Moparts

4 week MoPar Midwest tour! 200 pics added on 27th!

Posted By: Forwardlook

4 week MoPar Midwest tour! 200 pics added on 27th! - 11/14/11 03:00 AM

As some of you know my mum, the only remaining close family member to me, lost her battle against cancer earlier this year. It has been a rocky ride to say the least and I really needed to get away from it all. I always wanted to visit Detroit in the worst way (only been there for one day earlier), see the Woodward Dream Cruise and combine those with the MoPar Nats and other stuff. My mother would have wanted to make another trip with me to the US as well (we have been to CA & HI, driven cross country twice and visited FL on three different trips) and in a way we did...she loved America and American cars as well. This one was for you mum, I owe you a lot!

I will list a lot of pics in this thread and try to include some background info as well. I am by no means an authority for example on Detroit history so comments and additional info is always welcome. I did accomplish a lot but unfortunately I had to cut off my west coast part of the trip...it got hectic and expensive without it and on top of that I got a huge reduction in working hours when I got back so in the end it was for the best. But this wasn't about being sensible, it was about a MoPar obsession that just doesn't let go. Still hoping to scrape enough money to put together my 500 cube stroker that has been in storage in a members garage for a long time as well meet him and other nice MoPar folks on the west coast. At least I got an induction system and a block for it at the Nats so now almost all pieces are there
I will post some pics from the Nats and Woodward Dream Cruise but try to keep it down as there is so much to post...I will be posting some brand X stuff as well as C-bodies and oddballs, stuff that I like. There will also be some Hudson and Studebaker stuff posted...but none of that furrin stuff So, bear with me, this will take awhile...it is 4AM here and I have to get to work but I hope to complete this story in a few days. Picture requests are OK, I took 5000 of them so I might have something that was around but not posted. Here we go...

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/14/11 03:35 AM

There was some difficulty in finding a two car trailer for rent but our own (now mellowed out I hear ) Rhinodart came to rescue and I even ended up using his trucks on my trip! Much appreciated Sir! Here he comes to meet me in the Windy City! I had a feeling that this will be good and I was right!

Passing the Belvidere plant was another good sign right in the beginning!

Some people would call Rhino a hoarder but I would call him a saviour...this pretty sweet Belvedere was going to the crusher but he managed to find a new caretaker for it for a very reasonable amount of money

Someone else got a good deal on this 4-speed Dana GTX with a bunch of new sheetmetal...will be a sweet ride!

I'd say this is a keeper..but then again I'm a C-body guy!

A-bodys everywhere...this would make a sweet ride;

Some cars you sell, some cars you buy...I would have bought this Hemi Dart too given the chance

This garage definitely had a lot of goodies, how about a 440 Cuda;

And what's this?? A genuine MrNorms Paxton blown Demon;

It wasn't all fun and games, we had to work too Here is an original paint 440 Dart from Grand-Spaulding being moved to a new facility;

A short stop at MrNorms HQ

And the totally awesome new place in downtown Rockford, IL! I'd kill for that place...sadly it pretty much killed old Mr Strandquist when the gubmint took it away from him...more on the history of this beautiful complex later!

Yes, those are the original floor tiles from the 40:s...

The second floor;

In one of Rhinos many stashes we find this schweet Sweptline big block that he uses for pushing celebrities around

Can't complete a day without checking out a Chrysler dealership

Stay tuned, lots of interesting stuff to come!
Posted By: MowP4rsn

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/14/11 03:36 AM

Sorry to hear about your loss, but as you state surely your mum would approve.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/14/11 03:43 AM

Quote:

Sorry to hear about your loss, but as you state surely your mum would approve.

Well, she always thought that I was a bit nutty about it all (you don't know me, I'm as bad as Jim lol) but as time went on she understood that I got such a kick out of this stuff that few people do and that childlike enthusiasm tend to keep us healthy and sane...even if it is a bit insane Thank you for the kind words
You might like to see what I got out of Tennessee btw..takes a while to get to that point though...
Posted By: Daty Rogers

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/14/11 04:58 AM

I didn't know RhinoDart was a Bogger, how cool! what's your tag?

-Daty
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/14/11 05:28 AM

Hi Hans, it was great to have you here and I had a fun time! It is cool to find another brother from a different mother, and it sounds like you had a cool one! I look forward (pun intended) to more pictures, and wish you could have had the time to finish your quest out west, but I hope to finish it for you soon. I am currently in California but won't have time this week, but will be back in two weeks and maybe I can get the rest of your "stuff" secured. Talk with you soon! Khoooooooollll.
Posted By: LAST440

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/14/11 06:12 AM

Hello Hans,

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Look forward (or Forward Looking)

to the rest of your album.
Posted By: Daty Rogers

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/14/11 07:42 AM

Hans, I for one understand, Robyn helped me so much with mom's passing, ya'll helped me with hers. Sorry, really not trying to be a downer here. A passing in the family is so wrought with grief and questioning. At least that is what I have experienced. VERY happy both of you had good times. I understand wanting to step away, done it 3 times to Colorado to see Anna (my only remaining family member) since she passed. I miss her, I love her, and sorry posts like this really gets to me, if I don't speak I'll spirial.

-Daty

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/14/11 02:11 PM

Hey Jim, I wish I'd be back already! Next time we have to hit the yards fer sure fer sure!! Can't believe I spent 4 weeks in the US and didn't see any...maybe I'm just too old, slow and lazy? Sure appreciate the help with my stuff, you're the man! Talk later!

Jeff, good to hear from you, I was actually hoping to meet you again on this trip but unfortunately I had to leave west coast out at the last minute. One day I'll come your way, that's a fact! Hope you'll enjoy the pics, there are lots of them!

Daty, sorry about your hardships, sometimes it is hard just to get to the next day. There is another side of the coin though, people who suffer a lot when tragedy happens are also the ones that are able to enjoy life in a greater way. It might not help right now but it is fortunate to be able to live life to the fullest when you can. There are so many people that search their whole life for something they don't even recognize themselves. Often those people don't get real kicks from anything. There will be better times my friend and you are a person that can truly appreciate them I have been down a few times myself and without MoPars it would have been very difficult to survive. But the sun will come up one day no matter how dark it seems at the moment.

OK, let's look at them pitchers!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/14/11 02:44 PM

OK, spent a few fun filled days in the Chicago area and now we are off to the Nats! Jim is driving the Challenger convertible part of the way to pick up the toterhome on the way, I got to drive the V10 Ram...

Setting up shop in a primo spot...those who are too slow to vanish into thin air get to help Jim with the awning...and if there's not enough orders from Jim their's a cool MoPar chick in position to keep eyes on everybody. Is this a professional setup or what?

All kidding aside, in 2007 I was lucky enough to see the Dragmaster Dart at the Petersen Museum and even meet Dode Martin at his home...who would have believed that 4 years later I'll be pushing this thing around and keep it clean?

There aren't many things in this world that sound better than a cross ram Hemi...

http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/norm-hemi-dart.html

I am not that big on the new stuff but I have to say that the new Chargers are truly amazing cars to drive...I wonder how many would be sold in Europe without the huge trade barriers??

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/14/11 02:59 PM

Here's a few cool MoPars at the Nats;

It is amazing how many repro parts have popped up in the recent years;

Genuine Michigan State Police '68 Fury with the cool lighted stop sign they've used for ages...serious drooling in process;

Anyone have an extra set of these wheels and/or hubcaps? Give me a holler...

Loved this color combo, stunning!

If it's a rare A-body Jim has probably owned it, going to buy it or it is in someway on his radar screen. In this case it was the first option;

Lots of cool cars at the Hampton Inn in the evening;

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/14/11 03:21 PM

More Nats stuff, Indy displayed a lot of items for sale including complete engines;

Many aftermarket editions of Chrysler products were on display;

Here's a time machine;

Res Ipsa Loquitor (it speaks for itself) as Al Eckstrand called his Max Wedge, can be applied to these;

This was a very reasonably priced Hemi car...and super solid too;

Drool...

Christmas is soon here

Not many Forward Look cars present but here is a beautiful 1960 Chrysler 300F;

And a 1957 Plymouth Belvedere in beautiful colors, luckily all of these aren't red and white...

Yup, that'd be me with Mr Norm Kraus himself, thank you Sir for your time!

A cool story...I wish more people would write about the history of their car;

Not many Hemi cars left like this;

Got a few engine swap kits from the good people at Schumacher Creative Services;

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/14/11 03:39 PM

OK, here's still a few from the Nats, I could post a hundred more as many cool ones are left out but it would be too much. I think? lol

Was this RR in PHR back in the 80:s? I do remember one with Centerlines, a white interior and the same stance;

The A&A Transmission guys had so much goodies on display...I couldn't resist their offer on the Max Wedge intake package and there went my budget...lol!

Sometimes people tell me that I'm more American than most Americans which I think is a nice compliment but the guy who painted the Loco Challenger (in the background)is more of a genuine surfer dude than anyone else...and he hasn't even been in California! Far out man!!

You don't see too many nice 1967 New Yorker 2dHT:s..loved this one;

OK, in with the 426Hemi, 440 block, buckets and bench seats, corning glass, Max Wedge induction system and a ton of other stuff...we're outta here!

Next stop: The Motor City!!!
Posted By: Devil

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/14/11 04:39 PM

That looks like one hell of a good time.

Jim actually let you drive the cars and helped ya out?...lol

Should see the dealership now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/sets/72157627533541538/
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/14/11 04:42 PM

Great pictures and stories...and I am so glad you got to see the Woodward Dream Cruise, there really isn't anything else like it in the world.
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/14/11 04:48 PM

Awesome pics - thanks! Looks like a great trip.
Posted By: 67RT

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/14/11 06:27 PM

I'm looking forward to more updates. Lots of nice cars in those pictures.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/15/11 03:02 AM

Ahhh the memories when I used to have a job. At least you got a pic of my good side!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/15/11 03:40 AM

Thanks for the kind words! I'm going to try to keep this stuff in order somehow but Photobucket really messes up everything in the upload process and looks like some pics have not uploaded at all...

Anyway, Detroit next...spent a week in the area but I could have stayed for months! What an amazing place, so rich in history! A perfect start on a MoPar forum is the former GM headquarters, now renamed Cadillac Place. Just standing on the sidewalk looking at this amazing structure by Albert Kahn (so unlike his factories) makes you realize the proportions of Detroit success in the beginning of the 20th century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Place

Just across the street we find the Fisher Building (of the Fisher Body fame);

http://www.historicdetroit.org/building/fisher-building/

These were in the New Center area a bit north from downtown where the new GM headquarters are;

If one travels a bit north from downtown on Woodward Avenue Woodlawn Cemetary is on the left. Here you can see the Dodge Brothers mausoleum and many others, it is a really beautiful cemetary.

http://www.woodlawncemeterydetroit.com/

There must be a ton of old dealerships like this old Chrysler/Marmon dealer on Cass still around, I would have liked to hunt for them more but there simply wasn't time, a few famous ones will be coming up though. Preston Tucker used to work here, he also studied at nearby Cass Tech. Unfortunately they moved recently to a new building and the old one was torn down. Cass Motors still seemed to have a lot of the old details intact inside the building, it is hard to witness such rich history disappearing. It was owned by Dagleish Cadillac just up the street which was unfortunateley forced to close shop by the gubmint. Maybe it will be renovated though, there is a ton of cool stuff just in this little part of Detroit, check this link;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Amsterdam_Historic_District

http://detnews.com/article/20100119/OPINION03/1190358/End-of-the-road-for-Dalgleish-Cadillac

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM7X3J_Cass_Motor_Sales_Detroit_Michigan

Next up some car pics for those that don't like to look at old buildings...but there will be more on those too later
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/15/11 04:31 AM

Cool!

Here's an old Chrysler dealership in my state - its for rent now, love to find a pic of it functional. The little showroom isn't a pentagon, but from the road it sure looks like one.

If I was wealthy, I'd love to rent this building as a Chrysler resto shop.

Attached picture 6919991-dealership.jpg

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/15/11 04:49 AM

Hey Jim, just another favor for you

Woodward Dream Cruise is pretty huge, about 40,000 cars cruising mainly up and down on Woodward Avenue. What makes it great in my mind is the huge variety of cars, you never know what shows up next. The car scene in my part of the world is a bit different to the US so my first car shows in the US was a shock. Don't you have anything besides Mustangs, Camaros and Classic Chevys? WDC offers something for everyone but the main problem with this event is that even if you walk 10 miles every day there are only so many cars you can study closely because there simply isn't that many places for cruisers to stop. I'm not complaining though, it is an awesome show and every car geek should see it at least once. Be sure to come before the actual cruise day, Saturday, though because it is too packed really. I wish people would keep their daily drivers away from Woodward those few days. Chrysler has the best place at the cruise by far since it is one of the few larger parking areas available. What really blew my mind is how local this event is judging by the license plates, it seems to be a Michigan/Windsor event by 95%? I did see a few cars for example with California and New York plates but this seems to be a local event to a much larger extent than I imagined. Detroit is really a fantastic place for a car geek with about 70 events weekly (during the summer)in a 50 mile radius.

http://www.woodwarddreamcruise.com/

http://youtu.be/AX3KnsLfEqI

One of the more famous stops at WDC is Sam's Shell on Woodward...I'd prefer an American chain but then again I'm narrow min...err focused

Really nice Torino with a big (572?) stroker in it;

A rather famous car with fantastic workmanship...but I would have kept it original...sorry;

That's a mean looking car Sir! - Thank you! Anyone from Moparts?

Yup, my MoPar will just about nuke your GM, I don't care what it is! - Wanna back that up?? - (this conversation is purely fictional)

This little Nova was quite a sleeper

Yup, I have a thing for Super Duty Pontiacs..my mother loved Pontiacs and that was a good excuse for me to buy a 1964 Catalina Ventura 2dHT, although I prefer 63:s but they are hard to find. This 62 Royal Bobcat was fantastic;

More non MoPars, a 1964 Mercury Marauder with a dual quad 427;

Drool...

427 Impala;

It is 2011 and all is well in the world...at least on Woodward!;

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/15/11 04:59 AM

I love seeing my silver Ram in some of the pics, kinda like "where's Waldo". I have been to Woodward twice, hope to make it again some year! Keep up the architecure shots, soom there won't be many left in Detroit.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/15/11 05:09 AM

Hey Jim, if you ever sell it you can ask twice the market price due to its cool history! I wonder how many people can claim that their truck has been inside (this term being used a bit loosely though) Plant 4 in Highland Park...pics coming up!

DS, I hear ya! If I'd be wealthy I'd be buying and restoring all these places like a madman!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/15/11 06:30 AM

More Detroit automotive history...I was so worried that the Packard plant would be gone completely before I get to see it but I was lucky enough to witness this complex in person...there are no words really...one has to see it in person to realize the proportions. I wish there would be a time machine and I could walk into the factory showroom. I had to fight myself not to go in but being alone and leaving the truck unattended as well it wasn't an option...the people you might meet isn't the only concern either, there is so much loose stuff hanging in the air as well as floors and stairs that might collapse it is scary. The building is going down fast with scavengers taking their toll every day. As luck would have it, I was able to see pieces of this once fantastic structure later on...sorry about not having better pics but there was some nasty onlooks while on site and I couldn't concentrate on the pics too much I now have a few bricks saved from it too, I didn't feel bad about it since this thing will unfortunately be gone. A part in the northern end is in good shape though, to my understanding that was added during WW2 to make the Packard improved version of the Rolls-Royce engines. It is sad that the city officials got all the tenants (except one that refused to leave) evicted, that marked the end of this beautiful Kahn masterpiece.

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?9631-Couple-of-Packard-Plant-Questions

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/galle...0803&Ref=PH

http://onlyndetroit.com/html/decay/ond-0012motorcityunderworld.htm

This used to be the other of the two main entrances, now gutted, old pic a bit below, the factory showroom was on the right, colored glass added later after Packard left;

A bit of contrast, 1935 Packard 120:s awaiting shipment at the factory;

The parking garage in the 40:s;

Assembly line 1953;

Factory showroom 1954;

View outside the showroom on Grand Boulevard in 1955...luckily those entrances have been saved..pics later...

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/15/11 08:21 AM

Sometimes it is really hard to find out the factual info on things...many people told me (even an original Ramcharger member)that Hodges Subaru is the old Hodges Dodges;

But no, that was Hodges Imports back in the day. This is the old Hodges Dodges facility;

The first Ford plant on Piquette has been beautifully restored, unfortunately it was closed the day I stopped there;

www.tplex.org

It is amazing how fast things expanded, here's the next Ford factory in Highland Park...a part of it was demolished in the west end to make room for a mall...I think the mall is an eyesore, not the factory. They should have converted part of the factory to a mall instead...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_Park_Ford_Plant

This is the same buliding seen in its heyday from the opposite direction, check the amazing detail;

http://www.shorpy.com/node/11210?size=_original

Fisher Body 21 is also in this area, once one of more than 40 buildings in the Fisher empire;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piquette_Avenue_Industrial_Historic_District

Next up; the home of the Highland Park Hummingbird!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/15/11 12:27 PM

Now it might get weird for some people but this was really the climax (yes, that's the right word!) of my trip! I had been looking for info for quite awhile regarding the old Chrysler Center in Highland Park and I knew that it was already heavily developed with only one of the old buildings still standing. I had looked at satellite views and Google street view and I was pretty certain that I would still find something Chrysler-related there. The east side of the property has a brand new Magna seat factory and most of the south end is a Coca-Cola distribution facility. But there seemed to be some dirt roads in the northern part still and one of the main gates...let's see what goes on today at the site where everything important happened back in the day like 426 Hemi connecting rods flying through the dyno facilty window when an engine grenaded at full throttle!

Here's an overview of the complex;

A couple of photos of building 135 which was used for dyno work;

I was supposed to meet Ed, a totally cool guy who worked with the fellow who signed this dyno sheet. He had a few other Chrysler engineers with him...unfortunately I could not make it...it really bugs me...I hope to see you guys the next time around!! And I had a somewhat valid reason, more on that later...

For more info and pics go to this site and put "Chrysler Center" as search words;

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collections/habs_haer/

OK, excitement was on top when I parked at one of the old main entrances! It is odd that it has been mostly untouched as there was grassy knolls added where the office buildings used to be.

Driving to the grounds from the north end will soon reveal the only structure still standing, building number 101 which is described as a warehouse on the documents. It is covered with steel siding like so many other old buildings in the Detroit area, for the modern look and lower maintenance I guess?

Excitement is again on top when I park Jim's truck in what used to be Plant 4...I assume that the metallic strip in the foreground used to be an overhead door location;

Could this be from inside Plant 4 during WW2? In any case, this is a shot of 40mm anti-aircraft gun barrels at the Highland Park complex;

Walking towards the gate from the inside you can clearly see where the guardshack used to be..the floor tiles were still on the ground...the intact one has now been saved..it was't exactly mint as it seemed that somebody had made burnout efforts on them

There were piles of what seemed to be old construction material here and there but I couldn't be sure if those were part of the structures or what somebody had just dumped on site...search for artifacts continues when I stumble on something unbelievable! Yup, that is the old dyno building floor!! I didn't know what to do, somekind of a tribal dance or what?? Well, I was my boring Nordic cool self and just took pics...and a piece of it! If I'd be wealthy I'd buy and lift the whole damn thing out of there and make it my Motor Room! Somebody should bring a Hemi there and make it scream on site at least one last time! Dammit!

I spent quite some time on site and I was worried that some security dude would show up and make me leave. No way Jose, I travelled a long way for this! When I got my "loot" secured I was worried about losing it...and if somebody would have seen the Packard bricks inside the truck they would probably have called the dudes carrying a white jacket with long sleeves for me...so, it was best to get out of there. One last pic in Plant 4 with the artifacts (the third piece is a part of the floor in Plant 4);

Pretty intense for a certified Chrysler nut!!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/15/11 12:55 PM

More stuff for us that like to live in the past, Ramchargers garage on 1956 Hilton Road in Ferndale. They were ere from late 1964 to late 1967. The overhead door in the back is gone though...wouldn't it be awesome to have that??!! A couple of pics from the inside from Dave Rockwell's book; "We Were The Ramchargers". Get it!

More Ramchargers history...in 1961 and 1962 their sponsor was "Taylor's Motor Sales" in Detroit...although it was only a front for the factory. It later became Northwestern Dodge before Northwestern relocated...now it is a U-Haul place but it seems pretty untouched! Looks like the huge showroom windows are just boarded up! What a timemachine this could be, it was a huge dealership with additional parking across the street.

If someone thinks that the Packard plant is a rough area don't go and check out where design guru Virgil Exner lived in the 1930:s. He rented the second floor of this building in the 1930:s...could ave been the house next door too...I already made a u-turn and didn't want to slow down too much to check out the number..lol!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/15/11 01:07 PM

Let's see some cars before looking at more Chrysler history. And there's a furrin vehicle in the mix...although it is clearly in America, the amount of overkill is just right!

When my mother and father visited Detroit in 1967 they rented a Fairlane 500 2dHT that was even the same color than this one...they also toured the Ford factory back then;

When my parents came home they soon bought a Rambler American...but not quite like this. I have fond memories of that car as I loved to ride in it until my father traded it for a new Chrysler 180 in 1974. Not a good move, we should have bought a Dart.

This was definitely the nastiest sounding car at the WDC!

Posted By: idrivevintage

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/15/11 01:24 PM

Hans, you sir are awesome Make no excuses to anyone for your enthusiasm!

Enjoy the history of it all...I smiled at the pictures of your loot

I've got scraps of buildings and such laying around too and most people think it's crazy Cool to see another saving little pieces of the past.

It's amazing to see some of those pictures...buildings in absolute ruin, just sitting wide open ready to be explored. Can't help to think what little treasures one might still find in there

The floor tile from the gaurd shack and dyno room are awesome!!!

Thanks for sharing your pictures and trip with us.

Sorry about your mom

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/15/11 02:27 PM

Allpar.com has a great tour on their site of Chrysler factories...I followed their route especially as I wasn't familiar with the area from before and it is easy to drive back and forth too much.

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/factories/tour.html

First was Sterling Stamping;

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/factories/sterling-heights.html

Then Sterling Heights Assembly;

Then a place that has an amazing history, the old Detroit Tank Arsenal where Chrysler built tanks a long time. The factory itself was built incredibly fast, more here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Arsenal_Tank_Plant

Short visit at Van Dyke Dodge which is just across the street, got me the MoPar Performance catalog and drooled at the new Rams;

I was curious about the the huge number of Chrysler trucks running around, they all seem to be Macks, not a single Freightliner? I got the inside story later, all Freightliners were dumped as soon as bloodsucking Daimler was out of the picture. Nobody wants to have anything to do with those guys! Sounds good to me!

I am sure that many of us has wondered what the Center Line Parts Facilty looks like as the address appears on so many parts packages, here it is;

This sounds just about right

Detroit Axle is now closed...

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/factories/detroit-axle.html

Lynch Road Plant, so rich in history, is right next to it...closed too...get the full factory tour in 1954 here;

http://www.allpar.com/cars/plymouth/factory-tour.html

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/factories/lynch-road.html

In my stupidity I thought that this was Lynch Road but it is still part of Detroit Axle...these things are so huge it is unbelievable!

Jefferson Avenue Plant;

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/factories/jefferson-avenue.html

Mack Avenue Engine Complex;

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/factories/mack-avenue-engine.html

Mt Elliott Tool And Die;

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/factories/mt-elliott.html

This is a common sight in Detroit, used for transport of car parts between facilities;

Looks like Photobucket left some pics out, I think that this is another parts distributing facilty but can't remember the address;

Finally, Warren Truck or Dodge City as it is called...we will return here!!

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/factories/warren-truck.html

Not enough? How about the building where Creative Industries put together the Dodge Charger Daytonas?;

http://www.aerowarriors.com/afct.html

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/15/11 02:32 PM

Quote:

Hans, you sir are awesome Make no excuses to anyone for your enthusiasm!

Enjoy the history of it all...I smiled at the pictures of your loot

I've got scraps of buildings and such laying around too and most people think it's crazy Cool to see another saving little pieces of the past.

It's amazing to see some of those pictures...buildings in absolute ruin, just sitting wide open ready to be explored. Can't help to think what little treasures one might still find in there

The floor tile from the gaurd shack and dyno room are awesome!!!

Thanks for sharing your pictures and trip with us.

Sorry about your mom

Thank you for the kind words...it makes all this work with the pics a lot easier, haven't saved the links or anything so I have to find this stuff as I go...more to come...a lot more!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/15/11 02:48 PM

Great pics...you were in some rough areas. I actually love urban decay and graffiti pics and Detroit is full of both. I have some good pics from 8 Mile Road.

If you ever do Woodward again we do a get-together the Wednesday before at the Donut Cutter. And you can actually cruise! I will take you for a ride in my Dart.

Thanks for the pics...I like seeing familiar stuff from a different perspective.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/15/11 03:12 PM

Back to the cruise again, today a lot of cool MoPars at the Donut Cutter!

Duggans is one of the cruise hotspots;

GM was setting up this day as well;

They also had a bunch of these cool old billboards on Woodward;

I guess this one's for Ryan?

This looked quite ga..cool? (yes, I know what it is but still..)

This guy wanted to sell me his bike...is that legal? Or was he working so deep deep undercover that I didn't realize it? I was happy to see Harleys though, anything else on Woodward would be dead wrong!

A magnificent Newport Custom..from Canada, eh?

Yes, there were some fellows who had seen the light and had arrived from far, far away places;

Nasty;

I have never seen so many full-size big block 4-speed cars in my life...awesome!

Fargos rule!

Eh?

One more of those "Hot Chiefs";

Sam's Shell is always packed;

The Hunter House is the only diner that remains on Woodward from the 1950:s. If you like to know more about Woodward Avenue history get Robert Genat's book "Woodward Avenue - Cruising the Legendary Strip"

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/15/11 03:18 PM

Quote:

Great pics...you were in some rough areas. I actually love urban decay and graffiti pics and Detroit is full of both. I have some good pics from 8 Mile Road.

If you ever do Woodward again we do a get-together the Wednesday before at the Donut Cutter. And you can actually cruise! I will take you for a ride in my Dart.

Thanks for the pics...I like seeing familiar stuff from a different perspective.

Hey, thanks, much appreciated. Would have loved that, maybe next time! Detroit should really be experienced in vintage iron! Feel free to share some pics in this thread, it is a lot about love for Detroit anyway! And speaking of Donut Cutter...

My dream would be to buy a 1969-72 New Yorker, preferably black, and cruise coast to coast in it. That would give some awesome photo-ops in places like New York, Detroit and Chicago...
Posted By: gts340swinger

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/15/11 04:12 PM

I wouldn't be against seeing every one of your pictures with your perspective on it posted here. Great thread. I think you and I have a lot in common. The history of these cars and the people who made them are just as much a part of the fun of the hobby as the cars themselves. You are lucky to have made this trip. many of us who live here in the USA haven't seen as much of it as you have, or with so much detail.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/15/11 04:36 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't be against seeing every one of your pictures with your perspective on it posted here. Great thread. I think you and I have a lot in common. The history of these cars and the people who made them are just as much a part of the fun of the hobby as the cars themselves. You are lucky to have made this trip. many of us who live here in the USA haven't seen as much of it as you have, or with so much detail.

Thank you Sir! That's how I feel! When you have read most what can be read about the cars you want to dig deeper into history. There will be lots of treats ahead and I wouldn't mind posting all my pics but it is a lot of work...mostly due to the slow upload process. Most people would probably fall asleep too Now I have to get my a$$ in gear and remove the trans from my '67 D200 Sweptline crew longbox...thought I'd get it up and running with a small effort but unfortunately the trans was full of sand and water The darn thing is full of rust inside. I have to get it off my buddys 4-post lift by tomorrow. Anyone have a good small block 727 reasonably? I need to get it in operable shape, it is a pain to move it here, there are no trailers big enough! I have to load it in my work truck and I need a loading dock to get it out! More pics to follow after my wrenching session and work in the morning...
Posted By: Airgrabber

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/15/11 04:58 PM

Those photos are some of the coolest pictures that I have seen in a long time. I'm happy you had the opportunity to check this stuff out.
Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/15/11 05:11 PM

Thank you so much Forwardlook!!
Sounds like your mom was a good lady, sorry for your loss.

This is the best post I've seen on here in a long time, thank you!! You've got a great eye for all cars!
Posted By: Frito

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/15/11 05:12 PM

Wow, Thanks for posting and your right, Rhinodart is a one of a kind. It was nice to meet you at the Nats, hope you are able to make it again.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/15/11 05:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thank you Sir! That's how I feel! When you have read most what can be read about the cars you want to dig deeper into history. There will be lots of treats ahead and I wouldn't mind posting all my pics but it is a lot of work...mostly due to the slow upload process. Most people would probably fall asleep too Now I have to get my a$$ in gear and remove the trans from my '67 D200 Sweptline crew longbox...thought I'd get it up and running with a small effort but unfortunately the trans was full of sand and water The darn thing is full of rust inside. I have to get it off my buddys 4-post lift by tomorrow. Anyone have a good small block 727 reasonably? I need to get it in operable shape, it is a pain to move it here, there are no trailers big enough! I have to load it in my work truck and I need a loading dock to get it out! More pics to follow after my wrenching session and work in the morning...

Hans, go make some money and I will ship you all your parts plus a good 727 I have laying around, just let me know when!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/15/11 06:13 PM

I didn't know you were at the Donut Cutter. Somehow I missed you. Of course I parked my Duster in the back anyway.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/16/11 04:21 AM

I am humbled by all the kind words, thank you! Since it is only 2.30AM I have an hour or so to post pics before going to work Rhino, I'll get back to you about the trans etc etc

Here we go again with more Chrysler stuff. I had a few hours in before an afternoon appointment so I took off north where I was heading anyway later. I am sure that many are not familiar with the fact that Chrysler had already built a new corporate headquarters in Troy back in 1974 but was forced to sell when the hard times arrived soon after. It was designed by Yamasaki & Associates who were also responsible for some buildings at the Highland Park site. It is situated just along I-75, a bit south from the current Auburn Hills HQ and on the opposite (west) side;

http://900tower.com/

I had visited the WPC Museum before but I thought that they'd have some new items on display and if all else fails there is always the gift shop The WPC is a must stop really. When visting, be sure to drive the loop around the headquarters as well, it is unbelievably huge!

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/factories/CTC.html

wpchryslermuseum.org/

I still need parts for one of these;

http://www.victorysiren.com/x/index.htm

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/16/11 04:02 PM

Thanks for posting the pic of the 67 Monaco 500. I have one and you and I (and the guy driving the one in the pic) might be the only three people in the world that like it.

Get on with the pics already.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/16/11 04:14 PM

More pics please!

By the way, another place you might find interesting if you come back to this area is Meadowbrook Hall in Rochester, Michigan. It was built by the widow of John Dodge and her second husband.

http://www.meadowbrookhall.org/

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/16/11 04:49 PM

Quote:

More pics please!

By the way, another place you might find interesting if you come back to this area is Meadowbrook Hall in Rochester, Michigan. It was built by the widow of John Dodge and her second husband.

http://www.meadowbrookhall.org/

Now, that's funny right there, I don't care who you are! Kneeling over the Greater Detroit area map and looking...let's see..he went to see the Yamasaki Chrysler HQ...then Auburn Hills...where would he go next? Yes, there is no other possibility, it must be Meadowbrook Hall!!

I was looking forward to seeing some of the magnificent homes that people in the auto industry built all over the Detroit area, had stacked info on them but unfortunately Meadowbrook Hall was the only one I managed to see. It is unbelievable...once again, the grounds themselves are so big that it is hard to comprehend....and the house is a work of art! The clock was ticking so I could not do the inside tour but I did see a little bit and I have no words. This is a must see if in Detroit! And please read some of the Dodge Brothers history, they were bigger than Henry Ford!

Yeah, this is where I usually hang out when in Detroit

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/16/11 04:51 PM

LMAO! I give up, I think you've seen and done everything.

I haven't been there in years, but I loved going to Meadowbrook when I was a kid.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/16/11 05:02 PM

Quote:

LMAO! I give up, I think you've seen and done everything.

I haven't been there in years, but I loved going to Meadowbrook when I was a kid.

I managed a lot considering that I was in Detroit only for a week...but seriously, I only scratched the surface! There is so much to see it is unreal...but more to come, Thursday at noon so far...now where am I headed next...there must be something big going on in the northern suburbs if one is skipping the inside of Meadowbrook Hall and runs through the WPC?

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/16/11 10:43 PM

Well, at least it was big for me! I had been talkin to Roger, a great guy I happened to get to know on the Detroityes forum, he is a Packard man and knows a lot of the automotive history in Detroit. I asked him if there was any activity at the Packard Proving Grounds during the week before Woodward Dream Cruise and he mentioned that we could figure something out. He actually arranged Sue, a very friendly Packard volunteer, to do a full tour of the complex just for me!! It was almost embarrassing...thank you again good people...there is so much talk these days about people having changed and that old time good will and generosity is gone but I witnessed quite the opposite on my trip. I wish I can return the favors one day! The test track grounds were originally 560 acres of which 14 remains today. It is evident that the area is quite different to the Packard plant one as the buildings sat almost forgotten a long time, yet there was no major damage done there in that period. Again, so much history here, the track was also completely leased by Chrysler for tank testing during WW2, thus the "Chrysler Building" in the middle.

http://www.packardmotorfdn.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packard_Proving_Grounds

What is shown above (and remains today) is what can be seen up in the middle of this aerial photo from the 1950:s;

This shot is from 1949;

I wonder if someone has tried to recreate this shot from 1955 inside the tank building?;

This is what you see when entering the grounds from Van Dyke, at one point there was so many trees in front that you couldn't even see the buildings from the road...that might be one factor that helped in saving them;

This is another work by Albert Kahn, it is amazing how much he influenced Detroit;

The interior is being worked on, it is very nice now and it will be a great time machine when finished! You can see a great deal of old photos and stories on the walls aboyut the family who took care of the complex along with stories about other Packard employees that worked there;

There was so much cool historic Packard stuff inside, a few of these chairs were saved from the plant, Sue did not know when that happened. I always wondered how long there was actual Packard stuff inside the plant after Packard left in 1956;

The garage and engineering building;

The original water tower;

This is the back side of the Chrysler built tank facility, the largest building on site;

My favorite Packard, in a great color combo, inside awaiting restoration...it was in great shape already!;

Lots of space here...another time machine, a fantastic place!;

Not to mention what else was inside...the Packard entrance missing from the plant is here..both of them! Along with light fixtures, doors, windows...so happy that some of it is in good hands instead of blood sucking scavengers!;

What about a NOS Packard engine, somewhat bigger than usual!;

Yours truly in the restored timing tower and the short part of the test track that was saved is in the background;

Yeah, got me a piece of the wooden Packard Plant assembly floor too! Thank you again for the tour guys!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/16/11 11:07 PM

Pretty neat! I hope you took a long trip this past summer, I'm looking forward to more.
Posted By: 440newport

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/16/11 11:30 PM

Sorry about your mom.

I love your pics and story. I too have a fascination with this kind of stuff and your enthusiasm for it really comes through in your posts. I hope to take similar trip someday myself.

Love that 67 New Yorker too.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/16/11 11:48 PM

The day wasn't over yet though! I had to perform an oil change on Jim's truck and thought he'd get a kick out of that being done at what seems to be the site of the old Jimmy Addison Sunoco of the Silver Bullet fame! This Valvoline oil change facilty is located at the legendary intersection of Woodward and Taunton;

At Woodward and 13 Mile Road Chrysler was out in force and setting up shop. In this area I spent a lot of my time at the cruise walking up and down on Woodward;

Just a short distance to the north GM also had their stuff pretty much ready;

Great display of their new engines;

And an even better one of the classic ones. Very cool!;

Couldn't stay long here either though because now it is ice-cream time! Roger, the friendly Packard man, told me that the yearly Packard ice cream social would be tonight and that I would be welcome to attend! Since I'm not the one saying no to sweet things it's a done deal! Great cars present and great people as well! Thank you goes also to the hosts, Roger and Sue (different ones than the ones previously mentioned ), the ice cream was great and your house is beautiful!

I saw a Kaiser Darrin earlier at the cruise and thought that was pretty special...but here's another one! Cool cars for sure! Check out the doors, they slide into the fenders...

Bowling anyone? Lots of entaertainment and cool stuff here;

John who played the massive organ (the size of a good sized garage!) is also an organ player at the downtown Fox Theater and an automotive historian. I don't know anything about playing music but this guy was impressive!

http://www.historicdetroit.org/building/fox-theatre/

With my stomach filled and a bunch great new experiences richer I had some time still at Woodward. I was getting a bit excited though as something really spectacular would be going down on Friday! BTW, many people warned about Detroit and I have to agree. There is dangerous stuff around...the Bloomfield Hills mosquitoes will draw blood out of you faster than the scavengers can kill the Packard plant!

Posted By: Birdturd

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/17/11 12:17 AM

Absolutly awsome post The pics of the old buildings with the history is pretty neat!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/17/11 01:09 AM

Thank you again for the comments! Friday now, I was supposed to meet Carmine from Moparts a bit later as he was able to do me a huge favor! A Warren Truck plant tour!!! I hadn't seen enough of downtown yet and not even the Michigan Central Depot! So, I head down south with the trusty MoPar V10 (God I love my carbon footprint, I want to make a statue of it!) and I see a lot of interesting old factories on the way once again. I should get in touch with some Detroit historians for my next visit, it bugs me that I miss out on a lot of stuff!

This is the site of the recently demolished DeSoto/McGraw Glass plant...I was only a few months late...couldn't even get any artifacts since the site is completely fenced. Maybe they knew I was coming?

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2011/05/a-very-belated-obituary-for-desoto/

Approaching the Michigan Central Depot is a surreal experience! One can only imagine how it must have felt almost 100 years ago for a country boy to see something like this. What is really sad is the fact that it only took 10 years for the criminal elements to break almost everything in this huge structure. I really think every single one of them should have been shot on site. Luckily it seems now that the building will be renovated, there were crews working on it when I visited.

http://mc.net/~louisvw/depot/det-mc/det-mc.htm

The Book-Cadillac Hotel was once also completely run down, now it is fully restored for $200 million!

http://www.bookcadillacwestin.com/
http://www.forgottendetroit.com/caddy/index.html

The Horace E. Dodge and Son Memorial Fountain can be found in Hart Plaza. It is a great site for remembering the great influence The Dodge Brothers had on Detroit but in my mind the fountain is ugly beyond belief...sorry, someone had to say it...

Windsor, Canada is connected to Detroit by a tunnel, didn't go there as I wasn't sure if my loaner truck would cause issues...wanted to see the Challenger plant though and the Ford St Thomas plant that recently closed...they manufactured the Panther platform cars, Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marquis and Lincoln Town Car...the last real American sedans. The street scene will not be the same soon...even New York has horrible imported cabs...that should be illegal!!! Looks like visiting Hong Kong or some other plastic city...I'd never set my foot in one, that's un-American...rant off...here's Windsor seen from Detroit;

A beautiful riverboat;

GM:s Renaissance Center is pretty impressive even if I'm more of an old school guy be it cars, buildings or what have you;

Imported From Detroit! OK, the clock is ticking, can't keep an Italian fellow who has an offer you can't refuse, waiting! Besides, he drives Imperials...

Posted By: 446acuda

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/17/11 03:19 AM

Thank for posting pictures! Lots of interesting stuff even the non-Mopar stuff. No shortage of Hemis and Danas
Posted By: AKA

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/17/11 03:36 AM

Quote:

What's the story on this 440 GTS? Was this in WI a few years ago?

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/17/11 03:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What's the story on this 440 GTS? Was this in WI a few years ago?

Yep, we got it from Al Wiedemeir, he raced it a couple of times at Da Grove. We parted it out to restore another one. Eventually it will be restored too...hopefully...
Posted By: AKA

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/17/11 03:46 AM

Quote:

Yep, we got it from Al Wiedemeir, he raced it a couple of times at Da Grove. We parted it out to restore another one. Eventually it will be restored too...hopefully...

That's what I thought, it looked a lot better when Al & John had it, one of the few cars I can say that about.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/17/11 07:05 AM

At the Chrysler display Carmine had his gorgeous Imperial ready and we hitched a ride back to Warren Stamping with a friend of his, Bill, who is another Chrysler nut with interesting cars in his collection. Thank you again for the ride, the Charger is unbelievable (a low mile original)!

Lots of cool vintage rides at the Chrysler display now including some really famous ones;

THe WPC Museum had this gorgeous Fury on display and the museum giftshop had various goodies for sale;

This is it! We're going in!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/17/11 09:09 PM

I mentioned that visiting the old Chrysler Highland Park HQ site was the climax of my trip and it was, due to the fact that pretty much everything cool had its start there. But there were many other things that ranked just beside it, the tour of Warren Stamping and Warren Truck were absolutely way up there too. I owe Carmine big time for this but there were many other people involved that made it happen for a nobody from a faraway land! I even got to shake hands with the plant manager of Warren Truck, sure appreciate the hospitality Sir! And what's too cool is the fact that so many people in the plant have classic MoPars themselves. It is a first class operation in all respects and I could have spent weeks or months here to see and learn everything! I also enjoyed the fact that the truck plant is so rich in history, I have several trucks that were made here so it added to the excitement! Of course the plant looks different outside than it looked back in the day (bummer) but that's what companies tend to do, make things look modern. I guess what has kept it running for so long is the fact that it is a one story factory unlike many of the older ones. This is the main reason why the old factories in Detroit are gone, they represent a different thinking and the new ones need a lot more acreage to build. That is one major reason why the factories moved to the suburbs...or why a lot of Hamtramck was leveled to get GM to build on the old Dodge Hamtramck site and its surroundings. OK, enough talking, let's get inside where it all happens, first Warren Stamping;

From back in the day, the area was so different then;

Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue!

The whole place is clean as a pin;

A lot of the production here goes to Warren Truck next door but also to other Chrysler factories (and no, the Schuler presses are not Daimler-related, they were in place before);

History is not hidden in these halls;

Walking through the parking lot/shipping area to Warren Truck we find something cool, the monthly employee car show!

A true gearhead has cars on display all over Detroit...that is Carmine's beautiful Imperial in the foreground!

Chrysler had a couple of cars to show too;

A lot of cool cars in this little American vehicles only show with a great relaxed atmosphere;

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/17/11 09:36 PM

OK, goggles on and I'm ready! The lighting conditions were not ideal since we were in a hurry to get the full tour before the 10 mile conveyor is stopped during change of shifts and I hadn't coughed up enough cash to buy a better lens but I hope there are a few pics good enough. A flash is pretty much useless for pics like these. There are a lot of stuff from Dodge City in the links below, much better pics than mine and a lot of details about the factory and the assembly process!

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/factories/warren-truck.html

http://www.allpar.com/trucks/dodge/ram-factory.html

This gives an idea of the size of the complex;

Here's an awesome photo from back in the Sweptline days;

The management tools around in style...a cool shot from inside the factory!

Yeah, it will get a Hemi!

Yes, withouth the European protectionism that makes the prices of these trucks skyrocket here I would already have one! Get them while you can, the gubmint might take that right away from you!

A few more from the paint shop which is in a separate building;

This completes the Warren Truck plant tour, thank you again for all parties involved! A day I will never forget!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/17/11 11:41 PM

Driving back towards Woodward with Carmine in his beautifully aged Imperial and talking about Kirk Kerkorian, Jerry York and Robert Eaton I was totally hyped but also concerned that I would not meet Ed, the retired Chrysler Engineer and his engineer friends from Auburn Hills.

A rare sight, a Challenger R/T Sheriff unit at the Chrysler display;

I was seriously late and unfortunately he did not hear my call so after Carmine dropped me off at the Chrysler display and returned to work, I hurried south to Ferndale where an Emergency Vehicle Show was on...they already had the parade and it seems several cars took off after it but there was still quite a few interesting ones left. Since I'm a C-body guy there are few things better than a C-body Highway Patrol car and I like the beautifully finished American emergency vehicles in general, quite a contrast to the ugly cheap looking European ones! There were still a good variety of different MoPar bodystyles present including the fantastic Michigan State Police Fury familiar from the Nats;

The mandatory Blues Brothers car was present as well...this one was nicer than most and if I remember correctly it was a rare civilian 440 car...

Remember when ambulances used to be based on Cadillacs and other big sedans? Beautiful and luxurios Superiors and Miller-Meteors? What happened there? Downsizing of the sedans and thus killing that style? No, gubmint happened in 1973 (from coachbuilt.com);

"1973 EMS SYSTEMS ACT - The 1973 EMS Systems Act - passed in 1974, implemented four years later in 1978 - required that communities receiving federal funds for their programs had ambulances that met new federal specifications. Three chassis styles meet the criteria and are still in use today: Type I uses a small truck body with a modular compartment, Type II has a van body with a raised roof and Type III has van chassis with a modular compartment. Passenger-based vehicles were purposely excluded from legislation and the last American-made automobile-based ambulance was built in 1978. However a handful of automobile-based ambulances are still made in Europe using Mercedes E-Class and Volvo S-60/S-80 chassis."

Ford had a big display under construction in Ferndale;

Driving back to the Chrysler display I had a look at the Detroit Masonic Temple, another amazing structure with 1037 rooms and 12 million cubic feet of space!

http://www.detroitmasonic.com/

The Chrysler display was pretty much set for the big day tomorrow! Woodward Dream Cruise 2011!

A silent moment...I never had the pleasure of meeting Gary...

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/17/11 11:56 PM

Always glad to see Gary's Challenger out. Great pics of the truck plant too.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/18/11 02:17 AM

The big day is here but since I have been watching cruising on Woodward for a week now I don't feel like going there early in the morning as there are many places to see still! First up is the Skillman Branch of the Detroit Public Library. They have the biggest automotive collection in the world!

http://www.detroit.lib.mi.us/nahc/

I was concerned about how on earth I ever could leave this place but it was closed, maybe due to the cruise??!!! One day I'll be back!

I decided to take a walk in downtown for a moment before heading back north. Here is the stunning Wayne County courthouse that was close to being demolished in the 1970:s. What were they thinking??

Looking towards the Book-Cadillac entrance;

Pawnshop window in the Motor City;

Comerica Park was quite an impressive sight in downtown...stupid me drove right past the old Tiger Stadium though earlier, don't know how that is possible even if I thought that it has been demolished? I tend to be a bit more alert in neighborhoods where tireshops don't offer sizes smaller than 24:s in their windows...

1525 Woodward used to be occupied by Chrysler personnel working for the top secret Manhattan Project (a-bomb development) for a period of two years. Chrysler not only built 7 of the 8 B-29 engines that carried the a-bombs to Japan, they also solved many engineering problems in the project;

http://www.allpar.com/history/military/a-bomb.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan_Project

I also wanted to check out the Detroit Historical Museum, they have a lot of automotive goodies inside including a body-drop part of a Cadillac assembly line;

http://www.detroithistorical.org/main/dhm/index.aspx

I'd love to have one of these in triple white with a 500cid Cadillac mill...so sad to see one incomplete forever..but a cool display nevertheless;

There are a ton of old beautiful mansions just along Woodward Avenue;

A lot of stuff to see but so little time. I was off to see the cruise!

It was sad to see that the Vinsetta garage had closed shop after more than 90 years;

http://www.vinsettagarage.com/

I love Imperials;

OK...I want this car!

I guess the USA and Canada are pretty much the only countries in the world with purpose-built fire trucks and specially modified emergency vehicles in general. And the pride that people, who operate these, have is amazing. Every time I see emergency vehicles in the US I want to take photos.

A rare treat, a 1958 Imperial. It always amazes me how rare the Forward Look Chryslers are in the US.

Here's a couple for those late night runs on Woodward, Gratiot or Telegraph;

I don't think that I saw more than three Sweptline era trucks on WDC, this one, the 528 Hemi one that's famous from HRM and a flat black with a big block in Pontiac. What's up dudes, these are cool! Cruise in them!

If some of you wondered why there were lots of people carrying slicks around, this was the reason;

Love the stance on this one;

I wanted to get some Silver Bullet souvenirs and I did, including a diecast with Jimmy Addisons signature! The guy who was selling the stuff told me to talk to Harold Sullivan after the TV crew was done with him. I hung around for awhile and thought that he is probably too busy, no big deal. I was already on the other side of the Chrysler display when Harold comes running concerned about being rude! What the heck? He is a nice guy and invited me to sit in the Silver Bullet! Priceless!

http://www.silverbulletgtx.com/

Another shot by..."Don't you know who I am? I'm Galen Govier!" Thank you fellas!

Nothing like catching a ride in a boat on a trailer...but wait..it's not connected to anything??? This thing cruised around at a good rate of speed too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC9ojh8AJoM

Pontiac fans won't give up;

Detroit - Murder City?

More celebrities, Faith Granger of the Deuce of Spades movie fame seems to cruise everywhere;

http://www.deuceofspadesmovie.com/

Who wouldn't love a Gremlin X?

But suddely all hell broke loose, I did take notice way before when the wind picked up speed, it was a bit scary really, my truck was really far and trees started fall on powerlines all over. I have never been so wet in my life;

The police tried to stop the cruising but it continued somewhat later as the conditions improved;

It was also getting dark and besides some last moment cruising I wanted to check out a few places still. On 14 Mile Road and Eton is the site that used to be Ted Spehar's service station. I do not know if the buildings there have anything to do with that but it might be possible?

http://www.myrideisme.com/Blog/woodward-aves-silver-bullet-last-words/

A rare bird, a 300G convertible;

One place I definitely wouldn't miss is the Howard Johnson restaurant where the High End Club would meet before the police made them gather at the Civic Center instead. I am not sure if the building on site is the old Howard Johnson restaurant with modifications or not though?

In the Civic Center parking lot, close to I-696 where the racing took place;

Halfway through my trip now, anyone awake still? Lol.
Posted By: 67RT

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/18/11 06:03 AM

This is a great post, please keep it up.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/18/11 06:13 AM

Didn't know my truck came close to getting clobbered by trees, thank goodness I had a great guy protecting it! Next time you come over I am sticking with you!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/18/11 06:27 AM

Awake.
Posted By: LAST440

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/18/11 06:52 AM

WOW. You really know how to TOUR!

Amazing.

I want to go to Warren Truck next year.

Great pics, thanks for sharing
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/18/11 07:09 AM

When you done giving us a Great American Automotive History lesson this thread needs to be moved to "The Best Of Moparts" What an Awesome Post & A Great Trip you took.. Sorry about the loss of your Mom.. Your making her proud..
Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/18/11 08:05 AM

Quote:

When you done giving us a Great American Automotive History lesson this thread needs to be moved to "The Best Of Moparts" What an Awesome Post & A Great Trip you took.. Sorry about the loss of your Mom.. Your making her proud..

Just a great thread with so much history and cars.
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/18/11 09:35 AM

This thread is awesome... Good detective work and great pics. You have a finger on the pulse, alright...
I would love to be able to plan an excursion like that. So much to see and do, I wouldn't know where to start!
Posted By: furydave

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/18/11 09:21 PM

awsome thread!! Thanks for all the Great pics.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/19/11 01:02 AM

Thank you again for the kind words! It is fun to share these as I did most of this stuff by myself. That has its pros too though, it is hard to find nutcases like me who wouldn't start to compromise after a two week overload of automotive history and old stuff in general! So, no letting off the loud pedal, actually, now the faster pace starts after sitting mostly idle for a couple of weeks! One last look at Detroit stuff, I had a few places I had to skip but I think I did pretty good and accomplished a great deal of what I had planned.

Once again a fantastic structure with a rich history, the Plymouth Road Office Complex that was unfortunately vacated recently. 1.5 million square feet on 50 acres, built in 1926 to make Kelvinator refrigerators (God, I want a 1950:s Kelvinator Food-A-Rama!!) it made its way to being AMC Headquarters after Kelvinator first merged with Nash in 1937 and Hudson was then added in the mix in 1954. When Chrysler bought AMC in 1987 the complex served as the engineering location for all corporate trucks and SUV:s until it was cleared and the operations moved to Auburn Hills.

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/factories/PROC.html

Before saying farewell to Detroit I wanted to see the location of Stanford Dodge as they raced, among other things, 1960 and 1961 Dodges back in the day. If you want to get some awesome old photos like this, go to (Hi Patrice, will order some when I recover from this trip);

http://www.joestevensphotos.com/NHRADrag...049556160_58b3Q

The building seems to have survived very well, anyone have any shots of it from back in the day???

Moving really slowly towards Chicago here's one more Chrysler stop on the way, the Trenton Engine Plant Complex (North and South);

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/trenton-engine.html

Here something went very wrong! Maybe it was my looseleaf note system that failed or the stress of making all the planned stops during Sunday to be able to drive the longer distance in the evening before the sights on Monday but I completely forgot about the Chelsea Proving Grounds!! Well, excuses, excuses!

Here is another excellent read from Allpar, the 3,850 acre Chrysler Proving Grounds;

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/chelsea-proving-grounds.html

Next stop was Fords Willow Run complex that originally made the B-24 Liberators (read the first link, it is fantastic and it is another example of how Detroit to a great extent saved the western way of life, I wonder how the world got so screwed up that people make fun of it today??), then Kaisers and later Hydramatic Transmissions, trucks, Corvairs, Novas, Caprices and even M16 rifles! Unfortunately a severe rainstorm appeared just before my arrival to the complex and I was forced to continue as it was impossible to see anything. Besides, to get any kind of an idea of this facility you'd need a helicopter...this was at the time the largest building in the world and there were over 40,000 workers here at the peak, it is extremely impressive no matter how you look at it. There's also the fantastic story of GM putting together a Hydramatic transmission factory, after the biggest industrial fire in history, in just 9 weeks!! Here's some links and old photos, there's a lot of history here so there is a lot more to be found if one wants to do that;

http://www.strategosinc.com/willow_run.htm
http://liberatorcrew.com/06_B-24_Prod.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKlt6rNciTo
http://www.allpar.com/cars/adopted/kaiser.html
http://www.autotran.us/TheGreatHydraMaticFire.html

Posted By: dynotune440

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/19/11 01:49 AM

Hans....
Sorry to hear about your mum....
Nice pictures....I always wanted to go and see where the stuff was made at....lots of history there...

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/19/11 02:32 AM

I had to hurry as I did have time for one more thing this day. I was quite certain that it would be cool but I had no idea how good it would be! I have been to a few historical automotive places in my life but I have to ask myself if this really isn't the best of them all? It is THE place if you love Hudsons! It is beyond fantastic if you want to know more about Willow Run! It is a wealth of info if you want to know about dealerships and automotive history in the area in general! If you love dealership memorabilia it is a showcase of especially Hudson stuff with even a realistic dealer showroom (well, it is an actual dealership, the last Hudson one)! This is a place where automotive history is king, the watermelon (green outside, red inside)mean greenies are somewhere in another dimension and yesterday is today! What a trip! I give you Miller Motors in Ypsilanti, Michigan! Go and see it if you have the chance!

http://www.ypsiautoheritage.org/

When the Willow Run transmission operations were shut down a lot of stuff was donated to the museum, the best thing is that the walls are covered with stuff along with descriptions, this is a place where you want to spend at least a day;

How about a NOS Kaiser body with its ORIGINAL cart....

A lot of interesting Tucker stuff too;

The original car that Herb Thomas raced back in the day! This was the time when Hudsons ruled NASCAR! Jack Miller told me a cool story how it was found. A long time ago a customer was looking for some parts for what appeared to be a factory severe usage suspension and eyebrows started to raise...yes, it turned out to be the Herb Thomas racecar!

http://www.legendsofnascar.com/Herb_Thomas.htm

There was also a letter to Herb Thomas and Smokey Yunick, who prepared the cars, signed by no other than Vince Piggins who later became a legend at Chevrolet. He was responsible for stuff like Z16 Chevelles and Z/28 Camaros;

Mentioned Severe Usage Parts in Factory Bulletin and NOS form;

The dealership parts display was unbelievable with factory race parts and everything else;

Stuff, more stuff;

The service area was a mess but in a cool way;

I sure hope I can get back to Miller Motors one day, what a place! One more thing (actually there would be several but I'm always in a hurry) before leaving Ypsilanti, the home of Preston Tucker! Unfortunately some worthless soul had burned down the garage but the house was renovated and is in beautiful shape;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preston_Tucker
http://www.economicthinking.org/Americanhistory/tucker-greg.html
www.tuckerclub.org

Ypsilanti Machine Tool Company, the Tucker family business was located here;

I had to skip the Gilmore Car Museum which would have housed a wealth of info on Tuckers along with other fantastic things but some other time I am sure?

http://gilmorecarmuseum.org/

OK, looks like the Photobucket bandwidth was exceeded even if I used three different accounts...I upgraded to pro so hopefully it works when we enter the next stop, the fabulous Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Museum!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/19/11 02:39 AM

What gives? I upgraded to Pro but some images still don't show up even if all the images in the last post are in the same account? Can you guys see all the pics in the post above?
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/19/11 02:42 AM

There are 23 photos visible..

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/19/11 02:47 AM

Quote:

There are 23 photos visible..

OK, much appreciated! All is well then, I can see only 11.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/19/11 03:30 AM

The Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Museum is the perfect place to visit if you want to see what class meant back in the day. This was something else than a Model A Ford. These cars made a serious statement. If you had money you could at least make the impression that you had style too when tooling around in your new Duesenberg. But many people driving them had style, not to mention the factory showroom in these photos. This place was cool in another way than Miller Motors, not that many small trinkets all over but like Miller Motors it was a time machine to a different era, just a bit farther away. This is one of the few moments in my life when I wish that I would have been wearing a suit, Levi's and t-shirts are taking away from this environment.

http://www.automobilemuseum.org/Pages/default.aspx
http://www.acdclub.org/

The original layout of the grounds...I could write a lot about this place as well but there is still much to post and I'm a bit tired...it is another place I urge everyone to visit if you have the chance!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/19/11 03:38 AM

When I refreshed the page all the pictures showed.

Kinda funny that you forgot the proving grounds...that was the first thing I asked you after you got back; if you had seen it.

Definitely try to make the Gilmore Car Museum some day...it's pretty far away from the Detroit area but it is worth the drive. They have a big Mopars at the Red Barns show there every July. But the Tucker is always my favorite car there.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/19/11 04:06 AM

Quote:

When I refreshed the page all the pictures showed.

Kinda funny that you forgot the proving grounds...that was the first thing I asked you after you got back; if you had seen it.

Definitely try to make the Gilmore Car Museum some day...it's pretty far away from the Detroit area but it is worth the drive. They have a big Mopars at the Red Barns show there every July. But the Tucker is always my favorite car there.

That's odd because I refreshed too and no help? In fact, I still can't see them. I guess I need to remove some history from the puter for it to work? Anyways, missing the Chelsea Proving Grounds ISN'T FUNNY AT ALL!! Lol. Yeah, the Gilmore seems to be a real trip, have looked at a lot of pics from there!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/19/11 11:53 AM

Behind the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Museum is the National Auto and Truck Museum. This is one big place and it is housed in the old ACD facilities that are too cool themselves. A lot of vehicles here and an amazing die cast collection. It is also a superb place if you like International trucks, a lot of factory prototypes and other oddities on the lower level along with a number of Scouts. Highly recommended!

www.http://natmus.org/

The Chrysler Sno-Runners are everywhere! I did see one at the Nats too...still bugs me that I didn't buy it...but I really didn't have the money anyway..sigh.

Not your ordinary Chrysler Crate Engine;

I had to fly out of Auburn and I still couldn't find the 6th gear in the Dodge. Lol. When you go past 70 this thing is really starting to suck down gas like there is no tomorrow with 4.10:s in the back. Luckily gas isn't 9 bucks a gallon like back home but it still puts a hurtin when you rack up about 10,000 miles in a month and have noone to share the costs with. Well, enough whining, I have to be in Chicago tonight and I am NOT going to miss the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, Indiana! Sorry Jim for being so late, you live in the wrong part of town...well...maybe not...I spent one night in a motel in Gary, Indiana many years ago...no offense if someone here lives there but I don't have much desire to go back...anyways, I had less than an hour at the museum and that is a bit hectic even for me! Again another place were there is a lot to see and learn from the various photo displays on the walls and the whole thing is extremely well put together. Studebaker was a diversified industrial giant that once also owned such famous names as STP, Paxton and Onan. I did also get a fast guidance to the remaining Studebaker facilities nearby, much appreciated! I wasn't at all prepared for this area but on the other and there wasn't time to see too much either. Looks like I have to come back here too...

www.http://studebakermuseum.org/

An Avanti that made some fast runs at Bonneville;

A lineup of Studebakers at a drive in, a South Bend landmark is seen in the background;

In the basement a lot of cool cars including factory prototypes are stacked on two levels;

I guess it is not widely known that the Humvees and Hummers are actually a part of the Jeep legacy with a fascinating history of companies merging over the years. AM General used to be owned by American Motors, read the history here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AM_General
http://www.amgeneral.com/

Just beside the museum is this magnificent structure, the original Studebaker Mansion, now a fine restaurant. Take the tour on their website;

http://www.tippe.com/

Sadly some of the old factory buildings were being demolished during my visit. I was too much in a hurry to pursue my brick fetish, anyone in South Bend wanna send me one?

Luckily some of the other facilities are still in use and in pretty nice shape. If I would have unlimited funds I'd buy this place, have my cars on the first floor and live on the second. Nirvana.

I can already see the Short Ram 413 equipped 1961 Dodge roll out of this door with open headers echoing in the night...

Although the new museum is beautiful I would have preferred that the whole thing would have been located in old corporate facilities instead. In fact, the collection used to be in this old administration building at one time, it is still in very good shape and only a couple of blocks from the museum. The above factory building is in the background;

OK, let's keep flying low, Chicago, here we come!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/19/11 01:22 PM

I did get to Chicago really late and Jim hadn't slept in a good while so he wasn't too happy about us having to go for a major drive still that night to change trucks. He did what had to be done though, I do appreciate it! I needed to get to Tennessee fast in order to have time for my other plans for the coming weekend...but there was some more logistics that needed to be sorted out. US Nationals was approaching and Jim needed to get his 1969 Dodge there...and the NHRA Safety Safari car. How would that work out? Well, let's just say that if a guy from a faraway land would transport the Safety Safari car to Indy he'd have memories for a lifetime! The pic is taken at the Z-Alt Musclecar Oil Distributon Center, try their stuff;

www.z-alt.com

Tennessee, here we come;

I know a guy who is a big time farmer (by our standards, I guess 3000 acres is a hobby farm in the US) back home and since he is born in 1967 he has been thinking a long time about getting a C-body from 1967. He works way too much, at least 100 hours every week and has never had a holiday so I thought it might be good to get him something to balance that off...hopefully he doesn't take that hobby time away from sleeping hours though? The 1967 300 wasn't perfect but with a bit of work it will be a nice summer cruiser and it is loaded with options starting with the 440TNT engine. This car did cost almost the same as three base Valiants back in the day. It still had the original window sticker and was always a local car;

The one thing that got me into trouble was that the guy selling the 300 also had a 1967 New Yorker 2dHT for next to nothing. His dad who used to own the cars, had passed away and this project was never completed. Of the 67-68 Chryslers the 67 NY has always been my favorite and since the only offer had been from a derby guy I simply had to drag it home so it would be saved. What can I say, I'm a sick sick man.

Drive that old Chrysler to Mexico, boy! Well, not quite but I was headed to Houston, Texas which is good for a ZZ Top fan too;

If you ever get to Houston with a trailer, don't be lazy and tired like me and rely on the GPS. First time around I used the Sam Houston Tollway and just to get to the other side of Houston was $20!!

Since I am a trucker I wanted to see The Great American Trucking Show in Dallas the next day. I was so tired that I just took off the Interstate at a Super 8 a bit south from city center and later when I checked the area on the internet it had a lot of vehicle break-ins in the motel parking lot and was not recomended. Well, I was lucky and nothing happened. The trucking show was amazing and one can only imagine what it takes to detail these besats to this degree;

Gotta dig those twin stick transmissions!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-ffkS37miQ

Lots of cool stuff here including this Bonneville Studebaker familiar from many major magazines;

Being again an old school guy this 3 million mile Kenworth was my favorite;

Lots of cool trucks humming away in the parking lot (with courtesy buses running non stop to the show) in the 104 degree heat;

The best part of the day is still ahead though including a really historic finding from Chrysler's racing days in the 60:s!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/19/11 03:10 PM

After the truck show I went to see Scott who runs the Sweptline website and forum. He is the man if you ever need parts for your 1961-71 Dodge truck. He also lives like he teaches, the D200 crew with D100 axles in the foreground is what he tools around in!

http://www.sweptline.org/
http://www.sweptlineparts.com/

These trucks are so cool, I was drooling as there were a lot of hard to find parts here;

I had a plan for the evening and Scott was not the man to say no. There had been rumours for a long time that the short wheelbase (and wilder) version of the Max Wedge D100 The Dragmaster company built and San Diego Radio personality Dick Boynton raced in the early 60:s, would be somewhere in Texas. Recently a guy had been posting about such a truck on the Sweptline Forum but there were no pics. I had been nuts about these trucks for 30 years and gathered a bunch of info on them as well as having been gathering parts for a replica of the first, longbed, version. So, it is investigation time! We really didn't know what to expect although we gathered that the truck would be somewhat dismantled. Here's a few historical pics of the SWB one from back in the day;

Read more about these and Dragmasters here, scroll down;

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247089&page=85
and here, although the 1967 book gives you the impression that there was only one truck which is wrong;
http://www.sweptline.com/hist/spectrucks.html
http://www.sweptline.com/hist/rtest3.html

Gotta love the "Cowboy-rake" which was so typical for the early 60:s!

This is the longbed version but a very cool Chrysler video;

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IUfNoR7LkI

We were really wound up when we got to right place, would this really be it?? And yes, it was!! How often do you stumble on a real deal B/FX truck?? It is really sad that the truck has been dismantled by apparently someone who didn't have a clue what they were doing (it wasn't the owner) but even so, this was the real deal, no doubt about it! It was all in pieces and the frame had been blasted, luckily the body was not. Doing a bit of washing we found the old lettering still intact (doesn't show too good in this pic)!

The bed with it's special air scoop just beside the cab was further evidence. It looks like the truck simply had the lettering painted over, that was all. You can still see the stripes on the cab roof! I was also wondering about the fact that one member on Moparts remembered this truck being red? Maybe it was when it was last raced, at least the lower part along with the stripes. Both of these trucks changed the lettering and such several times!

The frame was blasted but it clearly showed all the modifications still including the tow tabs...the towbar and the specially made fiberglass hood were gone though...they were stored in an airplane and forgotten in it when it was sold?!! How's that for an unlikely story!?

I have my suspicions that these trucks were actually owned by Chrysler and the high class fiberglass work would support that. How about that slightly broken grille, it is fiberglass too!! Why even bother? And those inner fenders are not broken, they are of fiberglass and made like that for fenderwell headers! The front fenders, radiator support and bumper complete the beautifully made package.

Being my weird self I had to make this shot. After 30 years of looking I am holding the very same door handle Dick Boynton used when going racing in this beast!

Quite an evening! Although there were some unfortunate steps in taking this truck apart there is no doubt that the current owner did the Chrysler community a great favor by hanging on to it for a very long time! We can only hope that a true Chrysler lover will take the time and money to do this truck right at some point. We already made some arrangements with Scott to that direction but it seems uncertain if the current owner will let it go for a reasonable price. Maybe he gets it restored, I don't know? I only hope that there will be high caliber Chrysler experts around when it happens.

I thank Scott for a great time and head towards Houston again, time for one hour of sleep at the motel as it got a bit late again and I had to leave the rig pretty much in the middle of the parking lot, lol. I had bought a 1967 D200 crew Sweptline longbed from Scott a long time ago and had to haul it to the shipper. I actually wanted to get a 1962-64 W200 Power Wagon Sweptline Crew longbed but it being a factory streched special order vehicle I had pretty much given up hope. But as it turns out, there is one out there...don't fail me now Jim!!

BTW, if somebody has an extra set of those huge optional west coast truck mirrors let me know!! From Houston I'm heading to one of Jims stashes in Indiana. Gotta give the man a hand, his friends disappear when the hard work starts

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/19/11 11:03 PM

Driving through the night again (great way of saving in motel room fees is to sleep every other night only ) I arrived so much before Jim that I had time for a one-hour nap at a gas station. Sleeping sitting up is also easier when it comes to waking up. I need a blown Hemi to roar in my ear anyway to wake up so you gotta think ahead One thing in this hobby seems to be the same wherever you are. If you like to collect a lot of this stuff (and I mean a lot) you are bound to have it moved way more than you would like. If I wouldn't be a truckdriver and have access to even big rigs for free I would have collapsed not only physically but also financially in these ordeals. Luckily we only did a small project with Jim, we filled an enclosed trailer with parts and also loaded up a Dart convertible and the totally cool big block crew cab dually for a trip towards the Chicago suburbs. Piece of cake! I really don't mind the work, it is always neat to look at all the cool stuff! And Jim has a lot of it at this location too!

Back in Chicago we went to look at the newly opened MrNorms facility in Rockford. So cool that the building got a new chance and even Chrysler products in it again!

http://www.mrnormsgarage.com/

Here's a look at a 900hp beast that has a Dana conversion, thought it might be of interest;

If you buy a GOOD air conditioning unit you don't have to use your hard earned cash for another new one every year. Yup, that's a Chrysler made Airtemp unit!

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/airtemp.php

Some priceless shots from Mr Strandquists album (thank you Sir!), including this fantastic shot of Sox & Martin doing the Plymouth Super Car Clinics in the same spot as the modern Cuda Sox & Martin tribute car is!!!

My God, I have walked here...53 years too late...drool..drool...drool.. Look at that fantastic brand spanking new 1957 DeSoto Adventurer!! Talk about a rare car...

An awesome shot of 1962 Plymouth Patrollers for the Rockford Police I assume? As it happens, I did take a pic of their Crown Vics..a bit worried about what is coming next?

Mr Strandquist got the first one off the line at the nearby Belvidere plant...

Beep beep! Look at the Fury in the back...

More work, there was a Hot Rod Magazine photoshoot scheduled and we took two cars to the dragstrip for it;

A lot of whining on the way about the new Ford...I was amazed how bad of a product it is compared to the Dodges and Chevys..nothing seemed to be as it should. But then again, I think Ford has always made a lot of cheap feeling products in general.

A pro at work...I hope it is OK to post this pic...in case some of you wonder, I have been trying to ask everybody permission to post their stuff and what is OK to tell. I don't want to use anyones trust in the wrong way.

Evening is here but we had time to stop at this old Chrysler dealership which was pretty cool but way overpriced;

Luedtke Auto Group has been discussed here before so no need for that now;

Not many drive-in theaters left but here is one;

Coming up; a new day and new adventures

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/19/11 11:48 PM

Quote:

But then again, I think Ford has always made a lot of cheap feeling products in general.

...I agree, and I will have to show this to my brother, who is a design engineer at Ford.
My husband works for Chrysler so there is some friendly family rivalry that goes on.

Awesome pics once again!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/20/11 12:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

But then again, I think Ford has always made a lot of cheap feeling products in general.

...I agree, and I will have to show this to my brother, who is a design engineer at Ford.
My husband works for Chrysler so there is some friendly family rivalry that goes on.

Awesome pics once again!

LOL, that should get some conversation going! Thanks again for the positive feedback!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/20/11 02:07 PM

Jim had agreed to transport a cool Dodge 4x4 to a buyer and the guy who sold it had lots of goodies in his garage. If you wonder where this is going;

This is the answer;

In the early 80:s when I was in highschool there was a book wholesale company next door to my school. Used to go there often with a friend of mine to check out the new automotive titles in general. I had already become a Forward Look fan and bought my first MoPar at the age of 15, a four door 65 Dart. This was the age before the internet so besides going to the yearly American Car Show in the capitol, the Hot Rod Show in Stockholm, Sweden, a few drag races every year the only sources of info were the car magazines at the newsstands. Since 1980 I bought every single of them that featured old American cars. Car Craft, Hot Rod, PHR and 3-4 Swedish and Finnish ones. Soon a lot more were added via subscriptions. But I never got much of info about the car that started to haunt me after seeing it at that book wholesaler in the early 80:s. It was a photo of the Ramchargers 1961 Dodge Dart Pioneer 2dHT with a 413 Short Ram and a three speed stick. Here is that very photo;

I know, many consider this car unattractive and odd, even some Ramcharger members had those thoughts back in the day. But to me that car was the king of cool and I knew that one day I would find out more about it and hopefully even recreate it if possible. Every now and then I found small tidbits of the car but somehow it never got much ink anywhere. The only place I have found as a major source of info is Ramcharger member Dave Rockwells book "We Were the Ramchargers". If anyone has an interior photo of this car I would love to have it! I'd especially want to see the shifter and tach...and hopefully the color of the interior. All photos are welcome in general even if I have many of the more common ones that are floating around. Anyway, I had been searching for a 61 Pioneer on and off for more than two decades but they are not easy to find. I have found a few but they have either been sold or then I have never received answers to my enquirys. Well, some time ago on eBay one appeared. The pics were really poor and the car was in Wisconsin so I had my suspicions. The seller claimed that it didn't have much undercarriage rust. I was pretty certain that wasn't true and I was right as it turned out. But it was the correct bodystyle and it was very cheap. That suits me because I didn't have the money anyways, had to use my American Express card and figure about paying when the bill arrives. Lol. So here is one of my dreams reaching the first step;

Here is one more from back in the day. If this car wouldn't have been so successful in what Dave Rockwell describes "as the most important drag race in Chrysler history" I wonder if all the high performance stuff would have taken off like it did?

OK, I was off to Texas again. But there was one super treat on the way! In a secret location and owned by a fellow that prefers to stay anonymus I got high on C-bodys. Amazing! Spectacular! Don't know what to say except that this dude has class! Thanks again for letting me see it all!

If you love C-bodys shouldn't they get the room with the best view???

Took this pic down by owners request as it might identify him...there are too many crooks out there...sorry Sir! You are my hero!

A big block Fire Chief wagon;

Minnesota State Trooper 61 Plymouth with a big block;

Nebraska State Patrol 2 door Fury, HP383 I think?

This one was familiar to me from many years back. In fact, I had tried to buy it from a wrecking yard in Montana several times but never got answers to my mails. Even talked to an officer in California who had bought the Polara Highway Patrol car right beside it. It is a complete Montana Highway Patrol 440 car and though it used to have a Challenger stacked on top the roof did not suffer much. Glad it got to a good home!;

There's an endless supply of goodies here...

Next stop US Nationals in Indy via Texas!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/21/11 12:58 AM

My original plan was to drive to the west coast on the last week (instead of going to Texas now) but time and money was in short supply already and if something would come up on that last leg I might miss my flight. Besides, Jim promised to take care of some of that west coast stuff for me and he really wanted me to see the US Nationals. I have to admit that I really don't follow current drag racing, the nostalgia stuff is more my thing. But this was the US Nationals and it might be a good idea to see it at least once in a lifetime. Besides, there is a lot to see besides racing, many interesting cars on display, the cool motorhomes and race rigs that are out of this world for a European, all the vendors and the whole huge event in general. So, I made the sensible descision and headed to Indianapolis from Texas. Besides, this way Jim would get his two car trailer where he needs it

Jim had already set everthing up a couple of days ago so all I had to do was grab a cold one and check out the circus

This Willys gasser with a blown Hemi was one of the absolute highlights. It was really more of a jewel than a car. Fantastic!

http://www.mydigitalpublication.com/display_article.php?id=232810

Got even to meet Shirley Muldowney, how cool is that?;

John Force had more than 10 big rigs present...

Here's a couple for the 4 door Hemi discussion

http://www.logghestamping.com/about.htm

No, this isn't a Max Wedge, it's one of those rare inline 2x4 343 horse 383:s;

Why is this guy smiling? Well, another hard day at the office is over. Today we had to tow some old dudes railjob hundreds of yards in front of screaming masses and give the "queen wave" to boot. Well, the queen wave was optional but Jim isn't afraid of working hard so he takes everything to the limit

Yes, we actually watched some racing too;

Nothing like relaxing in a luxurious American toterhome after a busy day...and watching THE movie. How appropriate. This is the last night before flying home from Chicago tomorrow. But wait, this ain't over yet...

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/21/11 01:38 AM

Ahhh the memories of my old job, I did have some fun and glad I talked you into seeing the U.S. Nationals. Thanks again for hanging out with me and sharing the good times!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/21/11 01:49 AM

Ooooo, you met Shirley...lucky you. I know many people don't like her but I do, plus she still holds the record for fastest pass at Milan Dragway (my home track.)

Rhino...that job of yours looked really cool.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/21/11 02:38 AM

It was, but too much work for the pitance I was paid. Shirley came in and did her makeup in the toter and I talked with her for awhile. At first I didn't recognize her because of the short blonde hair. She was very gracious and her assistant (the big guy driving the golf cart) is a Mopar guy!
Posted By: CYACOP

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/21/11 03:08 AM

Absolutely the best post I have seen on this site.
Thanks for putting this together.
Posted By: Wagonmaster

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/21/11 03:29 AM

Jim, you truly have a tough life. Imagine having to drive the "toter" [I thought it drove very nicely, personally], "having" to entertain Shirley in said toter and the toughest part of it must have been towing Don around in that old Dodge truck of yours. Glad you got to have a fun circuit.

Your newfound disciple will be catching his breath for quite some time. I remember that, too.
Posted By: wanna72rr

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/21/11 03:35 AM

BEST POST ON MOPARTS EVER!!!!
Thanks for sharing! Amazing tour!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/21/11 04:28 AM

Quote:

Jim, you truly have a tough life. Imagine having to drive the "toter" [I thought it drove very nicely, personally], "having" to entertain Shirley in said toter and the toughest part of it must have been towing Don around in that old Dodge truck of yours. Glad you got to have a fun circuit.

Your newfound disciple will be catching his breath for quite some time. I remember that, too.

Perry, we had fun, huh? I enjoyed being able to take new found friends around with me on my adventures, that is definitely one of the things I will miss most about not working there anymore. It was real fun helping Hans out on his adventures too, I wish I could have been with him throughout his journey and hope he can return here soon for more! I did teach him some good ol' American slang that he will never forget. That's funny right there, I don't care who you are...
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/21/11 04:31 AM

Amazing pictures and stories!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/21/11 05:58 PM

Quote:

It was real fun helping Hans out on his adventures too, I wish I could have been with him throughout his journey and hope he can return here soon for more! I did teach him some good ol' American slang that he will never forget. That's funny right there, I don't care who you are...

Hey Jim, I put that there to check if you actually read the posts I'll be back as soon as I can afford it! Then we'll hit the yards too! Thanks again everybody for the kind words! I just wonder if I should have put a different heading on this thread as it hasn't gotten more views? I assume that many of the views counted are by repeated visits as this has been several days in the making? In any case, the last pics are coming up shortly

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/21/11 07:31 PM

I had to get to Chicago from Indy as my flight departed from the Windy City. It wasn't a problem though as one of the Z-Alt Muscle Car Oil head honchos promised to take me! Much appreciated again! It was a pity that I didn't get to see much of Chicago as I would have liked that. A ton to see there! My uncle was a Korean War veteran and used to be a police officer in Morton Grove (Chicago suburb) back in the 50:s and 60:s. It would have been cool to have seen his old neighborhoods. One stop I wanted to make but didn't have time for, was the "Hill Street Blues" police station, loved that tv-show. One day I'll park a C-body in front of that garage door!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKVSVjbGcFM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7th_District_Police_Station

But all was not lost! Instead of being sensible and head straight towards the airport true gearheads set the GPS for 3300 W. Grand Avenue! It is at the corner of Spaulding...

Well, this is definitely Lower Wacker Drive. If my estimations are correct, we should be very close to the Honorable Richard J. Daley Plaza.

Are we there yet? Are we there yet???

Yes, we are!!

http://www.mrnorms.com/
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro9Q0w66Ic0

This makes the hair on your hands stand up...nothing much has changed in decades...first pic is from Fall 1969...

This was a huge operation on both sides of Grand;

Don't know what the deal with the walking bricks is but I got this one saved before it got run over by someone

From MrNorms ad in 1969; "What does 69 mean to you? To us it means DODGE FEVER hotter than ever! 300 High Performance 69 Dodges in stock. Pick your model. Pick your color. Pick your equipment. Pick it out - drive it out." Can you imagine this parking lot 42 years ago??

The showroom in 1966;

Mr Norm had his office on the second floor;

Less than two hours before departure and we drive past the Radio Flyer factory. Next time I'll buy one or two of those...slightly smaller but Made in Chicago!

http://www.radioflyer.com/

That was all, I hope you guys enjoyed it all! I sure did and I want to say thank you to everybody who made my trip an awesome experience. It was impossible to mention all of you here but that doesn't mean you are forgotten! Thank you again! I didn't see everything I planned but I was sure even before I left that it would have been too much. There will be new adventures ahead and also new friends I have to get to meet again, maybe I will see the rest at that time as well as a lot of new places. As the late Gipper said; All in all, not bad -- not bad at all.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/22/11 11:08 PM

Quote:

That looks like one hell of a good time.

Jim actually let you drive the cars and helped ya out?...lol

Should see the dealership now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/sets/72157627533541538/

Hey Ryan, as you might have seen already I actually was lucky enough to see it...not to mention the fantastic Strandquist album! Also wanted to say that your photos and stories are among the best stuff on Moparts, always enjoy reading about your adventures! Would love to join one of those excursions some day!
Posted By: rapom

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/23/11 12:20 AM

Looks like you really made the most out of your trip. You saw more than I have ever seen in my entire life. You even got a picture of me twice at the Donut Cutter. I was the one with the green 68 charger. Wish I would have had a chance to talk to you.

Glad you had a great time and sorry about your mom.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/23/11 04:48 PM

Great trip you had. Thanks for sharing. Now I need to go back and read all the links you posted. You should sell your story and pictures to a magazine.
Posted By: Ruppman

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/23/11 05:33 PM

yeah, the links are fantastic, enjoyed it all!

mark
Posted By: ChryCoGuy

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/23/11 10:43 PM

Quote:

My thoughts exactly!
Posted By: GetAwayDriver

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/24/11 01:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

My thoughts exactly!

Couldn't agree more, and not just because I'm in some of the pictures!

I didn't even have time to let the third page load, I'll have to come back and do that later (I'm supposed to be driving someplace right now in the 2011 Challenger I bought soon after we met!) Thank you so much for posting the pictures and the stories.

Believe it or not, you were the subject of conversations at just about every Chrysler factory in the US & Canada about a month after your plant tour... Like I mentioned to you, I wrote a story for the Warren Stamping Plant paper about your visit, which was later seen by our corporate communications department. They liked the story and invited me up to the HQ to do a "virtual meeting" that linked up to all the Chrysler plants (part of a usual monthly meeting).

I've always been proud of my city, and the place that I work. But your kind words and photos will have me standing just a bit taller today! You can bet this thread is going to get circulated!

You and I talked some serious politics when we weren't staring at cars, and as I said... You have a better understanding and appreciation of the way America is supposed to work than most Americans I know! This place would be a lot better off with more "Hans'"! On that note, have you ever considered picking up a cheap condo in a warm-weather US state for your retirement? Phoenix is no Detroit when it comes to cars, but there is plenty to keep busy with! Not suggesting you leave Finland anymore than I plan to leave Michigan, just a place to escape the hard winter months.

No need to apologize for buying a car because you couldn't bear to see it scrapped... I just did the same thing with this '69 Imperial which I needed like a hole in the head (see driveway), but it kills me that somebody was going to derby this 43-year-old beauty!

(Ignore the Zombie makeup... I posed with the back-from-dead car while I was dressed as a Zombie for Halloween)

I definitely want to see more of Europe, and would love to go during that huge Power Meet in Sweden. Of course, you'll probably get back to Detroit before I make it there, but either way we'll connect.

Again, thanks for the awesome post and links!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/24/11 01:44 AM

Quote:

You have a better understanding and appreciation of the way America is supposed to work than most Americans I know!

I've thought that just by reading his posts on here.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/24/11 02:15 AM

I had a few long talks with Hans, he definitely is more American than "most" Americans! Good thing we can't talk politics on Moparts or we might just learn a thing or two from him! Between me helping a member in Switzerland and now Finland it makes me want to head over there soon (so I can appreciate the United States more)

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/24/11 08:07 AM

Quote:

Looks like you really made the most out of your trip. You saw more than I have ever seen in my entire life. You even got a picture of me twice at the Donut Cutter. I was the one with the green 68 charger. Wish I would have had a chance to talk to you.

Glad you had a great time and sorry about your mom.

Thank you! You know, when a European car geek gets to the US one usually tries to make the most of it. I live a pretty Spartan life back home, everything is so costly due to high taxes that it takes a toll on everything including peoples enthusiasm. Most people I am in touch with are car people as they try to escape the harsh realities into another dimension. Often on my trips people in the US have the idea that Europeans are wealthy because they do this sort of thing. In most cases this is pretty far from the truth. A lot of us just love America, American cars etc to the degree that cost doesn't matter, if it is doable in some way, go for it! I was waiting for the Tulsa Plymouth unearthening for 25 years or so, it didn't really matter if I could do it or not. I HAD to be there. There was a fellow from NZ that said that he might lose his house over it, another said that he didn't care if he'd lose his job due to the trip. At the same time there were people on the other side of Tulsa who thought that it looked rainy, I'll probably not go. Lol. It's all about preferences I guess. I'm not saying that I'm doing the right descisions, they just feel right to me. I owe Chrysler Corporation a lot, without the engineering and design from Highland Park and Auburn Hills I do not know what I would do and where I would get my kicks from. I'm a Chrysler Man and it makes me happy.

I am sorry if I offended people by just pretty much running through the Donut Cutter but it was really my choice. I didn't really know anyone (or most of the cars, lol) there and I was afraid that if I'd start talking I'd never be out of there. It was hard though, many interesting rides present (nice Charger! ), especially the Cornfed Duster, a very mean ride, something that could have been parked outside Jimmy Addison's back in the day! It might not seem like it but this trip was a lot about compromises and this was one of them. Certainly hope to spend more time at the Donut Cutter the next time!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/24/11 08:16 AM

Quote:

Great trip you had. Thanks for sharing. Now I need to go back and read all the links you posted. You should sell your story and pictures to a magazine.

Thank you again, I really think that the links give a lot more to this thread even if it is a lot of reading! Actually, I was going to email a couple of magazines on this side of the pond to make maybe a story on Warren Truck or Woodward etc...it is hard to do a story on the whole trip I think, the pics would be too small and hard to get even a small percentage what is in this thread, in. And even this thread is a compromise, lol. Spent probably 100 hours doing it with my slow laptop and sometimes painfully slow internet connection. But I still think I left too much cool stuff out.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/24/11 09:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My thoughts exactly!

Couldn't agree more, and not just because I'm in some of the pictures!

I didn't even have time to let the third page load, I'll have to come back and do that later (I'm supposed to be driving someplace right now in the 2011 Challenger I bought soon after we met!) Thank you so much for posting the pictures and the stories.

Believe it or not, you were the subject of conversations at just about every Chrysler factory in the US & Canada about a month after your plant tour... Like I mentioned to you, I wrote a story for the Warren Stamping Plant paper about your visit, which was later seen by our corporate communications department. They liked the story and invited me up to the HQ to do a "virtual meeting" that linked up to all the Chrysler plants (part of a usual monthly meeting).

I've always been proud of my city, and the place that I work. But your kind words and photos will have me standing just a bit taller today! You can bet this thread is going to get circulated!

You and I talked some serious politics when we weren't staring at cars, and as I said... You have a better understanding and appreciation of the way America is supposed to work than most Americans I know! This place would be a lot better off with more "Hans'"! On that note, have you ever considered picking up a cheap condo in a warm-weather US state for your retirement? Phoenix is no Detroit when it comes to cars, but there is plenty to keep busy with! Not suggesting you leave Finland anymore than I plan to leave Michigan, just a place to escape the hard winter months.

No need to apologize for buying a car because you couldn't bear to see it scrapped... I just did the same thing with this '69 Imperial which I needed like a hole in the head (see driveway), but it kills me that somebody was going to derby this 43-year-old beauty!

I definitely want to see more of Europe, and would love to go during that huge Power Meet in Sweden. Of course, you'll probably get back to Detroit before I make it there, but either way we'll connect.

Again, thanks for the awesome post and links!

Wow...I don't know what to say. I am certainly happy and honored about the publicity! I just sent my thank you note to the Warren Truck Plant manager for the hospitality I received, before reading this! I also sent him the link to this thread. Awesome stuff!

Most people at Chrysler probably don't have a clue about the fact that their products would sell in totally different numbers if there wouldn't be huge one-way trade barriers. The German car market is considered to be one of the cheapest in Europe and look what happens with the pricing when a Jeep or a Chrysler 300 hits Europe. Not to mention that there are far more worse examples with Finland being a horror story. Here a new half ton Ram is about $100K...if you ever get it through inspection.

http://www.fairimage.org/compare.htm

I would certainly love to spend a part of the year in the US if I ever could finance it. I am in the extremely slow process of moving to Sweden, much due to the high taxation on cars in Finland and the huge base of American car enthusiasts and thus, events, in Sweden. I was hoping to move to the US for quite awhile but with my 40 cars (most are carefully planned buys over 2 decades) and a couple of big rigs worth of stuff its not too realistic anymore. Are you planning a car enthusiast community in Phoenix? Actually, I have always wondered why a bunch of collectors and enthusiasts in the US haven't pooled their resources and made a small town (not necessarily that small for long) timemachine where one could escape all the "environmentalists" and other control freaks...I'm not against clean air, I'm against people disguising other issues in the environment smoke screen.

I have to say that my time in Detroit has been some of the best in my life, not least because of the many inside industry views I got! I certainly hope to meet you again soon! And man, that 69 Imperial would be just the right ticket for my next tour...we are prisoners of our past and I wanted a black 69-71 New Yorker as the sights of those was what I grew up with. Only 1-2 new Imperials per year usually sold here...but it is what I think an American car should be. Power, comfort and styling second to none! And that was going to get derbied?? Glad you saved it, looks stylish in your driveway!

I do think that you should get over here at some point, it will get a new perspective on things for sure! I am looking forward to that day! Thank you again for everything! And yeah, have fun with the new Challenger, one of those would be beside my new Ram if I'd live over there!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/24/11 09:11 AM

Quote:

I had a few long talks with Hans, he definitely is more American than "most" Americans! Good thing we can't talk politics on Moparts or we might just learn a thing or two from him! Between me helping a member in Switzerland and now Finland it makes me want to head over there soon (so I can appreciate the United States more)

I think the last sentence sums it up pretty well! But there are cool things to see here if you come during the summer!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/24/11 02:59 PM

Quote:

Certainly hope to spend more time at the Donut Cutter the next time!

Please do! I would love to meet you...and of course I owe you that ride in my 4-speed Dart. heheh...

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/24/11 03:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Certainly hope to spend more time at the Donut Cutter the next time!

Please do! I would love to meet you...and of course I owe you that ride in my 4-speed Dart. heheh...

You're on! Promise to chirp the tires in second? And there is in fact a Duster in Detroit that I want to see so badly that if I had the money I'd fly over just to see it...

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/26/11 02:29 AM

Quote:

You're on! Promise to chirp the tires in second? And there is in fact a Duster in Detroit that I want to see so badly that if I had the money I'd fly over just to see it...

I can chirp them in all 4 gears... hehheh...

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/27/11 05:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I can chirp them in all 4 gears... hehheh...

Hey, I wasn't trying to talk you into any illegal activities ...but that sounds even better!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 11/27/11 06:02 PM

Quote:

I got a bit more critical looking at this thread when you said the above...so I have just added almost 200 pics to it with heavy Chrysler bias...mostly to the MoPar Nats, Detroit and Ypsilanti posts...will still add some to the WPC Museum post later as well.

I'm still a bit blown away by the attention my visit received in Auburn Hills, very cool!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! - 01/08/12 04:20 PM

Quote:

Not enough? How about the building where Creative Industries put together the Dodge Charger Daytonas?;

http://www.aerowarriors.com/afct.html

There has been some discussion on Moparts about what one can take photos of etc...here's some interesting info regarding the Creative Industries building I received from another forum;

"Amazing tour. Great stuff; thanks for sharing.

Wow, you even found the Daytona building at 10 MIle and Brittany in East Detroit.

(Later Tocco's Mafia hangout)

Originally Posted by Forwardlook

Uhh...had no idea that the place used to be (I hope USED TO are the operative words here) a wise guy hang out...The Detroit Partnership? Care to share more, what was going down there?

Tocco owned the place in the later 70s and they would fill the parking lot with Cadillacs about once a month and have a meeting inside. Guys (including locals) were posted outside the doors making sure nobody came in and warning if the cops came (which they never did).

Wow, that must have been quite a sight...glad that is in the past, I bet a guy taking pics all over wouldn't have been very well received in those circles..."

You never know what you might be pointing your camera at when taking pics...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Partnership
© 2024 Moparts Forums