors standard, with Willwood that is a $49 upgrade.
Posted By: moparAL

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood - 04/05/13 10:18 AM

Doctor Diff,

So what you are saying that your 13 inch front brake kit that comes with a 13 x 1.25 inch one piece iron rotors for 1,250. Do you have a 2 piece aluminum hat rotor option? and how much?
Posted By: Dan@Hotchkis

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood - 04/05/13 02:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Forged aluminum hubs

2 pc hat and rotor. Aluminum hat.

I believe this is what dan w from hotchkis uses on his blue rr. Dan?

I do. I would also add that I inspect my stuff and change pad frequently than most. If I lived back east I would clean my stuff more often, the Road Runner doesn't do too well on snowy roads.
I'd probably take my truck. But as for commuting and rain/etc, I haven't encountered any issues with the "no seal" wilwood stuff. If you are a set it and forget it kind of guy, stick with factory stuff.

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood - 04/05/13 03:03 PM

Baer makes 2 piece rotors that fit my front and rear brake kits, but they are very expensive. The Eradispeed front rotor upgrade runs something like $700.

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood - 04/05/13 03:32 PM

Quote:

the Road Runner doesn't do too well on snowy roads.

I suspect you are somewhat building off my comment with northern common applied road salt. I'm a Fla guy so I am going out on a limb here, but I suspect road applied salt during winter storms lasts as a dry powder for many months if not years after being applied, and with continuing corrosion issues, its not the snow (although driving the RR anywhere other then a large snow covered empty parking lot I suspect is somewhat nerve wracking) so much as the long lasting salt. Northern guys, am I correct?]
Posted By: dangina

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood - 04/05/13 05:35 PM

I bought the wilwood 13" kit with drilled/slotted rotors then sold the kit to get the doctor diff one. they donot come with brake SS lines and if you get the rears they do not come with the green bearings or proper parking brake lines which you have to factor into the price. Get the doctor diff kit
Posted By: mopardamo

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood - 04/05/13 08:37 PM

From my view point there is no doubt who's kit has the advantage when all the finer points are weighed. I'm calling Dr. Diff this year for his kit. I'll need a Dana 60 and rear brakes too. I think he goes to the Nat's so i'll save the shipping provided that is true this year?

Damon

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood - 04/05/13 10:36 PM

Quote:

Come on you guys. Don't poo poo stuff you really have no idea about. Nobody on this board is a experienced brake engineer - right?

Wilwood has been making brakes for a long long time and actually does have brake engineers working for them, not just people guessing.

This is the forum about high performance track ready Mopars, so we aren't talking about cars that will be driven in snow, mud etc.

I buy kit's from Dr Diff too. His rear cobra kit is the best out their imo as you don't need green bearings which do have a history of failures. The parking brake is great too as it's a bolt in with his replacement cable.

This kit from Wilwood is just ANOTHER option and you should be happy about it. We need more stuff like this from the aftermarket. The parts in the kit are available online from many vendors and the calipers can be rebuilt. There are many pad compounds to select from as well. The future is here, and I suspect if you drove a car with that kit you might be enlightened.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood - 04/06/13 01:20 AM

Quote:

This is the forum about high performance track ready Mopars, so we aren't talking about cars that will be driven in snow, mud etc.

Really?

Cars were made to be drive, so I drive them. Regardless of weather.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood - 04/06/13 01:50 AM

I also don't care for pulling my car apart for inspections every couple hundred miles.My garage is in an alley as well. Having to do a bunch of constant maintanence takes a whole bunch of fun out of it for me.

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood - 04/06/13 02:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Come on you guys. Don't poo poo stuff you really have no idea about. Nobody on this board is a experienced brake engineer - right?

Wilwood has been making brakes for a long long time and actually does have brake engineers working for them, not just people guessing.

I buy kit's from Dr Diff too. His rear cobra kit is the best out their imo as you don't need green bearings which do have a history of failures. The parking brake is great too as it's a bolt in with his replacement cable.

This kit from Wilwood is just ANOTHER option and you should be happy about it. We need more stuff like this from the aftermarket. The parts in the kit are available online from many vendors and the calipers can be rebuilt. There are many pad compounds to select from as well. The future is here, and I suspect if you drove a car with that kit you might be enlightened.

Since I am also admittedly not a mind reader while we are on topic of things us moparters are not , let me ask this question, care to share a clearer picture of what my quoted reply has to do with "poo pooing", experienced brake engineers, cars I already drive with Wilwood brakes, and my settle disdain for the premise sealed calipers are a must on our cars? I think you missed my entire point, or maybe not.

Let me add before anybody get s their feathers ruffled, I first saw the Wilwood super brake deal advertised about 10? days ago, it looked good and nice, I tried to see a catch, and the integral hat killed my interest, however I think for many it would be a big step up, and the integral hat is only an issue in certain cases, not most IMO. I have had Wilwwods for over 15? years on my cars. I have spent numerous calls on the phone with their tech people and engineers when I can find them at the annual PRI shows. I as already posted don't care about sealed calipers and sated why, and will admit that one day i might change my mind, and other often quoted gurus here on moparts think i am wrong, but I'm OK with that. Different Strokes. Poo pooing is IMO when crossing the line and just sour grapes, a mistake I try to avoid. And experienced engineers "guess" all day long, hopefully their guesses are more on target then the rest of us, but not alweys.
Posted By: moparAL

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood - 04/06/13 03:44 AM

Doctor Diff,

In regards about your 13 inch Mercedes rotor Mopar brake kit. The Baer Eradispeed 2 piece rotor that you mentioned, is it a stock Baer piece or does it have to be modified to fit your kit?

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood - 04/06/13 04:04 AM

Quote:

.... and the integral hat killed my interest, ...

Because the intergal hat designs are heavier? Or/and other reasons?

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood - 04/06/13 06:28 AM

The Baer Eradispeed rotor is a direct bolt on if I change the register size on my hub.

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood - 04/06/13 06:38 AM

I have no specific number's to back up that thinking, although it is something I believe, less flexibility on rotor duty options like weight, vanes, curved/straight, material, replacement ease and the option of floating rotors. Others have mentioned less warpage but haven't opinion on that based on experience.
Posted By: Jack Zupan

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood - 04/09/13 04:15 AM

Quote:

Hi Damon,

Does that mean if you have drum brakes you have to replace the knuckles in order to go to disc brakes?
Posted By: Mattax

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood - 04/09/13 01:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Really?

Cars were made to be drive, so I drive them. Regardless of weather.

Thank you! And if they were on this forum Scott Harvey and Ralph Beckman amongst a host of others would thank you too.

Attached picture 7660769-sno1202a.jpg
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Super disk brake kit deal from Wilwood - 04/11/13 12:29 PM

Quote:

This is a fantastic deal. I've equipped several Mopars with big Wilwood front brakes and for 6 piston calipers and the big rotors this is at least $500-800 less than what you would pay normally.

They have kits for Mopar drum spindles as well as The Magnumforce drop spindles(Aspen).

http://www.wilwood.com/Promo/Promo1.aspx

Not for a 71 B-Body?
© 2024 Moparts Forums