Moparts

Is the clock ticking?

Posted By: jcc

Is the clock ticking? - 04/01/12 03:23 AM

Posted in "general" in the can we have a 3G hemi forum post By member Grizzly:

Quote:
" I think we might want to include Modern Mopar Tech.

magnum engines
srt 4, 6, 8, 10 engines.

Maybe this would allow all the EFI engines to have its own place.

Just a thought!"

Great idea. That would keep the traffic up.

Take the "Suspension, Brakes, Steering, Handling, and Chassis Tech." section for example: Hardly any numbers viewing it. See for yourself, go back to the main page.

Why? Too specific. Anyone that dares to ask questions about how to replace ball joints, get better brakes on their truck, or set your toe-in for your daily driver will get chased out. Too bad, because a handfull of guys in "Corners are best" could probably answer alot of questions for the guy in his garage learning how to use a set of wrenches.

The attitude started with "I don't wanna have to weed through all kinds of crap" right off the bat and now the whole thing is grinding to a halt.

You can only talk about how to weld in sub-frame connectors or which is the best shock for auto cross so many times before it gets done to death.

Just a suggestion, take it with a grain of salt. Unquote

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post7141972
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Is the clock ticking? - 04/01/12 05:47 AM

Well Mopars already have a stigma that they are only good for one thing, going in a straight line, might at well continue to prove them people right. Look at all the For Sale forums that havent had traffic in probably at least 2 weeks.
Posted By: 68HemiB

Re: Is the clock ticking? - 04/01/12 06:07 AM

Quote:

The attitude started with "I don't wanna have to weed through all kinds of crap" right off the bat and now the whole thing is grinding to a halt.

Was this a valid observation?
Well, let's check a thread asking about fuel senders and pickups.

The VERY FIRST reply was a snarky "This relates to cornering?" and the second reply was someone quoting the first reply and jumping on the bandwagon.

Around moparts.com, the way a new forum comes to life is generally upon the death of another one.

Corners Are Best was built upon the ashes of the old Power Adders forum.

Yes, the clock is ticking, and replies like the above example don't help matters.
Posted By: ThermoQuad

Re: Is the clock ticking? - 04/01/12 01:43 PM

tick tock tick tock
This forum to will die a slow death as others have so I'm done with this. I know in the big picture of life it does not mean too much, but there is no moderating of threads and bad information along with general disrespect.

I spent many years learning from some of the best trying to achieve a street car that could run hot laps and survive. I have been successful and tried to share all that learning to help others as I have had very little technical help at times.

My best technical help has been Bill Reilly at RMS motorsports and my original mentor was Rick E.

The last straw for me besides winged wonders was welded k frames. I ran laps for years and learned early on that the k frame was and is the biggest weakest link.

Re: Is the clock ticking? - 04/01/12 02:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Was this a valid observation?
Well, let's check a thread asking about fuel senders and pickups.

The VERY FIRST reply was a snarky "This relates to cornering?" and the second reply was someone quoting the first reply and jumping on the bandwagon.

"snarky" is your only opinion, no more, and if asking a 4 word question generates a plie on because the messenger is over shadowed by the message, yes, IMO, the bell has already rung. And if you firmly believe your position, I suggest your reread the initial unedited OP, it only mentioned acceleration and heavy braking, both normally found in the here on moparts in the very prominent 1/4 mile crowd. Of course the OP might have inadvertently left out the INO very important element of cornering, but I am not not clairvoyant enough to make that conclusion, hence the simple, direct, and in your opinion "snarky", question. The post IMO started out somewhat incomplete and without a great deal of thought, and deserved the same effort in response. The post did of course evolve, after prodding by others. And of course there is crossover, but if members are so quick to slam one another personally instead of their ideas, suggestions, observations, etc. then drive the nail into this coffin and let the 3G crowd romp..
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Is the clock ticking? - 04/01/12 03:22 PM

Yup, the count down has started.

If the forum is too pointed to be welcoming to others who just have general suspension questions and a desrire to learn, then participation will slowly dwindle.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Is the clock ticking? - 04/01/12 05:47 PM

Quote:

tick tock tick tock
This forum to will die a slow death as others have so I'm done with this. I know in the big picture of life it does not mean too much, but there is no moderating of threads and bad information along with general disrespect.

I spent many years learning from some of the best trying to achieve a street car that could run hot laps and survive. I have been successful and tried to share all that learning to help others as I have had very little technical help at times.

My best technical help has been Bill Reilly at RMS motorsports and my original mentor was Rick E.

The last straw for me besides winged wonders was welded k frames. I ran laps for years and learned early on that the k frame was and is the biggest weakest link.

Wait Tom_Quad,

You asked and asked for this forum. Publicly groveled about it and wouldn't participate on Moparts without it. Now you want to run from it?

I realize it's frustrating when it's something a person is so passionate about. I empathize and feel the same way as you at times.

How about we be a little more excepting of other people's ideas? Even if we think they are wrong. And even if they are wrong. Such a "my way or the highway" makes everyone run to opposite sides of the room before even thinking about it.

There's more than ONE way to get to the same point. There are so many variables that there are many combinations that work. And not everyone is looking or expecting the same things out of thier car than you do. It's really hard to figure that out over the internet, so there is not much to work with. There are no clear cut right or wrongs regarding personal tastes and interpretation.

You know what, sometimes people are just wrong. And you just have to let them live with it and move on. Let them not get the benefit they thought they would.

Just present your case and experience in an open manner, then everyone else that actually does something will figure it out. Let go of the one guy to help 99 others.
Posted By: dangina

Re: Is the clock ticking? - 04/01/12 06:14 PM

I've learned a couple things from this section already - I hope it sticks around - lots of good ideas/knowledge to be had...
Posted By: topside

Re: Is the clock ticking? - 04/01/12 06:29 PM

Personally, I like the Corners Are Best section; I think it lags behind in posts because there are more drag racers here than road racers, but there's been stuff in there that was either useful or an opportunity to pass on some knowledge.

The bigger problem I think is two-fold:
1. Checking egos & superiority at the door.
2. Some folks wanting others to do all their research for them, and I don't mean exotic stuff but things that are already Archived here. That can be difficult to criticize, as I've missed or brain-farted some things myself.

Not everyone was raised by a mechanical engineer or Chrysler employee, nor were they trained to be objective and civil; everyone can learn the former, and should correct the latter, as the shoe fits.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Is the clock ticking? - 04/01/12 08:25 PM

A prime example of being OK with having narrow forum objective is the UNLAWFULS RACING ONLY forum. Look through the threads on their and about 50% are racing related specifically. Does someone get on their and say "And this relates to racing?" No........
Posted By: 68HemiB

Re: Is the clock ticking? - 04/01/12 08:49 PM

Quote:

I suggest your reread the initial unedited OP, it only mentioned acceleration and heavy braking, both normally found in the here on moparts in the very prominent 1/4 mile crowd. Of course the OP might have inadvertently left out the INO very important element of cornering, but I am not not clairvoyant enough to make that conclusion, hence the simple, direct, and in your opinion "snarky", question. The post IMO started out somewhat incomplete and without a great deal of thought, and deserved the same effort in response. The post did of course evolve, after prodding by others.

Some members can see that the sloshing of fuel can be both fore-and-aft and side-to-side without being clairvoyant.

Forcing a poster to clarify before deigning to answer the core question is an example of the "lack of inclusiveness" complaint.

First, prove to me that this is a cornering question and not a 1/4 mile crowd question, then maybe I'll give you my full attention.

How does this NOT turn someone off?
Answering a question or politely seeking clarification is the way to increase hits, replies, and new threads in this forum. Ultimately, that is what will keep it around longer. There are worse things than answering what you perceive as a slightly off-topic question. Are you having trouble wading through the bazillion pages of threads on this forum, or otherwise being frustrated that your topic is getting pushed down too quickly?

I had briefly considered [and then decided against] starting a thread here on "my preferred alignment specs". I was thinking that a thread with that title in a slower-churning forum might provide some value to those who seem perennially to ask that question in Q&A. I envisioned also giving lip service to specs for those who DON'T seek to make their classic car into an auto-crosser (think negative camber), trying to make the thread a big tent. Then I decided not to, for some of the reasons already cited.
Posted By: Mattax

Re: Is the clock ticking? - 04/01/12 10:11 PM

Fascinating, Captain.

Who started this section and where are they now? Or is it sort of free-form? If the founders sheparded it along, then it might grow in the direction they wished. Or maybe this is the direction wished, and then the question is should it be sheparded another way. If there are no founders per se, then those who wanted or still want this forum need to take the bull by the horns (tactfully).

With all due respect to the good intentions, this section seemed to lack clear purpose from the beginning. The title "Corners are Best" is of no assistance in this matter. It smacks of superiority, and yet of what? Is it actually the "Suspension, Brakes, Steering, Handling, and Chassis Tech" section, or is it a performance handling and handling improvement section, or a place to talk all non-straight line racing?

My two cents is that this section should be all handling related modifications and carry an attractive name like "Curves". Included should be everything from best factory setups to custom built, from street use to competition only.

This section can not be like the Unlawful Race Only for two reasons. First, those involved in non-straight line competion already have a number of other venues for discussion, if and when they so chose to do so. Second, there are many types of non-straight line activities so participation in a Moparts forum isn't going to generate much activity if its limited to one type.

Finally, general suspension, brakes, steering and chassis questions still belongs in General Tech. Otherwise General Tech becomes what? Electric and engine repairs and not so stock repairs and restifications. Nah. That makes no sense. Original suspension, brakes, steering and chassis discussions should be in Restoration, and those related to 1/8, 1/4, 1000' and 1 mile races still should post under Race Only. Yes there will be cross-over, especially with street cars that are driven for fun in variety of sanctioned activities. That aspect has already been well handled (get it?).

Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Is the clock ticking? - 04/01/12 10:54 PM

Quote:

Who started this section and where are they now?

Jan 11, 2012:

Attached picture 7146728-Jan112012.jpg

Re: Is the clock ticking? - 04/01/12 11:03 PM

January 12, 2012. A new forum is started.

Steve, you have the right ideas.

72Swinger: Way to stand up for yourself in that other thread.

Tom Quad: Please don't leave. I get alot out of everything you post.

jcc: Way to welcome the new guy.

Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: Is the clock ticking? - 04/01/12 11:25 PM

This forum better stay around. I have always had a great interest in handling, suspension, and braking but since I don't have a car to work on at the moment I really don't have too many questions. I sure have learned a lot on this forum though
Posted By: Mattax

Re: Is the clock ticking? - 04/02/12 12:05 AM

Thanks for the answers Grizzly.

Steve's ideas for stickies at the end of that thread could be a help for the forum. [Correction, its the people Steve is responding to that have the good sticky idea]. They would provide some sense of what the forum is about and would be a bit more welcoming. I'll be honest, I wasn't sure when I started "Where to Start? A Reading List" thread whether it would be welcome, even though it seemed to me that it was the type of thing that could be a sticky.

I'll also stand by my suggestions. That early discussion was good and healthy. Now as things have evolved, it seems to be time to revist. Again, it just my .02 as an ocassional participant. If you guys want to change the show thats fine, if you like it as it is, thats fine too.

Re: Is the clock ticking? - 04/02/12 12:24 AM

You bet.

I'm willing to steer the ship if you guys let someone know.

Re: Is the clock ticking? - 04/02/12 01:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I suggest your reread the initial unedited OP, it only mentioned acceleration and heavy braking, both normally found in the here on moparts in the very prominent 1/4 mile crowd. Of course the OP might have inadvertently left out the INO very important element of cornering, but I am not not clairvoyant enough to make that conclusion, hence the simple, direct, and in your opinion "snarky", question. The post IMO started out somewhat incomplete and without a great deal of thought, and deserved the same effort in response. The post did of course evolve, after prodding by others.

Some members can see that the sloshing of fuel can be both fore-and-aft and side-to-side without being clairvoyant.

Forcing a poster to clarify before deigning to answer the core question is an example of the "lack of inclusiveness" complaint.

First, prove to me that this is a cornering question and not a 1/4 mile crowd question, then maybe I'll give you my full attention.

How does this NOT turn someone off?
Answering a question or politely seeking clarification is the way to increase hits, replies, and new threads in this forum. Ultimately, that is what will keep it around longer. There are worse things than answering what you perceive as a slightly off-topic question. Are you having trouble wading through the bazillion pages of threads on this forum, or otherwise being frustrated that your topic is getting pushed down too quickly?

I had briefly considered [and then decided against] starting a thread here on "my preferred alignment specs". I was thinking that a thread with that title in a slower-churning forum might provide some value to those who seem perennially to ask that question in Q&A. I envisioned also giving lip service to specs for those who DON'T seek to make their classic car into an auto-crosser (think negative camber), trying to make the thread a big tent. Then I decided not to, for some of the reasons already cited.

Thanks for the chuckle.

Re: Is the clock ticking? - 04/02/12 02:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Who started this section and where are they now?

Jan 11, 2012:

There have been many requests over many years for a section like this. And many times was told by Moparts it would NEVER happen.

This is the most recent thread where it was mentioned, and I believe before "Waynes" request.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=1#Post7003899
Posted By: cudazappa

Re: Is the clock ticking? - 04/02/12 02:18 AM

Wow, its fun that threads like this get the activity up in the forum...

I bought a diamond ring, and that's actually part of the plan to get my car to handle!

Then I bought a new 904 from CRT (2 more weeks!). And that's going to help my car handle!

Next stop is Hughes Engines, for new Aluminum heads, cam, and assorted hardware, yes its related to handling!

This is the first forum I check when I log into Moparts EVERY DAY MULTIPLE TIMES A DAY!

I answer questions I have the answers to. I ask questions I hope to get straight answers to.

And if anyone doesn't see how a Tiffany engagement ring relates to making my car handle, well then, you should keep your comments to your selves!

I'll post more once I get my engine and transmission to my parents' garage (yes, buying a house is also on my plans towards GETTING MY CAR TO HANDLE!!!)

If people learn to answer the question that is asked, rather than giving an opinion that's outside question's parameters, that'll help. I remember too many 318 build questions answered with get a 340 and/or 360 that actually made me STOP coming to moparts for YEARS. That attitude has actually worked its way out for the most part.

(BTW: The wedding will be registered at Firm Feel, Hotchkis, Summit, Jegs, & Macy's )
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Is the clock ticking? - 04/02/12 02:49 PM

Unfortuantly the registery has not had any updates since February 11th. Certainly there are more than 31 members who have upgraded the cars to do more than drag race and show and shines.

Re: Is the clock ticking? - 04/02/12 02:49 PM

Quote:

Wow, its fun that threads like this get the activity up in the forum...

I bought a diamond ring, and that's actually part of the plan to get my car to handle!

Then I bought a new 904 from CRT (2 more weeks!). And that's going to help my car handle!

Next stop is Hughes Engines, for new Aluminum heads, cam, and assorted hardware, yes its related to handling!

This is the first forum I check when I log into Moparts EVERY DAY MULTIPLE TIMES A DAY!

I answer questions I have the answers to. I ask questions I hope to get straight answers to.

And if anyone doesn't see how a Tiffany engagement ring relates to making my car handle, well then, you should keep your comments to your selves!

I'll post more once I get my engine and transmission to my parents' garage (yes, buying a house is also on my plans towards GETTING MY CAR TO HANDLE!!!)

If people learn to answer the question that is asked, rather than giving an opinion that's outside question's parameters, that'll help. I remember too many 318 build questions answered with get a 340 and/or 360 that actually made me STOP coming to moparts for YEARS. That attitude has actually worked its way out for the most part.

(BTW: The wedding will be registered at Firm Feel, Hotchkis, Summit, Jegs, & Macy's )

I'm afraid to ask what cut the diamond was, since I have a lot of experience with Emerald cuts, and I mainly want to share in areas I have something valid to offer, and if I ask what cut it is, some one may say I am being "exclusive", and others will say I'm a wanna be mod , and others will say, if I am not 100% certain, "STFU". Maybe if we were all a little less thinned skinned, it wouldn't matter. Hope you enjoy your best friend.
Posted By: rabid scott

Re: Is the clock ticking? - 04/02/12 05:43 PM

I like reading this forum and I've NEVER read the Drag racing forum.

I drive my classic cars daily and having a good braking, steering, and cornering is important, much more so than having a straight line car.
Posted By: DynoDave

Re: Is the clock ticking? - 04/03/12 03:22 AM

Quote:

I drive my classic cars daily and having a good braking, steering, and cornering is important, much more so than having a straight line car.

Posted By: PHJ426

Re: Is the clock ticking? - 04/03/12 04:05 AM

This forum should be a keeper with all the new tech out there, we need a forum to help bridge that gap from vendor and supplier to what parts exactly do I need to make the entire package work together.
Posted By: Pale_Roader

Re: Is the clock ticking? - 04/03/12 08:01 AM

Already...??? Who is it hurting to keep this one around? Are moderators that bored? Just keep it around. Sure, we dont get as many handling questions per post as a Corvette forum would, but it is getting better.

It doesn't hurt anyone or put anyone out to keep this around. It only helps, even if it is a bit slow.

It likely has a lot to do with the fact this one is not that old, and only has a few pages ov threads, so the search function, that does not work at ALL, is not needed here. Anyone who can read can have their question answered here about cornering without even asking it, 95% ov the time. Now compare that with the Q&A section where the same damn questions get asked over and over again ad-nauseum. In the higher traffic sections, if you dont see a pertinent thread about your issue in the first 5 pages, its FAR quicker just to make another thread about it.

This section works.
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: Is the clock ticking? - 04/03/12 04:46 PM

If I had more time available I'd be on this Corners Are Best forum all day long, and I try to get onto it more often... and THIS is the main place for me. Of course, I prefer specifics mods (suspension, brakes, lightening, etc) that are for our street cars being used on tracks -- parking lot autocross and road courses. This is a little "dream come true..." type of thing to me because I've had a passion for MOPARS (I favor the E-bodies from their TransAm history, but also ALL Mopars) to get them to handle better. Some of you know my history with my T/A -- I've proven that a MOPAR CAN BE MADE to handle much better than MaMopar originally designed. Its so rewarding to me when I compete and often beat most of the other pony car brands, and can help others with Mopars to experience the same.

One of my ultimate "dreams" is to have an annual gathering of Mopars for autocross and road course competition (or, actually "social" fun... location would be the main issue... I know that Carlisle has potential for a medium-speed autocross, and the California "Spring Fling" road course event is also a great gathering!!!... (hope to attend some year, if ever possible).
Posted By: migsBIG

Re: Is the clock ticking? - 04/11/12 12:36 AM

Quote:

Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Is the clock ticking? - 04/11/12 03:14 AM

I have a couple thoughts...

Every single time I have ever looked to see how many people are veiwing this it is always being veiwed by 2 or 3 times as many people as the street-rod forum yet it is still with us for many years.

Secondly I see nothing about the race only forum being "drag" race only, I don't know where people get that idea

Lastly I think mabey this should be a section for all chassis stuff weather it is straight line, brakeing or cornering and even simple suspension stuff like how to change a wheel bearing.
Posted By: brads70

Re: Is the clock ticking? - 04/26/12 02:48 AM

I look at this section daily, somedays multiple times a day. Lots of good info ! I gotta admit as much as I love Mopars ( classic)they suck in the handling department for the most part. It doesn't take a lot of money to really improve them though! The aftermarket in the last 10 years has really come around with lots of great parts too.
Posted By: Jjs72D

Re: Is the clock ticking? - 04/26/12 04:43 AM

Quote:

I gotta admit as much as I love Mopars ( classic)they suck in the handling department for the most part.

Do you have any experience with other American classic cars? Try driving a mid 70s Maverick or a Stock 68 Nova. The Mopars handled about the same as most other American cars of the era. Sure, the WS6 Trans Am and Camaro Z28 had them beat, but those cars recieved their best chassis development AFTER detroit had put horsepower on the shelf. I've driven stock and modified cars of several makes. They all have the capacity for good and bad.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Is the clock ticking? - 04/26/12 05:16 AM

I am hoping for more input from the experienced corner carvers ....and by the way, Diamonds are for adolescents .......Yogo Sapphires are for sophisticated women...and the Queen of England. Tim
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Is the clock ticking? - 04/27/12 05:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I gotta admit as much as I love Mopars ( classic)they suck in the handling department for the most part.

Do you have any experience with other American classic cars? Try driving a mid 70s Maverick or a Stock 68 Nova. The Mopars handled about the same as most other American cars of the era. Sure, the WS6 Trans Am and Camaro Z28 had them beat, but those cars recieved their best chassis development AFTER detroit had put horsepower on the shelf. I've driven stock and modified cars of several makes. They all have the capacity for good and bad.

The 76 Camaro that I had from 87-2002 was a low level car with a 7/8" front sway bar. Over the years I made many changes but in stock form, it handled about the same as a Duster with the small factory sway bar. The Camaro stopped better though, since it had factory disc brakes. I can't believe that Ma Mopar waited so long to make disc brakes standard!
Posted By: brads70

Re: Is the clock ticking? - 05/05/12 12:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Oh I agree there were some really bad designs out there back in the 60's and 70's. I used to mess with various Chevelles (68-81) they weren't hard to improve. Back in the day aftermarket support for Mopars was non existent in my neck of the woods though. Nice to see the changes in the last 10 years of so!
© 2024 Moparts Forums