Moparts

430" small block build

Posted By: DJVCuda

430" small block build - 01/24/11 07:49 PM

I started gathering parts for my build -

The block is at the machine shop getting ready...
It's a late 70's X block that i've been hanging on to for several years.

After speaking with Rod Bloomer I decided to go with one of his BPE 4.125" cranks. I'm planning on updating this post when it gets to the machine shop as they can check for stroke, taper and out of round for me.

The crank I got with the X block was a BRC 3.75" stroke - with radius journals on the rods, but not on the mains, the BPE has full radius rod and main journals.

The old crank had more then 6 slugs in it along with some extra welds on the counterweight to balance it for rods and pistons I never got with the deal to I was always leary of the crank and what it would take to balance it correctly the next time.

After speaking with Rod and RyanJ they made the decision easy to go with the Compstar rods - 6.200 and the 2" journal makes them nice and light - they come in at 595 grams on my scale. A K-1 in the same size weighs around 627 grams!

I got the pistons from Rod on Saturday. BPE's stocking these now with a -17cc dish that will give me 10.25:1 with a fel pro .039 gasket and eddy head. I believe a flat top is also available but you can call Rod for more info. They weigh 468 grams on my scale.

So it looks like I have a nice light assembly that should utilize that X block I have laying around. If there is interest I'll keep the updates coming.
Posted By: Get-X

Re: 430" small block build - 01/24/11 08:13 PM

I don't even like small blocks and I'm interested All kidding aside, please keep us updated, looks like a real nice bullet in the making
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: 430" small block build - 01/24/11 08:19 PM

Please keep us updated.I am looking forward to your results.
Keith
Posted By: HEMIDARTS

Re: 430" small block build - 01/24/11 08:20 PM

Posted By: JSR1485

Re: 430" small block build - 01/24/11 08:20 PM

Very Interested -looking to build a new engine for my Duster , just not sure which way I am going yet. Who do you have doing all the machine work? and Assembly?

Re: 430" small block build - 01/24/11 08:31 PM

http://www.fonseperformance.com/

Fonse Performance in Erial NJ is doing all the machine work.

Al Fonse Jr has helped me with dyno'ing my EFI setup.
Posted By: ademon

Re: 430" small block build - 01/24/11 08:31 PM

Quote:

I don't even like small blocks and I'm interested All kidding aside, please keep us updated, looks like a real nice bullet in the making

Then you wont like BPE new 4.25" crank for a 440" + SB

Attached picture 6436107-68RR3834-speed(43)(640x480).jpg
Posted By: emarine01

Re: 430" small block build - 01/24/11 08:39 PM

what do the pistons weigh?

Re: 430" small block build - 01/24/11 08:43 PM

468 grams on my scale bare
the rods are 595
Posted By: Get-X

Re: 430" small block build - 01/24/11 08:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Then you wont like BPE new 4.25" crank for a 440" + SB

I saw that baby in the new products section! That's an incredible deal on that crank. Hats off to BPE for really coming thru with a nice crank at a awesome price. Almost makes me want to build a smallie.....almost
Posted By: Somerdale Flash

Re: 430" small block build - 01/24/11 09:23 PM

Quote:

http://www.fonseperformance.com/

Fonse Performance in Erial NJ is doing all the machine work.

Al Fonse Jr has helped me with dyno'ing my EFI setup.

Al Jr. has been doing work for us for years.
Won't find nicer people to do business with.
Their work is second to none.

Walt Haas sr.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: 430" small block build - 01/24/11 09:49 PM

sounds like a great build, what heads are you going to use? keep us informed
Posted By: Jacob Pitt

Re: 430" small block build - 01/24/11 10:12 PM

These are my favorite threads! Keep it up!
Posted By: fed

Re: 430" small block build - 01/24/11 10:46 PM

Will a stock block handle the 4.25 crank in a low RPM torque engine?
Posted By: quick77rt

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 12:42 AM

Thats very nice Dave, I think your in for alot of fun.
Posted By: Dos Snails

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 12:59 AM

You know that 3.75 crank would fit nice inside my 9" deck... I'll take it off your hands for cheap.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 01:07 AM

Quote:

Will a stock block handle the 4.25 crank in a low RPM torque engine?

That's what I was wondering. VERY interested to watch this build. I'm also wondering if you have enough tire under that thing for this bullet!! Should be WAY FUN!!
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 01:11 AM

Sweet build Dave.....I was very impressed with the Compstar pieces in my 565" BBC....wish they would carry the Mopar line, but when asked they said "nothing planned in the see-able future"

Rickster
Posted By: fishy340

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 01:12 AM

awesome but what u gonna do about heads?
Posted By: Overdrive440

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 01:37 AM

This sounds like what I'd like to build.

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 02:20 AM

the heads will be a progression through Eddy heads. Ryan J will be working some magic on a set.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 02:25 AM

Quote:

Please keep us updated.I am looking forward to your results.
Keith

Looks like an awesome rotating assembly. Be interested to see how much block clearancing will be needed for that stroke.

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 02:29 AM

Quote:

the heads will be a progression through Eddy heads. Ryan J will be working some magic on a set.

will this be ready for the rental u guys do every year? and also best of luck with it

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 02:31 AM

Looks like an awesome rotating assembly. Be interested to see how much block clearancing will be needed for that stroke.

With the 2" journal - less then a 4" stroke with a stock mopar journal

Quote:

Quote:

will this be ready for the rental u guys do every year? and also best of luck with it

the motor better be - the car - not a chance...
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 02:31 AM

I hope that 4 bolt caps are in the plans

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 02:39 AM

Pro-Gram's will should be fitted in a few weeks.

Posted By: Devilbrad

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 03:02 AM

Nice Dave. This is pretty much my plan for this year. I have a 69 340 block, but I'd much rather find a tall deck 48 degree R3 block. Keep the pics and info coming.

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 03:40 AM

I bought a R block last year to build a Big Inch small block, but after talking to RyanJ on what I had. At this point I will be going with a stock block build. Since I have a 9.20" 59 degree 48 babbit cam tunnel block with a 3.990 hone finish bore.
What happened with that R3 block was Mopar line bored the cam tunnel in those 59* Siamese bore 9.20" R3's accidentally oversize to the 48 degree dimension.... the problem with that is no camshaft core ever existed for a 1.998" journal on all 5 cam journals AND 59 degree lobe spacing & bank angle. Basically what I'm telling you is there is no camshaft you can buy to install in your bock.
Posted By: BobsProFab

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 03:46 AM

nice build, Rods cranks are nice peices
Posted By: Scamp408

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 11:55 AM

Quote:

I bought a R block last year to build a Big Inch small block, but after talking to RyanJ on what I had. At this point I will be going with a stock block build. Since I have a 9.20" 59 degree 48 babbit cam tunnel block with a 3.990 hone finish bore.
What happened with that R3 block was Mopar line bored the cam tunnel in those 59* Siamese bore 9.20" R3's accidentally oversize to the 48 degree dimension.... the problem with that is no camshaft core ever existed for a 1.998" journal on all 5 cam journals AND 59 degree lobe spacing & bank angle. Basically what I'm telling you is there is no camshaft you can buy to install in your bock.

Where did you get that block? I think I saw that one .

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 01:11 PM

I bought it from a member on here.
Posted By: ThermoQuad

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 01:51 PM

Would you mind listing the cost of parts and labor??
Posted By: fasthawk6

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 02:44 PM

The only thing i dont like is that much stroke,after taking a buddys 445 sbf apart you can see the small end on the rod bushing was getting bet to death[you can see by eye how bad one side is wore ]to much side loading. he is going back to a 4 inch stroke

Attached picture 6437448-dart.jpg
Posted By: POS Dakota

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 02:54 PM

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 04:32 PM

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 04:38 PM

Quote:

The only thing i dont like is that much stroke,after taking a buddys 445 sbf apart you can see the small end on the rod bushing was getting bet to death[you can see by eye how bad one side is wore ]to much side loading. he is going back to a 4 inch stroke

What stroke and rod length was on this engine? Forced induction? More details please.

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 04:38 PM

Quote:

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 05:03 PM

Well so much for ford junk, thought this was about small block mopars.

Ive several strokers from 410s to a hair over 450 inches, have not noticed any rods issues on inspection and they often see over 7k.

More and more we will see the 4 plus stroke cranks as common as the 4 inchers.

40Ford can fill folks in on what an X block will take or just read some of his postings, its pretty clear you can knock the sides out of anything if you try hard enough.

But other then some cast crank posts I dont see many small blocks, oem or afterm, X R with there guts spit out as we do so many stock block BB motors.

Dont see how a small block ford plays into this, the small block stroker has proven itself as a good solid combo. And im sure Dave knows the right people to get it done.

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 05:21 PM

Quote:

Ive several strokers from 410s to a hair over 450 inches, have not noticed any rods issues on inspection and they often see over 7k.

40Ford can fill folks in on what an X block will take or just read some of his postings, its pretty clear you can knock the sides out of anything if you try hard enough.

But other then some cast crank posts I dont see many small blocks, oem or afterm, X R with there guts spit out as we do so many stock block BB motors.

Dont see how a small block ford plays into this, the small block stroker has proven itself as a good solid combo. And im sure Dave knows the right people to get it done.

Ok, What about excessive bore wear? Piston life? Rings?
There are a few of us sitting on r blocks who would like to build a nice stout street/strip engine that will last a while with a 4.25 inch stroke or maybe larger...without having to be torn down every winter. Daily driver duty...

But until now, it's very hard to get any kind of take on what the life expectancy would be in general compared to say a simple 4 incher.

It's hard to make a decision without getting the facts.
I know these things vary greatly, but is there any kind of general rule of thumb here? What to expect?

Insight?

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 06:52 PM

as far as the ford junk comment there is nothing in it thats ford , dart block callies crank gas ported pistons and so on. car went 9.50s na and 5.70s on spray. i think it had a 4.100 stroke and a 4.155 bore
i think.6.200 on rod length.

Attached picture 6437777-dart.jpg

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 07:06 PM

Quote:

All i did was put out a comment on a similar combo that i have personal seen. i also have two 4 inch motors right now but have not been together long engough or torn down to see what things look like.i dont think i will ever go bigger than a 4 inch stroke.

Attached picture 6437805-dart.jpg

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 07:12 PM

Quote:

as far as the ford junk comment there is nothing in it thats ford , dart block callies crank gas ported pistons and so on. car went 9.50s na and 5.70s on spray. i think it had a 4.100 stroke and a 4.155 bore

How much spray and does anyone think that could be a contributor to the condition?

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 07:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

How much spray and does anyone think that could be a contributor to the condition?

Good question.

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 07:19 PM

What NOS damage anything???? Really ya think?

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 07:36 PM

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 07:41 PM

Quote:

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 07:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

150 shot,plus all the rod and mains looked good.

Attached picture 6437901-dart.jpg
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 08:12 PM

4+ inch stuff I typically won't spray or boost, side loading increases with cylinder pressure regardless of stroke or rod ratio so (obviously IMO) if you have long stroke short rod combo it's a little harder on the block with your normal cylinder pressure.

I like the 4+ inch motors when I'm looking for a true Big block 'behind the wheel' experience and where you run good (but not necessarliy "great") heads that limit the RPM (and more importantly piston speed) to a moderate (5800-6200 ish) range.

If you're boosting or spraying, I keep the stroke shorter and the rods longer, if I'm looking for a dual/purpose motor with Longevity. That said the +4 stuff works very very well on the street when set up for the purposes I described above. Torque motors are sweet on the street! Imagine a blueprinted 440 six pack....but with an 1850G bobweight and 100+ less poundage on the nose

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 08:14 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kht95C3vO4

The great equilizer

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 08:20 PM

Quote:

4+ inch stuff I typically won't spray or boost, side loading increases with cylinder pressure regardless of stroke or rod ratio so (obviously IMO) if you have long stroke short rod combo it's a little harder on the block with your normal cylinder pressure.

I like the 4+ inch motors when I'm looking for a true Big block 'behind the wheel' experience and where you run good (but not necessarliy "great") heads that limit the RPM (and more importantly piston speed) to a moderate (5800-6200 ish) range.

If you're boosting or spraying, I keep the stroke shorter and the rods longer, if I'm looking for a dual/purpose motor with Longevity. That said the +4 stuff works very very well on the street when set up for the purposes I described above. Torque motors are sweet on the street!

Question: What do you consider street longevity? At what point would you consider a freshen up on a long stroke NA small block Mopar? I think that's what a lot of people want to know with these new big stroke cranks out nowadays.

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 08:28 PM

Quote:

If you're boosting or spraying, I keep the stroke shorter and the rods longer, if I'm looking for a dual/purpose motor with Longevity. That said the +4 stuff works very very well on the street when set up for the purposes I described above. Torque motors are sweet on the street! Imagine a blueprinted 440 six pack....but with an 1850G bobweight and 100+ less poundage on the nose

Thats why you dont see mopars at headsup events, you have to be willing to run stuff hard.most mopar guys are happy with high 10 sec 4 inch motors. i have come to find that over 4 inch is hader on parts.my indy headed 408 dont even come alive till over 5500. also the lack of head choices out there for that many cubes.where iam my car is the slowest and it runs 126 1/4 mph and drive it all the time.

Attached picture 6437940-dart.jpg

Re: 430" small block build - 01/25/11 09:21 PM

Good useful info Streetwize.
Thank You.

Re: 430" small block build - 01/26/11 12:57 AM

Devilbrand,

The decision for a strokeer motor to me is where you're looking for broad mid range and a target horsepower, if you want say right around 500 hp with a sub 6000 rpm peak, it's very easy to achieve. The essence is you're using moderate piston speed through the mid range (where you're not over stressing the block) with a goal of not spinning it up to high (because you don't have to).

A 4.25 arm spinning 6000 rpm has the same piston speed and about the same airflow as a 340 spinning 7700 rpm. the way I build em with say 270-ish cfm heads Both can easily make over 500 hp....but which one would be a better 'real world' better driver? And which one gets to use up 500hp worth of head flow (or closest to it) more often in real dual purpose driving? Which one can pull away and roll-on in any gear at any throttle position?

strokers spinning way up high is like winding a car out past it's power peak, the motor still gains RPM....but it's out of the sweet spot....with a long stroke and the right cam the sweet spot is so broad you don't really have an urge to wind it up tight. BTW I consider durable to go at least 30-40K miles of whatever I want to throw at them, that's a lot of miles for a "toy" and they'll no doubt go further, but I'm gonna be bored by then and want to swap in something else by then.

Another key point, with 4+ " small block stroker torque motors I actually deliberately slightly undercam the motor so as the power naturally falls off right around 5800 or so, after torque peaks the VE (pumping efficiency and rpm gain per sec) naturally starts to fall off as well, so I kind of build-in my rev limiter so to speak.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: 430" small block build - 01/26/11 12:57 AM

Quote:

The great equilizer

THAT was a bang !

Re: 430" small block build - 01/26/11 01:02 AM

Quote:

Devilbrand,

The decision for a strokeer motor to me is where you're looking for broad mid range and a target horsepower, if you want say right around 500 hp with a sub 6000 rpm peak, it's very easy to achieve. The essence is you're using moderate piston speed through the mid range (where you're not over stressing the block) with a goal of not spinning it up to high (because you don't have to).

A 4.25 arm spinning 6000 rpm has the same piston speed and about the same airflow as a 340 spinning 7700 rpm. the way I build em with say 270-ish cfm heads Both can easily make over 500 hp....but which one would be a better 'real world' better driver? And which one gets to use up 500hp worth of head flow (or closest to it) more often in real dual purpose driving? Which one can pull away and roll-on in any gear at any throttle position?

strokers spinning way up high is like winding a car out past it's power peak, the motor still gains RPM....but it's out of the sweet spot....with a long stroke and the right cam the sweet spot is so broad you don't really have an urge to wind it up tight. BTW I consider durable to go at least 30-40K miles of whatever I want to throw at them, that's a lot of miles for a "toy" and they'll no doubt go further, but I'm gonna be bored by then and want to swap in something else by then.

Another key point, with 4+ " small block stroker torque motors I actually deliberately slightly undercam the motor so as the power naturally falls off right around 5800 or so, after torque peaks the VE (pumping efficiency and rpm gain per sec) naturally starts to fall off as well, so I kind of build-in my rev limiter so to speak.

Thank you for the detailed answer!

Re: 430" small block build - 01/26/11 01:46 AM

Bobby you have way more exp them me, and not to go to far off topic, but I see your reference to 30 40k miles, and I guess your talking a wide lobe sep cam and a semi long service life. Far from a race motor.

Using alot of dur 280-s and at 106 we are still pulling after 7k so why not use it if the heads support it, what is wrong with rpm if the heads/setup supports it and many are running there strokers past 7k.

Are you leaning more towards a 30-40k daily driven motor in that thinking vs somthing that gets tore down every couple years or when needed??? Another member here just tore his stroker apart after a year of abuse at 7k plus only to find no issues.

Im asking this trying to learn, not be a smartazz. I just dont understand why I want to shift at 6k when im still making power to 7k as many are doing? Is alot of it for longer life? Im just a bit confused, your talking 30-40k mile build in the race section.

Re: 430" small block build - 01/26/11 01:53 AM

Quote:

Bobby you have way more exp them me, and not to go to far off topic, but I see your reference to 30 40k miles, and I guess your talking a wide lobe sep cam and a semi long service life. Far from a race motor.

Using alot of dur 280-s and at 106 we are still pulling after 7k so why not use it if the heads support it, what is wrong with rpm if the heads/setup supports it and many are running there strokers past 7k.

Are you leaning more towards a 30-40k daily driven motor in that thinking vs somthing that gets tore down every couple years or when needed??? Another member here just tore his stroker apart after a year of abuse at 7k plus only to find no issues.

Im asking this trying to learn, not be a smartazz. I just dont understand why I want to shift at 6k when im still making power to 7k as many are doing? Is alot of it for longer life? Im just a bit confused, your talking 30-40k mile build in the race section.

with quick77, who's talking about 500hp street motors? you can't tell me large ci SB with good heads wont make more hp. and capeable of higher rpm

Re: 430" small block build - 01/26/11 02:33 AM

But to stay on track, any cam info on this motor Dave????

Seems like alot of nice parts for a big power build, can you share your thoughts on what you want the end result to be?

Re: 430" small block build - 01/26/11 02:38 AM

Quote:

The great equilizer

i dont think it was the 4" crank that went boom

Re: 430" small block build - 01/26/11 02:43 AM

Oh is it HIGH RPM Race only? (just picking!) But if racing was just about winding the Pee out of it, i guess we'd all be racing honda S2000's, I never equated a lack of rev cieling with a lack of track performance Plenty of stock eliminator cars don't rev all that high. But you're right Mark, if you've got the heads, go for it! A question was asked about how I defined durability..not meaning to go O/T, but I responded and I stand on my limiting the LONG (>4") stroke stuff mainly to mid rpm torque motors, but i'll build whatever a customer wants but I'll be up front with what I see as limitations.

I'll tell you what though, I met a really cool guy from south carolina while I was up at the Bristol Mopar show last fall. ronp was there and others, I'm sure they'll remember it.

416 in a 69 cuda fastback, automatic, 3.91 gears maybe? full exhaust. clicking off 7.50's in the 1/8th letting the trans shift itself at maybe 5000 rpm. This guy gets it and the car was deadly consistent for bracket racing. Embarrassing a lot of trailered open header cars too. Silver with the black 340 stripe...sweet ride and very impressive. He was racing, cutting pretty nice lights too, went several rounds in as I remember.

turning a big arm small bore small port (relatively) torque motor into a HP motor by spinning it up tighter ain't the way I'd do it but opinions vary, i'd rather build a 370-ish motor with whatever heads you would put on your 'big boy' and I'd just gear it deeper and wind it up tighter. High piston speeds and long strokes CAN wind up high but they're going to be less efficient hp/cube than a shorter stroke motor. Beyond peak torque your motors rate of acceleration (rpm gain per second) slows...in other words the friction losses start to act like a brake on the crank and the longer the stroke the bigger the brake. do a long stroke and short stroke comparison in any decent engine simulation software and you'll typically see (same heads, cam, cr, etc) that the frictional HP losses have a higher rate of rise per 100 rpm and it's more or less linear...the the higher you rev the steeper the rise of frictional loss.

If I want a 420+" motor for racing I'd much rather punch a siamese block to ~4.20 and use a 3.79" stroke but up to 4" seem to work really well and it's a preactical build (unlike a chevy withthe rod/cam interferences). take a 451 low deck big block at 451 4.375" x 3.75" and then build the same off a 361 based 454 using a small 4.125" bore and a big 4.25" stroke...which one do you think will make more hp at 7000rpm? Piston speed at 7000 4375 vs 4958 ft/min, that's almost 10 feet per SECOND more of rings scraping up and down the bore with worse high rpm geometry. I know 511's have 4.25 arms and bad rods too but they also have a much bigger piston pushing down on them and bigger valves to feed them.

Using a 4" bore and putting in a 4.25" stroke is great, fantastic actually for a broad flat torque curve, but you're basically close to the same bore and stroke as a 455 Oldsmobile (also not known as a free revver), with a much shorter rod.

I've built a lot of 4+" stroker small blocks and when you spin one over on the stand with the short 6.1-6.2 rods and really the rod angle as it spins (it's a lot easier to examine on a smal block than a deep skirted big block you almost WANT to keep the revs down.

I'm not saying you can't I just try to build a motor around what I feel is it's "natural" geometry, a low revving e-head 4.25" motor is a slam dunk and is NO SLOUCH EITHER. By 'natural' it means it's not at a crank speed where it's fighting itself and effectively "taking it out on the block". I think even RyanJ (I know a bit but he's probably FORGOT more than i'll ever know about A motors ) said the 4+ stuff is better suited to lower revs.

I've built and worked on SB fords as well which have (on average) both A LOT better and greater variety of affordable big flowing heads than us mopar guys. the big 4.17-4.25" stuff just doesn't run or hold up as well as the 3.70-3.93" stroke motors spun ~400 rpm higher with both 9.2" (Cleveland) and 9.5" Windsor Decks, you can want them to but they just don't. And I'm talking 370-380cfm Chapman/roush heads not too many years removed from state of the art NASCAR induction and roller cams. How many AFFORDABLE mopar heads are there like that and don't also need a ton of valvetrain upgrades. It's just to me a matter of practical packaging, the few extra cubes for a race motor to me ain't worth it. Guys do and go fast and that's cool but I bet they've got high caliber heads (not ported e-heads) and never back to backed with a comparable big bore short stroke longer rod combo with the same or similar cubes.

As said in another thread, racers with BIG heads want to work those heads to their max if they want the most power, it some cases longer (than optimum) strokes are the most affordable way to get there, and durability (inthe long term sense) isn't a priority, to a lot of hard core racers a short block is expendable...where his heads may not be

Another way to define durability is generally if you keep max piston speeds below ~4000-4200 ft/min and use good parts the motor holds up better/longer than motors that routinely spin higher. with a 4.25" arm that crank speed is around 6200, and there's nothing wrong with that I like the idea and I'm thinking about getting one myself
Posted By: onebaddakota

Re: 430" small block build - 01/26/11 02:48 AM

I am also considering a 4.125 crank for my fully ported SB edddie heads. What I'd like to know is would it be cost effective to replace my 4" crank 10:1 motor with a 4.125 crank and 11.5 motor? The heads aren't ideal, but would they still build more HP on a bigger CI motor? The extra compression and cubes will allow for a bigger cam. My hydraulic roller is all done at 6000RPM anyway. In my mind, a 40-50HP bump would justify the expense. I just don't know if we're at the law of diminishing returns with the eddies and these big cranks.
Tom

Re: 430" small block build - 01/26/11 02:51 AM

Quote:

I am also considering a 4.125 crank for my fully ported SB edddie heads. What I'd like to know is would it be cost effective to replace my 4" crank 10:1 motor with a 4.125 crank and 11.5 motor? The heads aren't ideal, but would they still build more HP on a bigger CI motor? The extra compression and cubes will allow for a bigger cam. My hydraulic roller is all done at 6000RPM anyway. In my mind, a 40-50HP bump would justify the expense. I just don't know if we're at the law of diminishing returns with the eddies and these big cranks.
Tom

I think you would see some gain but doubt it would be 50hp with those heads.

Re: 430" small block build - 01/26/11 03:25 AM

onebad...wouldn't it be easier to upgrade the heads to get the 50hp? I agree w/quick that's it's not likely enough cubes/CR bump to make THAT much (50hp) difference....30 maybe i think.

i just had Ryan work his magic on my 414 E-heads, right at a 30cfm increase over stock from ~.350 to 600 lift and 40+ up way beyond my present cam...that's 50-60 hp that bolts on.

"$1 in the heads is worth $3 in the shortblock"....Joe Sherman
Posted By: onebaddakota

Re: 430" small block build - 01/26/11 03:40 AM

Well I run all magnum stuff so a head change would mandate new exhaust and valvetrain. My current cam is a 236/242 580 lift cam. What about when you factor in a bigger cam, say in the high 240s/250s. That should allow for the same street manners given the cubes and compression.
If I do to this, you may be getting a consult for a cam, Wize.

Re: 430" small block build - 01/26/11 01:55 PM

Quote:

But to stay on track, any cam info on this motor Dave????

Seems like alot of nice parts for a big power build, can you share your thoughts on what you want the end result to be?

I still have no cam, or any valvetrain for that matter.

The block was tubed by the prior owner, and that limits me to the solid cam variety, but we'll see how everything checks out on the bock before i pull the pin on something. Right now, I am leaning towards a roller since I have nothing for it and would be starting from scratch.

As far as the end result, I'd like a street / strip motor for my 68 cuda - It does not need to put the mileage on like my 66 annually (sometimes over 6,000) but i've had this block for a long time now and need to get something into it or get it out of my garage...lol
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: 430" small block build - 01/26/11 02:58 PM

I hope you sonic checked the x block I have one at Ryans and it didn't check out to well and ended up going with a smaller bore.But I am useing a 4.25 stroke callies.
Posted By: 10 o to go

Re: 430" small block build - 01/26/11 03:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Tom

Quicktree
Are you the one that has 360-1 heads ?
I like to upgrade my ported Eddy heads on my 418.
If their was a gain to them or switch to a 4.125 4.250 crank set up .

Anybody just made either change head or crank to hear true et changes not dyno numbers .

My 418 ,callies crank,compstar rods ,probe pistons,eddy headed solid cam ,seems to run good compare to what I see in a w5 headed combos or even 360-1 .

Where is gain more cubes ,more stroke ,more heads .?

Its hard to compare without hearing just the combos .
Thanks Don

Attached picture 6439333-badsmallblock.jpg

Re: 430" small block build - 01/26/11 05:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Tom

Quicktree
Are you the one that has 360-1 heads ?
I like to upgrade my ported Eddy heads on my 418.
If their was a gain to them or switch to a 4.125 4.250 crank set up .

Anybody just made either change head or crank to hear true et changes not dyno numbers .

My 418 ,callies crank,compstar rods ,probe pistons,eddy headed solid cam ,seems to run good compare to what I see in a w5 headed combos or even 360-1 .

Where is gain more cubes ,more stroke ,more heads .?

Its hard to compare without hearing just the combos .
Thanks Don

yes I have fully ported 360-1s and building a 426" X block with a K1 4.125 crank.

Re: 430" small block build - 01/26/11 05:33 PM

I switched from fully ported eddys to w-2s on a 421cu in,went from 10.70s to 10.50s.This was a batten w-2 made rectangular port real nice head,bought used already ported, was told they flow 305cfm at .600 never had them checked.Not impressed with that set up.So I then switched to 360-1 245cnc heads and went to a 9.97.This was a little less compression because the indys had a larger camber then the battens.This all was on the same shortblock with the same cam.

Re: 430" small block build - 01/26/11 05:37 PM

Quote:

I switched from fully ported eddys to w-2s on a 421cu in,went from 10.70s to 10.50s.This was a batten w-2 made rectangular port real nice head,bought used already ported, was told they flow 305cfm at .600 never had them checked.Not impressed with that set up.So I then switched to 360-1 245cnc heads and went to a 9.97.This was a little less compression because the indys had a larger camber then the battens.This all was on the same shortblock with the same cam.

your car mustbe heavy. what does it weigh?

Re: 430" small block build - 01/26/11 05:46 PM

This is a street car full interior radio etc. Race weight is about 3300lbs.
Posted By: BobR

Re: 430" small block build - 01/26/11 06:49 PM

My "junk" 430" SB Ford made 3000 HP at 9800 RPM.

Re: 430" small block build - 01/26/11 07:37 PM

Thanks for the reply Bobby, I asked some of that because other then the parts posted Dave really didnt explain what he wanted as an end result.

Either way some dang nice parts to build a solid motor to go a long way.

Sorry Bob I know your a "Big Dog" in the mix, but its still ford junk unless I can get it in a Mav Grabber car since so many get upset at the mention of a lil mav beating a mopar..

Re: 430" small block build - 01/26/11 08:06 PM

BobR,

tell me more about your junk

Re: 430" small block build - 01/26/11 08:30 PM

Quote:

BobR,

Re: 430" small block build - 01/26/11 09:10 PM

good one POS,

Ol' Wize is a lot of things....that ain't one of them!

BobR ....SB Ford "junk"

Re: 430" small block build - 01/26/11 09:52 PM

Quote:

BobR,

-Dart iron block filled.

-4.09" stroke Sonny Bryant crank

-Ross pistons 9.25-1

-Cam-proprietary numbers of our own but much bigger than normal turbo deal

-Don Losito billet heads(flow over 400 cfm) and F.I. sheet metal intake

-Precision fuel injectors

-Jesel Keyway roller lifters and rockers(block has angle corrections)

-Titanium valves

-Aluminum rods

-Jesel belt drive

-Twin Precision 88 turbos-45 pounds total boost.

Those are the basics. Combo went 226 at 2950 pounds-9800 RPM.

Motor is for sale minus turbos if you know anyone interested in playing on the dark side.-8 passes since complete rebuild.

Re: 430" small block build - 01/26/11 10:23 PM

care to comment on the side loading - side discussion here then?

dealing with the long stroke at almost 10 grand has to show you alot if there was an issue.

Re: 430" small block build - 01/26/11 10:32 PM

Quote:

dealing with the long stroke at almost 10 grand has to show you alot if there was an issue.

Especially with that amount of boost.

Re: 430" small block build - 01/27/11 12:30 AM

Quote:

No issue at all. Of course we rebuild our motor about every 30-40 passes.

Re: 430" small block build - 01/27/11 12:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You guys are talking about a 4.25" stroke. We couldn't put that much stroke in our Ford motor due to rod to cam clearance. Read that we don't have enough. We have to slightly grind the big end of the rods for 4.09 stroke.

Re: 430" small block build - 01/27/11 12:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

And here I am complaining if I have to rebuild mine in a year.

Re: 430" small block build - 01/27/11 01:07 AM

Closest comparison I can hands on relate to is I've built a number of Mitsu turbos to about 2Bar or ~30psi. Mitsubishi 4g63's have short rods ~(1.6 IIRC) and long strokes too and (believe it or not) can make close to the same (4-5 HP/cube) and RPM as BobR's Ford.

Side loading primarily leads to accelerated ring and bore wear, (the durability "issue") and obviously that builds HEAT, scuffing of the pistons/bores can happen in ANY motor if the oil film breaks down/cokes and the engine load is high enough for long enough.

Excessive side loading?, obviously not....I would only define Excessive as leading to damage and/or loss of power. But more side loading than an equivalent displacement 430" shorter stroke motor, definately. Not excessive but maybe significantly closer to it....

Those dart blocks have mega-thick walls compared to OEM, thinner bores move around more than thick ones.

bobR, do you have the 302 or cleveland Mains?
Just curious.

On a 9.5" deck windsor the big end of the rods do get up in the cam at anything over about 4" with steel rods, I have a 4.17" stroke 427 and also had to relieve the big ends and run a reduced base circle cam. the proximity is something you try not to think about when you're
Posted By: moper

Re: 430" small block build - 01/27/11 02:34 AM

Quote:

You guys are talking about a 4.25" stroke. We couldn't put that much stroke in our Ford motor due to rod to cam clearance. Read that we don't have enough. We have to slightly grind the big end of the rods for 4.09 stroke.

Bob, on other forums I've commented (and questioned) the combination of this low rod to stroke ratio on this package in regard to ring seal and ultimately life span... Any comment on a 1.3 compression height and 1.5 R/S? My assertion is that it should be expected to live a shorter life than a 4" arm and that the gain in power for that little more stroke isnt worth the expense.

Re: 430" small block build - 01/27/11 03:29 AM

Quote:

Bob, on other forums I've commented (and questioned) the combination of this low rod to stroke ratio on this package in regard to ring seal and ultimately life span... Any comment on a 1.3 compression height and 1.5 R/S? My assertion is that it should be expected to live a shorter life than a 4" arm and that the gain in power for that little more stroke isnt worth the expense.

while i wont comment on the CH, RS ratio or any balancer issues ( LOL) I will tell you that I put the BPE crank, Pistons and compstar rods together cheaper then a 4" stock mopar rod sized combo - rod's pistons come with pins and rings and it was in fact cheaper then a standard 4" stroker combo.

Re: 430" small block build - 01/27/11 03:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

while i wont comment on the CH, RS ratio or any balancer issues ( LOL) I will tell you that I put the BPE crank, Pistons and compstar rods together cheaper then a 4" stock mopar rod sized combo - rod's pistons come with pins and rings and it was in fact cheaper then a standard 4" stroker combo.

Nice!

Re: 430" small block build - 01/27/11 04:41 AM

"Those dart blocks have mega-thick walls compared to OEM, thinner bores move around more than thick ones."

-We also filled it and run no water through it at all. We do run water through the heads. Bore stability is critical to ring seal. With the aluminum Fontana block even when filled Vacuum would go from 16 hg at idle to positive through the traps. With the Dart it has at least 6 hg in the lights.

bobR, do you have the 302 or cleveland Mains?
Just curious.

-Not sure what it has now. We've tried a few.

On a 9.5" deck windsor the big end of the rods do get up in the cam at anything over about 4" with steel rods, I have a 4.17" stroke 427 and also had to relieve the big ends and run a reduced base circle cam. the proximity is something.

-It is REALLY close. We use aluminum rods and we have to cut quite a bit. Hasn't seem to hurt the strength. YET.

Re: 430" small block build - 01/27/11 04:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Dave,

We ask our motor to live 30-40 runs so longevity isn't in the equation. Since there are other aspects of the piston/rod/stroke that are much more critical to making power we don't even concern ourselves with that stuff. BAE doesn't either. They have a shelf piston that works for almost everything. Compression is controlled by rod length.

Re: 430" small block build - 01/27/11 02:38 PM

wow - that makes you really appreciate the tall deck heights of a mopar - dont it?

thanks for the info.
Posted By: kielbasa

Re: 430" small block build - 01/27/11 04:44 PM

Very true....I am currently doing the same combo because of what you're getting for the price is hard to beat!
Posted By: moper

Re: 430" small block build - 01/28/11 01:14 AM

Balancer issues...lol.
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: 430" small block build - 01/29/11 04:47 PM

anything new to report Vern.?

Re: 430" small block build - 01/30/11 04:55 AM

went to the machine shop today - had a long day and have to upload pix and transfer measurements - but i'll fill you in asap

Re: 430" small block build - 01/30/11 07:14 PM

OK - Whew - what a long day yesterday was - went to the machine shop for about 4 hours yesterday and got the following information:

Block - Sonic'd out good and magged good - .400+ on the thrust sides ( X block) and mostly 200 - 300 on the other sides of the cylinders.

after the steel shot machine the thing looks good as new -

Before :

After:

On to the Crank -

We checked a number of things to determine the overall quality and condition of the crank. - all measurements were taken at 62 degrees F

1 - straightness - .001
2 - OD of the Mains - 2.4998
3 - OD of the rod journals - 1.9995

4 - Taper of rods and mains - ( worst one ) .0002
5 - Out of round - NA
6 - OD of the snout ( to fit balancer later ) 1.532
7 - Stroke - we came up with 4.133" for all throws except one - that was the 3,4 journal and it was 4.134"

The stroke was longer then anticipated, and adds 2 cubic inches to the build, but they are all consistent with one being one thou longer.

We can play with deck heights to get thins to work out fine, so it's not an issue and the other measurements were impressive to say the least. I dont know if the colder temps ( 62 ) had anything to do with the measurements since i think the standard is in the 70's.

Just another thought when i got home last night I went to callies site and looked at the $1100 dragonslayer crank specs and what they guarantee their cranks to spec out at - here is the quote -

Quote:

These shafts are machined to the tolerances demanded by today’s high performance engine builder. Roundness and taper are held to less than .0003 on all rod and main journal diameters. Our final polishing procedures produce excellent load carrying surfaces that ensure extended bearing life and trouble free operation.

So for half the price I got a crank within the spec of the Callies Dragonslayer - not bad in my opinion!

Last thing we checked for was the oiling holes were indeed drilled all the way - and they were!

Didnt want to leave any stone unturned with a new part and have an issue later.

BIG THANKS to Fonse Performance - they took good care of me yesterday!
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: 430" small block build - 01/30/11 07:39 PM

Good news!
Posted By: DavidDean

Re: 430" small block build - 01/30/11 10:25 PM

Thanks for this post. I'm planning a simular build w/my X block & indy 360-1 CNC.This is to out power my 408 W-5. What is your bore size going to be ? My X block has some core shift between the cylinders(.180-.200 thickness currently) and I will most likly offset bore that bank .030-.050 and fill w/hardblock.I was hoping to bore mine 4.1-4.125.Thanks again for the post & pictures.

Attached picture 6447205-DRCJamesDean.jpg

Re: 430" small block build - 01/30/11 10:39 PM

Quote:

Thanks for this post. I'm planning a simular build w/my X block & indy 360-1 CNC.This is to out power my 408 W-5. What is your bore size going to be ? My X block has some core shift between the cylinders(.180-.200 thickness currently) and I will most likly offset bore that bank .030-.050 and fill w/hardblock.I was hoping to bore mine 4.1-4.125.Thanks again for the post & pictures.

I doubt you get that much, sonic check it.

Re: 430" small block build - 01/31/11 02:37 AM

Quote:

I'm going 4.080 as of right now - i'll get it on the CNC machine shortly to check the dimensions out as we progress.

Re: 430" small block build - 02/01/11 01:41 PM

Should be on schedule this week to get the block on the CNC machine to check some points and hopefully bore and deck it.

After that if we have time the rotating assembly should be ready for balancing.

Re: 430" small block build - 02/13/11 03:41 AM

well just a quick update- the deck was a mess when we put it on the ROTTLER CNC machine - 12 thousands off on the drivers side and 10 thousands off on the passenger side.

While the deck was flat - and this block was machined at a very reputable shop in the 80's the machinery of today has brought inconsistencies like this to the forefront of modern engine building.

so I had a flat, crooked deck on this sucker. But it will clean up within spec for the rotating assembly.

Speaking about the rotating assembly - It measured out to 1794.6 grams for the bobweight - nice and light!

Weights were consistent for everything :

Rods: +/- 2 grams - 599-601
pistons - +/- 1 gram - 471-472

Just out of curiosity - does anyone know the stock 340 rotating assembly bobweight?

The TCI Rattler had to be fitted to the crank which was 1.532" and the balancer was 2 1/2 thousands smaller - It was honed to fit with a 1 1/2 thou press fit.

so we're gettin there - slowly but surely.

Re: 430" small block build - 02/13/11 04:10 AM

Nice work DJV and Al Fonse!
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: 430" small block build - 02/13/11 04:12 AM

Quote:

While the deck was flat - and this block was machined at a very reputable shop in the 80's the machinery of today has brought inconsistencies like this to the forefront of modern engine building.

.012 was unattainable in those days.. Just pickin.. good thread.

Re: 430" small block build - 02/13/11 04:28 AM

lol... sad to say that this was built up with aluminum rods and w2 heads and sadly never made it to the track - but man - i'd hate to try and keep a piston to valve clearance with aluminum rods and the deck all the hell over the place...

i guess they just measured one piston to valve as well ...

Re: 430" small block build - 02/13/11 05:02 AM

Looking good Dave.

What made you go with the rattler balancer vs an ATI?
Just curious.

Re: 430" small block build - 02/13/11 08:36 PM

Quote:

Looking good Dave.

What made you go with the rattler balancer vs an ATI?
Just curious.

lol

seriously - I had good luck with COMP's EZ efi ( They own them ) and I'm the type to stick with a brand I have had luck with so I gave the TCI Rattler a chance ( Comp also owns them as well )

ATI - I am sure is a perfect piece - I just have no experience with them yet at this point.
Posted By: 340B5

Re: 430" small block build - 02/13/11 09:20 PM

"Just out of curiosity - does anyone know the stock 340 rotating assembly bobweight?"

I was curious myself, so I did a half-fast back yard check on my stock rods/speed pro pistons and best guestimates for that was 2150-2200 grams. Not exactly stock, but somewhere in the 'hood.

Re: 430" small block build - 02/14/11 02:35 AM

so that about a 20% reduction in reciprocating weight savings - right?

Re: 430" small block build - 02/14/11 04:07 AM

I came up with roughly 17-19%, again using my crude method that really gave me "just an idea". It's enough to make it rev fast.

While skimming through this thread finding your bobweight, I noticed the Callies tolerances. I saw that while crank shopping and hope it's a misprint. If I remember correctly, the factory (OEM)tolerance on cranks is .0002 per journal.

Re: 430" small block build - 02/17/11 02:01 PM

Got the block bored and decked last night - the cylinder to cylinder center to centers were not off too bad - the worst was 2 thousands - there were a couple exact ( .0000 ) so thats cool

The Rottler CNC will bore the exact centers for all the new pistons and have the bores exactly where they are supposed to be.

After all the cylinders were punched out we decked the block.
Remember I said earlier that the deck was flat - but not square to the deck? well after the first cut you can actually see the difference in out of square...

This shot was taken as the second pass was being made on the deck. - you can clearly see the top of the deck was taller then the bottom, and not it is square to the cylinders.

Like I said before the block was built at a very reputable shop - imagine what it would look like if it was not...lol

Thanks again to Fonse Performance for all the help !

Re: 430" small block build - 02/18/11 01:51 PM

Mocked up the rod, piston and bearing - the counterweight needs to be .060 away from the skirt - we have that by a mile

This is something brand x guys would think of and the mopar guys take for granted with the tall deck.

Re: 430" small block build - 02/18/11 01:59 PM

its commin along..

cheapst..

Re: 430" small block build - 02/18/11 02:04 PM

it is Jim - I am looking to get the caps installed / check the lifter bores - this weekend so we can hone it and mock it up!

Re: 430" small block build - UPDATE [ BORE & DECK ] - 02/20/11 02:34 AM

got the caps fitted and drilled today.

I was curious about the stroke of the crank so we mocked up a piston and it's not out of the hole as anticipated - the fixture or indicator was off regarding measuring stroke and it's dead on 4.125 as advertised - not 4.133 as measured a few weeks ago - always good to double check.
Posted By: BPE

Re: 430" small block build - UPDATE [ BORE & DECK ] - 02/20/11 03:44 AM

Thanks for double checking the stroke. The build looks to be coming along nicely
Posted By: toddd

Re: 430" small block build - UPDATE [ BORE & DECK ] - 02/20/11 03:51 AM

I'm really enjoying this build.

Thanks for the pics and updates.

Re: 430" small block build - UPDATE [ BORE & DECK ] - 02/20/11 03:59 AM

Rod, as you know in engine building you check and double check things - and when we get to the bearing clearances we will double check the crank journals at that point as well - even though they came out perfect it still gets checked several times.

and man - now I know why they charge so much to fit main caps - trying to get the air gap set for the .0015 to .0002 clear under the splayed portion of the cap a little at a time as you get closer and closer is alot of time, and time is money!

There is a pretty significant size difference between the two - so it should hold up to the power i * could * make if I ever upgrade to a race head...

Like I said - it was mocked up today and there is a ton of room from the last clearance job - the 2" journals certainly help the situation!
Posted By: Racebuddy

Re: 430" small block build - UPDATE [ BORE & DECK ] - 02/22/11 07:20 PM

can u still run a girdle when u upgrade to these 4 bolt mains??

i didn't know these blocks had nuf meat to really tap bolt holes into

Re: 430" small block build - UPDATE [ BORE & DECK ] - 02/22/11 07:23 PM

a stock block really does not - but this is an X block that has filled pan rails where the angled bolt attaches to - it is still close to the water jacket and you can feel that inside the freeze plug, but there is meat there.

I have no clue on the girdles, to me they dont seem to be able to do much on a small block mope.

Re: 430" small block build - 03/06/11 03:32 AM

From left to right :

4.125" Stroke setup - BPE Piston - .927 pin - Compstar 6.200 Rod w/ 2" journal - total weight - 1186g - Total Bobweight - 1749g

4" Cast Stroke setup - KB Piston - .984 pin - SCAT 6.125 rod w/ 2.125" journal - total weight - 1216g - Total Bobweight - 1799 G

3.31" Stroke Setup - Stock Piston - .984 pin - Stock rod - total weight - 1508 - Total Bobweight? over 2000 G I assume?

Anyone know?

Re: 430" small block build - 03/12/11 03:03 AM

Just a quick update - no pix sorry -

heads are in RyanJ's hands and my Comp order just arrived today - Well except for the cam.

It will have a solid roller and the new 8043-16 roller should drop right in without having to grind like the 828 lifter.

Re: 430" small block build - 03/12/11 01:38 PM

just a thankyou for taking the time to show and explain all thats going on Dave and to the machine shop for letting all the work be seen Andyb

Re: 430" small block build - 03/12/11 09:45 PM

you better go buy all these parts now..
cause when dave publishes it in a magazine...
the parts will all go to back orders...lol..
cheapst

Re: 430" small block build - 03/13/11 01:20 AM

Thanks Andy - I see alot of people watching but not alot commenting, so thanks again for commenting.

Jim - lol - we are far from done... you should like the progression we go through when this sucker gets finished.

I'll get some pix up shortly of the valvetrain parts

Re: 430" small block build - 03/14/11 01:29 PM

OK - a few updates - the heads are at Shady Dell Speed Shop to get the port work done.

The cam selected will require a 954 spring ( double with damper ). This required a tool steel retainer and 10 degree lock.

The lifters are the COMP 8043 lifters that have the link bars in the front as opposed to the older style 828 lifters. These should require no grinding on the block and since the block is tubed the ability of the lifter to pushrod oil is not going to be used.

Side shot of the lifters.
Posted By: Scamp408

Re: 430" small block build - 03/15/11 02:36 PM

I am diggin it . I have the 828 in my block no problems at all. keep up the good work and pics

Re: 430" small block build - 03/15/11 07:33 PM

Thanks - will do!
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: 430" small block build - 03/15/11 10:10 PM

Quote:

.............and since the block is tubed the ability of the lifter to pushrod oil is not going to be used.

You do know, by not having oil pressure at the lifter, you are
giving up one of the another added features of that lifter?

EDM oiling to the needle bearing axle.

Re: 430" small block build - 03/16/11 02:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

.............and since the block is tubed the ability of the lifter to pushrod oil is not going to be used.

You do know, by not having oil pressure at the lifter, you are
giving up one of the another added features of that lifter?

EDM oiling to the needle bearing axle.

yes I am aware of the loss of oil direct to the axle. The 828's live with splash oiling.

In your opinion Vic - Do you think it will be an issue for my setup?
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: 430" small block build - 03/16/11 02:12 AM

I would want to take advantage of the direct axle oiling it should make them hold up even better.
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: 430" small block build - 03/16/11 09:25 AM

I would think the pressurised oiling would be benaficial in any
application. They should last as long as the 828, without.

Re: 430" small block build - 03/17/11 02:02 AM

WHOO HOO - - My cam is here....

Re: 430" small block build - 03/20/11 02:14 AM

Have not had much time lately, so not much to update - I have been collecting parts but as far as the bock goes - the 4 bolt mains are done.

The only PIA is the pro-gram supplied studs - if they had been setup for an allen head to run them down like the main studs it would save alot of time.

Posted By: cudadoug

Re: 430" small block build - 03/20/11 06:35 AM

This is a FUN read!!

One question: Why not a beehive spring??

Re: 430" small block build - 03/20/11 12:22 PM

I was considering one but could not find anything even in the ballpark as far as spring pressures.
Posted By: all spooled up

Re: 430" small block build - 04/16/11 01:59 PM

hows it comeing along

Re: 430" small block build - 04/17/11 01:27 AM

Gathering parts and working overtime right now.

Thanks for the bump!

Re: 430" small block build - 04/17/11 02:49 AM

Can you share any insight on the cam and head flow for this beast?....I happen to be running the same springs but with the Ti retainers.

also are you looking for a moderate RPM motor or a high-winder?

Re: 430" small block build - 04/17/11 03:09 AM

Quote:

Can you share any insight on the cam and head flow for this beast?....I happen to be running the same springs but with the Ti retainers.

also are you looking for a moderate RPM motor or a high-winder?

I was prepared to go TI if I had to but Ryan recommended against them - stating they would get chewed up by the damper of the spring. I researched it and Manley and Comp also concur with Ryan. I never doubted Ryan, I just wanted to see if there was a common knowledge I was missing, and apparently the manufacturers are aware of the issue.

just an FYI - I have no idea on the longevity we are talking about but the tool steel is regarded when used with any damper.

Ryan was kind enough to spec out a comp custom roller for me to coincide with his heads - The comp specs:

Dur 258/262, Lift .639/645 w/ 1.5's

I'm looking at this point to make this a midrange motor - 3000 - 6500 - Ryan stated he could throw a bit more duration for more top end, but stated it was a safe, killer piece from 3200 - 6400.
Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

Re: 430" small block build - 04/17/11 03:58 AM

What kind of HP you looking to get out of it??

Re: 430" small block build - 04/17/11 04:08 AM

as much as I can....

Re: 430" small block build - 04/17/11 04:25 AM

Nice cam.
Posted By: Racebuddy

Re: 430" small block build - 04/23/11 03:51 PM

Can a guy put these 4 bolt main caps on a stock block and use a main girdle with them too??

Re: 430" small block build - 04/23/11 04:04 PM

Quote:

Can a guy put these 4 bolt main caps on a stock block and use a main girdle with them too??

dont think you have enough material on a stock block to add 4 bolt mains. some of the experts can tell you for sure.

Re: 430" small block build - 04/23/11 05:18 PM

Looking at my factory block, I wouldn't dream of it. The 4 bolt mains would work better than 2 bolts w/o using the outer bolts on a factory block.(kind of a leverage effect)

Re: 430" small block build - 04/24/11 02:54 AM

Steel 2 bolt caps with studs seems to work good on factory blocks

Re: 430" small block build - 04/24/11 03:04 AM

Quote:

Steel 2 bolt caps with studs seems to work good on factory blocks

- There is no meat for the outer bolts to attach to - The filled rails of the X block are the only thing to make that happen.

I went with the angled bolts to attach to more material then the straight setups -there just is not alot there.

If this was a stock block I'd stud and cap it with 2 bolts.
anything else to a stock block is just compromising the strength IMO.
Posted By: 64physhy

Re: 430" small block build - 04/24/11 10:34 PM

I love this build. I just finished my 414 stroker about 9 months ago, and I'm already starting to think of the next one. An R block was in the plans, now it looks like a 4.125 crank will be as well. You guys cause me to spend way too much money.

Re: 430" small block build - 04/25/11 01:12 AM

Quote:

I love this build. I just finished my 414 stroker about 9 months ago, and I'm already starting to think of the next one. An R block was in the plans, now it looks like a 4.125 crank will be as well. You guys cause me to spend way too much money.

I hear that - Rod's 4.250 stroke post sure is tempting... I added up my receipts and almost fell over...lol

Re: 430" small block build - 05/02/11 01:21 AM

Had some time for the build this weekend - Got the block one step closer to finished!

We line bored with the CNC machine - and this is setting the cutter up.

Next it was line honed - taking the last bit out of the new caps and set the oil clearances.

We got to work on some other things, but this was the majority of the work that got done this weekend.

Re: 430" small block build - 05/08/11 02:19 AM

Side by side - next to the competition - you can really see the difference in crank to cam centerlines - the mopar block has a mile compared to the chevy

Getting ready for the final hone - the bottoms of the cylinders needed to be cleaned up - the cut from the bore was sharp at the end and the grinder and sand rolls smoothed it out so that the piston would not scratch when it was all the way down. It will have some rock and the skirts will keep from getting scuffed at that point.

Re: 430" small block build - 05/18/11 02:49 PM

heads were delivered yesterday!!!

Re: 430" small block build - 05/18/11 06:21 PM

Here are a few shots of the heads :

stockers:

Chamber - 2.02 & 1.60 valves are stock eddy

Intake ( Front )
as delivered form Edelbrock - the casting was cleaned up slightly at the factory - they tend to leave depressions where the corners of the ports are -

Intake ( Rear )
you can see some casting it varies from port to port at the seat

RyanJ's stage 4

Chambers -

Loaded with 2.055 & 1.60 Ferrea 6000 series valves

F6114 intake 2.055" X 5.01" X 11/32" Super Flo

F6104 exhaust 1.60" X 5.01" X 11/32" Super Flo

Intake ( Front)

Intake (Rear)

Exhaust

Re: 430" small block build - 05/19/11 02:41 AM

Got to run over to Fonse's tonight -

Comp's 1622 Ultra Pro Magnum Rockers setup nicely on the ported head. They have a mile from the spring and retainer.

Harland Sharp's dont sit over the tip as nice stock. They are close to the springs - too close!

Comp's weigh in a touch lighter then the HS

Re: 430" small block build - 05/19/11 07:07 PM

I thought it was noteworthy to list the weights of the rockers

Comp - total - 163.4 g
- without adjuster - 143.6g
- adjuster - 19.8

HS - Total - 167.0
- Without adjuster - 141.8
- adjuster - 25.2

The Comps have a cup and the HS have a ball.
Posted By: goldmember

Re: 430" small block build - 05/19/11 07:31 PM

Nice build.Overall weight of the rocker is not important,but still lot's of good pics.

Re: 430" small block build - 05/19/11 07:40 PM

I know it's not that relevant, but rocker companies claim alot of things in the information passed around.
I was actually surprised that they were so close.

Re: 430" small block build - 05/31/11 01:38 PM

Got some more progress to report over at Fonse Performance.

Since the block is tubed for soild lifters on one side of the block the other side has to be cut off form oil flow altogether. The Mopar instructions always stated to put a pipe plug in the left side galley - the same result can be achieved by tapping a plugging right above the #1 main.

Another interesting point was the ARP bolt in the #5 main at the oil pump. It was not necessary for a stud in this location so we are using a stock bolt in that location. Here is an ARP bolt we could have used, but if you go this route, you need to double check the thread depth, as the ARP bolt is longer and can bottom out before proper torque is applied.

After all the oil mods were done I got to run solvent through all the oil passages. The brushes removed the last of the debris before another session with the jet wash.

After the jet wash it was rinsed with a pressure washer making sure to get into all the oil passages.

Once more - in the block this time - the COMP 828 Lifters:

and the 8043's

Here is the top end of the motor, Ported ( stage 4) Eddy heads by RyanJ, Eddy Super Victor and a custom Comp solid roller. This is one of a few setups that will be tested out before this gets off the dyno, but this is the one that will be making the big numbers for sure.

Re: 430" small block build - 07/17/11 03:25 AM

WHOO HOO!

Got it honed and on a stand today!!

It was nice to watch an expert take the time to make things perfect today - Neal was taking the time to get absolutely no taper in the bore and have all of them dead on - the dial bore gauge reads to the ten thousands of an inch and i got to inspect the bores before we moved on - well I had nothing to complain about - thats for sure!

The CNC gets things close, but a bore or two were tighter at the top or bottom, ( we are still talking tenths) and Neal got it dead on balls straight!

We had the eddy head on one side and the hone plate on the side we were working on, with the head gaskets in place - the mains were torqued down - This loads the block like it will be when it is assembled.

We used two grits of stone and a plateau hone at the end.

The image was after the jet wash and after I crc'd the machined surfaces.

Re: 430" small block build - 08/14/11 01:19 AM

Got some work done this weekend - the bearing clearances needed to be checked.

Got the rods cleaned up piece by piece in the parts washer and ready to be torqued to spec.

ARP lubed the threads and the shank of each bolt
ARP's stretch gauge confirmed the 75 ft/ lbs of torque was good for .004-.005 stretch on the bolts.

At 75 ft/lbs they were all reading between the .004 and .005 recommended

after they were torqued the ID was checked to spec - we had 7 of them 2 tenths large and one 3 tenths large - they were all very consistent and uniform rods.

Re: 430" small block build - 08/14/11 01:38 AM

WOW!!!!! Your doing a GREAT job with all the pics!!!! Looks GREAT!!!!!

Re: 430" small block build - 08/14/11 01:43 AM

Thanks - It is a PIA trying to get them all at times...lol

Re: 430" small block build - 09/04/11 03:33 AM

Set the end play - It;s right at .005 right where it needs to be - another testament to the BPE crank being dead on balls accurate!

Need to check the clearance of the counterweights?
Need to get in to a tight spot?
Need a flexable feeler gauge?

measure a zip tie ( this one was .060 and the crank spun with it between the counterweight and the webbing.

Rod clearance was right on at .016 - quality rods and quality cranks sure make assembly easy!!!

Re: 430" small block build - 09/04/11 04:09 AM

Looks real purdy!!!!!

Re: 430" small block build - 09/04/11 02:08 PM

I've used .060" Electrical cable 'Zip Ties' (aka Ty-Raps) to check cam lobe-to- connecting rod clearances and rod to pan rail/bore bottom gaps on stroker motors for years! They're just the right width to get in where a traditional feeler gauge won't go, and in the case of cam lobes I'd just cinch them up tight on the lobes themselves.

Looks fantastic buddy!
Posted By: barracuda man

Re: 430" small block build - 09/04/11 02:25 PM

A nice build indeed.Great info.Will this block need hard block?

Re: 430" small block build - 09/06/11 01:06 AM

Quote:

A nice build indeed.Great info.Will this block need hard block?

no it's an X block, and a noticeable increase in strength over a stock block.

& thanks Wize.... it's been a long road.

Re: 430" small block build - 09/06/11 11:56 PM

Not sure if you have said how much HP its gonna make and I really didnt want to read thru 9 pages of posts so,How much HP are you hoping it makes??

Re: 430" small block build - 09/07/11 01:13 PM

Quote:

you already asked....lol

Quote:

as much as I can....

Re: 430" small block build - 09/07/11 05:14 PM

Opps....Been a while!!!!

Re: 430" small block build - 09/08/11 02:52 PM

I feel the same way - i dont have a ton of time each week to dedicate to the motor, so its taking a bit.
Posted By: sshemi

Re: 430" small block build - 09/08/11 07:30 PM

why would you need to meausure crank throws for cl?
Is it because of the caps?
Posted By: sshemi

Re: 430" small block build - 09/08/11 07:31 PM

One thing that realy amazes me is the quality of your pics.

Re: 430" small block build - 09/08/11 08:23 PM

Quote:

why would you need to meausure crank throws for cl?
Is it because of the caps?

The throws, or more specifically the counterweights were real close to the top of the block - the X block has a little more meat in these areas and it is tight. But it all fits

Re: 430" small block build - 09/08/11 11:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

you already asked....lol

Quote:

as much as I can....

SNOB!!!!

Re: 430" small block build - 09/09/11 12:03 AM

lmao!!!
I'm running a few different combo's on top so its not as easy to nail a number down - probably 500 range is a safe bet!

Re: 430" small block build - 11/28/11 03:18 AM

Just a quick update - Been working a ton, but have managed to get over to work on things a few times and have not updated.

Just about ready to balance after checking and re-checking everything - the shop was impressed with the BPE setup to say the least. They started recommending them to guys inquiring about SBM setups. The fit and finish was better then anything they have touched before in this price range.

Slid both cams in and checked with both heads, the PTV, Radial clearance, and pushrod length was all checked and we are all set.

Radial clearances was checked with clay, Rod's pistons have a ton even with the 2.055 intakes on the ported set of heads, considering the rock of the piston as well.

Pushrods are all at 7.600 - they are all 7.595" long at the last point we checked them so I will be ordering them soon.

Re: 430" small block build - 12/10/11 02:58 AM

I went with the Manton's 11/32" pushrods. They are an 11/32 x .120 wall thickness.

They are about 50% stronger then a 5/16 ( TOP) - and the 3/8 (BOTTOM) is 50% stronger then the 11/32 ( MIDDLE)

Posted By: 383man

Re: 430" small block build - 12/10/11 06:15 AM

Wow Dave that is one fine looking eng you are putting together and you are doing top notch work. I have Manton pushrods also in my 493 and they gave me great service. In fact my adjustable pushrod looks like yours but mine is for the RB block. I missed some of this also but I assume you are putting this in the Cuda ? How fast are you looking to go with this beast under the hood ? Ron

Re: 430" small block build - 12/10/11 05:48 PM

I also ran the Manton 11/32's, Very happy with Terry's expertise and customer service!

Attached picture 6960250-4141.JPG

Re: 430" small block build - 12/12/11 02:37 AM

Hey Ron - Thanks for checking out the thread - the motor is for a Cuda, just not my 66. I have a few other cuda's sitting around that will have to gone over and get this sucker in there eventually.
Posted By: fed

Re: 430" small block build - 01/10/12 11:25 PM

Posted By: ademon

Re: 430" small block build - 01/11/12 07:43 PM

Re: 430" small block build - 03/15/12 06:06 PM

Long overdue update!

I've been plugging away at the motor, bottom end is assembled and we're getting on the top end soon... cant wait!

Both stock and ported eddy's were CC'd ( intake, exhaust, & chambers ) before we flowed them

Also got the crank balanced - we needed almost 170 grams off both sides and instead of drilling the hell out of the crank we milled off the weight. There are a bunch of ways to get this done but this is a better result then the drill at that amount.

You can see this SBF was drilled to death - not the most professional way to get it done.

With assembly right around the corner I whittled away at the oil pump and passages - the filter area and rear cap took the most work - here is a progress shot.

With everything clean we file fit the rings... getting there!

HOME SWEET HOME!!!

Re: 430" small block build - 03/15/12 07:04 PM

500hp? please honestly you should see 560ish or more..and lots of tq..10's easy

Re: 430" small block build - 03/19/12 02:49 AM

All washed and ready for assembly!

Got the pins & rings on - the pistons have wire locks - man i go them down by piston number 8 - lol

A little lube on the threads and bottom of the heads to achieve accurate torque

Sinking the pistons in and the chamfer goes to the crank side. you can also see the radius on the crank and the narrow bearing that misses the crank.

ARP's ring compressor made dropping the pistons in a breeze - it's tall enough to get the rings set in it at the bench and then drop it right in at the block with your thumbs.

A couple feeler gauges set in between the rods keep everything square and true while torquing.

The 4.125" stroke and 2.00 inch rod journal make plenty of room where a stock mopar diameter rod would be into the pickup tube. I'd be curious of the 4.250 stroke in this area

Before checking the pan to pickup clearance - please look over and clean your pan - any weld spatter or dirt will get right into the engine.. ours had weld spatter, and took a bit to get it cleaned and free of these little buggers -

Re: 430" small block build - 05/21/12 02:22 AM

Should be on the dyno this week with a mild configuration

any guesses?
430 cubes
stock eddy heads
air gap intake
Comp XR286R

LS 110

Intake
Duration @ .050" Lift: 248
Valve Lift: .576

Exhaust
Duration @ .050" Lift: 254
Valve Lift: .582

I have a couple carbs to try out - 750 ultra hp, 830, 950 hp and 1000 hp... still undecided.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: 430" small block build - 05/21/12 02:41 AM

Earlier in this post I thought you said you were going to use ported heads with 2.05 valves.
Posted By: radar

Re: 430" small block build - 05/21/12 02:14 PM

Yeah I thought the stock eddy heads were only good to 475ish? Are they ootb or did you clean up the valve job?

Re: 430" small block build - 05/21/12 02:16 PM

Quote:

Earlier in this post I thought you said you were going to use ported heads with 2.05 valves.

I will be - I am dyno'ing several configurations - this is the mildest build
Posted By: FlyFish

Re: 430" small block build - 05/21/12 02:29 PM

I run that same cam in my 410 stroker. I bet you get ~ 530 hp with a pile-O torque.
Posted By: Red440

Re: 430" small block build - 05/21/12 03:44 PM

when do you think you will have it on the dyno? cant wait!
Posted By: viperblue72

Re: 430" small block build - 05/21/12 04:45 PM

My guess is gonna top out at 475hp and make ALOT of torque. Horsepower and torque are gonna be a very flat curve.
Max port those eddies and I see 575 very easily.

Re: 430" small block build - 05/22/12 01:21 AM

I would love to take a guess, but you know what numbers I'm really interested in. I expect you to give us the full report.

Rod
Posted By: Hitman340

Re: 430" small block build - 05/22/12 01:54 AM

Watch closely boys and girls.A lot to be learned here.Dave you have done one outstanding job and have taking a lot of time to show us all how to go about doing an engine the right way.I would really like to thank you for the pictures and the attention to detail you have put into this build.I would say with %100 certainty that your dyno #s will teach us all a lot on how to go about making power and what it takes to do it.Again thank you for the time you put into this and for sharing it with all of us.

Re: 430" small block build - 05/22/12 01:34 PM

Thanks for the compliment Hitman - I'm not expecting a ton of HP out of this combo, as the heads are bone stock.

I did blueprint them and had to open up the tight guides, as well as correct a few intake valves that had some stem runout. but aside from the springs, etc to match the cam they are stock castings.

There will be several variations of the engine on the dyno and I cant wait to hear this sucker run!

Re: 430" small block build - 06/04/12 01:32 AM

YOUTUBE LINK

Re: 430" small block build - 06/04/12 01:55 AM

fonse!! outta all the times i looked at ur post i never realized(good place to do buisness)now if the heads are otb 100 stock your still gonna make well in the 500's but if there done by rj i'd say 575ish with 550ish atleast tq...which means mid 10 sec cruiser good luck brother.

Re: 430" small block build - 06/04/12 01:59 AM

These were STOCK heads - not OOB since I had a few tight guides, and a few intakes that the seats were 1.5 thou oor - but aside from that and matching springs etc they are stock castings, not even decked.

I ran 2 carbs today -
the Ultra HP 750 & the 830 Annular

and they were withing a hp or two - so the carb is definitely not holding the engine back - the heads are at this point....

all I can say is WHAT A TORQUE MONSTER!!!

Any more guesses before I spill the numbers?
Posted By: Abodyjohn88

Re: 430" small block build - 06/04/12 02:46 AM

Spil em!!! My guess 463hp 589 tq
Posted By: OneRunSon

Re: 430" small block build - 06/04/12 03:20 AM

480 hp./557 tq.
Posted By: LA360

Re: 430" small block build - 06/04/12 04:40 AM

I am surprised you didn't machine the cap and shorten the main stud rather than use a bolt. Nice looking build, will be interesting to see the various results

Re: 430" small block build - 06/04/12 12:37 PM

Quote:

I am surprised you didn't machine the cap and shorten the main stud rather than use a bolt. Nice looking build, will be interesting to see the various results

After considering all directions, the determination was that there was not alot of stress on the back cap, unlike a chev, with the thrust , oil pump, rear seal & bearing back there...lol.

There are proven packages making almost double with the stock bolt back there, so I was completely comfortable with it.

Re: 430" small block build - 06/04/12 01:28 PM

ok - time for the recap

get 5 gallons of Sunoco Ultra 93 and headed over to make some pulls
We bolted the engine up the day before so we were ready to make some pulls when we got there.

It fired right off - good sign!

Made the first pull after a warmup, set timing, and check for leaks.
No oil or water leaks were a damn good sign of things when we were warming it up.

1st pull was mild as we were seating the rings, as well as making sure the Holley Ultra HP 750 was jetted close.

With everything good to go the hammer went down - we made the pulls from 3000 to 5600 as it started dropping off after that.

What we wound up with was:
511.7 hp @ 5400
&
566 ft/lbs @ 4200

Flat torque curve does not describe this motor - there was 519 ft/lbs @ 3000 and stayed over 500 ft / lbs until 5400
That's averaging 515 ft/lbs for the entire run!

We changed the carb to an 830 & got within 1 hp of the 750 - seems to me the carb is not limiting the engine at this point.

I was surprised that a stock casting eddy head could pull that much power, I was expecting under 500 for sure.

I'm kinda glad things were uneventful in terms of problems, it was just an easy Sunday afternoon!

Re: 430" small block build - 06/04/12 02:14 PM

nice numbers what headers did you use and did yall try any spacers?

Re: 430" small block build - 06/04/12 02:23 PM

1 5/8 hooker comps were on there for testing - I didnt want to waste any time with a larger tube and a stock head.

I tried a few spacers, but it really didnt change much - I tried a couple 1" but with similar results.

I really thought one carb setup would walk away from the other but it really didnt...
Posted By: Rapid340

Re: 430" small block build - 06/04/12 02:37 PM

Thanks for sharing.

What ignition box and coil did you use?

Re: 430" small block build - 06/04/12 02:46 PM

Quote:

Thanks for sharing.

What ignition box and coil did you use?

MSD Dist & coil ( E-Curve ) locked out at 30 degrees ( where it liked it the most )
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: 430" small block build - 06/04/12 02:58 PM

Quote:

1 5/8 hooker comps were on there for testing - I didnt want to waste any time with a larger tube and a stock head.

I tried a few spacers, but it really didnt change much - I tried a couple 1" but with similar results.

I really thought one carb setup would walk away from the other but it really didnt...

Granted thats alot of cubes for a set of stock heads
but I wonder if your choke was the 1 5/8 headers...
hard to say... if you cant get it out you cant get
it in... nice torque out of it

Re: 430" small block build - 06/04/12 03:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

hard to say... if you cant get it out you cant get
it in... nice torque out of it

Very good point. The next test should shine some light on that as I have a set of ported heads & a victor 340 with the same cam & headers.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: 430" small block build - 06/04/12 03:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

hard to say..

I'd think even with untouched Edelbrocks that 1 5/8" headers, no matter who makes them, would kill any performance stroker. If it was a truck motor they'd probably be fine.
Posted By: racer_amx

Re: 430" small block build - 06/04/12 03:18 PM

cool build , im subscribed
Posted By: 383man

Re: 430" small block build - 06/04/12 04:09 PM

Nice #'s Dave. Thats gonna run great. Hope to see you at Carlisle. Ron

Re: 430" small block build - 06/05/12 12:21 AM

Thanks Ron!

I wont be at Carlise this year, I am starting a renovation soon and probably wont have the time.

Re: 430" small block build - 06/05/12 02:19 PM

dave, hope you can also run the air-gap dualplane with the ported heads. would be interesting to see the differences between the victor and dualplane. thanks for sharing info

Re: 430" small block build - 06/05/12 02:29 PM

it really comes down to time - and what I can fit in on dyno time.

Got it swapped over, but got bumped for a bit so others can get on the dyno
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: 430" small block build - 06/05/12 02:34 PM

impressive numbers man!

...makes me think I might build another smallblock rather than do up a bigblock...lol

Re: 430" small block build - 06/05/12 02:36 PM

Quote:

impressive numbers man!

...makes me think I might build another smallblock rather than do up a bigblock...lol

I tell you what - as much as It is like a Buick motor - thats one hell of a street motor - 500 ft/lbs from the hit of the converter?? what a tire fryer...lol

Re: 430" small block build - 06/05/12 02:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

After considering all directions, the determination was that there was not alot of stress on the back cap, unlike a chev, with the thrust , oil pump, rear seal & bearing back there...lol.

There are proven packages making almost double with the stock bolt back there, so I was completely comfortable with it.

I did the same thing. It's really no problem.

Re: 430" small block build - 06/05/12 06:05 PM

I do the Bolt in #5 too

Nice build, a set of Shady Dell stage 2 Eddies would work Perfectly with that cam, Mine is 266/269 @.050 but similar .585/570 Lift. With a roller cam they would probably net you close to +50hp with no downside. Not sure if the OOTB RPM intake would flow quite enough up high on that big a motor without some work though (I run a ported Vic 340), but your peak power would probably raise another 400-500RPM.

BTW...I'm also running a way too small 1 5/8" x 3" header but that's because I'm not sure a 1 7/8" x 3 1/2 (the size I run on my 427" SBF) would fit the chassis, bang for the buck the cheapies do just fine

Stock Small block Edelbrocks

LIFT-----IN/EX

.200”--131.1/107.0
.300”--182.9/151.8
.400”--216.6/181.2
.450”--227.7/182.9
.500”--235.9/185.6
.550”--238.7/185.6
.600”--242.2/185.6
.650”--243.2/185.6
.700”--243.2/185.6

SDSS ported Flow #'s Gain

LIFT--IN/EX

.200"--146.9/110.8 15.8 3.8
.300"--196.3/150.1 13.4 -1.7
.400"--245.8/180.2 29.2 -1
.450"--259.0/193.8 31.3 9.9
.500"--268.6/203.4 32.7 17.8
.550"--271.8/212.9 33.1 27.3
.600"--276.6/218.6 34.4 33
.650"--283.5/221.6 40.3 36
.700"--286.6/223.8 43.4 38.2

Re: 430" small block build - 06/05/12 07:37 PM

Been waiting for your reply Wize -

I've got a stock victor 340 as well as Ryan's heads ready to make some pulls with this cam - and it is a solid roller.

As far as the intake goes - I was real impressed with the results from it - tons of torque and it made over 500 hp - i honestly was expecting a 450 horse motor with the intake / head / header setup I was running.

Re: 430" small block build - 06/05/12 08:28 PM

Yeah I saw it was a solid roller, IIRC that's the 'FlyFish' cam that works really well on the strokers, pulls better up high than you think it would on paper. I might try that one the next time I do a 'little 'un'

Awesome combo, it would be awesome to swap the heads and test the intakes back to back just to see how far the RPM Ag can go....run the 1000HP on it though so we know it's not the carb holding it back. Seem to think the Ag's are great up to around 520-530 but with a big carb they might run further upstairs. I only run the Vic 'cause I'm trying to kill some bottom

I know the SBM intakes aren't the 15 minute swaps (like Big brother) on the Dyno though.

Re: 430" small block build - 06/05/12 08:37 PM

yeah it really makes thing time consuming -
I really like to let things sit for a day when I swap them - typically.

When it's spring and others are in line for the dyno to get the bullet in a car it's tough... we'll try and give it a go though

Re: 430" small block build - 07/17/12 05:41 PM

Any Guesses?

SDSS Stage 4 ported heads
2.055 intake valves
1.60 exh

and Eddy Victor 340 intake
Port and gasket matched

are the changes up next on the pump

Re: 430" small block build - 07/17/12 05:54 PM

What! It's going back on the dyno already? I thought you were trying to make this "The Marathon Engine Build" Just kidding, when does it go back on the pump?

Rod

Re: 430" small block build - 07/17/12 05:59 PM

lol... maybe Thursday.

Re: 430" small block build - 07/17/12 06:17 PM

Same cam as before?

Re: 430" small block build - 07/17/12 06:24 PM

yes

Re: 430" small block build - 07/17/12 07:23 PM

557 hp...and a boat load of torque.

Re: 430" small block build - 07/17/12 07:34 PM

I'm hoping I loose some of that torque I made and make a little more HP this time around

Re: 430" small block build - 07/17/12 07:44 PM

Maybe it's just me,but I don't think you will see much of a gain until you put the bigger camshaft in it.
On the header subject,1 3/4" headers seem to be the ticket with mine. I ran 1 7/8" before thinking they were necessary. My dyno testing lately shows a hole in the torque curve that just does not get made up for up top with the bigger headers.
In anything that launches at or below about 4500 rpm anyway,I am learning to like 1 3/4" headers more and more.
Keith

Re: 430" small block build - 07/17/12 07:45 PM

Same puny 1 5/8" headers?
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: 430" small block build - 07/18/12 03:46 AM

Re: 430" small block build - 07/18/12 05:23 AM

Quote:

Maybe it's just me,but I don't think you will see much of a gain until you put the bigger camshaft in it.
On the header subject,1 3/4" headers seem to be the ticket with mine. I ran 1 7/8" before thinking they were necessary. My dyno testing lately shows a hole in the torque curve that just does not get made up for up top with the bigger headers.
In anything that launches at or below about 4500 rpm anyway,I am learning to like 1 3/4" headers more and more.
Keith

No offense but I disagree that it won't be much gain. I had a 408 that was almost identical to this build, same cam. Went from mild eddies to indybrocks, and gained 4 mph in the 1/4.
So I am going to guess 560-570 horsepower.

Re: 430" small block build - 07/18/12 06:29 PM

Quote:

Same puny 1 5/8" headers?

for now - yes

Re: 430" small block build - 07/18/12 07:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Keith

No offense but I disagree that it won't be much gain. I had a 408 that was almost identical to this build, same cam. Went from mild eddies to indybrocks, and gained 4 mph in the 1/4.
So I am going to guess 560-570 horsepower.

No offense taken! We all have different ideas on what works and why. I just don't think the best exhaust port in the world can move enough air with that cam/header combination. I believe it will need different valve events to make much of a difference. If he steps up the header size before the cam swap,you will most likely see more.
Besides,he is running stockish versus "ported" heads,not Indybrock's with a relocated pushrod pinch. Even if the flow numbers were similar,port volume and air speed isn't
I would think it will move the peaks up the rpm range a few hundred rpm,maybe lose a little torque down low and gain a little horsepower. I don't usually guess numbers on these posts as I'm sure his dyno is slightly different from mine,but I would venture to say a 20 lbs-ft loss down low for 20 hp up top.

Keith

Re: 430" small block build - 07/18/12 08:56 PM

just fyi Dave a 950hp will be the best bet,atleast on my similar motor it loved it to death,something about sb mopars(they love carburation)

Re: 430" small block build - 07/18/12 11:25 PM

Keith, I didn't think about the 1 5/8 headers and what restriction that may have. I was running tti headers on mine.
I figured a fully ported edelbrock may be similar to a indybrock. At least many argue that the flow #s are about the same. But moving the pushrod pinch may have an affect on track times, but not flow bench?
I am still gonna go out on a limb and guess another 40-50 hp.

Re: 430" small block build - 07/19/12 04:16 AM

I don't think it'll pick up much, it may just move it up a little. However I think a good set of bigger headers will pick it up 20-25 hp without any loss of torque .

Re: 430" small block build - 07/21/12 09:54 PM

What's the word,Dave? Just curious if you made it to the dyno or not?
Keith

Re: 430" small block build - 07/21/12 10:27 PM

Yeah Dave...I got another early 360 block lined up that is begging for a long arm, Don't leave us hanging

Re: 430" small block build - 07/22/12 01:02 AM

I don't know all the details, so I will let Dave tell the story, but I do know what it made today before the wussy had to go to a birthday party .

Rod

Re: 430" small block build - 07/22/12 02:11 AM

lol... man did i get my balls busted for having to goto a party today - when the real party was just gettin started.

so as a recap - we have swapped to:

SDSS stage 4 heads,
victor 340 intake - port & gasket match
same headers
same roller cam

ran the 750 & 830 cabs again

made 562 hp @6000
made 557 Ft/lbs at 4600

torque was over 500 ft/ lbs from 3600 to 5800 -

not a bad street strip setup - with nice gains from the stock heads and air gap.. I was expecting a little more but the numbers are what they are.

interesting fact : we went from 1.19 hp/cu to 1.29 hp/cu from the swap
Posted By: meus31

Re: 430" small block build - 07/22/12 03:01 AM

more cam and bigger headers

Re: 430" small block build - 07/22/12 03:18 AM

Nice gain , it picked more than I thought it would. Now put a set if 1 7/8" primary, 3 1/2" colector Heddmans on it and see what it'll make.

Re: 430" small block build - 07/22/12 04:35 AM

cool,better than I thought! Now get back at it!
Keith

Re: 430" small block build - 07/22/12 01:55 PM

Quote:

more cam and bigger headers

actually thats exactly whats up next
Posted By: W5DART66

Re: 430" small block build - 07/22/12 03:10 PM

I would say the intake was most of the change would love to see back to back intake swap.

Re: 430" small block build - 07/22/12 04:12 PM

there were increases in flow as well as port volume, so i dont think it;s all the intake.. but thats just my opinion.

I've got limited time to do alot more testing so I doubt i'll have the time to swap the intake.

Re: 430" small block build - 07/22/12 06:57 PM

Too bad ya dont have a super vic to test, Thanks for the post its been good from the start

Re: 430" small block build - 07/23/12 02:04 AM

Quote:

Too bad ya dont have a super vic to test, Thanks for the post its been good from the start

super victor is part of the recipe for the next test

Re: 430" small block build - 07/23/12 05:57 AM

Nice! I am liking these LA motors more and more

Re: 430" small block build - 07/24/12 03:38 PM

out with the old:

In with the new:

MCH CNC heads - 2.055 in / 1.60 ex
COMP Solid roller - Dur 258/262, Lift .639/645 w/ 1.5's
Ported Eddy Super Victor intake
1000 hp Holley

Going for a 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 step header as well to test

( paint looks red in my pix, but it's orange )

Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: 430" small block build - 07/24/12 04:12 PM

I have the same pan on my engine. How much oil are you running?

Any why the switch between SDSS ported heads and the MCH CNC'd heads? Kind of adds another variable to the equation.

Re: 430" small block build - 07/24/12 04:18 PM

Quote:

out with the old:

In with the new:

MCH CNC heads - 2.055 in / 1.60 ex
COMP Solid roller - Dur 258/262, Lift .639/645 w/ 1.5's
Ported Eddy Super Victor intake
1000 hp Holley

Going for a 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 step header as well to test

( paint looks red in my pix, but it's orange )

I'm going to be curious of this next set up... much
closer to my set up.... got the total specs on the
cam like LSA..... with the header change I think its
gonna really start to show some numbers.... good luck

Re: 430" small block build - 07/24/12 04:26 PM

How much compression does it have now? It would've been great to see the other combo with a different set of headers. Maybe you could run both sets on this configuration for a A to B comparison.

Re: 430" small block build - 07/24/12 04:33 PM

Quote:

I have the same pan on my engine. How much oil are you running?

Any why the switch between SDSS ported heads and the MCH CNC'd heads? Kind of adds another variable to the equation.

I flow tested all 3 heads that will be run on the motor - the MCH's flow the best. as well as more port volume. low lift ( and average cfm ) was a significant increase with the Modern's

Running 6.5 qts

Quote:

I'm going to be curious of this next set up... much
closer to my set up.... got the total specs on the
cam like LSA..... with the header change I think its
gonna really start to show some numbers.... good luck

i'm hoping the paint job alone will get me to 600 - lol

The 600 hp mark is what I am after at this point -

cam :

108 LSA + 4

288/292 @ .020" Duration
258/262 @ .050" Duration
181/185 @ .200" Duration
.426"/.430" Lobe lift
.639"/.645" Advertised Lift with 1.5:1 rockers

Re: 430" small block build - 07/24/12 04:34 PM

Quote:

How much compression does it have now? It would've been great to see the other combo with a different set of headers. Maybe you could run both sets on this configuration for a A to B comparison.

I plant to test a set of 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 steps now that I got them

we are a hair under 11:1 with the CC's of these heads.
I think it's 10.75:1 to be exact, but i cant remember off the top of my head.

Re: 430" small block build - 07/24/12 04:55 PM

108 LSA + 4

288/292 @ .020" Duration
258/262 @ .050" Duration
181/185 @ .200" Duration
.426"/.430" Lobe lift

My cam is similar but with a couple differences..
mine is 105 lsa installed at 105(didnt want the added
torque with advancing it to increase the stall point)
the lift is the same but I have a few more degrees
on the exhaust side... same on the intake... with
basically the same compression.... I know your gonna
have more torque due to the stroke over my set up

Re: 430" small block build - 07/24/12 05:49 PM

What were your numbers?

Re: 430" small block build - 07/24/12 07:16 PM

Quote:

What were your numbers?

Dont know yet... I first put the engine in the car
without any dyno time but had oil issues... this time
I'm going on the dyno so that SHOULD be in about 10
days I figure... waiting on the new rings right now

Re: 430" small block build - 07/24/12 07:35 PM

ok - i was not sure what engine you were referring to.

I'll race ya - I got a head start, but you work quicker.

Re: 430" small block build - 07/24/12 08:30 PM

Quote:

ok - i was not sure what engine you were referring to.

I'll race ya - I got a head start, but you work quicker.

Yeah this is the engine in the Rampage... maybe I should
have worked slower and I wouldnt be where I am..
should have looked the carb over... oh well... its
only money... spend it like you have it...lol

Re: 430" small block build - 07/24/12 09:40 PM

Mr P, I know you built your headers fro the Rampage. What size are they?

Re: 430" small block build - 07/24/12 09:54 PM

Quote:

Mr P, I know you built your headers fro the Rampage. What size are they?

1 7/8" I dont have the lengths off hand but I believe
they are 32" long with a 3 1/2" collector about 18" long...
then I went with 3" exhaust all the way back to
the bumper

Re: 430" small block build - 07/25/12 03:51 AM

How about some flow numbers on all 3 heads? And don't show us some gay graph, we just want to see the numbers.

Rod

Re: 430" small block build - 07/25/12 04:06 AM

Quote:

How about some flow numbers on all 3 heads? And don't show us some gay graph, we just want to see the numbers.

Rod

That's a great idea,especially since you are changing the whole combination. Hard to tell what changes are resulting in the increases

Keith

Re: 430" small block build - 07/25/12 04:26 AM

actually if you have the gay graph post that too...im a visual person...lol...

cheapst..

actually i just read that and it sounds terrible..
i like to see graphs cause they eliminate correction factors and show a decent corrilation to the power graph after dyno-ing..

Re: 430" small block build - 07/25/12 12:40 PM

Quote:

Rod

gay graph as requested

please keep in mind this was all done on the bench at Fonses - it seems to be a little stingy from the advertised numbers, but since they were all done on the same bench I can get a good idea on how things look side by side.

exhaust

intake

Re: 430" small block build - 07/25/12 02:55 PM

Nice chart ,

Thanks for sharing.
Keith

Re: 430" small block build - 07/25/12 03:01 PM

Re: 430" small block build - 07/25/12 03:08 PM

After you guys are seating the rings do you take compression and leak down to get a base for future testing?

Re: 430" small block build - 07/25/12 08:40 PM

best pull of today -

627 hp @6500
560 ft/lbs at 5000

34 deg timing
88/90's in the 1000 hp holley
1 3/4 to 1 7/8 step headers
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: 430" small block build - 07/25/12 08:46 PM

She's making good power now

Re: 430" small block build - 07/25/12 08:47 PM

nuthin like 430 cubes at 7 grand!!!

Re: 430" small block build - 07/25/12 11:28 PM

Who ported the intakes?

Rod

Re: 430" small block build - 07/26/12 12:27 AM

Is the super vic ported? That pup is makin some power with conservative flow #s and cam

Re: 430" small block build - 07/26/12 02:14 AM

Quote:

Is the super vic ported? That pup is makin some power with conservative flow #s and cam

I gasket matched the intake, and also opened up the flange since it had that goofy overlap into it.

All the numbers were low - I'm not sure what caused that but they were all consistently low. The flow sheet from the MCH's add another 10-15 cfm in there and that is from his bench - I believe the test numbers were at 24" on the bench at the shop, but cant confirm that right now. but we did go into this knowing the numbers were low. I figure that since they are all from the same bench you can get a gauge as to how each stacks up against the other under the same conditions.

we had fun today finding hp - started out at 580@ 6500 - was way lean - needed to jet up ( was at 82 & 86 ) and timing was at 30 ( where the other 2 heads liked it AFR was in the high 13's and low 14's - -

next pull had jetted up to 84 & 88 - made 609 @ 6500 - still was lean - about 13.8:1 - gettin there!

Last run of the day was 34 degrees timing and 88's and 90's - thats when we hit 12.5 afr and 627 @6500

Re: 430" small block build - 07/26/12 02:29 AM

Quote:

best pull of today -

627 hp @6500
560 ft/lbs at 5000

34 deg timing
88/90's in the 1000 hp holley
1 3/4 to 1 7/8 step headers

Wow...very impressive Dave!

It would be interesting to see the dyno curves overlayed for the 3 combos...cuz I'm a visual person and I like gay graphs

Re: 430" small block build - 07/26/12 02:33 AM

lol

i'll try to get it together tomorrow
Posted By: Ian

Re: 430" small block build - 07/26/12 03:29 AM

Quote:

108 LSA + 4

288/292 @ .020" Duration
258/262 @ .050" Duration
181/185 @ .200" Duration
.426"/.430" Lobe lift

My cam is similar but with a couple differences..
mine is 105 lsa installed at 105(didnt want the added
torque with advancing it to increase the stall point)
the lift is the same but I have a few more degrees
on the exhaust side... same on the intake... with
basically the same compression.... I know your gonna
have more torque due to the stroke over my set up

similar to my cam too 254/262@050 .200 179 /184 cam lift 430/420 on 107 with 11.2 comp pulls like train with the indys , people over cam there engines some times these size cams are great street/strip cam
well done with the build with great info and graphs ,you will love going down the strip with that combo

Re: 430" small block build - 07/26/12 05:51 AM

Did the Holley 1000 have PVs?

Re: 430" small block build - 07/26/12 12:24 PM

yes 6.5's

Re: 430" small block build - 07/26/12 12:49 PM

Are you going to dyno it with the small tube headers and no other changes? It would be intresting to see how much they would hold it back. Heck, I'd like to see a set of straight 1 7/8" or a 1 7/8" step to 2" to see how it responds.

Re: 430" small block build - 07/26/12 12:53 PM

Quote:

Are you going to dyno it with the small tube headers and no other changes? It would be intresting to see how much they would hold it back. Heck, I'd like to see a set of straight 1 7/8" or a 1 7/8" step to 2" to see how it responds.

yes - i was planning on going from the small stuff, to big, but just went right to the top - will make a few other changes before we start swapping to the small tube headers -

also - we went from 1.19 hp/cu with the stockers, air gap and small headers to 1.49 with the MCH's SVC & big headers...

Re: 430" small block build - 07/26/12 02:15 PM

Quote:

yes 6.5's

Annular or dog leg?

Re: 430" small block build - 07/26/12 02:27 PM

annular i believe

Re: 430" small block build - 07/26/12 03:25 PM

Quote:

annular i believe

From the jetting it sounds more like a dog leg booster?

Re: 430" small block build - 07/26/12 03:30 PM

i'll have to check - it's a 1000hp holley - but i dont have the list number in front of me and the carb is on the engine at the shop.

Re: 430" small block build - 07/27/12 04:42 PM

TEAL - Stock Eddy Head, Air Gap, 1 5/8" headers & small cam
PINK - SDSS Heads, Victor 340, 1 5/8" headers & small cam
WHITE - MCH Heads, Super Vitcor, 1 3/4 to 1 7/8" step headers, & big cam

interesting to see the graph - the torque really moves up and down the RPM range, but stays at the same level.

Re: 430" small block build - 07/27/12 11:41 PM

That's awesome, now you have shown us "Gay Graph" #2. Just kidding, it's nice to see an overlay on the pulls. It shows a good comparison from a street setup to a race application.

Dave,
I would like to commend you for the outstanding photos and overall job you have done. I am proud to tell people that I had some part in this build and the way you went about it shows a great attention to detail. And for that sir, I thank you.

Rod

Re: 430" small block build - 07/29/12 02:22 AM

Thanks Rod - I knew you would come around on the graphs...lol

I spent today changing the oil, cutting the filter, and running the valves....Looks good and all the rockers didnt need adjustment.

Took readings on cranking PSI on all cylinders - the small cam was 145 - 150 range - the big one is in the 135-140 range - i guess the overlap really take a chunk of cranking compression out.

Ran a leakdown test as well - we were in the 5-6% range on all cylinders, so we have a healthy 430 ready for more testing!

Someone asked about the carb - it has annular boosters -

Plugs looked good - timing marks look good...

Posted By: Ian

Re: 430" small block build - 07/29/12 03:21 AM

well done with great info on the build ,what was piston cc and chamber cc

Re: 430" small block build - 07/29/12 03:47 PM

-17cc dish - and the heads were in the 62 / 63 cc range
we have a .045 gasket and are .002 out of the hole
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: 430" small block build - 07/30/12 02:27 AM

nice read.

good numbers too.

what sized valves are in the MCH heads?

Re: 430" small block build - 07/30/12 03:08 AM

Thanks - I appreciate that!

I'd like to pick your brain about a cam for the last setup - what are your thoughts - what would you change?

This sucker still idles at 900 rpm, there is no ports for me to pull a vacuum reading but it's not real choppy -i;ll have to snap a vid

both SD & MCH heads are 2.055 & 1.60 exhausts

I'll have to dig up port volumes as well

Re: 430" small block build - 07/30/12 04:24 PM

Couple vids from this weekend -

430 rev vid

430 startup vid

Re: 430" small block build - 08/03/12 05:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I gasket matched the intake, and also opened up the flange since it had that goofy overlap into it.

All the numbers were low - I'm not sure what caused that but they were all consistently low. The flow sheet from the MCH's add another 10-15 cfm in there and that is from his bench - I believe the test numbers were at 24" on the bench at the shop, but cant confirm that right now. but we did go into this knowing the numbers were low. I figure that since they are all from the same bench you can get a gauge as to how each stacks up against the other under the same conditions.

we had fun today finding hp - started out at 580@ 6500 - was way lean - needed to jet up ( was at 82 & 86 ) and timing was at 30 ( where the other 2 heads liked it AFR was in the high 13's and low 14's - -

next pull had jetted up to 84 & 88 - made 609 @ 6500 - still was lean - about 13.8:1 - gettin there!

Last run of the day was 34 degrees timing and 88's and 90's - thats when we hit 12.5 afr and 627 @6500

Any chance you recorded the high speed air bleeds

Re: 430" small block build - 12/15/12 03:41 PM

Month 1 of the build is posted on the Auto Enthusiast web site.

430 build month 1
Posted By: mshred

Re: 430" small block build - 12/15/12 04:03 PM

Dave you did a real awesome job with this engine man! I have been following along, and I have to say your attention to detail is great! I always put my engines together slowly like this too, mainly due to time...sometimes wish I could get it done faster, but when you take time to check EVERYTHING its worth it, and your results and work just remind me that its the best way to go.

Very B@DA#% motor! Makes me excited to see what my next one will put out

Re: 430" small block build - 12/15/12 08:49 PM

Dave,

I went all back through this and WOW, what an insightful thread.

I'm trying to extrapolate what to expect when I hit the throttle on my 414 after switching from the Eddie SDSS stage 2's over to the Airwolfs.

My motor has a bit more CR but a lower lift 'endurance type' roller with similar duration,

Your power went up nicely (maybe 55-60 hp) above 4900 but was a good bit softer below that break over point.

I'm hoping for a bit broader torque curve sice I've deliberately under stalled the Rocky to keep it straight off the line. I'm hoping it picks up another 50hp by virtue of an another 500/600 rpm without killing much if any bottom end or middle. That's why I haven't altered the cam or intake. We'll see

Re: 430" small block build - 12/17/12 02:28 AM

Wize - I found that the torque curve stayed similar - all had around 560 fy lb peaks, but they moved up as the cam / head / intake setup went up.

My testing was more focused on the 3 big players, as opposed to singling every little item out. The stock heads, with small cam, and stock heads, still made 560 ft lbs, and IIRC most were all 500+ ft lbs through the entire pull.

I wonder if it's splitting hairs at that range, but the torque curves definitely moved up as the hp went up. We pulled it a few times to 7200 with the big setup and man.... there aint a sound better!

Re: 430" small block build - 12/17/12 03:17 AM

I just picked up a virgin 71 360 block and I'm tring to decide between a 4.125 and a 4.25 crank.

I'm going the 414 torque curve will remain the same with just another 500 rpm and more hp up in that range.

Re: 430" small block build - 12/27/12 03:16 PM

Please put this most awesome and informative threads in the Tech Archives!

Thanks!
© 2024 Moparts Forums