Moparts

E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...?

Posted By: Alan

E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/24/06 06:48 AM

Interesting item...

I was reading the Raceway News free paper that they hand out at E-town (May 21 edition) - I direct your attention to page 8, the text of which I copy below:

Mopar Atlantic Nationals Destined to be an Unforgettable Event

The staff and management of Raceway Park are committed to bringing the Mopar Atlantic Nationals Back to its past glory of the 1990's. Many factors have contributed to what might be conceived as a downhill spiral including poor weather and the changing climate with the Mopar enthusiasts. Many new ideas are being discussed and gone over, some of which are tried and true ideas from the glory days of this event including the $10,000 Hemi Shootout, late model Mopar muscle classes and more. The track is committed to the success of this event. Many people will be working on this event to ensure it will be a must-see in the Mopar world. All Mopar racers, show participants, fans and vendors who have comments or ideas are welcome to email the track at info@etownrcwy.com or call 732-446-7800. We will also be monitoring the moparts.com message board. Once again, we are committed to bringing the the Mopar Atlantic Nationals back to prominence.

So there you have it... not exactly a full-page ad in The New York Times, but it seems like someone cared enough to put the statement in print somewhere...

I will be the first to mention - having been involved in arranging the Moparts.com hospitality tent for this event for a number of years now - that the event organizers (Jack Koziol in particular) have been very responsive and accomodating as we have moved and expanded our spaces for this event. Raceway Park management clearly is supportive in this capacity, as the vendor registration and space allocation and so on always seems to be handled very well - access to the track and vendor areas is good, and there's plenty of room for everyone - so unless any other vendors have a comment here, I'd personally say this area is not the weak spot.

The racing generally seems to be well participated in, although noticably lighter in entries this year - as I am not directly involved in racing, I hope others reading this might expand on whether there can be improvements in this part of the event.

From my perspective, the biggest improvement needs to be in including some "attractions" as has been done quite well in years past - I remember Garlits, Muldowney, Ekstrand, Maverick, Landy and Riggle all being there (including machines) at various times over the events history - granted, as the years tick by, there is not an endless source of living legends that continue to be available (or still with us), but there's got to be a few possibilities still out there... sorry, Galen Govier just doesn't cut it for me as a attraction...

Maybe getting some involvement with D-C would be a good idea...? ~What with the new retro Chally due out soon(?), you'd think they'd want to mingle it up with those that sort of at least remember what one was... and could talk it up enough that Mikey Mustang might think about jumping ship.

Any other ideas for this show....? Remember, they're "monitoring"...

- Alan
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/24/06 07:40 AM

Chrysler's involvement would be nice. They bring the new stuff to Carlisle and give you a chance at a goofy 5min test drive at 6 mph through show cars. Why not bring them here and let people drive them on a better course? They have the room - doesn't have to be motorkhana (sp) or 50 mph but a nice little cruise around would be cool.
Posted By: MPerry

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/24/06 11:24 AM

I noticed that when flipping through it Saturday night.

I definately believe they are trying but need to concentrate on organization! (That and a little help from mother nature!!!)

A great show can't be a success if its thrown together in a short period of time.

I'm not sure who handles the show setup but they should start planning for next year now and be prepared to advertise! ~Mike~

BTW: I honestly think this show would have had a better turnout if it weren't for the gloomy looking weather prediction! ~Mike~
Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/24/06 11:27 AM

Quote:

BTW: I honestly think this show would have had a better turnout if it weren't for the gloomy looking weather prediction! ~Mike~

thats just something that i think people are gonna have to deal with... just always seems to be an iffy weekend for weather....
Posted By: BergmanAutoCraft

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/24/06 11:39 AM

Personally, except for racing the never liked the E town show. Getting in/out of the place is usually a nightmare of some type. Attendance has been terrible last time I went (3 years ago). Parking on asphalt also sucks. Mostly, I found the people not too nice in general. I've had much better experiences once you get out of the NY area; ie. Carlisle.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/24/06 01:01 PM

Yes,some improvements need to be done...they;ve got to get the word out on the show a lot earlier each year,be more accomadating to the racers,driving all the way down to the airplane hangers was a hassle,having to pit where we pitted sucked,please put us closer to the staging lanes!!come up with a better give away then a crate motor And prep the track a lot better!!!We look forward to this event every year but its really getting hard to be excited anymore.....
Posted By: DodgeCharger

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/24/06 01:15 PM

The biggest problem I see is that no one comes to this event anymore. I went on Sunday. If it wouldn't have been for the drag racing the show would have been a total waste of my time. The location is great. The have plenty of room and a first class drag strip. But there were very few vendors and swap meet spaces filled. There were very few cars in the show field. I would be supprised if they have a show next year?
Posted By: jeff968

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/24/06 01:21 PM

I have been a long time attendee of this event and we make the 2+ hour trip down from CT. I would suggest that they try for a weekend when there are not other competing Mopar events. i recall that this show used to be in June. they should consider moving it back. There was a mopar show in MA and PA this past weekend as well. It is a pain to get out of the event but I don't know if there is anything that can be done about that (traffic). We always have a good time but i liked it better when it was bigger. I know there are many more nice mopars in local NJ. I don't know why they don't show up.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/24/06 01:24 PM

Quote:

i think the timing of the event has alot to do with it , moving it INTO a more rain prone time , earlier in the spring , was NOT very bright on someones part ...

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/24/06 01:30 PM

it was always the weekend after memorial day i believe.. they probably put a show that actually gets people to come out on that weekend... the mopar show is stuck where it is..
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/24/06 01:31 PM

Quote:

it was always the weekend after memorial day i believe.. they probably put a show that actually gets people to come out on that weekend... the mopar show is stuck where it is..

the weekend after memorial day was usually very packed on sunday , people came , its really gone down hill since they moved it into the winter

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/24/06 01:32 PM

Quote:

driving all the way down to the airplane hangers was a hassle,having to pit where we pitted sucked,please put us closer to the staging lanes!!

i didn't see any johnny on the spots or bath rooms where they put the race cars.. looks like the racers had to walk a mile to the bathroom...
Posted By: moper

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/24/06 01:34 PM

The reason it was moved was so the NHRA meet wouldnt be a rainout every year. So now what..it rains every other there. Poor choice, but in terms of $$, understandable for the track. I talked to a couple of guys who did go, and the talk was the same. Very small, rain on and off, and the large caravans that used to go, were reduced to 1-2 cars. We used to go with at least 10 cars. Most of our group this year stayed home because of the weather, too busy, or just not enough draw to get them to spend the $500 on the weekend. Track prep is always iffy when it rains, and more so when it's not a heavy racer day. The vender area gets vacant becuase of NJ's tax deal. I dont know if they still appear or what, but I wouldnt sell there because of it. The secret is, get the word out, and get lucky to have decent weather. If you have that, then it will start to grow again. The community hasnt changed much IMO, 'cept getting older. The even took a serious down turn a few years back. Like the first year it wasnt in June.
Posted By: BrianShaughnessy

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone. - 05/24/06 02:00 PM

In the 80's/90's when it was in June it was sometimes brutally hot there. So now it's not but there's a better chance of rainout. I appreciate the less brutal heat compared to the early years.

Bringing it in has the effect not only on weather, but that some people still haven't gotten their cars on the road for the year yet.

As for the event... I see it suffering more from bad mouthing here than anywhere else. It's a 275 mile round trip for me and I did it. My coil fried at the registration booth and the car was dead for awhile but I think I had more fun than half the people here in spite of it.

If people come, vendors will come... simple as that.

Some nit-picking I could do:

1. The kids at the gate standing around while the line to get in is as long as the dragstrip. They didn't even open up all 3 lanes. I think it took upwards of a 1/2 hour to get into the place once on the property. Who decided to bring the spectators with the minivans into the same lines as unregistered participants? (yeah... I think my coil would have gotten me home if it hadn't been sitting frying waiting to get in.). Oh yeah... security made us open trunks too!

2. Saturday: $25 to show, 1 trophy per class. Why not just eliminate categories and do top 50 or whatever... it was supposed to be populist voting anyway.
Might as well have a non judged category to just park inside the area and not worry about it.

3. Food costs too much (but I'm glad they upgraded the Burger girls!!! ).

4. Reserved for later. I'm sure I'll think of something else to complain about.

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone. - 05/24/06 02:21 PM

Quote:

Oh yeah... security made us open trunks too!

They do that to ensure that no glass bottle come onto the property. THey don't want glass littering the pits.
Posted By: 05dakota

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/24/06 02:28 PM

the dates were swapped with the NHRA national event.

Quote:

Posted By: MRVCODE

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone. - 05/24/06 02:30 PM

I went this past weekend both days and had a great time even drove my cars there both days(6 pack vert & Hemi vert) & got caught in the rain, I think it is not marketed correctly IMO and I think the fact that the local hobbyists in the Tri state area that dont even bother making an effort to attend this show is pathetic! Think about all the local Mopar clubs in NY,NJ,PA the show can be massive, I go to a lot of local cruise nights in & around the Englishtown area, Jackson, Whiskey, Route 9 shows, S.I. etc and there are a ton of rare and cool Mopars that never even bother attending the show, but they wont think twice about attending the same old BORING weekly cruise with terrible music and same cars every week.

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone. - 05/24/06 02:32 PM

So the gate situation hasnt changed in 4 years. And they wonder why "bad mouthing" occurs. As far as distance, there were plenty in our group who came from as far as Canada, so it's not distance, it's draw. I need a return on investment for my time and $$. I like to photograph the race cars, the matcg racers, etc, And I like to race my/a car if possible...I rarely bring my car out anymore, so when I do, I want to run it. Not sit in the lanes, or sit in tech, and then sit in the noise tester line, then get 3 runs in maybe. That's what it was the last time I trailered. Then i had trouble coming home, and that was it. No more E town until I get a good reference. I hear the racing was better, because the car count was down. But that's necessarily a good thing. I didn tmind waiting for "king of the Street" cars to run..I do mind waiting for cleanup from the 87 diplomat that leaked tranny oil down the center of the track because tech didnt look closely enough.
Posted By: Old_Moparz

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone. - 05/24/06 02:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Oh yeah... security made us open trunks too!

They do that to ensure that no glass bottle come onto the property. THey don't want glass littering the pits.

They're checking for alcohol as well, it's against the law to have it at a race track in NJ.

As far as the show going down hill a bit, I agree. I understand expenses have gone up over the years, but the vending space prices are rediculous here & most other places these days. The days of $35 spaces are gone, but when a space reaches upwards of being close to $100, & then add the higher fuel costs, forget it.

I've never missed the show until they started switching dates. The cold & the rain are a minimal factor for me personally, but Mother's Day, Memorial Day, & a ton of birthdays kill my chances now. Every weekend in May is filled, so a car show won't fit in easy. Factor in the high cost & the bad weather & I'd rather stay home.

Bringing back some decent door prizes & a give-away-car might help too, it won't hurt.

Posted By: BigEdsGarage

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/24/06 02:45 PM

First of all I think it is a good sign that the track recognizes the fact that the event has been lacking the past few years. Kudos to them for taking the effort to publicly address that. Here is an opportunity to have some input.

I didn't go this year because of weather once again. It seems every year that the weather is an issue. That is a fact. Will the track change the date...don't know, but I think it would help.

I think that any event will have areas where people can complain and find faults with. I am just amazed at how many people have been bashing the Mopar event at E Town. I for one am glad that someone puts on such a show for us Mopar fans. If we feel the need to complain then we should do it in a helpful way so that Raceway Park can improve the event. I can talk to 10 different guys and have 10 different complaints.
The car show was small, the vendors were to limited, the prices were too high on parts, the lanes were unorganized, the pits get too hot.....and the list goes on. I guess it depends on what you are looking for in an event. I look at it as an opportunity to get out and have some fun either with or without the car. I don't have many expectations other than that. I know the traffic is going to be bad, I know it is going to cost me some coin, I know there are a bunch of things that may not be perfect. But I also know that it is still better than sitting home complaining about it. I don't know whats going on but it sure stinks to hear everybody bad mouthing every event that is out there. Whether it's E Town, Ohio, Carlisle, wherever.....something is always a problem for us. It's getting old already. If we keep this kind of mentality up we may find these events just fade away. And then with no events to go to we will complain about that. Just get out there and have fun guys!
Posted By: AdamR

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone. - 05/24/06 02:50 PM

I think a lot of it has to do with people bad mouthing the show. You get a group of people that say "the show stinks dont go", then you get a larger group that says " I heard the show stinks I'm not going to go". Before you know it you have 200 people from a certain web site that arent gonna show up.

The show is only going to be as good as people that are attending. Dont complain, just go and have a good time. The more people that go, the more venders will show up the following year and the more E-Town will put in to the show.
Posted By: DodgeCharger

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/24/06 03:02 PM

I have looked over some of the posts here and some of the problem maybe the location. In Jersey. Taxes,traffic,sound ordinance. I don't know who promotes these shows but maybe a change in venue is in order. Maple Grove Raceway in Pa is a much nicer drag strip with a large grass area for car show cars. Just an Idea. It would be nice to keep this Mopar show on the East Coast. The only other large show we have is Carlisle.
I don't know if Englishtown can be revived. I could only get one person to go with me to the show this weekend. 15 years ago every Mopar I knew in the area would go to this show.
Posted By: CJK440

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone. - 05/24/06 03:02 PM

Quote:

They're checking for alcohol as well, it's against the law to have it at a race track in NJ.

I had a cold one in the beer garden.

I went as a spectator on Saturday. Went with my father and took my daughter. One of the swap guys was kind enough to let my 2 year old sit in the Mopar Jr. Dragster for pics.

I enjoyed it. I liked that I didn't have to walk all the way around the track to get to my car, maybe they could have swapped the pits for spectator parking.

I saw more mopar vendors than any local swap meet. Prices were high but they are mopars right?? I bought a bunch of stuff.

Bathrooms were neat, burger girls were pretty, things seemed sorta organized. I was able to drive in to pickup some seats and a couple trannies and then I kinda forgot where I was and left my truck parked over in the huge empty pit area by the fuel station. Ooops

Yeah the line at the gate sucked, easy fix for those interested in doing something about it.

All in all, I drove 2 hours one way and had fun.

I agree with BigEd, all badmouthing it is going to do is kill the event. If you don't like it, don't go. Sounds too dam simple.

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/24/06 03:23 PM

I just noticed responses that some people won't attend because they have heard others didn't like it. That might be partially true, but I don't think that's a good reason for someone to avoid the show. They need to base it on their own experience, & not follow the herd like sheep. Opinions vary, so I personally never take an opinion too seriously on a show's quality.

I've been to a lot of different shows since I first started going to them on my own around 1980. The ones that were the best were the ones that didn't treat you like they didn't care if you came back. My favorite place to go for any show is Carlisle, I just wish they had a 1/4 mile track there or nearby. (Sorry, 1/8 mile tracks don't do it for me.)

I like the Englishtown show much better than the Mopar Nationals in Ohio because it's better organized & has a less chaotic feel as you roam around. There is also a distance factor for me, but in general the E-Town show is better. A lot of the bigger shows should take a lesson from Carlisle when it comes to creatiing an excellent atmosphere for a show.

As for car show food, well, they all taste like overpriced garbage when you let a low bidder for the concession operations cook dogmeat. You want to taste some good food? Go to the fall show in Hershey where individual vendors set up, & not one vendor does all. There was a vendor there selling real crab cake sandwiches, & not dried up hockey pucks wrapped in foil.

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone. - 05/24/06 03:27 PM

Quote:

Bringing back some decent door prizes & a give-away-car might help too, it won't hurt.

They gave away a crate motor.

The giveaway car probably won't help - they're not going to pass out a 69 Charger or something like that realistically. Look at the grief Carlisle gets for theirs and they have a lot more show profit to play with.

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/24/06 03:34 PM

Quote:

I am just amazed at how many people have been bashing the Mopar event at E Town. I for one am glad that someone puts on such a show for us Mopar fans.
Quote:

I didn't go this year because of weather once again.

but you didn't even go.... saturday the weather was pretty good i thought... what did it drizzle for 10 min a couple times? other then that it was sunny...

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone. - 05/24/06 03:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I had a cold one in the beer garden.

Beer garden, well that's new to me & may have changed since I've been there last. I remember bringing a cooler with food & different beverages a couple of years ago, including cans of beer not bottles, & was told at the gate it was not allowed in. I'd bet that by having the beer garden they able to get a better grasp on who's drinking & able to monitor whether or not an under age person has it. It may also have to do with who's sanctioning the event, like NHRA.

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/24/06 03:44 PM

couldn't go on Sat Joe, and I saw no sense in trailering the car 2.5 hrs through the worst section of I-95 only to get caught in Sundays rain. I thrashed all week to get the tranny in and everything all finished. I was all set to make the trip, even bought a new trailer recently. Ain't worth burning the gas to sit in the rain, plenty of other weekends to run the car. I could care less about the swap or car show as they are not a draw for me.

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/24/06 03:45 PM

Quote:

I agree with BigEd, all badmouthing it is going to do is kill the event. If you don't like it, don't go. Sounds too dam simple.

yea that will work.... the show will definatley be dead then... it is stupid (in my opinion) to just go to a show blindly just because its there... the only way the people that run it know somwthing is wrong with it is if they hear complaints... heck before the show i got bashed because i said the show has really fallen. well i ran into a ton of guys that i have been seeing there for years and they all said the same thing... "man this show really died remember back when...." and i didn't even say anything to bring that on... they said it to me.... some serious changes need to be made and even then it may never recover.. heck they really didn't even promote it.. i never once heard anything on the radio about it.. i used to always hear it on the radio years ago... why be loyal to it if they aren't gonna try to make it better for you?? heck it cost a small fortune to get in and buy some lunch... i think the show should atleast be worth it....
Posted By: CJK440

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/24/06 04:36 PM

I was happy with the show, sure it has room for improvement but I'm glad I didn't heed the warnings. I had a good time and plan to go next year.
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone. - 05/24/06 04:42 PM

I think the show used to draw a lot of spectators who came to see the cars for reference in their own restorations. I don't think the race is going to draw spectators from much distance. There were a lot less high quality restored original cars than I remember being at this show in the past. This is billed as a National Meet. There should be some prestige in attending and doing well which will bring people from further away to participate. I like to come up from Virginia to visit old friends. I am also proud to have won several beautiful Show Winner jackets there in the 1990's with a car I used to have. But, after spending $53.00 on tolls, $125 on fuel, $100 for the room (stayed at a friend's Fri. night), the expensive food and $8.00 for a bag of ice, and getting beat for 1st place by a driver with an aluminum radiator in 68-70 Plymouth B-body stock, I probably won't bring my car back to share with spectators like those who really enjoyed my car being there this past weekend. The head judge said that they were short-handed and he told his guys to give it their best guess without regard to the judging sheet just to get it done as fast as they could. The judge looked at my car for about a minute as it started to rain. The guy who won the class was nice and his car was cool but the best two cars got really slighted (Jimmy, your green GTX is super sharp). I think bad judging= less returning showcars=less spectators=less vendors. Again, this is the Mopar Atlantic Nationals, there should be some prestige in participating.

Attached picture 2649567-RRunner124kb.jpg
Posted By: dinty68RR

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/24/06 06:11 PM

Hi Everyone,

I should just copy and paste what I wrote in the "E-Town" thread, but I'll just sum up and add a few thoughts...

My friend and I have been vendors together for the past four years at E-Town - this year was the WORST in terms of spectator/people traffic in the swap meet/vendor area - Saturday afternoon (after 1PM) the area was - quite literally - a ghost town. I spoke with several other friends/vendors on Sunday morning, and they all commented on the number of people being SIGNIFICANTLY down from just last year. My friend and I had our best year (in terms of being a vendor) last year - this year was the pits (no pun intended!) - even compared to the "rainout" of 2003. I don't know if we'll get the same size vendor spot or not next year - I doubt it - but until traffic increases, I would suggest to the E-Town management to drop the price of a vendor spot (I wonder just how many vendors there were, compared to last year), and - if at all possible - move the event back to June. Also, send out promotional mailings to EVERY Mopar Club up and down the East Coast, and west to the Mississippi (I'm exaggerating, but everyone gets the idea here). Also, advertise in MCG, Hemmings, Old Car Price Guide, and every other associated publication/website 4-5 months BEFORE the actual event. Just my 2 cents - but, if something isn't done, this event won't be on life support in the near future - it'll be 6 feet under, pushing up daisies...

Glenn
67 Barracuda Convertible
68 RoadRunner
Posted By: FJ6AAR

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/24/06 06:13 PM

Hi, I think you need to move the date to a later date in June. It used to be in June in its hey - day, but now the threat of rain every year is making it difficult to plan and attend for many people - ie, gas, tolls, traffic, hotel, etc. It just might not be worth it for some people to attend if it is scheduled during the rainy season. Also, you need to do whatever it takes to bring in more vendors! You certainly have the space to do so. I know from viewing Moparts.com and listening to friends who used to sell there that the tax thing is what single-handedly killed the show for vendors. There is no reason the show can't attract the same people/vendors that attend Carlisle, but it is going to have to offer some kind of attraction to off - set the taxes. Finally, you need to advertise more. I never see the add for the show until it is almost upon us. Start advertising in January - yes - January in all of the Mopar mags - Mopar Collectors, Mopar Muscle, Mopar Action and put something in the add that makes people/vendors want to attend. I love this show and will continue to attend every year ( I live on Long Island), but I go for only one reason - to buy parts. Thank you, Rob Adolfsen
Posted By: 05dakota

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/24/06 06:43 PM

seems there is know another mopar the first weekend in june:
Mopars at Indy, June 2, 3 and 4

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/24/06 06:47 PM

I agree with the advertising issue. I did a search a week before the show for "Mopar Atlantic Nationals" it seems the most you will find are links to peoples pictue posts all over the net and vendors show schedules.

And the point made about questionable judging of the show cars driving off returning participants is certainly valid.

Hey, ya gotta hope someone is listening and willing to change some things.
Posted By: 68SportFury

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/24/06 07:08 PM

I went to E-town a few times in the mid-'90s and I can sympathize with a lot of the spectator issues. It's a six-hour round trip for me--360 miles--so if the weather is iffy I can't take the chance. I have pictures from 1996 that show a beautiful, sunny day and a huge number of show cars, and I remember a pretty sizable swap meet, too--but that was ten years ago.
When I've gone, I've made it a Saturday day trip, because I usually have a commitment on Sundays at this time of year. So that means the E-town weather forecast has to be favorable for Saturday, and I have to get out of the house by, say, 8:30 AM to make sure I have enough time at the show to make it worth the drive (one year the cat got out as I was getting my stuff together and eluded me just long enough to make me decide to stay home).
The last time I actually made it up there, by the time I'd paid the tolls and the then-$15.00 spectator admission, and gotten some food (eight bucks for a burger, fries, a coke and a bottle of water), I didn't have enough cash left on me to buy the heads I found in the swap meet.
This year, I had commitments both days and couldn't have made it regardless of the weather.
And, sadly, the negative stories I keep hearing every year about dwindling attendance and the disappearing swap meet are a powerful disincentive to make the trip. I don't want to drive six hours round-trip to see a showfield smaller than I see at Mason-Dixon, which is only 75 miles away and charges $15 to show your car ($20 to race!).
The door prize doesn't make a difference to me--I never win those things, anyway.
I'd love to see more Mopar shows that I was closer to--but, then, I imagine everyone else here would like to see more shows that were closer to them.

Post deleted by Defbob - 05/24/06 07:45 PM

Posted By: kdebello

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone. - 05/24/06 08:39 PM

Long post, Sorry....

I went to the E-Town show for the first time in many years even though I was told "the show has gone downhill", "it's dead" ...etc. It was much smaller than I remember from the early 90s, but I still had a blast.

Price of admission, attractions, judging, promotion, organization, time of year, all combine in the decline of the show.

COST...$25 each day to show, plus $12-$15 for the passenger/spectator. Carlisle is $35 pre-register for the car and 2 people, for the WHOLE weekend. I'm not sure what the gate price is for Carlisle.

JUDGING...I heard there were problems with judging or lack of it after the show. (although whoever judged the 68-70 B body light mod class was very thorough.) I am sure if they made it known that they were short-handed, there would be plenty of volunteers. Even if it were just to help tally up votes.

Promotion, attractions, organization...Ads in magazines, 4-5 months in advance. Post to websites, forums, etc. With the web it is not hard at all to get the word out. I know there was a tent with survivors, but get cars in advance and promote what will or might be there. Have a special theme tent. Certain years or something. I'm sure some people will complain about "copying Carlisle", but if it makes the show better, so be it. I'm not sure what retrictions E-Town has on racing now, but if there are some famous cars about to run or if some F.A.S.T. cars are running, announce it. Get people in the stands.

This thread is a step in the right direction. The promoters need to let us know what they want. If they want a certain type of car, ask us. If they have an idea, throw it out there and see what the response is.

Just some thoughts....

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone. - 05/24/06 09:14 PM

Copying...? I'll give ya copying... take a look at this show link (a flyer for which was also being given out at this past weekend's E-town event)

Musclecar Madness

The reason I think it's funny to suggest that copying Carlisle events/attractions would be tacky is that the promotion for the show above looks just like what the MANats was about seven years ago...! Seems like E-town had the formula for success, and somehow lost or didn't maintain it to this level - obviously, the attractions are still out there for the signing if called upon.

I appreciate all the comments Members are making on this topic - believe me, I'm in no way looking to bash or criticize the MANats out of existence - far from it - I love the show, been going ever since the first one (have the dash plaque to prove it...! ) and am really glad to be able to attend with my six-year old son, who really seems to enjoy going to the "big car show" with Dad - I think it's an important social event too, as not everyone can haul out to Carlisle or Ohio for some of the bigger meets - so I for one would like to do everything possible to "shore up" the E-town Mopar event for years to come.

Thanks again for all the good thoughts, hope the "powers that be" are indeed reading our comments.

- Alan

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/24/06 09:22 PM

Quote:

Would it be a better event if it was held in one day?

....In a word no!! The main reason my crowd goes down every year,is because we make a mini-vacation out of it getting there friday and staying till Monday,we had 14 people in our group this year,and 3 cars racing
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/24/06 09:51 PM

my lasting complaint is with the gate as well.

why are there no breaks for pre registered participants? when I prepay I dont expect to wait in line with folks who need to pony up. the speed of getting cars through the gate has long been an issue and it cant possibly be news to management!

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/24/06 10:15 PM

Some of you guys are mentioning advertising. The show was advertised in the track paper as soon as the schedule was released which is around January. It was advertised in Mopar Muscle a few months ahead of time. It was listed in Moparts own calendar of events before 2006 even started. Perhaps more is needed.

I think the main problem is the fact the Carlisle has gotten so big. The tax excuse is just lame, that was a one time event that happened almost 10 years ago and yet it still gets brought up. Besides, you just need to fill out some simple forms. How big are the spring and fall swap meets ? Were they effected ?

I wonder how the show would do if was moved to the fall ? That way it would not be so close to Carlisle.

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/24/06 10:29 PM

I've missed 3 out of the 4 last years. Generally I get work done on my car each winter and the month of May is too soon to have it back on the street. June would be way better for me.

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/24/06 10:50 PM

There was a seperate line for pre-registered cars..instead of going through the 2 lines. they had another one going in the side......
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/24/06 11:20 PM

I have been to every one, including this year and had a good time. I race and did pretty well on Saturday, hence my suggestion for a Saturday evening $20 Gamblers race after the King of the Hill race,every thing seems to be over early on Saturday. I really like seeing the AH cars. There appeared to be a lot of show cars but I don`t know as I am not really interested in them. The swap meet might have been light but A friend sold a set of headers for me so I`m $200 richer. I had no trouble at the gate as I preregistered and breezed through in about 5 minutes. My only complaints are : I spun on Saturday but don`t know why as I saw them spray the track, and not being able to preregister to race 2 vehicles on Sunday. I wanted to race my car in Heavy and my truck in Ram- Tuff, they sent back my money for the truck entry and told me I couldn`t, Why Not ??? So the truck stayed home. When the event was in June it was to hot.
Posted By: Cudafied

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/25/06 12:08 AM

I've been going since the first event when it was called "Mopars at Englishtown" It used to be a big event with seminars on sat, the MOPAR road show trailer, Miss MOPAR, Lots of venders and the swap meet was about 4 times as large as this year, More cars racing & showing, Match races, Etc........I don't know what happened
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone. - 05/25/06 12:25 AM

The show is too early in the year for me to show my cars because I`m usually still doing some work on them. There is a limited amount of mopar shows I can attend, so I pick the ones that have the most attendance. Englishtown is not one of them. I was going to vendor some of my junk this year but the tax thing kept me away. I do like the cooler temps of May though. The excitement seems to be gone for Englishtown. Also, there is`nt enough for my family and I to do for anything more then a day trip. Mike
Posted By: RTScott

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone. - 05/25/06 01:17 AM

Quote:

I think the show used to draw a lot of spectators who came to see the cars for reference in their own restorations. I don't think the race is going to draw spectators from much distance. There were a lot less high quality restored original cars than I remember being at this show in the past. This is billed as a National Meet. There should be some prestige in attending and doing well which will bring people from further away to participate. I like to come up from Virginia to visit old friends. I am also proud to have won several beautiful Show Winner jackets there in the 1990's with a car I used to have. But, after spending $53.00 on tolls, $125 on fuel, $100 for the room (stayed at a friend's Fri. night), the expensive food and $8.00 for a bag of ice, and getting beat for 1st place by a driver with an aluminum radiator in 68-70 Plymouth B-body stock, I probably won't bring my car back to share with spectators like those who really enjoyed my car being there this past weekend. The head judge said that they were short-handed and he told his guys to give it their best guess without regard to the judging sheet just to get it done as fast as they could. The judge looked at my car for about a minute as it started to rain. The guy who won the class was nice and his car was cool but the best two cars got really slighted (Jimmy, your green GTX is super sharp). I think bad judging= less returning showcars=less spectators=less vendors. Again, this is the Mopar Atlantic Nationals, there should be some prestige in participating.

JD,I enjoyed your car...I brought my 69 Coronet R/T...screw the judges,was great to see cars like yours

Attached picture 2650703-moparnats06006.jpg
Posted By: RTScott

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/25/06 01:23 AM

Quote:

Would it be a better event if it was held in one day?
Will it draw more racers with a bigger purse ?
It does need a big name to help draw more people. Last year Ronnie was scheduled but canceled due to health reasons.

Fred,your a big enough name by me... those t-shirts looked good,thanks for the sneak peek..let me know when I can get one,,maybe at York??

Attached picture 2650721-moparnats06018.jpg
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/25/06 02:51 AM

I have been going there since it started...yeah the rain sucks...matter of fact just in the past few years i got my wipers to work just to get me home nowadays from the show...it's a nice day out
sometimes u win sometimes u don't...as for the front gate....i make sure i get there later..around 10-11 am..i zipped right in....judging didn't start yet and sitting there gets boring after all these years...but get to see old friends and meet new ones...like morris who didn't bring his challenger to run against me...
Posted By: CrAlt

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone. - 05/25/06 03:06 AM

Move it to a later month anythig other then rainy May.

And they should put out an officail statment/guide on the "tax thing" on their website and/or in the ads. Even though it seems there really is no "tax thing" there are tons of rumers out there about it.

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/25/06 03:23 AM

One thing I find interesting, is that the 3 seperate main groups, show cars, racers, and swap guys, all have different complaints. That to me says they cant address even the big issues when thigns are broken down into smaller parts. The preg reg lane was non existent seveerral times during my times there. The organization of classes, test and tune runs, and exhibition runs was terrible over several years. The judging more recently has become an issue (not a show car guy myself, but friends have also mentionned this), prices were always high.I drive 3+ hours one way, andmy usual routine was to drive out Friday, stay at the hotel Friday night and Saturday night, eat out both nights, and pack a small cooler for the days' racing. I'd pre reg for racing both days. The hotel (motel 6, not the ritz...) was $80-90 per night single occupancy (ok, I lied when I made the reservations..lol), the racing was IIRC $38 each day, gas and tolls was $200 (back when it was 2.15 a gallon fullserve). I brought 4-6 rolls of film on trips I didnt race, and took pics constanly all day of the cars ont he track. I really enjoyed myself. Met Cha Cha Muldowney, Don Garlits, Herb McCandless, and others. It was well worth the trip. I'd love to see the show back where it used to be. Bad press is a result of bad experience in many cases, so a few "personality types" that complain about everything cant really be blamed. The orgainzers can be, and should be. WIth luck, they can be persuaded to make things better. Start with basics. Good solid help at the gates and track personnel. Reliable repectable judging. Even if not by Galen, a nice stock car can be judged easily by someone who is "in the know". (I've judge Chevy Nova shows before. it's not hard to judge a well done, correct car if you know a thing or two about cars.) Rushing because of rain doesnt make sense to me either. Pay out a little money for a few names to show. See if Mopar can commit something to it. Give them priority billing space, whatever they need. Seems like there is stuff that can be done to make it more of a draw. Basic stuff that makes it nice, even if it is expensive or a long trip.
Posted By: flypaper

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone. - 05/25/06 03:26 AM

the show HAS to be moved back or RIP for 2 reasons 1. weather enuff said on that 2.now the real reason.the jersey shore area is a seasonal area.the population goes up tenfold fron memorial day to labor day after that its a ghost town around here.in june you have a few million more people who are now living in this area for the summer,they come from all over.now you have a resource of millions of people who are a few hours or less away to etown -a perfect day to get away from the beach.if etown is reading this,push your show back,reorganize,fly some banners down the beach putting the word out.they will come.you have them in your backyard just herd them up and bring them in

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone. - 05/25/06 03:39 AM

Actually, they do include a tax directive letter with the vendor registration stickers when they send them out - but if you ask me, that whole "tax thing" regarding swap meets has sort of evolved into a vicious urban legend (or Weird N.J. legend...?) over the years... yeah, it was a point of focus with the N.J. Dept. of Treasury for a while - and yeah, a few larger vendors and pro dealers at the Englishtown Flea Market got hassled and fined, as I heard it... but let's not get too excited here - for the most part, the typical swap meet "vendor" is little more than a glorified yard sale participant, selling rusty odds and ends (OK, sometimes Hemi odds and ends...) - those that are set up as a business (i.e., trade name, selling new product inventory, etc.) are most likely set up as legit, sales tax collecting vendors anyway (like Jack's Auto Parts, etc.) so I don't see that the "tax thing" is largely significant to the success of the show...

I don't know though - maybe it's a hassle for out-of-state vendors to deal with in terms of collecting tax while doing business in N.J., so maybe that aspect is prohibitive to attracting a broader array of vendors... to that end, I noticed AAR Fiberglass wasn't here this year... I had bought a hood from him at last year's show, and they seemed to be doing well... bummer - maybe this is a worse issue than I am estimating...?

- Alan
Posted By: flypaper

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone. - 05/25/06 03:43 AM

i saw aar they were out of one white truck i had passed them a few times before i noticed them. there stuff was sort of hidden next to a truck.

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone. - 05/25/06 03:45 AM

Quote:

i saw aar they were out of one white truck i had passed them a few times before i noticed them. there stuff was sort of hidden next to a truck.

Saw them on saturday.
Posted By: PlumCrazy73Dodge

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone. - 05/25/06 03:56 AM

I have been going ever since I got involved with Mopars about 4 years ago. I really enjoy the show, but this year I did not enjoy te SWAP area as much because of its lack there of.

Improvements to be made:
-Increase vendors
-Have more events planned as the day goes on, such as like a sportsman expo does fly fishin demos: Like a timeline of events instead of just a show area, racing,... have a learn how to install a inner fender skirt or something that can help the hobby out with privateers like ourselves.
- a dyno would be cool.
- The SRT 4 runs around the coned course was cool a few years back.
- Where was the Viper club?
- Reiterate whats going on over the loudspeakers for those of us without antennas!
- Something for the specators to participate in instead of just staring at cars all day.
- Easier way for tech and show/race people like me. I had to go circle all the way back around to get in and all set up.
- BIKINI CONTEST???? maybe the burger stand girls???
- Prices could go down a little bit

Whats good:
- The racing was fun and organized
- The staff was directive and got me where I needed to be easily.
- its a race and show
- Burnout contest
- Local for me in NJ
- CRate engine give a way

people need to stop bashing the cost of food, when you are allowed to bring your own cooler with home made sandwiches. Stop bashing the weather, you do wash your car WITH WATER??? whats a lil rain gonna do? I do not feel it is E TOWN;s fault for the lack of attendance.

I feel that the hobby itself has drained the event. Prices are out of hand for the young kids to get in the hobby. I am 22 and find prices for parts driving me from buying the things I need which will stop me from looking in the swap area. in turn people do not want to drive thier $50k cuda in the rain or at all. The fun was taken out of the hobby and repalce by greed and investments. There are guys on college budgets or very little ones who have to pay 22 bucks for a bag of 12 plastic clips, its ridiculous. Sorry for the rant on the hobby, but it does hinder this event.

People are willing to pay top dollar for an NOS part and not 8 bucks for a hamburger, gets me...

I go to have a great time, finally drive my complete car down there, bond with Mopar guys n gals and sit back and have a coke
Mike Find it, build it, DRIVE it!

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone. - 05/25/06 11:06 AM

On a positive note:my friends and myself were very glad NOT to see the vipers,especially on the t-shirts....why is it that they've always had their own parking area and hospitality tent right by the staging lanes,but the rest of us have to pit elsewhere,i for one hope they NEVER return!!!!!!
Posted By: wildcargo

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone. - 05/25/06 12:27 PM

I think it is getting OLD not the show the people. I didn't bring the race car this year and about 10 of my frends didn't eather, some are in there 70s I am in my 60s. I remember towing 2hrs in the rain and bailing the car out and hopeing it would clear up. I was verry sorry I didn't bring the car as the lanes were 1/2 of what it used to be. In the past the lanes were so crowded is part of why I didn't bring the car.
I was disapointed in the vendors and lack of parts I think if thay loward the price for the vendors thay would see more of them, and that would bring in more spectator $$.
Posted By: PlumCrazy73Dodge

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone. - 05/25/06 12:41 PM

Quote:

On a positive note:my friends and myself were very glad NOT to see the vipers,especially on the t-shirts....why is it that they've always had their own parking area and hospitality tent right by the staging lanes,but the rest of us have to pit elsewhere,i for one hope they NEVER return!!!!!!

Well they could go next to the magnums or something that were parked this year. Its cool to look at the wild things people do to the new iron. The shirts I agree with you there. The reason for this event is to get all Mopar people together and have a fun weekend, to do this it needs to be well rounded.

Posted By: dbdartman

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone. - 05/25/06 04:01 PM

The way I see it, E-town HAS to get the general public interested in this show again. How to do this? I see many ways, including manufacturer's midway, exhibition cars (not just the SS/A cars, but jet cars, &/or top alcohol cars, wheelstanders, maybe some kind of shoot-out), seminar(s) for bracket racers, & seminars for restorers by someone OTHER THAN Galen G (he's been over-exposed IMHO). In any event, I feel the key to reviving this show is INTEREST BY THE GENERAL PUBLIC. Without these people coming through the gate, costs to participate will continue to rise & features will continue to be cut (commonly called a death spiral). Moving the event into the 1st or 2nd weekend in June would help draw more show cars (less chance of rain, more time to get the cars ready). Offering a 2-day "show package" more in line with what Carlisle does (2 people, & car) will help draw more show cars.

Again, I feel the key is to get more behinds in the seats. More spectators mean more $$$ to get more features which means more spectators, which means less $ to PARTICIPATE (swap spaces cost less & draw more, racing costs less which means more racers) Maybe even consider "door prises/give-aways" for spectators (not participants) to generate interest?

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/25/06 10:10 PM

I've been going since the 2nd annual: first with my dad and now with my son. I'll still go every year so long as it is there. Was better in June. Need MUCH more marketing and exposure. Need celebs such as Garlits, Bill Maverick Golden, etc. again. Need the new concept CHALLENGER there next year, AND see it do the 1/4. Need people to stop bad-mouthing it. Need the Hershey event not to be on the same weekend. One judge confided in me and said he was really a GM guy...what the heck is that about???? I'll volunteer as a judge if need be. But most of all, we all need to go.
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/26/06 08:13 AM

Will be interesting to see how Carlisle Mopar show turns out this season. Namely gas costs (i.e. racers/spectators attendance) & SwapMeet (ie. Internet Forums/Ebay Selling).
Can't ignore that sites like Ebay have had a DIRECT impact on what & how much vendors haul to shows (if they go at all), in comparision to previous years. Why travel like 4hrs/200miles/spend$$$ & maybe you'll buy needed parts, or just wait it out on internet.
Maybe these shows just have a certain "life span". First it was E-Town as "The Premiere" mopar show to attend on EastCoast, along comes Carlisle; now it becomes THE show to attend. I guess you can't really have two Premiere Mopar shows at once. Shame; cause E-Town has the edge on Carlisle; namely the racing to watch, which breaks up the druggery of doing the swapmeet thing.

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/26/06 01:41 PM

I am locking this thread, and directing all posts on the subject to be posted here: New thread
Posted By: LimelightCuda

Re: E--town MANats... Constructive suggestions, anyone...? - 05/27/06 02:12 PM

I too have been to every MoPars At Englishtown (MoPar Atlantic Nationals) show since it's beginning. Unfortunately, I agree with the negative comments written above. Since I have been to every one of these shows I will continue to go. It is a tradition for me, plus I live close by. I do think this could a a great show once again.

Here's my .

#1) I definitely agree the date must be moved for future success.How abut the week after the NHRA event?

#2)We definitely need some sort of main attraction. i.e. Don Garlits, Bill Maverick, etc.

#3)Gate time should definitely be reduced or streamlined.

We need constructive criticism. Without it how will the folks who run this show know how to improve it?

And one other thing,
written by PlumCrazy73Dodge:
Quote:

I feel that the hobby itself has drained the event. Prices are out of hand for the young kids to get in the hobby. I am 22 and find prices for parts driving me from buying the things I need which will stop me from looking in the swap area. in turn people do not want to drive thier $50k cuda in the rain or at all. The fun was taken out of the hobby and repalce by greed and investments. There are guys on college budgets or very little ones who have to pay 22 bucks for a bag of 12 plastic clips, its ridiculous. Sorry for the rant on the hobby, but it does hinder this event.

Although I am not 22, I can't help but feel that this is a part of the problem. How can a young person get into the MoPar Hobby?

Alan wrote:
Quote:

I love the show, been going ever since the first one (have the dash plaque to prove it...! )

I wish I would have collected those dash plaques from the start. I haven't seen the first one sinec that first show long ago. What I do remember about that very first show was first of all it was as hot as hell. Second and more important I remember seeing enthusiats racing Hemi 'Cudas that weren't restored cars just daily drivers. After all in 1986 they were only 16 years old. But what I will never forget is a Hemi 'Cuda convertable racing that day. It was a dark color like a brown or black or maybe a dark green and with a dark top. And kind of dirty too. I never saw that car again.

© 2024 Moparts Forums