Moparts

Reinforcing plate and adjustable leaf spring hanger Q?

Posted By: PHJ426

Reinforcing plate and adjustable leaf spring hanger Q? - 05/30/12 06:12 PM

Installing the Firm Feel adjustable (2 position) front leaf spring hanger and reinforcement plate on a 72 B body.

When using both of these together is it necessary to install longer studs into the front hanger?

I want full nut engagement to the stud as to maximize the clamping force. What is your experience with these 2 products used together?
Posted By: pauly v.100

Re: Reinforcing plate and adjustable leaf spring hanger Q? - 05/30/12 07:33 PM

I'm using the hangers without the plates and I have about 1/4" of the stud sticking out with the nuts tightened if that helps.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Reinforcing plate and adjustable leaf spring hanger Q? - 05/30/12 07:36 PM

No first hand experience with those two pieces, but the rule of thumb for thread engagement is you want at least the width of the stud to protrude through the nut as length. Skip using lock washers and use a chemical bonder like Loctite if you want an extra measure of confidence.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Reinforcing plate and adjustable leaf spring hanger Q? - 05/30/12 09:52 PM

There should be plenty of thread length to go thru the chassis as well as the plate.

The chassis sheet metal isn't very thick in the hanger box which is why the plates are a good idea. The factory nuts have an integral washer so they are taller than a simple hex nut, but there should still be plenty of thread for everything to fit.

The important thing is to put the reinforcement plates on the inside of the chassis so they actually reinforce the area. I've seen people put them under the spring hanger and then they are just a spacer. The only reason to put them under the hanger is to adjust the axle thrust angle.

Re: Reinforcing plate and adjustable leaf spring hanger Q? - 05/31/12 12:12 AM

Thanks the reply Andy.

Check I have the plate inside the torque box area not behind the hanger.

For some reason I was thinking there was more thread to get into the factory encapsulated washer and nut. But that was late last night after I had finished hanging everything.

Now that I have another look at it there is full engagement of the threads and a little more sticking out of the nut.

I think what got me more messed up is the local spring shop set me up with U bolts for the axle that are 19MM. The 3/4 Impact socket was just a tad too small for them.

Sorry about that...
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Reinforcing plate and adjustable leaf spring hanger Q? - 05/31/12 12:13 AM

Both the Army and Air Force spec. out 1-3 threads sticking through the nut, any more and its just extra weight.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Reinforcing plate and adjustable leaf spring hanger Q? - 05/31/12 02:45 AM

Quote:

Both the Army and Air Force spec. out 1-3 threads sticking through the nut, any more and its just extra weight.

I like the way you think, lightweight is where it's at!

Re: Reinforcing plate and adjustable leaf spring hanger Q? - 05/31/12 03:54 AM

Quote:

I think we are in spec then
Posted By: 70BigBlockSE

Re: Reinforcing plate and adjustable leaf spring hanger Q? - 06/01/12 02:22 AM

Quote:

Navy is the same way, contractors are penalized if too many threads are exposed.
© 2024 Moparts Forums