Moparts

B Body Sub Frame Connectors

Posted By: sixpkrt

B Body Sub Frame Connectors - 08/22/12 08:25 PM

I'm in need of recommendations of which sub frame connectors to use for my 70 Coronet.
I've been considering US Car Tool Part # USCT1M1101, since it looks like I wouldn't have to cut the floor, but I'm unsure how rigid these are. (I'm not racing my Coronet, but I do stomp on it occassionally).
The other question is to go with weld in or bolt on sub frames. Like mentioned above, I really don't want to cut the floor, so subs that run below the floor would be best.
Any feed back on best route to go would be appreciated.
Posted By: moparAL

Re: B Body Sub Frame Connectors - 08/22/12 08:57 PM

Check out Auto Rust Technicians www.autorust.com sub-fame connectors. Reasonably priced $120.00, Mopar guys, built in hole for emergency brake cables, and they hang high (from the pictures).
Posted By: Viol8r

Re: B Body Sub Frame Connectors - 08/22/12 09:32 PM

Quote:

Check out Auto Rust Technicians www.autorust.com sub-fame connectors. Reasonably priced $120.00, Mopar guys, built in hole for emergency brake cables, and they hang high (from the pictures).

Those Autorust connectors look reasonable. I run the Hotchkis connectors. By far the nicest on the market with no mods needed to the floor. They tie in from the front and use rear spring mount as a tie in point.
Posted By: HUSTLESTUFF

Re: B Body Sub Frame Connectors - 08/22/12 09:46 PM

Second the Hotchkis. Their design eliminates the need for torque boxes because they attach to the spring hangers and attach at the front frame rail. Mike
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: B Body Sub Frame Connectors - 08/23/12 01:50 AM

Rick Ehrenberg has made it clear that he prefers The thickest, boxed type connectors that you can use. The type that are contour cut to match the floorpan look clean, but they are only as strong as their thinnest section.
I made my own for less than $50. I did cut the tops to clear the floor, but REboxed where I cut to maintain stength.
Posted By: jcc

Re: B Body Sub Frame Connectors - 08/23/12 03:08 AM

Quote:

but REboxed where I cut to maintain stength.

I think a more precise statement might be:
"Reboxed where I cut to REGAIN SOME of the lost strength due to cutting."
Posted By: sixpkrt

Re: B Body Sub Frame Connectors - 08/24/12 03:36 AM

Thanks for the helpful info. Autorust had the connectors and torque boxes available as a kit. Seemed like the best deal. They should be here by next Wednesday.
Posted By: moparAL

Re: B Body Sub Frame Connectors - 08/24/12 06:32 AM

sixpkrt,

You are welcome. I am going to do exactly what you did, Autorust subframes and Autorust torque boxes kit. Good luck with your project.
Posted By: BrianShaughnessy

Re: B Body Sub Frame Connectors - 08/24/12 12:32 PM

Autorust stuff is fine. The torque boxes rock.

Got old MP sfc's and autorust boxes on Black Betty. Didn't have many choices 10 years ago.

Have USCartool sfc's and autorust boxes on Sinnamon. I was gonna use 2x3 steel and cut the floor but got talked out of it. Make no mistake the USCartool stuff is strong as all heck.

UScartools are definitely more work / welding but the end result looks good. The autorust and MP's are basic welded on square tubing. Functional. Maybe not the prettiest.

Anything is better than doing nothing at all.
Posted By: dangina

Re: B Body Sub Frame Connectors - 08/24/12 05:10 PM

I made my own this past winter for my 71 runner - get 1"x3" - clears the floor without cutting, cost was cheap (i think it was $30 for a 10' piece)

Posted By: ChrisUSCT

Re: B Body Sub Frame Connectors - 10/20/12 04:13 AM

Here are the US Car Tool Connectors Welded on!

Posted By: dangina

Re: B Body Sub Frame Connectors - 10/20/12 03:52 PM

Looks good!
Posted By: Explodo

Re: B Body Sub Frame Connectors - 10/20/12 11:28 PM

While it's true that taller ones will be stronger, my US Car Tool connectors are over 2" tall at the SHORTEST point.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: B Body Sub Frame Connectors - 10/21/12 02:20 AM

I covered the topic in my B-body book. I included pictures of various parts from different vendors.
Posted By: MidPenMopar

Re: B Body Sub Frame Connectors - 10/21/12 06:20 PM

Here is a photo of the ones on my roadrunner.

Attached picture 7429809-Subframeconnectors004.JPG
Posted By: MidPenMopar

Re: B Body Sub Frame Connectors - 10/21/12 06:21 PM

one more shot

Attached picture 7429811-Subframeconnectors006.JPG
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: B Body Sub Frame Connectors - 10/21/12 06:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

but REboxed where I cut to maintain stength.

I think a more precise statement might be:
"Reboxed where I cut to REGAIN SOME of the lost strength due to cutting."

Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: B Body Sub Frame Connectors - 10/22/12 12:06 AM

2x3" rectangle tube, .100 wall. Protrudes through the floor only in the back seat passenger feet area. It sticks up around 1" or so, trim the insulation out from the carpet over top of them, then throw your rug and floor mats in and it's not even an issue. Under the front seats and front passenger/driver feet area it stays under the floor. Cut a slot into the front of the rear sub-frame and the 2x3 tube fits right inside.
© 2024 Moparts Forums