Moparts

Ordered parts, credit card / debit card

Posted By: Anonymous

Ordered parts, credit card / debit card - 02/10/03 01:40 PM

charged, but not received parts?

beepbeep
Moparts Member
posted 09-07-2002 10:54 AM

Just a little info I found that may be interesting. YOU DO HAVE RIGHTS.
The Mail or Telephone Order Merchandise Rule

This rule covers merchandise you order by mail, telephone, computer and fax. It requires merchants to have a reasonable basis for claiming they can ship an order within a certain time.

Ship Dates

By law, a merchant should ship your order within the time stated in its ads or over the phone. If the merchant doesn't promise a time, you can expect it to ship your order within 30 days.

The shipment "clock" begins when the merchant receives a "properly completed order." That includes your name, address and payment (check, money order or authorization to charge an existing credit account - whether the account is debited at that time or not).

If the merchant doesn't promise a shipping time and you are applying for credit to pay for your purchase, the merchant has an additional 20 days (50 days total) to establish the account and ship the merchandise.

Delays

If the merchant is unable to ship within the promised time, it must notify you by mail, telephone, or email, give a revised shipping date and give you the chance to cancel for a full refund or accept the new shipping date. The merchant also must give you some way to exercise the cancellation option for free, for example, by supplying a prepaid reply card or staffing a toll-free telephone number.

If you ignore the option notice, and the delay is 30 days or less, it's assumed that you accept the delay and are willing to wait for the merchandise.

If you do not respond - and the delay is more than 30 days - the order must be canceled by the 30th day of the delay period and a full refund issued promptly.

If the merchant can't meet the revised shipping date, it must notify you again by mail, email or telephone and give you a new shipping date or cancel your order and give you a refund.

The order will be canceled and a refund issued promptly unless you indicate by the revised shipping date that you are willing to wait.

If you do not respond at all to the second notice, it's assumed that you are not willing to wait, and a full refund must be issued promptly.

Refunds

If you authorized a charge to your credit card account, the merchant must credit the account within one billing cycle - not give credit toward another purchase. If you pay by cash, check or money order, the merchant must mail you a refund within seven working days.

Tips for Shopping by Phone, Mail or Online

Consider your experience with the company or its general reputation before you order. If you've never heard of the seller, check on its physical location and reputation with the local Better Business Bureau or the state Attorney General's office.

Ask about the company's refund and return policies, the product's availability and the total cost of your order before you place your order.

Get a shipment date.

Keep records of your order, such as the ad or catalog from which you ordered; the company's name, address and phone number; any shipment representation the company made to you and when it made it; the date of your order; a copy of the order form you sent to the company or, if you're ordering by phone, a list of the items and their stock codes and the order confirmation code; your canceled check or the charge or debit statement showing the charge for your order; and any communications to or from the company.

Track your purchases. When you order online, keep printouts of the web pages with the details of the transaction, including the merchant's return policies, in case you're not satisfied.

Contacts for Resolving Problems

If you have other problems with your purchase, try to resolve your dispute with the company. If that doesn't work, the following resources may be helpful:

State and local consumer protection offices. Contact the offices in your home state and where the company is located.

The Direct Marketing Association (DMA). Write:
DMA Mail Order Action Line
1111 19th Street, N.W., Suite 1100
Washington, D.C. 20036-3603

Postal Inspectors. Call your local post office and ask for the Inspector-in-Charge.

Getting More Information

The FTC works for the consumer to prevent fraudulent, deceptive and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop and avoid them. To file a complaint or to get free information on consumer issues, visit www.ftc.gov or call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357); TTY: 1-866-653-4261. The FTC enters Internet, telemarketing, identity theft and other fraud-related complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and abroad.
========================================
Author Topic: FBI.... internet fraud link here!
ph23vo
Moparts Member
posted 09-09-2002 12:36 PM

https://www.ifccfbi.gov/complaint/cf2.asp

====================================

Sainto
Moparts Member
posted 09-07-2002 11:03 AM

I hear you BeepBeep. I ordered a set of 4 bumper guard cushions for my Dart from Fellwock's on July 20. I received confirmation of my order from them on July 20. I have not received anything to date. I have e-mailed them a couple of times and they do not respond. I just want to know if they are going to fulfill the order. It is no fun waiting and not knowing if these guys are going to provide you with their products. I guess I will just assume they are going to make some of these cushions and will ship them soon. I have not checked my credit card billing to see if I have been charged. Guess I will do that now that I know about the "law".

===================================

meepmeep69
Moparts Member
posted 09-07-2002 11:05 AM

Also, visa/mc merchant rules tell a vendor that they cannot charge a card (funds transfer) until the item ships (unless it is special order, deposit, etc.)
Complaining to the CC company will usually get that reversed without any trouble.

==================================
© 2024 Moparts Forums