Moparts

`68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top!

Posted By: DetMatt

`68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/05/10 12:43 PM

I'm 3 years in on this project, but I'll take it from the top. Craigslist find here in the Detroit area. Bought it as a rolling chassis, x-drag car, no engine, trans., fender tag or build sheet. It was just a cheap project car and I was looking for an inexpensive way to get back into the hobby. Been out for a while due to a divorce and the financial turmoil that goes along with it. Here is what it looked like when I got it.

Attached picture 5846487-IMG_1823_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/05/10 12:49 PM

No major alterations on this car so I assumed it was just someones weekend bracket racer. Rear quarter wheel lips were folded up and there was no less than 5 lbs of tire stuck to the wheelhouses on each side, other than that the mods are aparent in the pics.

Attached picture 5846494-IMG_1825_2.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/05/10 12:54 PM

Started stripping it down to see how bad the car actually was and it was bad but I was determined and ambicious so it didn't bother me.

Attached picture 5846499-IMG_2110_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/05/10 12:55 PM

More carnage.

Attached picture 5846501-IMG_1988_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/05/10 12:57 PM

And more!.

Attached picture 5846503-IMG_2111_2.JPG
Posted By: A12

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/05/10 01:00 PM

Quote:

And more!.

"She was a beaut Clark" can't wait to see what you've done with it.......

MikeR

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/05/10 01:04 PM

Besides the usual rust that you find on a 42 year old car I also found a whole other previous race car paint scheme which was very kool and vintage looking as well as intriguing. With the help of this site and some of its great members I have been able to track down some history on it, which is fun in itself. Turns out this car has been on the track since the `70's.

Attached picture 5846514-IMG_2129_4.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/05/10 01:05 PM

More!.

Attached picture 5846515-IMG_2105_3.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/05/10 01:06 PM

And 1 more and then I have to get to work!, but stay tuned, it gets better!.

Attached picture 5846521-IMG_2097_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/05/10 01:10 PM

Quote:

And 1 more and then I have to get to work!, but stay tuned, it gets better!.

Posted By: JS29R0B

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/05/10 01:42 PM

What motor was it originally?
It would be cool to get a small decal made of the dog and stick it on the back window for a little history.

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/05/10 02:17 PM

Quote:

It would be cool to get a small decal made of the dog and stick it on the back window for a little history.

It would be cooler yet to put it back to full MAD DOG in full drag race mode (except maybe not the hood scoop ) and drive it on the street That looks like a pretty cool paint scheme under all that blue paint. "Mad Dog XX" rules
Posted By: klunick

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/05/10 05:43 PM

Quote:

I'm 3 years in on this project, but I'll take it from the top. Craigslist find here in the Detroit area. Bought it as a rolling chassis, x-drag car, no engine, trans., fender tag or build sheet. It was just a cheap project car and I was looking for an inexpensive way to get back into the hobby. Been out for a while due to a divorce and the financial turmoil that goes along with it. Here is what it looked like when I got it.

I love the 68 with the decor package. Welcome to the show!! You may have got back into the hobby cheap, but that is going to run some coin to get back on the road. Trust me. Nothing like buying a driveable Barracuda for $2750 and sinking another $25k into it to get the car right. And that isn't for a show car either.
Posted By: Dougsmopars

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/05/10 09:34 PM

inexpensive and Mopar do not go together. A 20 dollar part for a Chevy is 100 bucks for a Mopar. I did a 68 GTX about 10 years ago. Looked just like that road runner. 6500 worth of sheet metal and a lot of hours later it was a solid car again. The one i have now was in pretty good shape when i got it. Now 25 grand later i'm happy with it. And it didn't need any body work or paint.

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/06/10 12:12 AM

Turns out the car was pretty kool as ordered and maybe pretty rare. Here is what I've been able to determine without any documentation.
383 4 spd, post coupe, LL1 turquoise, no power steering or power brakes, A.C. car with tinted glass, black iterior and I think it came with the decor package. I consider myself lucky to have it!. I was able to get a good deal of the metal I needed to replace with doner parts and was able to save a ton of money.

Attached picture 5847467-IMG_2686_1.JPG
Posted By: RareTA

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/06/10 12:43 AM

Looks like it's coming along well. I sold my 68 LL1 Road Runner a year ago. It is going to be gorgeous when you are done.

Attached picture 5847524-DSCF0001(Medium).JPG
Posted By: Birdturd

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/06/10 03:30 AM

I'll be watchin, Mines a 68 w/ the decor pkg but its B5.

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/06/10 05:33 AM

Quote:

my '68 rr with decor and FF1 mist green metallic

Attached picture 5848053-DSC05951rss.jpg
Posted By: a12superbee

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/06/10 07:46 AM

Most excellent.
<click favorite thread button>

How did you peel the paint off and not go straight to the bone?
I'd love to know whats under the plasti-coat on my car.

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/06/10 11:01 AM

Quote:

Looks like it's coming along well. I sold my 68 LL1 Road Runner a year ago. It is going to be gorgeous when you are done.

Wow, rareT/A that car is beautiful!, must have been hard to sell for you. Did you sell to make room for another one?. I picked up an A66 project car last summer, another craigslist deal that I couldn't pass up!.It is in a little worse shape than the `68 but it has its #'s natching engine and trans with it as well as the fender tag and build sheet. I'll get to that one later.
Back to that doner metal, It was from a `68 Road Runner sitting in high and dry NM and I aquired it through Ebay.The only things that were not reusable on it were the trunk floor extensions and some of that top section but it did have solid lower rear window corners and AMD isn't making all of those commonly rotted parts yet. In a nutshell, I paid way less than half, including shipping, for that pallet of oem parts than I would have had to shell out for repops.

Attached picture 5848176-IMG_2693_5.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/06/10 11:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

my '68 rr with decor and FF1 mist green metallic

Love that FF1, sweet ride!, can't go wrong with B5 either.
Mine didn't need both framerails but since I had that whole section sitting there like that, all preassembled, I thought it would be a shame to take it all apart when I could just do a bunch of prepwork on it and install it as a unit. So that is what I set out to do. Started to remove the parts from the "DOG" one by one, which gave me a good working knowledge of how it was assembled. Before I started dissassembly I mounted the car on that steel rack I fabbed up and transferred a bunch of marks and measurements down to it so that I would have reference points on reassembly. The rack also keeps the car really rigid and in its original position in relation to a centerline.
Keep in mind I have never done anything like this before so if anything I am being to cautious not to F anything up.

Attached picture 5848179-IMG_2821_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/06/10 11:55 AM

Quote:

Most excellent.
<click favorite thread button>

How did you peel the paint off and not go straight to the bone?
I'd love to know whats under the plasti-coat on my car.

I used an environementally friendly aircraft stripper that I bought from a local auto paint store. Unfortunately it messed up the lettering on the quarters, both sides. I was able to figure out the important part of what it said though, which further helped me in tracing the cars history. Here it is with all of the parts removed.

Attached picture 5848218-IMG_2845_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/06/10 12:11 PM

Quote:

Thanks, that is a great idea!. I figure those doors that came on the car really weren't worth reusing but will always have a spot on the wall in my shop.
This is the doner section almost ready for installation. I cut all of the stuff off that I didn't need and cleaned it up really well and used weld through primer in all of the joints.
I was able to sell off parts from that doner piece and even sold a few things that I removed from my car to further offset the cost of the parts. In all I ended up spending about $600.00 for a rust-free lower rear clip. I would have spent 3K with AMD to get those parts and they still would have been a mind-numbing pile of parts in need of assembly.

Attached picture 5848225-IMG_2804_1.JPG
Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/06/10 12:17 PM

You truly are ambitious, my friend, as well as talented. I know a couple of folks capable of what you are doing but I'm not one of them. Keep us posted- that will be a beautiful car when you're done.

Tim

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/06/10 12:49 PM

Quote:

You truly are ambitious, my friend, as well as talented. I know a couple of folks capable of what you are doing but I'm not one of them. Keep us posted- that will be a beautiful car when you're done.

Tim

Thanks brother!.
Next was to rig up the doner part to get it in position.

Attached picture 5848258-IMG_2873_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/06/10 12:57 PM

Once I got it floating there i just moved the car to it, attached some ratchet straps to the frame rails and the other end to the front of the steel jig and pulled it the final 1/2" into place. The chain fall made for the perfect up and down fine tune adjustment until the whole thing was in the exact spot that the old parts came from and then it was just a matter of plug welding. Not including the fab of the jig, the whole process took about 5 or 6 days.

Attached picture 5848269-IMG_2877_2.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/06/10 12:59 PM

More to come later, time to get out to the shop and continue!.

Attached picture 5848272-IMG_2879_1.JPG
Posted By: RareTA

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/06/10 02:10 PM

[quote
Wow, rareT/A that car is beautiful!, must have been hard to sell for you. Did you sell to make room for another one?.

Yes. We only have room for 3 play cars so it got sold to make room for the 09 R/T. To be honest using the cash from the RR we only needed $2500 of our own to pay cash for the R/T.

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/07/10 12:41 PM

Here it is with the new rear frame rail section welded in. Once I had all the plug welds done I disconnected from the chain fall and checked all my measurements and reference points, as I had been doing all the way through the process, OFTEN!. Everything lined up perfect!.

Attached picture 5849983-IMG_2924_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/07/10 12:43 PM

From the bottom.

Attached picture 5849984-IMG_2925_2.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/07/10 12:45 PM

More!

Attached picture 5849985-IMG_2926_3.JPG
Posted By: dodgedakotaman

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/07/10 12:51 PM

Hi, Just curious why you didn't media blast the new section before welding it in?

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/07/10 01:05 PM

After the new sectin was welded in I removed the rest of the old quarters that I had left in for further reference points and started to focus on all of the rot from the leaky lower rear window corners. More parts not being repoped yet so more doner hunting I went and with great success. Another Craigslist ad led me to a `68 coronet parts car that someone else local had brought up from GA, took what he needed off of it and sold the rest to me for almost nothing. It had the solid understructure parts that come down to the top of the wheelhouses as well as a nice package tray and trunk hinge brackets and window corner parts, as well as a bunch of other parts that I will put to good use as I make my way forward on this car. I have already sold off a bunch of parts I didn't need from that deal and ended up with over a thousand bucks back in my pocket. That is like getting paid to buy parts, if that makes any sense at all. With the money I made back on that deal I purchased a pair of full quarters and a pair of trunk floor extensions from AMD. The quarters were scratch and dents from a local dealer that really took only minor hammer and dolly work to straighten and they were less than 50 cents on the dollar. At this point I am well under budget!

Attached picture 5850001-IMG_3121_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/07/10 01:11 PM

Quote:

Hi, Just curious why you didn't media blast the new section before welding it in?

Good?.
I figured it would be more cost affective to have the whole car media blasted and then primed after it was installed but before all of the new outer sheet metal went on. I sand blasted and primed all of the connection points before I installed it.

Attached picture 5850008-IMG_3124_2.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/07/10 01:16 PM

Here it is after I removed the rest of the rusty parts from the back half, did some spot sand blasting and priming, now ready for more assembly.

Attached picture 5850011-IMG_3366_2.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/07/10 01:18 PM

Another shot.

Attached picture 5850014-IMG_3370_4.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/07/10 01:24 PM

At this point I am going to screw and clamp everything together including the new quarters so that I can bolt the trunk lid on and triple check that all is good up to this point before I take it back apart and get the whole understructure media blasted and primed.

Attached picture 5850022-IMG_3390_2.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/07/10 01:25 PM

More.

Attached picture 5850023-IMG_3392_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/07/10 01:28 PM

With some of the money I made back on the extra parts I sold I was able to afford more AMD metal instead of fixing some of the old stuff. I'm toatally excited at this point!!

Attached picture 5850028-IMG_3838_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/07/10 01:35 PM

Another shot, it is starting to look like a car again, even if it is just temporary.

Attached picture 5850042-IMG_3840_3.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/07/10 01:38 PM

1 more for now.

Attached picture 5850047-IMG_3842_2.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/07/10 02:30 PM

Looking really good. Nice work.
Posted By: beatgoeson

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/07/10 02:31 PM

Wow, what a major project, look like your doing a great job!! It is amazing how little paint was applied to these cars back in the day. I'm bet some started rusting while still on the dealers lot.

Attached picture 5850117-bluecar2.jpg
Posted By: demon

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/07/10 03:56 PM

Nice job!
How are the AMD 1/4 panels for fit and finish?

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/07/10 04:14 PM

Quote:

Nice job!
How are the AMD 1/4 panels for fit and finish?

Absolutely no issues with any of the AMD metal!. I'd highly recomend it and if your in the Detroit area and need some, buy it from Dave Radcliff over at roseville Chrysler over on Gratiot. He has an amazing amount of AMD and other aftermarket stuff in stock and you will save tons over buying online and having to pay shipping premiums.
I even went so far as to mount the new bumper I bought over at Roseville, Goodmark, to see how it fit befor I took it all back apart.

Attached picture 5850280-IMG_3928_5.JPG
Posted By: G-Money1320

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/07/10 04:23 PM

Looks good Matt I hope to see it out when you are done with it. Are you still planning to put the 383 in it? Greg

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/07/10 05:01 PM

Quote:

Looks good Matt I hope to see it out when you are done with it. Are you still planning to put the 383 in it? Greg

Thanks Greg, Yes I am going with a 383, I picked one up a couple of years ago, date coded but not an HP because the a.c. cars didn't use the HP blocks. I'm not sure if I am going to install a.c. on it, in fact I seriously doubt it. They say these cars are only original once and this one is obviously far from it. I was even going to replace the firewall with the one I got from that doner Coronet without the a.c. cut outs but I think I decided I better not, who knows what I might do in the future?. I did pick up this intake and carbs for it though, B engine 6 barrel with `70 carbs on it ready to go, in the picture that hardware is sitting on top of the 340 in my project Challenger.

Attached picture 5850356-IMG_4048_2.JPG
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/07/10 05:59 PM

Your one of those guys that drags home the crusty projects no sane person would touch.... Welcome to the club!! Though I gotta say your taking the crusty to a higher level than me..

Looking Great!! Keep up the good work...
Posted By: Iceman01

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/07/10 06:38 PM

Quote:

Your one of those guys that drags home the crusty projects no sane person would touch.... Welcome to the club!! Though I gotta say your taking the crusty to a higher level than me..

Looking Great!! Keep up the good work...

Would love the read AGAR's take on this effort... kinda like coming from a "Takes one to know one" standpoint...
Posted By: 340_Dart

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/08/10 04:26 PM

Great Job! All that hard work will pay off when the car is finished!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/08/10 08:03 PM

Awesome work!

I did a trunk floor and quarters on an E-body 'Cuda by myself and thought that was a ton of work!
Posted By: cdp

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/09/10 03:49 AM

WOW...great job! I may be purchasing a 68 RR thats as rusty (or possibly more) as that one.

You've got great skill and ambition.

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/09/10 12:37 PM

Quote:

WOW...great job! I may be purchasing a 68 RR thats as rusty (or possibly more) as that one.

You've got great skill and ambition.

Thanks for all the comments guys, it has been fun and I will do it again on the A66 car.
cdp, I just read your thread on the green `68 and I'd say go for it, but you see where I am coming from!. If you don't have to pay a lot for that car and can manage to do a lot of the work yourself it could be very worthwhile. I wish mine would have been complete like that, a lot of my time was spent chasing down parts that were missing. Mine is mostly complete now.

Attached picture 5853914-IMG_3991_4.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/09/10 12:45 PM

In preperation for media blasting I removed the interior floorpan and the upper cowl, in my opinion there is no sense blasting and priming parts you know you are going to replace anyway. I also like that some of these frame parts that wouldn't be exposed with the floors in place will be blasted and primed/protected.

Attached picture 5853921-IMG_3992_5.JPG
Posted By: jake71

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/09/10 11:37 PM

Familiar looking boat you're floating in! Excellent work your doing!

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/10/10 02:26 AM

got any close up pics around the rear window area? I'm currently working that on mine

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/10/10 11:27 AM

Quote:

got any close up pics around the rear window area? I'm currently working that on mine

Riley, that is currently what I am working on now and here are some pics.

Attached picture 5855811-IMG_4363_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/10/10 11:47 AM

Here is another one, You'll notice that between the package tray and the outer sheet metal there are 2 pieces. One of which AMD repops, that would be the obvious small black piece, and the other, I am told they will be repoping but aren't yet. I am lucky enough to have found a couple of sets of reusable ones, or at least ones good enough to use as templates to make some home made ones. Looking back on page 1 you'll see a pic of the metal that the package tray attaches to which was also rotted out on mine. I think I am going to attach the bottom piece before I send it off to the media blaster and the top piece (AMD) after, just before I install the quarters.
By now you can probably start to tell that this thread is starting to catch up to where the restoration is at this point.

Attached picture 5855820-IMG_4364_2.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/10/10 11:50 AM

Here is a shot of the 2 pieces still attached to the package tray.

Attached picture 5855821-IMG_3929_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/10/10 11:53 AM

These pics are from the parts from NM and I can take more so pm me if you need them, love to help! .

Attached picture 5855822-IMG_3930_2.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/12/10 12:59 PM

I found one more pic of my rear window corners "before", it doesn't get much worse than that!. There was almost nothing left of the filler panel, in fact someone had riveted aluminum coil stock(for siding)over the gaping holes.

Attached picture 5859994-IMG_3125_1.JPG
Posted By: SD800

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/12/10 01:41 PM

Most people would have parted that, you are a true insperation.
I'm currently working on my 69 RR and when that goes to the body guy I will start on my 68.I bought my 68 out of western Nebraska from a fellow Moparts member.It pretty solid with just the quarters have a little rust, it was originaly Gold with a White vinyl top and green interior

Attached picture 5860029-5476275-68RoadRunner.jpg
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/12/10 02:31 PM

Quote:

My most favorite '68 Road Runner of all time.

Matt.. Great thing you're doing. Keep up the great work......
Posted By: Primer King

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/13/10 02:59 AM

Absolutely great work going on here! I took the "easy road" with my '65 and decided to just go hacked AWB with it; instead of the higher road that you have taken with replacing large pieces of the structure as Ma MoPar intended them to be. My hat is off to you for going thru all the work that you have (and will!) by yourself. Places like MCR have nothing on you! Keep it up!

You'll know that car better than the assemblyline guys who built it by the time you're done. Only original once? Well, ya, maybe. Nobody knows any original cars even 1/4 as well as you'll know that RR when you're done.

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/13/10 12:46 PM

Thanks again for the positive feedback, I'm honored by your comments and it is also a great confidence booster.
I had some rust to contend with at the bottoms of the rear doorjambs as well. With as far as the car is torn apart at this point, I did not want to replace the entire jambs, so I found some nice, solid oem pieces on ebay for a fraction of the cost of the AMDs and cut out the patches that I needed.

Attached picture 5861961-IMG_3165_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/13/10 12:47 PM

That was the passenger side, here is what the drivers side looked like.

Attached picture 5861966-IMG_3171_2.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/13/10 12:57 PM

After on the passenger side, still need to smooth it out a bit and add a little more metal, this one was not perfect but was still in better shape than what was there.

Attached picture 5861977-IMG_3691_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/13/10 01:01 PM

After on the driver side and again still need to smooth it out a little more before I send it off to the media blaster. That is going to be this weekends job, to grind and dress all of the plug welds and the few stitch welds I've done to date.

Attached picture 5861979-IMG_3830_1.JPG
Posted By: rrunner

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/13/10 01:21 PM

Good to see another 68 being saved. I've been slowly parting this one, but was hoping someone would want it for a cheap starter project. Doesn't seem like it will happen so most likely it will be crushed once fully parted.
If you need anything, but sheetmetal, PM me

Attached picture 5862001-ims6-6-09127.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/14/10 02:42 AM

Matt, thanks for the pics I havent tackled this type of work before so seeing the examples helps

-Josh

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/22/10 11:10 AM

Got some more acomplished this past week, the pics might look a little redundent because I have basically welded in all of the parts that I have had test fit. All of the structural parts that come down from the roof to the tops of the wheelhouses, the trunk hinge mounting brackets and the package tray are now welded in. Still have a little welding left on the package tray and then a bunch of grinding before it is off to the media blaster.

Attached picture 5880179-IMG_4381_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/22/10 11:15 AM

I figure after next weekend I will be ready to load it up and send it over to the media blaster and then off to my buddies body shop for a coat of primer before I start installing all of the outer sheet metal.

Attached picture 5880182-IMG_4385_5.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/22/10 11:18 AM

More pics.

Attached picture 5880184-IMG_4386_6.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/22/10 11:19 AM

One more.

Attached picture 5880186-IMG_4388_8.JPG
Posted By: chargervert

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/22/10 07:30 PM

Matt,Dry fit your rear window and window moldings,before you paint the car,some minor modifications are necessary to insure perfect fitment. Use rubber shims the thickness of the window ribbon,to space the glass the correct distance from the window channel. The channel may require some cutting and rewelding,or some hammer shaping. Install all your molding retaining clips in the proper locations. You may spend the better part of a day doing this,but it's better to find out now,than after it's painted.

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/22/10 07:57 PM

Boy, you sure move fast.

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/23/10 11:41 AM

Quote:

Matt,Dry fit your rear window and window moldings,before you paint the car,some minor modifications are necessary to insure perfect fitment. Use rubber shims the thickness of the window ribbon,to space the glass the correct distance from the window channel. The channel may require some cutting and rewelding,or some hammer shaping. Install all your molding retaining clips in the proper locations. You may spend the better part of a day doing this,but it's better to find out now,than after it's painted.

Chargervert, thanks for the info, ironically, a buddy of mine owns a body shop and they just did a restoration on a Chebby. Sent it off to another location to get the glass and some other things installed on it and when they got it back and tried to put the trim on the rear window, they found that the proper spacers were not used and the trim stood off from the glass by a quarter inch. Out comes the new glass, risking damage to the fresh paint and trim, what a waste. You can gaurentee I will be paying close attension to any reassembly that I will not be doing myself.

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/23/10 11:47 AM

Quote:

Boy, you sure move fast.

Thanks, but keep in mind this project started 3 years ago, I feel I'm a little behind schedule, but this s#%t ain't cheap and work is constantly getting in the way!

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/30/10 11:28 AM

Still trying to get it ready for media blasting, if there is anybody out there that thinks this work is not really time consuming, I'm here to tell you it is. Finished welding in all the parts around the package tray and began the tedious task of grinding down all of the plug welds that I have done since I started putting it back together. You definitely have to put yourself in the "zone" for this process! . In order to break up that minotony I finished the repair on the rear tailpanel cross member and here is how that looked.

Attached picture 5896111-IMG_4390_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/30/10 11:31 AM

The rear clip I got from NM had been dragged without suspension on it and that piece got messed up as a result, so I cut it out. The piece that I used to replace it is actually the oirginal one to the car

Attached picture 5896116-IMG_4392_3.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/30/10 11:35 AM

This is actually another thing that I wanted to get done before blasting. Also got a replacement oem radiator core support on ebay last week, mine is really bent up and even has some tears in it along with an added hole or 2, so I will remove and replace it before blasting as well, will post pics of that too.

Attached picture 5896121-IMG_4395_5.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/30/10 11:47 AM

I would never have imagined that I would replace as many parts as I have in this project. Still no regrets and still doing really well on the budget.
Also a huge learning experience that I would consider priceless. What parts will be original to the car?, here is a short list of major parts, roof, rear underseat floorpan, front frame rails, inner and outer rocker assemblies, inner fenders and k-frame with steering and suspension components.

Attached picture 5896132-IMG_4394_4.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/30/10 11:30 PM

Worked on it again today for several hours, more grinding and welding, no pictures, TEDIOUS!!!
Posted By: G-Money1320

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/01/10 02:34 AM

Hey Matt, nobody will ever say that work is not time consuming after watching your progress Its looking good and if you dont get some body shop offers for a job after this I will be shocked You might want to try an E-body convert after your done with the RR Greg

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/01/10 08:41 AM

Quote:

Hey Matt, nobody will ever say that work is not time consuming after watching your progress Its looking good and if you dont get some body shop offers for a job after this I will be shocked You might want to try an E-body convert after your done with the RR Greg

Thanks Greg, do you have a particular E body vert. in mind?.

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/13/10 12:42 AM

Have been working on it a lot lately decided to replace the whole cowl section before media blasting and a coat of primer. I took many precautions to make sure nothing moves when I free this part up. In the process I figured I would replace the radiator core support, because it was pretty beat up, which led to me remove the passenger inner fender because it had been removed at some point and not put back properly. One thing literally leads to another.

Attached picture 5922352-IMG_4442_8.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/13/10 12:47 AM

More!!!

Attached picture 5922368-IMG_4444_10.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/13/10 12:52 AM

Still more!. I just found out I will be going out of town for business in 3 to 5 weeks for 3 weeks, so I am really trying to get it to the media blaster and in to my buddies body shop for primer before I go.

Attached picture 5922380-IMG_4450_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/13/10 12:53 AM

More!!!!!

Attached picture 5922382-IMG_4451_2.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/13/10 01:04 AM

Tempted to have my buddy work on it while I'm away, but I really want to do all of the metal work on my first total resto myself. Man would it be nice to see the quarters on it when I got back though!. As of now the cowl is all but out, one more a-pillar to drill out.

Attached picture 5922396-IMG_4452_3.JPG
Posted By: sleepyhead416

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/13/10 01:20 AM

My project looks small compared to yours. Keep up the good work.
Posted By: Mattyweb

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/13/10 02:32 PM

Matt, thanks for the pics. You are an inspiration. My 68RR is almost as bad as yours so you are motivating me with this post. Question for you: do you need the rear window corners if you are replacing the whole quarter? I'll be replacing my roof with a donor and using the AMD quarters and filler panel, will I still need to get those outer corner peices at the bottom of the window? My inner corners are not too bad so I'll repair those but the outer is so far gone I can't tell what I'll need.
Thanks!
Also, anyone have any suggestions on how to swap out the roof? I have been debating mostly on the front; wether to just cut strait through the pillar and but weld the new one on maybe with a few backing plates inside, or should I try to separate the seams at the top of the windshield? The back I just plan on separating the inner/outer skin at the seams at the top of the 1/4.

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/13/10 03:11 PM

Quote:

Matt, thanks for the pics. You are an inspiration. My 68RR is almost as bad as yours so you are motivating me with this post. Question for you: do you need the rear window corners if you are replacing the whole quarter? I'll be replacing my roof with a donor and using the AMD quarters and filler panel, will I still need to get those outer corner peices at the bottom of the window? My inner corners are not too bad so I'll repair those but the outer is so far gone I can't tell what I'll need.
Thanks!
Mattyweb, thanks for the props. Go back to my posts from March 10th, you will still need the little boomerang shaped corners when replacing the full quarters, unless yours are saveable. I know AMD offers a rear window corner repair kit which you would use if not replacing quarters.
There is a guy named Donny over at FBBO (For B-Bodies Only) another great site who has a thread in the resto forum following the rest on his GTX. His is torn down farther than mine, including the roof skin, maybe check it out and it might be of some help to you. Good luck.

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/13/10 06:55 PM

The cowl is out, looks kind of scary, doesn't it?

Attached picture 5923485-IMG_4459_2.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/13/10 06:56 PM

Another!

Attached picture 5923487-IMG_4460_3.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/13/10 07:03 PM

BTW, HUGE precautions before I did this!!!

Attached picture 5923493-IMG_4462_5.JPG
Posted By: Mattyweb

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/14/10 01:03 AM

Matt, I checked out Donny's GTX build. That's another great resource, thanks!
Here's what I'm working with for a corner, so I don't think I have much I can save. I'll be careful though just in case. I think I can salvage the inner with a little bit of fab work.

That does look a little scary without the cowl on. Did you find alot of lead solder at the bottom of the roof pillars? I started picking at mine to plan out the roof swap and I'm finding alot of lead in there. Original or is that a repair made sometime in its life?

Attached picture 5924106-RearWinCorn.jpg

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/14/10 10:48 AM

Mattyweb, I can almost guarentee you will need the little boomerang shaped window sub-corners and you may need the parts below them as well. The part that attaches the sub-corner to the package tray, I'll repost the pic with the layers of parts that make up these corners. No repops for this one yet, so you may have to fab something up. I may have an extra set, but I won't know for a while.

Attached picture 5924670-IMG_4364_2.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/28/10 12:04 PM

Since I decided to replace the cowl now, I had to do some more home spot sandblasting. In prep for any assembly work I have done so far, I clean and blast the joints to be welded and use a weld through primer and some POR 15. Also doing some repair work on the top of the passenger side rocker under the forward door jamb and prepping the replacement cowl section.

Attached picture 5951492-IMG_4467_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/28/10 12:06 PM

Another 1.

Attached picture 5951493-IMG_4481_3.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/28/10 12:07 PM

More.

Attached picture 5951494-IMG_4497_7.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/28/10 12:08 PM

And more!.

Attached picture 5951497-IMG_4499_8.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/28/10 12:11 PM

And 1 more, hope to have the new cowl on over the weekend.

Attached picture 5951500-IMG_4501_10.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 05/15/10 11:34 AM

Ok, so the cowl is not on yet, had to take some time off this project for another, did some interior work on my dad's Challenger convertible. Started back on the "DOG" yesterday and will be working on it some more over the next week. Began pulling the upper cowl off so that I could properly attach the base of the A-pillars to the new section. It will also be nice to be able to finish off the inside of the upper cowl and won't have to worry about any unseen rust issues.

Attached picture 5983588-IMG_4504_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 05/15/10 11:37 AM

This is the doner cowl section that I will be using, almost done preping it for install.

Attached picture 5983591-IMG_4474_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 05/22/10 12:17 PM

Hit a small snag in the cowl install, turns out the a-pillars were different on the 4-door and the 2-door, so now in a desperate search for the lower section of the a-pillars. Thankfully that is the only difference and I was able to get the cowl test fit and exactly where it needs to go. I hesitate to weld it in until I have the rest of the parts I need, so I did another bit of patchwork on it and tied up some more loose ends on the car.

Attached picture 5996589-IMG_4760_9.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 05/22/10 12:19 PM

It kills me that so many cars got the green treatment back in the day!

Attached picture 5996592-IMG_4759_10.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 05/22/10 12:21 PM

Here is the patch.

Attached picture 5996593-IMG_4770_7.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 05/22/10 12:22 PM

And then...

Attached picture 5996595-IMG_4771_8.JPG
Posted By: cdp

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 05/22/10 04:44 PM

Your doing an awesome job. You must have gonads of titanium to tackle that kind of job! I think most would have deemed it too expensive to repair.

Of course, not everyone has that knind of skill too.

Keep up the great work and updates.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 05/22/10 04:52 PM

Wow, I just found this post. Your talents and determination are inspirational. I am restoring my 1970 ebody from what I used to call the ground up, but after seeing what you guys have to do with the rust issues, I'll just say i'm restoring it now, because the only rust I had was in the rear quarter panel extentions.
My hat is off to you and all who've had to deal with these cars after rust has eaten away at their very core. It's impressive to see what can be done to restore these fine cars to their as-built condition.
Great job with the build and the photo-documentation!

Attached picture 5996989-0805061752(Large).jpg
Posted By: Silver70

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 05/22/10 06:02 PM

It's nice to just go through pics and seeing progress when I know how much work goes into doing all that! If only it could happen that quick Looking great so

Did you find the a-pillar sections?

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 05/22/10 06:27 PM

Quote:

Your doing an awesome job. You must have gonads of titanium to tackle that kind of job! I think most would have deemed it too expensive to repair.

Of course, not everyone has that knind of skill too.

Keep up the great work and updates.

Thanks for the great compliments, they help keep me going!. If you can provide all of your own labor and find some good doner parts as apposed to having to buy the high dollar repop metal for the whole project, it becomes easily affordable, I won't even be burried as far as the budget on this one! . I am not keeping track of my time on this project, being my first, I don't really care to know.

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 05/22/10 07:15 PM

Quote:

Wow, I just found this post. Your talents and determination are inspirational. I am restoring my 1970 ebody from what I used to call the ground up, but after seeing what you guys have to do with the rust issues, I'll just say i'm restoring it now, because the only rust I had was in the rear quarter panel extentions.
My hat is off to you and all who've had to deal with these cars after rust has eaten away at their very core. It's impressive to see what can be done to restore these fine cars to their as-built condition.
Great job with the build and the photo-documentation!

Thank you twice! . That looks like a great project, we should be so lucky here in the rustbelt!. I have a `70 A66 Challenger that I will be restoring next and if you thought the "DOG" was a rough start to a project, you ain't seen nothin' yet!

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 05/22/10 07:43 PM

Quote:

It's nice to just go through pics and seeing progress when I know how much work goes into doing all that! If only it could happen that quick Looking great so

Did you find the a-pillar sections?

I have a pair of pillar sections coming, hopefully they will be nice enough to use. A friend from another forum is cutting them out of a parts car today. If they aren't good enough, I have a back-up pair found, but there pricy.

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 05/23/10 12:41 AM

Ok, figured I'd ask as I pulled over whats left of a 70 2 door I'm starting to cut up and it has good sections.

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 05/23/10 10:09 AM

Quote:

Ok, figured I'd ask as I pulled over whats left of a 70 2 door I'm starting to cut up and it has good sections.

PM sent
I didn't think it was ever going to happen, but I have almost run out of things to do on the chassis/skeleton before it gets media blasted, while I wait for A-pillar sections. I actually started working on the doors I will be using, just dissmantling them for media blast as well and today I think I will start on the fenders which need lower patch panels installed!. I sure hope the installation of all the outer sheet metal goes smoothly.

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 05/27/10 11:23 AM

I received the a-pillar parts yesterday and imediately started to prep them for install. One of them is better than the other, but I think they will both work fine. I will try to have these in by the weekend.

Attached picture 6005462-IMG_4835_2.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 05/27/10 11:25 AM

Here they are after cutting off the parts I don't need.

Attached picture 6005464-IMG_4836_3.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 05/27/10 11:33 AM

Some time in the sandblasting cabinet and a coat or 2 of por and they will be ready. While I was waiting for those parts I started working on the fenders. The ones that were on the car when I got it are actually solid as far as rust is concerned, but 1 of them was to beat up to use, so some time ago I found a pair I hoped would be better locally. I knew they were going to need lower patch panels, so I picked up a pair of those too.

Attached picture 6005466-IMG_4792_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 05/27/10 11:36 AM

Looks like someone tried to fix this with a piece of a metal sign and some really shoddy torch work!

Attached picture 6005470-IMG_4795_3.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 05/27/10 11:43 AM

The support piece at the back edge of the door was also rusted and I had an extra one that was better so I started by cutting out the lower patch and removing the brace. Cleaned and por primed all the areas that won't be accessible after reassembly.

Attached picture 6005476-IMG_4809_3.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 05/27/10 11:47 AM

Here it is after the brace was welded back in and it was at this point that my pillar parts showed up, so I started work on those.

Attached picture 6005478-IMG_4834_1_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 05/30/10 11:53 AM

Got the a-pillar base sections prepped and welded in to the cowl.

Attached picture 6010237-IMG_4842_2.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 05/30/10 11:57 AM

Today the cowl section gets installed for good!. I am very excited for this to be finished because I see it as the end of the hardest part of this resto. Not that I don't have a long way to go, but now it is on to the stuff that makes it look like a car again.

Attached picture 6010240-IMG_4843_3.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 05/30/10 11:59 AM

Also got the fender patch panel trimmed to fit and I just need to weld that sucker on, but that is after the cowl section goes back in.

Attached picture 6010243-IMG_4839_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 05/30/10 12:00 PM

1 more, and I am headed out to the shop.

Attached picture 6010244-IMG_4840_2.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 05/30/10 09:15 PM

I got the cowl about 80% welded in and removed the false work and I am way stoked! .Here are a few pics starting with it clamped in to how it sits now.

Attached picture 6010936-IMG_4844_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 05/30/10 09:29 PM

Happy memorial day to all.

Attached picture 6010955-IMG_4845_2.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 05/30/10 09:30 PM

Another.

Attached picture 6010958-IMG_4847_3.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 05/30/10 09:39 PM

Finishing this cowl installation in my opinion is the end of a major process in this resto and hopefully it will get easier from this point on.

Attached picture 6010973-IMG_4852_3.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 05/30/10 09:43 PM

Another 1..

Attached picture 6010978-IMG_4856_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 05/30/10 09:46 PM

More welded pics.

Attached picture 6010982-IMG_4858_8.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 05/30/10 09:49 PM

Attached picture 6010987-IMG_4859_9.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 05/30/10 09:53 PM

A couple more.

Attached picture 6010993-IMG_4864_12.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 05/30/10 09:55 PM

Tomorrow I'll finish welding it in, grind all the welds, do some touch up welding and grind some more.

Attached picture 6010997-IMG_4861_10.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 06/02/10 11:39 AM

Got it all welded in, ground down the welds and did some touch up welding, also prepped the inner fenders for blasting and installation and welded the patch panel on to the passenger fender. Will have it ready to go in just a few short hours.

Attached picture 6016255-IMG_4865_1.JPG
Posted By: 300by500

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 06/03/10 01:04 AM

Excellent work! It's gonna be beautiful!

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 06/03/10 11:35 AM

Quote:

Excellent work! It's gonna be beautiful!

Thanks, friend.
Posted By: jcuda_440_6

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 06/06/10 01:07 PM

I just got done reading and looking at your photos of the most awesome project that you are doing. You are truly an inspiration to me, you are doing a great job in restoring your car as well as recording your progress for all of us to learn from. I have a 70 e body that is was built at Ham-town and has spent it entire life here in the Detroit area. I have some rust issues that I have been working on. After reading your about your experiences and accomplishments on your car you have given me the kick in the ### to really get out in the shop and get to work. Thank you again and keep us up to date as you continue to bring the "Dog" back to life.
Posted By: Dogpro

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 06/06/10 05:57 PM

WOW! Looking good,before you know it you will be knee deep in body filler dust! Keep up the good work and keep us posted on the progress

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 06/08/10 11:52 AM

Thanks again guys, will be taking it in to the media blaster this week and started cleaning and degreasing the suspension parts and rebuilding a set of door hinges.

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 06/08/10 05:46 PM

Looks like the fun parts over, now comes the mud work and sanding. Keep up the progress

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 06/12/10 11:44 AM

I delivered the "DOG" to the media blaster yesterday and I am very excited about it!

Attached picture 6032808-IMG_4873_7.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 06/25/10 09:46 PM

Quote:

Looks like the fun parts over, now comes the mud work and sanding. Keep up the progress

Fun part?, so far I've had fun with the whole project. I picked it up from Georges Collision, where it was media blasted, and took it over to my buddies body shop, where I will finish doing all of the metal work and then it will be prepped and painted by the pros there. I'm not doing any of the filler or paint work, just the metal work.
Here it is after media blasting, I'd highly recommend Georges for that, if your in the Detroit area. He is on 9 mile in Eastpoint.
I had to drive by Roseville Chrysler, on Gratiot, home of Roseville Moparts and David Radcliff who helped me out with some great deals on the parts I needed for this project.

Attached picture 6054383-IMG_4930_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 06/25/10 09:48 PM

Here is another and more to come.

Attached picture 6054387-IMG_4947_13.JPG
Posted By: MarPar

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 06/25/10 10:43 PM

Lookin' great Matt!!!

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 06/26/10 05:18 AM

So how many hours do you think you have in so far?
I know you had a bit of a backlog of pictures in the beginning but the thread only a few months old, you move pretty fast.
If it was short by one more piece of metal I don't think it would have technically even been a car.

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 06/26/10 11:55 AM

Quote:

So how many hours do you think you have in so far?
I know you had a bit of a backlog of pictures in the beginning but the thread only a few months old, you move pretty fast.
If it was short by one more piece of metal I don't think it would have technically even been a car.

Thanks Marpar!!
I have no idea how many hours I have in to it. I purposefully did not keep track because this is my first resto and I am doing it for myself. Part of me wishes I had been keeping track, but that didn't kick in till recently, so I don't even think I could guess. I started on it 3 and a half years ago, stripping paint off with chemicles, and there have been several periods of time where I didn't touch it for months on end. I have been spending a lot of time on it lately, I am very motivated to get this one finished.

Attached picture 6055074-IMG_4935_6.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 06/26/10 12:07 PM

More freshly blasted pics

Attached picture 6055088-IMG_4938_8.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 06/26/10 12:13 PM

I will be going out of town for a few weeks here in the next couple of days, but I'm hoping for it to be primed before I go. Going over to work on it this morning for a few hours. All of the parts that were blasted look good, I'll take more pics today.

Attached picture 6055090-IMG_4941_10.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 06/26/10 12:16 PM

Looks totally different, I am very pleased with how it is turning out.

Attached picture 6055093-IMG_4950_18.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 06/26/10 12:22 PM

I am kind of bummed that I can't just walk out into my shop and work on it out there, but it's only a 25 minute drive to Royal Oak, so I'll get over it.

Attached picture 6055098-IMG_4951_19.JPG
Posted By: MachoMan

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 06/26/10 12:51 PM

Quote:

Still no regrets and still doing really well on the budget.

too late for that.

unbelieveable

10-15yrs ago, that car would've seen the JY.
you are making this look to easy.

totally awesome!!
can't wait to see the final copy, BUT the "get to that point" story is far more interesting.

i wish i had your drive.

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 06/26/10 05:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Still no regrets and still doing really well on the budget.

too late for that.

unbelieveable

10-15yrs ago, that car would've seen the JY.
you are making this look to easy.

totally awesome!!
can't wait to see the final copy, BUT the "get to that point" story is far more interesting.

i wish i had your drive.

Thanks alot for the kind words, can't wait till it's wearing paint, hopefully by the end of summer. B & B Collision on Main St. in Royal Oak is where I will finish assembly and they will take care of the rest of the bodywork and paint.

Attached picture 6055378-IMG_4943_11.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 06/27/10 12:01 PM

More clean parts.

Attached picture 6056320-IMG_4961_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 07/08/10 11:32 AM

I got these pics yesterday from my friend Randy over at B&B, I am still out of town and will be for another week and a half. Nice to see things getting done without me for the first time!

Attached picture 6074886-MVC-005S.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 07/08/10 11:34 AM

Wish the pics were a little brighter, but it is still good to see some primer on it.

Attached picture 6074887-MVC-007S.JPG
Posted By: JulesdaWiperman

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 07/08/10 01:13 PM

Attached picture 6074988-6074886-MVC-005S.jpg

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 07/08/10 01:13 PM

Attached picture 6074990-6074887-MVC-007S.jpg
Posted By: RestoRick

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 07/08/10 01:38 PM

LOL... 'ya beat me to it Jules!!

Lookin' awesome Matt...

Rick

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 07/08/10 02:42 PM

Sorry Rick.
I was curious about the thread and was waiting for a phone call so I decided to help out.
Jules

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 07/08/10 03:10 PM

Thanks guys, much better.

Attached picture 6075135-MVC-003S.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 08/12/10 12:35 PM

Work has been keeping me very busy, but I have started to find some time here and there to work on the "DOG". Fixed a thin spot on the firewall with a patch and got some extra holes filled on the passenger inner fender before installing it. Getting some paint mixed up to paint the top of the lower cowl before I install the upper cowl.

Attached picture 6136024-IMG_5127_5.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 08/12/10 12:46 PM

Picked up a front disc brake conversion kit by "Right Stuff" and will be placing an order with PST for the front end rebuild kit. Also getting everything together for my rear end and about to have my steering column restored.

Attached picture 6136031-IMG_5126_4.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 09/01/10 12:43 PM

Got the top of the lower cowl painted and used panel bonding adhesive to install the upper cowl. The adhesive will create a perfect seal for that plenum and now when you look down through the vents in front of the windshield you will see a nice finish rather than just whatever overspray managed to make it down there.

Attached picture 6171082-IMG_5293_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 09/01/10 12:46 PM

Upper cowl installed!

Attached picture 6171087-IMG_5295_5.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 09/01/10 12:52 PM

Installed the driver side inner fender apron and prepped the interior floorpan and rear footwell pans for installation.

Attached picture 6171100-IMG_5297_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 09/03/10 12:44 PM

Front floor pan and rear footwell pans installed.

Attached picture 6175236-IMG_5308_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 09/03/10 12:48 PM

Cut the hole in the floor and installed the hump.

Attached picture 6175241-IMG_5317_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 01/22/11 08:48 PM

Been a while since I posted, got very busy with work this fall and into winter, then the holidays, glad thats over! Now back to work on the "DOG". Getting ready to weld the quarters on and for that matter finish the final assembly before paint.

Attached picture 6432447-IMG_6000_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 01/22/11 08:55 PM

Once I get all the bolt on panels back on and the quarters firmly screwed back into place so that all of my body lines and panel gaps are the way they should be, I can finally weld the rest of it together for good.

Attached picture 6432460-IMG_6003_3.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 01/22/11 08:59 PM

Another pic.

Attached picture 6432467-IMG_6005_5.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 01/22/11 10:15 PM

Cars looking great. Nice job on it so far. Going to be a nice ride when done.
Posted By: RemCharger

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 01/23/11 06:23 PM

You aren't shy around the metal .....
Thats a very awesome job...

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 02/20/11 02:55 PM

These quarters are proving to be difficult to get right. I can't really say anything bad about AMD because I bought these panels as scratch and dents and got a really nice deal on them but I'm thinking they may have been a little more tweeked out of shape then they appeared to be. The passenger side c-pillar is warped out of shape and is creating a kind of dogleg line next to the rear glass and as a result that lower rear window corner isn't lining up with the package tray corner. On the drivers side the wheel opening isn't lining up with the outer wheelhouse, it appears as though the wheelhouse needs to move 3/8's of an inch to the rear but I am certain that the discrepancy lies on the quarter. Anyway I will continue to play with it until I'm satisfied before I weld it all up for good. Got the trunklid and the tail light extensions back on in order to get proper fitment and also set the back glass in to see how it fit with the new quarters.

Attached picture 6485665-IMG_6046_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 02/20/11 02:58 PM

Looking more and more like a car, I only wish I was welding instead of screwing at this point, as it pertains to the car of course.

Attached picture 6485668-IMG_6048_2.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 02/20/11 03:00 PM

More....

Attached picture 6485669-IMG_6053_4.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 02/20/11 03:01 PM

One more for now.

Attached picture 6485671-IMG_6054_5.JPG
Posted By: bschargerse

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 02/20/11 03:20 PM

I haven't been in the Resto forum for about a year, I'm glad I stumbled over here. Great job!!!

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 02/21/11 01:49 PM

Thanks, it has been fun and I can't wait to see it in paint.

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/30/11 12:59 PM

Time has been tight lately, only been working on it for a few hours a week. Had some fitment issues with the quarters that I have been dealing with one by one. First was the drivers side door jamb, gap was good at the top and the door was almost overlapping at the bottom. At this point I triplechecked all of my work to make sure I didn't let something get away from me and everything checked out square front to back and top to bottom. Now it's just a matter of making the quarters fit. I removed some material from the quarter in order to even out the gap at the doorjamb and stitched it back together.

Attached picture 6557384-IMG_6091_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/30/11 01:02 PM

Last pic was before, here is the metal I removed.

Attached picture 6557389-IMG_6102_8.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/30/11 01:09 PM

Here is a better pic of the metal I removed.

Attached picture 6557393-IMG_6103_9.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/30/11 01:11 PM

Then I stitched it back together.

Attached picture 6557395-IMG_6104_10.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/30/11 01:13 PM

Finished product!

Attached picture 6557399-IMG_6113_17.JPG
Posted By: MRHWS

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/30/11 02:43 PM

Outstanding work. Another day closer
Posted By: JcodeCharger

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/02/11 02:40 AM

Wow! Its looking great! You must feel a wave of pride and accomplishment at this point. Congrats.
Posted By: basketcase

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/03/11 08:54 AM

dang! and I'd be happy just to have my 1/4 skins put on!
you're doing a fantastic job. glad to see another mopar saved.

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/03/11 01:24 PM

Thanks for the kind words gents! This has been a very satisfying project but I can't wait for it to be on the road, still a lot of work ahead but getting close to paint. Had to make another mod to the passenger side quarter on the C-pillar in order to get it to fit right. Similar to my last posts, had to remove some material and stitch back together.

Attached picture 6565508-IMG_6114_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/03/11 01:28 PM

I have been told I am not the only one dealing with similar issues on these quarters so I guess it's just the nature of the beast.

Attached picture 6565517-IMG_6116_2.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/03/11 01:31 PM

After addressing these couple of issues I began final installation of both quarters and currently have them about 75% welded up.

Attached picture 6565522-IMG_6118_3.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/03/11 01:37 PM

Last pic of repair.

Attached picture 6565529-IMG_6128_4.JPG
Posted By: BEEQUIK

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/05/11 03:35 AM

Great work there,you have fortitude! Be sure you check the rear glass chrome moldings for fit as the new qtrs are not the same shape as the moldings!!Don't ask me how I know...

Attached picture 6568882-IMG_0262.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/05/11 11:38 AM

Hey thanks Beequik, I did test fit my trim and also checked my dimensions against another b-body that was in the shop for a few days. Nice looking project you have going there my friend!

Attached picture 6569213-IMG_6050_1.JPG
Posted By: ready2go69

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/06/11 12:58 PM

Amazing work!!!!!!

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/17/11 04:54 PM

Still working through some issues with the quarters, here is the next 1 that I dealt with. A difference in the C-pillar transition from one side to the other of a half inch.

Attached picture 6589023-IMG_6208_2.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/17/11 04:58 PM

Other side, first thing I did was to strip the e-coat so as not to beat it into the panel as I hammer it into shape.

Attached picture 6589028-IMG_6207_1.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/17/11 05:01 PM

The drivers side seemed to look right so I then made a cardboard template to it, which showed how far off the quarters were from eachother.

Attached picture 6589032-IMG_6211_5.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/17/11 05:03 PM

I knew something didn't look right but didn't expect to find them this far off!

Attached picture 6589038-IMG_6210_4.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/17/11 05:06 PM

Next was to choose the proper tools, I think these will work.

Attached picture 6589045-IMG_6212_6.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/17/11 05:12 PM

Worked pretty good and I was suprised at how hard I was swinging that BFH at that panel and not totally destroying it.

Attached picture 6589053-IMG_6213_7.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/17/11 05:19 PM

After the beating I needed to close up the rear window opening by about 3/8" to match the other side. I chose to weld these brackets into the window channel as a means to draw the quarter up towards the roof.

Attached picture 6589064-IMG_6215_9.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/17/11 05:22 PM

Here is one advantage to finishing up this resto at my buddies body shop, use of some pretty handy tools that I don't own!

Attached picture 6589069-IMG_6216_10.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/24/11 03:56 PM

Little assembly of the lower/inner rear window corners, both sides.

Attached picture 6600378-IMG_6224_4.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/24/11 03:59 PM

I don't think these are being repopped yet and I am thankful to have gotten some off of doner vehicles.

Attached picture 6600385-IMG_6225_5.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/24/11 04:04 PM

Here is one side done, other side went the same and next will be the small AMD corner pieces that go on top of these and under the window channel of the full quarter and then the filler panel.

Attached picture 6600391-IMG_6231_9.JPG

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/24/11 04:17 PM

AMD does sell those pieces Matt.

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 04/24/11 11:28 PM

Quote:

AMD does sell those pieces Matt.

I knew they were going to, just didn't know when and I don't have one of there recent catalogs.
Posted By: dvw

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 01/16/12 02:47 PM

Whats happened to this project? It was very interesting. Way more work than I would have done on a 383 car. After going this far you couldn't stop.
Doug

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 01/16/12 03:25 PM

It has been a while. Haven't made much progress on it lately. Been very busy with work, but will post a progress report soon. Thanks for not forgetting about the "DOG"!
Posted By: 68427vette

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 01/19/12 11:28 PM

the "dog" is sniffing at his A66 challenger

keep up the good work!!

Posted By: rgreule

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 01/21/12 07:03 PM

Very nice work keep it up.

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 01/22/12 01:25 PM

Quote:

Very nice work keep it up.

Thanks! I will be getting the machine work started on the engine this week and hopefully spending some time with it at the body shop to see if any progress has been made in my absence.
Yep A66 too!
Posted By: EK2Runner

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 11/26/12 12:09 AM

Great thread ! How have things progressed ?
Posted By: wannadrag

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 11/27/12 02:15 AM

He just posted today over on FBBO that its getting real close to color time

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 11/27/12 03:15 AM

Ya, he is a busy guy.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 12/01/16 02:14 AM

Any updates on this project?
Posted By: fc7_plumcrazy

Re: `68 RR resto "JUNKYARD DOG" from the top! - 03/01/17 03:18 AM

I think Matt is not posting here anymore