Moparts

A.G.A.R: AAR clone ALL DONE!

Posted By: anlauto

A.G.A.R: AAR clone ALL DONE! - 07/29/09 01:30 AM

Ok, so this was dropped off back in January....
An AAR clone....

Attached picture 5382415-Marty\'sAAR(6).jpg

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 07/29/09 01:31 AM

...and this was dropped off today...

Attached picture 5382420-Marty\'sCudaJuly2809001.jpg

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 07/29/09 01:32 AM

I'm saying three weeks tops!

Attached picture 5382423-Marty\'sCudaJuly2809004.jpg
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 07/29/09 01:33 AM

Alan,
I'm curious , How big is your garage ?

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 07/29/09 02:54 AM

Quote:

Alan,

What you see is what you get....Not quite a 2 car garage...
Posted By: MrNormsTA

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 07/29/09 02:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Alan,

What you see is what you get....Not quite a 2 car garage...

No wonder you specialize in e bodies.
Posted By: carcrazyguy

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 07/29/09 03:07 AM

Do you have someone that does machine work/engine building or do you do that while the car is being painted?

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 07/29/09 10:25 AM

Quote:

Do you have someone that does machine work/engine building or do you do that while the car is being painted?

It's been about 50/50 with customer's cars.
Some have brought me there engines already built, or I will bring their engine to the builder of thier choice.

ALL of my cars and some of my customer's engines were built by me. Of course I farm out the machine work, but I do all the assembly.

While the car's being painted I do every other componet restoration.
Posted By: 85_Ram_4speed

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 07/29/09 10:48 AM

Quote:

While the car's being painted I do every other componet restoration.

Where are your tools. I assume if your doing other parts that are smaller, you have things like a compressor, blast cabinet, rollaway cabinet, rack for hanging painted parts, ETC.

Just wondering, because you always show off the beautiful work but an empty garage, LOL.

Thanks for sharing the pics, i always like to see cars going together.

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 07/29/09 11:00 AM

At the very back of the garage is a staircase to approximately 1200sq/ft basement that is set-up as a work shop, and parts storage, with the exception of painting which is done in the garage (when empty perferably)
Posted By: jdr2483

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 07/29/09 11:16 AM

Quote:

Offer still stands to help get the car to him.
Posted By: rrbrucea

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 07/29/09 12:18 PM

Quote:

Hey, I see some BarrelCuda art on the walls! You don't waste any time, do you?
Posted By: jrwoodjoe

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 07/29/09 12:23 PM

Looks nice Alan. Sublime looks great on AAR cars.
Posted By: Mr. Smurf

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 07/29/09 01:10 PM

I gotta give you credit on your work ethic and turnaround time! Not to mention the quality of your work.

Ed

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 07/30/09 12:12 AM

Quote:

I had one "Plak-it" which is in the garage, one is being put into a proper frame and the third was given to Keith Sim...Keith made an extremly cool frame with his plasma cutter and some grinded up steel...
I just wish I could figure out hoe to copy the .tif file into a smaller format so I could email it to friends.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 07/30/09 12:22 AM

What gets me is how you can put a whole car back into working 100% without messing up some part of the paint.
I had a few spots that needed fixing on all thar cars I have done.
And the hood is hard to get right as well.
I would send you a car if I had the $$$. But I have more time than anything including money and brains
Posted By: AZ_A12_BEE

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 07/30/09 02:00 AM

Quote:

I wish I had your dedication.

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 07/30/09 02:26 AM

Probably a dumb question but I have never had a car done like this, yet....so as parts are needed do you have the customer ship the parts to you? Or do you have a deal with a major supplier to get a break on parts and then you bill the customer for them?

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 07/30/09 11:50 AM

Quote:

Probably a dumb question but I have never had a car done like this, yet....so as parts are needed do you have the customer ship the parts to you? Or do you have a deal with a major supplier to get a break on parts and then you bill the customer for them?

I go both ways

The customer gets what he or she wants....If they want to get involved in the parts buying that's fine with me as long as they get the proper parts. A lot of times I find them buying the wrong stuff or paying way too much for something.
A customer went to Carlisle with me and was all happy that he found the vinyl top trim he needed for his Cuda....The look on his face when I took 3 seconds to tell him it was for a Challenger was priceless---a lesson learned.

I don't buy from large places like Year One, rather I buy from smaller guys like Bill Allphin, Tom at R/T's or Jamie from MegaParts....They all cut me a great deal when I buy large orders.
If I'm fronting the money, making the calls, picking up the parts then I charge 15% over my exact cost...keep in mind that I get 10%-15% off when I make the purchase, and I buy in bulk usually splitting the shipping between two or three customers...
Posted By: rrbrucea

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 07/30/09 12:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I had one "Plak-it" which is in the garage, one is being put into a proper frame and the third was given to Keith Sim...Keith made an extremly cool frame with his plasma cutter and some grinded up steel...
I just wish I could figure out hoe to copy the .tif file into a smaller format so I could email it to friends.

Hey Alan, try the jpeg file I just emailed to you. At 12" wide and only 150 dpi it's much smaller than that huge .tif file. All you had to do was ask... Think you could get a pic of Keith's copy in his frame?

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 07/30/09 08:43 PM

Quote:

A lot of times I find them buying the wrong stuff or paying way too much for something.

....They all cut me a great deal when I buy large orders.......... usually splitting the shipping between two or three customers...

That is why I was asking. I had thought about starting to buy a few things for my car. However, I buy them now let them sit for a year or two (hope I don't have to wait that long), then they don't fit right or not the exact right part.... I will just keep putting that money into the car savings account....
Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 07/30/09 09:48 PM

Alan, I dig what you do man. When my car finally comes together, you will be hearing too much from me!!!
Posted By: hemi_rtdave

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 08/02/09 12:27 AM

Alan: You have had this car a week now. It must be close to completion. Pics please!!

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 08/02/09 11:48 AM

Quote:

Alan: You have had this car a week now. It must be close to completion. Pics please!!

Ok so Saturday was a wash (Family day ) didn't get anything done....Although it's the long weekend here I most likely won't get much time on the car...I will try and post pictures tonight or tomorrow.....and yes, you're correct in assuming it's almost finished....LoL
Posted By: SRT6776

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 08/02/09 01:41 PM

Did that car have a 440 in it and come from the Cambridge area by any chance? There use to be an AAR clone the same colour built by "Tony" in the 90's that had a 340 six pack, but the guy he sold it to ripped it out and put in a 440!

Re: A.G.A.R: GREEN one UPDATE! - 08/04/09 12:22 AM

Ok.....My friend helped me with installing the glass and vinyl roof this weekend.....

Attached picture 5395387-Marty\'sCudaAug309007.jpg

Re: A.G.A.R: GREEN one UPDATE! - 08/04/09 12:23 AM

With the exception of the exhaust and driveshaft, the underside is complete...

Attached picture 5395392-Marty\'sCudaAug309001.jpg

Re: A.G.A.R: GREEN one UPDATE! - 08/04/09 12:25 AM

I've only been able to invest 33hrs so far the the re-assembly....I'm leaving foe Montreal this week so I can't get back at it until the 10th

Attached picture 5395397-Marty\'sCudaAug309005.jpg

Re: A.G.A.R: GREEN one UPDATE! - 08/04/09 12:26 AM

I figure 20- 30 hrs more and I'm on to the next one

Attached picture 5395400-Marty\'sCudaAug309006.jpg

Re: A.G.A.R: GREEN one UPDATE! - 08/04/09 12:29 AM

Don't ask about the engine compartment....IT"S EXACTLY HOW THE OWNER WANTS IT !

rad

Attached picture 5395410-Marty\'sCudaAug309008.jpg
Posted By: magnumcharger

Re: A.G.A.R: GREEN one UPDATE! - 08/04/09 12:31 AM

Sweeeeeet!!
Posted By: 71sat440

Re: A.G.A.R: GREEN one UPDATE! - 08/04/09 12:32 AM

Quote:

rad

looks kinda out of place.........
Posted By: 71TA

Re: A.G.A.R: GREEN one UPDATE! - 08/04/09 12:43 AM

But the crossflows WORK. My 470" with a big crossflow (by Best Machine) works great!
Posted By: YYZ

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 08/04/09 12:55 AM

Quote:

Did that car have a 440 in it and come from the Cambridge area by any chance? There use to be an AAR clone the same colour built by "Tony" in the 90's that had a 340 six pack, but the guy he sold it to ripped it out and put in a 440!

If it's the 'Tony' from Cambridge, there was a real sublime AAR that had come out of the Wellesley area and ended up in his hands for a while.

That said, if we're talking about the same 'Tony', he's known for his butchery on clones, among other things. Took a B5/white V-code '70 Runner and had it painted sublime as well....

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 08/04/09 01:55 AM

This would NOT be that car. I don't believe this car was ever green before, nor do I believe it was ever on the road in the last couple of decades.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 08/04/09 02:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

A lot of times I find them buying the wrong stuff or paying way too much for something.

....They all cut me a great deal when I buy large orders.......... usually splitting the shipping between two or three customers...

That is why I was asking. I had thought about starting to buy a few things for my car. However, I buy them now let them sit for a year or two (hope I don't have to wait that long), then they don't fit right or not the exact right part.... I will just keep putting that money into the car savings account....

Your post was not addressed to me but woul like to put in my $0.02
I have parts I restored and are bought new from 94 to now that are in boxes and bags.
Plus all the stuff from the dart sport back in 2004{finished in 2005} when I was putting the dart sport back in one piece i was getting mixed up and was tring to use E body stuff on it. like stearing componits, A arms ect.
Now I Am down to just parts from one car.
Back then before 2005 when it was finsihed I had parts everywhere and I meen everywhare
On a full blown resto there are so many parts it is crazy.
It makes you wonder how many are realy on a car
Since july 29th 2005 the home was damaged I had to redo plenty of stuff that was already redone again a seconf time.
I am now down to just 3 car items inside the home now.
1)A polished 727 in the dinning room
2)The convertable roof assy. behind the sofa
3}The whole redone dash assy with new JustDashes Pad on top the entertainment center
The rest is in the attic
I can only guess that Alan's attic and basement are 100% full

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 08/04/09 11:09 AM

Quote:

This would NOT be that car. I don't believe this car was ever green before, nor do I believe it was ever on the road in the last couple of decades.

I didn't mean the one that you're working on - I was replying to TurboAWD's post about the car from Cambridge.....
Posted By: SRT6776

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 08/04/09 11:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

If it's the 'Tony' from Cambridge, there was a real sublime AAR that had come out of the Wellesley area and ended up in his hands for a while.

That said, if we're talking about the same 'Tony', he's known for his butchery on clones, among other things. Took a B5/white V-code '70 Runner and had it painted sublime as well....

Hmmmm that 70 may very well ended up turned into a Superbird...

About the AAR, I always thought it was a clone. Who knew...and if it was the AGAR car I was going to say it went down hill fast, the one I am talking about use to be a show car not that many years ago.

Anyways, thanks for clearing that up.

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 08/04/09 11:59 AM

Wouldn't surprise me with that scammer....

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 08/14/09 09:10 PM

Quote:

Ok ok ok....I lied....I've had the car here 17 days, of those days a I took off on a family vacation for 5 days in Montreal....

I've spent 50 hrs on it...

Attached picture 5417694-Marty\'sCudaAug1409002.jpg

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 08/14/09 09:12 PM

You know I don't put them on the driveway until they move under their own power....

Attached picture 5417700-Marty\'sCudaAug1409011.jpg

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 08/14/09 09:13 PM

I would say it turned out very nice, the paint is incredible.
The owner hasn't seen it finished yet, of course you guys are the first!

Attached picture 5417704-Marty\'sCudaAug1409013.jpg

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 08/14/09 09:15 PM

I have a short list of bugs to work out, and it needs an alignment...
It'll have to wait until Monday now...It's MOPARFEST TIME !

Attached picture 5417708-Marty\'sCudaAug1409005.jpg
Posted By: Pat_Whalen

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 08/14/09 09:15 PM

For the AARs, are the noses supposed to dip that low or was that another option from the customer? Car looks great by the way!
Posted By: Neil

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 08/14/09 09:16 PM

Nice!

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 08/14/09 09:17 PM

The day this leaves I will have enough time to sweep the floor and then the next one comes in....Busy times...and to think my Summer vacation is almost over

Attached picture 5417715-Marty\'sCudaAug1409007.jpg
Posted By: superbeeadam

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 08/15/09 01:03 AM

Another great job

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 08/15/09 01:14 AM

Quote:

The day this leaves I will have enough time to sweep the floor and then the next one comes in....Busy times...and to think my Summer vacation is almost over

Looks great....What's next?
Posted By: calmopar

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 08/15/09 01:21 AM

That was fast!
Posted By: burdar

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 08/15/09 02:25 AM

You didn't take many pictures of that one. I guess taking pics would slow down your assemble process.

For someone who is going to be assembling an E-body over the winter...it's nice to see as many pics as possible.

The car looks great. I hope I will be able to do as good of a job with mine.
Posted By: Shakey

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 08/17/09 12:34 PM

Looks excellent!
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 08/17/09 12:47 PM

so you've got 50 hours into reassembly...how many hours got billed on the whole job?
Posted By: PAINT IT BLACK

Re: A.G.A.R: GREEN one UPDATE! - 08/17/09 01:23 PM

Quote:

rad

That guy needs one of my air cleaner base plates.
Posted By: PAINT IT BLACK

Re: A.G.A.R: GREEN one UPDATE! - 08/17/09 01:24 PM

BTW nice job!

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 08/17/09 03:09 PM

Quote:

so you've got 50 hours into reassembly...how many hours got billed on the whole job?

Roughly 225 hrs total of my time.

Body and paint was outsourced. They claim to have spent 342 hrs on it, but only bill for half that
Posted By: tippytoe

Re: A.G.A.R: Another GREEN one! - 08/17/09 03:36 PM

Quote:

Looks great....What's next?

Can't wait to see the next one.
© 2024 Moparts Forums