Moparts

Great Racing Quotes

Posted By: JS29

Great Racing Quotes - 01/10/08 12:18 PM

From a racing website:

Quotes

* Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines. (Enzo Ferrari)
* All I had to do is keep turning left! (George Robson - Winner of the 1946 Indy 500)
* Anyone can drive a fast car, few can drive a car fast.
* Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports...
all the others are games. (Jim Dietz)
* Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls. (Stirling Moss)
* The cost of racing hasn't increased in 30 years. Back then, it took everything you had. And it still does.
* Fast cars drag race, fast drivers road race.
* Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death... (Hunter Thompson)
* Friends don't let friends apex early.
* Horsepower has this tendency to break things. If you're not breaking anything you're not going fast enough.
* I always ask God for blessings of protection on that person in the car, for blessings of protection on the crew as they're attending to the car on pit road. And I always ask for peace of mind for the wife. (Dale Beaver - NASCAR chaplain)
* I don't know driving in another way which isn't risky. Each one has to improve himself. Each driver has its limit. My limit is a little bit further than other's. (Ayrton Senna)
* I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.
* I feel safe when I'm on the racetrack, I really do. I know that I'm surrounded by the best drivers in the world. That's something you can't say when you're driving down the interstate. (Sterling Marlin)
* I feel safer on a racetrack than I do on Houston's freeways. (A. J. Foyt)
* I live my life a quarter mile at a time.
* I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent.
* If I had all the money I'd spent on cars...I'd spend it all on cars.
* If you can't run with the big dogs, Stay on the porch
* If you're going to lead, then lead.
If you're going to follow, get the hell out of my way!
* In the old days drivers were fat and tires were skinny.
* It has been said that motor racing shares in common with sex the distinction of being one of the most popular, most maligned and least understood of human activities.
* It is amazing how may drivers, even at the Formula One Level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down. (Mario Andretti)
* It is not always possible to be the best, but it is always possible to improve your own performance. (Jackie Stewart)
* It's basically the same, just darker. (Alan Kulwicki - on racing Saturday nights as opposed to Sunday afternoons)
* Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150.
* Never drive faster then your guardian angel can fly.
* Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time.
* The number of laps remaining is always one more than the amount of fuel left in the car.
* The number of times you get hit in a pileup is directly proportional to the number of times you said "I think it will go ok today".
* The older I get, the faster I was.
* On the other side of fear there is freedom!
* Once you've raced, you never forget it...and you never get over it. (Richard Childress)
* Oversteer is when your [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean] hits the wall, Understeer is when your face hits the wall!
* Oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers.
* A part never breaks during a test session, only during a race. And the part you need will be the one you left at the shop.
* The price for men in motion is the occasional collision... (Carroll Smith)
* Race car drivers love the fast lane.
* Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win. (Enzo Ferrari)
* Racing is living, everything else is just waiting.
* Racing is the process of turning money into noise.
* Racing's less of a sport these days than a commercial break doing 150 mph. (Peter Dunne)
* Second place is the first loser. (Dennis Anderson)
* The shortest way between two points is a straight line...what's the fun in that?
* Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers.
* A 10-car pileup never happens behind you!
* There's no secret. You just press the accelerator to the floor and steer left. (Bill Vukovich)
* To achieve anything in this game you must be prepare to dabble in the boundary of disaster. (Sterling Moss)
* To finish first, first you have to finish
* What sets these - and all - racers apart from less daredevilish mortals is their complete lack of fear and their joy of doing something on the edge. They love to speed because it is dangerous. (Peter Golenback)
* What's behind you doesn't matter. (Enzo Ferrai)
* When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. (Alain Prost)
* When you win a race your on top that day, so take it for what its worth, have a good time and party, cause the next day when you get out of bed, the meter goes back to zero again. (Bobby Allison)
* Winners win races. Champions make it look easy.
* Wrecks are going to happen in this business, that's just a risk of the sport. If you can't keep from worrying about it, then you're in the wrong line of work. (Coo Coo Marlin)
* You will never know the feeling of a driver when winning a race. The helmet hides feelings that cannot be understood. (Ayrton Senna)
* You win some, you lose some, you wreck some. (Dale Earnhardt)
Posted By: jcc

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/10/08 12:29 PM

All very nice, and most spoken by true racers.
I would add:
1. Don't brake until you see God, just don't meet him
2. Winning by 1/2", is still winning
3. Its more fun to have more horsepower then talent
4. If I caught you, you are slower
5. And I quote this months car Craft "unlike car racing, golf, football, and soccer only require one ball"
6. If Americans were real racers, they would race DOWN Pikes Peak
Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/10/08 12:52 PM

Cool post.

I'll add Rod Hall's line
"In order to finish first you must first finish"
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/10/08 01:09 PM

I'd rather be lucky than good. Don Prudhomme.
Posted By: aarcuda

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/10/08 01:17 PM

those are pretty good!
Posted By: RacerGofKGB

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/10/08 01:19 PM

I have to throw in a days of thunder quote.
Harry Hogge: No, no, he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you... he *rubbed* you. And rubbin, son, is racin'.
Posted By: 69allen

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/10/08 02:02 PM

#3 Buddy Baker speaking of an ill-handling Cup car at Darlington when TNN did the race: "I wouldn't get outta' the electric chair to drive that thing".

#2 Kyle Petty describing Bobby Hillen's point of view after Hillen creamed him during a minor spin-out at Talladega: "Here comes that blind boy again".

#1 Felix Sabates talking about fast race cars(and you have to apply your best Cuban accent when you're reading this): "If money is what makes these cars fast, my cars otta be going 400 miles an hour!".
Posted By: EV2DEMON

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/10/08 02:03 PM

Quote:

* Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines. (Enzo Ferrari)

Sort of ironic when you look at the current Ferrari line.
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/10/08 02:16 PM

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. Mark Donohue
Posted By: SeventyGTX

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/10/08 02:18 PM

Typical saying for a squid at a local circle track - "He hit everything but the snackbar"

Buddy Baker - Bustin' a timin' chain is like throwin' a brick at a clock

Buddy Baker - Passin' Earnhardt is like trying to take a bone out of a Pit Bulls mouth
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/10/08 02:22 PM

"Best way to make a small fortune racing is to start with a big one".

"You're only as good as your next pass."-Bob Glidden
Posted By: Aero426

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/10/08 03:10 PM

My all time favorite.

"If you're in control, you're not going fast enough." - Parnelli Jones
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/10/08 03:22 PM

Quote:

Typical saying for a squid at a local circle track - "He hit everything but the snackbar"

Around here it was "He hit everything but the lottery".
Posted By: da50r

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/10/08 03:58 PM

Stay flat and steer a lot.
Posted By: ksj

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/10/08 04:08 PM

John Wiebe "Theres a light at the end of the tunnel"
Don Garlits "John,Its a train"
Posted By: OutsideGroove

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/10/08 04:08 PM

Saw this on a shirt at Darlington years ago.

Some Fear... if you got No Fear your not going fast enough!

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/10/08 04:11 PM

2 that kind of irk me a little. 2nd place is the first loser? Really, what if you ran 2nd in any known series in EVERY race? What's the chance you will win the championship? I rest my case.

The other is " you gotta crash or spin to find the limit". Jeff Gordon said once, " to find the lmiit is just an ugly lap where you get wide and wobbly, you don't need to take such a big bite that you cross the line and crash the car".
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/10/08 04:26 PM

"Only meant to rattle his cage a little bit"- Dale Earnhardt after putting Terry Labonte in the wall at Bristol. Too bad junior dont drive like daddy.
Posted By: slantvaliant

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/10/08 04:30 PM

"Parts don't break. We break them" - Carroll Smith

"Mr. Bentley - He builds fast trucks." - E. Bugatti

"It was very fast in a certain kind of turn. Unfortunately, none of the tracks had that kind of turn."
Posted By: Orange_Crush

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/10/08 04:44 PM

Quote:

Actually, I think that quote was originally spoken by Ernest Hemingway.
Posted By: Aero426

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/10/08 04:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You are correct, sir. It was Hemmingway.

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/10/08 05:07 PM

Quote:

* When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. (Alain Prost)

Alain Prost is one of the race car drivers that I most admire. He is absolutely right with that quote.
Posted By: Mooosman

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/10/08 05:16 PM

"Turbochargers are for people who can't build engines."---Keith Duckworth, Cosworth Engines

"The guys that are winning are the guys standing on the biggest pile of parts!"

Nick
Posted By: Lil Demon

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/10/08 05:20 PM

Those are all awesome - thanks for posting them. I'll add to the list with one of my favs from Jim Dunn (1972):
"Why worry about death, it'll come sooner or later."

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/10/08 05:22 PM

Quote:

"Only meant to rattle his cage a little bit"- Dale Earnhardt after putting Terry Labonte in the wall at Bristol. Too bad junior dont drive like daddy.

What? Just wrecking people left and right with no reguard for their life or safety? I hated Big E for this reason and often said he's gonna kill somebody some day. No doubt, he's on my top 5 best ever list, and I respect that, but people who cheered his suckerpunch behavior always floored me. He never messed with Bill Elliot after Bill rammed him after a race. he never messed with Tim Richmomd wither. Mark Martin would wreck trying to get out of Big E's way. And Nascar let it go on amazed me too!

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/10/08 05:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Alain Prost is one of the race car drivers that I most admire. He is absolutely right with that quote.

Prost's should have been: "When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. And when I look scared, it means Senna is passing me again." (Alain Prost)

I'm just trying to make a funny. He was a phenomenal driver.
Posted By: Dick H.

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/10/08 05:43 PM

"'Cause you don't hit the wall as hard when you screw up." - Richard Petty, when asked why he usually drove the high line, next to the wall.

"Make that 11!" - Smokey Yunick, (while driving away with no gas tank) after being told his car was disqualified from the Daytona race for having 10 violations.

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/10/08 06:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What? Just wrecking people left and right with no reguard for their life or safety? I hated Big E for this reason and often said he's gonna kill somebody some day. No doubt, he's on my top 5 best ever list, and I respect that, but people who cheered his suckerpunch behavior always floored me. He never messed with Bill Elliot after Bill rammed him after a race. he never messed with Tim Richmomd wither. Mark Martin would wreck trying to get out of Big E's way. And Nascar let it go on amazed me too!

I guess the reason I liked Earnhardts driving is the fact I'd be the same type of driver in a Cup car. I always liked his "do whatever it takes to win" attitude.

Heres another quote......

"Shake and bake!"- Talledaga Nights
Posted By: Ponch

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/10/08 07:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You are correct, sir. It was Hemmingway.

I think that one is apocryphal...

Anyway, one of my favorites is from the late great soccer legend Pete Best(used to be my sig, in fact):

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I just squandered"
Posted By: Ponch

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/10/08 07:05 PM

And don't forget the modern classic:

"American is all about speed. Hot, Nasty, Badass speed" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/11/08 01:08 AM

and without this quote, all these great quotes would not exist:
"auto racing began 5 minutes after the second car was built"~Henry Ford
Posted By: 72d100

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/11/08 01:11 AM

-If ya aint first,Your last- Ricky Bobby

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/11/08 01:35 AM

Quote:

-If ya aint first,Your last- Ricky Bobby

Somehow I knew that was going to get in here, I respectively object, that is a MOVIE quote, nothing to do with racing ( But FWIW, I thought the movie was pretty funny )
Posted By: maxie

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/11/08 01:41 AM

John Force saying he saw elvis at the 300ft mark.

second place is the first loser
Posted By: Butt Ugly

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/11/08 01:42 AM

Can't offer a quote but I recall some one saying in an interview after backing it in to the wall

" Seems I got a little behind with my steering"

or something in that regard, please feel free to correct me or post the actual quote
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/11/08 02:00 AM

Posted By: restoman

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/11/08 02:26 AM

"Got run over by a Bug-Eyed Dummy" Sterling Marlin after getting hit by Greg Biffle.
Good old Sterling, not only can he drive, he's got a way with words.
Posted By: 5spdcuda

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/11/08 02:29 AM

Road racers motto: shiny side up.

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/11/08 02:30 AM

Quote:

second place is the first loser

So if Jeff Gordon ran 2nd in evry Cup race in the season he'd probably be a loser? uhhh, he'd prolly win the Championship. I know you did not make it up, so I am not poking sticks at you personally, but that is such a negative statement....
Posted By: RoadRnnr69

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/11/08 02:33 AM

Quote:

"Make that 11!" - Smokey Yunick, (while driving away with no gas tank) after being told his car was disqualified from the Daytona race for having 10 violations.

It was "13" violations.
My favorite was #1 on the list, "Replace tube chassis with factory chassis"

That car was 7/8 scale, he was a genious!!!!

"As far as cheating goes, they'll never stop it. The only way it can be done successfully, only one person can know about it.” Smokey Yunick

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/11/08 02:38 AM

Many years ago Dick Trickle was asked what racing at Windchester Speedway was like and he answered "It's like flying jet fighters in a gymnasium"

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/11/08 02:44 AM

I cant imagine growing up with a name like Dick Trickle.

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/11/08 02:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Prost's should have been: "When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. And when I look scared, it means Senna is passing me again." (Alain Prost)

I'm just trying to make a funny. He was a phenomenal driver.

HA...Senna was not fit to wash Prost's Nomex codpiece.

Seriously though...I have always felt that someone should write a book about the Senna/Prost rivalry. IMHO, one of the greatest rivalries in the history of motorsports.
Posted By: LilRedDave

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/11/08 03:04 AM

This one can be used in everyday life:

"There are two ways to do this... My way and the Wrong way." - Dale Earnhardt

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/11/08 03:06 AM

Quote:

Seriously though...I have always felt that someone should write a book about the Senna/Prost rivalry. IMHO, one of the greatest rivalries in the history of motorsports.

, but If I remember right, rain is what seperated the two.
Posted By: 56_Royal_Lancer

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/11/08 03:09 AM

"You can't fix stupid" - Larry Morgan,NHRA Pro Stock driver

Attached picture 4098014-lancerburnoutsig.gif
Posted By: hemiheadNC

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/11/08 04:46 AM

..." by the grace of GOD and 700 horse power"...tag line for the NASCAR modifieds....

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/11/08 07:06 AM

"It don't mean [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean] right now... Daddy's won here 10 times."
- Dale Earnhardt Jr.

“You're not a racing driver, you're a f***ing idiot!”
- Ayrton Senna yelling at Jordan’s Eddie Irvine after the 1993 Japanese Grad Prix

“I’ve had a jackass driving for me, and now I am rid of him.”
- Junior Johnson commenting on Darrell Waltrip's switch to Hendricks after the '86 season.

"It's the last straw for Roush Racing. We're officially retiring as Kurt Busch's apologists effective today."
- Geoff Smith, Roush Racing president after the team suspended Kurt Busch

“You know, when Arnold Palmer came on TV with an old tractor and told me to buy Pennzoil, I bought that, and when Dale Jarrett advertises UPS, I can go along with that, too. But I don’t think having an 18-year-old, somebody who’s probably gotten five packages in his life and they were all ‘Girls Gone Wild’ videos, tell me what delivery service I should use would have much effect on me.”
- Kyle Petty

“If you don't cheat, you look like an idiot; if you cheat and don't get caught, you look like a hero; if you cheat and get caught, you look like a dope. Put me where I belong.”

- Darrell Waltrip

"The winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose."
- Dale Earnhardt
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/11/08 02:23 PM

Quote:

"You can't fix stupid" - Larry Morgan,NHRA Pro Stock driver

Larry lifted that from Ron White.

In drag racing 2nd place is the last loser, not the first.

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/11/08 02:32 PM

I vote for and say this thread has achieved "Best of Moparts" ranking
Posted By: Lugnutz

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/11/08 02:32 PM

Not a racing quote but I like what Brady said when that fool from Pittsburg guarnteed a win over the Patriots......"Well done is better then well said"
Posted By: Pntastar69

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/11/08 02:37 PM

"Have you thumped a Ford Lately"

Pro Stock driver Tony Christian beating Bob Glidden in the final, sometime in the late 80's.
Posted By: SeventyGTX

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/11/08 02:48 PM

More Buddy Baker quotes.....

Jeff Gordon's handling down the straightaways.

Ernie Irvan could go bear hunting with a switch. He ain't never afraid

With ten to go, I didn't have a code of ethics

Wally Dallenbach's like a kite without a tail out there

You can tell that you're in trouble when you feel the air on the back of your neck instead of in your face

I got hit in the head pretty hard. My clock ran backward's for two years

On a newly re-paved Darlington - "The new asphalt is like putting a tuxedo on a rattlesnake"

With reference to a driver in the Pro Truck race - "He ran out of talent about halfway through the corner"

Buddy was interviewed after a superspeedway race in which he drove through a smoke screen full of wrecked cars. The comentator praised his skillful driving...Buddy's
response "it's amazing what you can do with your eyes closed"

On Rick Hendrick and Felix Sabates - "Well I don't know which one has more money but I'll tell you what. Either one could burn a wet mule with hundred dollar bills"
Posted By: MFR440

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/11/08 03:07 PM

Quote:

I am sure the Earnhardt fans don't remember this one:
I believe the next race was Pocono, and Jeremy Mayfield tagged Earnhardt in the last turn of the last lap, forcing Earnhardt to get loose, and allowing Mayfield to pass him for the win. Afterwards, Earnhardt flipped Mayfield "the bird" on the cool-down lap...Mayfields' response from victory lane "I just wanted to rattle his cage a little bit".

One of my favorite NASCAR moments!

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/11/08 03:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

, but If I remember right, rain is what seperated the two.

You are correct. In addition to rain mastery, Senna was a complete master at qualifying and Monaco.

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/11/08 03:15 PM

"If you want the possibility for a great big wreck with 30 cars, the rules work great."
Tony Stewart comments on the revised nascar rules

"After the third flip, I lost control............"
Don Roberts after crashing in the Jade Grenade at New England Dragway in 1975.

"Alcohol is for drinking, gas is for cleaning parts, and nitro is for racing!"
original author unknown, used by Gene Adams and Don Garlits among others

"We worked 80 hour weeks for 30 years to keep from having to get a real job." "T.C".
Tom Lemon's comment on the rigors of being a drag racing touring professional in the 'Golden Years' of drag racing.

"See that helmet, It will fit your head too MOTHER ****ER!"
Connie Kalitta to a strip owner with no lights at night after the finish line and insisting that Connie make a full pass in a match race. Courtesy of Roy Steffey.

Count to five and duck."
Said to Don Ewald by Fred Smith after they replaced a broken rod/piston with a counter weight on the crank to make a final round.

"I quit."
Don Prudhomme after the final round at the 1969 US Nationals when Nicoll's car was cut in half and passed in front of him.

"I know that son-of-a-[Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean] is cheatin! Cause, I'm cheatin and he beat me"!
Unknown from long ago

When building engines I have found the piston to ground clearence to be ever so critical."
Geri Tarvin
Posted By: 57Plymouth

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/11/08 03:36 PM

The most famous words in racing?

It's not "Gentlemen, start your engines."

It's "Andretti slows on the back stretch."

Re: Great Racing Quotes - 01/11/08 04:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I am sure the Earnhardt fans don't remember this one:
I believe the next race was Pocono, and Jeremy Mayfield tagged Earnhardt in the last turn of the last lap, forcing Earnhardt to get loose, and allowing Mayfield to pass him for the win. Afterwards, Earnhardt flipped Mayfield "the bird" on the cool-down lap...Mayfields' response from victory lane "I just wanted to rattle his cage a little bit".

One of my favorite NASCAR moments!

Still cant believe NASCAR let Mayfield by with a stunt like that. They should've took points away and suspended his butt for at least 2 races.
© 2024 Moparts Forums