Moparts

After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body!

Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/03/11 03:10 AM

Well I finally spent some time on my own car this week, bought a new rotisserie and mounted up my long term 71 340 Duster project for paint and body! I have it pretty well stripped of everything, just a few more trinkets remain. I have been photographing any interesting details along the way and will continue to do so throughout the duration of the restoration, tomarrow I will be steam cleaning the chassis to clean up the grease oil and to remove the small amount of under coating it has. It is scheduled to be painted next spring and back to me for assembly, that gives me plenty to work on this winter.

Attached picture 6808262-DusterPreRotisserie.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/03/11 03:10 AM

1 of 5

Attached picture 6808264-Upright.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/03/11 03:11 AM

2 of 5

Attached picture 6808268-Top.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/03/11 03:12 AM

3 of 5

Attached picture 6808269-Rear.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/03/11 03:12 AM

4 of 5

Attached picture 6808270-BottomFront.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/03/11 03:13 AM

5 of 5

Attached picture 6808271-BottomRearA.jpg
Posted By: cdp

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/03/11 03:38 AM

What them torque boxes on there for?

Your not going to paint it back that bug-luring yellow are you?
Posted By: kidmopar

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/03/11 04:13 AM

Looks GREAT Scott! Lots & lots to do! Keep us up to speed as the project moves along.........
Posted By: UCUDANT

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/03/11 04:18 AM

needs to be a Projects thread bro.... will be watching......
Posted By: Neil

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/03/11 04:37 AM

Good to see another a-body being done the right way.

I have only seen one car in that color so far (a 71 340 demon), and I thought it looked great.
Posted By: cudabitten

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/03/11 02:56 PM

Good Luck. I'm an e-body guy, but I always loved those Dusters.
Posted By: fc7freak

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/03/11 10:25 PM

Thanks for sharing the pics. My GY3 Duster 340 ( the one I tried to sell you )is also finally getting to the paint shop. It has been on a rotisserie for 2 years and I almost gave up on getting someone to paint it. Good luck!
Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/03/11 10:52 PM

Congrats!! I'll be watching your progress for sure!! Glad to hear its going to be painted soon.

Im curious about how you have you rotisserie attached, thats different that most I've seen. Can you post a couple of close up pics of the brackets attached to the body? Mine will be going on the rotisserie this week.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/04/11 12:21 AM

Looks like fun

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/04/11 12:30 AM

The fronts are made from a reciever hitch female with two anchor point nuts welded onto them for the set bolts. A piece of angle iron welded to it at a 90 gives it a flat to bolt against the frame. The attachment method uses the factory bumper bolts and holes. As you can see the rotisserie stubs slide right into it and you can slide a bolt through the holes that are already there to have a safely measure.

Attached picture 6809439-FrontMountA.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/04/11 12:41 AM

The rears are not the typical bolt flat against the bumper bracket sheet metal style, they were made so the rotisserie stubs could go inward toward the center of the car allowing for a shorter overall rotisserie rig. The same reciever hitch tubing with set bolt nuts welded on and angle iron welded at a 90 as was used on the front brackets but wider angle iron to allow enough room to space the bolt holes appropriately.

The mounts utilize the existing frame through holes at the rear of the frame (a large dia. nut and bolt) and the single/smaller threaded in bolt that holds the rear muffler hanger mount. An approx 2 x 4" piece of flat steel plate is used as a "washer" on the opposite side of the frame to spread the load and not pinch the frame material. The big 90 black clamp shown was added just as a safety to keep things in place as weight shifted, it's not really needed. Setup like this the car is rock solid and turns all the way around with one hand.

Be careful mounting your car so that it's centered and at the right hieght to be balanced when turning, also be sure all doors, hood, truck, etc. are wired closed. Get a buddy to help you and GO SLOWLY, you don't want a disaster and you only get one shot!

Attached picture 6809459-RearMount1.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/04/11 12:43 AM

90 clamp mentioned

Attached picture 6809462-RearMountClamp.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/04/11 12:43 AM

First bath, next up is the steam cleaner

Attached picture 6809464-FirstWas.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/04/11 01:03 AM

Thanks Scott! I really like how your rear brackets attach, looks like a much better/ stronger set up.

Are you going to get this thread moved to the projects/ survivor section and update your resto progress????

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/04/11 01:04 AM

Cant wait to see how the steam cleaner works out. Keep us posted. Are you renting a steam cleaner or are you having a company come by and do it?
Posted By: 19cuda73

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/04/11 01:54 AM

Great looking project. Love that color. It will be a head turner when its done..
Thanks for sharing your photos.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/04/11 02:06 AM

Quote:

Cant wait to see how the steam cleaner works out. Keep us posted. Are you renting a steam cleaner or are you having a company come by and do it?

You didn't see the thread in which Scott purchased a used Hotsy...

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/04/11 02:32 AM

Yes I bought a used steam cleaner, this will be the first job I've used it for, the suspension and other greasy stuff will be next. I'll see if I can get a mod to move the thread, may as well keep it alive and keep it on one post.

Attached picture 6809591-Hotsy.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/04/11 03:48 AM

EDIT: FWIW, I've taken lots of pictures with my digital camera, but I can't load those on my computer. I just post cell phone pics on my posts. I will document everything.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/04/11 05:06 AM

Holy cow is this steam cleaner the cats azz! No pics until tomarrow (got dark on me) but it is unreal how easily the Hotsy cleans off grease, grime, even undercoating and paint with no chemicals! The undercoating is comming off slowly but it does come off, I'll try some gasoline on it tomarrow to soften it up a little. The engine bay had a quicky repaint by the previous owner, I nailed it with the Hotsy and the new paint peeled right off down to the original (partially stripped and sanded off) paint. I'll have it all cleaned off mid day Sunday and I'll post more pics.

*NV69B7RR, please plan on taking a LOAD of detail photos of your car, every concievable nut, bolt, undercoating, paint patterns, the works. I'm doing it on mine as well, even though mines been through the perverbial ringer it still has a lot of good original details, yours should offer many more. We (the hobby) need as much detail on these LA cars as we can get, very few have been documented in detail.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/04/11 05:01 PM

Here are couple shots after the first steam cleaning. I couldn't see very well due to all of the steam and water but I got most of the grease off, what remains APPEARS grimey but it's not, pretty much everything you see is either the dark body dip paint, bare metal, surface rusted raw metal, or undercoating.

Today I'll be touching up any grease I missed and will be applying some solvent to the undercoated areas and will blast it off. I took about a million photos of the spray patterns first so I can attempt to duplicate them later. The gas tank also had undercoating on it, same story, I'll photograph then blast it.

Attached picture 6810286-Aftersteamcleannosoap.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/04/11 05:02 PM

Closer and wet down to see better

Attached picture 6810292-AftersteamcleannosoapClose.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/04/11 05:08 PM

Here is a crude outline of the area that got undercoating. I'll be getting a lot of details on this as most of the LA cars shared this detail, undercoating was only applied to the rear wheel well areas and between them and the forward sections of the cars was skipped completely. I do see signs of some blackout paint in the front fender wells, similar to the radiator blackout paint, likely to mask seeing the body colors from showing around the wheels when veiwed from the sides.

Attached picture 6810298-AfterSteamundercoatingpattern.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/04/11 06:31 PM

In the current issue of Mopar Action a reply to a reader speaks about wheel well/inner quarter panel undercoating and it being paired with under hood insulation. It also mentioned it was to help make the doors sound more solid when closing
Posted By: Neil

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/04/11 06:31 PM

Did light colored a-bodies get the bottom of the rocker panel, and the rocker pinch seam painted black?

The upper one in the pic almost looks like it has black paint on it, but maybe it's from being wet? The bottom one looks like surface rust from road wear.

The bottom of that car looks well preserved. East coasters are already getting jealous.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/04/11 10:02 PM

Factory undercoated cars (cars that had the OPTIONAL undercoating added) did come with hood pads as part of the package, all other cars were to recieve "sound deadner" (under coating) in the wheel wells to quiet road noise. It seems that the LA plant "didn't get the memo" and only applied it to the rear of the car. My car was not optioned with undercoating so no hood pad.

The lower body did get a blackout applied but I believe it's because my car came with the lower body molding and it was part of that package, not due to the cars color. It's applied VERY similar to how a 71 Cuda is painted. I took a lot of pics and measurements to get it back on the correct way after paint. The molding mine came with is the same as this 71 Twister is wearing.

The bottom of this car is pristine aside from a few added holes drilled for bucket seats and a dollar bill sized rust spot in the drivers foot well (water leaked past the wiper seal and sat under the gas pedal). The primer/sealer is not as black as I expected, it's close to black but looks tinted towards a deep army green color, there are widely scattered flecks of original GY3 yellow over spray on most areas of the floor pan short of the deepest recess of the floor tunnel, but none of it is very heavy.

I am almost done cleaning off the undercoating, tedious and slow but it all came off (I only used hot water, no solvent yet) it only took a couple hours. The wheel wells were the worst, very heavy coating went slowly, about like a really nasty bead blast cabinet job. Now I'm giving the UC areas a solvent bath/soak and final steam cleanup and she'll be clean. To those whom will be trying this job.......Wear full cover clothing, plan on getting soaking wet, wear goggles to save your eyes, give yourself a full day for the job and cleanup. It's not that bad a job with the steam cleaner and it CERTAINLY blows away a torch and a scaper!

Attached picture 6810640-71TwisterRockerMoldings.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/04/11 11:16 PM

A twister with a rallye wheel trim ring

I'd love to own that car though

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/05/11 02:10 AM

Here's the results! I still have some under hood paint removal to do but I ran out of Kerosene so I'll polish off the small details in the morning.

Yes! The dirty work is almost done!

Attached picture 6811010-AfterSteamCleaner.jpg
Posted By: 340wedge

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/05/11 04:16 AM

I restored my kick panels a few weeks ago and was suprised that the passenger side kick panel area (behind the kick panel) was a dark army green color. the rest of the interior, footwells, floor and drivers kick panel area were a mist of sassy grass.
Posted By: MUSLCA

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/05/11 05:15 AM

Scott: GY3 is a killer color....that is the color I chose for my
71 Demon 340 clone.

Wilson
Ontario Canada

Attached picture 6811284-Homeingarage001.JPG

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/05/11 05:16 AM

Attached picture 6811285-001.JPG

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/05/11 05:17 AM

Attached picture 6811287-Homeingarage015.JPG

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/05/11 05:19 AM

last

Attached picture 6811291-Homeingarage022.JPG

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/05/11 05:40 AM

MUSCLA,

Your Demon turned out awesome, most impressive job and you built it FAST!

*Yours looks familiar

Attached picture 6811306-ScottDemon2(2).jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/05/11 06:04 AM

Scott: I remember reading about that adventure you had.....
something about no heat during the trip, but you made it there
in one piece.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/05/11 06:06 AM

Do you have more pictures of that Demon??

Attached picture 6811320-100_3587.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/05/11 06:47 AM

That IS that Demon

It's had a lot of work done to it since that trip. The original numbers matching 340 4 speed drivetrain is under the bench for safe keeping and it now has a 525hp 416 stroker 340 in it, new wire harness, restored dash assembly, new Dr. Diff 4.10 center section, rebuilt suspension, new bumpers, tires, brakes, etc. It runs VERY strong on the street and is a hoot to tear around in!

Attached picture 6811342-DemonBatesMotel.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/05/11 06:53 AM

The "Heater" was all of the clothing from my bag around our feet...at zero degrees, no heater, and a wind chill because the dash vents were frozen wide open....the clothes didn't help much!

Attached picture 6811347-Demonfootwarmers1.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/05/11 06:54 AM

Somewhere near Crecent Oregon at 1am......Had to stop for the night because the windshield kept freezing over. Oh yea, no wipers either!

Attached picture 6811349-DemonCresentOregonJan262009AMtakeoff.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/05/11 06:56 AM

I've been to a lot of cold places in my life but nothing compared to the long term freeze I endured on that trip....BRRRRR!

Attached picture 6811350-CresentDemon.jpg
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/05/11 11:20 AM

Quote:

Holy cow is this steam cleaner the cats azz! No pics until tomarrow (got dark on me) but it is unreal how easily the Hotsy cleans off grease, grime, even undercoating and paint with no chemicals! The undercoating is comming off slowly but it does come off, I'll try some gasoline on it tomarrow to soften it up a little. The engine bay had a quicky repaint by the previous owner, I nailed it with the Hotsy and the new paint peeled right off down to the original (partially stripped and sanded off) paint. I'll have it all cleaned off mid day Sunday and I'll post more pics.

*NV69B7RR, please plan on taking a LOAD of detail photos of your car, every concievable nut, bolt, undercoating, paint patterns, the works. I'm doing it on mine as well, even though mines been through the perverbial ringer it still has a lot of good original details, yours should offer many more. We (the hobby) need as much detail on these LA cars as we can get, very few have been documented in detail.

holy cow, you did that in your driveway? the EPA local rivers and streams will love you. not to mention your neighbors

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/05/11 04:06 PM

Funny thing is that I live on a busy street, I was just waiting for some enviro Nazi to stop by and read me the riot act (no worries, I'm well armed! ). It really doesn't make that big a mess, the undercoating disentigrates and looks like muddy water, it sits right under the car and scoops right up, and lucky for me I just happen to have a steam cleaner to clean off any remaining small stuff in the driveway, looks as good as new and nothing went into the gutter, my lawn boarder soaked it right up.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/05/11 08:59 PM

Scott: Who owns the Demon that you had that adventure in????
Yours???

Wilson
Ontario
Canada

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/05/11 09:03 PM

Interior of my Demon....
Column Shift, granny style.....need to replace front seat covers next.

Attached picture 6812074-Homeingarage006.JPG

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/05/11 11:47 PM

No, my buddy Stew Smith in Kelowna B.C. owns that one(that's him wearing the Tuque Eh!). We hang out a lot so I get to drive it and wrench on it.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/06/11 12:46 AM

Ah.....a fellow Canadian......eh?
Posted By: dusted2

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/06/11 01:20 AM

very cool

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/06/11 05:03 AM

Ok, so here's the latest, I was basically done with the undercoating project and ready to hand it over to the body guy, but, I still had a few gallons of diesel left in the hotsy and decided to see how much of the Earl Shieb $99.00 white paint job I could hose off....As it turns out the answer was....nearly all of it! Turns out that it had been painted black long ago, thankfully only the outer body was done, that paint had been partially removed by a previous owner before the cheap white paint went on, the rest of the yellow you see is the original paint and THAT is a good thing! I can still make out all of the original details, the lower body paint blackout, the side stripe and tail panel locations, etc. so I can dimension and photograph all of them to get them back on exactly right.

It's now cleaned as far as I can take it short of media blasting. Now the few sins of it's past can be clearly seen but it's a short list and all together she's still as solid as a rock for a baseline restoration project. So, if you ever wondered how much work you can take on and make a short job of it with a steam cleaner check out the following pics!

Here's what I discovered:

The hood and passenger fender, and latch tray support brace are used replacements, not a problem as I have NOS examples of each so those will go on.

It has the typical A-body curse (door jamb striker latch pegs are cracked around the posts) It has a few light older body repairs, deck lid, tail panel, leading edge of the roof, rear end of the drivers quarter, passenger door, a big shallow dent in the passenger quarter, and a few other minor scuffs. None are serious enough to demand a new panel.

The only rust is the already mentioned drivers footwell spot and some small holes at the very bottom of the quarter panel, couple small butt welded in patches and good to go.

So far so good!

Attached picture 6812937-HalfBaked.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/06/11 05:10 AM

The Hotsy blasted the paint right off, fast enough to do a name writing demo

Attached picture 6812944-HalfCleanScott.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/06/11 05:11 AM

All clean now

Attached picture 6812945-AllClean.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/06/11 05:12 AM

Another

Attached picture 6812948-Stripped.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/06/11 05:14 AM

Here's a before I touched it shot

Attached picture 6812949-BeforeWashingWheelTubs.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/06/11 05:15 AM

Same area after steam cleaning. Nothing you see is dirt, grease, or undercoating, just nice clean bare metal, primer, or paint. It passes the white glove test!

Attached picture 6812952-AfterSteam.jpg
Posted By: ogopogo

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/06/11 06:13 AM

Those snowy pics remind me of when I moved to calgary AB when I was 21 and my only vehicle was a 70 swinger 340-4spd-3:91 car. winter driving was horrific! I could barely get it moving from a stop light and once I was moving it was all over the road,ah the good 'ole days of being young and broke.

Attached picture 6812999-JUAF0A~1.JPG

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/06/11 06:17 AM

Good looking Swinger! Same exact combo as the Demon we drove up. That was one hairy ride let me tell you! Imagine a few hundred miles of two lane highway FROZEN solid over with white packed snow ice on old rock hard tires facing a multitude of logging trucks and other fast moving (modern cars with snow tires) traffic. It was like hearding cats keeping that thing in one lane!

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/09/11 08:03 PM

Looking good Scott.

At what stage in the assembly process did the body get dipped in black? How much/ how far of the body was dipped?

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/10/11 03:05 AM

When the body was bare metal it was dipped up to about the top of the lower door hinge (look inside your rocker/kick panels, you'll see the line). The car was then baked which is why there are hardened drips hanging under the floor pan and dried wrinkled pooled up stuff in the grooves of the top sides of the floor pan and trunk floor. After that it was primed and painted. The blackout painted rockers, radiator core support, and finally undercoating was applied last.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/12/11 02:58 AM

Duster being dipped..

Attached picture 6821954-Dusterfilms015.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/12/11 03:26 AM

Neat pic 340wedge Thanks!!

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/14/11 03:23 AM

Update:

The body work has officially begun! The extra holes in the floor pan from various seat installations over the years and the small rust patch under the gas pedal have all been patched and welded up. The largest distraction on the car was the dented in passenger side quarter panel, as predicted it came out without much of a fight and even though it's just roughed been out at this stage it looks like great! A small patch behind the wheel was also butt welded in to eliminate a small area with a few rust pin holes. Yea! Progress!

Attached picture 6870295-QuarterBefore.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/14/11 03:24 AM

Same quarter after initial rough out

Attached picture 6870296-QuarterAfter.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/14/11 03:24 AM

Front view before

Attached picture 6870298-DusterQuarterBeforeFront.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/14/11 03:25 AM

Some more work after the rough out and it's getting there!

Attached picture 6870299-FirstBodyShopC.JPG

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/14/11 03:51 AM

Any progress is a good thing
Posted By: 68mannix

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/14/11 04:54 PM

How did it get that dent in quarter panel?I bet it came from a shopping cart at wal-mart.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/14/11 06:23 PM

The dent came from an old Dodge truck that backed into it based on what Joe told me. As you can see, It wasn't as bad as some people have previously described it. You owned it at one time, what can you add to the story? It's pretty obvious that most of the cars major bolt on items were replaced at one time or another as the date codes don't align on some of them, do you know why they were removed or where any of the original parts ended up?
Posted By: 68mannix

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/15/11 05:21 AM

joes memory may have faded it was from a shopping cart,both front and rear suspenions and a few other parts are from a numbers matching all original sassy grass green duster that got parted out(not by me) the yellow car was a gutted shell in sun valley,i have no idea were the parts went or if the car was going to be a race car or junked,yes this was the 90s in california and we are spoiled, in the 80s when i was a kid ,me and my friends parted cars with lower quarter rust as we considered them rust buckets.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/15/11 07:37 AM

Yea, it's obvious that most of the easy bolt on stuff was missing at one point. The interior, engine, trans, rear end, and front suspension were replaced at some point, the car they came from was a spring built car so the date codes are from a later built 71 car than my early built car. The glass, dash assembly, VIN tag, fender tag, body stampings, etc. window mechs, all sheet metal (except the hood and passenger fender) are all original to the car.
Posted By: ademon

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/15/11 07:57 AM

Good luck with the duster Scott. looking to do my demon soon keep your progress well documented here for us 340 A-body nuts!!
Posted By: DusterKrazy

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/19/11 12:50 AM

Quote:

A twister with a rallye wheel trim ring

I'd love to own that car though

The Twister's didn't come with trim rings??
Posted By: DusterKrazy

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/19/11 12:53 AM

I'll be watching this one!!
Gonna be sweet!

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/19/11 01:12 AM

Yes, Twisters optioned with Rallye Wheels came without trim rings from the factory.
Posted By: Topcat

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/23/11 06:26 PM

Looking Good Scott.
I'll keep a watch on your progress.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/28/11 01:32 AM

Some further work this week, more stripping and sanding...

Attached picture 6891496-DSC01186.JPG

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/28/11 01:33 AM

Trial fitting the NOS pass side fender

Attached picture 6891498-DSC01189.JPG

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/28/11 01:34 AM

Engine bay stripped and all of the extra holes all welded up

Attached picture 6891501-DSC01187.JPG
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/28/11 05:53 AM

Quote:

Engine bay stripped and all of the extra holes all welded up

Looks like you'll be restoring a lot of carbs to pay this body shop bill. Good progress coming along!

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/29/11 03:07 AM

Lookin good! Seems like our Dusters may get done around the same time....

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/29/11 05:41 AM

I sure hope it works out that way! I have a long list of parts that I'm restoring over the winter so that hopefully when it gets out of paint in late spring I'll just need to start assembling everything. I'm getting stoked, the project is gaining momentum.

Pollack......No, the P&B money is already saved and all major parts are already purchased, I have this one pretty much paid for already
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/02/11 06:15 AM

Scott.. Looking good. Being an A body fan that car will be smokin!!!!

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/12/11 07:42 AM

More progress, the outer shell has been stripped, all boywork/dent repair is done, and shot with primer.

Attached picture 6915296-DSC01325.JPG

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/12/11 07:44 AM

It will probably be a while before there is any color on the car, they are taking thier time and making sure all of the little details are right.

Attached picture 6915299-DSC01330.JPG
Posted By: jrwoodjoe

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/12/11 01:55 PM

Car looks great Scott.
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/30/11 01:52 PM

Quote:

It will probably be a while before there is any color on the car, they are taking thier time and making sure all of the little details are right.

My car has been in the family for 27 years now. Its finally going to go to the body shop soon. I've had TONS of patients with my car. I have even more patience when dealing with the body work. IMOP, I can have all the patience for it as long as its done right and I dont have to do it again later down the road.

Great project Scott! KEEP progress pictures coming
Posted By: johnscudashop

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 12/02/11 01:54 PM

looking good!!

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 12/10/11 06:14 AM

Scott, here's your twin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCqx2ctSyiw&feature=player_detailpage

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 12/10/11 07:34 AM

Funny that you posted that! Nick and I were discussing that car a couple weeks back, he told me his buddy has owned it all these years. Back when i was a teenager I was driving to Spokane through the Columbia Gorge someplace and passed that very same car on a trailer (probably headed for the Spokane race track) I'll never forget seeing it wearing yellow paint job and the "Lemon Twister" custom lettering. Really cool old car! Mine's not quite a twin to it, different year and a different shade of yellow but close enough!

Posted By: quick77rt

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 12/10/11 04:03 PM

Thats cool as hell Scott, of course no one will expect nothing less then a perfect car from you.

You seem to put alot of people before yourself, so maybe this is the well deserved payoff.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 12/10/11 04:29 PM

Thanks R/T.....But I can tell you this right now, my car will be far from perfect when it comes to "O.E" correctness, etc. simply because it started out as a car that has had a pretty rough life, most of it's original bolt on parts have been scattered in the wind over the years. This one is my "Fun" build car that I plan to drive and enjoy. There will be a number of non O.E. replacement parts used simply because NOS exhaust, etc. won't make sense for a car like this, but I am doing my best to put date code correct original parts back on it where feasable/possible to bring her back as close to original as I can under the circumstances and I will be restoring most of the componants to factory correct standards.

Lots of work to do still but body and paint is a major step forward

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 12/18/11 08:09 AM

Quote:

Funny that you posted that! Nick and I were discussing that car a couple weeks back, he told me his buddy has owned it all these years. Back when i was a teenager I was driving to Spokane through the Columbia Gorge someplace and passed that very same car on a trailer (probably headed for the Spokane race track) I'll never forget seeing it wearing yellow paint job and the "Lemon Twister" custom lettering. Really cool old car! Mine's not quite a twin to it, different year and a different shade of yellow but close enough!

Whats really cool is that it still wears it's original paint

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 02/17/12 04:47 AM

Any updates Scott?

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 02/17/12 04:56 AM

Updates? Yes, tons, but nothing to show off just yet, I have a BUNCH of componants stripped and ready for paint, etc. many parts out for plating, many new parts ordered and on the way to me, and still others I need to buy (soon). Hopefully I'll have some pics to post the next week or so.

Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/05/12 07:53 AM

Scott,

Who's doing the body and paint?

Lindy

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 08/05/12 12:42 PM

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 08/05/12 12:59 PM

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 08/05/12 02:33 PM

Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 08/05/12 03:59 PM

Posted By: AdamR

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 08/05/12 07:39 PM

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 08/05/12 07:50 PM

Stop it! Body guy is dragging Azzz.......Still a few (really) minor details to take care of, next step will be the underbody dip sealer, then finally paint.....Hopefully sooner than later on both.

Attached picture 7323078-Duster1.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 08/05/12 07:52 PM

2x

Attached picture 7323082-Duster2.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 08/05/12 07:53 PM

3x

Attached picture 7323084-Duster3.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 08/05/12 07:53 PM

4x

Attached picture 7323086-Duster4.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 08/06/12 01:43 AM

Cars looking great. Can't wait to see color\clear on it.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 08/06/12 02:20 AM

Me neither! But there won't be any clear, just straight up single stage enamel and a prayer it lays down as good or hopefully a tad better than factory

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/04/12 12:32 AM

Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/04/12 01:28 AM

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/04/12 01:32 AM

I was nit picking the body guy last week, shouldn't be long now, down to some tiny anal details

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/04/12 04:41 AM

"I was nit picking the body guy last week"

Ahhhhaa...now we know why its taking so long..

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/19/12 02:15 AM

Any updates on parts or the car?

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/19/12 05:10 AM

The body "dip" coating was applied today, I'll post pics tomarrow. I'm not going crazy getting the dip line exact because it's going to be all covered in yellow on the blend areas anyway but I did take great pains in getting the color and texture match right. Yellow should go on next week if all goes well.

I had a bunch of suspension stuff sand blasted and Evaporusted, pics will pop up soon.

BTW, how did you paint your black suspension parts Brent? What type of paint and what type of gun? What did you do to (rust strip method, etc.) restore your center section and axle tube?

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/19/12 12:07 PM

Scott for rust I'm thinking intial rust removal then evapo rust

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/21/12 03:46 AM

I powdercoated my axle and K frame actually. I know its not OE, but its durable and easy to clean. So those parts and my springs were all sandblasted. The rest of my parts were Evaporusted and RPM'd.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/21/12 04:01 AM

So far all of my parts are cleaning up with Evaporust, I'm going to shoot the black parts in a straight black enamel, RPM the natural items, and dip the LCA's in a Cosmoline like product. I tore down my disc brake assemblies today and have everything soaking in ER, did some small ding and dent removal on the K-member, gathered up all of my black phosphate small parts and am sending them off, and ordered some more parts I'll be needing to get everything assembled again. Looks like a couple weeks of waiting before all of the parts I need to assemble stuff will be back to me, then I'll get going and start some sub assemblies.
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/21/12 03:39 PM

Outstanding job on that body work.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/23/12 11:56 PM

Bottom is now sealed up with a factory color matched "almost black but not quite" dip finish (LA plant car). Shouldn't be long before paint now

Attached picture 7391669-YellowDusterSeptember212012BottomPaint.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/24/12 12:30 AM

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/26/12 03:18 AM

Can't wait to see it painted!!!

Wilson

Attached picture 7394838-waterheater013.JPG

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/27/12 01:30 AM

One last step before putting the doors back on, checking final gaps and alignment, then a final block and mask....

Attached picture 7395929-RockChargers009.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/27/12 01:31 AM

Attached picture 7395932-RockChargers010.jpg
Posted By: CuriousYella70

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/27/12 01:46 PM

Quote:

One last step before putting the doors back on, checking final gaps and alignment, then a final block and mask....

Are you going black instead of the original GY3? Or am I under the wrong assumption that only the upper/lower panels of the door got painted gloss black and the rest was body color?

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/27/12 01:50 PM

He will tape off the black portion before painting the yellow

Attached picture 7396517-477.JPG

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/27/12 01:51 PM

No, it will be GY3, the upper and lower doors were black, afterwards those areas will get masked off and the yellow will cover the rest.

*Adam beat me too it

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/27/12 02:21 PM

Quote:

No, it will be GY3, the upper and lower doors were black, afterwards those areas will get masked off and the yellow will cover the rest.

*Adam beat me too it

Is there a certain shade or tone to the black? My roadrunner is going base coat clear coat and I have to buy the black, so should I just get some black base for these areas?

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/27/12 02:28 PM

I am having my car painted in single stage (similar to what the factory used) so the black on my doors is just plain old TX9 black single stage.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/27/12 02:34 PM

I thought so but wanted to make sure - thought you might be going black on black instead of the GY3

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/27/12 02:40 PM

Quote:

I am having my car painted in single stage (similar to what the factory used) so the black on my doors is just plain old TX9 black single stage.

High or low gloss? My only question is I have only seen car when they were already 20 years old and had wear on them.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/27/12 02:45 PM

Mine was done in base clear so it was gloss. I sprayed the black base, masked it off sprayed the color and cleared it all at once.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/27/12 02:53 PM

Factory was gloss, but keep in mind, single stage enamel does not offer the "shine" that a base clear does, but only one is "correct", choose whichever suites your tastes. Also, for 340 Dusters with the V24 hood blackout, the upper door frames (coded 5X8) were painted in a unique low gloss charcoal finish to compliment the matte finish blackout on the tops of the outsides of the doors. See attached pic for example of codes

Attached picture 7396622-FC7Duster.jpg
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/27/12 05:53 PM

What's the car look like that that tag was attached to???

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/27/12 06:07 PM

Rough but saveable. I looked it over in person, it was in Utah, bare rusty #'s engine block in the trunk, non #s trans, rusty quarters, hit in the front caused a bent frame rail forward of the shock tower, most front sheet metal replaced from accident, most rare/expensive 71 only 340 parts were missing or heavily damaged. As good as it looked in pics it was a total basket case. If it had the #s trans I would be the new owner but I passed, Neat car but he was asking too much for it's condition and incomplete numbers matching status. He eventually lowered his price and a guy from Texas bought it.

Attached picture 7396894-DriversSideA.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/27/12 06:08 PM

What you see here is the replacement 318

Attached picture 7396896-EngineBay.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/27/12 06:09 PM

rear

Attached picture 7396897-IMG_4567.JPG

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/27/12 06:09 PM

dash

Attached picture 7396898-InteriorE.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/27/12 06:10 PM

etc.

Attached picture 7396901-InteriorB.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/28/12 12:27 AM

Lotsa work to make that one nice...
Posted By: JRepucci

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/28/12 12:43 AM

Scott, Here is a pic of the fender tag from one of the 71 340 Dusters that I've had.... V24 but TX9 upper door color.

Attached picture 7397440-tagVS29H1E102792.JPG
Posted By: dmoore

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/28/12 01:33 AM

There sure is a big difference in the font's between Hamtramck & L.A. plants!

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/28/12 01:39 AM

Wow Jason, that's a first! I've never seen a V24 car coded for TX9 upper doors, wierd! Cool car BTW, where is it now days?

Dmoore, not all LA tags look that way, some have the more traditional fonts, there seems to be no real transition date either as I've seen both styles from the same SPD week in both directions. I'm guessing they had two tag machines pumping out tags each with different fonts at the same time.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/28/12 03:22 AM

Scott, the car may still be around but is missing it original drive train and the body was pretty rough... it had had the drivers quarter replaced and was sectioned on through the trunk floor and tail panel

It was a pretty early build car "901" plus it has a "R" at the beginning of the sequence number... Executive production like my hemicuda.

Here is the only pic I could find... it had power steering, tuff wheel, rubber floor mat, and tinted glass.

Attached picture 7397681-71duster3402.JPG

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/28/12 03:54 AM

Jason, did that car have a green painted hood with the 340 wedge decal on it?

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/28/12 03:58 AM

Here is another V24 car that I had... Sold it to a guy in Stockton, California in around 1997.

Attached picture 7397714-71340dusterside.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/28/12 03:58 AM

Interior

Attached picture 7397715-71340dustereng.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/28/12 04:00 AM

engine

Attached picture 7397720-71340dusterint.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/28/12 04:02 AM

hood

Attached picture 7397725-71340dusterhood.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/28/12 04:05 AM

Quote:

Jason, did that car have a green painted hood with the 340 wedge decal on it?

Yes.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/28/12 04:09 AM

bummer......it got parted out....I have the hood in my garage!

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/28/12 04:14 AM

Jason, did that car have a green painted hood with the 340 wedge decal on it? Yes Sorry to jump in but this is really interesting

Did that FJ6 car have the A pillar (paint border) trim? I would think a decal V24) without the orgonasol would be a dealer added item?
What does the R before the production number mean?

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/28/12 04:24 AM

Quote:

Jason, did that car have a green painted hood with the 340 wedge decal on it? Yes Sorry to jump in but this is really interesting

Did that FJ6 car have the A pillar (paint border) trim? I would think a decal V24) without the orgonasol would be a dealer added item?
What does the R before the production number mean?

This car had V24 on the fender tag... the car had been repainted at one time... it had the "a" pillar trim.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/28/12 04:29 AM

Very cool, Thank you

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/28/12 04:33 AM

Correct, this hood has a VERY old repaint with no black out added back and the decal (correct black & white style) put back on.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/28/12 04:45 AM

Quote:

Xorrect, this hood has a VERY old repaint with no black out added back and the decal (correct black & white style) put back on.

If I remember correclty that car had also been hit in the front hard enough to kink the frame... the grille was in mint condition and far better than the rest of the car, The XX interior was black and white houndstooth cloth.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/28/12 04:55 AM

The last of it was on display by the last owner at the Spring Fling in the swap meet...Hood, hacked off roof, etc......Sad

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/28/12 06:44 AM

Jason, was the yellow car GY3 or FY1? Hard to tell from the pic? Maybe it's neither due to the re-paint? On the outside my car will look VERY similar, remove the V24 and the bumper gaurds and that's what mine looked like. Do you know the current whereabouts of the yellow one?

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/28/12 02:21 PM

It was/is a GY3 car. The pictures of the car are scanned 35mm photos.

I have not seen the car since I sold it.

I may have one of the build sheets from the car.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/28/12 03:05 PM

Quote:

engine

Is the black paint job 'factory' in terms of how far it goes down on the firewall? I didn't think any of the firewall got painted black?

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/28/12 05:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

engine

Is the black paint job 'factory' in terms of how far it goes down on the firewall? I didn't think any of the firewall got painted black?

No. I don't think so. Scott would probably know.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/28/12 06:11 PM

I dont think they masked it off under the hood so it would go as far as the over spray makes it.
Posted By: rgreule

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/29/12 12:49 AM

scott,

when do i get ot see this thing? i want to check it out

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/29/12 12:54 AM

As promised Scott, less than 24hrs too....

Attached picture 7398801-imagejpeg_6.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/29/12 12:56 AM

Heres the Drivers side innder wheel lip termination point.

Attached picture 7398805-DustertrimBlackout.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/29/12 01:03 AM

The clips..... PM me your info and I'll send them

Attached picture 7398820-Dustertrimclips.JPG

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/29/12 02:15 AM

Thanks a ton Bob, sorry I had to have you check out stuff on a car in New Mexico when the very same car sat in my own back yard here in Spokane for over a year! (Duh! Me!)

Attached picture 7398905-71TwisterRockerMoldings.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/29/12 02:18 AM

Quote:

scott,

when do i get ot see this thing? i want to check it out

Paint is currently scheduled for next week, then it needs to sit and cure a week or two so hopefully I'll have it back at my house by mid October. Since the SPD is October 02, 1970 that's just about 42 years to the day that it got painted the first time!

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/29/12 02:32 AM

Are they going to sand and buff it before you get it home?

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/29/12 02:37 AM

I'm not sure what the call is on that

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/29/12 02:50 AM

Quote:

The problem of getting the details right on a 71 Duster is that so few people have EVER studied the correct details. Most of the restored ones or clones out there have a few to a bunch of changes, add ons, and other non original mods, finding a bone stock 100% original type restoration is basically unheard of. As common as they once were it's amazing how so few still survive with original paint and other details, trust me getting all the little stuff right is a MAJOR challenge with these cars! MUCH more difficult than restoring a more popular car like a Hemi Cuda, etc.

In answer to your question, the only 2 examples of original paint V24 hood Dusters had paint details like Jason's yellow example, it looks like a mask was used but a loose fitting one that allowed the edges to fog a bit.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/29/12 02:52 AM

Quote:

Thanks a ton Bob, sorry I had to have you check out stuff on a car in New Mexico when the very same car sat in my own back yard here in Spokane for over a year! (Duh! Me!)

You're welcome Sir, and to think I found it by coincidence too

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/29/12 03:02 AM

Factory cars never were color sanded so it makes for a tough call.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/29/12 03:09 AM

Yea I realize that, hopefully the single stage won't orange peel more than it should and it won't be required. It's not an OE level car, just a higher end attempt to build a nice one following as many factory procedures as feesable or practicale for a car that's missing it's original drive train, has been a appart and back together multiple times, and eventually will get driven (if it were a more original #s matching car I would have gone further). So it won't be a huge deal if it needs to be cut and smoothed a bit. Going with single stage vs base/clear was a tough choice but I think I made the right one
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/29/12 03:16 AM

You did make the right call, I wanted mine done in single stage but my painter said he did me a "favor" and painted base/clear...

Attached picture 7398970-MVC-001S.JPG
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 09/29/12 04:11 AM

I painted my Red 71 Bee in Enamel. While I appreciate the "sucked candy" look these cars don't quite look right with it. Might as well have the wrong hose clamps. I say go for it

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/05/12 08:00 PM

We have some color! The plan was to jamb some of the harder to reach areas then bolt everything up and recheck all the alignments and gaps then to shoot the rest of the car all at once factory style. So far the single stage is laying down really nice. Then next pics you'll see with be an all yellow car

Attached picture 7408466-DeckLid.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/05/12 08:03 PM

Door

Attached picture 7408470-Door.jpg
Posted By: 79machocharger

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/05/12 11:42 PM

So did you decide to give it the v24 paint treatment. I really would love to see it done up that way. Car is looking awesome!!!

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/06/12 12:01 AM

No V24 for now, I want to restore it to the fender tag first, maybe a year down the road I'll add some factory options, we'll see.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/07/12 02:07 AM

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/08/12 04:54 PM

Rocker Molding Clips
RP-CK702AW
70-72 DUSTER/DEMON & 70-71 DART (2 Dr HT)
(these are for the cars that have approx 2" wide moldings) $ 69.95/kit

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/10/12 11:45 PM

Thanks on the molding clips Bob, the 2 forward rocker metal clips you sent are rough but cleaned up ok and will work but I haven't quit looking for new ones. (still need door glass wear items).

Here are some more pics with yellow, schedule is to paint the rest of the car in the morning, I should have it home early next week, then the giant assembly puzzle will begin!

Attached picture 7415506-2.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/10/12 11:46 PM

2A

Attached picture 7415508-1.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/10/12 11:46 PM

3A

Attached picture 7415509-3.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/10/12 11:47 PM

4A

Attached picture 7415516-4.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/11/12 04:56 AM

5A

Attached picture 7416152-5.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/11/12 06:16 PM

Look'n good Scott! Brings back not so distant memories Soon the real fun begins!

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/12/12 03:50 AM

Looks good!!! Can't wait to see more!!

I assume they know to paint the area below the rear door panels black??? Still yellow in the last pic..

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/12/12 05:26 AM

Yep the blackout goes on last

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/12/12 05:59 AM

Top shelf...

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/13/12 01:38 AM

She's Yeller! Man this sucker needs some black on it BAD!

Attached picture 7418602-Yellow1.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/13/12 01:39 AM

Nudder.....And in case you are wondering why the deck lid and trunk are removed....The body guy wanted to paint them flat on stands but will be dusting some paint on the bolts after bolting them on and adjusting them so they all look factory adjusted, etc.

Attached picture 7418603-Yellow2.jpg
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/13/12 02:23 AM

Awesome paint Scott. It looks like they nailed the color! It has that greenish hint in there.
You have a PM.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/13/12 02:54 AM

Thanks Dave, I'll make that call, yes the color looks weird in pics but it appears to be spot on
Posted By: burdar

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/13/12 03:59 AM

Looks awsome Scott! After working on other peoples parts, it must be nice to do something for yourself.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/13/12 04:55 AM

Yes it's a fun deal doing one for myself, it's been a long time coming for sure.

I can tell you one thing, this deal isn't cheap! A thousand bucks every time I turn around! Seat covers, upholstry shop labor, misc. machine shop labor, suspension parts, clutch, presure plate, flywheel, tires, center caps, seat belts, weather stripping, carpeting, head liner, door panels, cat wiskers, bumper rechroming, brake work, drive shaft, center section, leaf spring kits, lug nuts, etc, etc, etc.!

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/13/12 03:51 PM

Thats looking good!!!!

How long has it been since you restored a car for yourself? Its gonna be awesome when its finished!

On the spending $ part. If its any consolation, eventually you'll just start spending $100 here and there instead of a $1000...

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/13/12 04:40 PM

Quote:

How long has it been since you restored a car for yourself?

I've done a lot of work on other peoples cars over the years but the last car I did restoration work on for myself was my 67 Hemi Belvedere, it's been a LOOOONG time! What's nice about working on my own stuff is that rather than being stressful, it's relaxing. I only have to please myself, not the same deal when doing work for a customer.
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/14/12 04:49 PM

Love that color!

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/14/12 05:13 PM

Thanks! The florescent lighting in the booth sort of washes it out, it pops a lot better in natural light.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/14/12 06:37 PM

Look'n good Scott
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/15/12 01:45 AM

Quote:

Heres the Drivers side innder wheel lip termination point.

What is the dimension of the rocket moulding clip from tip to tip? How is it attached to the rocker?

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/15/12 03:26 AM

The single metal clip is the forward most clip, there are only 2 per car, they bolt on last. The plastic clips are held in place with studs that are welded to the body, they look like nails with 1/4" dia heads. The trim is put on the plastic clips first then after being put on the car the steel clip is added as the final anchor point.

Attached picture 7421225-1971DusterRockerClips.jpg
Posted By: YYZ

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/15/12 10:35 PM

It looks great, Scott! The Curious Yellow looks to be right on (did you go with Centari or something else?)
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/15/12 11:47 PM

Quote:

Yes it's a fun deal doing one for myself, it's been a long time coming for sure.

I can tell you one thing, this deal isn't cheap! A thousand bucks every time I turn around! Seat covers, upholstry shop labor, misc. machine shop labor, suspension parts, clutch, presure plate, flywheel, tires, center caps, seat belts, weather stripping, carpeting, head liner, door panels, cat wiskers, bumper rechroming, brake work, drive shaft, center section, leaf spring kits, lug nuts, etc, etc, etc.!

Whadya talkin' about Scott?? You can get a "frame off" resto for $25k any day of the week! If you don't believe me, just start a thread on resto costs!

Car is looking great; I hope to see it sometime...

Dave

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/16/12 03:30 AM

Just updated my shopping list, and I'm sure I've left some stuff out.......

Fuel lines (hard lines and rubber KV – Tank to Carb)
Fuel pump
Brake Lines (hard and flex)
Shocks
Fuel tank (a correct one!)
Rallye Wheel Center caps
Door glass mechanism nylon guides and wear parts (need these badly!)
Leaf spring kits (I already have real zinc liners, need the rest)
Black arm rest bases
Trunk Matt
Spare tire cardboard cover
Undercoating material for wheel wells
8.75 brake and axle seal and brake rebuild parts
U-joints and caps
Trans Mount
Battery
Exhaust
Disc brake caliper rebuild parts
Head lamps
Disc Brake Rotors
Belts
Hoses
Complete decal kit for the car
Cosmolene

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/16/12 07:39 PM

C'mon Scott, surely that stuff can't be more than a couple hundred bucks!

The nice thing is that you are knowledgeable enough to avoid many mistakes during the resto and also you know who to deal with and what stuff to avoid.

My Superbee was part of my "Mopar education" and though I tried hard to make the right decisions, I did make many mistakes...luckily (?) most of them were solved by just shovelling more cash at the car! I have more repop stuff in storage than I do on the car; it became commonplace for me to order a repop part, look at it, toss it in the storage room and search ebay for a good or rebuildable original.

Also, some stuff just wasn't available; I sure wish that RPM stuff was out then and I wouldn't have used all that "simulated cast grey" paint on parts....oh well.

With your knowledge and contacts, I bet you can do a truly top drawer resto for not much more than most of us spend for something that, while nice, isn't anywhere near as correct.

Dave

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/26/12 03:06 AM

The latest pics before it comes home for the assembly process, hood and deck lid attached and properly painted, the color looks like it should out in the sun, BLINDINGLY yellow!

Attached picture 7435395-A.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/26/12 03:07 AM

b

Attached picture 7435398-B.jpg

c

Attached picture 7435399-C.jpg

d

Attached picture 7435400-D.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/26/12 03:08 AM

e

Attached picture 7435406-E.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/26/12 04:01 AM

Looking good! Now its time for the real fun begin after the nerve racking ride home from the body shop..

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/27/12 03:26 AM

In a few weeks, you should have it all put back together. LOL..

Looking awesome.

I painted my 340 swinger Lemon Twist, and during the spring and fall shows, the bugs loved the car. It was a bug magnet!

Hope you don't have the same problem.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/27/12 04:40 AM

Quote:

I painted my 340 swinger Lemon Twist, and during the spring and fall shows, the bugs loved the car. It was a bug magnet!

Hope you don't have the same problem

None to worry, we don't have NEARLY the insects that you'll have in the south, been there done that in Florida (Love Bugs)!

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/27/12 12:36 PM

Very nice
Posted By: Shoozy

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/27/12 04:17 PM

I see a run. Seriously, blinding is an apt description and it looks mahhhvelous.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/27/12 04:50 PM

Looks awesome Scott!!! Are you keeping a log or coming up with a manual for us A body guys to use as a reference/blueprint like the E body guys have?

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/28/12 08:36 PM

Looking good Scott........
Love that GY3........

Wilson

Attached picture 7438655-mower009.JPG

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/28/12 08:57 PM

FY1 Right?

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/02/12 04:36 AM

Nope, GY3, just looks weird/pale in some of the indoor pics

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/06/12 01:42 AM

hehe

looking good scott.. do we get to race the duster against eachother next summer?

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/06/12 03:27 AM

Nt sure? What Duster and who are you?

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/06/12 05:16 AM

Any updates?

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/06/12 05:23 AM

Nope,the body shop is applying the lower body rocker blackout paint this week and (hopefully) bring it home next weekend.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/06/12 05:44 AM

WOW, that color will match your teeth PERFECTLY!

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/06/12 06:16 AM

The yellow or the black?

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/06/12 07:05 PM

Quote:

Nt sure? What Duster and who are you?

ryan, doing the turbo build.. i have been to your house to drop off the bench seat..

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/06/12 07:58 PM

Ok.......That helps LOL! Sure we can run em! As long as we run stock 14" polyglass tires, deal?

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/06/12 09:07 PM

you mean i cant run my 325s.. its gonna be a 100 mph smoke show with ploys.. lol

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/06/12 09:14 PM

Exactly!

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/06/12 10:45 PM

where's the underside pics?

Dave

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/07/12 04:43 AM

Undersides coming soon. Picked up the seats today, came out awesome!

Attached picture 7452109-DusterFrontSeatA.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/07/12 04:45 AM

back seat

Attached picture 7452115-DusterSeatsRearA.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/08/12 02:30 AM

Side Shot

Attached picture 7453328-1UA.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/08/12 02:31 AM

Underside shot, after this shot they did a (very small) bit of touch up in a few spots adding paint to make it match the original over spray

Attached picture 7453330-1U.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/08/12 02:34 AM

Before

Attached picture 7453338-1SteamCleaned.jpg
Posted By: mopars_1

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/08/12 02:50 AM

LOVE it! looking real good. whos restoring your carb?

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/08/12 03:09 AM

Righteous!!!

So when are you planning on having it finished?

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/08/12 03:17 AM

Quote:

LOVE it! looking real good. whos restoring your carb?

"I know a guy"

Quote:

So when are you planning on having it finished?

I'm hoping for summer, my free time ain't what it used to be.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/08/12 03:22 AM

Looks Great , It's really nice too see these 1971 340 Duster's getting restored and the right way..

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/08/12 03:12 PM

Quote:

Underside shot, after this shot they did a (very small) bit of touch up in a few spots adding paint to make it match the original over spray

What was the point of spraying the bottom black? Why did the factory do that? If it was undercoating, I could understand why but why black paint?
Posted By: chromedome426

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/08/12 04:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What was the point of spraying the bottom black? Why did the factory do that? If it was undercoating, I could understand why but why black paint?

The factory didn't actually PAINT the bottom of the car black. The bottom of the car was dipped into a tank of a protective coating that was black or dark gray. That is why our cars have all those drain holes in the floor pans and frame rails.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/08/12 05:07 PM

Los Angeles cars had the darker almost black color dip, other plants used grey

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/08/12 11:35 PM

For those following this post, Washington state just leaglized the casual use of canibus so expect this build to take a little longer than previously expected

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/09/12 01:02 AM

Quote:

For those following this post, Washington state just leaglized the casual use of canibus so expect this build to take a little longer than previously expected

I don't think so

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/09/12 01:54 AM

Yea, not my "Bag" besides, I have a CDL so it excludes me anyway.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/13/12 12:06 AM

lookin good!

Dave

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/18/12 04:16 AM

Finally home!

Now the fun begins!

Attached picture 7466105-1.jpg
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/18/12 05:02 PM

Great! Now start throwing parts at it! Did you get your k frame/front suspension stuff figured out?
Posted By: Shoozy

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/18/12 05:24 PM

Awesome! Now quit posting and get to work - the meter's running.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/18/12 08:09 PM

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/19/12 06:10 PM

Quote:

Great! Now start throwing parts at it! Did you get your k frame/front suspension stuff figured out?

No not yet, still thinking about options.

Meanwhile I'm just going to build a stock setup to get the car on the ground. I'll be using all Moog parts and rubber bushings, etc. throughout, but with 73-later spindles and BB disc brakes with BB 14" Rallye wheels. I am also building a second 8.75 rear end that I bought, I'll be using a new Dr.Diff Center section and BBP axles for the 14" BBP wheels and reproduction Goodyear Polyglass tires, and will be using stock rebuild leaf springs.

So, basically I'll have:

One setup that's all NOS parts and the stock SBP KH disc brakes, assembled, detailed and bagged, and a set of SBP Rallye wheels to go with it.

The stock original looking setup with Moog parts and a few small mods like brakes and wheel BP, going under the car for now as described above.

Then a 3rd setup with all of the upgraded handling componants which I'll install later on once I decide on the combo.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/19/12 06:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No not yet, still thinking about options.

Meanwhile I'm just going to build a stock setup to get the car on the ground. I'll be using all Moog parts and rubber bushings, etc. throughout, but with 73-later spindles and BB disc brakes with BB 14" Rallye wheels. I am also building a second 8.75 rear end that I bought, I'll be using a new Dr.Diff Center section and BBP axles for the 14" BBP wheels and reproduction Goodyear Polyglass tires, and will be using stock rebuild leaf springs.

So, basically I'll have:

One setup that's all NOS parts and the stock SBP KH disc brakes, assembled, detailed and bagged, and a set of SBP Rallye wheels to go with it.

The stock original looking setup with Moog parts and a few small mods like brakes and wheel BP, going under the car for now as described above.

Then a 3rd setup with all of the upgraded handling componants which I'll install later on once I decide on the combo.

lol so explain the reason for 3 different setups? I'm assuming one is to make sure the car is fun to drive and drive smoothly. I'm assuming the stock one will be in case you ever sell it and then you'll install that setup?

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/19/12 10:03 PM

You need two more cars

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/20/12 01:24 AM

No Tom, I'm good, I have this 71, a newly aquired 70 3x TX9 340 4gear, a /6 3 speed 1970 Duster, and a spare 71 parts car.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/20/12 12:56 PM

...but like I told you'll need an Orange 340 4spd one if you're ever going to complete your "color wheel" collection

Attached picture 7469307-340Dusterdr.jpg
Posted By: MrNormsTA

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/21/12 05:41 PM

Looks good Scott, good luck.

Rick.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 12/29/12 08:08 PM

Now where's my whip crack'n smilie??

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 12/29/12 09:27 PM

I'm at the peak of carburetor restoration season....my car has taken a backseat to keeping up this month. I have more needed parts on order as well so it's all still piling up. I'll probably get back on it in late January.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 05/26/13 05:55 PM

Posted By: Thread Ender1

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 05/26/13 11:20 PM

Quote:

No pic's? have you done anything?
Posted By: 65signet

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 06/17/13 09:45 PM

Quote:

That IS that Demon

It's had a lot of work done to it since that trip. The original numbers matching 340 4 speed drivetrain is under the bench for safe keeping and it now has a 525hp 416 stroker 340 in it, new wire harness, restored dash assembly, new Dr. Diff 4.10 center section, rebuilt suspension, new bumpers, tires, brakes, etc. It runs VERY strong on the street and is a hoot to tear around in!

Hey that is my old car! looks much better now than when i had it, nice low mileage numbers matching car.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 06/20/13 05:55 PM

Scott, I found an old registration to my GY3 Duster.

VS29H1E 124964

Attached picture 7749224-71340dusterfront.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 07/06/13 03:53 PM

Man Jason, that is sure a dream Duster right there!

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 01/27/14 04:23 AM

Has this car died?

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 01/27/14 06:12 AM

Nope, still picking at it, just short on available time. The drive train and suspension are now 100% done so it's just a lot of assembly work now.

Attached picture 8013452-340stand.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 01/27/14 07:05 AM

Looks alive and well
Posted By: PasiR

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 01/27/14 10:48 AM

More pics

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 01/27/14 03:52 PM

I am still doing the monthly follow along in Chrysler Power Magazine so I'm limiting internet postings until after they are published. For now here are a few things that aren't in them.

Cosmoline dipping process for the LCA's, We don't use no stinking Krylon! We use real (and very stinky!) Cosmoline

Attached picture 8013657-cosmoline.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 01/27/14 03:55 PM

First these arms were steam cleaned, degreased in solvent, soaked in Evaporust for a couple days, rubbed clean with non abrasive scotchbrite pads, rinsed again in solvent (Acetone) then treated with ECS's RPM rust prevention. Even though the chemicals do a lot of the work, it can be fairly time consuming to get a crusty original pair looking this nice.

Attached picture 8013658-1.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 01/27/14 03:59 PM

Next up, the nasty part. I invested in 5 gallons of authentic Cosmoline (I say invested because this stuff is $$$$!). I have some NOS LCA's and used them for reference on the original dip line location (which varied a lot on originals).

Attached picture 8013663-Dipped.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 01/27/14 03:59 PM

Coming out of the goo

Attached picture 8013664-Drying.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 01/27/14 04:02 PM

This stuff doesn't run off very fast (think in hours not minutes) so you need to have them hung over something to catch the mess for a while, it will leave some thicker areas near the bottom where it runs or accumulates while drip drying, but overall it self levels pretty well and looks even. it's still very wet and "moving" in these pics.

Attached picture 8013666-Box.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 01/28/14 02:48 AM

Quote:

Nope, still picking at it, just short on available time. The drive train and suspension are now 100% done so it's just a lot of assembly work now.

99.9%, I see an inner tie rod with no grease fitting But seriously, That looks fantastic Scott

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 01/28/14 03:06 AM

Well if you really want to be THAT picky there's no inspection markings, cotter pins, zirts, etc. but I won't be doing a few of those things until it's all bolted in the car.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 01/28/14 03:10 AM

Ha! Pay no attention Scott..keep up the fabulous work & post numerous pics when you can!
Posted By: Tempest

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 01/28/14 03:58 AM

Quote:

I am still doing the monthly follow along in Chrysler Power Magazine so I'm limiting internet postings until after they are published. For now here are a few things that aren't in them.

Cosmoline dipping process for the LCA's, We don't use no stinking Krylon! We use real (and very stinky!) Cosmoline

And to think how much time I have spent trying to remove that stuff from WWII Russian rifles!!!

Just kidding (but really did). Motor looks awesome!

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 01/28/14 06:20 AM

Nice teaser…more please!
How long does it take the cosmoline to fully cure/dry? Are the parts easy to handle once it does or do you risk smearing it? Looks great BTW.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 01/28/14 06:42 AM

I'll post more each month.

It dries to a durable hardness depending on the temperature, my shop is pretty cool (55F) and they were nice and dry in a few days, probably works faster in a warm shop.

I think the Cosmoline has gotten an undeserved bad rap for collecting dust, wiping off, etc. The stuff is plenty durable for a car that is treated on the pampered side and driven mostly in nicer weather. While you can grab it with your bare hand and feel a waxy tackiness, it's pretty darn tough, it doesn't rub or wipe off easily at all. Regular dust and dirt washes off with a water dampened rag leaving the Cosmoline behind looking unscathed.
Posted By: mickm

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 01/29/14 01:31 AM

so why were only the LCA's treated with cosmoline? why not other suspension/general parts on the cars?

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 01/29/14 02:31 AM

Quote:

so why were only the LCA's treated with cosmoline? why not other suspension/general parts on the cars?

Beats me.
Posted By: mickm

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 01/31/14 10:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Beats me.

well, there you go. as official an answer as it gets!

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 02/01/14 02:52 AM

Never thought about rust veto in a bucket. I bought spray cans and it took a week of spraying in many many layers to get the look I wanted. Thanks for sharing the technique.
Posted By: Troy

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 02/05/14 08:08 PM

Hay Scott, spray some Krylon Satin clear on those arms and they wont be sticky anymore.

What lower bushings are you running???

Where did you get the Cosmoline from?

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 02/07/14 10:20 PM

The Cosmoline is less sticky with time, I doubt it will need any coating to keep it looking good with fair weather cruising. The lower bushings are Hotchkiss regreasables (they don't look 100% correct but I'm gonna drive the car so I made a functional judgment call). I also dipped the correctly dated originals with OEM style bushings in case I ever want to swap back (huge PIA though). I bought the Cosmoline online direct from Cosmoline, it was around $400.00 shipped for 5 gals.
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 02/08/14 06:19 PM

Quote:

... The lower bushings are Hotchkiss regreasables (they don't look 100% correct but I'm gonna drive the car so I made a functional judgment call). ...

I have to think of this for my Daytona project... hmmmmmmm

Good idea......... Like you, I plan on putting a lot of fuel through those carbs you built for me........

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/11/14 09:09 PM

Do you have pictures of the K frame assembled without the motor on it ?
Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/11/14 11:16 PM

Quote:

Do you have pictures of the K frame assembled without the motor on it ?

I've got one for a slant-six K frame that came out of a '71 Demon...

Attached picture 8070362-20140209_093823.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/12/14 01:28 AM

Quote:

I've got one for a slant-six K frame that came out of a '71 Demon...

I know what old rusty ones look like. Im hoping to see some pictures of Scotts nicely detailed parts

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/12/14 02:34 AM

I'll post some pics later Adam, I built the suspension after I installed the engine so there are no "before" shots showing it like that /6 setup. I still need to torque everything up, add the paint daubs, etc. but it's pretty much done.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/12/14 05:15 AM

AdamR heres a couple that may help you till Scott posts his. Ignore the blue sway bar bushings please Although these may not be 100% correct. If you want to see others PM me your email address.

Attached picture 8070845-P1020287.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/12/14 05:19 AM

Backside. K member is semi gloss powdercoat.

Attached picture 8070854-P1020360.JPG

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/12/14 01:41 PM

Thanks, Im just trying to get an idea of what was painted and what was left natural. Looks like Just the K frame was painted on yours ?

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/12/14 02:20 PM

Yes, and some upper control arms

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/12/14 02:46 PM

For the record, VERY little actually got painted. I have yet to see a factory Duster (any year) with painted upper (or lower) control arms.

The K-member was painted black, the sway bar and forward sway bar clamps were painted black (sway bare links were bare steel) and I've seen survivor power steering cars with a black painted steering boxes AND the pitman arm (as if painted as an assembly). The disc brake dust shields were galvanized steel (no paint). All else was bare cast iron or steel. The lower control arms being dipped in cosmoline, everything else was left to rust.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/12/14 03:05 PM

My car is pretty original so once I get the front end out I should have much issuing telling what was painted and what wasnt. I can easily see were my LCA were dipped. My steering box has traces of of black paint on it and it looks like the pitman arm may also. My car is a 318 so no sway bar or brake booster.

Oddly my trans crossmember doesnt look to have been painted.

Ive found lots of cool stamps, inspection marks and numbers on it. I also found the tag on under the carpet that had the color on it. The car is a 73 but has a cutpile carpet and not a loop. This is one of my favorites, Found on the back of the front bumper.

Attached picture 8071120-112.JPG
Posted By: Turbo224

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/13/14 10:16 PM

Cool project! Looking forward to more pictures though...

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/14/14 04:00 AM

Quote:

For the record, VERY little actually got painted. I have yet to see a factory Duster (any year) with painted upper (or lower) control arms.

The K-member was painted black, the sway bar and forward sway bar clamps were painted black (sway bare links were bare steel) and I've seen survivor power steering cars with a black painted steering boxes AND the pitman arm (as if painted as an assembly). The disc brake dust shields were galvanized steel (no paint). All else was bare cast iron or steel. The lower control arms being dipped in cosmoline, everything else was left to rust.

Scott, Both of my UCA were painted....after light cleaning there are still traces....

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/14/14 04:12 AM

LCA, Same treatment.....even the tie rods & sleeves were painted...never,say never in this hobby....

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/14/14 04:17 AM

Now, what I would like to know is what those two straight white chalk marks on the frame rail either side of the UCA signify....see um?

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/14/14 04:41 AM

Dmoore, are you sure that's not paint overspray from the wheel well spray job?

As a side note, I haven't studied many 72 or later A-body suspensions, I would not contest differences/changes after 1971. Please post details that you can on your individual components, it would be interesting to compare your findings with earlier cars.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/14/14 04:50 AM

No over spray Scott, evidence of paint on underside also.....sway bar end links received black paint also. There are a lot in my thread on this car...anything specific?

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/14/14 04:57 AM

No, nothing I haven't seen on your other thread. It's rare to have such great survivor examples to reference, thanks for documenting such things. The things I'd look into if I found things out of the norm (on any car) would be to locate others with the same details for comparisons, also signs of day two changes or spray jobs on original parts to cover corrosion, etc.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/14/14 05:06 AM

Rare indeed....I have yet to find any evidence of paint touch up on this car other than the 3 pin head areas on the trunk and two on the hood done by the original owner who, remembers doing them!

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/14/14 01:14 PM

Thanks for the pictures. Ill have to look carefully at my car. Nothing seems to be painted in it. As a matter of fact half my firewall and half of the hood bottom didnt even have paint on it from the factory

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/22/14 10:17 PM

Here's my OTHER 1971 340 GY3 Duster, it's not restored, just a repaint and seat covers but a fun driver until the other one is done, it's a 100% numbers matching 4 speed car. I am going to add the 340 Stripe soon, should make it look like a completely different car.

Attached picture 8084384-DusterBarn2.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/23/14 02:52 AM

Quote:

Here's my OTHER 1971 340 GY3 Duster, it's not restored, just a repaint and seat covers but a fun driver until the other one is done, it's a 100% numbers matching 4 speed car. I am going to add the 340 Stripe soon, should make it look like a completely different car.

You have two yellow cars?

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/23/14 03:00 AM

Yep!

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/23/14 03:03 AM

Cool, stock 340? Looks like a barn find.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/23/14 03:27 AM

It's pretty much 100% original/stock parts. Original engine and transmission, all stock, just pulled apart, checked out, and reassembled. The previous owner re-painted it the original color (budget job) and I have since spruced up the worn out interior with a new Legendary covers, bucket seat foams, etc. and am doing a fresh dash for it right now, Today I replaced all of the under hood soft parts that are old and worn (belts, hoses, rubber lines, etc. and I restored the original TQ). It'll be a nice driver this summer while I pick at the project car. Car rips pretty good, no power options, 4 speed, and 3.91's make it a blast around town.

*Barn is my parents place, down the hill from where I'm building my new place.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/23/14 03:39 AM

Quote:

It's pretty much 100% original/stock parts. Original engine and transmission, all stock, just pulled apart, checked out, and reassembled. The previous owner re-painted it the original color (budget job) and I have since spruced up the worn out interior with a new Legendary covers, bucket seat foams, etc. and am doing a fresh dash for it right now, Today I replaced all of the under hood soft parts that are old and worn (belts, hoses, rubber lines, etc. and I restored the original TQ). It'll be a nice driver this summer while I pick at the project car. Car rips pretty good, no power options, 4 speed, and 3.91's make it a blast around town.

*Barn is my parents place, down the hill from where I'm building my new place.

In the valley? That's kinda what I wanted to do with the GTS but it was way to far gone to be an immediate driver. I was dealing on a 70 Swinger before I found the GTS. It was a 4 gear car however I didn't like what the frame rails looked like. Apparently they were ok. I just didn't want to chance it and I didn't have anyone that could look at it for me.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/23/14 03:49 AM

No it's about 10 miles Northwest of my place on Broadway (that dome shaped steel building in the background is where I do most of my carb work). If you Google Stoneman Road and Fairview Road you'll see the place. The barn is on the NE corner, my property is on the hill North of Stoneman Road.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/23/14 04:02 AM

Quote:

No it's about 10 miles Northwest of my place on Broadway (that dome shaped steel building in the background is where I do most of my carb work). If you Google Stoneman Road and Fairview Road you'll see the place. The barn is on the NE corner, my property is on the hill North of Stoneman Road.

Cool. Looks like a nice place. How far are you on your place? Same property?

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/23/14 04:13 AM

So far I just chose a builder, the well, access road, and septic field are next. Goal is to move in next summer. It's 15.5 acres to the South of my parents farm, so not on their property but across the road from them and about 1000 feet South.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/23/14 04:28 AM

Quote:

So far I just chose a builder, the well, access road, and septic field are next. Goal is to move in next summer. It's 15.5 acres to the South of my parents farm, so not on their property but across the road from them and about 1000 feet South.

Cool. I like that yellow car. Color kinda grows on you.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/23/14 04:41 AM

Quote:

IMO it looks WAY better with some black on it (which it will have soon). The car was sort of an odd combo, VERY bare bones. GY3 paint, body side molding (which auto deletes the side stripe) GY3 painted steel wheels, bucket seats, a/m radio, 3.91 gears. That's it! I am going to add the side stripe because it breaks up all the yellow and it's an easily reversed add on, and I added the Rallyes because I had them laying around, I may go back to the steal wheels when I get some new tires.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/23/14 05:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

IMO it looks WAY better with some black on it (which it will have soon). The car was sort of an odd combo, VERY bare bones. GY3 paint, body side molding (which auto deletes the side stripe) GY3 painted steel wheels, bucket seats, a/m radio, 3.91 gears. That's it! I am going to add the side stripe because it breaks up all the yellow and it's an easily reversed add on, and I added the Rallyes because I had them laying around, I may go back to the steal wheels when I get some new tires.

That's what I decided to do on the GTS. I also scored some 68 caps. That way it stays correct. I have pictures of the car back in the late 70's, early 80's. The car had Keystones. That's a nice looking car you have.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/23/14 08:09 AM

Here are a few more pics of the engine as I was detailing it.

Attached picture 8084922-340Door5Bare.JPG

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/23/14 08:11 AM

Painted, no primer, just metal etch (Ospho) and gun sprayed single stage enamel supplied by Frank Badelson.

Attached picture 8084923-340Door5Paint.JPG

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/23/14 08:12 AM

Next shot will show it after adding most all of the small parts

Attached picture 8084924-340Door6.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/23/14 08:13 AM

Some more views closer

Attached picture 8084925-340Door7.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/23/14 08:14 AM

back

Attached picture 8084927-340Door8.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/23/14 08:15 AM

Restored original production line "75" choke. Reproductions lack the smaller BA148 #stamping

Attached picture 8084928-Choke.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/23/14 08:18 AM

NOS fuel filter with proper date code. Reproductions are close but there are a number of small differences.

Attached picture 8084933-FuelFilterNOS3.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/23/14 08:19 AM

Original fuel pump restored

Attached picture 8084934-FuelPumpAfter1.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/23/14 08:20 AM

Fuel pump date, hard to read but it is 202 0 (202nd day of 1970)

Attached picture 8084936-DateCodeFuelPump.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/23/14 08:21 AM

Fuel pump part#

Attached picture 8084937-Part#FuelPump.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/23/14 08:22 AM

Reproduction PCV hose

Attached picture 8084938-PCVValveHose2.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/23/14 08:23 AM

Restored original Oil Sender

Attached picture 8084939-OilSenderIntrol.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/23/14 08:24 AM

NOS plug Wires showing date codes

Attached picture 8084940-PlugWireDaateCodesA.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/23/14 08:25 AM

Passon 5 speed trans......Not original but can you blame me?

Attached picture 8084941-Passon5Speed.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/23/14 09:58 PM

Looking fantastic Scott! Hey, who did your carb? Love to find an NOS set of date coded orange wires with the orange boots.... And no, Don't blame you on the 5-speed....
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/25/14 03:21 PM

Quote:

Passon 5 speed trans......Not original but can you blame me?

I can't !!! Sweet Mopar eye-candy !!!!

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/28/14 02:12 PM

Scott, You have a date coded/restored fuel pump and a 5 speed trans? You are goofy

Nice work though

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/28/14 03:40 PM

No worries Tom, I also have a dated coded Passon restored 3 speed transmission that I can swap on at any time.....But yes, I'm goofy.
Posted By: Thread Ender1

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/28/14 05:42 PM

Quote:

It appears the caliper is mounted upside down?

Attached picture 8091697-8084924-340Door6.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/28/14 07:30 PM

I just checked on some of my other photos and yes, the calipers were just swapped side to side when I mocked it up, it's since been corrected. I'll be posting more pics of the complete suspension build later.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/28/14 07:59 PM

Wow, that's looking great Scott!

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 04/19/14 01:49 AM

Stopped by the shop this morning. The guys were cutting and buffing. Man that color pops!!!. That was inside. Can't imagine how it will shine outside. Took a look underneath the car. Looks like you used that raptor coating.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 04/19/14 02:28 AM

Looking great! I just saw the dash article in a Chrysler magazine too. Since you went with the 5 speed, how about some nice black twister hood scoops..Hmmm

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 04/19/14 03:51 AM

Looks good!!!
Posted By: johnscudashop

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 05/02/14 10:03 PM

Looking good Scott!!
Posted By: edp

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 05/04/14 05:41 PM

HI, I'm curious is all - was it normal for the factory to actually paint all the exhaust manifolds along with the motor?

That must make a hell of a stink for awhile when it fires off !

thanks.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 05/04/14 05:47 PM

Quote:

HI, I'm curious is all - was it normal for the factory to actually paint all the exhaust manifolds along with the motor?

Pretty much, yes!
Posted By: 1969 HEMI R-T

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 05/04/14 08:34 PM

Scott, very nice. I,m a huge duster fan!

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 05/06/14 04:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

It appears the caliper is mounted upside down?

Negative battery cable ground to block bolt unpainted...you don't miss a thing Scott!

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/07/15 04:05 AM

Well after much delay, major progress! The engine went back in 45 year to the day of it's original SPD.

Attached picture Engine In Duster.jpg
Posted By: mopars_1

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/09/15 12:22 PM

thats exciting!!
Posted By: PasiR

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/10/15 08:31 AM

Looks GOOD!
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/11/15 10:28 PM

work It looks yellow! work No wait, it looks green? scope Nope....there it is yellow again! GY3 is my favorite color, and it's cool that you got the drivetrain back in on it's birthday. bow
Posted By: Geo4K

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/12/15 06:36 AM

You'll be able to see that car from the moon!
Posted By: Brian

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/12/15 06:23 PM

Well Scott, you're ahead of me! Looking fantastic

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/27/15 01:47 AM

popcorn

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/27/15 05:30 AM

For you Bob

Before and after

Attached picture Duster Pre Rotisserie.jpg
Attached picture Duster Hub Caps.jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/28/15 11:32 PM

Coming along nicely, great work Scott!! I can't wait to see it finished!

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 10/29/15 02:16 AM

Thanks Scott, WOW it's really looking sharp. drool
I'll have to try and make it out your way next time I get to Washington.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 02/27/16 11:07 PM

Updates??

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 02/28/16 05:47 AM

Sorry guys, stagnant for now, first issue is that I'm buried in carb work right now (show season is here and every last minute guy on earth sent me carbs). Not complaining, business is good! But my personal projects have taken a temporary backseat.

Also, I am building a new shop (which is awesome!) and it will give me a nice clean final assembly area to finally get the Duster done when things slow down a bit.

The date coded glass set just arrived from ECS so installing all the side windows will be the next big job.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 02/28/16 06:16 PM

Looking good Scott. It's come a long way since I last saw it.
Posted By: jbojo

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 02/29/16 06:11 PM

Nice looking car. Who did you get your rotisserie from, Thx.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 02/29/16 06:50 PM

I bought the rotisserie from my friend Mark Lipton, I believe he got it from Northern Tool #157845. Its not a high end unit but I've been happy with it, plenty strong and got the job done.

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/27/16 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By ScottSmith_Harms
Original fuel pump restored

Does HARMS restore these? Pretty sure I have my factory unit stashed I need to clean it and check the date

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 11/28/16 01:17 AM

No, Fred Ballard ( fredsclassics@hotmail.com ) does the sealed/crimped style fuel pump rebuilds. I rebuild the Hemi style pumps that are held together with screws.

Attached picture Fuel Pump 2.jpg
Attached picture GYC Fuel Pump After B (2).jpg

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/29/18 03:41 AM

Scott, how is this car coming? I know you are super busy, but any updates?

Re: After 8 years my 71 340 Duster is off for paint & body! - 03/29/18 05:35 AM

Hey Bob,

Well yes, updates.....Well, I've actually redone a bunch of stuff that I wasn't completely happy with so progress in reverse I suppose but it hasn't been abandoned in the corner. I have been spending most of my recent spare time getting my new shop organized but am finally nearing the end of that monster job. I've also been working on my 71 Demon driver so I can have some fun in it this summer, also nearing the end of that project so I'll be back on the Duster full time in a month or two and will post more then.
© 2024 Moparts Forums