Moparts

Diff's between pre-'70 and '70-up alternators?

Posted By: BradH

Diff's between pre-'70 and '70-up alternators? - 01/05/05 07:20 PM

Here's my "I'm a big dummy" question for the day (or the hour, depending upon how things are going ):

Are there any functional differences between a "round back" alternator for a '69-earlier and '70-later? Seems like I've seen stuff re: differences in the charging systems (voltage regulators and???) for those year ranges, yet I see Mancini offers a couple of "repro round-back" alternators that are listed to cover all applications prior to 1975.
Posted By: dave571

Re: Diff's between pre-'70 and '70-up alternators? - 01/05/05 07:24 PM

The main difference is that the early alternator, has one field wire, while the newer has 2.

Some think that the newer alt actually has 2 fields, while the older only one. This is false.

www.davesmopar.com/techreg.htm

The newer ones start to get into higher amperage ratings, than the older ones too.

Posted By: origcharger

Re: Diff's between pre-'70 and '70-up alternators? - 01/05/05 07:38 PM

The pre 70s ground one terminal of the field at the alternator.
The 70s and newer do not have the one field terminal grounded as the voltage regulator provides a variable ground to control output.
A 70s and newer alternator can be easily adapted to work with a pre 70s charging system by simply grounding one field terminal. So if someone is selling an alternator to work on both systems they are likely providing a short ground strap or wire with instructions.
Posted By: 65Frank

Re: Diff's between pre-'70 and '70-up alternators? - 01/05/05 09:07 PM

I think you can also use pre'70 brushes (one of which grounds to the case) in a post '70 alt. Does the same thing as the jumper wire. I'm thinking about trying this on a spare alt when I get a chance.

I'm also running an old style (pre'70) electronic voltage regulator, which is cool and should work well with the new alt.
Posted By: beepbeep

Re: Diff's between pre-'70 and '70-up alternators? - 01/05/05 09:22 PM

Posted By: notnxs383

Re: Diff's between pre-'70 and '70-up alternators? - 01/05/05 11:40 PM

nice... thanks beepbeep.
© 2024 Moparts Forums