Moparts

Seat Covers

Posted By: rjadart

Seat Covers - 02/01/06 10:22 PM

Can't locate the posts about using plastic garbage bags to help when replacing seat covers. Can any body go over the install. THANKS
Posted By: dbdartman

Re: Seat Covers - 02/01/06 11:29 PM

Works best on seat backs with tight "full" covers (like bench seats). Pull a G/bag over the seat back, turn the cover inside-out, & starting from the top corners roll the cover on the seat back. The bag allows the cover to be moved easily against the foam instead of sticking/dragging against it. When the cover is mostly in place, reach under the cover & rip the bag out. Not necessary if you have bucket seats with a seperate hard back panel.

Again, disassembling the old seat covers is the easiest way to learn how to install the new ones (by reversing the disassembly procedure).
Posted By: Waveraider

Re: Seat Covers - 02/02/06 01:18 AM

We put talcum powder on the foam before pulling the covers over the seats. It's really a two man job. Here's some pics of my '74 Challenger seatcover install. The talcum got everywhere. Even on the camera lens.

Re: Seat Covers - 02/02/06 01:24 AM

Took about 3-4 hours to do 2 E-body buckets. I was fairly pleased with the finished product. Buy a case of beer and invite a couple of Buddies over on a Saturday afternoon.

Re: Seat Covers - 02/02/06 12:46 PM

Looks like a good job. Thanks guys looks doable.
Posted By: dodg66440

Re: Seat Covers - 02/02/06 02:56 PM

Another tip is to leave them in the sun for a while. This makes them nice and pliable and they
stretch a little more. Good luck.
Posted By: KingMopar

Re: Seat Covers - 02/02/06 03:57 PM

Or do it like my poor upholstry guy had to do....take them in the house where his wife had the old wood heater stoked and sat them in that hot living room for about an hour(you could have barned "Backer" in there)prior to installing them. Sometimes during this time of year......the warming beams of the sun are almost nil. I think they turned out nice. I am not too pleased with the repop backs, they don't fit as well as the original backs..probably need to go back and tweak those spacers at the legs some more.

Attached picture 2361774-Picture001.jpg

Re: Seat Covers - 02/03/06 02:11 AM

Forgot to mention. I threw mine in the clothes dryer with a few dry towels to heat them up. It only takes about 5 minutes.

Re: Seat Covers - 02/03/06 12:46 PM

Thanks all that responded all good tips should not be too bad a job, will attempt install in spting.
Posted By: NAS Backyard

Re: Seat Covers - 02/03/06 02:04 PM

This is what i get to fix

Attached picture 2364197-IM000002.JPG
Posted By: smasherofall

Re: Seat Covers - 02/03/06 02:20 PM

Quote:

Took about 3-4 hours to do 2 E-body buckets. I was fairly pleased with the finished product. Buy a case of beer and invite a couple of Buddies over on a Saturday afternoon.
Quote:

I don't recall any beer being there
© 2024 Moparts Forums