Moparts

K&N Flow Control

Posted By: AndyF

K&N Flow Control - 10/15/06 04:56 AM

Anyone use one of these? I just picked up the version for a Dominator carb. I'll give it a try next time I take the engine to the dyno. The last K&N stub stack I tried was a major failure. Hopefully this one works better.

Attached picture 2992012-KNengine.jpg

Re: K&N Flow Control - 10/15/06 04:58 AM

Here is what it looks like on the inside.

Attached picture 2992015-KNinside.jpg

Re: K&N Flow Control - 10/15/06 05:01 AM

Here is the lid. It has a big airflow vane that hangs down in the center. I guess the theory is that the air will be directed down into the carb by this vane.

Attached picture 2992020-KNlid.jpg
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: K&N Flow Control - 10/15/06 05:16 AM

That is something I haven't seen yet, interesting. Please let us know the results. I have tested the Extreme lid on the engine dyno and lost 8 hp both times we tested it and lost .03 to .04 by not running it on the car at the track. Go figure, I guess that backs up the WJ saying that its good that we don't race dynos.

Re: K&N Flow Control - 10/17/06 07:01 PM

I take the lack of posts to mean either a lack of interest or maybe nobody has seen this setup before. Either way I'm going to test it on the dyno next chance I get and we'll see what happens.
Posted By: Jesse_Lackman

Re: K&N Flow Control - 10/17/06 07:29 PM

I tested one of those on a restricted engine 350SBC with a 4412. It made ten or so hp difference which is quite a bit in a restricted engine. From what I remember we had to change the jetting a few sizes. I wonder if it would make as much difference where you have enough carb.
Posted By: Azzkikrcuda

Re: K&N Flow Control - 10/17/06 08:01 PM

The one's for the edelbrocks are junk, they screw up the metering. The holley one's work good though. I have seen engines pick up a few hp with them.
Posted By: Dap

Re: K&N Flow Control - 10/17/06 08:11 PM

That is the air filter I run on my car. It was an improvement over the top feed uni filter I was using. Tomorrow at Atco I was planning on making back to back passes with the two as well as swapping out the team-G for the Victor with the adaptor.

Attached picture 2997856-Duster3.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: K&N Flow Control - 10/17/06 08:11 PM

Ive got one for the 4150 for sale, hint hint. I noticed no gain. it fits over the carb stud not an enclosed air box like above.I cant use it with my x-top and k&n base. BTW nice car DAP!
Posted By: OriginalRT

Re: K&N Flow Control - 10/17/06 08:22 PM

I have always used the 16" machined aluminum drop base air cleaner from C&S on my dominator. My car has tyically gone slower w/o the air cleaner.

I have not seen what you have and would be interested in knowing what you find out
Posted By: MegaDart

Re: K&N Flow Control - 10/18/06 01:12 AM

Dap, I will be interested in your testing.
I have a K & N extreme assembly on the Dart and had thought of changing to the Uni filter for aerodynamics. I may just have to put a hood scoop on and ditch the filter idea...

Attached picture 2998430-DSCN0605.JPG
Posted By: Dustedu

Re: K&N Flow Control - 10/18/06 01:18 AM

ahhhhh, whats it do with a scoop! anyone tried it with one?
Posted By: moper

Re: K&N Flow Control - 10/18/06 12:35 PM

Quote:

ahhhhh, whats it do with a scoop! anyone tried it with one?

I'd think it would really positively effect a scoop setup.
Posted By: cudabunch

Re: K&N Flow Control - 10/18/06 01:06 PM

I can see why the uni would not work well with your hood,unless it is sealed,the rear of a uni stops air from comming in, whereas the K&N would let it come in from the rear
Posted By: cudabunch

Re: K&N Flow Control - 10/18/06 01:07 PM

Quote:

Dap, I will be interested in your testing.
I have a K & N extreme assembly on the Dart and had thought of changing to the Uni filter for aerodynamics. I may just have to put a hood scoop on and ditch the filter idea...

Pro stock big O scoop would look great on your dart
Posted By: MegaDart

Re: K&N Flow Control - 10/18/06 01:56 PM

ya but I really don't like the big obtrusive scoops anymore. Besides, my hood is cut for hat injection which I would love to run in the future, just not sure how it with throttlestop. I think the uni's look much cooler than K & N setup, need to be sure they are NOT TOO restrictive.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: K&N Flow Control - 10/18/06 03:53 PM

I have run the K&N filter a couple of times. Never tested it against anything else though. I just prefer to run an air filter on my cars, juts like I prefer mufflers to open headers. IMO any air filter is a good thing..
Posted By: His and Her 69's

Re: K&N Flow Control - 10/18/06 11:29 PM

I had one of these at one time because I couldn't fit my hood on with the 2" spacer to run the dominator. I never did any tests because without the hood I had to have an air cleaner on. Mine was a reg circle base that did Not contour with the venturies, it was like a reg air cleaner base. I can't do any test for you with it because I loaned it to my buddy with the 64 gold polara in the KOS racing and he had 2 NOS backfires and now it is kind of broken apart. The lid does fly off the car pretty good, he didn't have a hood on at the time because the backfires busted his scoop on the hood. It is all fixed now he had a NOS selinoid that was bad.
Posted By: RobR

Re: K&N Flow Control - 10/18/06 11:36 PM

I have one...
On the dyno the engine that I tried it on lost 12 hp ...4150 style carb
Posted By: CRE2004

Re: K&N Flow Control - 10/19/06 02:47 AM

Quote:

I have one...
On the dyno the engine that I tried it on lost 12 hp ...4150 style carb

Rob, was that versus no air cleaner at all or comparing it to something else?
Mike
Posted By: RobR

Re: K&N Flow Control - 10/19/06 12:29 PM

Mike...that was no air cleaner at all.
© 2024 Moparts Forums