Moparts

Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV

Posted By: BIGMIKE@RIDETECH

Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 09/28/12 01:48 PM

At Indy Goodguys last weekend they coaxed the local newscaster into riding along in our 33 ford for a live feed. You can hear him screaming like a little girl and his face is priceless at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bhAx-hUp5A
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 09/28/12 02:39 PM

What an absolute sissy anti-car guy he must be.
Posted By: challenger70

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 09/28/12 03:03 PM

Quote:

What an absolute sissy anti-car guy he must be.

I woulda been running to get in
Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 09/28/12 04:21 PM

Bahahahaha! I would have enjoyed that spin-out so much. I would have told the guy, "Just start doing donuts!"
Posted By: 72d100

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 09/28/12 06:49 PM

He looked like he may need to change his pants
Posted By: amxautox

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 09/28/12 08:22 PM

Quote:

He looked like he may need to change his pants

I've heard that some people just riding along acually throw up when they get out of the car.
Posted By: Daty Rogers

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 09/28/12 08:52 PM

The look on his eyes post ride was priceless.

-Daty
Posted By: 5spdcuda

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 09/28/12 10:18 PM

I gave some rides to my drag racer buddy and to his wife and daughter [ 3 seperate rides ] at the recent Monster Mopar Indy event. They came away with a fresh perspective. Mitch Lelito gave my buddy a ride in his much more race oriented Challenger as well. Mitch's ride really impressed him. His wife told me that it sure looked different looking out the windshield than it did from watching from the outside. I asked their pre teen daughter if it was kind of like a carnival ride. She said it was worse. I take that as a compliment.
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 09/28/12 10:38 PM

thats a cool car...
Posted By: IndyDave

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 09/28/12 10:46 PM

Geez, Dick Wolfsie is such a PANSY!

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 09/28/12 11:28 PM

It didn't even look like that 'bad' of a ride. Fairly smooth even.
Posted By: nd65

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 09/28/12 11:50 PM

I rode in the Viper at MMW and thought I was gonna hurl lol.

Do you have to give up your man card for just feeling sick?

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 09/28/12 11:58 PM

Don't just ride along, anticipate the turns and 'lean' into them.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 09/29/12 12:14 AM

Quote:

Don't just ride along, anticipate the turns and 'lean' into them.

Many years back I took a one day road race driving school at the old Sportatorium Miami race track. There were a couple budding sport car racers as instructors, and they first suited us up and took us on an orientation ride around the course. I remember when I first strapped in how um-impressed I was as to how rusty and in poor shape the roll cage was on the passenger side. First turn, inches away from the guardrail, at around 100mph, I quickly found out how sweaty hands wreak havoc on painted roll bars.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 09/29/12 12:16 AM

You ought so see what I can do with an airplane, adds the third dimension. Dont like pukers though....

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 09/29/12 12:21 AM

Quote:

You ought so see what I can do with an airplane, adds the third dimension. Dont like pukers though....

Gimme a ride? I never did finish getting my license after I got laid off back in '73 for 2 1/2 years. When I went back to work I bought a Ramcharger, then a boat instead.

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 09/29/12 12:25 AM

Thanks, yours looks pretty darn good too.

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 09/29/12 12:29 AM

I remember you & your car. Very nice. Better tires would make quite a difference.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 09/29/12 07:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Gimme a ride? I never did finish getting my license after I got laid off back in '73 for 2 1/2 years. When I went back to work I bought a Ramcharger, then a boat instead.

Right now its in Alaska getting ready for another -60 winter...Tim
Posted By: nd65

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 09/29/12 12:38 PM

5spd, I am keeping my eye for some 17" wheels.

Really had a good time with you guys. It is neat to see someone with a car as nice as your hammer it good!!
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 09/29/12 03:48 PM

What a panty waist. Maybe he needs to rents some nads for assignment work.

Heck, he was afraid of the car before he even got in. I'm not suprised he was squealing like a pig.

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 09/29/12 04:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Right now its in Alaska getting ready for another -60 winter...Tim

Pay my way and I'll go up and fly it back down here.
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 09/29/12 09:12 PM

5spd cuda -- Thanks for the comments.. I'd taken a few of my drag racing friends on rides at the Monster Autocross... they were almost afraid and thought my driving was crazy.. fact is, I was under full control all the time (as most of us autocrossers know that we are under full control... most of the time!).

Mitch

Attached picture 7399655-Autobahn.JPG

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 09/30/12 01:06 AM

Hi Mitch, I guess you know about my "perfect timing episode". Except for one cone on Sat. all my runs were clean. Not as quick as I would like, but clean until Sun. I was giving a "demo ride" to Paul Field, one of the novices who showed up in the brand spanking new yellow 6.4 SRT Challenger. I was coming down off the banking just past the entry gate when the traction control in my right foot malfunctioned. Lit the tires up and just totally looped it. All I could tell Paul was "at least you know I wasn't phoning it in, I really was trying". The only time I really lost it, I had a novice for a passanger. Perfect timing.
Posted By: brads70

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 10/01/12 12:46 AM

Enjoyed watching that!

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 10/01/12 04:27 PM

To learn the limits of the car, a good driver will take the car to and beyond its limits, repeatedly, so you can drive right up to the maximum limit as a constant... another term is called "threashold driving". Its OK to lose it and spin... that's how the limit is eventually found.

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 10/01/12 04:53 PM

I think that's one of the best things about autocross. You can push to the limits and if you happen to cross over usually the only real damage is to your dignity.

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 10/01/12 06:57 PM

Quote:

To learn the limits of the car, a good driver will take the car to and beyond its limits, repeatedly, so you can drive right up to the maximum limit as a constant... another term is called "threashold driving". Its OK to lose it and spin... that's how the limit is eventually found.

Isn't there an old racing proverb that says something like if you never spin out, you likely are never driving fast enough?

Same for clutch engagement, if you never kill the motor upon starting, you probably are over slipping the clutch, only way to find limits is to cross them , just ask the mods here.

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 10/02/12 04:29 PM

Other "driving limits" include:

1. If the corner workers run away with fear when you approach the corner.

2. You only turn the wheel with anticipation that the car will turn while you already realize you're not going to make the turn.

3. You finally take a stretch of the course at 6000 rpm in 3rd gear when you were previously taking that same stretch of the course at 6000 rpm in 2nd gear.

4. The rescue team prepares to go after you but instead you fool everyone and keep on going.

5. After you've just made an amazing run on the course, you're shaking, phsically, but you're trying to remain and act cool to other's who are applauding your run.

6. The timing/scoring team presume there must have been a malfunction with the equipment becuase the time was, simply, too fast to believe!

And the list can go and on and on. Actually, there's a great listing previously published in Car and Driver and/or Road and Track magazines from many years ago... called ~~ "Are you driving the limit?"
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 10/03/12 02:33 AM

Look at the guy. He looks pretty seasoned to be thrown around as a passenger. I doubt that many guys his age are into this sort of thing. It is encouraging when I see someone over 50 that still likes to race, whether it is Road course or drag racing. It gives me hope for my future.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 10/03/12 02:49 AM

Quote:

Look at the guy. He looks pretty seasoned to be thrown around as a passenger. I doubt that many guys his age are into this sort of thing. It is encouraging when I see someone over 50 that still likes to race, whether it is Road course or drag racing. It gives me hope for my future.

If they had the need for speed when they were younger it's usually still there, some try to hide it & act dignified but it's still there...

Posers never had it, and when they get older it gets harder to "act cool"... That guy was never into speed....

Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 10/03/12 03:40 PM

Quote:

If they had the need for speed when they were younger it's usually still there, some try to hide it & act dignified but it's still there...

Posers never had it, and when they get older it gets harder to "act cool"... That guy was never into speed....

Amen to that. Its like a drug. Once you have it and you like it, you can never really get away from it.

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 10/03/12 06:26 PM

Once we're "over the hill.." we'll go FASTER!
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 10/04/12 12:04 AM

I want to make clear that I meant no disrespect to the elder members here or elsewhere. When I meet an older guy with similar interests, I really enjoy spending time with them.

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 10/04/12 12:06 AM

I didn't see it as an insult, so no problem.

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 10/04/12 01:42 AM

50! Only 50? I'ld be happy if I could still remember 50. I am too old and senile to even remember 50.

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 10/04/12 03:35 AM

What did he say? (Christmas vacation)
Posted By: IndyDave

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 10/04/12 10:54 PM

Damn youngins......

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!!

Re: Newscaster forced into autocross ride on TV - 10/05/12 03:36 AM

How's that again... "if you don't like how I drive, then get off the sidewalk!'?
© 2024 Moparts Forums