Moparts

Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work??

Posted By: smokes

Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 04/16/12 03:17 AM

So I am trying to do the 73 and up disc brake swap on my 71 Duster which will have a big block. I know after market brakes will out stop these but I can't afford those. I was at the junk yard today and saw a 78 Volare with front disc brakes fully intact with calipers and brackets. Will these brakes bolt onto my Duster or do I need something closer to the 73 year?
Posted By: 340duster340

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 04/16/12 03:38 AM

I would use a body spindles, and budget permitting tubular uca's come loaded with bushing and ball joints, so is worth considering.

this is a straight forward swap prob several posts here, or even search google.

if budget is an issue, get a donor car....I have gotten compete parts cars with disc brakes for 350. take what you need, swap your old parts, then scrap the rest.

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 04/16/12 03:49 AM

Yeah, I know about the swap for the73-76 a body brakes onto the 70-72 a bodys. I just was wondering if this is the same design found on this volare or if the parts are different? I want to find the 73-76 brakes because they have better brakes and bearings than the earlier brakes.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 04/16/12 06:12 AM

Yes the Volare stuff bolts right on once you replace the upper a-arm. You need the late model a-arms with the big ball joint.

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 04/16/12 04:57 PM

Great , I will go get this stuff today! I read an old mopar muscle that you can use B,F, M, J and R body brakes to put on your a body. I would assume this volare is one of these? I will be taking the upper control arms, and spindles and caliper brackets. I will probably also grab the proportioning valve as well just for good measure.
Posted By: Jjs72D

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 04/16/12 05:04 PM

Just to be clear.... ONLY the upper control arms from an A body will fit an A BODY. What Andy F meant was the later A BODY upper conrol arms. All 73 and later disc knuckles/spindles used a larger upper ball joint, and the older upper conrol arms with 9" drum brakes used a smaller ball joint.
Jeff
Posted By: VL21

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 04/16/12 05:09 PM

Yeah, that. I am too long winded.
Pre 73 B body uppers will work also, think 62 thru 72. (?)

Forget the Volare a arms, they won't work for you.
Just the stuff between the a arms, the spindles etc.
IIRC using the Volare stuff results in hose routing problems, tho not incurable.
I have a set of these, but also had A body stuff, and went with them.
The correct upper a arm you need is for the later A body.
Definitely an upgrade over the older small bolt/4 piston stuff.

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 04/16/12 05:18 PM

The car also has a sway bar on it and lower control arms that have the sway bar brackets on them will this also bolt up?
Posted By: VL21

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 04/16/12 05:35 PM

No help there, on mine I found a 73 up disc brake V8/ sway bar car, and swapped the whole thing into my 69.
The sway bar is more compact on the 73 up, it is possible the earlier set up with the front mounted 73 style calipers will interfere at full lock.
Using the rear mounted calipers would cure that problem, but introduces the hose routing problem. The Volare style has the hose/steel line in front of the spindle centerline. A body spindles are reversible side to side, I am thinking the FJM body ones are also. This would relocate the caliper.
I know this has been addressed by others, but not by me.
Not an incurable problem, tho.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 04/16/12 05:38 PM

Quote:

The car also has a sway bar on it and lower control arms that have the sway bar brackets on them will this also bolt up?

No, the Volare parts listed above do not interchange to an A body, nor do the upper control arms. Everything between the control arms will bolt in. Aspen/Volares are F bodies.

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 04/16/12 06:14 PM

Thanks guys! Looks like I will be using the pickle fork to separate them today!
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 04/16/12 09:35 PM

Somebody was selling a bushing for the ball joint stud to fit the small joints to the late spindles. Do a search on it....
Posted By: moparx

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 04/17/12 03:00 AM

Quote:

Somebody was selling a bushing for the ball joint stud to fit the small joints to the late spindles. Do a search on it....

dr.diff. part is excellent !
Posted By: cogen80

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 04/17/12 11:41 AM

Quote:

So I am trying to do the 73 and up disc brake swap on my 71 Duster which will have a big block. I know after market brakes will out stop these but I can't afford those. I was at the junk yard today and saw a 78 Volare with front disc brakes fully intact with calipers and brackets. Will these brakes bolt onto my Duster or do I need something closer to the 73 year?

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/dbconversion.shtml

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/spindles.shtml

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 04/18/12 01:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/dbconversion.shtml

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/spindles.shtml

Super helpful reading. It summarized all that I learned through the course of my research and put it all on one page! Thanks. I will keep you guys posted with some pictures of the swap!

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 07/25/12 03:12 AM

This swap should be going down this weekend with some pics to follow. I had new energy suspension upper control arm bushings installed and new ball upper ball joints installed. the spindles are painted silver with heat resistant paint and new calipers, bearings, rotors. Stay tuned for pictures, etc...

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 07/25/12 03:15 PM

So I was comparing parts last night and have a question. I am wondering if the lower ball joint and control arm from my 71 small drum brakes will bolt onto the spindles I have? Will I need to replace the control arm and lower ball joint as well or am I ok?
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 07/25/12 04:14 PM

Bolt hole may be smaller on the early drum LBJ.

If you are doing this, I'd buy fresh 73-76 A body lower ball joints. I believe you can ream the holes in your current lbj if bolt spacing is the same.

71 Control arm likely is a small stud ball joint. You need a sleeve or the large ball joint upper arm.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 07/25/12 04:38 PM

FWIW a word of caution...
The Volare/Aspen spindles are about 3/8" taller than the 73/76 A body spindles...
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 07/25/12 05:32 PM

Quote:

The Volare/Aspen spindles are about 3/8" taller than the 73/76 A body spindles...

I'd be curious how the FMJ spindles perform/align on the A bodies/(as I don't build A bodies)....I've used the FMJ spindles on B and E bodies for years with no major issues in regard to increased bumpsteer, or achieving caster alignment/specs, street/track or course cars regardless of the "drama' surounding their use, In fact I actually prefere their use on the 66-72 B/70-4 E platforms

Mike
Posted By: jrlegacy23

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 07/25/12 05:32 PM

Quote:

If you are doing this, I'd buy fresh 73-76 A body lower ball joints. I believe you can ream the holes in your current lbj if bolt spacing is the same.

71 Control arm likely is a small stud ball joint. You need a sleeve or the large ball joint upper arm.

You can use the lower control arms from your A-body, just not the ball joints. Stop down to your local parts store and grab the ball joints for a 73-76 A-Body. i did this swap on my 72 Dart.

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 07/25/12 05:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You can use the lower control arms from your A-body, just not the ball joints. Stop down to your local parts store and grab the ball joints for a 73-76 A-Body. i did this swap on my 72 Dart.

Just to clarify the lower control on my 71 drum brake will work with my volare spindles? I just need to get 73 and up lower ball joints, which will bolt to my volare spindles? These lower ball joints also are compatible with my 71 control arms, in terms of diameter of ball joint studs?

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 07/25/12 05:58 PM

Simply put.... yes.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 07/25/12 06:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'd be curious how the FMJ spindles perform/align on the A bodies/(as I don't build A bodies)....I've used the FMJ spindles on B and E bodies for years with no major issues in regard to increased bumpsteer, or achieving caster alignment/specs, street/track or course cars regardless of the "drama' surounding their use, In fact I actually prefere their use on the 66-72 B/70-4 E platforms

Mike

Same results as you've got in the past.

IIRC, I believe the red 68 Valiant of Tim Werner's that AndyF posts pictures of has FMJ spindles?? AndyF, confirm/deny?
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 07/25/12 09:29 PM

Sure, I've been recommending the tall knuckles for years. They are lighter and you get a better camber curve with them. The trick is to use the upper control arms from www.firmfeel.com which have the tweaked ball joint angle.

I'm working on a project now where the knuckle is even taller than the FMJ one. The guys at Firm Feel are building me custom upper arms to make it all work. I'll post some pictures once we get it all together.

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 07/25/12 10:51 PM

PM me if your interested. I have a set of magnum force tubular upper control arms I would be willing to sell or trade. I am changing to a tubular K-Frame and coilovers. The kit came with new ones. These are the ones I have, but mine are powder coated gray vein.
http://www.magnumforce.com/store/image.aspx?src=2544%5Fblack%2Ejpg&Size=450
Posted By: sparcy

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 07/26/12 03:22 AM

I own a set of magnum force adjustable upper control arms !!! cost me 450. plus powder coat they are red !!! I have, and only own B bdys I ordered b body they sent me a body and they wouldnt take them back !!!! so there red , brand new in the box !!! I will give u a good deal !!!PM ME!! you always want adjustable READ how to make your muscle car handle by mark savitske !!! I have ben down both roads IF U CAN GET IT ADJUSTABLE do it !!!
Posted By: brads70

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 07/26/12 08:54 PM

Quote:

Sure, I've been recommending the tall knuckles for years. They are lighter and you get a better camber curve with them. The trick is to use the upper control arms from www.firmfeel.com which have the tweaked ball joint angle.

I'm working on a project now where the knuckle is even taller than the FMJ one. The guys at Firm Feel are building me custom upper arms to make it all work. I'll post some pictures once we get it all together.

I agree , that's why I used the 73 C-Body spindle!

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 09/03/12 12:37 AM

New question about this swap. I was comparing my new 73-76 A body ball joints and after comparing them to the volare pieces I noticed a difference. The volare pieces are threaded where they bolt onto the volare spindle. The A body lower ball joints are not threaded. Do you guys just purchase bolts that can pass through both and capture with a nut and lock washer or is there something else I need to get??

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 09/03/12 01:18 AM

Quote:

New question about this swap. I was comparing my new 73-76 A body ball joints and after comparing them to the volare pieces I noticed a difference. The volare pieces are threaded where they bolt onto the volare spindle. The A body lower ball joints are not threaded. Do you guys just purchase bolts that can pass through both and capture with a nut and lock washer or is there something else I need to get??

Exactly, Read this: http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/spindles.shtml

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 09/03/12 01:30 AM

Thanks, after I posted this I did some more research including that page and answered my own question. Got a little ahead of my self in posting
Posted By: jcc

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 09/03/12 02:22 AM

Quote:

Got a little ahead of my self in posting

Well that means you fit in here very well.

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 02/05/13 12:24 AM

So I took the car on a quick drive around the block and found that the brakes are super soft and barely stop the car ( thankfully I have a working e-brake The brake pedal feel is not very good and I made sure to bleed the system twice and there are no more bubbles. I did purchase a new master cylinder for a 73+ A body with manual disc brakes (I did bench bleed the master)and also got a proportioning valve that is a stock replacement for the 73+ which when compared side by side with the old disc one is probably 20% bigger. Since the pedal is soft I was thinking that maybe I need to get an adjustable brake pedal push rod (from mopar performance) ? I was thinking this might be the only thing in the system to cause the pedal to be really soft?? I double checked and found no leaks in my brake system so I am kinda stumped... I did check the initial depth of the pistons in the back of the 2 masters and they look like there might be a difference of 1 mm at the most ( the new one is slightly deeper)... You guys have any thoughts?

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 02/05/13 05:10 PM

Anyone have any thoughts?? Help...
Posted By: runinonmt

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 02/06/13 04:17 PM

Unless you have an out of the norm glitch the most likely source of a soft pedal is air in the system,second a leaky (between the seals) master cykinder. The length of the push rod won't make a difference in the feel. Are the bleeders on the calipers at the top? If not you need get them there. Did you bleed it using a hand vacuum pump? Sometimes that won't get the job done and you have to get a helper to do it manually. I've only had this happen once. This all assumes you don't have a leak and the master cylinder is full.
Ron

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 02/06/13 05:07 PM

I will double check the air in the lines. I know I bled the system twice but I remember after I got done checking everything that the screw on the bottom of the proportioning valve was just a hair loose and I tightened it up. That could be causing the leak and the soft brake pedal... I will be bleeding the system tonight to double check.

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 02/06/13 08:43 PM

Quote:

I will double check the air in the lines. I know I bled the system twice but I remember after I got done checking everything that the screw on the bottom of the proportioning valve was just a hair loose and I tightened it up. That could be causing the leak and the soft brake pedal... I will be bleeding the system tonight to double check.

When you bleed the brakes, start with the furthest wheel from the master cylinder, otherwise you will be leaving air in the system.

Re: Disc brake swap on 71 Duster... will these work?? - 02/07/13 01:08 AM

Good call. I will make note of that.
© 2024 Moparts Forums