Moparts

My Super Bee Project

Posted By: moparcyco

My Super Bee Project - 04/06/10 03:29 AM

Hello just noticed this section to post projects just thought you guys might like to follow along.
I have had this car 4 years.I bought it local here it spent its whole life in southeastern Idaho and was exceptionaly rust free,but not completly.I had a bunch of before and disassembly photos but they all got lost .So I will start from when I was in my old house and we just sandblated the car...

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/06/10 03:43 AM

One of the back

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/06/10 03:48 AM

here is one of the under side of the car beautiful frame rails trunk and floors

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/06/10 03:57 AM

Here is me starting on a freshly sandblasted and sanded k-member.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/06/10 04:01 AM

Fastforward about a year and here is the front suspesion complete and ready to install in car.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/06/10 04:07 AM

Here is the rear suspension.Not shown are the new espo springs.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/06/10 04:10 AM

Her is the sunroof fixed

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/06/10 04:17 AM

And almost up to present here is the front suspension installed complete with disc upgrade.Waited to get car on its on weight before hanging door and fenders.Rear quarters have to be replaced so I wanted everything to line up with the car on the ground.I had the hinges rebuilt and all the door hardware plated(photos to come soon)

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/06/10 04:22 AM

Looks good so far. Keep the pics coming. I am a huge fan of the Bees.
Posted By: Kidsixpack

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/07/10 08:52 PM

Looks good so far! What are the specs on the car? Are you restoring it to the tag or will it be custimized?
KID

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/08/10 04:11 AM

It is a 383 4-speed car.No power steering or brakes.Pretty no frills car.Fender tag was gone when I got it,numbers drivetrain was also long gone.So I am going to customize it.I will keep the body stock with the exception of a lift off hood I love those! the car will look factory with subtle upgrades for driveability safety etc.It has the 11.75 disc upgrade that I will post pictures of in a few days.This weekend I am doing the rear brakes.Rounded up all the stuff I nned for some 11 inch drums that will complete the rear.Lots more pics to come

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/08/10 04:23 AM

I was tired the other night when I posted those pics and I now realize I have a pic of the sunroof fixed so here is one before it was fixed.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/14/10 03:53 AM

Here are my fresh rebuilt door hinges

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/14/10 03:57 AM

Here are my latches and strikers as well as the trunk latch and some door hardware back from the platers.Assembly pics to come soon I hope

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/17/10 03:58 AM

I was able to gather up everything for my rear brakes.Upgraded to 11 inch,laid out ready to assemble

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/17/10 04:02 AM

And assembled!not much but feels good to do something.Been a while.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/17/10 04:12 AM

Here is the wheel tire combo that I will be using.Got some new wheels on my 70 challenger so pulled these and put them on to see what it would look like.What do you guys think so far?

Posted By: DynoDave

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/17/10 11:57 PM

Quote:

Here is the rear suspension.Not shown are the new espo springs.

Car looks great.

You are obviously much more graceful around the shop than I am. If I left my grill on the floor, I'd step on it for sure.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/16/11 05:39 AM

Wow been almost a year to the day since I posted any progress that sucks.But finally working on the car again,been gathering all the body pieces I need.got the car out of the garage for the first time in three years.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/16/11 05:43 AM

Another

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/16/11 05:51 AM

Here it is loaded on the trailer going to the body shop.All this guy does is resto's worked at the local Dodge dealer body shop for 30 years so he knows mopars and does fabulous work.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/16/11 06:02 AM

And here is its new home for awhile.I took these last sunday,he already has the quarters cut off and test fitting the new ones. I wish I could type my excitement been a long time coming.

Posted By: Mopar Grandpa

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/16/11 01:44 PM

Looks like you are coming along very nicely and I think it's great that you are doing this car to your specifications. Since the original drive train is gone, you don't have the fender tag and I assume you don't have the build sheet either, none of the "purists" should beat up on you.

I built a '68 Barracuda to my specifications and desires and I just had my NM RR restored to Almost OE specifications and building the Barracuda was A LOT more fun.

Have fun with the build and keep the pictures of your progress coming. What color on the exterior and interior?

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/16/11 06:04 PM

The color is going to be black,always wanted a black B-body.It will have a silver Bee stripe on the rear.Black interior with silver highlights.The interior will look mostly stock except the front seats.I will have lots more pics soon.
Posted By: basketcase

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/16/11 10:11 PM

that's gonna be sweet. but you might wanna do the red stripe.. but it's your car and $$ do what makes you happy!

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/17/11 12:24 AM

I thought about doing the red stripe,but there is another black Bee that runs around here that has the red stripe.I was going to paint it silver like member BeeQuick's Bee that is the car that inspired me to get a Bee instead of a Charger.But I don't want to be a copycat either.You don't think a silver stripe would look good?I can;t remember ever seeing one so hopefully that will set me apart
Posted By: BEEQUIK

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/17/11 01:23 PM

How about red reflective?? Looks killer especially when the light hits it at night.You could also definitely do a silver reflective and any good car graphics place could make it for you.Phoenix car graphics can do it.It's the difference between something that just lays there and something that POPS!!My silver car went to Missoula Montana where it lives the pampered life,no more John Force burnouts or drag racing. Kinda makes me sad and I was thinking of doing another very similar out of a coronet this time but they are hard to find in any kind of good shape.

Attached picture 6588712-IMG_7997.JPG
Posted By: BEEQUIK

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/17/11 01:25 PM

one more.This will make your car stand out and BEE different!!

Attached picture 6588715-IMG_7998.JPG

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/17/11 01:46 PM

never saw a silver stripe. I had a '68 Charger R/T, black with the red stripe and loved it. main thing is do what YOU like!
Posted By: 1969 HEMI R-T

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/17/11 02:31 PM

Lookin good. I too like the 1969 bee's & R/T's. nice pics.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/28/11 04:32 AM

Its getting worked on!It will be in color soon
Here are a couple pics with the quarters off the drivers side

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/28/11 04:49 AM

And the passenger side could not get a real good angle.You can see we cut off the quarter extensions probably could have used em but got new ones instead.I would have took pictures but he working to damn fast!You can see the patches we made from new amd pieces.

Here is a before with everything intact.According to the prior owner a tire came apart after hitting some metal and hit the floor hard.This is the only problem with the entire floor.

another angle

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/28/11 04:57 AM

Was hoping to use the factory wheel house looked real solid till we got the lip off little rot but should not be to big of a deal

another angle

have to replace the outer on the passenger side I'll post pics when we get that far

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/28/11 05:02 AM

Will need to do a little work on the ends of the taillight housing piece.Lots of little things to finish

lots more pics to come stay tuned

Re: My Super Bee Project - 05/06/11 04:24 PM

And here is the patches welded,ground and done.Almost can't tell it was damaged.I would like to say AMD rules! the quarter extensions fit perfectly the parts I used for patches were also perfect needed nothing to fit just right

Re: My Super Bee Project - 05/06/11 04:33 PM

Here is the passenger side quarter skin welded on.I have pics of test fitting and stitch welding but for some reason I cant get them to offload of my camera.Anyone might know why?If they wont I'm going to be pissed.I already lost all my disassembly pics The quarter skins are goodmark I bought these dirt cheap and they really are not to bad.AMD would have been better but I got these almost for free.My body guy says they should not need a whole lot to block out.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 05/07/11 02:14 AM

Here are the fenders I will be using these came off a 4 door they are factory paint took me forever to find good ones they have dents wich are no big deal but no rust!

here is the car they came off also donated its 383 brackets radiator and lots of small parts

Posted By: jpilone

Re: My Super Bee Project - 05/07/11 03:47 AM

Making great progress there! Black is my favorite. It's hard to get right too, but if your painter goes the extra mile, it could look like this:

Attached picture 6621272-D2X_0677.jpg

Re: My Super Bee Project - 05/07/11 04:40 PM

How about a paint code for that black I love how that looks I can't decide on a shade of black.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 05/07/11 11:09 PM

It's PPG Corporate Black, just a plain black base with 6 coats of clear sanded to 3000 grit and buffed to perfection!

Re: My Super Bee Project - 05/26/11 05:08 AM

Got a little done today.Sanded,cleaned and painted my park lamp assemblies.Also installed my new lenses for them.Got theses from BE&A and they look and fit great.

lenses

assembled,not much but still progress

Re: My Super Bee Project - 05/26/11 05:14 AM

Also finished the pedal assembly installed new bearings bushings and pads.Slowly getting there.

And ready to install,I can't wait to get to actually reassemble something for a change.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 07/13/11 05:11 AM

Well not a lot of progress but while the suspension is out again I repainted everything.The first time I did it I knew nothing of paint or quality of paint so it got the krylon makeover not the most durable.So like a crazy person I redid it.The paint that is on there is custom mixed sherwin williams Industrial paint to be a pretty close match to Black phosphate.I think It turned out good much more durable as well.Hope to get the car off the rotisserie soon.

Posted By: CDN72SE

Re: My Super Bee Project - 07/13/11 03:18 PM

Nice job on the parts, they are looking good.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 07/14/11 04:26 AM

Finally finished something for a change!Here are a few pics of the 8 3/4 rear for this car 3.23 sure grip new seals bearings all around.Ready to be installed for good this time I hope

Here is the housing

Installing third member

And done!

Re: My Super Bee Project - 07/16/11 05:16 AM

Got the drivers side quarter on this one did not fit quite as well as the passenger side.Required a little finesse to get it on properly but not to bad.Almost to the really fun part blocking and filling and blocking and blocking did I mention blocking?My body guy has been great with letting me help and teaching me about body work.I am more in his way than helping but I'm learning and can say I helped

Posted By: 70chall440

Re: My Super Bee Project - 07/16/11 06:12 PM

Great project. that should be awesome when completed.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 07/19/11 05:31 AM

Here is another small step.Finished the vent box.turned out nice,hit it with 0000 steel wool then washed real well used sem adhesion promoter and sem landau black.This stuff is great!It is very close to the original platic.Another good tip from here on moparts cleaned the metal part with a dremel and small wire wheel.Hit the whole thing with satin clear.Also had all the hardware done in silver cad.

sem products,I really like there products.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 12/04/11 02:03 AM

Well more progress finally.Here are my us car tool subframe connectors almost fully welded in.I was hoping for a better fit,these took almost four hours a side to trim and gring to get to fit right.But overall they look awesome installed

Re: My Super Bee Project - 12/04/11 02:16 AM

Here are the quarters on with welds ground and starting on the body work.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 12/04/11 02:42 AM

Here ia the underside painted and coated with a sem bed liner undercoat product.Since the underside is now complete I installed the suspension permenantly.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 12/04/11 02:46 AM

here are the quarters a little more roughed in with another coat of primer and guide coat.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 12/04/11 02:55 AM

here are some more shots of the sem bed liner.Used ths all under the car and here where everyone will probably freak the interior floors,inside of the doors,inner fenders,trunk everywhere.This stuff is an awesome sound deadener and heat barrier.Took a ride in a car done this same way.The doors sound so solid when shut and is super quiet inside.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/01/12 06:48 AM

Well finally doing some work again Instead of going with a lift off hood I decided to use a super clean flat hood I purchased from a fellow moparts member and make it look like a lift off style hood.I spent a week measuring and remeasuring,and another week getting the stones to actually start cutting.I decided to go this route instead of the fiberglass for two reasons the first is this will be a driver did not want to worry if it was windy and the hood needed to come off,the second was cost I am only in this setup $200 where as I would have been almost $700 for the fiberglass with shipping.Here are a few pics more to come soon.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/04/12 12:59 AM

How did you attach the scoop to the hood? Looks good.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/04/12 05:50 AM

Its 3m panel bonding adhesive.That is what my body guy suggested,I think it was a good call pretty easy to work with won't crack or ever come apart.
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: My Super Bee Project - 01/04/13 12:31 AM

Any more progress on this build? Looking forward to the finished product!

Re: My Super Bee Project - 01/14/13 07:21 PM

Oh yeah its painted stay tuned for a whole buch of pics

Re: My Super Bee Project - 01/14/13 07:35 PM

Here are a few teaser pics that I took with my phone.Whole bunch more when I get everything uploaded and edited.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 01/14/13 07:49 PM

1 more sorry about the pic size I'm having a hell of a time learning photbuckets new edit crap

Posted By: HotRod20

Re: My Super Bee Project - 01/14/13 08:21 PM

She's a beauty!! nice work. I love how the hood came out!

HR 20

Re: My Super Bee Project - 01/15/13 04:32 AM

Quote:

1 more sorry about the pic size I'm having a hell of a time learning photbuckets new edit crap

Sweet! Hope my Bee turns out that nice!

Re: My Super Bee Project - 01/15/13 05:38 AM

Quote:

She's a beauty!! nice work. I love how the hood came out!

HR 20

Thanks! I am glad I went with the steel hood has A12 flavor without the hassle.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 01/16/13 01:37 AM

holy crap that is sweet! hope you stay with those wheels/tires, that looks mean!
Posted By: wally426ci

Re: My Super Bee Project - 01/16/13 03:05 PM

Looks great!

I believe e-Bodies have trouble with the frame connectors interfering with the e-brake cable.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/07/13 04:38 AM

Its finally freaking warm enough to work again.So it finally is going back togther starting with the firewall insulaton.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/07/13 04:45 AM

also got the pedal assembly in he car as well as the cowl insulation.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/07/13 04:55 AM

I never showed you guys how good the bottom of this hood came out.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/07/13 08:55 AM

Awesome! Wish mine was that far along!

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/22/13 03:52 AM

Got some more done on the car this weekend.Got the K-frame back in.Had had a problem with my power steering box hitting the framerail.Found a new one from a member here.So I had it tanked,and blasted also welded it all up and installed it with the LCA's and torsion bars

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/22/13 04:07 AM

And the LCA's and torsion bars in

Re: My Super Bee Project - 05/05/13 05:17 AM

At the pace I'm going this is going to take ten more years to finish this car.Got one more small thing done today.Installed the vent box and gasket.

Posted By: moparpollack

Re: My Super Bee Project - 05/05/13 01:14 PM

Looks great keep up the good work!

Get yourself a task list it helps you from getting overwhelmed break the tasks down into smaller tasks.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 05/06/13 03:21 AM

Finally got my steering box in.It is a firm feel stage 2 box had some problems with my original K-frame the box hit the inner fender.Before

And after a lot of extra work.Here it is looking how it supposed to.I guess it allowed me to make some great upgrades so its all good.

Its very hard to tell from the photo but it now has .035 clearance.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 05/06/13 05:24 AM

Looking good. I'm making very slow progress on mine. Slow and steady.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 06/03/13 05:29 AM

Its finally time to start doing a little custom work.I tried very hard to make this car appear stock but have a lot of new and updraded components.I got my Firm Feel tubular control arms installed this weekend.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 06/04/13 03:42 PM

You and I think alike. My plans are to do the same thing on both of my cars. Of course getting them running first is a higher priority.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 07/30/13 04:25 AM

got some stuff done this weekend.Got my e-brake mech done and installed with the front cable.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 07/30/13 04:37 AM

Also got the pitman installed along with a sector support.

I stil need the idler have everthing else to button up the steering,getting there

Re: My Super Bee Project - 08/05/13 02:55 AM

Got my rear brake lines in and installed today.the hard lines are stainless from fine lines,I have to say they fit perfect the rubber line is from napa.

Posted By: C_stripes

Re: My Super Bee Project - 12/21/13 05:18 AM

What city are you from? I moved from Logan, ut about a year and a half ago. I was going to buy the car you used for parts from JC auto, but someone (you) beat me to it I guess.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 07/01/14 05:34 AM

I finally scored the engine for this car!I have been looking for almost a year these damn new hemi's sure bring a premium around here.This beauty is from a 2004 Durango paid a little more than I wanted at a $1000 but I cannot find one near here for anything close with these miles.So I pulled the trigger,I pulled everything I could I took the entire wiring harness computer ac lines everthing pretty excited to be working on this car again!

As I posted above at the rate I'm going it going to be forever but one big step down.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 03/04/17 07:34 AM

Well after a long break it's time to finish this car. I got burned out on cars and needed to do other things but I love this car and it needs to be done. So I had Stephan Fournier do my wiper motor with some custom touches looks sweet.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 03/04/17 07:41 AM

Also got the washer bottle tubing and squirters in. Got the wrong pump so need to get the right one.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 03/08/17 07:15 AM

Finally got the motor apart to go to the machine shop.

In preparation for this. Hell yeah F1 Procharger

Re: My Super Bee Project - 03/08/17 07:28 AM

I also enlisted the help of some friends to help mini tub this car so I could use a 285/75/15 tire on steelies. looks sweet.
Posted By: HotRod20

Re: My Super Bee Project - 03/08/17 03:01 PM

Nice continued progress...its a reminder to most of us that rome wasnt built in a day, a year or two...neither is our mopars! great job on the car to date. I love the process and pics. Keep it up my friend.
HR 20
Posted By: Keepat

Re: My Super Bee Project - 03/08/17 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By moparcyco
I also enlisted the help of some friends to help mini tub this car so I could use a 285/75/15 tire on steelies. looks sweet.

WOW car looks awesome with those monster tires!!
Pat

Re: My Super Bee Project - 03/15/17 06:18 AM

Got a little more done. Took the nasty stock headlight buckets and soaked them in evaporust, then hit with 0000 steel wool looks pretty good also got trim rings polished. Moving forward is good.
Posted By: UCUDANT

Re: My Super Bee Project - 03/16/17 02:05 AM

Nice, I've done the same thing, put it on the back burner and then turn the heat up again later. Keep at it we're with ya. Nice ride

Re: My Super Bee Project - 05/26/17 06:44 AM

Got a little more done headlight buckets are in, I must say the adjusters were a royal pain to install but looks good. Also went with hydroboost after installing in my Challenger last year I'll never have another old car without it. Got the firewall brake line in as well.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 05/27/17 08:12 PM

Did you use the same headlight buckets? I discovered an issue with mine when putting the headlights in, because I couldn't get some to line up right (the flutes in the glass). I mixed up a few because I used a different front fender on the car, and the buckets got mixed up. Took me a while to figure out the orientation when putting it all back together, and apart, and back together, and apart, and back together again!

Re: My Super Bee Project - 05/27/17 11:09 PM

yes they are the ones that came with these fenders. I did not know they were side specific or hi-lo specific until I went to install them. But only had to install once

Re: My Super Bee Project - 05/28/17 06:58 AM

Since this car now is fuel injected I decided to use a Tanks inc. tank. Pretty nice quality matches the factory tank pretty well, except obviously the recess for the pump and sender. These have internal baffles and are not much more than a factory replacement tank.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 06/09/17 07:26 AM

Decided long ago this car was getting a/c. Went with a classic auto air kit. Had to modify the firewall pad a little but install was pretty straightforward. Now I need to get the dash finished.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 11/26/17 07:08 AM

The soft trim and dash pads on this car were in great shape to start with

and all cleaned and dyed black

Re: My Super Bee Project - 11/26/17 07:14 AM

I went back and forth trying to decide to paint the dash or not. I decided to have it powder coated. It turned out sweet. Took them a bunch of photos of stock dashes they got the sheen spot on even got "some" oe style texture.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 11/26/17 07:28 AM

And here's the dash with pads.

And installed

Re: My Super Bee Project - 11/27/17 05:35 AM

Came a long way from this.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 11/30/17 04:43 PM

Looking good.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 12/05/17 07:05 AM

Decided to go with a digital dash.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 12/05/17 07:11 AM

Also finally got the motor and transmission installed. Went with an American powertrain TKO 600 kit had to trim the floor a little more than I wanted but its in.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 12/05/17 07:15 AM

And with the motor in got to test fit this bad boy

Re: My Super Bee Project - 03/26/18 04:59 AM

Got headers in. To anyone doing a gen III Hemi the drivers side header is a giant PITA I hope I never have to service the starter.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 03/26/18 05:03 AM

This motor is from a 2004 Durango so I switched valve covers and coils to 06 up. Also had to have some blank fuel rails machined to work.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 03/26/18 05:08 AM

Went with a four core champion radiator. Since this car has a procharger in the way of the p/s reservoir had a friend make and weld a mount for a remote reservoir turned out sweet.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 03/26/18 05:20 AM

Since this car has boost needed a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator. made a bracket that sealed off the egr port and made a nice mount.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 03/26/18 05:25 AM

Running a Holley HP system on this car with Accufab throttle body. Got the harness in very easy, except I had to make a bracket for a gm 3 bar style map sensor for the boost.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 03/26/18 10:38 AM

Man, that's looking good!
Posted By: Morty426

Re: My Super Bee Project - 04/09/18 12:25 PM

Looks like great work so far

Re: My Super Bee Project - 12/31/18 06:43 AM

Ended up having to refabricate the throttle bracket to make everything work out.

That ended up saving my a$$ I took the intake off to make it easier to work with went to clean everything up when I was done and look what I found in my number 1 runner. freaking unbelievable brand new. I could not reach with my fingers nor was it visible. had to get camera just right.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 12/31/18 06:50 AM

Also got the fan assembly on the radiator. Due to the size of this radiator had to cut the corner off to make it clear the strut rod bushing on the passenger side.

And installed. over all looks good has decent clearance to the engine.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 12/31/18 06:59 AM

There is not a lot of choices on where to mount the ecm with the holley harness. pretty much the passenger side kick panel. I made a plate out of sheet aluminum to sandwich the panel worked out pretty well. it ended up mounting very solid. Of course its painted nice as well.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 12/31/18 07:05 AM

I really wanted a tilt column in this car so I ordered an Ididit column. ended up waiting almost four months to get it, very nice quality fit like a glove. You do have to modify the wire cover to work though. Also got the rest of the hydro boost plumbed bled the brakes and clutch.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 12/31/18 07:14 AM

And how it sits now got most of the engine bay wiring,plumbing, etc done.

I was able to drive it to this spot! felt good to hear it come to life. The front need to come up only a few turns on the torsion bar adjusters. stance is nice. now of to the body shop to install glass and finish the paint.

Re: My Super Bee Project - 12/31/18 07:23 AM

I also have been learning how to fix and restore trim. I did all the pieces on this car turned out killer. this is just one all of it looks this good. What do you guys think?

Re: My Super Bee Project - 12/31/18 06:04 PM

Looks awesome! Keep up the great work.
© 2024 Moparts Forums