Moparts

My worst fear

Posted By: burdar

My worst fear - 12/16/12 04:36 AM

I know this is a car forum but everyone seems to stand behind its members when personal tradity strikes. If I misspell some words here please forgive me...I'm not in the best frame of mind right now.

At this moment, my beautiful little 3 year old boy is in emergency surgery. They found a mass in his brain earlier today. I'm very numb right now. I'm not a praying man but I know a lot of you are. Please keep him in your thoughts.

The sureon just came in a so far Owen is doing fine. He should be out of surgery soon. The next week is going to be critical.

Darren
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 04:36 AM

Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 04:39 AM

I'll have Owen in my thoughts... Hope everything goes well..
Posted By: amxautox

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 04:41 AM

Sure hope all will be fine. Keep your hopes up.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 04:44 AM

One of my cousins has a softball sized tumor removed from her brain in her late 20s. She lost a little hearing in her left ear & was not able to speak quite as clearly as before, but over 20 years later she is doing just fine.

I hope all goes as well or better for your little guy.
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 04:45 AM

good luck to you all.
Posted By: TheBlueBeast

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 04:48 AM

My prayers are with you, your son, and your family.
Posted By: carcrazyguy

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 04:49 AM

Quote:

good luck to you all.

Best wishes for a full/speedy recovery!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 04:53 AM

Dude, that is all parents worst fear. Don't let it paralyze you. Show a strong front and let the little guy know you love him when he comes around after surgery. Here's hoping for the best outcome possible!
Posted By: 300by500

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 04:55 AM

We'll keep you and yours in prayer, hang in there and keep us posted!
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 04:56 AM

Darren,

My thoughts and prayers are with your son and family..
Posted By: 67DodgeCharger

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 05:11 AM

Posted By: gts340swinger

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 05:12 AM

Owen will be on my mind tonight and this week. I'm sure he will be fine, just be there for him!

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 05:16 AM

I know this is stupid, but can someone change "mopar addict" to Owens dad...or something like that? I thought the mods might make an exception in this case.

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 05:17 AM

I clicked the notify moderator button for your request.
Posted By: SuperStockWagon

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 05:26 AM

Our thoughts and prayers are with Owen and your family Darren,I have a 3yr old and I can't imagine my child in that position..stay strong!
Posted By: calmopar

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 05:28 AM

My friend Bruce had a big tumor removed in High School. He had a year of rehab, but he's fine and a CPA now. Gotta be scary - I have a 3 year old myself and can't imagine. We're thinking of you all over here.
Posted By: Sixgun

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 05:57 AM

Thoughts and prayers, man, thoughts and prayers!
Love,
Another Father
Posted By: Daty Rogers

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 06:08 AM

Everyone helped me here when I had to deal with Robyn's death, trust, everyone will help you. I pray for you and your son.

-Daty
Posted By: Wicked49670dart

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 06:40 AM

Thoughts and Prayers to your family, hang in there little guy were all praying for you...Matt
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 06:45 AM

Posted By: 63CandyMatic

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 07:13 AM

Hang strong, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your child.
Posted By: srt

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 07:18 AM

Be strong for you and your family.
Thoughts and prayers for you all.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 07:28 AM

Hope and prayers here!

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 07:44 AM

Since I'm not going to get any sleep tonight, I might as well explain the situation.

On Thanksgiving Owen vomited early in the morning. After that point it was almost a daily occurance right after he wolk up in the morning. The rest of the day he felt fine. We went to the doctors a couple times and they put him on some antiboitics and an acid relux medicine.

A few days ago he started complaining of his head hurting. Today he accually started crying because of the pain and vomited. We took him to the ER right away. After his bloodwork came back negative for the usual issues, he was transfered to the Univercity of Iowa hospitals. They did a ct scan and found a mass in his brain.

He had surgury to put drain tubes in his head because the tumor was not allowing fluid to drain. He should be going for an MRI shortly. They will probably opperate on Monday to remove the tumor.
Posted By: RUMBLON

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 08:05 AM

You are in our prayers!
RUMBLON
Posted By: moparcollector

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 08:10 AM

Too much bad news lately. Let this come out OK.
Posted By: Ramrod39

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 08:18 AM

Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 10:12 AM

I will keep you in my thoughts. Hope everything goes well. There is a lot of support here.
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 10:14 AM

Posted By: idrivevintage

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 10:40 AM

Hope everything goes well on Monday...

Posted By: Daty Rogers

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 11:04 AM

Oh lordy, hope everything goes right, BTDT. Don't want to be in your position.

-Daty
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 11:30 AM

Sorry to hear this, can't imagine what you're going through. Your little one is in my thoughts and I hope the surgery goes well.
Posted By: basketcase

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 11:35 AM

thoughts and prayers to you and your family
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 11:58 AM

My son was kicked in the head by a horse, so I know all to well about head issues! Prayers are sent! If you need anything let me know! After 7 brain surgeries I know how ur are feeling!
Posted By: 426Savoy

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 12:25 PM

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 01:02 PM

Just went in for the MRI a few minutes ago. He's been sedated since the first surgury. Hopefully I'll be able to talk to him in a couple hours.
Posted By: peabodyracing

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 01:29 PM

On my way to church shortly and will sure pray for you all and your son's quick and thorough recovery. Remember God doesn't throw things our way he doesn't think we can handle.
Posted By: 72gtx4speed

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 01:38 PM

here's to a speedy recovery.

clem
Posted By: brads70

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 02:07 PM

Thinking/praying for you and your family!
Posted By: mopar_man

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 02:23 PM

Prayers from Newfoundland , With the modern medicines and surgery techniques they have today , I think you and your family will have good results.
Posted By: Ludington1

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 02:28 PM

I'm sitting here with Sofia, my own 3 year old, and can't imagine what you're feeling. We will keep Owen in our thoughts.

Darren
Posted By: bobs66440

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 02:51 PM

My prayers are with you and your son.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 02:56 PM

we're with you dad.

good luck!

these Docs know what they're doing. sounds like the tumor is easy enough to get to, otherwise they wouldn't risk surgery.

Hopefully he'll make a full recovery, and you'll be teaching him how to drive in 13 years
Posted By: CUDAJAS

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 03:02 PM

Quote:

we're with you dad.

good luck!

these Docs know what they're doing. sounds like the tumor is easy enough to get to, otherwise they wouldn't risk surgery.

Hopefully he'll make a full recovery, and you'll be teaching him how to drive in 13 years

Try to stay stong and positive.

All the best.

Jason
Posted By: tboomer

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 03:51 PM

We are pulling for ya! U of I neuro department is very good! Give that little fella hug from us!!
Posted By: Shoozy

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 03:58 PM

You are in our thoughts and prayers

Tim and Vicki
Posted By: SanityLost

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 04:06 PM

Thoughts and prayers out to you and your Family.
Stay strong and positive
Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 04:17 PM

Quote:

Thoughts and prayers out to you and your Family.
Stay strong and positive

Ditto.
God Bless.

Tim
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 04:29 PM

Not a prayin' man, but good thoughts sent to him and you!
Had an associate who had a brain tumor. He found a great doc and is still with us today!
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 04:32 PM

Hope everything goes well for the little guy...hang in there dad.

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 04:36 PM

I'm still wondering about Owen. Hope all goes well today!!
Posted By: MikeyT

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 04:38 PM

Burder,

Thoughts and prayers all the way for your little guy.
I hope everything turns out well.
Mike

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 09:19 PM

The MRI took forever. They ordered 5 different scans. He's awake now but very groggy. No one has been in to discuss the findings of the scan. Waiting is horrible.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 09:22 PM

Thoughts and positive energy are with Owen, you, and the rest of your family.

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 09:23 PM

Hang in there!

He's going to need Daddy to be strong for him.

I'll send out a prayer for you and him.
Posted By: wally426ci

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 09:50 PM

As the father of an almost 3 yr old and a 1 year old, my thoughts are with you. I really can't imagine what it is like. I know that anything happening to our children is my worst fear as well. Be strong for him, somehow.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 10:20 PM

Posted By: tored1971

Re: My worst fear - 12/16/12 11:15 PM

Hang in there my friend, like others have said be strong and positive for you, him and the rest of the family.

Ou thoughts and prayers.

Tucker, Kathy and Phil
Posted By: 70dart318

Re: My worst fear - 12/17/12 01:24 AM

Prayers sent your way.
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: My worst fear - 12/17/12 01:29 AM

Sorry to hear of this. Prayers sent for Owen,your family, and all who know and love him.
Posted By: indy dart

Re: My worst fear - 12/17/12 01:33 AM

Been checking in all day for an update. I had a 50 year old friend experienced the same thing and came through just fine. I'll say a prayer.
Posted By: Pool Fixer

Re: My worst fear - 12/17/12 04:03 AM

extra prayers for the little guy!

Posted By: birdboy

Re: My worst fear - 12/17/12 04:21 AM

thinking about you and your son
Posted By: hotairballoonpilot

Re: My worst fear - 12/17/12 04:58 AM

Darren been following your posts on the challenger and honestly told myself this post probably would be about your dad. Never figured about your son. I pray he has healing hands over him in the days to come. May you rest easily others will pray for him as I am sure you will be too.

Corey
Posted By: Road_RunnerSteve

Re: My worst fear - 12/17/12 05:17 AM

Praying for Owen... hang in there Dad.
Posted By: nutso suave

Re: My worst fear - 12/17/12 07:06 AM

your little boy is in my thoughts and prayers. get well little guy!

Re: My worst fear - 12/17/12 08:53 AM

The words of support mean a lot. This is something that I never imagined we'd have to go through.

The neurological staff was busy in surgery today. It looks like they basically forgot to come talk to us.(no hard feelings...these things happen) A doctor came in to see us about an hour ago. The tumor is right around the area where the spinal chord meets the brain. It has NOT spread past that area. The last I heard it was about 2cm in length. Surgery will not be Monday but should be sometime this week. It's a tricky area to opperate on since so many areas of the body are controled there.

Right now the hardest part is keeping a 3 year old in bed and calm when there are a million things hooked up to him.
Posted By: therocks

Re: My worst fear - 12/17/12 12:32 PM

I hope everything goes well.Rocky

Re: My worst fear - 12/17/12 01:00 PM

Well, it's great news that it hasn't spread. I can't imagine what you must be going through, but I am hoping all goes well.
Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: My worst fear - 12/17/12 01:45 PM

Thoughts and prayers for Owen and You. Stay strong and think positive. Theres some really good apps for phones/Ipad/kindles that can keep him busy. Nickelodeon paint/art and Wheres my water are two that I'd recommend. Focus on the best outcome not the worst. We're here to listen..
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: My worst fear - 12/17/12 05:27 PM

my thoughts are with you and your son.

Dave
Posted By: stumpy

Re: My worst fear - 12/17/12 05:42 PM

Our best thoughts for your son and your family.
Posted By: tommyg

Re: My worst fear - 12/17/12 06:26 PM

My thoughts are with you. Can't stop thinking about Owen. Please keep up us posted.
Posted By: crazyjjk

Re: My worst fear - 12/17/12 07:18 PM

My thoughts are with Owen, you and your family. You are in my prayers.
Posted By: barrycuda

Re: My worst fear - 12/17/12 08:18 PM

my thoughts and prayers are with Owen and family!!! stay positive Darren.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: My worst fear - 12/17/12 09:01 PM

Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: My worst fear - 12/17/12 09:05 PM

We're pullin' for you and Owen.
Posted By: m88mark

Re: My worst fear - 12/17/12 09:05 PM

Hoping for the best. Mark

Re: My worst fear - 12/17/12 10:12 PM

We're a little upset today. The doctor that spoke to us last night must not have been in the loop. There ARE a couple areas in the spine that are questionable. ONE person should talk to the family...someone who know what's going on.

So, it looks like he's going to need chemo for sure. They are trying to get him into surgery tomorrow at around noon. That's not set in stone.

The steroids they have him on are making him crazy. He's not acting like my little guy. He had maybe 2 hours sleep last night. He's been screaming and crying most of the day. My best friend and his wife are here now. They got him calmed down. He's putting a Hot Wheels track together now.

Re: My worst fear - 12/17/12 10:17 PM

Thanks for checking in to update us. I think this is the 10th time I've checked this thread today alone. We're all thinking about you and your entire family.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: My worst fear - 12/17/12 10:21 PM

Your family is in my thoughts, let us know if we can help in any way.
Posted By: 68SportSatvert

Re: My worst fear - 12/18/12 03:59 AM

I just prayed for you. I was treated at the U of I a lifetime ago and they are some of the best. God will guide their hands and care for Owen and give you the strength you need. All you have to do is ask him. Trust me when I say that.... God Bless you and your family
Posted By: Molloy

Re: My worst fear - 12/18/12 05:15 AM

Praying for the best possible outcome.

Re: My worst fear - 12/18/12 05:31 AM

Yes praying for your little guy! A friend of mine I worked with at my part time job use to live in Sioux city ia. He had a type of brain cancer I think 10+ years ago and is still cancer free. When he shaves his head and the hair starts to grow back in you can clearly see the scar where they took off his skull during the surgery. Reason I am telling you that is to hopefully give you hope. Believe in prayer and have faith it will be just a tiny speed bump in your life. Doug my friend is now a very passionate Christian. He believes the reason he is here to this day is by Gods grace and all the prayers. God does not give you more than you can handle. Trust in him and he will guide you.
Posted By: Dart_Girl

Re: My worst fear - 12/18/12 06:49 AM

Jesus Joesph Mary and all of the Saints. If I had only knew I would have saved a prayer for your lad.

I miss things from time to time. Do not think that I have forgotton you or your family. YES WE DO stand behind our members the good bad and the ugly I am living proof of that.

There are no words I can tell you to comfort you. There is no answer coming from Me. I can simply say that if you need to talk PM Me or have your wife PM Me and I will hand out My private number and just listen.

That is all I wanted when I lost My wee one. You have hope and that is a good start. I am in your corner. I got you.

Man, I do not know you personally but this really brings a tear to My eye. Thank you for sharing, sometimes We need to get things out even if We think nobody is listening or nobody cares.

What...what if someone DOES care? There you go. I care.

Love,
Eve.
Posted By: Ludington1

Re: My worst fear - 12/18/12 07:14 AM

I sent you a PM, Darren... Call me any time, night or day.

Re: My worst fear - 12/18/12 11:05 AM

Again, thanks everyone for the support. It mean more than you know. Owen has been having a better night. We got about four hours sleep which is 3 1/2 hours more then last night.

The doctors have him on steroids. He has some pretty violent rage episodes so they have him on a mild sedative. That really does a good job of taking the edge off.

Today is going to be very long. Doctors have another small child to opperate on right away in the morning. Owen is next in line. They are thinking maybe around noon. That means it will be 1 or 2. They say it will take about 6 hours...so it will probably be more like 8 to 10.

Re: My worst fear - 12/18/12 11:18 AM

Darren - y'all are still in our prayers. Please post updates this afternoon/evening as often as you can. Don't know about anyone else but I check this thread every couple hours daily.

Re: My worst fear - 12/18/12 11:37 AM

Best of luck for your son. I pray everything turns out fine.
Posted By: 68427vette

Re: My worst fear - 12/18/12 11:39 AM

hang in there, be strong, i hug my 6 year old everyday!! even more lately.... be strong..

Re: My worst fear - 12/18/12 11:39 AM

hang in there Dad

Re: My worst fear - 12/18/12 02:31 PM

Support coming your way in the form of thoughts and well wishes from this part of Ohio.
Posted By: gtsuperbee

Re: My worst fear - 12/18/12 04:27 PM

I hope you all the best. My little boy just turned 4 saturday.
Posted By: Polarabill

Re: My worst fear - 12/18/12 05:48 PM

Owen,you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.My wish is for a complete and speedy recovery for Owen. Hang tough Dad,you will get through this.

Re: My worst fear - 12/18/12 07:33 PM

They just took Owen into the opperating room. I'm not sure how long it will be. THey keep saying different lengths of time.

Instead of waiting in the PICU where it's quiet, they have us crammed into a small waiting room filled with other people. Stupid!

I gave Owen a big kiss and asked him how much he loved me. He opened up his arms as wide as they would go. Then I asked him if he knew how much I loved him. Again, he opened up his arms as wide as they would go.
Posted By: HoosierTA

Re: My worst fear - 12/18/12 07:43 PM

People here are with you in spirit. Lets hope for wonderful news.

Re: My worst fear - 12/18/12 07:45 PM

All will be good God watch over him and the doctors! Guide them all in this time of need. Stay strong Darren.

Re: My worst fear - 12/18/12 07:50 PM

Bless the little guy. Hope all goes well.

Re: My worst fear - 12/18/12 07:52 PM

Quote:

All will be good, God watch over him and the doctors! Guide them all in this time of need. Stay strong Darren.

Amen Amen to that!!

Re: My worst fear - 12/18/12 08:21 PM

Quote:

They just took Owen into the opperating room. I'm not sure how long it will be. THey keep saying different lengths of time.

Instead of waiting in the PICU where it's quiet, they have us crammed into a small waiting room filled with other people. Stupid!

I gave Owen a big kiss and asked him how much he loved me. He opened up his arms as wide as they would go. Then I asked him if he knew how much I loved him. Again, he opened up his arms as wide as they would go.

Doctors can do amazing things. They'll take good care of him. Thank you for keeping us posted and I'll keep up the prayers.

Re: My worst fear - 12/18/12 10:03 PM

Just checking in still praying for you all!

Re: My worst fear - 12/18/12 10:52 PM

No news yet. Just sitting in an uncomforatable chair waiting.
Posted By: stormer41

Re: My worst fear - 12/18/12 11:02 PM

Hang in there Dad.....Was told that the Good Lord doesn't give us any more than He knows we can handle.....Thoughts and prayers.....Curt Hildebrandt and family..

Re: My worst fear - 12/18/12 11:17 PM

Surgery is going well. They are just starting to "close". However, "closing" will take an hour and a half. I hope they were able to get a good portion of it.

Re: My worst fear - 12/18/12 11:24 PM

Thats great news!!! With a little bit of Chemo and maybe some radiation , he'll be a good as new in no time. Hopefully by next Christmas all this will be on the back burner and forgot about . hang in there .

Re: My worst fear - 12/18/12 11:29 PM

On a side note 2 years ago they found what they thought was a spot on my thymph node by my throat area. Did scope surgery to find it wasn't cancerous I am wishing my good fortune then on you guys now that this isn't cancerous but just a growth! Stay strong! Like others said this is nothing that God doesn't know you and your family can handle. This will just make this and every Xmas from here on out that much more special to everyone!
Posted By: 70Runnerdude

Re: My worst fear - 12/18/12 11:31 PM

Looks like you and your Son are doing better! Hope all is well and will say a prayer for your son and a speedy recovery !

Re: My worst fear - 12/18/12 11:47 PM

Quote:

Surgery is going well. They are just starting to "close". However, "closing" will take an hour and a half. I hope they were able to get a good portion of it.

Posted By: jcastle1

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 12:18 AM

I don't know you but I'm praying for God's watch over your son.Scary stuff we have to deal with.

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 01:04 AM

The surgeon came to talk to us about 20 minutes ago. He said he's 99% sure he knows what type of cancer it is. He said that type is know to spread a lot. Owen's tumor sprouted a couple fingers...one towards the outside of the brain and one towards the inside. Everyone we talked to said this surgeon is the leading surgeon for childrens brain tumors. He must be because he got a smile on his face and said "I GOT IT"

He said there is still a long road ahead but this was the big hump that we had to get over. He said Owen's prognosis is much better now that he was able to remove the entire tumor.
Posted By: RangerDan440

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 01:06 AM

Quote:

He said there is still a long road ahead but this was the big hump that we had to get over. He said Owen's prognosis is much better now that he was able to remove the entire tumor.

Fantastic! Brought a smile to my face, I know that must be a big relief

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 01:14 AM

That's some great news!

You'll still have a tough road ahead but at least it will be bearable!

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 01:15 AM

Made my day right there.
Give the little guy a BIG Moparts hug from all of us.

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 01:17 AM

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 01:22 AM

Quote:

That right there brought tears to my eyes...

I'm very glad to hear the encouraging news.
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 01:23 AM

Praying for your little guy.
Posted By: 68HemiB

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 01:50 AM

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 02:03 AM

and a

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 02:36 AM

Posted By: Southern Wolf

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 02:43 AM

Thank GOD it sounds like the surgery went great. I pray and cry every time I read this thread.

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 02:59 AM

I am so happy I am actually crying. I hope and pray that things go quickly and smoothly for Owen's recovery. We want updates (new threads with lots of pictures).

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 03:07 AM

GREAT news!!!!

Hang in there my friend.

Tucker, Kathy and Phil
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 03:18 AM

Hoping for the best for you. No one deserves to go through this but hopefully it will be a terrific outcome.

Sheldon

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 03:27 AM

Thank God. Give that boy a hug for all of us!

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 03:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That right there brought tears to my eyes...

I'm very glad to hear the encouraging news.

You are not the only one it brought tears to! That is great news!! Was away from being able to check this and was hoping this was the good news I would see! Prayers have been answered!

Corey

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 03:45 AM

That is great to hear! Hang in there, keep your head high.
Posted By: mopower440

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 03:52 AM

prayers sent!

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 05:38 AM

The surgeon was pretty confident he got it all. They are going to do another MRI in a day or two just to make sure.

We will be here for at least 2 weeks letting him recover from this. Then once they know 100% what this is, they can plan the chemo treatment. Hopefully he'll be able to move around and open presents by Christmas.

He's still really out of it, but the nurse just got him to move his legs and feet as well as his right hand.
Posted By: 69CoronetRT

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 05:42 AM

Quote:

The surgeon came to talk to us about 20 minutes ago. He said he's 99% sure he knows what type of cancer it is. He said that type is know to spread a lot. Owen's tumor sprouted a couple fingers...one towards the outside of the brain and one towards the inside. Everyone we talked to said this surgeon is the leading surgeon for childrens brain tumors. He must be because he got a smile on his face and said "I GOT IT"

Whew! Great news! What hospital is he in?

Just curious...how would the little guy react to Christmas/get well cards from "Daddy's car friends on the internets"?

How about an address where we can send a little something to help speed the recovery??

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 06:38 AM

Right now he's in the PICU at the U of I Hospital. I just googled the address

200 Hawkins Drive Iowa City, IA 52242
Posted By: PLATINUM6BBL

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 06:48 AM

Prayers for Owen & you.
Back in July of 2008 this board was there for me as my brother, business partner and brother in Christ went through death and back to life from a spontaneous brain bleed. Great guys & gals on here. If you'd like to read my testimony send me a PM.
Blessings & Peace,
Lon

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 12:58 PM

Great news to hear it went well. I hope the recovery goes as well.

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 02:00 PM

Prayers are still going out for you. If there is anything needed by you or your family do not be afraid to ask.
Posted By: Slotts

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 03:40 PM

Hey Darren. Owen is on our church prayer chain here in Pittsburgh.

Jim
Posted By: MrNormTA

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 03:51 PM

I never thought a post on the board would make me cry! As I clicked on this thread to start reading I recieved a text about a young boy unexpectantly passing from complications from the flu. He was a young man I had the priviledge to watch play basketball with my 10yr.old son on a travel basketball league. Already upset I read about your struggles and my heart goes out to you in your time of need. Keep God in your hearts and it will be fine. Praying for your son to make a speedy recovery!
Posted By: 70dart318

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 04:02 PM

Great news
Posted By: rrbrucea

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 04:23 PM

Quote:

Do we need a room number to send him a little "something"?

Special thanks to Mike Williams.

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 04:52 PM

Awesome news! My eyes are a little blurry, as well. Very happy he came through with flying colors and the surgeon is confident. I've checked the thread often.

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 06:16 PM

Right now we are in room 18. I think we will be here another week. Early next week he'll have another surgery to install a permanant drain tube in his head.

The nurses just took him down for another MRI. Hopefuly that confirms there are no small pieces of the tumor left behind. Even if there are some pieces, they are confident they are well under the threshold for chemo. Meaning that there is a certain amount of the tumor they need to remove so that the chemo has a good chance of working. They are confindent that they have met that.

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 06:36 PM

Super good news.

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 06:43 PM

Be looking for a small package from North Carolina Friday or Saturday hopefully. We're all praying and pulling for Owen!

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 06:58 PM

He'll love it. Thanks so much!!!

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 07:19 PM

Awesome news Darren.

Grandma and Grandpa should find a box for Owen in your mail today, by the way.
Posted By: SanityLost

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 07:35 PM

GREAT NEWS!!!
Posted By: NewbombTurkk

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 09:28 PM

keep us updated....the people on this board are great......
Posted By: stormer41

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 10:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Do we need a room number to send him a little "something"?

Special thanks to Mike Williams.

Does Owen like Johnny Lightning cars????....My slot drag track has afew Mopars he might like..Should we wait til he's in a room????
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: My worst fear - 12/19/12 10:53 PM

Sending the most sincere best wishes for a positive outcome!

Re: My worst fear - 12/20/12 04:25 AM

Quote:

Grandma and Grandpa should find a box for Owen in your mail today, by the way.

They found a package in the mail today. Hopefully they'll get it here on Friday. The snow is starting to fall so I told them not to risk the roads tomorrow.

Quote:

Does Owen like Johnny Lightning cars????....

He loves Hot Wheels cars exc... He was asking for more cars yesterday morning.

Still waiting for todays MRI report. Those guys are very busy. Owen hasn't been very alert today. I hope it's just part of the healing process. He's having trouble focusing his eyes. They look a little cross eyed. He can make out how many fingers you hold up from a close distance though. He asked for a cookie and a brownie today and asked me to sing "My Grandfather's Clock"...his favorite song.

Re: My worst fear - 12/20/12 04:27 AM

Quote:

They are confindent that they have met that.

Re: My worst fear - 12/20/12 05:05 AM

Put a little stocking stuffer items together and getting it in the mail tomorrow. Wishing you the best from here on out!

Corey
Posted By: jose jones

Re: My worst fear - 12/20/12 06:11 AM

Quote:

I know this is a car forum but everyone seems to stand behind its members when personal tradity strikes. If I misspell some words here please forgive me...I'm not in the best frame of mind right now.

At this moment, my beautiful little 3 year old boy is in emergency surgery. They found a mass in his brain earlier today. I'm very numb right now. I'm not a praying man but I know a lot of you are. Please keep him in your thoughts.

The sureon just came in a so far Owen is doing fine. He should be out of surgery soon. The next week is going to be critical.

Darren

Darren, sorry to hear about this, Feel free to ask to the Lord for help with your son even if you are not a praying man, it will bring you comfort,and bless your son and family, we will keep him in our prayers also

Re: My worst fear - 12/20/12 03:11 PM

Quote:

They found a package in the mail today. Hopefully they'll get it here on Friday. The snow is starting to fall so I told them not to risk the roads tomorrow.

Yup whenever it gets to him is great. Let me know if there's anything else I can do.
Posted By: Mopar Grandpa

Re: My worst fear - 12/20/12 05:04 PM

Good news indeed! In your OP you said you were not a man of prayer. You should be now as you've seen the power of praying people first hand. Now it's time for prayers of thanks. God is good ALL of the time!
Posted By: Troy

Re: My worst fear - 12/20/12 08:57 PM

Re: My worst fear - 12/20/12 09:52 PM

Mailed Xmas stocking stuffer just now. Said should get there Saturday. Best wishes!
Posted By: GoDartGo

Re: My worst fear - 12/20/12 10:59 PM

Quote:

God is good ALL of the time!

Re: My worst fear - 12/21/12 01:21 PM

Darren - any updates for us?

Re: My worst fear - 12/21/12 04:41 PM

Owen had a good day yesterday. He is more alert all the time. His eyes seem to be improoving too. He's moving around more in bed and saying he wants to go home.

Yesterday wasn't a good day for me however. I was still feeling good about the surgery in the morning until the Oncology people came in to introduce themselves. I'm not ready to think about that. I pretty much tried to sleep the entire day.

Re: My worst fear - 12/21/12 04:48 PM

It looks like Owen might go back into surgery tomorrow to install a permanent shunt in his head. They usually want to keep people in the ICU for a day just to make sure everything is working properly before being moved to the main floor.

With the shunt, he probably won't be able to play football or go out for wrestling. Going on roller coasters probably is a no no as well.

Re: My worst fear - 12/21/12 04:57 PM

Quote:

Owen had a good day yesterday. He is more alert all the time. His eyes seem to be improoving too. He's moving around more in bed and saying he wants to go home.

Yesterday wasn't a good day for me however. I was still feeling good about the surgery in the morning until the Oncology people came in to introduce themselves. I'm not ready to think about that. I pretty much tried to sleep the entire day.

It looks like Owen might go back into surgery tomorrow to install a permanent shunt in his head. They usually want to keep people in the ICU for a day just to make sure everything is working properly before being moved to the main floor.

With the shunt, he probably won't be able to play football or go out for wrestling. Going on roller coasters probably is a no no as well.

Hang in there Dad, but don't hold all the stress in either - find a way to let it out, even if it is just spending a while by yourself with a good cry.

No football or roller-coasters will be a small price to pay.

Re: My worst fear - 12/21/12 05:05 PM

Football is irrelevant. Having a son to love and that obviously loves you is all that matters so you hang in there and keep the updates coming. The Moparts support group is open for business, as always.

Re: My worst fear - 12/21/12 05:48 PM

Quote:

Football is irrelevant. Having a son to love and that obviously loves you is all that matters so you hang in there and keep the updates coming. The Moparts support group is open for business, as always.

Hang in there man.

Jason
Posted By: Billy B Bad

Re: My worst fear - 12/22/12 06:36 PM

Hang In there, prayers are sent your way.

Re: My worst fear - 12/22/12 09:33 PM

an news today? hows he doing?

Re: My worst fear - 12/23/12 12:16 AM

Hoping for some positive results Darren!

Re: My worst fear - 12/23/12 12:29 AM

Owen had his third surgery in a week today. They put in a permanent shunt to drain the fluid out of his head. The nurse just came in and said he needs yet another MRI right now just to make sure everything was placed in the correct spot. They are working hard to try and het him home on Christmas for a few days.

His face just got red and blochy so they are making sure he isn't having an allergic reaction to anything. I noticed it a little the other day too.

Re: My worst fear - 12/23/12 04:45 PM

keeping the headed your way.

Re: My worst fear - 12/23/12 05:05 PM

X 2. Hang in there Darren.

Re: My worst fear - 12/23/12 05:08 PM

Quote:

X 2. Hang in there Darren.

Still in our thoughts and prayers.

Tim

Re: My worst fear - 12/23/12 07:14 PM

Hang in there stay strong and you will pull through this!

corey
Posted By: Stewpar

Re: My worst fear - 12/23/12 09:19 PM

Your Son and family will be in our thoughts, stay positive.

Re: My worst fear - 12/23/12 09:31 PM

Good to hear they are making progress! Hang in there and Merry Christmas!

Re: My worst fear - 12/24/12 01:30 AM

Thanks for the continued support. Owen seems to be gaining strength every day. He was moved from the PICU to the regular childerens wing today. We had him sitting up in bed and he was able to play with some of his cars a little.

Re: My worst fear - 12/24/12 01:35 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the continued support. Owen seems to be gaining strength every day. He was moved from the PICU to the regular childerens wing today. We had him sitting up in bed and he was able to play with some of his cars a little.

Great. Patience will be rewarded.

Re: My worst fear - 12/24/12 02:10 AM

Good to hear!!! he doing good!! ,, on a side NOTE,, keep all and any kids away from him,, the BUG and other strep is going around VERY BADLY!!!! so keep him clear of kids, and keep putting hand sanitizer on!!! get a bottle for his room!!!

Re: My worst fear - 12/24/12 05:09 AM

Quote:

GREAT GREAT news!

Re: My worst fear - 12/24/12 05:13 AM

Great news! Hope you can get him home on Christmas.
Posted By: Mopar Grandpa

Re: My worst fear - 12/24/12 05:14 AM

So good to hear he's improving. God Bless.

Re: My worst fear - 12/24/12 05:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

GREAT GREAT news!

Great to hear!

Re: My worst fear - 12/24/12 05:39 AM

Quote:

WOOOHOOO!

Re: My worst fear - 12/24/12 09:40 PM

Owen is home!

He is still scared because he can't see very well. Everything is blurry. One eye isn't tracking with the other one. Hopefully that continues to improve. Our next apt will be on the 3rd when we will be talking about chemo. He also has an apt the 7th to remove all the stitches.

Before leaving the hospital, I made sure his nurse knew there might be some care packages still on their way. She said they would be forwarded to us if any did show up. I feel bad for giving out the hospital address because I thought we would be there longer then this.

Re: My worst fear - 12/24/12 09:47 PM

I am so glad he is home for Christmas.

Re: My worst fear - 12/24/12 09:52 PM

Awesome that Owen can spend Christmas at home!

Re: My worst fear - 12/24/12 09:59 PM

Great news. Hoping he continues to improve!

Re: My worst fear - 12/24/12 10:00 PM

Quote:

Owen is home!

He is still scared because he can't see very well. Everything is blurry. One eye isn't tracking with the other one. Hopefully that continues to improve. Our next apt will be on the 3rd when we will be talking about chemo. He also has an apt the 7th to remove all the stitches.

Before leaving the hospital, I made sure his nurse knew there might be some care packages still on their way. She said they would be forwarded to us if any did show up. I feel bad for giving out the hospital address because I thought we would be there longer then this.

That is great to hear that Owen is home!

All the best for a speedy recvoery.

Merry Christmas to you all!

Jason

Re: My worst fear - 12/24/12 10:13 PM

Owen you stay strong little man.
Posted By: gch

Re: My worst fear - 12/24/12 10:24 PM

God Bless Owen and your family.I will pray for his continued improvement and for your patience and understanding to grow.

Miracles happen every day and none more miraculous than through a child.Merry Christmas and stay strong.Hope never dies.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: My worst fear - 12/24/12 10:54 PM

Quote:

I am so glad he is home for Christmas.

Same here I can see outs continued prays were help!
Posted By: Meangreen68

OH, Oh, oh... - 12/24/12 11:05 PM

Merry Christmas Owen!

Re: OH, Oh, oh... - 12/25/12 04:29 AM

That is a Christmas miracle!!! Great news!! Home is where the heart is and the best healing can be done now! Best wishes from here on out! Btw did my package make it? I never put a tracking on it so hope it made it. Either way I would rather hear he is home than know it made it! Hope Santa makes a great visit there tonight!!!

Corey
Posted By: HEMIDOG 70

Re: OH, Oh, oh... - 12/25/12 05:40 AM

Merry Christmas prayers sent your way.

Re: OH, Oh, oh... - 12/25/12 02:08 PM

I just saw this - thanks for a nice Christmas present. You all stay strong and enjoy your Christmas day. We appreciate the updates - please keep them coming.

Re: OH, Oh, oh... - 12/25/12 03:49 PM

That is awesome news to hear. No place like home! He'll probably heal quicker at home too. Have a Merry Christmas

Can you post or pm me your mailing address so
I can send Owen so cars?

Posted By: m88mark

Re: OH, Oh, oh... - 12/25/12 05:18 PM

It always helps to be home, Godspeed little guy.
Posted By: 72gtx4speed

Re: OH, Oh, oh... - 12/25/12 05:34 PM

merry christmas burdar. that is the greatest gift your secret santa sent you.
god bless, clem

Re: OH, Oh, oh... - 12/26/12 01:50 AM

Great news that he made it home. stay strong and Merry Christmas!
Posted By: Dago Red

Re: OH, Oh, oh... - 12/26/12 02:15 AM

This heathen is on his knees. Merry Christmas Owen!

Re: My worst fear - 12/26/12 02:34 AM

What a wonderful answer to prayer, and a marvelous Christmas present! Great to hear!
Posted By: HoosierTA

Re: My worst fear - 12/26/12 03:03 AM

That is the happiest news in a long time. I hope your family had a wonderful christmas.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: My worst fear - 12/26/12 03:10 AM

Great news!
Posted By: dm69charger

Re: My worst fear - 12/26/12 05:41 PM

That is GREAT news. God bless. Merry Christmas Miracle to you and yours. Many prayers for the continued recovery of the little guy.

Re: My worst fear - 12/26/12 05:53 PM

Owen was all smiles yesterday afternoon. Every morning he is noticeably better. Here's a picture timeline of his hospital stay. I'm glad we have these pictures because the last 10-12 days are a blur.

Saturday morning(Dec 15)

Saturday night(Dec 15)installed drain tube in head

Second surgery...Removal of brain tumor.(Dec 18)

Third surgery(Dec 22)...Installation of shunt

Dec 23

Dec 24

Christmas afternoon

Some of Owen's stitches

Re: My worst fear - 12/26/12 06:05 PM

Great pics and great news, like I said in an earlier post "this time next year this experience will be a fading memory "
Your son seems to be doing great, now go and enjoy the holidays and give him a big hug from us Mopart nuts.
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: My worst fear - 12/26/12 06:22 PM

Im so happy to hear about your son making it home for Christmas! Im sure he felt good to wake up at home Christmas morning.We'll keep praying for a full recovery!

Re: My worst fear - 12/26/12 06:38 PM

What a strong little guy! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

We still have him in our prayers.
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: My worst fear - 12/26/12 08:08 PM

What a trooper! Hansome boy too. Thank god for modern medicine and surgery techniques. 20 years ago it possibly would have not been operable. Give him a great big hug from my wife and I.
Posted By: jagrunt551

Re: My worst fear - 12/27/12 01:01 AM

Brave little boy!!! Glad to hear everything seems to be headed in the right direction.

Re: My worst fear - 12/27/12 01:05 AM

Awesome news and pictures!! Continue to stay strong and you will pull through this with a new found respect for things we all cannot control.

Re: My worst fear - 12/27/12 01:06 AM

Awesome to hear!

Re: My worst fear - 12/27/12 01:10 AM

Quote:

"this time next year this experience will be a fading memory "
Your son seems to be doing great, now go and enjoy the holidays and give him a big hug from us Mopart nuts.

Well said!

Re: My worst fear - 12/27/12 01:54 AM

Keep getting stronger Owen.

Re: My worst fear - 12/27/12 02:19 AM

Today was a great day. He seems to wake up better every morning. He got tired around noon and wanted to take a nap. After he woke up he was a different child. He got down on the floor and started playing with toys. He crawled on his hands and knees to get where he wanted to go.(he still can't walk...too unstable) He acted like the old Owen.

Then my wife and I got two calls from the hospital. They want to see us there tomorrow for two appointments. Now I'm all stressed out again. This up and down crap sucks!

Re: My worst fear - 12/27/12 02:28 AM

Hopefully it is just to check simple things and progress. Be positive.
Posted By: 70runner

Re: My worst fear - 12/27/12 03:17 AM

I shared your story with a nephew who is a 2nd yr neurosurgery resident at Loma Linda Univ, Redlands. He said pediatric neuro is one of the most challenging specialties - for obvious reasons. He emphasized the techniques and technology improve almost daily. Stuff they wouldn't even consider a year ago is now done routinely.

I'm sure he's in good hands, literally. Our hope and prayers go out to you and your family.

Re: My worst fear - 12/28/12 05:20 AM

Darren,

You have a pm from me. Stay strong. We are all pulling for you and will continue to keep you,your wife,family and most of all Owen in our thoughts and prayers.

Corey
Posted By: 63CandyMatic

Re: My worst fear - 12/28/12 07:29 AM

Keep hanging in there. He's doing great, and has a lot of folks pulling for him!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We'll keep hoping for good news and continued healing.
Posted By: nutso suave

Re: My worst fear - 12/28/12 08:29 AM

thoughts, positive thoughts! and prayers for your son. get well soon!

Re: My worst fear - 12/28/12 04:17 PM

While we were in the hospital I had a gut feeling we weren't being told everything. Yesterday they finally told us the whole story and it isn't looking good.

Owen's cancer is highly aggressive and growing fast. His prognosis isn't good. The doctors gave us three options. The first option is to do nothing. If we went that route, Owen would be gone in six months. The second option involves extremely high doses of chemo and some type of bone marrow transplant.(I don't know how a bone marrow transplant would help since the cancer is in the spine and spinal fluid.) The third option is chemo and radiation. This is the national protocall for this type of cancer. It has the best chance for recovery however, The side effects are very bad. If it did stop the cancer and it came back, you can't do radiation again.

Young children who get radiation can have...stunted growth, decreased motor skills, low learning capacity(5th grade intelligence for life), being dependent on others for care, not being able to hold down a job and the possibility of a radiation induced tumor later on.

We don't know what path to take. None of them are good routes. If the radiation stopped the cancer but Owen ended up mentally challenged, that would kill me...he is such a smart little guy.

Re: My worst fear - 12/28/12 04:24 PM

So sorry to hear that Darren... Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to help you guys out. I'm not far away.

I'm not sure what choice I would make either.
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: My worst fear - 12/28/12 04:45 PM

WOW!

prayers to help ease your pain and decision process. I have nothing to offer other than Moparts support. I do know that there has to be a donor match to go with the Marrow transplant.

Re: My worst fear - 12/28/12 04:47 PM

Somehow they take his own cells right after a round of chemo when platelets are high...something like that.

Re: My worst fear - 12/28/12 05:30 PM

Darren - I have neither advice nor words, only a promise to keep you all in our prayers.

Tim and Vicki
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: My worst fear - 12/28/12 05:36 PM

Quote:

Darren - I have neither advice nor words, only a promise to keep you all in our prayers.

I think this pretty much sums up my feelings..

Re: My worst fear - 12/28/12 05:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mine too.

Re: My worst fear - 12/28/12 05:47 PM

Wow Man, that sucks.

Not much more I can say. Try to stay positive.

Jason
Posted By: dm69charger

Re: My worst fear - 12/28/12 06:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mine too.

Mine too. Lots and lots of prayers!!
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: My worst fear - 12/28/12 06:14 PM

Sorry to hear this , just catching up on the thread and seeing such good news . It's a tough decision to have to make, I'll pray for you and your wife to make the right decision.

Re: My worst fear - 12/28/12 06:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mine too.

Mine too. Lots and lots of prayers!!

Me too. I don't pray much anymore. But sending some up for you and your family.

Re: My worst fear - 12/28/12 07:59 PM

Darren,

I don't really know what to say. I'd like to tell you to try and stay positive and strong, but not being able to help my own child would bring me lower than low. When I say help, I mean keep them safe and away from harm. I truly hope there is a way through this with a positive outcome.

Is this hereditary or has anyone else in the family had this? I always think it is crazy when cancer pop's up from out of nowhere.
Posted By: blowndart

Re: My worst fear - 12/28/12 08:05 PM

That is terrible news. I'm sorry you're having to go through this. Have you gotten second or third opinions from other professionals on what to do? I had chemo back when I was 25 and it wasn't too bad, but the drugs are different for all different types of cancer. I didn't have radiation but that is the field my wife works in (She's a Medical Dosimetrist). A great doctor and physics team can help minimize the damage the radiation has to all the non-cancerous cells. If it's aggressive, the sooner you start treatment, the better. Children typically do much better surviving all cancers than adults do. But it's torture for the parents. If it were me in your shoes (and I wish no one was ever in your shoes), I would find the best specialist for the type of cancer he has that I could find. It can make a big difference in the outcome.
Posted By: 68HemiB

Re: My worst fear - 12/28/12 08:20 PM

Quote:

The second option involves extremely high doses of chemo and some type of bone marrow transplant.(I don't know how a bone marrow transplant would help since the cancer is in the spine and spinal fluid.)

Of course you should be looking to the medical experts, and not faceless friends on a car website, for explanations of complex medical procedures.

Nevertheless, this is my understanding of a bone marrow transplant, as it applied to my sister and her so far successful battle with non-hodgkin's lymphoma:

In her case, it was basically a replacement of her immune system with that of another person. Although this was originally done by messing directly with bone marrow, it is a different process nowadays. The theory is that another person's immune system might recognize the cancer cells as the foreign invaders that they are, and wage a more successful battle against them. The super-high doses of chemo represent a two-pronged attack - both against the cancer, and as the mechanism that destroys the patient's existing immune system in preparation for getting a new one.

Moparts member srt has had a similar procedure done.

Words fail in something like this, but I join with everyone else on this board in wishing you the best for your son's struggle and the heartache you feel.

Re: My worst fear - 12/28/12 10:03 PM

Darren, I really don't know what to say my moparts friend.

I know this is the most difficult decision you have ever made in your life and I also know you will make the right one.

I am not a praying man but Owen and your family has been in our families thoughts and prayers

Tucker, Kathy and Phil

Re: My worst fear - 12/28/12 11:13 PM

tough news indeed. keepin the prayers headed your way.

Re: My worst fear - 12/28/12 11:15 PM

I really dont know what to say other than this wasnt the news I wanted to hear.

We are all praying here for all of you and tonight I will add in that the right decision is made.

I have a Church member who is the leading cancer doctor here in Missouri at Wash U.
I could make a call in to him for you if you like, Maybe he knows of someone or something.

I for sure would get another opinion for sure and if you had to travel so be it IMO.

Anyway, God bless you guys and we will as a family be praying for you all.

Be on the look out for a package BTW.

Billy
Posted By: Southern Wolf

Re: My worst fear - 12/29/12 12:48 AM

We are all praying. God bless

Re: My worst fear - 12/29/12 12:56 AM

Still hoping for the best for the little guy.

Re: My worst fear - 12/29/12 01:02 AM

Quote:

Tim and Vicki

I am there as well.
Posted By: 426Savoy

Re: My worst fear - 12/29/12 01:05 AM

He's a tough kid. Praying for a full recovery.
Posted By: calmopar

Re: My worst fear - 12/29/12 01:30 AM

I an sure whatever path you choose to go down, it will be the right one for your son. We're praying for you all here and recovery happens even with aggressive cancer.
Posted By: Runner

Re: My worst fear - 12/29/12 03:17 AM

i just stumbled across this thread. i feel bad for you, i just lost the love of my life a little over 6 weeks ago to pancratic cancer. and i know im crushed, i cant imagine what going through this with a child must be like, lifes not fair!! a couple things id like to offer for advice. take one day at a time dont look to far into the future and loose sight of what you have in front of you right this minute, the world is round for a reason, so we cant see to far in front of us. this was given to us by a priest right after my wife was diagnosed in april and helped me alot. these are tough choices. you should never have to make these choices but now that you do, make the one thats best for your family and your son and dont look back. i cant tell you how much my heat hearts for your hole family, youll be in my thoughts and prays!

Re: My worst fear - 12/29/12 06:19 AM

I had a feeling from your pm something wasn't right. I am sitting here just beside myself. Like I said you have and will continue to be in my prayers. No matter the choice you come to. Each and everyone of us are here for you to vent to! You need to have that emotional release. You are his voice so speak loudly for him. I pray to God he has his hands and arms around you. Please vent to us. Let us help you as best as we can!

Corey
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: My worst fear - 12/29/12 07:25 AM

Burdar & Runner, my thoughts, heart, & prayers are with both of you. As for Owen, you will be in my thoughts & prayers for a full recovery.
Posted By: HUSTLESTUFF

Re: My worst fear - 12/29/12 07:50 AM

Sorry to hear the prognosis. There is no wrong answer to the choice you make.
The bone marrow transplant is usually done after a chemo that is very strong. Chemo kills fast replicating cells like cancer and bone marrow. They usually have to limit the chemo based on a patients blood cell count. It can wipe out all the white blood cells leaving them open to infections. In this case they will use a chemo that will probably kill all his marrow and hopefully all the cancer, but before they do, they take some marrow out and after the chemo give it back to him.
My prayers are with you and your family. Be sure to take some time for your wife and yourself. This is never easy. Mike
Posted By: moparcanuk

Re: My worst fear - 12/29/12 03:18 PM

As the father of a child who also has serious medical problems, I feel your pain. Good luck to you, your wife and especially to that beautiful little boy of yours.

Re: My worst fear - 12/30/12 05:37 PM

Just got done with church. The message this morning hit me about you. One part of it was this. Our lives are a line to eternity and we are just a dot on that line. If we focus just on the here and now (dot) we loose track of the end of the line. Focus on the end of the line and today will work out. Keep looking towards Owen being healed with no cancer and pain free and good will come of it. Stay strong and never give up hope,faith or love for him being healed. You are and will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Corey
Posted By: MidPenMopar

Re: My worst fear - 12/30/12 05:52 PM

I finally got the guts up enough ot read this thread as i knew it would not be anything good.

As a father of 3 children i can only say that putting you on the spot of how to treat this horrible situation must be devestating to you.

Whatever you choose to do I know we all pray it turns out for the best. Talk to your family and do what you feel is best and let God's hand lead the way.

Good luck, and whatever route you choose it will be the right one so never look back and second guess your decesion just move forward and hope for the best.

Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: My worst fear - 12/31/12 01:58 AM

sorry to hear the tough news. can't imagine how you are coping with this, nevermind wrapping your head around this decision.
Posted By: Rtron

Re: My worst fear - 12/31/12 02:53 AM

Just know that everyone that has read this post has you in they re thoughts and prayers

Re: My worst fear - 12/31/12 03:00 AM

I wish there was something I could do to make this whole nightmare better. All I can do is pray for his recovery. God bless you all.

Re: My worst fear - 01/01/13 01:57 AM

I got some clarification about one of the options. It's called a tripple stem cell treatment. The stem cells come from the bone marrow. It was decribed correcty in an earlier post. It is gathered after a chemo treatment and injected back into the body at a later time.

The oncologist called my wife yesterday. She wanted us to get a second opinion from Chicago. My wife mentioned St Jude and the oncologist thought that was a good idea too. Chicago is doing a trial using the triple stem cell treatment and an experimental drug with NO radiation. St Jude is doing radiation but has very specialised people inplace just for children. We are going to try hard to get into St Jude. Even if it is the same type of treatment that the U of I is doing, St Jude really helps out with the bills.

As if things couldn't get worse, I got a call from my mom at 4:00 this morning. She had to take my dad to the ER. He had atrial fibrillation and needed a shock to get his heart beating correctly again. I walked into his room and said, "What are you trying to do to me here?" Anyway, we hope it was just a fluke. He's home and is doing fine right now.

Re: My worst fear - 01/01/13 03:34 AM

Best wishes to your entire family! Truly these events will effect the entire family. Stay as strong as you can. Stay rested as best as you can. Praying for you as always!

Corey
Posted By: 69RTSE

Re: My worst fear - 01/04/13 02:49 AM

Quote:

Just know that everyone that has read this post has you in they re thoughts and prayers

Praying for Owen and your entire family....

Rich

Re: My worst fear - 01/04/13 02:54 AM

Quote:

I got some clarification about one of the options. It's called a tripple stem cell treatment. The stem cells come from the bone marrow. It was decribed correcty in an earlier post. It is gathered after a chemo treatment and injected back into the body at a later time.

The oncologist called my wife yesterday. She wanted us to get a second opinion from Chicago. My wife mentioned St Jude and the oncologist thought that was a good idea too. Chicago is doing a trial using the triple stem cell treatment and an experimental drug with NO radiation. St Jude is doing radiation but has very specialised people inplace just for children. We are going to try hard to get into St Jude. Even if it is the same type of treatment that the U of I is doing, St Jude really helps out with the bills.

As if things couldn't get worse, I got a call from my mom at 4:00 this morning. She had to take my dad to the ER. He had atrial fibrillation and needed a shock to get his heart beating correctly again. I walked into his room and said, "What are you trying to do to me here?" Anyway, we hope it was just a fluke. He's home and is doing fine right now.

Man, sorry yro year about your dad. Glad he is doing better. I have been checking in on this thread every day, thinking of you and your family.
Posted By: zzyzxpat

Re: My worst fear - 01/04/13 04:02 AM

The A fib can be dealt with, don't worry about it. I have lived with it for 15 years.
Concentrate on your son. I wish I could say something to fix it. i would give anything, as would most here, for my kids
Bes of luck. You are in my prayers.

Pat
Posted By: srt

Re: My worst fear - 01/04/13 06:33 AM

I'm sorry to hear all this.
As mentioned, I did go through a auto stem cell transplant using my own cells. I also take a special med to help my immune system fight off any cancer cells that show up. Mine was done over 5 years ago, I'm still here. Prognosis is good.
For me, I turned it all over to the good guy up-stairs. I told the doctors to do what is best and asked them to tell me what they wanted me to do. I did not fight their recommendations. This, because I had a very poor prognosis, with a gene situation, no donors, and an aggressive form of leukemia. I ended up being a guinea pig at ucsf.
I to worry about long term effects of the radiation (I had total body 18 times over the course of 9 days). It's just something that needs to be done.
Great progress is being made applying stem cell therapy to many cancers. Odds of survival are much better than just a few years ago for many forms of cancer.
Right now the only things I suggest is you research and find the best med center for this diagnosis and go all-in there. Do not second guess yourself; get the best and stay the course.
Finally try to be strong through all this, your family needs you.
Hang in there, p.m. me if there is anything you want to ask me, or if there is anything I can do to help.
Anyone else reading this, please consider checking out the links in my sig. It's not for me, I had my chance to find a match and cure, with none to be found. You may be the link for others to be cured of the myriad of maladies stem cells are now being used.

Re: My worst fear - 01/08/13 11:04 PM

Darren,
How's Owen doing? Any luck with St. Jude?

Re: My worst fear - 01/09/13 01:28 AM

Some paperwork was misplaced by one of the doctors. We are still waiting to here from them. Hopefully in the morning.

Re: My worst fear - 01/09/13 01:37 AM

I read all your updates to the wife and my 3 boys. We pray as a family for Owen and you and the wife.
Thanks for the updates! Hang in there!

Re: My worst fear - 01/09/13 02:32 AM

Quote:

Some paperwork was misplaced by one of the doctors. We are still waiting to here from them. Hopefully in the morning.

Re: My worst fear - 01/12/13 03:23 PM

How's Owen doing?

Re: My worst fear - 01/12/13 04:10 PM

Always keeping Owen and your family in my thoughts.

Re: My worst fear - 01/12/13 04:53 PM

Quote:

How's Owen doing?

Yes, any news?

Re: My worst fear - 01/12/13 06:25 PM

It looks like Owen will start treatments next week. Unfortunately, the cancer is pretty advanced and they need to use the high dose of radiation to try and kill it. Owen WILL have neurological issues in the future. There is just no way around it. We need to take one day at a time and deal with getting rid of the cancer first.

Owen had a speech assessment yesterday. At his age, speech is a good way of measuring intelligence. We always thought he was advanced but didn't have any proof. A normal 4 year old(Owen will be 4 in February) is in the 8-13 range. 8 being the low end of the "normal" range and 13 being the high end of the "normal" range. Owen scored a 15. That makes this even harder. He would have had such a bright future. If he can beat the cancer, he will most likely not be able to live on his own when he gets older.

It won't be an overnight change. Around 2nd grade is when the affects of the radiation start showing up. He will fall behind his classmates and struggle to finish high school.

Re: My worst fear - 01/12/13 08:32 PM

I don't know how you're going to get through it all, but I sincerely wish the best possible outcome. I don't know how I would handle it.

Re: My worst fear - 01/12/13 10:03 PM

Prayers to you and your family.

Re: My worst fear - 01/12/13 10:06 PM

hard news to hear, but take one day at a time. when our youngest came fourth months early, the docs gave her less than a 10% chance to survive the birth. and IF she did, there WOULD be a bunch of medical problems. well she made it thru the birt, did have some problems, but the meds took care of some, and some resolved themselves(with help from above we're sure). The docs wouldn't give us any positive hope. they couldn't because things can change in an instant. Two days after I got the wife home, the hospital called and told us they were losing our little girl. after a mad dash back up, she had recovered. there were several times she was on total life support. But she graduated high school this past year with hionors, completly healthy.
be there for your son, and wife as you have been. need to vent, plenty of good people hear! your family has a long tough road ahead. Prayers sent for you and yours.

Re: My worst fear - 01/13/13 05:36 AM

I am so sorry to hear this.

Re: My worst fear - 01/13/13 06:30 AM

Tell Owen no matter what happens there are guys and gals on here that think the world of him and wish and pray for the best for him! I pray that you and your family can find peace in no matter the out come of this. I know one never knows the reasons these things happen and we will find out one day when we leave this world. Until then live each breath as its your last! Love your son with all you have and if you need to vent I am sure the mods can work it so it can stay family friendly here so you are not holding it in! Stay strong we are all pulling for you!
Posted By: Snooker

Re: My worst fear - 01/13/13 10:33 AM

Quote:

Tell Owen no matter what happens there are guys and gals on here that think the world of him and wish and pray for the best for him! I pray that you and your family can find peace in no matter the out come of this. I know one never knows the reasons these things happen and we will find out one day when we leave this world. Until then live each breath as its your last! Love your son with all you have and if you need to vent I am sure the mods can work it so it can stay family friendly here so you are not holding it in! Stay strong we are all pulling for you!

Very well said - Amen!
Posted By: BS27R1B

Re: My worst fear - 01/13/13 12:59 PM

Wishing your family and Owen all the best.

Never give up, there are medical advancements made every day.

Re: My worst fear - 01/13/13 01:02 PM

Hopefully the experts are wrong. I am praying for his future.

Re: My worst fear - 01/13/13 05:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Very well said - Amen!

Very sorry to hear this. Still praying for y'all.

Tim

Re: My worst fear - 01/14/13 05:45 AM

Just reading a carrying bridge post on my ex aunt who is battling cancer. She has been reading a book called Jesus calling by Sarah young. Her niece posted a passage and thought it might/does relate to you. "do not be discouraged by the fact that many of your prayers are not yet answered. Time is a trainer teaching you to wait upon me, to trust me in the dark. The more extreme your circumstances,the more likely you are to see My power and glory at work in the situation" funny is she read this just after shaving her hair because of it falling out. She was trying to decide if she should shave her hair or take down her real Xmas tree. She chose the hair then read then took down the tree. When she took down the tree she found it had new growth as well as new pine cone growth. She took this all as God was showing her that it may be dark now and nothing looks positive but look at the tree. It had new life even though one would think it was dead. All I am
Saying is it looks dark with no good out come but stay strong and try as hard as you can to find the new life that will come out of this. Not the negative. That will only make things worse.

Saying a prayer tonight for Owen!

Corey

Re: My worst fear - 01/14/13 02:21 PM

My prayers are with Owen, you and your family.

Re: My worst fear - 01/14/13 11:48 PM

Today Owen had a radiation simulation. That's where they set up all the machinery so they know exactly where to focus the radiation.

Owen woke up from sedation very angry today. Hopefully they can adjust the medication so that doesn't happen every day. He was still very upset an hour after he woke up. We had to quickly find a restroom to hide out in because he was screaming in the hallway. That was very embarracing. We accually missed our last apointment because he wasn't calming down.

Re: My worst fear - 01/14/13 11:55 PM

Totally understandable. If people around you can't understand what he is going through then they can take a shirt step off a steep cliff. It's your son not theirs. Best of luck on the next go round.

Corey

Re: My worst fear - 01/14/13 11:59 PM

Never be embarrassed when it's your child. Hopefully it is just the meds and they can get it adjusted.

Tim
Posted By: Theorio1025

Re: My worst fear - 01/15/13 01:24 AM

Best wishes to you and your family in this time. If it helps, The effects of the radiation can be livable. My older cousin as diagnosed with a brain tumor at about 2, and had to have radiation and chemo. Though she has learning disabilities she graduated high school, and went on to be a baker.

Re: My worst fear - 01/25/13 03:03 PM

Any news on Owen? How's he doing?

Re: My worst fear - 01/25/13 10:37 PM

Right now he is doing great. If you didn't see the scars on his head, you'd never know he was sick. He is running and skipping around all over the hospital. He had a central line installed last week. Now that he knows he doesn't have to get any more shots, he has been a lot happier.

Last weekend we went to the zoo and to a car show. He really enjoyed seeing the animals and being able to sit in the new cars. We need to figure out something to do this weekend for my birthday. Then in a week and a half Owen will turn 4. Hopefully he is still feeling fine so we can do something special.

Owen had a psych evaluation yesterday. Part of the protocal he is in involves getting a baseline IQ score. That way the effects of the radiation/chemo can be tracked as he gets older. Just like an adult, the average IQ score for a 4 year old is based on 100. Owen's average score was 114. His very lowest score was 101 and his high score was 129. That means that he really doesn't have any weeknesses for his age group...everything is where it should be or higher. We really need to work hard on teaching him what sounds each letter makes so he can begin reading NOW. That way when the effects of the radiation start showing up, he will be ahead of the game.

Re: My worst fear - 01/25/13 11:32 PM

Well Darren, we're glad he is a resilient little guy! Your family continues to be in our thoughts and prayers - we admire how you are dealing with this adversity. Keep the faith - we are. And thanks for taking the time to keep us updated.
Posted By: indy dart

Re: My worst fear - 01/25/13 11:53 PM

He sure is a good looking Lad. We are praying for you guys.

Re: My worst fear - 01/26/13 01:19 AM

Great to see & hear! Hoping and praying all goes well here on out!

Re: My worst fear - 01/26/13 06:36 AM

Quote:

Today Owen had a radiation simulation. That's where they set up all the machinery so they know exactly where to focus the radiation.

Owen woke up from sedation very angry today. Hopefully they can adjust the medication so that doesn't happen every day. He was still very upset an hour after he woke up. We had to quickly find a restroom to hide out in because he was screaming in the hallway. That was very embarracing. We accually missed our last apointment because he wasn't calming down.

Hey Darren,

so sorry to hear that the medication is having side effects.

I know how hard it can be to deal with that kind of behaviour (not for the same reasons) and I agree with the other comments, that there is nothing to be embarassed about.

We have had issues with our son acting out etc, and it used to bother me, but now that we understand it, I could care less what other people think. When he is being "difficult" out in public, I do my best to calm him down, using different strategies, and if people look or stare I say screw em.

I understand that this is a difficult time for you, and you have a lot to deal with...but please please do not be embarrsed by it or Owen's behavious, its a disease or the medication. This is just my opinion, but I have learned quickly over the last year, that others people opions do not matter, they have no right to judge you, or your son's behaviour based on what they see.

So I echo what was said above, please do not be embarassed, work with your beatiful little son, try to calm him down and do not worry about who is watching or starring (I let the world fall away in these situations, and it is just me and my son, nothing else matters).

As far as stratagies for calming him down, try anything he likes, we use and ipad quite often (he loves various games) or music, with head phones if he wants (who cares if he walks around with haed phones on) or hot wheels (I wish my son liked them as much as Owen) what ever works.

My apologies for the long winded post.

We are all pulling for Owwn, you and mom.

All the best,

Jason

Re: My worst fear - 01/26/13 07:18 AM

That's great news Darren!

From that picture of your son, I think he's going to be an A12 guy when he grows up.

Re: My worst fear - 02/05/13 04:52 AM

Owen's hair started falling out on Saturday. It's really falling out fast now. I think it will be gone in a few days. Tomorrow is his 4th birthday. We celebrated today since my parents were in town. We will try and find something fun to do tomorrow after his radiation treatment.

I just wanted to post a little update since there are still a lot of people asking how things are going.

Re: My worst fear - 02/05/13 05:40 AM

Thanks for the update! Wish him a happy birthday and many many more!! I have been wondering just didn't want to bug you! Do you have a carringbridge site going for him? If so post it so we can follow along!

Re: My worst fear - 02/05/13 09:13 AM

Thanks for the update. Didn't want to overhwelm you with questions. You have enough on your plate.

Re: My worst fear - 02/05/13 11:07 AM

Darren - thank you for taking some time to keep us informed. All of you continue to be in our prayers. Give the little guy a big birthday hug from all of us.

Re: My worst fear - 02/05/13 01:24 PM

Happy Birthday Owen!!

There was a TV commercial a few years back where the boy shaved his head for the girl. It would be really cool if you went through the "hair loss" process with him. I assume you have your hair still at this point.

Keep him smiling!

Re: My worst fear - 02/05/13 02:42 PM

Happy Birthday Big Guy!
Great news on the psych report, Darren!

Jim

Re: My worst fear - 02/05/13 02:43 PM

Here is hopefully a positive info for you. Friends of ours little boy who just started kindergarten who has been battling cancer for the past 3 years just was able to get his hair cut in a very very long time. Keep looking on positive side. It will happen!

Re: My worst fear - 02/05/13 03:12 PM

Happy Birthday Owen!
Posted By: tboomer

Re: My worst fear - 02/05/13 03:51 PM

Quote:

Happy Birthday Owen

Re: My worst fear - 02/05/13 04:30 PM

Posted By: Rtron

Re: My worst fear - 02/05/13 04:40 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY OWEN!!!!!!!

Re: My worst fear - 02/05/13 04:41 PM

Happy Birthday Owen!!!
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: My worst fear - 02/05/13 04:49 PM

Quote:

Happy B-day!

Re: My worst fear - 02/05/13 04:56 PM

Quote:

HAHAHA that is cool.

Happy birthday little dude! Hope you got some more Hot Wheels....because you can never have enough Hot Wheels!

Jason

Re: My worst fear - 02/05/13 07:55 PM

Attached picture 7576490-cooltext908661660.png

Re: My worst fear - 02/06/13 03:43 AM

Owen had a good day today. The nurses at the hospital really made it fun!

Re: My worst fear - 02/06/13 03:47 AM

Thats awesome to hear! Happy Birthday Owen!

Re: My worst fear - 02/06/13 04:01 AM

Quote:

That's cool.

Re: My worst fear - 02/06/13 05:31 AM

Quote:

AWESOME news!!!!

Re: My worst fear - 02/06/13 11:06 AM

Great to hear he had a fun day while in the hospital. Kids are amazingly tough.

Re: My worst fear - 02/06/13 11:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

AWESOME news!!!!

Great!!
Posted By: gtsuperbee

Re: My worst fear - 02/06/13 03:38 PM

good to hear he is doing well...Time to shave your head too in support . My boy just got out of quarantine after having a respiratory virus for the last 10 days. There is no worse feeling than being helpless to your child's pain. keep us posted

Re: My worst fear - 02/06/13 04:45 PM

Quote:

Aw, that's great. Glad he had fun.

Re: My worst fear - 02/15/13 02:50 AM

Owen had an MRI yesterday. I met with the radiation doctor today. He said the scan went well and that the tumors ARE responding to the treatments. I took that to mean they are shrinking. The scan also did NOT show any signs of more tumors. I'll take any good news I can get at this point.

Owen continues to be taking this very well. He is not eating much of anything but somehow still has more energy then I do. He gained a little weight this week too. I have no idea how that happened.

Re: My worst fear - 02/15/13 03:17 AM

Great news! Hang in there!

Re: My worst fear - 02/15/13 10:56 AM

Well, no bad news is the same as good news. Obviously Owen is getting great care but how are YOU holding up, how can Moparts help you parents?

Re: My worst fear - 02/15/13 01:31 PM

Two things are getting to me. The first things is trying to get Owen to eat. If he would eat, my job would be a whole lot easier. Next week we will be talking about a different appetite stimulant. The one he's on now isn't doing anything.

The second thing is that I have no energy left. I need a nap in the afternoons. His first appointment is usually at 7:15 in the morning. Then I sit in the waiting room for hours every day. You have no idea how exhausting that is. I think I need some exercise. My wife went back home so I don't have the luxury of taking a break to do something on my own.

We'll have a break in a couple weeks. I just have to push on. Owen's laugh and smile really keep me going.

Re: My worst fear - 02/15/13 01:35 PM

Thinking about you and Owen...

Re: My worst fear - 02/15/13 04:05 PM

Glad to hear the positive news! I can't imagine how tough this is on you guys. It sounds like you're doing a great job caring for him. Keep it up and try to get the sleep you need.

I think (and pray) for you guys often.

Re: My worst fear - 02/15/13 05:55 PM

there should be someone at the hospiotal that can be with him while you rest.

Re: My worst fear - 02/15/13 06:11 PM

Sounds great! Looks like the best medicine for you is his smile. Keep him laughing n smiling and stay strong as possible. You will get through this. Have faith in God and yourself and the doctors in that order and you will come through!

Corey

Re: My worst fear - 02/16/13 01:10 AM

I keep Owen you you guys in prayers each day, there is great power in numbers.

Glad to hear the good news

Re: My worst fear - 02/16/13 01:43 AM

Quote:

Two things are getting to me. The first things is trying to get Owen to eat. If he would eat, my job would be a whole lot easier. Next week we will be talking about a different appetite stimulant. The one he's on now isn't doing anything.

The second thing is that I have no energy left. I need a nap in the afternoons. His first appointment is usually at 7:15 in the morning. Then I sit in the waiting room for hours every day. You have no idea how exhausting that is. I think I need some exercise. My wife went back home so I don't have the luxury of taking a break to do something on my own.

We'll have a break in a couple weeks. I just have to push on. Owen's laugh and smile really keep me going.

Certainly not ignoring you, just got in. We hope the doctors can figure out the appetite stimulant and diet required. I have seen the exhaustion first hand over the last year and I don't yet understand how the families do it. You really learn what "living on adrenaline" is all about and you have my utmost respect. I guess all we can offer is a constant place to voice your feelings and our hopes and prayers for the best to come.

Tim and Vicki

Re: My worst fear - 02/16/13 02:06 AM

LET'S GO OWEN! Tell us what you want to eat. We can get it shipped in if we have to. You name it kiddo.

Re: My worst fear - 02/16/13 07:27 AM

Owen and I just got back from Monster Jam. He really had a good time. He is now all wound up and is playing with his Hot Wheels monster trucks at 12:10 in the morning. Last weekend we met a couple at a car/motorcycle show here in Memphis. I got an email from them saying they wanted us to be their guests(in their suite) at Monster Jam. Half way through the show, a man came up to Owen and bought him a Monster Jam yearbook.

I just can't get over how supportive complete strangers have been to us. It's nice to see that people still care about others. Owen was only in school for a few months but he just received four huge boxes of valentines from the school district. I just found out that we recieved a very generous gift from a construction company in town. We don't know any of these people but the generosity they've shown is amazing.

Re: My worst fear - 02/16/13 01:15 PM

So I'm wondering if any member has access to get Owen up into a monster truck for pics and maybe a short ride...where are you located again?

Yes people are amazing sometimes, so glad to hear Owen enjoyed himself and hope you got to relax for a few hours too.

Re: My worst fear - 02/16/13 03:13 PM

When times are tough it is nice to be reminded that there are nice and caring people in the world! If only we all could be this way to people when things are not tough for them the world would be a better place. Best luck to you and the big "little" guy! Glad you had fun!
Posted By: PLATINUM6BBL

Re: My worst fear - 02/16/13 09:47 PM

Quote:

Owen and I just got back from Monster Jam. He really had a good time. He is now all wound up and is playing with his Hot Wheels monster trucks at 12:10 in the morning. Last weekend we met a couple at a car/motorcycle show here in Memphis. I got an email from them saying they wanted us to be their guests(in their suite) at Monster Jam. Half way through the show, a man came up to Owen and bought him a Monster Jam yearbook.

I just can't get over how supportive complete strangers have been to us. It's nice to see that people still care about others. Owen was only in school for a few months but he just received four huge boxes of valentines from the school district. I just found out that we recieved a very generous gift from a construction company in town. We don't know any of these people but the generosity they've shown is amazing.

It is doing what they've been called to do - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AXD3Xq6Z6U
Thinking of and praying for you & your family.

Re: My worst fear - 02/25/13 09:40 PM

Owen finishes up the radiation portion of his treatment on Thursday. It looks like they are going to let us go home on Friday. We have to be back here on April 1st to start the second phase.

Re: My worst fear - 02/25/13 09:57 PM

So is the initial treatment showing promise? You all continue to be in our prayers. As always, thanks for taking the time to keep us informed. I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't want to pry and waits for news.

Re: My worst fear - 02/25/13 10:01 PM

Once again best wishes and prayers for you and your family.
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: My worst fear - 02/25/13 10:04 PM

Best wishes and prayers are with you all!

Re: My worst fear - 02/25/13 11:39 PM

Thanks for the update Darren. I bet it will feel good to be home for awhile.

Give him a high five from me!

Re: My worst fear - 02/26/13 01:36 AM

Still praying. How is Owen doing so far?
Posted By: Webster

Re: My worst fear - 02/26/13 01:46 AM

Praying for you guys

Re: My worst fear - 02/26/13 03:10 AM

They did an MRI last week or the week before.(I lose track of time here.) They said he is responding to the radiation treatments. Adding chemotheropy after the radiation adds a few % points to the cure rate. The last numbers I heard were that they are able to cure 45-50% of these cancers. They've done amazing things with the cure rates of childrens leukemia....hopefully the brain cancer cure rates rise as well.

Owen is doing great other then his eating. We are on the second appetite stimulant. The first one did nothing. THis one seems to work however, it is in pill form. Getting a 4 year old to swallow a pill isn't fun. The medication has a componant in common with marijuana. The first meal he ate while on it, he was laughing and talking to his food. I should have taped it...it was very funny.

Re: My worst fear - 02/26/13 05:58 AM

Sounds like great news! Praying he continues on the mend and positive road. On a side note I seen our friends who's boy has leukemia too who just started kindergarten this year. He was at school today and came out with my daughter. He was running and full of energy. I told his mom that was cool to see. With a sigh of relief and laughter in her voice she said "yes it is but I don't know where he gets it from!" he still is doing chemo but not as often as before. They have faith and know good will come. Your good will come too. Just have faith Nd cherish every moment and he to will be running like Ty did today!

Re: My worst fear - 02/26/13 07:55 AM

Prayers for Owen.
Posted By: JCCuda

Re: My worst fear - 02/26/13 05:19 PM

My prayers are with you!

Re: My worst fear - 02/26/13 06:18 PM

Hey Darren,

I downloaded the picture of Owen with the blue Mopar shirt standing at the door onto my desktop. That way every time I see the icon, I ask for God's healing power to be let loose on Owen.
God still is in the real restoration business!

Jim

Re: My worst fear - 03/01/13 03:02 AM

Owen is done with radiation. We are headed home tomorrow. It's a 9-10 hour drive so I want to get started early. Again...thanks for the continued thoughts and prayers!!!!

Re: My worst fear - 03/01/13 03:11 AM

Glad to hear another page has been turned. Sleep well and travel safe.

Re: My worst fear - 03/01/13 04:54 AM

Thats great news!!!!! Very Very Very happy for you guys!!!!!!!! Before you walk out of there tomorrow am take a minute to look around,stop and think of where you were and were you are now then look at him with new found hope and belief in the healing power that you guys received! So excited for your new chapter of life to start. Best wishes and safe drive home! Take care of that little guy!

Re: My worst fear - 03/03/13 02:29 AM

I got 2 1/2 hours of sleep Thursday night.(then drove 10 hours home) I got done packing at 1 in the morning. I woke up at 3:30 and couldn't get back to sleep. I got up at 4 and loaded stuff in the car. We were gone by 5:30. The car was packed FULL. It feels good to be back home for a short time.

Owen hadn't had a chance to play with a lot of his Christmas toys yet. He's making up for lost time.

Re: My worst fear - 03/03/13 02:32 AM

Great news

Re: My worst fear - 03/03/13 02:47 AM

Re: My worst fear - 03/03/13 03:03 AM

All right then.

Re: My worst fear - 03/03/13 03:45 AM

Glad to hear good news!! Stay strong.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: My worst fear - 03/04/13 02:41 AM

Re: My worst fear - 03/04/13 07:11 PM

Today is my first day back at work in 2 1/2 months. Grandma is watching Owen during his month off treatment. My employer changed design software while I was away so I'm starting from scratch. So far the "improvements" are more of a headache then the old way of doing things. At least I had a job to come back to. Things are still up in the air with work when we have to go back to Memphis in April.
Posted By: Runner

Re: My worst fear - 03/10/13 04:01 PM

i hope your employer does the right thing.
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: My worst fear - 03/10/13 04:31 PM

WOW.....I just read all your posts...GOD bless Owen and your family. i have a son , he is 8. cant imagine what your going through.

to say i didn't cry as i read your posts would be a lie....

Re: My worst fear - 03/11/13 03:42 PM

The last week wasn't as relaxing as I'd hoped. There have been a few times where I wish we were still back in Memphis.

Owen isn't eating. He takes one bite of food and says he's done. Researching this a little I found that radiation can damage your taste buds. Some people have said everything tastes like metal. I started cooking with more spices thinking that would help but it hasn't. We also started giving him plastic utensils but that hasn't helped either. He drinks milk OK but won't drink any Pediasure. This is taking up most of our free time. I don't want him waisting away during this month off. It's supposed to be a time to regain some weight and recover.

His eyes have also become very sensitive to light. He is squinting all the time and we have to have most of the lights turned off. He refuses to let us put any drops in his eyes. We started cleaning his eyes with baby shampoo a few times a day which is helping a little.

On a positive note, he finds plenty of energy somewhere. His tricycle is getting a workout that's for sure. The base boards have a bunch of black marks on them from him getting a little too close to the wall.
Posted By: wkroncke17

Re: My worst fear - 03/11/13 06:22 PM

Our Prayers are with Owen and you guys!!

Re: My worst fear - 03/21/13 01:26 AM

Just met with people from "Make a Wish". It looks like they will send Owen to Disney World after his chemo is done. It sounds like they really make it a fun trip.

On a different note...Does anyone know how to save an entire thread as a PDF? I've read a few things online but it is all greek to me. I'd like to save this thread so I can look back on it years from now. Eventually it's going to go away in the "general" section.

Re: My worst fear - 03/21/13 01:32 AM

Make a Wish does a great job. I don't know how to save as a pdf but I clicked the notify mod button. Maybe this can go into the best of moparts archives. Keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers!

Tim and Vicki

Re: My worst fear - 03/21/13 01:34 AM

Good news on Make a wish. I hope he enjoys it.
As for saving the file it is fairly easy.
Open the thread under show all.
Open a word document.
Highlight the entire thread or screen shot the thread.
Now go to word document and either paste or control v and the thread should appear in the word document.
I have the political thread saved that way from November.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: My worst fear - 03/21/13 01:38 AM

Quote:

Make a Wish does a great job. I don't know how to save as a pdf but I clicked the notify mod button. Maybe this can go into the best of moparts archives. Keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers!

Tim and Vicki

it's beyond my computer skills. I know how to take screen shots, but there has to be a better/simpler way to capture the thread and save it.

it could always find a home in the "best of" forum where it's saved and won't "fall off"

Re: My worst fear - 03/21/13 01:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Tim and Vicki

it's beyond my computer skills. I know how to take screen shots, but there has to be a better/simpler way to capture the thread and save it.

it could always find a home in the "best of" forum where it's saved and won't "fall off"

Thanks for the quick reply Tom. Once there it can still be posted on, correct?

Re: My worst fear - 03/21/13 02:13 AM

nope, once it goes in "best of" it stays in the archives for as long as theres a Moparts but Moparts members cant post on it. The moderators can and if, for whatever reason someone other than a moderator needs to post on it, we can move it back to General.

Threads also cant be saved as a PDF, at least using Moparts software; youd have to either use an external program, take a screen shot or print it.

My recommendation would be to leave it here in General while its still active, and I imagine it will be for awhile as Owen continues to improve (thank God) and if it goes say a month or so without a new post, PM one of the moderators and we can move it to the archives where it will not drop off.
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: My worst fear - 03/21/13 02:45 AM

Quote:

On a different note...Does anyone know how to save an entire thread as a PDF? I've read a few things online but it is all greek to me. I'd like to save this thread so I can look back on it years from now. Eventually it's going to go away in the "general" section.

I do it much like TBB but I install cutepdf and use that to create my .pdf's using the print command. File | Print | select cutePDF writer and choose the location to save the file.

www.cutepdf.com/

Robert

Re: My worst fear - 03/21/13 03:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I do it much like TBB but I install cutepdf and use that to create my .pdf's using the print command. File | Print | select cutePDF writer and choose the location to save the file.

www.cutepdf.com/

Robert

And great news on Owen getting a wish made! That is a great organization!
© 2024 Moparts Forums