Moparts

Shocks

Posted By: roy2345

Shocks - 02/18/12 11:07 PM

What's the best shock to put on a 70 BBody? I'm wanting to order some tonight. I thought of the KYB but any other recommendations. I'm ordering through Summit unless anyone know a better place........Thanks in Advance
Posted By: amxautox

Re: Shocks - 02/18/12 11:10 PM

what are you going to use the car for? racing, hiway, back roads, towing?
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Shocks - 02/18/12 11:11 PM

Here we go...
YOu might want to search "KYBs" on moparts---its been disscussed at length.
I like them, but they are stiff. Monroe-matics are liked by many here, are cheap, and not stiff.
If your looking to spend bucks--Bilstiens or Konis.
Posted By: Wagonmaster

Re: Shocks - 02/18/12 11:14 PM

Twenty bucks for a good Gabriel at AZ.
Posted By: TheBlueBeast

Re: Shocks - 02/18/12 11:19 PM

Wrong forum but I forgive you. Monroes.
Posted By: Wagonmaster

Re: Shocks - 02/18/12 11:25 PM

Quote:

Ok, Monroe - $27.00 ea, O'Reilley.
Posted By: TheBlueBeast

Re: Shocks - 02/18/12 11:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ok, Monroe - $27.00 ea, O'Reilley.

I like what I like.
Posted By: cal_gecko

Re: Shocks - 02/19/12 12:11 AM

Having used cheap shocks (Monroe, no-names, Gabriel, etc) in the past, I absolutely refuse to put those POS's on any of my cars. Brands I will use and have used:

Tokico
Eibach
KYB
Bilstein (currently have Bilstein HD shocks on my Miata.. they're $125 each.. if/when I need to replace them.. I'm going to see about having them re-valved so they're even firmer)

Why put cheapo shocks on a car that you dump tens of thousands of dollars into for engine/transmission stuff? The suspension is a key component of getting that power to the ground, and maintaining a safe, predictable ride.

Re: Shocks - 02/19/12 02:05 AM

I'm driving on the highway and interstate. Kids n da back seat. So I want a nice riding shock
Posted By: cal_gecko

Re: Shocks - 02/19/12 02:11 AM

Still get a quality shock .. doesn't have to be rock hard.. but get a good shock.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Shocks - 02/19/12 02:52 AM

Quote:

I'm driving on the highway and interstate. Kids n da back seat. So I want a nice riding shock

Monroe gas matics.
Posted By: mopardamo

Re: Shocks - 02/19/12 03:17 AM

Hello,

I have used the standard monroe and gabriel and both were not a good choice. Brand new they feel just so so even for normal driving. Nothing to even consider for performance minded driving.

Damon
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Shocks - 02/19/12 04:13 AM

Quote:

Hello,

I have used the standard monroe and gabriel and both were not a good choice. Brand new they feel just so so even for normal driving. Nothing to even consider for performance minded driving.

Damon

It's all about expectations and personal preference.

It seems he just wanted a nice cruising down the highway ride. BTW, this thread started off in the General Section, not in the Corners' Section. It was moved here.

I think a KYB or E-brock will give him a much stiffer ride. Bilstein might be nicer, but IMHO over budget at $400/set for what he seems to be looking for.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Shocks - 02/19/12 07:10 PM

We use KYB's almost exclusively.Have never had a complaint or experienced a stiff ride. My experiences with moroes has been anything but good, Think fram oil filters . Gabriels are a better low end choice IMO
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Shocks - 02/20/12 10:27 AM

The white KYB gas shocks ride is a bit stiff, but are priced right at rock auto. $25.79 fronts, and $37.79 rear. The Bilstein shocks from PST are $115/each. Hotchkis sells the RCD tuned Bilstein shocks (not sure if they are different from the PST ones) for $400/set of 4.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Shocks - 02/21/12 09:53 PM

I run the Bilstiens on my jeeps but for the 68 Charger, it is getting the QA1 double adjustables. They are twice as expensive as the Bilstiens but they are way cheaper than the XV's double adjustables. These shocks will allow you to dial them in for a weekend at the track and then adjust them for the ride home. Tim
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Shocks - 02/26/12 05:56 PM

I have put the KYB gas-adjust on my 74 Duster360, back in '84 when I restored the car. I went with larger front t-bars (solo racing) and Addco rear sway bar. The car has gone over 100k miles since then, and I have never really found the shocks a harsh or hard ride. I love the way I can toss the car in corners, and still have comfy long haul drives in the car.

I decided on the same KYB's for the 70 Sport Satellite, with larger t-bars, stock front sway bar, heavier rear springs, and rear sway bar. Think this should make for great long haul drives and handle decently for larger/older vehicle.

Think that the shock/spring thing, is kinda like women, everyone has an opinion and different tastes . . . . just my two cents . . .

Cheers,

Mark
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Shocks - 02/27/12 03:27 AM

OK, let me jump in, and ask a question. 71 RR, 530 in Alumn. hemi, hemi springs in back TA bars in front 1 inch front sway bar, dana passon overdrive, goodyear G 60 polyglass tires. What would be a good shock for this car? The motor will weigh about the same as a 340 so a little weight of the front. I don't want to jar my teeth out. I had gabriels that had three settings back in 75. What do you all think. I don't want mushy but as good handleing as i can given the equipment thats on the car, will be doing interstate speeds.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Shocks - 02/27/12 03:44 AM

Your tires are the limiting factor in your ride, you could put in XV1 double adjustable monotubes and it wont help. With some sticky meats and stiff sidewalls your combination would be very effective and light. With the Polyglass's you get the best ones you can afford. Tim

Re: Shocks - 02/27/12 03:53 AM

I know ,i'm trying to build the car so that 99 out of a100 people will think its stock execpt for headers, thats the reason for the polyglass.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Shocks - 02/27/12 08:58 AM

The KYBs have a bad rep from the guys that really push their cars. I've had mine in the Charger since 2003 and never thought that there was anything wrong with them. I wrote earlier that I had a similar experience with my old bed. I didn't realize what a worn out piece of crap I had until I bought that new $1900 bed!
I still have the KYBs in the car. I may try another brand when cash allows. Edelbrocks were suggested by some, but I read that they are not making them anymore and the current supply is dwindling down....

Re: Shocks - 02/27/12 04:04 PM

I bought the Monroes fellas...Thanks for the advice
Posted By: Viol8r

Re: Shocks - 02/27/12 05:26 PM

Quote:

I know ,i'm trying to build the car so that 99 out of a100 people will think its stock execpt for headers, thats the reason for the polyglass.

You have answered your own question then. It will not matter what shock you run with that tire combo. That is a straight line car...nothing more nothing less. Curious, why build a new big motor and put 40 year old tire technology in it?

Re: Shocks - 02/28/12 02:05 AM

Original motor is by by, i had the dana that i paid $150.00 for so why not? I got the alumn hemi for what i could have bought a mopar crate motor for, and was specked to my wants.I bought this car in 74 when i was 19, and i haven't driven it sence 1978. Execpt for wheels tires and headers it was stock the last time i drove it.So execpt for the drive train and two front seats it will be almost like it was.I don't know, i guess i want my cake and eat it to.I think it may be a one of one,but can't prove it and i'm keeping almost all my original stuff to put back on if need be.
Posted By: Pale_Roader

Re: Shocks - 03/01/12 11:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You have answered your own question then. It will not matter what shock you run with that tire combo. That is a straight line car...nothing more nothing less. Curious, why build a new big motor and put 40 year old tire technology in it?

I think "40 year old tire technology" is putting it nicely... Didn't they have radials back then...??? Maybe not on new cars, but available...???

Not trying to be an ass here, but nothing with those tires can be considered a performance car. Even straightline performance is seriously impaired with that crap.

As for the sleeper effect, these days, 99% ov lay people wont bat an eye at a set ov new Radial T/A's, which are also a pretty crappy tire for performance, but still aeons ahead ov Polyglas GT's...

Maybe try and find a solid, modern performance radial in a half-decent size (on a maxed out width stock appearing rim), and paint red-lines or the 'Polyglas GT' label on the side...??? The F.A.S.T. guys tried that with ET Streets... tricky tricky...
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Shocks - 03/01/12 08:31 PM

We're a bit off the topic of shocks, but...

No radials weren't around then, which is why the poly glass design was such a decent performer. Widespread use of automotive radials didn't happen until the mid to late 70s. Old timers will remember why Pontiac was heavily advertising their RTS line and that wasn't Rapid Transit System but their Radial Tuned Suspension. All it amounted to was more agressive alignment specs and better shocks, but it sure threw a lot of consumers, and tire dealers for that matter, for a loop.

Bias ply tires will perform decently. A comparable radial will be faster once the systems is set up for it an the driver gets used to it. But a bias ply is also more forgiving of a tire for driver inexperience when run at the edge of grip. In my experience, bias plys tend to "broadcast" their loss of grip in a more linear and predicatable manner. Similarly, when traction is lost they will regain it in a similar linear way. Radials, on the other hand, tend to break loose more suddenly and not regain traction as quickly.

Thinking back to my oval track days, it took us several weeks of experimenting when we swapped from bias plys to radials before we were able to get the laps speeds back up. But once we did, we also started running faster too.

BTW, the f.a.s.t. cars are running plenty fast on bias plys. Stock reproduction bias play no less. Because of what I said above, a number of drag tires are still available in bias ply as well.
© 2024 Moparts Forums