Moparts

orientation of tubular UCAs

Posted By: Dadrules

orientation of tubular UCAs - 03/03/12 06:13 PM

long story short, I've been away from working on our 65 Barracuda for a couple of years. I'm now finishing up the front end, electrical etc. I installed tubular UCAs from firmfeel and want to double check that I'm installed them correctly. How can i tell which side they should be installed on? thank you.
Posted By: MoparMarq

Re: orientation of tubular UCAs - 03/03/12 07:23 PM

When the UCA is installed, the ball joint mount hole axis should be close to vertical. Since the axis around which the arm rotates is canted down to the rear along the frame rail, the ball joint mount is canted the opposite direction to keep it relatively vertical...

(Sorry, don't have any decent pics.)
Posted By: lilcuda

Re: orientation of tubular UCAs - 03/03/12 09:53 PM

Here's a couple pictures of FF upper control arms on my 66 Barracuda. They also should be marked on top of the ball joint. Mine were.

Attached picture 7101644-IMG_0182(Medium).JPG
Posted By: lilcuda

Re: orientation of tubular UCAs - 03/03/12 09:54 PM

Passenger side...

Attached picture 7101645-IMG_0178(Medium).JPG
Posted By: Dadrules

Re: orientation of tubular UCAs - 03/03/12 10:14 PM

Lee and Marq thank you both this is exactly what I needed to see
Posted By: dangina

Re: orientation of tubular UCAs - 03/04/12 06:40 AM

my hotchkis ones were marked as well..
Posted By: curleysracecars

Re: orientation of tubular UCAs - 03/04/12 07:39 AM

Quote:

When the UCA is installed, the ball joint mount hole axis should be close to vertical. Since the axis around which the arm rotates is canted down to the rear along the frame rail, the ball joint mount is canted the opposite direction to keep it relatively vertical...

(Sorry, don't have any decent pics.)

This is how control arms SHOULD be built...however there are many that are not this way. The "cant" needs to be built into the arms so that at a static height, the ball joint is near the center of its movement in all axis'.
© 2024 Moparts Forums