Moparts

5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda

Posted By: Daty Rogers

5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 09/16/05 10:40 PM

Hey All,

Is anyone else here putting the new crate Hemi into an A-Body? There is one 67 FB in La. that did it with a pull-out but he used a tube kframe. I'm using TTI headers and mounts and will need to block off the oil filter adapter and run a remote filter out the side of the block. I'm wondering if there are other issues I haven't come up against yet. I have a Charlie's mid-sump pan from www.hotrodlane.cc. As far as I know there are at least 4 other sets of TTI headers out there and I'm really hoping one of them is here in moparts.

-Daty
Posted By: Dukes69

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 09/17/05 01:07 AM

I've been thinking this would be cool for the 68 B-cuda vert we just picked up. I'd like to know what all is involved. I'm sure the engine fits fine (except for some fab work, not a big deal), but what about a 5 speed auto? how well does that fit? While I'm rambling, does anyone have some dimentions of an a-body engine/trans compartment?

Posted By: Clair_Davis

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 09/17/05 01:42 AM

Daty,
You may want to try contacting Canton-Mecca filters and see if they don't have something off-the-shelf that will work for you. Do you have any photos that show where the interference will be? Is it something that a shorter filter would fix, or does it have to be a relocate? IMHO, a relocate isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's a good excuse to install a accusump (for me, but I don't think you'll be autoXing much). Be sure to check out some of their remote filter adapters, some of which are really slick, and would go well with the theme you've got going on...

That is, if you can call "Old Man Tan" and "fuel injected Hemi" a theme...

Clair

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 09/17/05 03:40 AM

I've been talking with Michael Mosley, we're going to make a plate to block off the filter. The TTI piece doesn't have provisions for the oring seals that are on the adapter (the block is smooth) so sealing it with Silicone or a normal gasket will be temporary at best and lose the motor at worst. I'm sending the oring specs to Michael this weekend so he can spec oring grooves on the block-off plate. There are two plugs on the side of the motor to pull the remote filter from. The reason for the plate is the TTI mounts (required for their headers) is the adapter and the filter mount occupy the same spot.

As far as the 5 speed it will not fit without major surgery to the tranny tunnel (those things are HUGE), they are even bigger than an A500 or 518. A 904 or 727 will bolt on but you need to take the ring gear off the Hemi flexplate and use the one on the tc. Keisler has a 5 speed kit for this motor for the manual tranny option, a std 4 speed will also work but you probably need to use the new Hemi flywheel, not sure. With the TTI headers a small starter is used. http://www.ttiexhaust.com/Header%20-%205.7%20Hemi/5.7Hemi.htm
has all the TTI info that is out there. With the stock kframe you need a Charlie's mid-sump pan available at www.hotrodlane.cc , that is a good site to see what's involved with a junkyard Hemi. The crate Hemi has a plug and play harness with computors and everything else needed. If you go the crate route then you need to decide on carb or MPI. I went the MPI route but that means switching the fuel system from carb to EFI (sumped baffled tank or fuel cell and high pressure lines/pump/filter).

Tommorrow or Sunday I'll be test fitting the headers, mounts, and kframe. I also need to swing by the dealer and talk with Chris the tranny guy to see what my 727 needs for the rebuild.

The project in itself is coming along real nice, what I'm trying to do is get it all scienced out so the vert downtime is minimized (yea right).

I don't have body dimensions but to help hotrodlane does have engine measurements.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 09/17/05 03:41 AM

I'll be the old man that cleans the clock of them youn'ens in the rice eatin' mobile billboards. d8^)

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 09/17/05 08:01 PM

Hmmmm... too bad that TTI can't find some trained monkey to knock out a few dozen of those block off plates. They don't look terribly sophisticated, judging by the photo on thier web site...

I'm going to be in your neighborhood tomorrow, if all goes well today. I've got to go up to Allen to pick up a few more Fury parts, but I'm not sure I'll be able to stop by. I may try to check Mapquest for the relative distance from your place to where I'm heading, and if Monkey Boy cooperates, I may try to stop in. Yep, probably bringing the 6-week old on a parts run. Gotta start them off right!

Clair

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 09/17/05 08:07 PM

Well around 1pm I got to pick up Lyle from Scouts, other than that I'll be here all day. If you lost my addy it's 1501 Creekside. It'll be great to see you and monkeyboy! If early afternoon dosn't work I'm sure DD can pick him up.

Now I'm off to the garage to test fit some stuff...

-Daty
Posted By: megajoltman

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 09/17/05 09:28 PM

Sounds like a cool build post some pics as you go please
Posted By: BIGBLOCK_KAT

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 09/17/05 10:21 PM

keep your progress posted. was looking at the same install, but with the debut of the 6.1 looking at that with the manual trans.
could a turbo fit in their too.
Posted By: 5wndwcpe

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 09/20/05 03:53 AM

I was diggin' on the same gig in a '68 B body but I'm sure by the time I get the scratch together to build it they'll be as common as the word "bling" in a Hot Rod article.
Posted By: Dukes69

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/05/05 08:37 AM

how is this going? Any detail pics yet?

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/05/05 11:58 AM

Its coming, the heads, block and front junk assembly ARE now Hemi Orange, alt and compressor mounted, belts figured out, headers in place, kframe in place, clearance checked/everified. if I had black cast instead of chrome vcs I's probabtly swap over, oil pan black..Gotta do thinga like belts, hoses, existing sensors, some wiring changes (no MP electronic ign), ammeter bypass, realays wiring for headlights, fans, head blower upper, sissiy hemi wiring layout, electical support for the fuel system (working with Don at FBO on on this, anyone that can bend Dons ear in my favor I would so greatly appreciate I'll send Luna tomatillo sauce straight to you, a treat to die for. I'm looking at a rather large complete system by the time were done, I like complete systems A LOT!

Science out the air cleaner that looks old school modern, any ideas here?

The slanty let go so its time to depart its home, being evicted in the middle of the night.

I'm sure there is more, and yes it does exist, Clair has touched it (unless it was my imagination)

-Daty

Attached picture 2040095-P9080117.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/05/05 12:05 PM

out of crate images

Attached picture 2040103-P8280093.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/05/05 12:09 PM

ANOTHER

Attached picture 2040106-P9080114.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/05/05 12:11 PM

This might help, the vert it's going into, Ive had it since 92 and a lot has been done to get it ready for this point in its life.

So am I certifiable or just this side of wylie?

-Daty

Attached picture 2040110-IMAGE023.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/05/05 01:15 PM

www.hotrodlane.cc has the engine/tranny measurements, my guess is the tranny is way too fat to fit without some fairly major floorpan/bracing rework. After I'm up an running next winter I'm looking into a GV unit, lot less surgery and lower overall costs.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/05/05 01:54 PM

I loves me some new stuff! And yes, I did touch the Hemi, but I was careful to wipe off any drool/finger prints. Any news from Sam yet? And did you get my email RE: the fuel fitting adapter?

Clair
Posted By: 69 Road Runner

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/05/05 03:02 PM

Quote:

www.hotrodlane.cc has the engine/tranny measurements, my guess is the tranny is way too fat to fit without some fairly major floorpan/bracing rework. After I'm up an running next winter I'm looking into a GV unit, lot less surgery and lower overall costs.

-Daty

Get the new overdrive 833 4 speed from Passon Performance. You get .8 overdrive, it fits without surgery, you get the fun of banging your own gears and no worries about kickdown linkage.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/05/05 11:17 PM

Not this week, he was cutting orings in the plate (after I sent him the adapter I pulled off the sissy hemi he decided orings were necessary), after it goes thru plating it's coming my way. The header clearance issue was from the headers hitting the mount bolt pushing them out (suprised neither one of us caught that), some grinder action and no washer cleaned that right up, I may still have to dimple a bit, we'll see when I get my tranny back and dummy everything in. I did get your email, thanks!

Now to call Don and talk fuel delivery.

-Daty
Posted By: 57HemiDart

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/06/05 01:12 AM

Hello.. A friend told me about the 5.7 Hemi posts on here. Thought I'd jump in.
I have a 1969 Dart GT (original /6 car, currently has a 360) that I will be putting a 5.7 Hemi (EFI) into. I got an engine from salvage (2004 RAM truck). It has about 1000 miles on the engine.
Tuesday (Oct 4) the engine mounts and headers arrived from MoparMecca (TTI distributor).
In the next week or two I will start pulling the 360 out. The engine compartment will be painted Silver before the Hemi goes in. The car will become a resto-mod Dart GTS, silver w/red interior, red Bumble Stripe. It will also have a custom dash from RockyMountainDash.
I'm still waiting on engine parts from Direct Connection (Mopar Performance).
They have a kit (part# 5153339) which is supposed to have all of the performance goodies they put on the 5.7 Hemi crate engine (the 4bbl-style throttle-body, intake manifold, computer, wiring harness, etc..). The kit is not available yet. Only a part# exists. It is almost $4800.
I still need info on what/how concerning a fuel tank/fuel system.
Once my engine is dressed out it will look like sort-of like a carb engine (it will be EFI though). THe engine has been painted Hemi Orange. I had the valve covers powder-coated with wrinkle-black. I want to use an original-style 426 Hemi Chrome Air Cleaner on it; which I think I can do with the 4bbl-style throttle-body.

Anybody have any updated 5.7 Hemi news?

Thanks,
57HemiDart
(Bob)

Attached picture 2042020-hemi_blackwrinkle_covers1.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/06/05 02:08 AM

ALLRIGHT! Someone else to bounce ideas off of. On the fuel system, call Don at FBO 503-627-0728 as we literally got it all figured out from the tank, pump, lines, regulator, everything for my Cuda. Getting it as a package makes it so much simpler imho and Don is a great person to deal with. For the TTI headers/mounts you will also need their blockoff plate because the mount and the filter occupy the same spot, you will need a remote filter. The headers are TIGHT, I mean really really TIGHT.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/06/05 03:42 AM

Daty,
Thank you very much for the info concerning the fuel system!
I will call Don and see what kind of solution you guys came up with.
I've already planned to use a remote oil filter. I was going to use the TTI block off plate but after reading about the o-ring issue I'm not sure what to do with that now. What are you using?
Have you figured out what parts (sending units, etc.) to use for your gauges?
Also, in my last post I included a picture attachment of my engine if you're interested..

Thanks,
57HemiDart
(Bob)

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/06/05 05:22 AM

I saw the pic, looks great! If I didn't have chrome valve covers I'd of done the same thing with wrinkle paint. I sent Sam Davis my filter adapter and after he saw that it was oringed he decided to modify his plates, I SHOULD get mine this week. The original plan for the plates was to use a rubber gasket, I'm glad the design was changed. If he didn't a friend of mine (Michael Mosley) was checking into making them himself.

As far as gauges I want to use the ones off my slanty so my gauges will wtill work, it will probably take an adapter or two to get it to work.

Don's solution to the fuel delivery won't be cheap BUT it will be dead nuts reliable and quiet.

What remote oil filter system are you looking at? I haven't dug into that problem too much, there are taps on the side of the block above the filter that can be used, I need to ask Billy at the dealer if there are remote oil cooler systems for these motors, that will give me a shove in the right direction for a system as far as filtration.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/06/05 06:34 AM

btw, Sam Davis is a head tech guy at TTI.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/08/05 04:29 AM

Nice to hear that TTI is updating the Oil Filter plate.
I searched for remote oil filter systems online, a few minutes ago.
Trans-Dapt and Perma-Cool have Universal kits that will work. Perma-Cool has single and dual filter kits.
I haven't had a chance to talk to Don yet about the fuel system. But I definitely want to do that.

57HemiDart -->
(Bob)

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/08/05 04:53 AM

Did you happen to notice if either of those systems use a plate or if you can use the tapouts on the side of the block? I'll go look there myself too.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/08/05 05:08 AM

Hate replying to myself but the trans-dapt kit looks like the way to go, do a quick check on the outlets on the motor to see what size/type they are and I'll probably go with the dual filter setup.

Thanks Bob!

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/08/05 05:32 PM

It looks like a good kit. I may go that route myself.
I'll check out the outlets on the engine today.

57HemiDart -->
(Bob)

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/16/05 12:43 AM

Bob, any updates on yours? I'm pulling the slanty out tonight and tomorrow to get things cleaned up and swap the kframe. I may end up dropping it in from above because of delays with the plate from TTI.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/16/05 02:52 AM

Nope. I'm at a standstill right now. Busy with work right now, for the most part. I have some vacation coming though.
I hope to start pulling the 360 out of my Dart in the next week or two. Then a friend is going to paint my engine compartment and then we'll put the Hemi in.
I still need to call Don about the fuel system.

How's you're project coming?

57HemiDart-->
(Bob)
Posted By: 5wndwcpe

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/16/05 06:15 AM

Hi guys, jumpin' in if I may.
I was planning on using an Alterkation crossmember to eliminate any steering linkage/ oil pan/ header clearence issues invovled with the swap in a b body. Any thoughts on this?

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/16/05 07:09 AM

http://www.hawayaracing.com/barracuda.htm has done one with an altercation style setup. I've sent him a few email asking about stuff and he replied with one-liners (no help to me though). I REALLY want to make mine work with a stock (well for me) kframe/suspension. My biggest issue has not been with the mounts or headers or tranny but with the serpentine belt, it's killin me...

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/16/05 07:13 AM

Pulling the slanty lung tomorrow! Still waiting on Sam at TTI for the plate, tranny will be done early next week and my whole garage looks like a exploded view of a BCuda! I've had more visible movement this week than I can remember.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/16/05 07:20 AM

Bob,
Did you ever call Don at FBO?

-Daty
Posted By: Annie

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/16/05 12:50 PM

If this fits a 5.7 should go in there. Snugly.
A friend in Maryland stuffed a hemi in his. I just can't seem to find a picture right now.

Attached picture 2068826-MO45.jpg

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/18/05 03:25 AM

No, I haven't called him yet. I get so busy during the day (at work) I keep forgetting to do it.
Do you and him have all the parts worked out for the fuel system?

57HemiDart -->
(Bob)
Posted By: 440whiteboy

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/18/05 03:53 AM

I've been in contact with Don about the fuel system. I had asked him to order a complete 'user friendly' kit for my E body. He claims they have all the bugs worked out.
I have also talked to S & P about the system they have used on the challenger project last year. Again they claim the route they had used works good also.
I'm leaning with FBO because of the modified stock tank idea. He says that the pump on the rail does not heat up and also is quiet.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/18/05 05:47 AM

He and I spent a long while discussing how to properly feed the Sissy Hemi, I did have to send him my fuel rail since he needs to tig a fitting on it so everything will bolt up. I'll let everyone know how it goes. I pulled the drivetrain out yesterday and have the Cuda on stands, I've got lots of cleaning to do underneath, its shocking just how dirty it is under there.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/18/05 11:26 AM

I understand why Johnny issued the one-liners, he's been racing a lot. I noticed on his Hemi (67 Barracuda) that they did not have power steering but do have a belt,they made an idler pulley to size. He's calling me tomorrow and I'll get the particulars, if you're not running power steering but are running an alternator and a/c compressor you'll need one. Send me email at dddaty at comcast dot net so when I talk to him I can get several built, may help knock the price down some.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/18/05 02:22 PM

Daty,
You can bump the belt length a couple inches one way or the other by changing pulley sizes or running the belt outside or inside the tensioner (if possible). I was able to find a belt for my Mag serpentine swap by changing my tensioner to run on the inside of the belt rather than the outside. This took a pulley swap from a Jeep I-6 I grabbed from the salvage yard.

Here's the Gate's on-line belt catalog for micro-V belts. You'll have to go to the end of the catalog to find 7-rib belts. PN's will start with K07xxxx (K=micro-V, 07= # of ribs, xxxx= length in mm).

Clair

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/19/05 02:12 AM

Daty,
I called Don before I left work today. He was on the phone with someone else and asked me to call in the morning.
So is his solution an in-tank pump or an external pump?
I need to figure out a belt solution also. I will not be using A/C or power steering. I did get a bracket/pulley from the dealer that takes the place of the A/C unit. I'm assuming at this point that this bracket has the same dimensions for the belt as the A/C unit would have. If that's true than I need a belt for a non-power steering situation.

57HemiDart -->
(Bob)

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/19/05 03:58 AM

Changing the tensioner to running inside is a good idea, I'll see if I can make that work. thanks!

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/19/05 04:01 AM

We're running an external pump. I'll post a pic of my pulley situation in the morning and we can compare, I'm going to try Clair's idea of running the tensioner the other way and see if I can get that to work.
-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/19/05 08:06 AM

Bob,

I'd like a pic of your pulley arrangement (esp the a/c replacement bracket). thanks!

-Daty
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/19/05 01:06 PM

Great thread, thanks for the pics!

FWIW, you guys probably already know this, but back in August Bouchillon mentioned they have an accessory drive kit in the works...

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/19/05 04:05 PM

No I haven't, but I have (hopefully) great news, the Durango idler pulleys are 3.5" across instead of 3" across, and with two idlers I have a whole new range of belt sizes to sacrifice. What may end up working is instead of going in/out/in/out I used the top idler inbetween the a/c and the alternator, so instead of having a .5" belt range in the tensioner I have about 2" range instead and by golly there is a good belt number in the top half of that range and will pick it up in a couple hours.

We now have a two pager thread going!

-Daty

Attached picture 2077073-PA190005.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/19/05 07:27 PM

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!

I found with two 99 360 Durango idler pulleys (pn 53009508) and Gates K070834 I have the tensioner about middle range, I'm so happy I can go to sleep now...
Attached is a pic of my now finished front of the motor.

-Daty

Attached picture 2077651-PA200006.JPG
Posted By: patrick

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/20/05 12:22 PM

looks good. no power steering?

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/20/05 01:36 PM

Can't use power steering with the TTI headers and mounts. The vert is manual steering anyway so it didn't concern me (that is until I tried to get a belt setup that would work).

-Daty
Posted By: feets

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/20/05 03:14 PM

What's the issue with the fuel system?
Slap a Vortec T-Rex inline fuel pump in there and install a regulator up front. Mine draws from a 3/8" pickup but you'll be fine using the stock 5/16 for your application.
What's the problem with those? I have been running mine for several years on the TT440.
Is it a returnless system?

BTW... I've been wanting to do one of those swaps. I just don't have another car (or the spare funds) to do it.
Daty, I think I've seen your fishy. I'm in Irving. Drop me a line. I'd like to see the setup.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/20/05 03:33 PM

Don't have one anymore. I am switching from a carb car to an MPI car. The tank is being replaced with a sumped/baffled/stock unit, two lines out the sump; -10 to a bg mighty enduro, -8 to the front to a regulator/filter, down to the rail, out to a -06 back to the tank. Whe whole setup will run less than $1500, a bargin for all new and trouble free. The motor has the rest like rails, throttle body injectors, computors, sensors, wiring. It's a really cool system so far. I parked next to you at last years picnic, I have the old man tan slant 6 you wanted to turbocharge. You're more than welcome to come by, pm and we can figure out a time.

-Daty

Attached picture 2079854-IMAGE023.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/20/05 03:36 PM

Quote:

I have the old man tan slant 6 you wanted to turbocharge.
-Daty

He says that to everybody, Daty!

Clair

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/20/05 03:48 PM

Why the huge fuel system? Are you planning on really stepping up that little Hemi?

The fuel pump I listed onle cost a little over $200. I've got a complete AN braided line system and spent only a fraction of what you're talking.

I thought I knew the car. It's quite nice. Parking it next to mine made it look even better.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/21/05 04:22 AM

I'll try to get a pic of the pulley arrangement. The non-A/C bracket isn't on the engine yet but I can mount it temporarily. I need the correct length bolts for it.

Bob

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/21/05 07:55 AM

I'm planning for the future engine upgrades, that and the last thing I want to do is burn my motor for lack of fuel. Don is also sending lots of extra fittings and extra length on the hoses so I can cut to fit. I expect by the time I'm done to have only 1100 or so and half of that is the tank. Don said send everything back I don't use (including hoses over 6") and he'll refund the rest.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/24/05 02:00 AM

Daty,
I attached a pic of my engine with the non-A/C bracket/pulley and the alternator in place..

Bob

Attached picture 2089014-57hemi_non_ac_brckt.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/24/05 02:09 AM

http://www.gatespowerpro.com/Comergent/en/US/adirect/gates?cmd=catNavigate2

You may need the kd70825, and you may need to use larger Durango idler pulleys. Have you measured for a belt yet? I'd try the same routing I did on mine a few messages up, use an old belt instead of a string though, the string came up woefully short for me. Clair helped me out a lot on my belt deal, it was beating me up pretty good.

I noticed you painted the intake black, nice...

-Daty
Posted By: Barry70GTX

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/24/05 02:13 AM

I'll be installing a 5.7/Tremec in an A body in the near future. Keep us updated on how it goes.

Attached picture 2089058-5.7Hemi004.jpg

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/24/05 03:30 AM

Daty,
I haven't measured for a belt yet. I don't have an old belt. I know the parts manager at my local Dodge Dealer. He can probably get me an old one or let me bring a new one back if it doesn't fit.
I'll try a belt first before I buy the Durango pulleys.

Bob

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/24/05 03:38 AM

I didn't paint the intake black.. It's the factory black plastic intake. I'm not using that one. I want to use the Mopar Performance parts. The same stuff that's on the crate engine.

Are things flying kind of fast for you there Daty (LOL)?
I guess you are the leader in this pioneering effort here. And you're doing a good job of it.
Once I am on vacation next week, hopefully I'll get a little further along with my project.

Thanks,
Bob

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/24/05 03:49 AM

Welcome to the thread Barry70GTX..
Good to see another 57Hemi swap going. There's only a few us known to exist right now. This is new territory for all of us. I see you grabbed a salvage engine/trans. I have a salvage engine as well (no trans). I'm going to use the 904 trans that I have. I was planning on using the tremec (Keisler) later on. Recently, I found another trans that sounds interesting. It's a beefed-up A518 (4spd OverDrive) with lock-up torque converter. The lock-up converter can be set up with pressure switches to shift in/out of OD automatically. No need for a trans computer. Here's the URL:
http://www.redrider.us/518_transmission.htm

Bob

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/25/05 05:12 AM

I got my old belt from a car repair shop, the dealer had a couple but they were for warranty replacement and they couldn't give it to me yet. I don't think it matters whether its a 6 or 7 belt.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/25/05 05:23 AM

Oooh, that's scary, I'm out front! There's a few that have done this prior to me but I'm been pretty vocal about issues I've encountered, more to see what others think about it than complaining, sorry if it comes over as bitching.

I thought the intake was painted but I remember your setup now. What's funny is I've got a crate, you have a takeout with a 904, the other guy here (sorry don't remember name) has the full hemi/5speed auto transplant, whiteboy has a takeout/kessler, and the new guy has a 6.1 takeout. We're all doing it different.

In other news, I picked up the 727 today complete with the modified hemi flexplate (cut off ring gear and slotted hole for the offset bolt). Worked on the Cuda a bit removing stuff like wheels, exhaust, and other extras and cleaning underneath.

Anyone need a slant 6 electronic ignition conversion kit? Pulled one off and don't need it anymore.

-Daty
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/25/05 11:04 PM

The new hemi in the old a'body is going to be the hot ticket, in my opinion. From everything I have read the new hemi is a great motor in a smallish package, and with a 5 speed and some swaybars will make just about any a'body quite a roadwarrior.

I hope to be doing this very same project sometime in the near future.

Good luck trailblazer.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/26/05 12:02 AM

I was at Ennis Sunday and my buddies Hemi truck ran 15.2, a Magnum (complete with baby seat) ran 14.5, and a Charger ran 14 flat. They weigh 5000, 4500, and 4100 respectivly. With an A-body in the 3-3500 range depending, add TTIs for another 40hp and we're talking low 13/high 12s depending on the chassis. What is really cool is they weigh as little as a slant 6, it's lower and shorter than a 340, can pull 20 inches of vaccumn and top 6900 rpm without the rev limiter. Like you said Cogz it's not the 1/4 mile where this package will shine but on the street. It's a drag you can't have power steering with the A-Body/TTI setup, I've got a 16:1 manual box (huge difference from a 24:1), FF front bar, and 4 wheels disks (12" front, 11" rear). What a package!

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/26/05 12:13 AM

Not only the headers, but also check out the recent hotrod mag article where they did a cam swap in addition to the headers. I believe they got well over 400hp without touching the heads. I can't speak to the upper limits of this motor, but as far as I am concerned, its the first mopar killer smallblock. (at least on stock shortblock)

I am toying with the idea of buying a beater 66'ish a'body to start fittment, and see if I can fit twin turbos in there somewhere. They do it with 5.0 mustangs which are about a'body size... why not go twin turbo Mopar?

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/26/05 02:44 AM

Daty,
You mentioned something I had a question about. The flexplate. What flexplate do you think I would be using with a 904 trans? The same one you mentioned?

Also, Street & Performance has a Fuel Pump/Filter setup they use with their Hemi swaps. Have you seen it? Do you know if it will work with a Crate Engine or is it more for the stock engine?

Sorry for all the questions.. I thought maybe you have looked at some of this stuff already.

Bob

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/26/05 03:45 AM

Bob,

I'm using an LA727 in mine, you use the flexplate that came with the Hemi but need to cut the ringgear off the flexplate and (may or may not need to) waller out one hole so the tc from the 904(727) will bolt on, I had to. I'd like for B&M to come out with a flexplate to mate the Hemi with a 904/727 and variants.

I saw the S&P fuel system they used on the Challenger but I didn't think they sold it as a kit when I looked into it. They used a custom built tank, external fuel pump, vette filter/reg (for return line) and sent only one line up front. I'd be concerned about pressure loss on a single line to the front but that may not be an issue. I chose to go with Don's design at FBO for my setup; a sumped baffled stock tank, external pump, -8 to the front, regulator at the fuel rail, then -6 back to the tank. You will need a fitting welded onto the fuel rail for AN line. AFAIK the fuel requirements are the same crate or takeout (58psi).

Don't worry about the questions, I have plenty myself and if I've found a problem or solution I'm more than happy to share, please do the same. MP as an info source leaves a lot to be desired.

I'll be putting mine in the vert in the next couple weeks (barring any work scheduling problems), need to change the kframe first since the vert was a slanty and the TTI mounts are for a 68-72 V8 kframe.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/26/05 12:20 PM

This might help, but consider the source first.

Can you use a B body stock sending unit in an A body gas tank? If so, you could get the Hemi style sending unit for the gas tank that has a sending and return line provision. Then, use the Hemi fuel filter/canister that has a return line.

I have this on my Road Runner now. You could then put an external fuel pump back by the tank.

Keep in mind that this is mostly Cliff Clavin style theory.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/26/05 01:38 PM

Speaking of Cliff Claven, here's my modified sender:

It's not pretty, but it's in there. I gutted an early steel PCV valve for it's tidy 90* bend and 3/8" connection, drilled a hole in my new SS 3/8" sender, sandwiched in a piece of fuel hose liner from an EFI-rated hose to act as a gasket, and screwed it down tight with a castle nut from a tie rod end that had the same threads as the PCV valve. Should work OK, but I won't know for another month or so... still in the re-assembly phase.

FWIW, my fuel system is semi-returnless... my AFPR is in the engine compartment next to the original A/C heater control valve on the pass inner fender, and the return line is the OEM 5/16" steel fuel line. The supply line is all 3/8" aluminum line, with a filter before the lift pump that feeds the pressure pump. I'm running a surge tank instead of a baffled tank. The surge tank is actually a VW piece, with fittings that I feel are too small on the return side, so I'll be making my own tank with -6AN weld fittings after I get back running. Fingers crossed again...

Clair

Attached picture 2095294-New_Fuel_Sender_Final-01.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/27/05 02:31 AM

Daty,
Thanks for the reply..

I didn't have a flexplate with my engine so I need to get one. A flexplate from B&M would be nice. I'm using their flexplate for my 360 in the Dart right now.
Do you have to have a modified fuel tank with an external pump?
I still need to speak with Don about the fuel system. I may call Street & Performance as well and see what they say. I have talked to them a few times before when I was looking for a Hemi engine. They seemed like real down-to-earth kind of guys. No bad attitudes or anything like that.
I'll need to change my K-frame also. The guy I bought my Dart from used a lot of parts from a '74 car. Luckily, I have an earlier K-frame that I had power-coated several years ago.

Bob

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/27/05 02:46 AM

Brad,
The B-body Hemi sending unit and filter with return line sounds like it may work in some fashion. I guess the question is whether the sending unit will work in an A-body fuel tank.

I don't think a return line will be a big problem though. Usually return lines are plumbed into the filler tube. Cut a hole in the filler tube, thread the hole and screw in a nipple.

Bob

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/27/05 05:43 AM

The tank I'm getting from Don is a new stock tank the he cuts open and installs a baffle and sump then puts it back together. I like it because it will bolt up with what I have instead of making custom straps or cutting the trunk floor out. The pump is external, which reminds me I need to call Don and get an update.

I was thinking of installing the kframe and motor/tranny from underneath but I'll probably install the kframe first then drop the motor from above. I'll leave the t-bars out (if I can) for clearance.

S&P may have a flexplate laying around leftover from hemis that got a 5 speed install.

I'm STILL waiting on TTI for the block-off plate, it'll be a week (like it was several weeks ago) when I talked with Sam earlier today.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/27/05 01:25 PM

My forced induction EFI motor requires more pressure and volume than either of your new Hemis. The demands on my fuel system are going to be much higher.
I used a stock fuel pick up in a stock fuel tank. It was modified by adding a return port that sticks into the tank about 2 inches. The Vortech T-Rex fuel pump is mounted in line.
I have no problems with fueling the TT440. Everything works great.
I understand wanting a good quality fuel system but I think you guys are really taking steps that are more of a want than a need.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/27/05 01:55 PM

hey daty,

just dropped her in for the first time last night.
comming in from the top was fine - only issue I had was the bleeder screw from the tierod was in the way of my lift's leg. Charlie's oil pan from ohio is a Perfect fit! some issues so far without the exhaust manifolds on looks close on the pass side shock tower. have the power steering gear box in now seems I may have to swap it out with a manaul box. flywheel and bell housing were not on and dont look like Ill get it on after for its too tight- will re pull her out to mount the bell housing and stock exhaust to recheck the fit. the stock fan will go because at the best will be one inch or less to the radiator- will opt with the electric double fans.

Attached picture 2098098-DSC03521.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/27/05 02:40 PM

another pic front view.

looks like I may have a hood clearance problem with the throttel body and my rallye hood. might have to go with a shaker hood. a big plus if I do but the down side is I will have to redo a paint match^@#*! I have the hood and knew better when I was painting the car at the time to shoot them both just in case.

aint that just like me thou...
so what's the difference, its only a few more hours added to the couple thousand I have now to make that happen!
if im not doing things on this car two or three times over with this sentimental 'BIT---CH'
she's acting as they do when ' on the rag '

Attached picture 2098211-DSC03519.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/27/05 03:07 PM

440WB,
Can you ditch the OE fan clutch and use a shorter one? FWIW, 1" clear sounds great to me. Just don't hit anything...

On the hood... although a Shaker would be more appropriate, I bet a T/A hood would provide plenty of room. Might be easier to hook up a fresh air box, too.

Wishing I had these problems...

Clair

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/27/05 06:25 PM

some good points clair

any idea about the fresh air box? any pics or info to who would stock or make them. at S&P they had a challenger last year with a custom made intake for the 5.7 after calling them mark says not now but maybe a few months they might make some more?

another thing about the throttle body is it may be sitting to far back for even a shaker hood? another measurement to make. also noticed that the oil filter has to change too.

I have to ask about you 'wishing you had these problems?'
are you refering to the hood thing?

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/27/05 07:01 PM

The fresh air box in my mind is just something that would seal to the bottom of the hood, it doesn't have to be fancy. Once you sort out how to to filter the incoming air before it gets to the throttle body, constructing the box would be pretty straight-forward, I would think. For that matter, the throttle body doesn't have to STAY bolted up to the intake, it COULD be relocated with some form of adapter to some place more convenient if necessary. That would require some more complicated fabrication, but certainly do-able. There are all kinds of neat air fliter elements out there these days, from cone to flat round to square panel, all kinds of things to work with.

As for wishing I had these problems, it's the New Hemi problems I'm wishing I had. I'm just doing an EFI retrofit on my 340, and watching closely as my nearly-neighbor Daty deals with all the pain of the Hemi install. Fact is, I was looking VERY closely at installing a 4.7L OHC in my Valiant 4-5 years ago, and if I hadn't trusted some bad information I got about the bell housing bolt patterns, I might have done that rather than my 340. Upgrading to a Hemi after the 4.7 would have been pretty easy, I bet.

Clair
Posted By: 68Fastback

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/27/05 07:47 PM

At home I have a photo that I will post tonight to give you an idea on what to use for a filter on a hood scoop. It is off of Ron Silvas Demon and when I seen it I said hey that is pretty simple but effective.

Jesse

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/27/05 10:23 PM

440WB,

Do you mind taking a pic from the side and I'd like to see how the oil filter/kframe clearance worked out in your case.

Congrats on getting it dropped in, looks great and you've taken the lead, now tell us all about it! 8^)

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/28/05 01:46 AM

Here is that picture

Jesse

Attached picture 2100091-Picture003.jpg

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/29/05 04:38 PM

Only have this view to show you. I pulled the motor out again. It was only a tempory check on fit and clearance's. I decided to go with TTI's complete E Body exhaust system. Went to Mancini's and picked up a set of ceramic coated headers and placed the order that comes with their set of recommended motor mounts with the shumaker set and the block off plate. So will have to go with the inner fender by pass oil filter mount.
Was going with the 4 x4 truck oil filter offset, and S & P motor mounts which are on in this pic.
the offset is waiting for me @ the dealer to pick up which I no longer need. With the S & P mounts the oil filter would of hit and needed the offset.

Attached picture 2103370-DSC03520.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/05/05 04:26 AM

Daty,
Update..
I took my Dart over to a friends shop to take out the engine/trans. The engine/trans are now out. You know what happens when you start taking things apart? Well, you start saying stuff like: "this isn't going to look right" or "I might as well do this right while it's apart". The whole engine compartment is now bare. The wiring, firewall items, grille, front bumper and everthing is off.
This project is going to be almost a full-blown restoration along with the Hemi swap. You end up with a lot of things to do that you didn't think there would be. Anyway, we've pretty much figured out what we're going to do.
I'm waiting on new torsion bars so we pull the '74 k-frame out and put the '69 k-frame in. Once the body work is done in the engine bay, we're planning on test-fitting the Hemi the first week of December. Once test-fitted it will come back out so the body/paint work can can continue. The whole car will be re-painted.
Hope to have the project complete by late Feb or early March.
Hopefully the Mopar Performance engine kit will be here in about a week.
The mid-sump oil pan arrived from Street & Performance the other day.

How's your project working out?
Bob

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/05/05 06:01 AM

Great progress there Bob. I know the feeling of one thing leads to another too. Pulled the slanty a couple weekends ago and my my the engine compartment is all tore up from the years. I'm considering repainting the compartment, at the least new brake lines, redo the harness (tape on the factory harness and plastic tubing on the hemi harness will look weird) and hide it while I'm at it.

Still need to pull the fuel system and clean and coat underneath.

I switched the serp. belt from a 70834 to a 70825 to get the tensioner more range. The tranny is all rebuilt and in the garage, and got some stuff cleaned up. Don at FBO shipped out the fuel system today (YEA!).

There's stuff to be ordered like the madelectrical stuff (though I may piece it out instead) and a remote oil filter.

TTI is really screwing me on the blockoff plate, was supposed to get it long time ago and they've had "manufactoring issues". Mancini has the plates listed at $20, but they are TTI plates. Sam is at SEMA so no update until he gets back Monday.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/05/05 02:40 PM

Regarding the plate, is anyone interested in a private run of blockoff plates? I've got a source.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/05/05 02:43 PM

Here's an action shot.

-Daty

Attached picture 2120291-PA170012.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/05/05 02:47 PM

pile-o-parts

-Daty

Attached picture 2120298-PB050009.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/05/05 02:48 PM

poor lonely heartless Cuda

Attached picture 2120300-PA260008.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/08/05 08:37 AM

Got a call from Sam today, the plate will be back from the platers and shipped out tomorrow.

In other news, stripped the fuel system out and powerwashed the bottom of the vert. I'm debating on pulling the rear end out before I bedliner the bottom of the car. I'd like to get the bedliner on before this weekend.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/08/05 01:39 PM

hey daty Im glad you posted in with your updates --
just got my exhaust from TTI yesterday. in opening up the box, just like you -- No block off plate! will have to make the call. also noticed in reading the install sheet that they recommend for dual exhaust metal body hanger brackets --- since I had ordered a complete exhaust system dont you think that would have been included or at least mentioned with the order sheet? another thing is with the box of headers I have a set of collector tubes, in the exhaust box I have another set of collector tubes? doesnt make since to pay for the same parts twice in having doubles? maybe I can use them as stacks in my hood? havent heard from don yet as to the delivery on my package. front end parts R & R all done. looking for a spanner wrench to pull the fan. the new mounts look smaller and offset compared to S & P 's set which I need to change them out yet. still no progess on the trans other than pulling it all out of the boxes.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/09/05 12:19 AM

I have a standing order with a machine shop in Austin (thanks Michael!) for 4 plates (with oring grooves) for $225, more than the $20 Mancinci quotes but they are available now. I wasn't able to get anything from the dealer on the remote cooler/filter possibility. The plate from TTI was supposed to be shipped. No idea on why two sets of collectors, maybe on is 2.5 and the other 3, or a set came with the exhaust and another set came with the headers.

My Stuff from Don should be in transit, I'll blastoff an email in a min.

The way things are going right now I'll have the car waiting on me instead of visa-versa, the next big thing is pull the rear end out of the way for bedliner undercoating on the bottom. A good old buddy of mine Tyson has come over the least few weekends, it's nice to have someone around to bounce stuff off of and be the extra hands.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/10/05 04:32 AM

Daty,

The bedliner coating on the underside sounds like fun! Good luck with that. I had considered doing that to my car also but I'm going to leave the underside alone, for now.
I'm still waiting on engine parts from Direct Connection. So the engine progress is going nowhere right now.
I did order all new brake lines, all new wiring (dash, front & rear light harnesses), and various gasket kits for putting things back together after the paint is done. It's getting expensive!
Since I'm in no big hurry now, I'll wait to see what becomes available concerning the oil filter block plate.

57HemiDart -->
Bob

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/10/05 07:15 AM

I got home after work and spent a few hours under the vert pulling the rear (housing/springs/shocks) and applying the bedliner with a brush. That stuff is drippy and I made a real mess of the floor (and myself) BUT it looks great, got about 1/2 the rear done (trunk hump), have one rear wheelwell and the floorpan left to do. I haven't decided to do a 2nd coating or not, may need to to hit spots I missed. I wonder if that roller thing works better, use it for flatter areas and cut the corners and brackets with the brush. Looks like it'll take 2 gallons though, one can isn't enough. I did the bedliner trick in the interior floorpan/trunk area too, really cuts down the road noise.

Going to need to touch up the rear housing/springs now (one thing leads to another syndrome).

I'd like to swap kframes this weekend.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda ZIPPY/Rich - 11/10/05 11:50 PM

Here's a pic of the holes on the side of the manifold for you.

-Daty

Attached picture 2134089-PB100024.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/11/05 12:06 AM

Here's a pic of the bedliner undercoating work, its kinda glossy (there are tintable products out there for a flatter more original look) but this works for me. Looking at the pic I need more light under there when I finish it out, all kinds of missed spots.

-Daty

Attached picture 2134128-PB100022.JPG
Posted By: jmf340

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/11/05 12:38 AM

just wondering...where are you going to put the radiator? it looks too close

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/11/05 01:15 AM

The Hemi has less overhang than a 340 (esp. with the serp belt system) so there shouldn't be any clearance issues to the radiator, won't know for sure positive until I put the motor in. The plan is to use the 22" 3 core HE unit I have already. As far as a fan I'm not sure whether to use an electric or clutch fan, a lot depends on radiator hose routing.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/11/05 02:13 PM

If the bottom horizontal part were cut off this one, and the holes drilled in the vertical section, it would *almost* work....but it looks like the cable barrel is too far back to reach....what kind of cable are you going to use?

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/12/05 01:31 AM

I don't know, I'd like to use my stock cable (slant 6) since it'll be long enough, otherwise I may have to go Lokar, OR if I use the late 80's/early 90's Dodge truck I'll need to use it's cable since its a different design as far as mounting to the bracket. Kickdown will more than likely be cable operated (Same Dodge truck or Lokar again).

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/13/05 02:30 AM

Got the blockoff plate from TTI today. It has orings installed and the bolts needed for installation. I didn't get a chance to mock it up but it looks like it'll fit fine.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/14/05 07:36 PM

I've been following this thread, but I've tried bolting up a bellhousing off a smallblock la to the back of the 5.7l hemi. It seems as though one of the bolt holes doesn't want to line up (just misses by about .040). Has someone actually bolted up an la bellhousing to the new hemi and everything lines up perfect, including any runout issues?

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/15/05 02:58 AM

The only problem I had is the top bolt hole is not used, I've got a 727.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/15/05 05:33 PM

Got a lot done over the weekend, bedlinered the rest of the bottom, saved a buddy $350 by bedlining his Hemitruck for him, and removed everything attached to the kframe except the car itself. I'm ALMOST to the point of making the parts pile smaller and the car pile bigger. 8^)

-Daty

Attached picture 2144929-PB150027.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/16/05 03:09 PM

The throttle cable/kickdown has been solved, Bouchillon Performance has a throttle bracket and kickdown cable the will fit perfectly and still use the slanty throttle cable. He's going to test it on one of his 5.7s in the back before he ships but looking at the part there won't be any problem.

http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/BPEtkdc.asp

It's looking better and better!

-Daty

Attached picture 2147016-P1010153.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/18/05 11:36 PM

Got a big box from Don Gould today (fuel system), after I take Lyle to Scouts it'll be like xmas around here!

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/19/05 08:42 PM

hey daty -- can you post a overall pic and of the connection lines

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/21/05 05:39 AM

here's the pics of the fuel system (no pump or reg though, gotta call monday).

Attached picture 2157734-PB210031.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/21/05 05:40 AM

pic of sump

Attached picture 2157739-PB210032.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/21/05 02:58 PM

Nice welds... what did they do on the inside? Big giant hole, or a few small holes, or...?

Clair

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/21/05 04:03 PM

a bunch of medium sized holes according to thes website pic. I could see they sealed the tank on the inside though.

-Daty

Attached picture 2158426-TankInsidesml1.jpg

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/27/05 05:38 AM

Well, I got the gas tank in, reinstalled the entire rear suspension, and got a good start on reinstalling the front suspension. The fuel pump/filter/reg hasn't shown up yet so we are putting stuff back on the car to check clearances and such. Right now it looks like next weekend will be a motor/tranny install to check clearance/fitment, has anyone else done this to see what clears and what don't?

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/27/05 09:30 PM

Sounds like you're making good progress Daty!
Friday I took the fenders off of the Dart and took out the Dash.

I sandblasted the oil pan I got from Street & Performance and painted it Orange to match the engine. I will install it tonight.
I'm having issues with the serpentine belt. I can't find one to fit. I'm not using A/C or the Power Steering. I got a 78 1/8" belt from NAPA which comes about 1 1/2" from going on. I figure a 79 1/2" will work. My NAPA store was closed today (Sunday) so I don't know if they have that size or not. I checked some other stores and they did not have anything listed around 79 1/2". They showed a 78 1/8" and then 82". Nothing in between. If I can't get a belt around 79" I'm going to try using the 3.5" Durango idler pulleys that you used and see if that allows me to use a longer belt.

Bob

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/28/05 03:53 AM

Hey Daty just got my tank in from Don and its just like yours -- no other parts in yet.

Finally got my block off plate from TTI and installed that. Also got the motor mounts from TTI and Remounted the motor. Had to grind the passenger side motor mount corner to fit.

One note about the S & P motor mounts are they seems a bit more sturdy than the TTI set with more mounting bolts. Also they measure the same so the motor still would sit in the same location. Only thing I can see is that TTI's set are offset on an downward and to the side angle -- so that might be for the Headers to clear ?

This pic is of my installed motor -- passenger side from the rear looking forward -- so far seems like I have good clearance -- still will have to fit the Headers from TTI.

I have pre-fit the bell housing --its hard to tell about the trans for the motor is tilting back untill the trans and mount are installed I wont know without cutting the hump to fit in talking to Keislers staff..

my next step is waiting to get more time to then cut the hump out and to pre-fit the Trans.

Attached picture 2173969-DSC03594.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/28/05 04:04 AM

This pic is from the rear of the Drivers side looking forward. At the moment I have the power steering gear box in. Have not tried the Headers yet to find out if that has to go or not? The oil pan fits in nicely with the steering linkage.

Attached picture 2174003-DSC03595.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/28/05 05:14 AM

http://www.gatespowerpro.com/Comergent/en/US/adirect/gates?cmd=catNavigate2&punchInID=607492
is a link Clair posted a while back that gives belt lengths (page 1 I think) look there for sizes. The Druango idler pulleys gave me a lot more leeway, there may be a larger pulley with grooves too.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/28/05 05:22 AM

It may be that the tti mounts are that way for header clearance, I know it's really really close in there, had to trim one bolt head on the friverside so the headers would sit flush.

Did Don's tank have the vent bung on the passenger side? Mine did and it sits right against the rail, can't use it and will use the sendor or the 2nd sump line for the return.

I was shooting for next week for trial motor fitting but it got pushed back to repaint the engine compartment

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/28/05 05:26 AM

Who rated this thread a a 5 star? If I did I don't know how I did it...

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/28/05 03:23 PM

Yes the the vent bung is on the passenger side. If its next to the rail can you use a hole cutter to bore thur both sides of the rail? Thats the way the vent tube is done.

My tank is not installed yet. I wont do the tank untill I get my rear end axle changed first.

Does a sending come with this package from Don?

Attached picture 2174589-DSC03598.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/28/05 07:53 PM

I didn't think we needed a vent since a stock tank is vented thru the filler tube anyway (in my case, please tell me if I'm wrong). I really didn't want to drill the frame rail if I don't have to.

I'm wondering too (since I already plugged that vent hole) if I could use the sendor unit as a vent, cut the tube off then install an EFI hose on the outlet and loop it around to keep out stuff.

No sending unit but the lock washer thing and gasket were in the box.

I really wish the pump/regulator would show.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/29/05 04:46 AM

Daty,
Thanks for the link to Gates website.
I picked up another belt on the way home tonight.
It is a 6-rib belt 79 1/2". It seems to fit quite nice. The 7 rib belt sizes jump from 78 1/8 to 83" (Gates). I attached a pic of the installed belt.
Bob

Attached picture 2176507-57hemi_34.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 11/29/05 06:39 AM

A 6 rib belt matches the pulley grooves? That's cool and opens up a much finer adjustment on belt selection.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 12/02/05 04:43 AM

Yes. The grooves seem to match. I was worried about the width of the belt as it doesn't cover the pulley from edge to edge. As long as you use the same grooves on each pulley I think it will work with no problems.

Bob

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 12/02/05 08:04 AM

I have a few questions that I hope you guys doing the 5.7l swap can help me with! I have a '85 D150 (pic attached) that I am considering doing a 5.7l swap to. Is it possible to buy just an intake to run a carb on these motors? Do you have to run the coil packs on these or would a crank trigger MSD type setup work? Is the 5.7 buildable to a 6.1 or more? Are there stroker kits available? I found a really cheap shortblock and a pair of heads seperately that I was thinking of getting but I am unsure as to how readily avail. parts to rebuild these motors are. Nothing was listed on Mopar.com but I haven't checked with a dealer yet. I have done several searches on the internet with no luck! I am a CNC Programmer/Machinist so I am pretty sure I can make brackets, pulleys and even an intake if I have to but I am concerned with big parts like the pistons, rings, rods, bearings and crank! thanks for any help!

Attached picture 2184792-100_1019.jpg

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 12/02/05 06:08 PM

MP does make a carb intake, Bob is getting the kit that uses a takeout and with a wiring harness, manifold, and some other stuff to put it in a non computor controlled car. I don't know if the manifold is available seperately. Start at the beginning of the thread for Bob's post on the kit.

Do you have to run the coil packs on these or would a crank trigger MSD type setup work?

no idea on the msd

Is the 5.7 buildable to a 6.1 or more? Are there stroker kits available?

I THINK there are a lot of differences between the 5.7 and 6.1, no stroker kits yet but there are cam kits.

but I am unsure as to how readily avail. parts to rebuild these motors are.

stock parts shouldn't be a problem, not much aftermarket yet.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 12/03/05 03:47 AM

The kit I ordered from Mopar Performance includes the Intake Manifold (fuel injection), 4bbl Throttle-body, Computer and Wiring Harness.
I called MP and asked them for the part# for the kit. I then orderd it from my local Dodge dealer.
These are supposed to be the same parts used on the Crate engines. They probably have a similar kit with the Carb Intake Manifold. Actually, the manifold may be one and the same. It's probably just a matter of using the carb or the throttle-body unit.
Oh yea.. the kit is not cheap.. $4800.00. I got my 10% discount off of that price, though.
I'm still waiting for my kit to arrive.

Other than cams and headers, there's not much out there for these engines yet.

57HemiDart -->
(Bob)

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 12/06/05 03:18 AM

I made some progress over the weekend, got my engine compartment and trunk back to body color. The trunk I painted grey splatter (years ago) and the engine compartment was just plain wore out. I figured while everything was out of the way I should respray it.

Not much other progress but this was a biggie.

-Daty

Attached picture 2194252-PC060048.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 12/10/05 04:06 AM

Hey guys, thanks for the help. I decided to buy a complete motor and 5spd Auto tranny off of Ebay out of a wrecked 2004 truck w/ only 7k miles on it. Less than 4K shipped to my door! I can't wait to slip that baby in. I'm sure it won't be a snap either!

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 12/10/05 11:46 AM

All right, another vic, err... victim! Yea, that's it. Whiteboy is doing the takeout into a Challenger and he's using the 5speed that came with the motor too, please keep us updated and if you have problems or solutions post them.

Progress on mine has slowed down with the weather around here...

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 12/11/05 05:20 AM

Cool.. Another swap coming online.

My project has slowed too. We've had snow twice this week. And it's been pretty cold.

I hope to pull the interior out of Dart soon. After that I'll try to test-fit the Hemi engine before the body/paint work begins.

Bob

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 12/12/05 07:13 AM

I am targetting next weekend for the first (and hopefully last) hemi install for the vert. I talked with the dealership this last week (Dallas Dodge) and they really want the Cuda as part of the display at the Dallas AutoRama, I've got til mid-Feb to get this mobile. It's gonna be tight...

Hey, thanks all that are doing a Sissy Hemi install, it really helps to have an ear to bounce problems with.

-Daty
Posted By: 68440fish

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 12/15/05 03:23 PM

Quote:

Do you have to run the coil packs on these or would a crank trigger MSD type setup work?

The engine comes with a crank sensor and a cam sensor built in. The standard MSD systems I have seen only drive up to four coils, and the standard crank trigger stuff still uses a distributor to send the spark. However, MSD does make a plug in kit for the LS1 and LS6 engine with a carb which can use the GM coils or the MSD replacement coils. I would suggest calling them and seeing if they are interested, I think that the development time for them on 5.7L would be minimal considering the similarities with the LS1/LS6 electronically. Depending on the sensors it may be something as simple as a different harness.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 12/15/05 06:33 PM

Hey Daty --

its been some time since we had talked, just to update you...

FYI -- Im doing my Cuda with a '04' Dodge Ram magnum 5.7 pullout that is Brand New with no miles on it. Im not using the auto trans 4x4. I have keisler's new 5-speed 'E' body conversion kit complete. TTI's ceramic 2 1/2" headers with complete 'E' body exhaust system. undecided which rearend to use and wheel/tire combo.

Ive lost interest due to working allot lately and its been cold here.

Attached picture 2219371-DSC03458.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 12/16/05 10:47 AM

Thanks for dropping in, I've been putting in 45-55 hours/week the last couple months (working 3rd shift too) so the only day I really get is Sunday. Progress has slowed to a crawl from the time issue. Still have the mid-Feb timeline though, ughhh...

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 12/20/05 06:16 AM

Well according to the tracking info my Hemi arrives tomorrow. I am so excited! Like a kid at Christmas. Wait just a minute. I am a Big Kid and it is almost Christmas. I guess I'll just have to celebrate my Christmas tomorrow then!

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 12/20/05 07:14 AM

I was informed by DD that my xmas present is sitting in the garage, I said "the hemi?" yep. If Im lucky I'll get socks in the stocking this year. I'm cool with that.

As far as progress did some touchup on the paint, installed new brake lines in the engine compartment, put stuff back on the firewall, put the trunk back together (it got a new coat to fix the splatter paint I did years ago) and almost got the front end back under the car.

8 weeks and counting down....

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 12/21/05 06:07 AM

WOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!! IT SHOWED UP TODAY JUST AS I THOUGHT! I've got all next week off of work to figure out how to get it in. Looks like it won't be that hard But there will be a lot of Wish me luck!!!!

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 12/21/05 07:15 AM

Good deal! Keep us posted on progress and such.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 12/22/05 03:36 AM

Well.. I thought I was making progress when the Dodge Dealer told me my 5.7 Fuel Injection kit (MP crate engine parts) arrived. When I looked at the contents in the box at the dealer it had:
(2) wiring harnesses (only need 1)
(2) throttle bodies (only need 1)
(0) computer (need 1)
(0) intake manifold (need 1)
The dealer now has to find out from supplier why the order is screwed up and get it fixed.
I now wish I had ordered the crate engine.
BTW.. These parts came in a "Cummins" box..

57HemiDart -->
(Bob)

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 12/22/05 05:21 AM

Bob that hurt,I'd make sure the harness you keep is the right one, they may be different (one auto, one manual?) for some reason and you want to keep the right one.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 12/23/05 04:32 AM

The harnesses appeared to have the same part#.
My parts guy at the dealer spoke to the supplier today. Whoever he talked to had to talk to somebody higher than him to see if they want to send the missing parts or send another complete kit. I want another kit.
Hopefully I'll hear something Friday.

Bob

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 12/23/05 05:39 AM

Profanity references are not allowed on this message board.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 12/23/05 06:06 AM

Hey Daty with all this progress going with your Hemi I just couldn't resist not showing everyone the man behind the Vert.

Jesse

Attached picture 2240000-DatyFormal.jpg

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 12/23/05 10:39 AM

geee... thanks Jesse, now I can't fly under the radar no more. I wonder how many other boggers are flying low watching all the fun here, Michael and Clair are, who else?

About the other forums and the new hemi swap, this is the only one I found that had more than one person actually doing this. I posted a bit on some others and gave up and have only posted here with hemi swap issuees since then.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 12/30/05 04:51 AM

To me it just seems the brain trust is much bigger here, at least for all my questions that no one ever seems to be able to answer over there.

Jesse

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 12/31/05 02:53 AM

I agree, it's not a good thing when a 3 year only car forum can't answer the more obscure questions.

Anyway, got the hemi in the vert. It's NOT coming out if I can at all avoid it, it was, umm, difficult. Bob (or anyone else) that goes in from above here's some tips, remove the mc or the #8 coil pack for clearance. If you have a Charlies oil pan you may want to consider notching the kframe for clearance. Remove the intake manifold and cinch the engine leveler as close to the motor as possible with as long a chain on the hoist as possible. Use short bolts on the backside of the head if you use a leveler. After getting the motor/tranny in place on the hoist it took about 3 hours to get in in place. Oh yeah, there is about 6 inches clearance between the radiator and pulleys. Well that and the hemi looks really good in there. 8^) That's about it for today, the headers go in tomorrow or Sunday, according to the instructs I have to lift the motor and remove the driver side t-bar, so up on the stands it goes.

-Daty

Attached picture 2260169-PC310021.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 12/31/05 02:58 AM

I got Randy Bouchillion's throttle/kickdown kit installed today, glad we installed it prior to the motor going in. The kit works really well and only had to cut/trim a couple/few things to make it fit perfect. I need to give Randy a shoutout and send him some pics.

-Daty

Attached picture 2260196-PC310001.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 12/31/05 04:03 AM

Street performance put in a 5.7 Hemi into a 70 Challenger I'm sure they can help you 479-394-5711
Its not as easy has it sounds
Posted By: 383S_Fastback

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 12/31/05 07:36 AM

I check in now and then to keep tabs on the progress, but something about working 12 - 14 hr days keeps me away from the 'puter most of the time, shoot I haven't seen the inside of my garage in over 4 weeks , and to be fair to Daty I'll post a picture of Bob (sorry about that Bob!), he's the one on the right, Jesse you've met him at the Spring Fling a couple times, picture was taken 2 weeks before Thanksgiving which also happens to be the last time I had a chance to work on one of my cars.

Jesse, just curious are you still using the bushing reamer?

Back into lurk mood, I got's to get up for work in about 6 hours

Lee

Attached picture 2260720-DSC01826.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 01/01/06 03:38 PM

engine looks good daty -- progress is made and your one more step closer!

with TTI's exhaust they recommend not using them with a new motor untill it is up and running tuned for the extra heat will discolor the tubes so I'll use the stock manifolds.

with my E body I had to cut my K frame to clear charlies oil pan too. I cut out the flange lip about an inch square on the front passenger side after I had it mounted.

already had the engine bay empty so no issue's of anything in the way.

using a cloth strap for my engine install wraped around the motor mounts balanced with a friend helping to keep it tilted back when lowering was a couple of hours long from start to finish bolted in.

had to hammer and bend my firewall/floor flange both sides around the hump for clearance of the bellhousing for my 5sp. so far my next step with the trans is to figure out how to install the oil flex hose.

Attached picture 2264312-DSC03627.JPG
Posted By: Weldtech

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 01/01/06 08:29 PM

Steve Enochs at www.paintshop101.com is also installing a 6.1 into a 71 Challenger as well as another one into a 70 Super Bee!

We built engine mounts and pans for them and the pan will clear the K frame with NO cutting....

He is also test fitting with the TTI mounts and headers but there are minor problems with fit. These are being addressed for future parts though.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 01/01/06 09:09 PM

I do agree that the K frame did not have to get cut.
Charlie's oil pan was up tight against it, so just to make sure it had room like the other side I cut mine.
Posted By: Weldtech

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 01/01/06 09:53 PM

Quote:

I do agree that the K frame did not have to get cut.
Charlie's oil pan was up tight against it, so just to make sure it had room like the other side I cut mine.

The first oil pan we made cleared the k member by 3/8'', not enough in my opinion so the new ones are going to have an angle on the passenger side corner, kind of like the stock oil pans have. We are going to have 2 capacity versions as well, one where the sump does not hang down below the K frame and one that does, a Skid plate would be recomended of course for those!

Ours are built a little different in that the flange will be laser cut so they are one pc and they will be fully baffled for "G" machines.

Stay tuned for other related parts too.....

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 01/02/06 07:27 PM

Thanks for the pic Lee ! Smearing my goofy face on the internet brightened my day!

Jesse, We just made our reservations for the Spring Fling show today. Maybe we'll see you there or at Enrique's house.

Daty,
With the holidays, work (& on-call duty) and visiting my brother in the hospital, I have not gotten anything done in December. I still need to get the MP parts screw-up and delivery worked out.
This is taking much longer than anticipated.
I'm getting concerned about the fitting problems you guys mentioned. Not that they can't be worked out, it just doesn't seem to be as advertised.

I'm going to try to get back on track here in the next week or so.

Have fun!
57HemiDart ->>
Bob

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 01/02/06 08:16 PM

Yea, we can't walk down the street without being noticed anymore! I've had off since the 24th and really worked on the cars 4 days out of it all so far, at least the motor is in now. Headers are still on the ground, and I don't think I can make AutoRama and have it finished to where I'm happy with it, it can be dummyed up and look good, but it won't be running. So far fitment has been "ok", not anything that can't be fixed. Once its in though, it's worth the effort.

Hope your brother is doing better, sickness around the holidays stink.

-Daty

Attached picture 2268158-PC310019.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 01/03/06 07:55 AM

Got the passenger header in, lots of room (TTI room, which means 1/8" inch). The driver side on the other hand I had to cut the subframe lip off a bit and move the brake splitter back about 2 inches and rearrange the brake lines out of the way for clearance. The worst of it though is the headers just hit the t-bar. I am using the taxicab bars (0.96) and if I had girlyman weenie bars I'd probably be ok. Calling TTI tomorrow as I sure don't want to hammer on these headers if I don't have to. Also the instrucs say to pull the driver side t-bar, you have to pull both t-bars (no biggie)

I got the trans-dapt remote oil filter (the 1.5-20 metric one) and the lines themselves are still normal thread. Tomorrow I'll be calling Milodon (that's who did the remote filter setup for TTI) and drop serious coin (dammit).

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 01/03/06 03:03 PM

Even if you had 0.86" bars, that's only 0.050" clear... a tad shy of 0.125" (aka, lots of room...). Before calling Milodon, can you find a local hydraulic hose outfit up near you that can MAKE the proper hose for you? Would be cheaper to just have a hose made.

Also, the new Mopar Action goes over a 6.1L install in a 68? GTX clone. E-berg opines that the button oil filter from a 86-87 Shelby GLHS Charger might fit, and still provide about as much volume as a standard filter. The B-body engine bay is way different, I know. Just a thought.

Clair

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 01/03/06 07:05 PM

Daty,

Capital Bearing here in Austin is an aeroquip distributor and can do the nice professional high pressure crimp hoses. Braided even, just might have to wait on the fittings a day or two to come in if you want the real pretty stuff. I have copies of the aeroquip catalogs if you need part numbers for the braided line and crimp connectors for the braided line. Up in big D they may have that kind of stuff in stock. If you want to just do the industrial style with a swivel NPT fitting on at least one end they can usually do that while you wait. Stuff I have done for work was not too expensive, was rated for earth movers and could handle 5000 psi. I would recommend you get the remote filter stuff from Canton. You can do standard spin on stuff, or the fancier cannister style. They are the people who do the "accusump" systems as well if you are interested in that. For the rest of y'all Canton's spin on block adapter is one of the only that I have seen that isn't scary and has proper passages.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 01/04/06 09:49 AM

Well, I have decided to make my own motor mounts. Well, I guess really I have been forced to make my own motor mounts being that I can't seem to find any that will work for my truck. My truck frame is apparently several inches wider than the car frame the mounts I got from S&P were designed for. After seeing all this trouble with the oil filter interferance it might be a good idea anyways because then I can just design my mounts to allow the use of the stock filter in its original location. Plus it just kills me to have to wait for parts. I am dying to get this thing in. Hopefully it doesn't rain again this weekend so I can get some real progress done. It sucks that it rained almost half of my vacation here!

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 01/04/06 11:33 PM

Got the remote oil filter solved. The block threads are 3/8 NPT (with a metric allen wrench hole?). I worked with Doug and www.cmracing.com and we worked out 3 ft.-10 line, 3-90Deg , 1 straight, 2 1/2NPT-10 for the filter, and one billet filter adapter. I also needed to pick up two Aeroquip FCM2185 (3/8 NPT to -10AN male) to go to the block since he didn't have any. Bob, anyone else using the TTI blockoff plate there is a solution. I took the trans dapt kit back.

Talked with Sam at TTI he suggested putting a spacer on the driver side or dinging the header, he gave me a quick tutorial on how so I SHOULD be golden there, find out soon enough...

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 01/05/06 07:29 PM

its good to see you making more progress daty. when you get the oil filter assembled can you post a pic for reference.

my updates...

finally got the trans in and the hump is attached. Im waiting for another hose from keisler before I can fill with oil and bleed the line. got my pistol grip handle back with the letters TKO stamped in. my dana rear end should be here in a few days I had ordered from Dr. Diff. then I can finish my brake lines.
taking my aluminum radiator I ordered from don @ FBO to the shop to get the brackets stitched welded. still need to prefit my headers.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 01/05/06 08:26 PM

Daty,

Correct website address:

http://www.cmfilters.com/index.cfm

-Michael

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 01/06/06 12:15 AM

Already talked with Doug and got it ordered. I'll fit it all up and let him know how it turned out. The car is coming together quickly now, but I doubt I'll make AutoRama in 4 weeks. Don't want to rush perfection.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 01/06/06 06:56 PM

68440Fish
just saw your link to CM filters site.

good design on the canisters and filter kits.

*found out last night that the radiator I have was shipped from another vehicle. will have to go thur the 'Redo' process again. another iron in the pot.
sure is a good thing I made a phone call to double check it. I had an appointment with the welder to stitch on the brackets and when I went to do my layout I thought something didn't look right with the inlets in the wrong place. when I had placed the order we repeated the locations three times?
somehow it got mixed up.

the one good thing its from the good ole USA and I got a 'Yup, Dah your right, its our fault' and we will take car of it Gus!

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 01/07/06 05:23 AM

Are you getting crimped braided hoses or the ones with the "re-useable" fittings?

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 01/07/06 08:41 AM

I have to cut to fit.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 01/08/06 05:49 AM

Daty,
The parts guy at the local Dodge dealer got a complete new "Fuel Injection" (MP Crate Engine parts) kit for me. I picked it up this morning. Hopefully, I'll get some time to install it this coming week.
I've got to start making some progress. I'm way behind where I thought I would be by now.

Sounds like you're making great progress!

Bob

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 01/09/06 03:00 AM

The latest is if you have an A-body the steering column will need to be cut back about 4 inches. The rod by itself clears fine (a bit tight). The problem is not with the headers (surprise) but the head does not clear the column at the rear corner. I dinged the headers at the dist block and brake line and another ding at the t-bar (driver side) and the headers now clear everywhere. Progress man, progress...

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 01/10/06 01:48 AM

Quote:

The problem is not with the headers (surprise) but the head does not clear the column at the rear corner.

Does that mean I need to move the power rack-n-pinion conversion to the front burner?

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 01/10/06 02:59 AM

Don't know, here's the view out the steering column hole (from the interior)

-Daty

Attached picture 2292054-P1090012.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 01/11/06 09:47 PM

Yikes, that's tight. At least the input is visible. Can the collar be clearanced to clear?

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 01/12/06 04:27 AM

I cut the collar back to the firewall, the shaft clears the head and the wobble joint clears the headers, but its a tight fit.

-Daty
Posted By: bacaruda

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 01/12/06 04:40 AM

And they said "smaller and lighter than a 5.9!"

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 01/22/06 11:34 AM

And more powerful too!!! For even more power (and disable the 5700rpm hard limit) Ben Grasso at www.pfcenterprises.com has an ecm and a feedback system that uses wide loop O2 sensors for true control on the efi. As it is stock the crate motor has no O2 sensor feedback.

I got some stuff done so far, I found a 727 inspection plate but had to cut it square to fit around the motor, everything is buttoned up now. The plate and starter have to be in place before the headers swing into place. Last week I slept the entire weekend, didn't get a thing done on the vert...

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 01/23/06 10:52 PM

just saw your post and noticed you said you had to put the starter in first? on my E body, I had to install the header first then the starter, after a couple of trail fits I needed to ding my headers too. removed the power steering gear box which would not fit afterwards. went with a manaul gear box - was hammer tight up against the shock tower two hits and she was in. stubborn I was without jacking up the motor... didnt want the extra work that night, my excuse to switch.
planning on picking up my dana this week.
radiator is here and is missing the brackets.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 01/24/06 12:33 AM

Well, the header had to be hanging and then slide (yea right) in the starter, then finish installing the header, lots of fun and you need about 8 hands while doing this. On the driver side I didn't have to ding next to the steering box (but did since it is so close), ding 2 tubes for t-bar clearance, then ding another tube for more clearance around the distribution block (which slid back a few inches for header clearance). The passenger side was fine. Good thing is the vert is off the stands and out of the middle of the garage (room for DD's Rango), looks good on the ground.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 01/24/06 04:39 PM

so R U getting closer to making your deadline?

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 01/24/06 04:44 PM

Forgot to say........
I could have left the header hanging and did the starter @ the same time too. my thought was for future repairs without dropping the header and installing a new gasket for a possible starter change-out.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 01/25/06 04:10 AM

Probably going to miss AutoRama unless I put it in as a non-functional display (like that never happens). Still have plenty to do and lots to figure out yet, need to make a list so I can keep track.

DD's friend BJ calls my Cuda the world's most expensive paper towel holder....

-Daty

Attached picture 2337049-P1250018.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 02/02/06 05:55 AM

Any progress updates? I've been working out the cooling system and mounting Canton's remote filter system (nice piece!). I'm putting in a 27" 3 core I got from Tyson and was looking at hoses from Summitt but they require an adapter/reducer at the inlet since it is 2" around. Clair gave me some ideas and I talked with Billy at Dallas Dodge about what he did (search thru a pile of hoses until he found what worked). Right now since its not making AutoRama (2 weeks) I want to make it right rather than kludged.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 02/10/06 03:36 PM

Just wandering on how everybodies garage art is coming along, mine STALLED OUT over supply issues and massive quanities of working 3rd shift OT the last few nice weekends, had one good weekend but a self-important numbnut decided to share his flu from the idiot side of his brain, promptly nailing 6 good dedicated people (out of 18 total) in their respective deathbeds (me included) and and waste out the rest. AutoRama is a distant memory, I hate using timebank on being sick... Now DD's got it, she is a horrible patient, great...

So no new updates, other than help Ben Grasso with his, found radiator hoses that will work on a 27" radiatior, and looking into electric fans (again), Billy is steering me to some NAPA kits that are reasonable and local, work well, installs easily, and can get me a great deal.

I noticed a for more 5.7 hemi swap inquiries and steered them this way, speak up if you're here!

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 02/10/06 04:56 PM

finally got my radiator in the weld shop for the brackets to get stich welded. they just came in the mail. need to install the clamps on my dana. still working on how to get this motor started!

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 02/15/06 02:26 AM

I got the radiator at the shop (27" 3 core from Tyson), found hoses that fit (gotta cut them down) and found the hoses and the remote filter want to occupy the same spot, it'll take some creative hose routing on the filter to get it all to work and still look good and be accessible. AutoRama is this week, missed that deadline, the Shreveport show is late March, the Cowtown show is early April, the Dallas Dodge show is late April (I think), and the AER show is early May. I gotta get moving and see massive progress again if it's going to be ready...

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 02/15/06 03:58 PM

picked up and installed my radiator on monday. need to go thru fitting the hoses process. finished clamping in my rear end. have to mount on the brakes.

is there a big difference using 10" x 2" -vrs-
11" x 2 1/2" set up?

the 11" I have are the finned hubs where the 10" are just plain.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 02/15/06 04:11 PM

Quote:

finished clamping in my rear end.

Ouch!!!

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 02/16/06 02:50 AM

Quote:

Ouch!!!

so you must of been there and done that
B - 4 ??? good thing U cant C it!

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 02/16/06 12:03 PM

How big a radiator, 22 or 27? I got the hoses figured out for a 27", the radiator a friend gave me is a 27", only needed one patch and a cleaning ($35!), the remote filter and the radiator hose down there get kinda cozy.

On you rear brakes, how big is the front? If you have 11" disks then using the 11" rear drums you'll have to bias down the rear quite a bit, if you have 12" disks the 11" will be fine. On my Cuda I use 12" disk front and a www.tsmmfg.com 11" disk rear kit, well balanced and I didn't need to dial down the rear any.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 02/16/06 08:12 PM

I went with a 23" aluminum since this is a small block, and the rad support is a small block. its as good a four core with the flow says Northern. got that from don @ FBO with the other stuff. yesterday I just did the same thing you did using original hoses and cutting them to fit.

11" rotors up front. so your guessing I should use 10" rear drums to keep it more balanced?

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 02/17/06 08:17 AM

11" rotors up front. so your guessing I should use 10" rear drums to keep it more balanced?

That's right, my understanding is with 11" drums and 11" disks you'd have to bias the rear down so much they would lose any gain by being larger. The real test is take it out on a wet road and see if the rears lock up first (and you swap ends). If they do you need to dial the rears down (or upsize the front disks).

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 02/17/06 02:54 PM

You can also tweak the rear bias with different-sized wheel cylinders. Unless you're going to do a fair number of open-track days with your new Hemi power, the 11" drums are probably overkill on most cars. Rear disks are a big help in modulating the brakes on the edge of lockup.

Clair

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 02/18/06 02:31 PM

hey thanks for your help will use the 10" and road test.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 02/18/06 04:34 PM

If you're planning on rebuilding the whole drum assembly anyway, check to see what size wheel cylinders are in there now. I've been using (I think... slept MANY times since the change) 13/16" wheel cylinders from an early-70's Dodge truck (I think also on early 70's Darts, too), and my 10x2.5" rear drums don't lock at all. Hard "panic" stops will still lock the fronts first, and I've never had a proportioning valve in the car. I'll be checking on 7/8" cylinders some time later this year, to see if it helps stopping some more, or starts to lock up again. I *THINK* the OEM wheel cylinders were 15/16".

Front brakes are 11.75" Cordoba rotors with (previously) 73+ A-body slider calipers, and now 2000 Viper calipers. Both appear to work about the same for the kind of driving I do. Daty's TSM rear disks are pretty nice, though, and I think he's pretty happy with how that part of his Hemification project turned out.

Clair

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 02/19/06 07:33 PM

dont know the size of the cylinders?
would like to go to the disk as well, but I have to trim back at this point with so much going on. this is why ill use the drums for they are in hand and do have an recent rebuilt of the shoes and springs.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 02/27/06 11:20 PM

Long time no update, was ill for several weeks so garage time was nil BUT did get a lot done this past weekend. With Clair's help I've got a 3" driveshaft that fits perfectly, and we modified a sender unit supply line to work with an fittings and will use it for the return. He used a sleeve and a nut then we flared the tube so an an fitting bolts on directly. There is no welding involved and quite an elegant solution. Got a lot of the fuel lines run, got my 27" radiator tested and patched, got an electric fan system mounted to it, got rad hoses that fit, but didn't get to the remote filter mounting yet (sorry Clair). The original throttle cable is so long it binds up so I've ordered a lokar throtle cable. It's looking better...

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 02/28/06 03:18 PM

so winter time brings on the colds to even you guys down south eh? thought that was a northern thing? glad your better now.

Im getting ready to run my gas system too from FBO, are you going with the -10 for the main run, then the -8 for the return line? should the pickup used in the gas tank be the larger 3/8" unit?

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 02/28/06 03:38 PM

10 between the tank and pump, 8 from the pump up to the front fuel rail and regulator, and 6 return to the tank thru a fuel cooler and in the formally supply line on the sendor back into the tank. My pickup is a 3/8" line and will be part of the return system, output comes out of a sump on the tank, keeping the sendor means my factory gas gauge will work.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 02/28/06 03:56 PM

Tried replying last night, but I guess it timed out when I had to go wrangle Willie for bedtime... grrrrr... ANYWAY, I'm glad to help, Daty. No hurry on the relo pics, that's not one of my priority projects.

Regarding the electric fan, though, although you didn't ask, I'll throw this little tidbit out there. I'm going to be using a fan controller from Delta Current Control. Their web site is set up in crappy frames, so click on "Components", and then scroll down to the bottom to see the unit. Basically controls voltage to the fan, so the start-up current spike is tiny, and runs the fan at varying speeds all the time to maintain rock-solid engine temps at a level YOU select. Pretty dang cool, and they've got a great reputation with the folks over on the Pro-Touring.com web site. It's only money, right?

Clair

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 02/28/06 04:19 PM

Dallas Dodge was able to get me a screaming deal on a dualfan flex-i-lite system that includes fans, shround, mounts, and tuneable thermostatic control with relay and all associated wiring, completely covers the radiator.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 03/11/06 04:14 AM

I got the canton remote filter mounted up, need to finish making the lines and it's ready to go. Dummied up the radiator to make sure I have clearance. Any tips on making an lines?

-Daty

Attached picture 2465510-remote.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 03/11/06 01:24 PM

yes daty on the AN lines - I dont know any tips as of yet. In calling a Rep he said your to wrap them with tape at the cut line ( hack saw or grinder cut off tool ) you want a clean cut. remove the red threaded end and slip it over the stainless line - watch your finger tips!
install in a vise and clamp the blue nut end. push the red line into place and using a wrench tighten.

the oil filter looks good, did it come with the mounting plate?

how many cfm's on your fan? looks like you have a good 3" space between the motor.

noticed your wire harness not on the sensors.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 03/11/06 03:46 PM

What size are those oil lines? I may have some line collecting dust.
I've done quite a few. If you've got a little time, I may be able to swing by on Sunday and give you a hand.
Check your messages.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 03/13/06 02:59 AM

Quote:

Any tips on making an lines?

-Daty

Wrap in tape and use a large diameter cut-off saw.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 03/13/06 05:14 AM

Got the lines made today, -10 an, and really didn't have any problems other than a few ss wire splinters in the old hands (that stinks!). Thanks for the offer on the help guys, appreciate it. Did a bit of work on the radiator, not a thing done on the fuel system though. Shreveport is in two weeks, DD is freaked about the first trip being a long one.

-Daty

Attached picture 2470609-P3130011.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 03/13/06 05:27 AM

I picked up the oil filter rig from Canton Racing Products (good stuff), he sent three 90deg and one straight, I'd recommend 4 90deg ends, the mounting plate is part of the kit, the filter is a WIX picked up locally (love the black!). I wallered out the mounting holes to square and used chrome bumper bolts to mount it to the fender (clean look) and used rubber washers between the fender and plate.

An line making isn't bad, now I have only a gillizion more to make, used clear duct tape and a dremel to cut the lines flush and 3-1 oil for easy assembly, turned out nice.

The fan is a flex-i-lite 4000 cfm unit. No wiring harness yet, that's later this week. There is about 3" clearance on the fan/motor.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 03/18/06 01:57 PM

Here's the latest pic of the engine compartment, got some new additions from the image I have been using. I'm about to pass my 2nd deadline, maybe I should stop making them and it'll be done when its done.

-Daty

Attached picture 2484879-P3180035.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 03/18/06 04:59 PM

Daty,
Did you sort out the air cleaner issue you were having? I located that old Moroso drop-base air cleaner... it IS down at my Dad's place as I suspected. He's not going to use it, so it's still yours if you want/can use it. Not sure when I can get down there to get aholt of it, though. Just got back from Colorado this morning (about 1AM) and between the weather this weekend and the house stuff that needs to get done, it'll be next week at the earliest.

BTW, love that Canton re-lo kit...

Clair

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 03/18/06 05:35 PM

Quote:

I'm about to pass my 2nd deadline, maybe I should stop making them and it'll be done when its done.

seems allot of that has been going around....I told the wife mine would be done by now too???
with a couple of weeks left, only I still have to get past this wiring harness issue.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 03/18/06 05:43 PM

Quote:

Daty,
Did you sort out the air cleaner issue you were having? I located that old Moroso drop-base air cleaner... it IS down at my Dad's place as I suspected. He's not going to use it, so it's still yours if you want/can use it. Not sure when I can get down there to get aholt of it, though. Just got back from Colorado this morning (about 1AM) and between the weather this weekend and the house stuff that needs to get done, it'll be next week at the earliest.

BTW, love that Canton re-lo kit...

Clair

How much drop do you need and what diameter?
Can you use a generic style base on the filter?

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 03/18/06 08:09 PM

Trying to recall what Daty and I talked about when he came over... The goal, IIRC, was to use the MP-type "unsilenced" air cleaner top with the drop base because the OEM base interfered with the TB linkage or something like that. I've got a tad of tweaking to do on my TB lever, too, because it also hits the base of the air cleaner. Easy tweak for me would be to simply lop off part of the lever... it's really tall and set up for the dual cables used on a Dodge Magnum truck application (MP 1000cfm billet 4V TB). I obviously don't need both cables in my stick-trans application. Not sure if Daty can get away with that, though, since he's using a different TB to start with, and is also using a juice trans with a Lokar cable, IIRC.

My main concern at the time was that the 14" More-easy air cleaner wouldn't play well with the smaller 13"? MP unit.

Clair
Posted By: BloFish

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 03/18/06 08:15 PM

This is coming along nicely

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 03/19/06 01:56 AM

I have the air cleaner just sitting on there, if I operate the throttle the linkage adapter rotates up and contacts the bottom lid. The filter is a 13". I went and checked it out closer, it looks like I need a little relief (1/4") on the throttle adapter and matbe a bit-o-hammering on the base and I'll have the clearance I need. When I first looked into this is was a "put it on and see if it hits, it does". Old memory cells fired and I remembered old Moroso bases had cutouts for linkage clearance, that sounded better than cutting on the adpater at the time so I moved on to other issues, its getting to where I need to fix this. May need to check the local parts store "performance rack" (seems to be over populated with neon and colored plastic, not cheap chrome stuff like the old days) and see if the air cleaners they have have a base that could be used.

I love the Canton relo kit too, looks great! It may have too much bling for the Pro Patina look you're after although Clair, if you store it in the garage and get a bunch of scratches and some overspray on it it'll fit right in though! 8^)

-Daty
Posted By: JonsGottaDusta

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 03/19/06 02:52 AM

Lookin Awesome Keep us updated.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 03/31/06 05:40 PM

hey daty whats been your latest progress since your last post two weeks ago?

not much happening with mine. installed my dash board with a new cap. dont like the way the material is too short on the inside guage surround lip. have the wire harness in. need to get the steering column lock and blinker assembly changed out.
Posted By: bluefish

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 04/01/06 01:12 PM

Question for all...when you wire in the computer is there the leads for the obdII and the check engine light? and will you be hooking them up?

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 04/06/06 03:02 PM

Quote:

when you wire in the computer is there the leads for the obdII and the check engine light? and will you be hooking them up?

that might depend on which system you have. not sure with the crate motor. a drop out should.

Hey Daty - I just realized my challenger was the same color as your car! cream white
here's a pic

Attached picture 2533442-Picturesof1970-chall--440HP-block-72wagon039.jpg

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 04/07/06 03:39 AM

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, I don't have a check engine light on the Cuda, and don't know if it has obd hookups, I'll find out though.

-Daty

Attached picture 2535304-P3230058.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 04/07/06 03:48 AM

I haven't had much progress, too many hours up here to really get anything done. I did find out the steering column has to be cut back to the firewall to clear the head. Got the tranny linkage hooked up, found a ujoint for my driveshaft, and got the throttle cable hooked up. Still got some big stuff like fuel and electrical to do.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 04/20/06 02:44 PM

Just keeping this alive

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 04/25/06 02:29 PM

Quote:

Just keeping this alive

seems its been slow for most of us with our cars?

I've been knocking the list down and getting a little closer with still a long list to go.

bottom of floor scraped, cleaned - painted.
brakes system and lines installed. hydrolic clutch lines done.
exhaust and tips installed. dana rear end with leaf springs and new shocks installed.
frame connectors fab-ed and welded in. radiator installed.
gas tank in and gas lines done except the return line and motor.
fitted and altered seats with fab-ed brackets ready to bolt in. carpet precut.
dash cover on and installed with wire harness.
all glass installed.

have a mock up with the electric wires - relays - computer - battery
to power the starter and crank the motor.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 04/29/06 06:35 AM

I noticed that when there is new posts I'm not getting the flag on my fav topics list, nuts...

I missed another show, the dealer that sold me the motor had a show last Sunday, I was in bed and the Cuda is still on blocks. I did get the driveshaft in and linkage hooked up, still need to do the cooler lines and speedo cable. Up top there's still a good wad left to do.

Oh yea, got the steering column in and it still rubs.

Working 50+ hours a week 3rd shift is really killing any quantity garage time, right now I'm doing good to get a few hours on Sunday and Monday, its getting bad...

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 05/03/06 03:54 AM

Here's a closeup pic of the head/steering shaft interference. I'm wondering if I can use spacers on the insulators to raise or tilt the motor a tiny amount (and possibly creating header interference in the meantime). I do need to pull the colum back out and see exactly what is rubbing.

Any other ideas?

-Daty

Attached picture 2598611-STEERING2.JPG
Posted By: RestoRick

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 05/03/06 12:49 PM

A couple ideas come to mind...
1. Jog the engine to the passenger side a touch.

2. Disassemble the steering column and modify the steering shaft with a smaller solid stock.
I suppose you could even make a weld-in coupler insert deal that would reduce the diameter in that area.

3. Yes spacing up motor mounts might do it too... as you said header clearances may be hurt with that though. Try it and see!

Rick

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 05/03/06 02:27 PM

Is it rubbing on the bolt head or on the big washer? If it's just the washer, pull the washer and lop off the lower 20% or so, then reinstall. If it's the bolt head, might look in to an allen-head or pan-head bolt. You can get them at Homie Depot or Lowes, even in stainless...

Clair

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 05/04/06 09:01 AM

Can't really tell what it is rubbing on, I "precut" the vc spacer/rubber thing thinking it may or may not clear, it looks like it is something under that though, like the boss on the head for the vc bolt. I'll pull the shaft out and see where the paint is (ohh, I painted my steering shaft) on the head and go from there. I'd rather not space the motor up, it looks like clearance would be worse, but tilting it up on the passenger side may buy enough to get by provided the motor doesn't move around too much. I have the mighty mite insulators, wonder if I need a torque strap too.

-Daty
Posted By: RestoRick

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 05/04/06 12:28 PM

I don't know if they make them for the late model Hemi, but Schumacher's torque tube setup works awesome...
it limits motion and is very beneficial in tight fit situations...

Rick

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 05/05/06 02:39 AM

I'll buzz them up and see, if anything it may be a product opportunity!

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 05/15/06 09:48 PM

The steering shaft was rubbing on the valve cover, a bit-o-dremel work on the corner of the vc and the head and now there is enough room for movement.
I did have to tilt the motor around a little bit to find the best clearance too. This is one big headache solved, and it's the first time I've spent any time on the vert in a month. I asked for next week off for vacation, they are balking a bit but I should get it, it'll mean 11 days (because of Mem. Day) straight thru.

Much better pic but pretty large, I had to ask DD (lovely wife that puts up with the mistress in the garage) what you were talking about and how to do it on my camera.

-Daty

Attached picture 2628021-P5160197.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 05/15/06 10:17 PM

Daty,

For clearer closeup pics, you can see if your camera has a macro setting, or back up a little, have plenty of light, and use the camera's zoom.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 05/18/06 05:57 AM

I asked for next week off for vacation, they are balking a bit but I should get it, it'll mean 11 days (because of Mem. Day) straight thru.

I got my vacation request!!!!!! Nightly updates here we come!

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 05/23/06 03:27 AM

Got some things done today, got the radiator mounted (27" 3 core), re-did/shortened the remote oil filter lines for heater hose and lower rad hose clearance, ordered stuff for the tranny cooler lines (here tomorrow), got some small parts picked up for install, and watched the Mavs whoop up on the Chaparrals. 8^)

The lower rad hose is still being a putz, I've gotten contact info for Glendora Dodge to ask what they did on the Feather Duster that was at Spring Fling. I called Ben Grasso at www.pfcenterprises, they used a big block driver side inlet hose radiator and a 05 300 lower hose.

-Daty

Attached picture 2645827-P5230203.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 05/27/06 12:11 AM

I've made lots of progress on the home front, got some nagging chores done and have spent lengthy quality time with DD. Got the tranny cooler lines made and in, tranny dipstick installed, and made progress on the lower rad hose. Did a couple other little things (that take forever), and now getting ready for the Mavs/Suns game, should be a doozey...

What's cool is I still have 4 more days to play on the vert befire I go back to work, only dreamed about work once this week, looks like I really needed the time off!

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 05/28/06 05:55 PM

Got the lower hose done, it took several hoses and some pipe to make the bends I needed.

-Daty

Attached picture 2658490-P5280205.JPG

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 05/29/06 12:01 AM

Keep up the good work daty, I have this tagged for archive material
Posted By: orange elephants

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 07/19/06 03:44 PM

Sounds like a real problem with interference. If the engine was shifted forward (or backward) a couple of inches, would that help the interference problems? Somehow people got a 426 hemi in those engine compartments, so surely there is some good way to fit a new hemi engine in without all the grief you have had.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 07/23/06 07:59 PM

Hey All,

I’ve hit a quandary on the hemivert and would like some opinons. In hanging the braided fuel line (-8 and -6) from the front to the rear I really don’t like the droopy factor I’m seeing. I could cut holes in the SFC Clair and I hung and run the lines thru the SFC but that would preclude inspections on the lines. Another solution would be to use that handy -AN flare tool Clair’s got and run hardlines front to rear and connect the braided hose at each end to its respective place (fuel rail, regulator, pump/cooler, and tank return). If I do this then what size hardlines are appropriate, ½ and 3/8 ths?

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 07/24/06 02:19 AM

I'm using 3/8" aluminum line, with those rubber-insulated clamps to hold it to the body.

My fuel system isn't as straight-forward as yours, but basically from the rear axle forward, the line hugs the subframe where it's welded to the unibody, then along the SFC (photo), through the hole in the chassis that the original 5/16" line still runs (that's my return line), then up to the engine bay to the regulator. The aluminum line is really easy to work with, even in a double-flare. With the AN sleeves, you only have to single flare, which saves a lot of time / heart ache.

All the rubber clamp things are held on with SS self-tapping screws I got from Homie Depot or Lowe's, and that's where I got the clamps, too. I'm sure you could find clamps sized right for your flex line. If the clamps are spaced pretty close, you won't have any reall sag problems.

Clair

Attached picture 2791380-Pressure_Line_Mounted.JPG

fuel line update - 08/03/06 02:39 PM

I have all the fuel lines run, attached is a pic of the engineside with the fuel rail and regulator. Tyson is coming by Saturday, we're going to wire the car up.

-Daty WHOOO WHOOO!!!

Attached picture 2818578-P8030118.JPG

kickdown and throttle linkage - 08/03/06 02:40 PM

pix

Attached picture 2818582-P8030116.JPG

Re: kickdown and throttle linkage - 08/03/06 03:48 PM

looks like you got it daty!

can you take a side view pic of your regulator/guage with the return line.

Re: kickdown and throttle linkage - 08/04/06 05:15 AM

Sure will, I'll do it when I get home.
How's everyone else's project soming along, mine has had time issues all year (really stinks, and entire cruise season is almost gone)?

I attached the pic requested...

-Daty

Attached picture 2820746-P8040119.JPG
Posted By: okie

Re: kickdown and throttle linkage - 08/04/06 10:16 AM

Daty, Glad to see that your almost done with it. So I guess you will be able to come up and help with the ROadRunner this winter. LOOKS GOOD! RONNIE in Okla.

Re: kickdown and throttle linkage - 08/04/06 01:04 PM

Thanks for the kudos Ronnie, Are you bringing the Dart down on Labor Day? i'm hoping/planning to bring the vert down.

-Daty

Re: kickdown and throttle linkage - 08/06/06 06:04 AM

Done a bunch of wiring but have a Q (in another posting) about where to hook up the ign wire. But what the hey here's a picture...

-Daty

Attached picture 2824646-P8060122.JPG
Posted By: 70challrtse

Re: kickdown and throttle linkage - 08/06/06 11:54 AM

Are you going to have it done for the Mini Nats ?
Posted By: Pool Fixer

Re: kickdown and throttle linkage - 08/06/06 02:14 PM

daty, I don't know if you are having hood clearance issues, but ford motorsports makes a 13" drop base that fits the mopar unsilenced air cleaner perfectly. I got mine for 22 bucks on ebay, summitt sells them for about 40.

in the attachment, the mopar in on the left, ford on the right, has a reall nice drop and clears my carblinkage and bouchillon kickdown easily

Attached picture 2824960-IMG_0232.JPG

Re: kickdown and throttle linkage - 08/06/06 03:47 PM

That's great to know, no idea if it'll clear or not, right now I think it will. I was looking at Moroso drop bases too but the filter is 1" too big.

RTSE, that's the plan, have it at the Mini-Nats, it may not be the cleanest it could be, but open headers will make up for it! I have three weekends left...

-Daty

Re: kickdown and throttle linkage - 08/06/06 10:15 PM

VEEEERY interesting on the Ford filter base, never would have thought to look for one there. It looks just like a Moroso part, only a tad smaller. Neat.

So, the mini-nats are 3 weekends away? I wonder if there's any way in h311 I can get mine done by then, too? I've TOTALLY wasted today with jacking around with a stupid anti-virus problem, but just got done. Maybe I can get out there and get the engine harness finished up... Man, working in these temps is just a killer. No end to the 100+ temps for a while, though.

Looking good, Daty! Keep that paper towel holder workin'!

Clair

Re: kickdown and throttle linkage - 08/06/06 11:41 PM

Tyson and I got about 80% of the harness for the car done (80% done, 80% to go) and in place. There's that pesky wire I started the other thread on (calling Glendora in the morning to see what they did on the Duster) but it's looking really good now though. It's back on the ground for now. I've attaching some pics of the progress. Oh yeah, it actually started raining while we were out there, cooled things off nicely...

-Daty

Attached picture 2826007-P8070123.JPG

Re: kickdown and throttle linkage - 08/06/06 11:42 PM

other side...

-Daty

Attached picture 2826008-P8070125.JPG

Re: kickdown and throttle linkage - 08/06/06 11:43 PM

front side...

-Daty

Attached picture 2826014-P8070124.JPG

! - 08/07/06 02:48 AM

Love that progress you're making! In two hours I managed to solder 4 wires... not the fastest pace, but it'll be tidy. Funny how those little things can take so long some times. I guess that's to be expected when you're trying to make EFI look at home under the hood of an A-body. I mentioned the proposed schedule for getting things done and making it to SWMMN06, and Franzi gave me "the eyebrow". That usually happens when she's calling BS on something, I think she may have some doubt that I can get it all done... I hope we can park together in A-body Modified this year. It's going to be a long haul over the next 3 weeks!

Clair

Re: ! - 08/07/06 05:21 AM

You ain't kidding on time suck-up-ers, it took me a couple hours just to get the horns back in because of the remote oil filter/E-body radiator taking space, the harness on that side being modified/stripped, running it over the engine, etc... Gotta admit after this weekend it doesn't look much different than the week before, the wiring kinda disappears because of how we laid it out (so far). Tyson made a harness for the positive batt cable/relay/starter that's real slick, took two hours.

I know "the eyebrow", usually accompanied with a haruumph or sigh of some sort and a comment along the lines of male cow brown piles.

I was hoping they'd put me in A-stock. It's all factory stuff, right???

-Daty

a bump - 08/19/06 04:02 AM

for 440whiteboy for gettng his 5.7 hemi running!

-Daty

Re: a bump - 08/19/06 10:31 AM

Put you in what class? Oh well, Just glad your about to get it going and I hope you do make it. I hope your putting ac on this one, I'll leave mine home and go with you. RONNIE

Re: a bump - 08/19/06 11:47 AM

just saw this in the morning-
thanks daty

a well deserved thumbs up after a long frustrating adventure.
not to mention a super big smile you finally get at this point.

as you know by now with so many items to knock of the list -Time is a big factor.
summer is about gone and Im only half way there.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 08/19/06 12:55 PM

Quote:

I don't have a check engine light on the Cuda, and don't know if it has obd hookups

No diagnostic plug and no MIL/CEL on the crate motor. The crate motors run a dedicated PCM and are hardwired in open loop.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 08/19/06 01:27 PM

Quote:

No diagnostic plug and no MIL/CEL on the crate motor. The crate motors run a dedicated PCM and are hardwired in open loop.

hey zippy can you define this a bit more please.

sounds like the pcm is fixed. what is the mil/cel function?

I dont have a crate. mine is stock and I will be using the obd.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 08/19/06 02:24 PM

They are the same thing....
MIL= Malfunction Indicator Lamp (the proper dcx term)
CEL= Check Engine Light (general shop term for all brands)

MP wanted to make it easy as possible for guys with older cars to install the crate motor, so they stripped the PCM down to the bare essentials to make it run in that application, and made it 100% simpler than the production wiring/computer. Open loop/no
02 sensors at all. Pretty much all your sensor readings are on the intake side + temperature related stuff. Must use a hydraulic shifted trans, also.

Also earlier there was a comment from somebody above who believed the 2 crate engine intake manifolds might be the same....they are machined differently so I guess that'd mean they aren't the same. The EFI manifold is machined for injectors wheras the carb manifold is not...not to argue or be contrary, just fyi/general info.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 08/20/06 01:59 AM

Quote:

MP wanted to make it easy as possible for guys with older cars to install the crate motor, so they stripped the PCM down to the bare essentials to make it run in that application, and made it 100% simpler than the production wiring/computer. Open loop/no
02 sensors at all. Pretty much all your sensor readings are on the intake side + temperature related stuff. Must use a hydraulic shifted trans, also.

well after you put it that way it now is starting to make some sence. thankyou zippy for explaining this.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 08/20/06 02:33 AM

So Zippy, what do you know about the alternator, does the pcm control it or do I need to remove the alt pigtail and use a normal voltage regulator?

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 08/20/06 02:35 PM

Off the top of my head, I have no idea.

Do you have the schematic? It should have come with one.
If not we can probably dig one up.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 08/21/06 12:29 PM

Quote:

They are the same thing....
MIL= Malfunction Indicator Lamp (the proper dcx term)
CEL= Check Engine Light (general shop term for all brands)

Also earlier there was a comment from somebody above who believed the 2 crate engine intake manifolds might be the same....they are machined differently so I guess that'd mean they aren't the same. The EFI manifold is machined for injectors wheras the carb manifold is not...not to argue or be contrary, just fyi/general info.

so how the heck are you supposed to tune it without any feedback? and where do you get any advantage of EFI without feedback from O2 sensors? seems like a waste to me.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 08/21/06 01:44 PM

My gut feeling is that it's got a solid tune based on a stone-stock 5.7L Hemi. Maybe it's rich enough to use headers and a good exhaust, I ASSume that the engineers that put that tune together could see that writing on the wall. Narrow-band O2 is primarily useful in emissions calibrations to keep the cats happy, and that happens at 14.7:1. Best power and best economy both occur elsewhere, so if the calibration is ON, it ought to be a great running engine. Most narrow-band O2 cars drop in to open loop at WOT, so it's the same type of system at that point.

Clair

BTW, Daty,
How's it looking for the Mini Nats? Time is slipping away over here, and the gap between what I've got to do and the time I've got to do it in keeps getting wider. I hope you're in better shape. Check out my high-dollar masking tape holder, as of about 4PM yesterday...

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 08/21/06 11:16 PM

I've got the ever-widening gap problem too, had to undo some things (hate that!) and got it back on stands now. What's that saying, 90% done and 90% to go? I'm at the 95 percentile...

Talked with the MP tech line, he said to use the alternator hookup on the engine harness, the pcm will provide alternator regulation. He also said the pcm is open loop (no O2 sensors) so it'll run a touch rich (fine considering I have headers). He said they may not get the best economy. Duelich (sp?) dynoed one last year in Hot Rod magazine, I need to dig it up and see what A/F ratios they found, it seemed reasonable IIRC.

Love the tape despenser, mine is still holding the paper towell roll proudly!

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 08/21/06 11:22 PM

Quote:

Off the top of my head, I have no idea.

Do you have the schematic? It should have come with one.
If not we can probably dig one up.

it came with a schematic but shows general line running and not individual wires, I'll call MP tomorrow and see if they have something more detailed than what came with the motor.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 08/22/06 01:21 PM

Quote:

My gut feeling is that it's got a solid tune based on a stone-stock 5.7L Hemi. Maybe it's rich enough to use headers and a good exhaust, I ASSume that the engineers that put that tune together could see that writing on the wall. Narrow-band O2 is primarily useful in emissions calibrations to keep the cats happy, and that happens at 14.7:1. Best power and best economy both occur elsewhere, so if the calibration is ON, it ought to be a great running engine. Most narrow-band O2 cars drop in to open loop at WOT, so it's the same type of system at that point.

Clair

BTW, Daty,
How's it looking for the Mini Nats? Time is slipping away over here, and the gap between what I've got to do and the time I've got to do it in keeps getting wider. I hope you're in better shape. Check out my high-dollar masking tape holder, as of about 4PM yesterday...

true, NB O2's are really only useful around stoich. but that's precisely why I'd want EFI--to have a consistant stoich part throttle A/F ratio independent of ambient temp, humidity, fuel formulation, etc. to maximize economy. WOT on most OEM systems (except maybe some of the latest ones) go open loop anyways so then you're looking at your a/f ratio only being as good as your map. buut, if open loop varies from 11:1 to 13:1 depending on humidity, bariometric pressure, ambient temp, fuel formulation, etc. it probably won't make too much difference in performance, but it would make a HUGE difference in part throttle economy (fuel mileage). as it is with my carb (600 eddie), I need to swap needles in the spring and fall as the temp drops, and the gas formulations are changed. I don't see how running open loop efi would alleviate that--except it would be uploading a "summer" map and a "winter" map.

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 08/22/06 01:49 PM

I'd bet on the open loop map is probably 13:1 out of the box at worst, with a target of somewhere around 14.7:1 under most light-medium throttle situations. You're not going to get your best mileage at 14.7:1, you'd need to be much leaner, like 16-17:1 for that. You can run that lean with no problems IF you're running light throttle and lots of advance. Unfortunately, that's not where the cat converters do their best work, and certain emissions (NOx, I think) go up. My understanding is that GM got hammered for this back in the 80's-90's because they programmed in a "highway mode" on their EFI systems, and although it got better mileage, it didn't meet EPA's req's. I think that's a shame, since you really have to be steady-state + light-throttle for a while to kick in to highway mode. That was also open-loop, but the computer would check back periodically by going back closed on some regular basis. I think this functionality is still in the GM codes, just disabled.

That's neither here nor there for Daty's setup. I think with a MAP giving a baseline baro every time you start up, air intake temp, and a known VE for the engine, you really don't NEED an O2 if you're not running cats.

Clair

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 08/22/06 03:24 PM

It could also take readings at intervals to see if adjustments are needed, don't know. When I talked with Matt at Glendora he said it runs nice and guiet but can scream when asked to so it's a thrill to drive. The only real problem he's had is the fuel gets too hot and shuts down the fuel pump. (6 hours in the desert will do that). We talked about his lines were ran and how I ran mine, his return dunps above feul level and there is no cooler on the line, so the thinking is his fuel is getting hot and areated. I ran my return into the original sender (removed the sock) and my supply is in a sump in the back, and have a line cooler post pump. He's thinking about rerouting some of his lines and see if it fixes the issue.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 08/22/06 03:57 PM

Zippy,
update on the alternator and voltage regulator issue. The wiring diagram Rich (the DC/MP call guy) has the same diagram I have that came with the motor, Rich dug around with my question and he email Eric (who designed/built the engine management system, pcm, wiring, everything) and he said I do need a late 70's VR and told me the wiring layout AND is sending me a copy of the diagram I need.

Kudos out to Rich and Eric at MP/DC! Show your bossmen how much I appreaciate the help!

Playing the old 60's Dodge/Plymouth commercial instead of generica musica or heavy handed sales blasting when on hold is a stroke of genious!

-Daty,

Attached picture 2865288-P8220191.JPG
Posted By: moper

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 08/22/06 04:30 PM

Dont know if it was posted, but what does the MP crate hemi 5.7 go for? is there a 6.1 coming?

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 08/23/06 05:24 AM

Ive seen prices from 7200 to 8000, efi is ~500 more. I got my efi crate for 7300 plus tax.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 08/24/06 06:17 AM

This is for 71Challenger, it's a compilation of some of the various threads I and others started dealing with a 5.7 swap into an older car.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/favl...amp;postmarker=

These should help, I'd probably be done by now if it weren't for my really screwy work schedule. After watching what whiteboy and others went thru on takeout motors I think the crate motor is a much easier swap, and if I did it over again I'd probably opt for the carb instead of the EFI version.

-Daty

Attached picture 2869690-download.jpg
Posted By: 70Coronet500Vert

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 08/24/06 11:37 AM

Thanks for post Daty.

I have a 13yr old that wants a mopar. The idea cooking in my overheated little head is to get a 5.7 for the coronet, I want the EFI, and swap the 360 into whatever car we get him.

So I am paying attention to these threads and hope they make it to the best of Moparts!

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 08/25/06 07:33 AM

Zippy is going to tech archive this entire thread one of these days, I imagine it'll happen when mine is on the road. I've learned a LOT over the past year (it's been that long?) on swapping a crate hemi, if I had to do it over I wouldn't piddle fart around so much and just dive right in.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 08/25/06 04:43 PM

Quote:

This is for 71Challenger, it's a compilation of some of the various threads I and others started dealing with a 5.7 swap into an older car.

These should help, I'd probably be done by now if it weren't for my really screwy work schedule. After watching what whiteboy and others went thru on takeout motors I think the crate motor is a much easier swap, and if I did it over again I'd probably opt for the carb instead of the EFI version.

-Daty

Thanks Daty!!! You Da Man!!!!!

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 08/25/06 04:53 PM

Quote:

Zippy is going to tech archive this entire thread one of these days

Soon as you're done

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 08/26/06 01:56 PM

daty didnt you tell zippy that we were done for- before we started! ha ha

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 09/03/06 07:12 AM

Major progress today, the electical system is all hooked up and no magic smoke releases! We had to jumper the starter relay with a screwdriver but the relays click and it turns over! There's some work to do on the passenger side yet, but it's looking great and sounding better!

DD (my wife and constant supporter) ran out and said "You are NOT starting this with me NOT being here!" No worries, no fuel yet sweetie...

Fuel is next...

in a week or so this thread is one year old.

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 09/03/06 07:55 AM

Hurry Daty! Hurry!!! It is time. Keep me informed on the progress. RONNIE

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 09/03/06 08:18 AM

Thanks Ronnie, no idea how much that push meant. I'm almost sunk into self pity because of how its dragged on and remembered what you're delaing with and just how perfect your FC7 Dart really is. You're am inspiriation old man (thats a good thing) to this old man. Coming down Sunday? If so I'd love for you to swing you by the place to check out the damage, it's on the way home.

972-680-9759, 972-948-4845

-Daty

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 09/03/06 11:04 AM

Daty, I vcan't get down there today, too much going on here. A lot of family problems. I may end up selling the Dart and the RoadRunner, I don't know yet. It will be hard to do since I have put so much time on both of them but we'll just have to see if we can get things worked out. If not I'll have a 70 airgrabber # matching lemon twist Roadrunner for sale with all the metal work done on it with a pickup load of new and nos parts. I'll still try to get down and see your car. LATER RONNIE

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 09/05/06 08:38 PM

I made it out to the Mini-Nats for an hour or so, spent the rest of the weekend working on the vert. The wiring is done except for mounting the pcm and replacing the nss. We can turn the motor over with the key, no fire yet (no fuel yet), and no magic smoke releases.

-Daty
Posted By: MN-ScatPack

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/13/06 08:14 PM

Is it running yet?

Re: 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Barracuda - 10/14/06 11:22 AM

Not yet, too much work and not enough time, been pulling 6 day work weeks since March.

I apologize to everyone watching this thread.

-Daty
© 2024 Moparts Forums